8.5

1. Sep 18, 2013
    Django Unchained is living proof that just because a movie is long, doesn't mean it's boring or that it drags. (This was also proven in Goodfellas) It is a great movie, with expert storytelling by Tarantino and noted performances by Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, and the emerging Christopher Waltz! It's fun to watch, even though the violence level is standard for Tarantino. On a sadder note, this will be the first of his feature films not edited by Sally Menke, who died in 2010. What a pity. Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2013
    Django Unchained (the 'D' is silent), is a fun action film. THe film is a bit slowly paced, yet made sure to ensure that the film was still engaging and kept the action moving. I felt it was a bit long winded (2 hours 45 minutes) for my taste, and I felt it could have been sped up a bit without losing anything. The overall plot is simple, Django get's separated from his wife, and this is the story of him trying to rescue her (that's all I can say without ruining anything). While the film focuses heavily on the main characters, Tarentino does a fantastic job of making the story interesting by using secondary characters to his advantage. This adds a lot to the film and makes the film come to life. The movie though isn't as violence focused as some others by him such as Kill Bill (don't worry, there is still plenty of violence), but really takes advantage of humor to make this a bit more light hearted at times. It's important to remember though that this is a fictional movie. There are historical inaccuracies, etc. and this is fine as long as you can look past that.

Parents, this is not for kids. There is a little nudity, some innuendos, lots of violence, blood, and gore, use of the "N" word, concepts such as slavery, alcohol consumption etc. For this reason I'd peg it at 15-18 years old. This obviously will vary depending on the family.

Overall, the audio itself is not the best I've heard with it's DTS HD-MA 5.1 soundtrack. The film's vocals are slightly low on the volume end. The dynamics aren't there and it's a bit of a flat soundtrack. The highs and lows don't occur often. It does have a few dynamic peaks, the surrounds are used pretty well to create a nice, encompassing environment.

The video was good, a bit cold considering the desert and warm environments the characters were in. The blood and shadows were detailed and the shadows had a fantastic detail level with the grime and textures. The film is a bit soft, not as sharp as I would have liked at times but still well detailed. I believe this is an artistic choice, but one that bothered me at times.

Overall I'd recommend it, but it was a bit longer than I would have liked. The characters were well developed and had some good humor at times. If you have the time, go for it, but if you can't stand a long and often violent movie, I would recommend passing on this.
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    This was the first Tarantino movie I'd seen in the cinemas and the first Tarantino movie I thought was REALLY good. Previously I'd seen the first Kill Bill which I didn't quite get at first and Inglorious Basterds which was pretty good. I really wanted to see Django Unchained, my expectations were very high and it delivered. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it delivered. There's SO much in this movie that's good. The plot, the characters, the performances, the music, the cinematography, the humour, the action, the drama. If you had to niggle there are some historically inaccurate things (which I think Tarantino would've been aware of) and Django's wife isn't that interesting. But really that's nit-picking, the effect it has on the film is second to none. Whether you count it as a 2012 or 2013 film it'd be up there with the best of either year. Expand
  4. Feb 9, 2014
    Finally got around to seeing this and was not disappointed in the least. Tarantino once again gives this movie his incredibly unique style, and it somehow works. Great music, great ending and great acting, especially by Leonardo DiCaprio, he absolutely nailed that character. This isn't a perfect movie, but its a damn good one that you need to watch.
  5. Nov 4, 2013
    As one of my favorite movies of all time, I'm going to recommend this wonderful film to anyone. Yet another Tarantino masterpiece. The film is entertaining through out. Not once did I get bored or think that the movie dragged on. It is very long but it is so well written, acted and directed that the length is acceptable. As Tarantino usually does, he doesn't try to make it something it's not. It does hit on a few heavy subject like slavery but it also has funny moments as all of his films do. Great movie. Go watch it Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2013
    Django Unchained is typically too violent and too lengthy and profane. However, all the actors steal their scenes and the plot is very sturdy and strong.
  7. Jan 14, 2014
    Tarantino has done it again! Excellent performance by the cast especially Christoph Waltz who thoroughly deserved his Academy Award. Samuel L. Jackson was essential to bringing humour with his 'Uncle Ruckus' -like performance and the ending was the icing on the cake. Thumbs up!
  8. Dec 12, 2013
    This obviously has excellent fight scenes and great performances as well as direction. But nearly three hours makes it become tedious, with a lot of scenes dragging on far longer than they should be.
  9. Jan 9, 2014
    I loved every minute of this movie. The dialogue is amazingly well written and hilarious, the characters are memorable, the acting is terrific (Leo) and it's just a blast to watch. One of the best movies of 2012 and one of Tarantino's finest.
  10. Jan 16, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. The effects, story and the characters made me watch it twice. Tarantino underlined very well how black people were treated like dogs which made me sad. Also excluding the sadness, there are many funny and awesome scenes. If you are reading this then watch the movie and thank me later..
  11. Jan 17, 2014
    Django Unchained is a 2012 American western film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film was released on December 25, 2012 (Christmas Day), in North America.American western film filmed in Durango, Mexico
  12. Feb 10, 2014
    I enjoyed it, immensely in fact, something about Quentin Tarantino's movies that convey so much character and texture, and thus one delivers in spades on both of those accounts, yes there is gratuitous use of the dreaded n-word, but you can't possibly hate the movie because it didn't sweep our history under the rug. One of the most entertaining movies of all time in my opinion.
  13. Jan 25, 2014
    Yes, this is a long movie, but it is amazing all the way through. Quentin Tarantino makes some of the best films I have ever seen. This movie has just about everything you could ever want packed into one film. Witty humor, action, lots of excessive gore at some parts. This kind of film gives Tarantino a great reputation. His films are unlike anyone else's, which is why everyone should watch this.
  14. Feb 22, 2014
    Django unchained is a violent brutal tale of revenge. Thought this production the acting is consistently engaging and all performers display their characters personalities and the actual raw film making on show here is quite impressive. the story is exiting and entertaining at the same time as exploring deeper themes such as slavery. This film is worth a watch . as long as you don't mind excessive violence. Expand
  15. Mar 4, 2014
    Tarantino hits home again. I've never really been a fan of Westerns but this is a definite exception. It's definitely too long and I can think of several ways of shortening it, but that gripe is overshadowed by the brutal, dark yet charming storyline. Waltz is also superb as are all of the main characters and overall, definitely a film well deserving of its praise.
  16. May 4, 2014
    I don't care if you complain about the violence but Django Unchained is one of Tarantino's best. Great Characters and the usual astonishing and creative dialogue from Tarantino's head. Great performances bu the great Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx and a very different role for DiCaprio, DiCaprio shows that he can be a very smart actor as a villain. Django is obviously is in my list of the best films of 2012 Expand
  17. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Django Unchained was absolutely amazing! Although it was a nearly three hour movie, there was never a dull moment, which made it feel much less shorter.
  18. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly, by far one of the best films by Tarantino. The story is great, the acting is superb... Basically everything is great! One thing that I like about Quentin's movies is the violence, and this film has tons of it! The film completely changed me and I will never forget it!
  19. Apr 11, 2014
    This is a fantastic film. Django Unchained is easily the best film I viewed in 2013. I understand that the film was released in 2012, but I did not see it until 2013. Regardless, this film basically had it all. It did not take it self overly serious, but kept the plot going whenever really possible. There were a few scenes that seemed to drag on a little, as that is a common technique of Tarantino, but most lasted an appropriate amount of time. This film managed to pull all of the right emotional strings. It was straightforward and compelling. Expand
  20. Apr 14, 2014
    Django Unchained serves as legendary director-writer Quentin Tarantino’s latest installment of cinematic gold. Chalk-full of the witty dialogue and gruesome violence that Tarantino fans have come to love and embrace, This film stacks the deck with notable actors and actresses that are strewn throughout, which only strengthens this movie’s potential and amusement. This film is shot in sort of a sloppy way, with no sense of direction or focus. I can only assume this was done intentionally to increase the sense of overall griminess of the story. While it’s not flawlessly executed (most likely due to Tarantino knack of do things on his own terms) this movie is both thoroughly enjoyable and definitely worth 3 hours of your time. Expand
  21. May 31, 2014
    Wow is all I could just say about this movie after watching it I've never seen a western like this if you are used to Clint Eastwood westerns they will not prepare you for this although this movie is not based on an actual story I feel without a doubt that the actions that took place in this film were not irregular practices which makes this movie have an early feel to it this movie was gritty and bloody although I'm fine with and action packed scene or shootout there's parts of this movie that made me cringe and almost brought tears to my eyes something not many movies do and all the actors performances in this movie were amazing especially the villain never have I seen such a despicable character in a movie and it was executed perfectly by Leonardo DiCaprio. Expand
  22. May 15, 2014
    Brilliant movie, when I first heard about this movie I had my doubts about it but when I heard that Tarantino was directing it I knew it would work out... And it did this movie was great, There's some great actors in this and they all deliver great performances. The plot is good, even the jokes that they put on thought out this thing fit in well WORTH WATCHING. 8.5/10
  23. Jul 10, 2014
    Sensacional. Tarantino crea un western a su medida. Mirándola bien, creo que no le falta ni le sobra nada. Los actores están grandiosos (sobretodo DiCaprio y Waltz) y la última hora de película es una pasada. Sean fans o no de Tarantino y/o el western, véanla. De lo mejor del 2012.
  24. Jul 14, 2014
    Historically, it’s clearly off. But you see the plight of slaves in that era and can’t not say this movie is one of the boldest that’s ever been done. It’s phenomenal, and while it is 165 minutes long, those minutes will fly by. It’s raw, crazy, and just one damn good time.
  25. Jul 25, 2014
    If Mel Brooks had directed it might have worked, because this can only be approached as a work of satire. But it's not funny, it's not sad, it's a dud on every level, a milk dud has more flavor.

Tarantino cannot write romance, what a shock, right. But a romance is the center of the story and ( Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington) were both a total miscast. Will Smith would have elevated the
    love story playing opposite say perhaps Keke Palmer who owns an edge and inherent sadness in her eyes at times but shares the attractive personality of Will Smith, whereas Foxx and Washington were both dull and artificially stoic.

What's more Tarantino did not even come close to depicting the misery of enslavement, which was key in lending any emotional involvement for the audience.

A lazy outing at the typewriter for Tarantino....if you wanna write slavery, shackle yourself to the desk next time because you clearly do not know what it means and failed even to imagine it.

Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Di Caprio both shined per usual and the death of their characters were felt but as for the rest of the cast you can throw them all to the dogs...

Tarantino has proven twice now he can't write historical.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.