6.1

1. Aug 27, 2014
    People tend to compare Divergent to The Hunger Games. Yes you will feel that way in the beginning but after a while you will see it differently. It covers social issue, politics, action, youths and family. I love the soundtracks.
  2. Aug 22, 2014
    This is one of the best movies that has been made since Elysium with Matt Damon. All of the people complaining about it must be too unintelligent to realize the allegory in the movie, in addition to the cool action scenes and good screenwriting.

Even Hollywood is trying to wake us up about society, and yet people complain over the dumbest things because they don't understand the deeper
    meaning behind movies. and for the record, book to movie ports cannot be exact. It is a different media format that is being targeted to a different audience. I have also read the book, and yes it is better but that does not make this movie bad.

Also, this movie is nothing like Hunger Games. Hunger Games was retarded. This movie is far more realistic and intellectual.
  3. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meh...
    Its pretty good...
    I watched the movie, then read the book, like a swag person, so keep that in mind...
    From a movie standpoint, its pretty good. The actors are not well known, but they are pretty good. Its well written and all, and everything is done well.
    Because Metacritic doesn't have book reviews, well, this will serve as my review for the book as well.
    Its good. The story is quite interesting. Chicago is one of the last remnants of civilization. Some war happened, of which the book speaks very little, and the city has divided into 5 factions. There is the dauntless, the faction to which the book revolves around, who believed that the world ended due to cowardice, therefore, they serve as the army. Then there are the ones who believed stupidity was the cause, and they serve as the smart people. Then there is the ones who believe it was liars, who serve as the justice system. Then there is the Mormon farmers, who believed sadness was the cause, and then the people who think it was due to people not conforming, who serve as the Gov't. Anyway, the whole thing about the book is that people take a test to determine which faction they belong in. But then there are those who don't belong in any, and are called divergent. They are considered a threat to the system of gov't because they can think and break the simulation, and well, ya. The protagonist is one of the Divergent. She chooses the army people, and half of the book/movie is based around her training. Then 2nd half of the book/movie is based around how the smart people try to take over the gov't by using the army with brainwashing and lots of killing. Granted,i've spoiled a lot of stuff already, but there is some interesting plot twists and turns and all that stuffs. Anyway, its a pretty good book/movie, and well, is a lot like hunger games. If you liked hunger games, you will like this. Simple.
  4. Aug 14, 2014
    If you like this movie and you are over 14 years of age you are probably mentally impaired. It is a blatant attempt to cash in on the Hunger Games but without any of the HGs redeeming features. The plot is completely an utterly nonsensical. In a nutshell, society is divided into 4 groups each of which can only specialize in one area of activity. This is a very, very, very big deal for some reason. Of course, one of the groups does incredibly cool stuff and the rest are boring but because of movie logic no-one ever wants to join the cool group. Of course our hero joins the cool group (because, like 100% of the teenagers watching, she is different from everyone else and wants to be sexy and have adventures). However there is a problem....some people are even more different and are capable of specializing in more than one area of activity! This is a very very big deal for some reason and the bad people want to kill them. It would be confusing if it wasn't so stupid. Anyway there is fighting guns, muscly brooding guys with no shirts some light humour, and it all turns out fine in the end. Yawn. Expand
  5. Aug 10, 2014
    This movie was a complete waste of time. It was nothing more than a knockoff of The Hunger Games, only it didn't have the suspense, the action, the plot, or the Jennifer Lawrence of the Hunger Games. Overall, this movie is just a pointless movie mean to cash in on a book for teenage girls.
  6. Aug 10, 2014
    Although there could be something promising in the following films, this is just a been there and done that kind of film. Not the best. Shailene Woodley does an incredible job and will be quite the saving grace of this franchise. I give this film 38% of a good movie.
  7. Aug 8, 2014
    This was an average movie. The lead actress was too weak to captivate and the story just never drew you in. This was certainly no Hunger Games, but perhaps still worth the watch.
  8. Aug 2, 2014
    I went into this movie with no pretext of intentions. Well, no, that's not actually true, I went in thinking it was going to suck... Comes out around the same time as the Hunger Game sequel, deals with similar stuff...yeah, ripoff, don't care whatever... Honestly? It wasn't that bad... Sure, there's a bit of a hunger games feel in certain spots, simply due to teens having to choose factions or whatnot... but, that's not how it plays out.

It almost plays out like Equilibrium, except being from the kids point of view. It's not that they've denied emotion, just compartmentalized it.

SPOILER: I did a bit of research, and it turns out Chicago is just a big eugenics experiment, which explains a lot.

But even without that, it's not too hard to understand.

My biggest complaint is actually the acting in the 2nd half. It's weird but it almost seems like the actors/ancestresses become less comfortable with their roles as the movie goes on, as if it had been filmed in reverse.

It's not a total K.O. to the movie, but you can tell some of them are forcing their performances more than at the start.
  9. Aug 1, 2014
    Divergent, sin dudas, está un poco infravalorada, el film es entretenido y su historia es interesante, le hace falta mejores críticas de las que tiene, ya que la película, en general, es buena.
  10. Jul 29, 2014
    Divergent arrives with a whimper in the crowded post - Harry Potter young adult franchises largely due to it's failure in generating thrills for most of the movie and it's overly derivative plot.
  11. Jul 28, 2014
    "Divergent" feels like a "Hunger Games" copy-paste. This is not due to film but to the book. Its dystopian premise is pretty spectacular, but it is not something new. It seems sophisticated at the beginning but eventually it turns out to be a generic young-adult adventure, without actually many things happening. Acting and directing are not awful at all, but the comparison to "The Hunger Games" is inevitable, mainly due to their contemporary release. The whole movie feels like it was created for the single purpose of making money out of the former franchise's success. Expand
  12. Jul 27, 2014
    While its premise is a little silly, Divergent manages to be entertaining even with noticeably bad and corny moments. I was impressed enough to be interested in what happens next.
  13. Jul 27, 2014
    Not up to the caliber of " The Hunger Games" but a solid film that gives a good dose of excitement in the final 30 minutes. Divergent might be a tad long but good acting by Winslet and Woodley make for an interesting series to come.
  14. Jul 27, 2014
    Since it seems like a must, I'll admit I haven't read the books. Not that they are literature anyway. But this allows me to give an unbiased review, not conditioned by my previous opinion of the books. One more thing about the books: any book is better than any adaptation, we've experienced this many times, and there still seem to be people who expect the movie to be at the same level, or even better, than the books. That has never happened.

Anyway, the film was yet another dumb post-apocalyptic action/romance mix, which I've never liked, although I have to admit it's not worse than the Hunger Games. Now, the premise was kind of good: the idea of the factions in particular. But, as always, they've managed to ruin everything with lousy, cheesy dialogue, which we've heard just as many times as many movies like this are out there, and with an immediate look at the characters' first introductions we could decide, right away, if they were good or evil. And the thing is, they stay that way till the end. I call that lack of character development.

The actors were good, I just didn't expect Kate Winslet to involve in such a stupid script. The cinematography was okay, I guess, but then again I'm not an expert in this genre so I might be wrong: from what I read in the reviews it sounds like the consensus veers towards bad special fx. Divergent is nothing special, as expected, and adds nothing to the already inextinguishable stockpile of action carap.
  15. Jul 26, 2014
    Shailene Woodley is the worst choice for this movie and this is bad because she is near all the 2 hours . she is so **** dull unlike ashley judd (the mother) she was awesome . theo james is another bad choice . i only wish they do better next time after they know their roles better . never read the book but its simply great story .
  16. Jul 25, 2014
    Divergent is one the most intense films I have seen all year, I have never read the books but Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Miles Tiller, Kate Winslet (Basically everyone in this movie) did a great job, even with similarities it is enough with its own thing.
  17. Jul 25, 2014
    I prefer to and usually suspend story flaws when watching Sci-Fi or action movies BUT ... in this movie when Four and Be-a-Triss are caught by the enemy and they are NOT killed on-the-spot like all of the other Divergents .... I lost all interest in the too long plot and too many weak characters. As in ... the movie characters. The acting is very strong but this all gets kinda lost in the weak story. I really found myself not caring about how the movie was going to end. I just wanted it to end like .... much sooner ! Expand
  18. Jul 24, 2014
    I watched this movie with no expectations, and Wow... this is film is an eye pleaser! I very much enjoyed the story, can't wait to see the sequels Insurgent and Allegiant Parts 1 & 2! Neil Burger did a great job directing! Top notch action, drama, sci-fi film so far this year...!
  19. Jul 24, 2014
    Definitely I love this movie very interesting and as a viewer I could understand what the movie is all about. To me I prefer this movie to Hunger games. I can recommend Divergent to anybody to watch.
  20. Jul 24, 2014
    The acting is generic (pretty much the norm for any film focused around teenagers), The plot is seriously lacking and painfully uninteresting, and the character development is almost non-existent. It did not take long for me to lose interest once I realized how crappy of a movie it was going to be. Don't even bother with it.
  21. Jul 24, 2014
    "Divergent" has an outstanding cast but the director wastes them in a script that borrows heavily from Harry Potter, Twilight series and Hunger Games.
  22. Jul 23, 2014
    Tris is no Katniss Everdeen, and Divergent is a better film for not trying to impersonate a similar trilogy. It won't excite the world to the extent of The Hunger Games but this more humble offering is nevertheless exciting, fun and satisfying.

So, yeah if you liked the hunger games, give this one a try, at least we arent bothered with stupid love triangles...
  23. Jul 23, 2014
    Though it can be cliché and predictable at times, "Divergent" is a loyal adaptation that moderately succeeds due to its solid acting, visual panache, and adequate direction.
  24. Jul 23, 2014
    It's a must see movie. It's build on the same perception that is presented in The Hunger Games, but it's something more with this one than it's predecesor. Shailenne is a fenomenal actress and this role come to justify just that. Also the rest of the cast are good actors, great play for their characters in the movie. All in all, don't jump this one !!
  25. Jul 21, 2014
    If you love Equilibrium, or any other sifi fantacy movie you will love this one. i love the charters and the plot however the end i really wish they had killed that one lady at the end.
  26. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Divergent was amazing, although the book was still much better. The movie was still very good, very well directed by the same director of Limitless, Neil Burger, and very well portrayed by Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Jai Courtenay, Kate Winslet, etc.
  27. Jul 12, 2014
    I don't have a lot to say about Divergent. It's not spectacular, it's not terrible. There's nothing that feels insincere or insulting to the intellect. Most importantly, the central message of the movie is one that's very important for society to hear in an age where claustrophobic peer pressure assaults us at all hours of the day, and where fitting in is seen as more valuable than hanging on to individual worth Expand
  28. Jul 6, 2014
    Good adaptation of the popular Young Adult novel. Not as good as The Hunger Games, but having a great cast help. Woodley is shaping up to become the next big thing. Worth a look.
  29. May 31, 2014
    A simplistic revolution plot stretched out to a painful 2.5 hours with no gratifying resolution. The hour spent watching the protagonist train was filler that never connected with the plot It felt less like a movie and more like a TNT miniseries.
  30. May 28, 2014
    When I first watched this movie, I loved it so much because the cast is amazing and the story is interesting. But then I read the book. I still think it is a great movie but, they left out many details. If they hadn't changed a few things, the movie would have been better. The writers and the director could have done a better job. I am looking forward to watching insurgent because there will be a different director. Expand
  31. May 21, 2014
    I think this series has a very bright future ahead of it and that it is better than the hunger games by a long shot. The best thing is that the female character isn't emotionless she is a heroine full of heart and emotion and build her character up through the movie
  32. May 20, 2014
    Too similar to Harry Potter and especially to The Hunger Games saga. A teenager girl has been chosen to save the world in the future. This is what a teenager will be looking for when Katniss movies are over.
  33. May 10, 2014
    I honestly did not like it. They did not show the important part and not even mention important characters. Dont watch it dont spend your money. When i saw it it ruined my day.
  34. May 3, 2014
    Wow this movie was as boring as predicted, the acting is not that bad....but not very interesting. It looks like a cheap cash grab "hunger games" wanna be movie. Stay away until it comes out on DVD for a buck.
  35. May 3, 2014
    It is said that books are always better than than the movies, well in this case is true. Roth's effort in describing each character in the book is absolutely mismatched in the movie. They just scratched the surface when it comes to giving relevance to each character. If you loved the book, you will get a feeling of disappointment once you have finished watching it, knowing that it could have been a much better movie. Expand
  36. May 2, 2014
    I think this movie is brilliant and its one of those where you wont need to read the books to get it but you will want due to the pure genius that is divergent the only thing that keeps me putting this at a seven is it just seems like something i've seen before and probally will see again due to the buzz over the hunger games
  37. Apr 28, 2014
    This movie feels a lot like Twilight meets Hunger Games. I didn't mind and kind of liked the romance portions but there were several logic red flags that kept me from enjoying this movie more. Don't want to spoil too much but there are parts that make you question the validity of the world they created, like why is the leader of the brave group bent on teaching through fear. Should that not be something someone should have stopped early on? Regardless, it is not a bad movie, just could have been much more. Expand
  38. Apr 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best movie ever, I loved it sooooooooooooooooo much, the book is **** but the movie is amazing, you must watch it in the movie theater. The protagonist is so beautiful, inteligent and smart, I LOVE HER Expand
  39. Apr 24, 2014
    An engaging Sci Fi thriller which is a bit of a mystery at the beginning (I haven't read the book) as events don't pan out as expected. The young cast are convincingly energetic and Kate Winslet lends her well earned stature to a baddie role even if it is a somewhat unusual choice for the Oscar winner. The plot at times does strain credibility even for this genre and the inevitable blossoming romance between Woodley and James is more of the same. However, for such a long film it is consistently entertaining and for the most part it all works very nicely. Only towards the end do events veer towards extreme conventionality, but by this time one has enjoyed it too much to carp. I think the film critics saw a different movie. Expand
  40. Apr 20, 2014
    Divergent is about a young girl named Tris who seems to be "Divergent". This is a great movie though the book is way better and has more detail unlike the movie which they changed.
  41. Apr 18, 2014
    I read the book before going to see this film and really enjoyed it. Despite the generic, futuristic teen plot it was still a good read. However as someone who read the book I found the film to be a disappointment. Much of the plot had been removed or changed and I understand poetic license but some of it was just unnecessary. It missed out some huge plot points that made it difficult to connect with any of the characters on screen. However I do think the addition scenes with Kate Winslet were helpful to the plot and most of the casting was spot on. Expand
  42. Apr 17, 2014
    Divergent is a fantastic movie in my opinion and I cannot wait for the next film Insurgent. I know that people have been saying that it is a Hunger Games rip off but they are wrong. It may have some similar themes to the Hunger Games they are different films.
    On the subject of similarities between films most films that come out nowadays are complete rubbish and they are mostly copies of
    earlier films. Expand
  43. Apr 17, 2014
    I'm giving 8 to the movie because as a person that has read the book I felt that there were some details that shouldn't have been left behind, however Im giving 8 to the movie because even when you didn't read the book you'll understand it without trying too hard and they were kind of true to the book, they weren't mayor changes so yeah, I'm looking forward to Insurgent :).
  44. Apr 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are teenager or you acting like that you are welcome to see that film.
    If you have protest soul and don't have enough brain muscle in your head you are welcome to see that film
    Everything is trivial and understandable from first minute, o begging your pardon not from first, from 10s minute everything is understandable.
    A good pretty girl who will safe our world one more, o dear, why they thing ( I'm talking about directors) that in every movie main characters need to safe our world could you make movie where people don't safe the world but still doing something good, is it possible ?
    Good movie to see doing something as cleaning your house or playing some good game.
  45. Apr 12, 2014
    Another young-adult franchise with a really interesting discourse based on the film, creating an entertaining movie to watch. The performances are mostly nice, but the majority of the time they become inefficient to represent the real story and characters that the book wants to transmit. However, its a nice movie at the end, with several social and political messages that are expressed all over the film. Expand
  46. Apr 7, 2014
    Well let's do the same as everyone and compare Hunger Games to this movie. I read both books and saw both movies so I think I can be objective. I don't say this is a masterpiece, but in my opinion this movie is a good interpretation of the book. Yes some things are missing but it is the same for every goddamn adaptation. And even if everyone says that it is a lame copy of hunger games, I must say that if this one came out before Hunger Games, I really think that Hunger Games wouldn't have worked well. This adaptation is better then the Hunger Games' one.
    Of course if you don't like this kind of blockbuster don't go see it! I mean I did not like Twilight so I didn't watch it, and thus I don't complain! Come on grow a little bit and don't watch something if you know you won't like it. Don't just watch it to criticize it after!
    Anyway good movie and I would say better than the Hunger Games.
  47. Apr 7, 2014
    This is such a good movie, it's far more realistic then the Hunger games and not as childish. So go to the theaters, if you haven't yet and go watch Divergent. It's only a shame that there are only three books made. But most of all the special effects are great because the first movie of this book adaption wasn't a low budget, like the hunger games, when Peeta and Katniss come in on their race car. Expand
  48. Apr 6, 2014
    When reading the book, I had concerns about how well it would translate to film. It's a book without much action and most of the narrative is internalized to the protagonist. Books like that tend to struggle to adapt well and Divergent is no different. The director tried to make changes to the story in order to try and make it work but I honestly think it was futile. It's just not a good story for a 2-hour interpretation. Even at that, I would rather have seen the story stay true and struggle to adapt than change and struggle. All in all, it was set up to fail from the beginning. Shailene Woodley and Theo James gave solid performances and the special effects and action sequences were done well but they made the film watchable and slightly enjoyable at best. Expand
  49. Apr 6, 2014
    Should have a giant warning "For Teenage Girls Only"!! If you liked Hunger Games you will be disappointed by this movie..........................................................................................................
  50. Apr 6, 2014
    I thought the acting and character development was fantastic, which is the purpose of the long run-time. There's a growing trend these days to make films shorter and shorter to suit our ADHD-levels of attention span, fitting the timing to plot rather than to the time needed to make us connect with the characters. Divergent managed to avoid that, and I think this is where its strength lies - characters, rather than plot. The plot is enjoyable enough, but as others have noted, aspects of it are two-dimensional or don't make much sense, and parts of it feel too stretched-out or too rushed at times. Overall, if you're looking for a good dystopian sci-fi flick with some actual, realistic, relatable human characters in it (sometimes hard to come by in sci-fi), you're not going to go wrong with Divergent. If you're looking for a deep Orwellian analysis of society or for a solidly plot-driven film, you might want to give it a miss. Expand
  51. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *WARNING SPOILERS* Holy cluster **** Let me first start by saying that this movie was one of the worse movie ever. The writers obviously didn't even pretend to make it realistic in anyway. The makers must just wanted to make money out of this and had no interest in making it a quality movie. This cliched , idiotic premise, and cheesy filled movie just kept crumbling down as the movie dragged along. The whole premise of creating five factions to promote peace is probably thee or the second dumbest idea I've ever heard. Creating fractions automatically creates tension. This is not even the tip of the iceberg. We get to the test to decide what fraction you should be in (rip off of Harry potter by the way). The person is told its a test and given a drug that enhances your dream world. Giving you a test to choice what to do. Any capable mental person would obviously know its not a dream. Maybe the drug gives the dreamer a huge sense of fear...can we explain this please. The word Divergent is for someone who has no fear, which in fact is totally unrealistic. This allows a different prospective ideas and ideals that span across each fraction. The thing that makes no sense is the fact that they allows people to jump to a different fraction. Isn't that almost like being divergent. Tell me I'm wrong please. The protectors was this rag tag group of people who jump out of trains while moving, that jump into them while moving, and do all this crazy stuff. The brilliant creators has this smart idea to put this out of control bunch of people in charge of the safety and security of the "colony". Talking about the fractions. Abnegations hold office and are the leaders of the society. The problem I have here is the fact that they really don't do much. It seems like they're not really in charge at all. The movie doesn't even explain anything about the process of making law. Do the abnegations make law, give it to Candors, and then the leaders signs it or something? Also the leaders live in one of the **** places in the whole society. Now lets jump back on track. The Ceremony: You have these young kids cut themselves (which could cause infection and what knows what) to decide what fraction to go into. What reason exactly? To make it look cool or something? Can anyone example the significance of it? It doesn't explain that at all. Why could you just thrown the **** or anything else? Now we get to the middle of the movie where it wasn't that bad. It started off shaky but turned to be a pretty good movie. It was at about a 3.5/5 at one point until of course it started to fall apart at a colossal rate. The movie does a great job showing this society that's eaten itself apart and it's moments away from falling apart. We see get this test to determine if you have what it takes to be in the fraction. I understand that most actors don't know how to fight and I get that. Though you would think that they would bring in trainers that can actually teach someone how to fight. Woodley looked like a ****ing idiot out there. She was punching like she was Parkinson's disease. It was as if she was trying to have a **** fight with a labradoodle. It was quite embarrassing. Then you have this weird hand position of the hands that would never ****ing work. Now I'm not an expert in fighting (though I do do karate). That hand position will not protect **** and will actually cause your hand to come back and pop you in the face. Okay yes the position of a person doesn't determine how bad a movie is. Stick with me. So then we go through test after test of getting to know someone. The tests were pretty awesome and seemed to be a highlight. Though you have Woodley; who basically fails at every test, all of a sudden gets this holly light in her. she didn't receive any major help. Tris moves up the ranks and makes the cut. Yeepy! You don't really see any of the outcasts though. They are just thrown out without an acknowledgement. Whatever at this point. One side note: The movie was extremely sappy, but i should have know that coming in. The Ending: Then the ending starts to roll around and all hell of idiocy happens. We first learn about this "army" that four shows us. You know kids out there and few people of an apocalyptic outcome. When you see an army that's being made up and constructed; will you please tell someone besides your girlfriend. You would think that if there's a rumor of an overthrow; that some one would get a hold of it. They would then get this information and do something about it. You would also think that Abnegation would confront the issue. They're the leaders of the control for god's sake. Four then comes to the conclusion that they are building an army on the sole mariet of Erudite bringing in supplies in to Dauntlet's place. Maybe the leaders would have killed him for bringing up questions. I would tell you to go to other fractions. Another problem could have occurred. What if they stopped him? A. but then how did Tris get out so easily. Maybe they wouldn't have listened to him? I'm pretty sure when they hear this "rumor" of an overthrow; they would have listened. The fraction to go to would have been Abnegation. That's the exact fraction trying to get wiped out. Also why in god's name would the Dauntless be on the side of the erudite in the first place. What do they get out of this? Would they become military "slaves" of the erudites? Why get rid of a peaceful people like the abnegation? They seem to be hated throughout the movie with no explanation. So now the army that's created by this serum that makes their own people turn into "zombie". These zombies kill and don't ask questions. The premise is the fact that Divergents don't get affected by it. Why? No explanation is need I guess. Let's get the fan fact of why the movie was one of the worse movies I've seen. The decisions of the characters was like a five year old was making them. These decisions were dosed in cliches and lit with some bad acting. Let me combine both of them in my next paragraph. I'll just start off this section by examining the ending other. I'll be here all day if it was the whole movie. The audiences watch as the two main characters pretend to be zombies while Daughtless takes over the homes in Abnegation. First, they watch one of the people shot as they walk by them. You're a zombie! Please act like it. They then run in Triss's house while screaming their heads off for her parents. There are people outside killing other people. They can hear you and obviously you're not a zombie if you're screaming your head off. Later they get stoppped by the head guys of Daughtless. They have their cliched laugh of the warrior in Four looking like an mindless idiot. They then all of a sudden notice that he's Divergent. The cliched "everyone has a gun and everyone is pointing at someone" occurs. Stalemate right? Well it didn't have to be if the dumb **** would have just shot both of them in the head from point blank range. They get caught and another cliche appears. "The main character gets away. The friend or family member gets caught". A cliche comes yet again. The "hero is saved from some random person out of nowhere". Tris goes with her mom into the city to find the group. We get to a part where they are confronted and they kill the evil people. Cool. They come to the end of the alleyway, where the mom stops her and said "cover me". From what! The end of the alleyway was nothing but grass and open space. Cliche alert again: "no I got this, cover me" type **** comes from Triss. What the F? Why the hell do you need to be covered? A truck then comes around the corner and people start shooting. So did they hear that? If yes then why didn't you just ****ing wait in the alley and let the car go by? I don't get that concept at all. Let's just run into the middle of the field by yourself, so your mom has to save your ass and get killed (cliche by the way). The mom dies and she finds the group. They then go stop the slaughter before it kills all of Abnegation. Tris finds guns on the people that she shot. Apparently "nobody investigates shots getting fired". There was a lot of compotion around the village. I do get that. Though the only gun battle was between those two. I'm also wondering "what the hell happened to the people that were shooting at them from the truck". Did they just not want to pursue the attackers or something? I'm just confused how she was able to get weapons from the people she just attacked? Whatever, lets move on. So the group gets to the place where this program for the zombies are taking place. Which seems to be randomly in dauntless's place and not Erudite's. Why, I don't know? Cliche alert. The dad is responsible this time. "I will distract then and kill them because were running out of time". He runs out and kills the guards by himself. What the flying **** You have three people with guns and there are only four guards. Just have one person shoot two of those ****ers. Lets run out and get killed while only killing two of them. It was like something from a parody. Tris looks towards the dad and said "what are you doing dad?" or "Are you okay dad?". I don't remember. It was one of the two Well the camera pans back to the dad with like seven bullet holes and blood flowing from his mouth. You know he was probably just resting from the hard day. *sigh*. Tris tells everyone to stay there to protect his brother for some reason and goes on alone (cliched). Why? I don't know? She finds four who's staring in one direction like a zombie. She ask "are you okay?". Well he has a mindless stare and has ivies attached to him. He must be fine. Cliche alert "The person can snap out of anything for love type **** occurs and the both of them stop the killing of Abnegation. Okay, so now you have the leader of the bad guys in your hands...who did all this crazy **** and you don't off the **** Fine, morals. Ending her life could have solved everything. Let's say you didn't kill her. The threat is over. You can just kidnap her and give her up to the other fractions. Put her up for trial or something. Even if one of the fractions is still on her side. There's three against one. Kill off the two other fractions and you'll be fine. You don't need to leave for no good reason. Lets say that Dauntless has all the weapons. Well that was an idiotic premise in the first place.This stupid premise goes back to the idiotic premise of having five fractions. Just whatever on the whole premise right now. This movie was just a cluster **** of utter proportions. Again this is a good portion of the cluster ****ness. I would be here all day trying to go through all of it. P.S. This is a rip off of Harry Potter and Hunger Games. Ask me if you want to know why. A solid 1/10. My lowest rating of a blockbuster movie ever. Forgot a couple of things. If you're going to build a wall from an enemy. Please build it around your crops so people won't steal **** or burn them down. Also when those "zombies" became good again. You can use those people to fight off the rest. There's no point of leaving. Also to those who liked it. Pay attention more. Expand
  52. Apr 4, 2014
    From what I've watched, whether or not you've read the book or not, Divergent is simply a love it or hate it film.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and it might just make me go and read the book.
  53. Apr 2, 2014
    The movie suffered from obvious plot holes and there were things that just didn't make sense. There are 5 factions living in what appears to be post apocalyptic Chicago. The main character's faction is the one that runs the government. Yet we have a random woman who doesn't fit in any faction (or at least they don't tell us what faction she's in) that plots and conspires to kill everyone in the ruling faction. What doesn't make sense about that is the woman appears to be the leader of everyone. If she's the leader wouldn't she be part of the faction she's trying to destroy?

That's just one out of many things that didn't make sense. Don't see this movie. You will be horribly disappointed.
  54. Apr 1, 2014
    Following suit of TWILIGHT SAGA and THE HUNGER GAMES, another young adult franchise embarks on its lucrative conquest, DIVERGENT, shares the same dystopia milieu in the future as THE HUNGER GAMES and a teenage female protagonist, Tris (Woodley), who fights to be fit in a world divided by five factions according to five virtues (erudite, dauntless, amity, abnegation and candour), but she is born to be a maverick who defies categorisation and is so-called a divergent. She joins the Dauntless and meets the mysterious Four (James), the trainer of the initiates, together their romance is budding through the training programs; then they discover Erudite leader Jeanne (Winslet) is scheming to annihilate and usurp the Abnegation faction (which is the present authority and where Tris’ parents belong) to be the ruling class,
    read the rest of my review at my blog, just google "cinema omnivore".
  55. Mar 31, 2014
    Usually, I write a short review of every movie I watch. But I had a lot of things to say about the movie so here goes.....

Before I start, I would like to say, shame on the critics. Sure, it's may be just their opinions but some of the critics' reviews I have read said that they haven't read the book yet. Critics are journalists and they should do their research a little. Don't just sit
    there, watch the movie and judge it without some research. And also, are they really expecting Divergent to have the same epic feeling as The Hunger Games? Seriously? We all should know Divergent trilogy won't be brilliant as The Hunger Games trilogy.

Some of the elements from the book have to be removed for the movie. It's pretty common these days. As a fan, I understand. But what ticks me a little is that two of the important elements have to be removed in the movie. I won't mention one of them because it's a huge spoiler but I will mention the other one. Two of the characters (as I can remember) are removed in this movie and those characters were Uriah and Edward. While I am disappointed about it, I can easily forgive this part unlike The Hunger Games where Maggie is completely cut off and she has some importance to the overall trilogy despite her small appearance. Okay, enough dropping THG references. :)))))

What I like though is that they kept the final act of the movie justice to the final chapters of the book, except one part which I am not going to tell. But still, it's like what I imagined in the books.

Most of the cast' performance are okay except Shailene Woodley and Theo James. Their performances were excellent! They are the highlight of the whole movie. I am glad they took their roles as Tris Prior and Four Eaton. If you're still complaining how Theo is quite older than Four, seriously get a life. And oh, let's not forget Kate Winslet! Her signature English accent is not noticeable there so she did her role well. And Theo as well, another English actor.

And lastly, the pace and the plot of the movie. It's just entertaining enough with its action-packed scenes for non-readers so that's something despite some of the plot holes that some non-readers are going to question.

I can't wait for Insurgent!!!! (And oh, non-readers, try to read the books. ;)
  56. Mar 31, 2014
    Harry Potter in dystopian times; saddening because YA novel-to-film adaptations in hollywood are now becoming an oversaturated market. It holds to be an adequate film on strong aesthetics as well as good (not her best) acting from Shailene Woodley and the secondary characters. It falters from blatant plot holes, a rushed and forced ending, as well as poor acting from the antagonist (yes, Kate Winslet's role is very superficial, and lacks any form of depth whatsoever). Already signed on to another sequel, here's to hoping that this series contains a learning curve structure. Insurgent now has high expectations. Expand
  57. Mar 30, 2014
    Divergent is definitely a must see for all ages. I really enjoyed it, however compared to the book it was very different, but overall it was good. I think that they cut out a lot of the good parts of what was in the books. if you have already seen the movie and read the book you will know what I'm talking about.
  58. Mar 30, 2014
    Suited for the lowest common denominator, not for people with even a hint of brains. The acting hurts your eyes (main character is so annoying you want to strangle her). The story makes your brain swell ("Dear writer of the story / script; when using fancy words like 'divergent,' apply them in the movie and don't include the audience in a pathetic attempt of fooling yourself that you are more interesting nor better than you really are; the ending of this movie and behavior of the 'divergents' is everything except divergent)!" Expand
  59. Mar 29, 2014
    It was a good movie but I wish I could read review so I didn't waste my money to go theater for watch it. I don't like ending. it seems like okay lets end it! or it is saying to audience, we will make second one and get ur money. I don't think I will go to if they make second one. I wish i didn't go. You could watch it at home. it is not that bad.
  60. Mar 29, 2014
    The critics are... unfair! The movie is great! Shailene Woodley is awesome in her role! Yeah, he's not like the book, but the adaptation is better than The Hunger Games adaptation! If you like the books, you have to see the movie! If you love Shailene Woodley, you have to see the movie! The question is... How can't you love her?
  61. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent a movie I thought was actually gonna be pretty good was just horrible. Okay first they spent more money on the sound track than actual character development. You don't even learn any of the characters names until the movie is almost over. Also there are many parts in the book that aren't in the movie. It made the book very good and gave more explanation. Also the whole feels like its on fast forward because 3 minutes into the movie your already at the test and then 20 minutes into the movie the characters are in initiation. In the book it took way more time and explained everything. Also Peter wasn't as sinister and evil and we didn't no his name until the end of the movie. Also they give no motive for Al's suicide and his character isn't talked about for the rest of the movie. We really didn't even know his name. The only good thing about this movie is the soundtrack which helps the movie's pacing. In conclusion this is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while and I would be surprised if it doesn't take home at least one Razzie Award. Expand
  62. Mar 28, 2014
    I never read the book, but I saw the movie anyway and I thought that it was alright but nothing all that great. I will probably read the book eventually but not anytime soon. I just wasn't all that captivated at some points, but I do think that there was some pretty good action from time to time. I would probably only recommend this movie to fans of the book.
  63. Mar 28, 2014
    As far as movie adaptions of books go this isn't that bad, but it's still pretty dull. There have been a lot of better book-based movies out there, and typically with more original themes. I can see this holding a certain value to the "Hunger Games" crowd, a crowd of which I consider myself a member of, but there are plenty of better ways to hold yourself over until the next one comes to theaters.

The cast gives great performances and the characters are well done. The plot is above average, and I can see something like this happening in real life, but it is noticeably familiar. Still, it's followable and fun. The main problem I found with the movie is how slow it is. The majority of the movie focuses on tests that lack excitement. For a while it's almost like the movie is actually ignoring the "divergent" part of the film. Once the film finally gets past all of the clan-based tests the movie starts focusing more on the central plot of the series and things start to get more interesting. However it does not change the fact that the majority of the film is just dull.

Like I said before it's not bad, it's just not that well realized. I never read the book so I can't tell you how well follows it, but I can say that I did not feel like any important details were left out. Unfortunately I was kind of disappointed with the film. It starts off fairly interesting but then hits an incredibly slow lull until finally picking back up again at the end. It makes it kind of hard to recommend to anyone other than hardcore fans of the book, and maybe not even then. My personal recommendation is that you hold out for the next Hunger Games. This one is sadly lacking. I give it a 5.7/10-Mediocre.
  64. Mar 27, 2014
    This is the latest YA bestseller to hit the screens. Set in the inevitable dystopian future, Shailene Woodley plays the young woman who doesn't fit into the neatly divided factions that peacefully run their fortressed city. When forces set about to upset the equilibrium, she teams up with others to save the day. The situation pushes all the teenagnst buttons and has most of the traditional plot points, but there are a few neat concepts to provide surprises. Woodley looks awkward and non-plussed a lot, but her hearthrob (Theo James) more than makes up for it with his handsome Hollywood hunkiness. Even though it's in no way outstanding, the film manages to maintain interest despite its 2hr 20min running time. Expand
  65. Mar 26, 2014
    I have never read the original book nor the trailer before watching the movie. I think the movie had too much expectation before it was released and personally I found it not bad. Story-line wise, it has too shallow depth about the background as well as thoughts within the protagonist: a divergent, what was she thinking when she decides which fraction to choose?

The movie is actually
    quite long but I found it missing explanations or more details throughout the story, in other words, things happen too rapidly. Overall, I like the movie and am looking forwards to the sequel. Expand
  66. Mar 26, 2014
    It was actually a pretty good movie. I have never read the book or really knew what to expect from the story. The movie really puts you at the edge of your seat the whole time. There's a lot of action and the fighting scenes were entertaining. The plot/setting was sort of a mixture of Hunger Games (dystopian world where kids fight) with similar class discrimination as Harry Potter (kids take a test and choose which class they belong to). I really think there's a lot of potential for this franchise to take off in the future with subsequent movies especially since the cast is pretty strong. Expand
  67. Mar 26, 2014
    Divergent was a fun movie, but was lacking at parts. I was expecting more due to the trailer which led me to get fidgety near the end. I thought the main point of the movie would be that because she was divergent she was different and could lead the people into a better tomorrow, but instead the majority of the film she spent denying being that way to fit in and stay out of trouble. Seemed a bit whiney to me, but I'm sure that's just me. Then it seemed to digress into a Twilight film for a good chunk of the film, which I am sure more than a couple people were unhappy about. Also, they brought in an interesting detail with what might lie outside the walls then proceeded to chat about it for about 5 minutes or less. Nothing more came of it. I was expecting something very exciting to happen there, but it didn't. Sequel opening? I haven't read the book. If I had I'm not sure I would rate this higher or lower but overall it was enjoyable and would have been more so if I had gone in without the high expectations from the trailer. Expand
  68. Mar 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Divergent was the first time I've walked out of a movie in nearly three decades of going to the cinema. The Hunger Games films, while far-fetched and cliched at times, have worked so far because they have featured strong scripts, great pacing, genuine dramatic tension, interesting characters, and good acting. The dystopian society presented in Divergent, with its personality-based caste system, is intriguing. Unfortunately, it is populated by one-dimensional characters who spout shallow, vapid dialogue and act in incomprehensibly stupid ways. Tris Pryor, the heroine, joins Gryff... er, sorry, Dauntless, the Faction we're told act as the police, protecting the citizens of post-apocalyptic Chicago. But instead the brave folk of Dauntless seem to be a pack of moronic adrenaline junkies who run around everywhere and climb everything in sight for no discernible reason. New recruits to Dauntless, straight out of the Faction-choosing ceremony, are expected to jump onto a moving train and then jump off of it onto a roof with no warning or training. Exactly what purpose does setting new recruits up for nasty injuries on their very first day serve? Then they're made to beat each other up Fight Club-style. They're warned that if they don't perform well, they'll be cast out to fend for themselves as Factionless on the cruel streets, but they don't seem to be given any form of structured combat training to help them become better fighters. Oh, and they all get tattoos at one point, because apparently having a tattoo means you're a BAMF and no one will mess with you. It's like something a twelve-year-old more concerned with coolness than any sort of internal logic dreamed up. So what if there's no reason for the police to engage in random acts of parkour like a bunch of Spider-man wannabes? It's cool! Did I also mention that the cardboard standees on display in the lobby of the theatre had more dimension than the actual characters in the film? Tris is a perfect Mary Sue and everyone else is a one-note stereotype. Christina, who was born into Huffle...er, Candor, the honest Faction, but chose Dauntless, always says whatever is on her mind. The boy who was born into Raven...er, Erudite, the scientific Faction, is a Spockian sort who randomly cites statistics during target practice. It's obvious from the first twenty minutes that Erudite are going to turn out to be the villains, and, frankly, I find the portrayal of scientists and intellectuals as cold, shrewd, and evil to be deeply offensive. Expand
  69. Mar 25, 2014
    This is a rental folks! The editing of this movie will put you right to sleep! It's just not compelling or emotional, and it is WAY TOO LONG. I found myself looking at my watch many, many times. Now if you're younger than 17, this might just be your anthem as it's all angsty and full of rebellion. The concept is too simple to be complex. We get it, you're "Different" and "different" is BAD. The world is reminiscent of an amish utopian set in the future, but it looks like it takes place in past....I've seen this world before, it's called The Hunger Games, but at least in the hunger games, their amish lifestyle is juxtaposed by the futuristic lifestyle of the rich. Anywho, if I had to give this movie a grade it would be a solid "ZZZZZZZ" for SNORES because that's the only feeling this movie elicited. Expand
  70. Mar 25, 2014
    Hollywood hits the bottom. This story was written by a drunken 3 years old kid with no notions of how humans are, or how society works. A divergent is supposed to be a self aware, free thinker who is capable to understand better than anybody else the flaws of the system and fight for fixing those. What we have instead is a mentally sub-average and weak girl who is absolutely clueless about what to do with her life.

The idiocy continues, because this unaware and weak girl has the possibility to join the faction of scientists, where obviously it is possible to find answers, Instead she illogically choses to join the military. This way instead of enjoying intellectual discoveries about what is going on and what to do, we follow mindlessly her attemt of becoming a military, by wasting 2 hours of the movie in hard military brainless training with not one intellectual thought till the end.

P.S. The writer also forgot to make the faction for artists. Which says it all about how much thoughts he dedicated to writing this mindless garbage for sheeple. This absolute trash can be watched by unaware children who watch Spongebob, or adult retards who enjoy mindless sopa operas. Avoid at any cost. Implausible, irrational movie. You will hope to forget this trash as soon as possible.
  71. Mar 25, 2014
    I enjoyed it thoroughly, and not because i've already read the book. It's very exciting and heart-racing. I know it's a tad bit like "The Hunger Games", but there's a distinct difference about the two of them. I love Shailene Woodley and Theo James, they're the key ingredient of the movie. Plus... Kate Winslet being so cold you just don't care even a bit. Watch it and be the judge yourself.
  72. Mar 25, 2014
    Haven't read the book but i'm pretty sure it's better than the movie i saw couple of days ago! Predictable,Strange and Dumb movie! Trust me you don't wanna see it... or at least more than once!
  73. Mar 24, 2014
    "Divergent" is based on Veronica Roth's young adult series of the same name. The story she has created is very complex and makes readers think about their own "self" and others. Each character in the book are given their own spotlight and reader's get to learn more about their traits. My biggest issue of the movie is how they rushed the character development. Even though the movie is already running at 143mins, they could have at least done a more cohesive introduction. You really don't get to know the rest of the characters except for the main protagonist, Tris. What is worst about the movie is that the order of occurrences from the book to the movie are jumbled. It is completely out of order and some scenes they just added. The script could have been so much better and the book has so much potential to be made into a movie. Expand
  74. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just so happened to have the opportunity to go to a private screening of Divergent on Friday morning, and I absolutely loved it! They covered nearly all the vital events in the book, but skipped over a few (some they could have incorporated into the movie) including Tris' rivalry with Peter and her friendship with Al. That's honestly the only reason why I gave it a 9. The actors chosen fit the roles extremely well, the soundtrack is just magnificent, and the movie altogether had a perfect combination of intense moments and laid back ones. I suggest reading the book before watching the movie, but since only around 50 percent of the people who watched Divergent read the book, people have still enjoyed it despite not reading the book. Expand
  75. Mar 24, 2014
    DIVERGENT is a thrilling action-adventure film set in a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues. Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader (Kate Winslet) to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four (Theo James) and together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late Expand
  76. Mar 24, 2014
    Awesome movie. The movie plays with the theme that society tries to force us into a specific box when we really wish we were free to do many different things with our lives. The story exaggerates this theme by reducing people to five different personality types. Once they reach adulthood, all people are forced to choose and live by one set of rules only. The main character, Tris, does not fit conveniently into any one type so she is considered dangerous because she cannot be controlled. Even though this is being compared to Hunger Games (young people in combat in a dystopian future), it is actually completely different. Only the setting is the same. There were a few minor details that could have been corrected. This is a must watch for any fans of Sci-Fi, action, or even if you just like to see a female in a lead role. Loved it.
    P.S. - If you have not yet seen the trailer, watch it after the movie. It revealed a bit too much.
  77. Mar 24, 2014
    We are presented with yet another distopian society. The film tells the story of a young lady who doesn't quite fit in. The story is entertaining and I would watch it again. Here society is divided into groups and when a person is young they are encouraged to join the group that fits their temperament. This is more action less sci-fi than other films in this genre.
  78. Mar 23, 2014
    I was a bit of a fan of the books by Veronica Roth, but I have to say that I was quite disappointed with this movie. It started off ok at best, and then spiralled down to a total flop towards the end. The plot was messy and omitted too many plot arcs from the book. While Shailene was a saving point as Tris, Theo just didn't impress with his stony acting. Then there's Kate, whom I have to say wasn't a very convincing villain, and was almost as stony as Theo. It's obviously following in the vein of The Hunger Games, but failing. While fans might flock to watch this within the first week of its release, I'm not expecting the movie to have a good run. Another up-point for the movie was that it stole viewer's breaths, and I lapped up it's action-packed scenes. But at the end of the day, I think many of us viewers would ask ourselves, what exactly was the movie about? Divergent aimed to fit the YA elements to a T, but because of that failed to impress with originality and isn't as good as many expected it to be. Expand
  79. Mar 23, 2014
    Dystopian movies are all the rage with Hollywood, especially in the wake of the "Hunger Games" series. After seeing "Divergent" I couldn't help but wondering if it shouldn't have been called "Derivative".
    Not that it's a terrible movie, or the cinematography is terrible - it just doesn't have much in the way of originality going for it, nor does it have the cast of "Hunger Games"
    caliber. Face it - there's only one Jennifer Lawrence, and her charisma is far superior to any actor or actress in this film. Not even Cate Blanchett can save this movie, coming across as oddly wooden rather than sinister.
    Classes of people divided into sectors? "Brave New World". Mind control? The same. Urban decay? Tons of movies like "Warriors".
    What makes this an average film is its length, too damn long and a failure to allow audiences to really connect with the acting. We get "Ender's Game" style training and the usual bottom to top struggle to fit into a group.
    All in all "Divergent" has possibilities maybe for a sequel that could actually be good - the "divergents" coalescing somewhere and taking on the structured society of the post-war Chicago, where the reason for the war or the reason for the class structure are never explained. Just shows how power the "Hunger Games" series ultimately is.
  80. Mar 23, 2014
    This movie reminds me why we should often not worry about what the critics say. Granted it won't receive academy nominations and not too artsy or deeply thought-provoking or intellectual, but sometimes people just want to go to a movie and be entertained without having to think too much. Keep in mind I'm well beyond 40 yrs old and i do also love movies like silver linings playbook, so you know where i'm coming from. but both my wife and i found this was one of the most entertaining movies we can remember seeing. It does draw some interesting parallels with Hunger games (which we also liked) but is a different and unique take on future humanity struggling (and failing) to control and manage society. Sadly, I worry one of the reasons this kind of storyline is ringing true to viewers these days is because our own society and leaders seem to be running off the rails themselves, and a twisted Orwellian future state seems less far-fetched than ever before... Expand
  81. Mar 23, 2014
    Before starting, let's just say first that I DID read the book, so this review will be from that perspective. Overall, I was disappointed with Divergent. It kinda betrays what the book was. Dialogue is different, scenes are changed and or cut out, and it just doesn't feel as special as it should be. Theo James and Shailene Woodley were very, very good in terms of acting, and just a great pick, too. Miles Teller is almost as good. The other characters? Meh. Just your typical teens. The action held up, but was nothing extraordinary. Remember how I said dialogue was different? Well, yep, the script is just plain boring. In terms of the scenes, some of the great ones are cut out. Come on Hollywood, know what scenes to cut out when your making a movie based on a book. Yes, the book is LOONG, so they had to make some sacrifices. One of my favorite parts of the book is how much you see Tris change. Here, it is slightly noticeable, but not to the book's degree. I'm about to talk about the ending, so watch out for spoilers. IT PISSED ME OFF. IT'S BARELY ANYTHING LIKE THE BOOK'S, AND IT MIGHT EVEN BETRAY THE NEXT MOVIE. Overall, Divergent feels like a mixed bag. You have your good parts, and complete opposites. Its not as bad as the terrible Twilight junk, but still not worthy enough to stand up with the best. (hint, hint HUNGER GAMES!) Expand
  82. Mar 23, 2014
    Just as good as the book.Exceedingly average. You could tell from the trailer it wasn't going to be a big blockbuster. It's just one of THOSE movies..
  83. Mar 23, 2014
    This movie Divergent is a flop only because Kate Winslet is fully covered. Winslet may have won her 13 yr old daughter's accolade but not from 'your true fans'.
  84. Mar 23, 2014
    I think people are being too hard on this movie expecting the next big franchise RE: Harry Potter or The Hunger Games. People need to take it for what the books are. Which in my eyes, the books are not in HP and THG's stratosphere, but rises well above the mediocre attempts at creating literary young adult novel franchises. The divergent series is just okay as is. And this movie was good enough. I feel like the studio succeeded because I got the same feeling from the film that I got while I was reading the book. That to me is a success enough to have made the price of admission worth it. Yes, it glossed over important plot points but really the omissions are not so critical that it ruins things. I went with two friends who didn't read the books, they understood the plot, the premise, and they're planning on seeing the all but certain sequel. Was it as good as Catching Fire? No. But I'd say it was right on par with the original hunger games
    And that to me qualifies as passable. More than passable. Shailene Woodley is a terrific choice as the lead and in my opinion she's one of the more underrated actresses in the business. Theo James did better than I expected, and I had my reservations about Miles Teller as the Peter character, but he played it just fine. His arrogance was 100 percent believable.
  85. Mar 22, 2014
    I wish I could write this independently of the novel, but I can't. There are omissions and edits all over the place, which can be forgivable if there aren't major plot points or essential to character development, but this film fails to deliver any reason to attach to any character or the world around it.

If you're thinking about seeing this movie, just buy the book; you can probably
    get through it in the same 2.5 hours you'd waste at this uninspired film bastardization. Expand
  86. Mar 22, 2014
    Full disclosure: I haven't read the books, but as someone who has read all of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, I can say that this movie suffers from all of the pitfalls of every young adult novel series that followed either of them, that it shamelessly copies the story beats and themes from those greater ones that came before. Divergent offers zero in the way of new or compelling ideas. The premise, that everyone in the future fits into one of exactly 5 psychological types (termed Factions by the film and book) is flimsy at best. The worst offenders are the 'Dauntless', the enforcers/protectors of all of Chicago. You might as well call that faction 'The Idiots' as all they seem to want to do is run around everywhere in dark clothing, climb everything in sight, and jump off of/onto moving trains (although perhaps in the future all trains don't have brakes in which case mea culpa). Why the heroine wants to be a part of that group is as big a mystery as why the Erudite faction (the scientist faction) wants to wipe out the Abegnation (the Amish, er, bureaucrat) faction.
    Apart from the story, the actors chosen for the roles all looked like they were taken from The CW, and the art direction and set design looked decidedly 'B' movie, with not great special effects and set design that looks like it was ripped from a Canadian sci fi TV production house.
    After seeing this I have no interest in reading the book and hope that the studio doesn't waste it's time and resources with a sequel vs working on something worthwhile.
  87. Mar 22, 2014
    Being a fan of the series, this movie, in all candor, was not really well put together. Yes, it was a decent movie, but they could have done much better. There are a lot of scenes that were left out and some scenes that were just really sloppy. The book is much better, but it's still worth a try, even if you've read the book or not. If I hadn't read the book, my score probably would have been higher, but since I did, this movie gets a 7/10 from me. Expand
  88. Mar 22, 2014
    The movie adaptation of Divergent benefits from a talented cast, a spot-on visual depiction of the factions, the Dauntless Pit, and the story's urban Chicago setting. The acting ensemble is as good as the cast of The Hunger Games and vastly superior to that of Twilight and the forgettable Vampire Academy and Mortal Instruments adaptations. While Woodley doesn't fit the canon description of Tris, she captures the character's mix of vulnerability and courage, her desire to be independent in a world that demands conformity. And although heartthrob Theo James is almost too manly looking for Woodley's doe-eyed ingenue, he definitely gets the job done as the intensely serious Four. But the movie doesn't live up to the hype or the potential of the written series. The Dauntless initiation process isn't as violent or emotional on the screen as it is on the page, and neither is the buildup of the Tris and Four romance or Tris' friendship with her fellow transfer initiates. Considering the two-and-a-half-hour runtime, there are parts that drag on and yet aspects of the book that seem surprisingly cut. The performances (Winslet is fabulous as the icy Erudite leader, and Zoe Kravitz, Maggie Q, and Jai Courtney are all true to the spirit of their characters) make up for some of the pacing and screenwriting issues, but overall this adaptation falls short of fan expectations. Still, tweens and teens who've read the books should absolutely see the movies and hope the second and third installments fare better. Expand
  89. Mar 22, 2014
    If I was rating this just as a standalone movie I would have given it a 6, but as a book adaptation it fell really short. The writers left out details from the book that made the story what is was and the character development was seriously lacking. One thing that Veronica Roth did so well in the book was showing the small acts of bravery (mentioned in the movie as the dauntless vision) that Tris performs but the movie left most of them out entirely, e.g., confronting Marcus, helping Edward when he is hurt. You find out very little about any character other than Tris and Four, which made their interactions feel disingenuous. Leaving these things out made the movie feel emotionally empty. Overall, the movie was disappointing as a book adaptation but decent if you have not read the books. Expand
  90. Mar 22, 2014
    First things first, this movie is ridiculously long. 2 1/2 hours movie that goes nowhere for the first 2 hours is quite the JOB for a moviegoer. Could have easily been a 1 1/2 hour movie. Movie drags on with little to no plot. Very predictable. Save your money and just watch the trailer. Plenty of other movies to watch.
  91. Mar 21, 2014
    As someone who hasn't read the books, I really enjoyed it. Honestly I didn't expect to like it after reading some of the reviews but it was good. Great acting from both Theo James and Shailene Woodley. I'm a fan!
  92. Mar 21, 2014
    I could not have picked a better cast or director for this movie. Neil burger executed this pretty darn well, and the book to movie adaptation was amazing. I am a fan of the books, and I loved this movie. A must see for everyone, book readers and non book readers. Everyone in the theatre was having a good time, and that is the real reason of movies (to me).
  93. Mar 21, 2014
    This is amazingly!! The best YA MOVIE. Congradulations Neil for the best movie can I see. Veronica taks for de stores. Shailenne and Theo James are a perfect Four and Tris.
  94. Mar 21, 2014
    Definitely a must see movie to see. The Thursday first run show was crowded, and this was people paying $12,25 to see this movie in the Titan X theater. I didn't get to read the book, but I enjoyed the storyline of the movie. They picked the perfect actors for the roles! I will definitely go and read the 2nd book to see what will be coming up in the next movie! Don't miss this one. :)
  95. Mar 21, 2014
    A must see movie! Two strong leads; both perfect actors for the role; with a good plot. I'm not a teenager, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie; didn't even think once about possibly needing to go to the bathroom during the whole 2 hours and 20 minute movie. This movie should be a hit; possible making over 50 million this weekend; hopefully hitting 100 million.
  96. Mar 21, 2014
    DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. If you have read the book you will be severely disappointed at the lack of crucial characters and events, the terrible casting, and the bland acting. Based on the lack of characters in the first movie, it is impossible for them to make a second. There are revolutionary characters that they left out! If you have not read the book, you will find yourself confused and unsatisfied at the poor character development choppy and hard to follow. I can only pray that John Green will not let producers butcher his novel The Fault in Our Stars as much as they did this one. Expand
  97. Mar 21, 2014
    As a book reader, I have never been so disappointed in a book-to-movie conversion. Not only did they leave extremely important details out, but many important events occur out of order. Motivations for certain characters aren't even explained; even extremely important plot devices are not included. Many of these changes serve no purpose and hinder the emotional impact certain characters' decisions would otherwise have on the viewer. Book readers will generally be confused with the changes, and by the time the credits roll, most will be asking, "Why?" Expand
  98. Mar 21, 2014
    I love divergent. I was already a major fan of the book way before the movie came out, and I honestly was not disappointed with how the movie turned out. A great cast to a great movie.
  99. Mar 21, 2014
    Despite the fact that the movie feels a touch long in its final third, I really enjoyed it – much more than I thought I would. (And no, I haven’t read the book.) The three leads - Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley, Theo James – are uniformly excellent. Typically, actors in this type of film will realize how shallow their characters are written, and they’ll mail in their performances. Not so here. Each delivers some of their finest work yet in any medium. No joke. Because of her lot as a “divergent,” Woodley is forced to hide her true nature, which means she must act within an entirely narrow and tempered band of emotions, which can be a real test for any actor – to avoid appearing as wooden. She does it with skill, and the audience, in turn, pulls for her. And James – whom I enjoyed in his short stint in the underrated Golden Boy – is the breakout star of this film. Like Woodley, he simmers in a low burn throughout. Finally, Winslet does an amazing job as the heavy. If you buy into the film, you’ll enjoy it. Walk in trying to poke holes in the story and you’ll find them. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Apr 7, 2014
    Loyal to the novel, but welcoming enough for newbies, Divergent does a decent if not jawdropping job of bringing its dystopian world to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Apr 3, 2014
    The more you scrutinise the society Roth and these screenwriters have created, the more it seems a chintzily self-designed dystopia whose rules and entire infrastructure are pure cardboard.
  3. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Mar 31, 2014
    Smart, tough and a little bit cool, this is an intriguing opening rather than a slam-dunk in its own right, but the cast - and especially Woodley - make it sufficiently diverting to merit a place in the action franchise ranks.