8.5

1. Oct 24, 2014
    Articulate, awesome and Tarantino at his best. Django had me up on my feet chanting for his success. I thoroughly enjoyed an original and daring film that has led me to dig into Tarantino's other works.
  2. Oct 21, 2014
    Django is a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz. Schultz is on the trail of the murderous Brittle brothers, and only Django can lead him to his bounty. The unorthodox Schultz acquires Django with a promise to free him upon the capture of the Brittles – dead or alive.
  3. Sep 1, 2014
    Another epic masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino. Once again, the perfect mix of bold and funny that we've come to know and love; and he does so with great help from Waltz, DiCaprio and Foxx.
  4. Jul 28, 2014
    Filmin müzikleri ve sahneleri çok başarılı, başta Christopher Waltz ve Leonardo di Caprio olmak üzere oyunculuklar ve karakterler olağanüstü, Tarantino'yu zaten biliyoruz her zamanki gibi.Sonuçta uzun ama zamanın ötesinde gerçekten çok iyi bir film çıkıyor karşımıza.
  5. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Django Unchained was absolutely amazing! Although it was a nearly three hour movie, there was never a dull moment, which made it feel much less shorter.
  6. Jul 14, 2014
    Historically, it’s clearly off. But you see the plight of slaves in that era and can’t not say this movie is one of the boldest that’s ever been done. It’s phenomenal, and while it is 165 minutes long, those minutes will fly by. It’s raw, crazy, and just one damn good time.
  7. Jul 10, 2014
    Sensacional. Tarantino crea un western a su medida. Mirándola bien, creo que no le falta ni le sobra nada. Los actores están grandiosos (sobretodo DiCaprio y Waltz) y la última hora de película es una pasada. Sean fans o no de Tarantino y/o el western, véanla. De lo mejor del 2012.
  8. May 31, 2014
    Wow is all I could just say about this movie after watching it I've never seen a western like this if you are used to Clint Eastwood westerns they will not prepare you for this although this movie is not based on an actual story I feel without a doubt that the actions that took place in this film were not irregular practices which makes this movie have an early feel to it this movie was gritty and bloody although I'm fine with and action packed scene or shootout there's parts of this movie that made me cringe and almost brought tears to my eyes something not many movies do and all the actors performances in this movie were amazing especially the villain never have I seen such a despicable character in a movie and it was executed perfectly by Leonardo DiCaprio. Expand
  9. May 4, 2014
    I don't care if you complain about the violence but Django Unchained is one of Tarantino's best. Great Characters and the usual astonishing and creative dialogue from Tarantino's head. Great performances bu the great Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx and a very different role for DiCaprio, DiCaprio shows that he can be a very smart actor as a villain. Django is obviously is in my list of the best films of 2012 Expand
  10. Apr 11, 2014
    This is a fantastic film. Django Unchained is easily the best film I viewed in 2013. I understand that the film was released in 2012, but I did not see it until 2013. Regardless, this film basically had it all. It did not take it self overly serious, but kept the plot going whenever really possible. There were a few scenes that seemed to drag on a little, as that is a common technique of Tarantino, but most lasted an appropriate amount of time. This film managed to pull all of the right emotional strings. It was straightforward and compelling. Expand
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    Honestly, by far one of the best films by Tarantino. The story is great, the acting is superb... Basically everything is great! One thing that I like about Quentin's movies is the violence, and this film has tons of it! The film completely changed me and I will never forget it!
  12. Mar 22, 2014
    Tarantino hits another home run. This ones out of the city not just the park. What a interesting movie. The characters are amazing. Waltz is the good guy this time and he is wonderful. Fox is wonderful. I really enjoyed this movie. Must see. If you like QT movies you will love it. If you don't like QT movies....what can I say.
  13. Feb 10, 2014
    I enjoyed it, immensely in fact, something about Quentin Tarantino's movies that convey so much character and texture, and thus one delivers in spades on both of those accounts, yes there is gratuitous use of the dreaded n-word, but you can't possibly hate the movie because it didn't sweep our history under the rug. One of the most entertaining movies of all time in my opinion.
  14. Feb 9, 2014
    Finally got around to seeing this and was not disappointed in the least. Tarantino once again gives this movie his incredibly unique style, and it somehow works. Great music, great ending and great acting, especially by Leonardo DiCaprio, he absolutely nailed that character. This isn't a perfect movie, but its a damn good one that you need to watch.
  15. Feb 3, 2014
    完美的QT电影,几位配角都很抢眼特别是杰克逊和莱昂纳多,前者对于黑奴奴性的刻画到达疯狂的极致,后者饰演的奴隶主把自己的凶险演得特别好,晚餐对峙戏尤为精彩,配乐传统QT风,场景设计得很棒,剧情超级棒,各种转折和枪林弹雨,结尾大爱。
  16. Jan 25, 2014
    Yes, this is a long movie, but it is amazing all the way through. Quentin Tarantino makes some of the best films I have ever seen. This movie has just about everything you could ever want packed into one film. Witty humor, action, lots of excessive gore at some parts. This kind of film gives Tarantino a great reputation. His films are unlike anyone else's, which is why everyone should watch this.
  17. Jan 17, 2014
    Django Unchained is a 2012 American western film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film was released on December 25, 2012 (Christmas Day), in North America.American western film filmed in Durango, Mexico
  18. Jan 16, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. The effects, story and the characters made me watch it twice. Tarantino underlined very well how black people were treated like dogs which made me sad. Also excluding the sadness, there are many funny and awesome scenes. If you are reading this then watch the movie and thank me later..
  19. Jan 14, 2014
    Tarantino has done it again! Excellent performance by the cast especially Christoph Waltz who thoroughly deserved his Academy Award. Samuel L. Jackson was essential to bringing humour with his 'Uncle Ruckus' -like performance and the ending was the icing on the cake. Thumbs up!
  20. Jan 9, 2014
    I loved every minute of this movie. The dialogue is amazingly well written and hilarious, the characters are memorable, the acting is terrific (Leo) and it's just a blast to watch. One of the best movies of 2012 and one of Tarantino's finest.
  21. Dec 31, 2013
    Entra pra lista como um dos filme mais incríveis de Quentin Tarantino, graças a sua trama, trilha sonora e personagens e sem contar boas doses exageradas de sangue.
  22. Dec 29, 2013
    I was expecting this to be an overrated film riding on the Tarantino hype. But make no mistake, Django Unchained is a great movie in its own right and one of Tarantino's greatest works. It just about nails everything. The scenes are lengthy but very tense and with amazing direction as you would expect. The trademark "no holds barred" violence and intelligently crafted dialogue are present, along with a great deal of comical moments. The story and direction as well as the characters all deserve praise of the highest order. Even if you're not a Tarantino fan, you should definitely give Django a try. Expand
  23. Nov 4, 2013
    As one of my favorite movies of all time, I'm going to recommend this wonderful film to anyone. Yet another Tarantino masterpiece. The film is entertaining through out. Not once did I get bored or think that the movie dragged on. It is very long but it is so well written, acted and directed that the length is acceptable. As Tarantino usually does, he doesn't try to make it something it's not. It does hit on a few heavy subject like slavery but it also has funny moments as all of his films do. Great movie. Go watch it Expand
  24. Oct 12, 2013
    This is by far one of my favorite movies. I love everything western and this movie followed the journey of a slave turned bounty hunter named Django in his search to find and free his wife. This movie has a good story, tons of action, and some comedy. This movie was also made by Quentin Tarantino so you know its good already.
  25. Oct 7, 2013
    One of the best movies I have ever seen, I have seen this movie so many times and still can't get enough, do yourself a favor and watch Django Unchained,
  26. Sep 25, 2013
    This was the first Tarantino movie I'd seen in the cinemas and the first Tarantino movie I thought was REALLY good. Previously I'd seen the first Kill Bill which I didn't quite get at first and Inglorious Basterds which was pretty good. I really wanted to see Django Unchained, my expectations were very high and it delivered. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it delivered. There's SO much in this movie that's good. The plot, the characters, the performances, the music, the cinematography, the humour, the action, the drama. If you had to niggle there are some historically inaccurate things (which I think Tarantino would've been aware of) and Django's wife isn't that interesting. But really that's nit-picking, the effect it has on the film is second to none. Whether you count it as a 2012 or 2013 film it'd be up there with the best of either year. Expand
  27. Sep 18, 2013
    Django Unchained is living proof that just because a movie is long, doesn't mean it's boring or that it drags. (This was also proven in Goodfellas) It is a great movie, with expert storytelling by Tarantino and noted performances by Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, and the emerging Christopher Waltz! It's fun to watch, even though the violence level is standard for Tarantino. On a sadder note, this will be the first of his feature films not edited by Sally Menke, who died in 2010. What a pity. Expand
  28. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino’s latest audacious picture, dealt boldly with a topic rarely explored in film. I appreciated how heavy subject matter was moulded into an incredibly entertaining piece of cinema, undoubtedly condemning the atrocities of the era, whilst avoiding simplistic moralising. Shocking juxtaposition of cruelty and comedy, frequently within scenes, created a particularly effective mood whiplash. True to form, much style is drawn from the director’s love of homage; this time from the Spaghetti Western, he brings the visual intensity of stunning landscapes, and a memorable soundtrack, whilst indulging in the exquisite interiors and costumes of the period. Expand
  29. Sep 1, 2013
    Yes this film is racist, but like Quintin said it was a realistic portrayal of those times.The acting in this film is just amazing, the scenes are also great with stunning set's and backdrops. The film also balances comedy with seriousness really well. I know this film is three hours but it kept me entertained the whole way through and its the best film I've seen for a long time, in fact it might possibly be my favorite film ever. Django is great.P.s none of the actors shone over each other they were all just as amazing as one another. Expand
  30. Aug 30, 2013
    Django Unchained: Brilliant. An amazing cast that really show what they can do. Jamie Foxx: Great as Django, a true badass in this movie. Christoph Waltz: Deserved the oscar that he got for this film. Leonardo Dicaprio: A brilliant performance as the films main antagonist Calvin Candie. Violence was over the top but awesome, blood splattered everywhere when someone was shot, the story was great and ended brilliantly in wild west style. An excellent movie that deserves to be watched by everyone of the appropriate age. 9/10. Expand
  31. Aug 29, 2013
    The second best western ever, one of the 20 best movies ever made and my favourite Tarantino movie ever.
    This movie has a great and compelling plot, humor, romance, action and adventure. The characters are amazing and portrayed perfectly, Christoph Waltz being the best of the bests in the movie, alongside Leonardo Di Caprio.
    The soundtrack is evocative and the movie is really fast-paced,
    so the 2 hours and 45 minutes fly.
    A must-see to all the fans of good movies, Tarantino and western genre.
  32. Aug 25, 2013
    A incredibly bloody and brilliant masterpiece by the ever brilliant Quentin Tarantino is smart, hilarious and shocking in equal measure. The film has been made with complete care and it shows with beautiful cinematography, fantastic acting and great directing. One of the best films to be released in 2012.
  33. Aug 22, 2013
    Charismatic Acting by Waltz and DiCaprio, it effectively reverses the history of slavery with well thought of dark-comedy. Not the masterpiece of Pulp Fiction, but Tarantino stabilizes his position as a respected screenwriter and director
  34. Aug 9, 2013
    Django Unchained was an excellent, surprisingly light and utterly hilarious western from Quentin Tarantino. The movie surprised me at many different junctures and delighted throughout. This was a fantastic film!
  35. Jul 26, 2013
    normally I don't even enjoy long dialogue scenes. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of action scenes in this movie. But the dialogues are just a pleasure to watch because they emphazise the brilliant talent of the main characters so much better. One can not dislike Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio made for an awesome, charming, capitalist villain. But all actors were really good.
    While the plot is done Tarantino style and should not be taken tooo serious it is still awesome that it touches some of the more serious 'taboo' thematics of slavery. This film will make people talk... and that's a good thing!
  36. Jul 23, 2013
  37. Jul 16, 2013
    First of all: For you guys who complain about Tarantino using slavery in the west, pay attention to the movie before talking The movie DOES NOT pass in the west! Texas and Mississippi are on the south, that's it, the movie doesn't take place anywhere else. You really think Tarantino would make such a mistake?
    I loved the movie, the acting, the story (that is quite different from the style
    of any other Tarantino movie), the way he mixes all kinds of genre (comedy, drama, action, etc) and makes the movie get so interesting you want to watch it again, and again and again. Besides i didn't like the fact Django turned out to be the Cowboy image (come on, it would be awesome if he was just the free slave getting his vengence without this whole american western cowboy hero thing), Tarantino made an impressive screenplay with an impressive acting work. For the violence, some people complain about the absurd amount. For me, Tarantino can ude it the way he wants, that at the end, it's going to be good, more then any other violence movie. Expand
  38. Jul 16, 2013
    As far as Tarantino movies go, "Django Unchained" is right up there with "Pulp Fiction" and "Kill Bill" in my books. It's funny, it's over-the-top brutal and it's extremely enjoyable to watch. Unless racism and the use of the "N-word" ruin a movie for you. In that case, "Django" probably ain't on the top of your "Movies to watch"-list.
  39. Jul 12, 2013
    This film is hilarious with over the top action scenes which Quentin pulls off very well of course like in his previous films. Yes, there is racism and controversial material but so what? It's something different which is what I like! anyway, Django Unchained really steers away from clichés. It's definitely a film I'd want to watch again.
  40. Jul 9, 2013
    A wild-bloody, live action cartoon with a homicidal vengeance, a reversal of roles, much like "Inglorious Basterds"; rewriting history if you will, they way Quinten Tarantino sees it, and the way we enjoy it. Quinten takes his blood-spattered historical tent show on the road, putting down stakes in Antebellum Dixieland. Not technically a "Basterds" prequel, "Django" stems from a similar impulse, to reframe and rewrite American history in boldly absurd strokes. "Inglorious Basterds" is an exceptional film, but "Django Unchained" surpasses its predecessor, and then some.

The movie opens in 1858 Texas with the unorthodox purchase of a slave, Django (Jamie Foxx), by a dentist-turned-bounty hunter, Dr. King Schultz (Christopher Waltz). Since Schultz doesn't believe in slavery, he soon frees Django and the two become partners in Schultz's business. After a profitable winter, they head to Mississippi where their goal is to locate Django's wife, Broomhilda (Kerry Washington). When they succeed, they find an excuse to be invited to the plantation where she is being held. There, they are guests of the mansion's master, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), where their act bamboozles everyone except Candie's personal slave, Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson), who smells a rat the moment he sets eyes on Django.

When Tarantino first introduces audiences to the two characters we'll come to embrace and respect, it's while Django (Foxx) is chained up to other slaves as they march slowly in the dark in the middle of nowhere. Dr. Schultz arrives playing the role of a dentist in a scene that's close to being as perfectly written and delivered as Waltz' farmhouse scene from “Basterds,” freeing Django and thus begins a reluctant partnership. What starts as an uneasy alliance in which one side holds all the power, transforms over the course of the movie into one in which the unlikely pair become partners and friends. Delivering this transformation along with character development, Tarantino is at his screenwriting best.

There is not a single misstep by any of the “Unchained” cast. Led by Foxx as a slave-turned-bounty-hunter, and Waltz as a man with more layers than initially revealed, this ensemble is a perfectly cast with everyone at the top of their games. “Django” is an absolute must-see for Tarantino fans, but it's not necessary to be into either Tarantino or just Westerns to be fully entertained. There are many notable cameos: Don Johnson (small part), Jonah Hill, Amber Tamblyn, Bruce Dern, Tom Savini, Robert Carradine, and Franco Nero (who played the lead character in the unrelated 1966 film, Django).

Tarantino is one of the few filmmakers that seamlessly and successfully merges style with substance. He is a creature of cinema, unashamedly standing on the shoulders of greats, forging new meaning out of the universal cultural experiences. That is why as far as I'm concerned “Django Unchained” is one of the best of 2012.
  41. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is brilliant, from the direction of the obviously talented Quentin Tarantino to the acting of such figures of Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Don Johnson, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson and, particularly, Christoph Woltz There's a reason this film has won not one but TWO Awards, and it was by far my favorite film of 2012, as well as being one of my favorite films ever. I would change nothing about this film (apart form making it longer), and the only think I pity is that Tarantino killed off all but two major characters, because a sequel or continuation of some kind would have been brilliant. Expand
  42. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant film. I've never really been a fan of western films but I wanted to see this because Tarantino is one of my favourite directors and the films he makes are just pure entertainment. My expectations were high for this but they were blown out of the water, absolutely loved it. Everything about this film was excellent.

Firstly the cast, absolutely brilliant. Jamie Foxx as Django was a very good choice and I really liked him. Christoph Waltz as Dr King Schultz was another great choice and I find myself wondering why he was never discovered in Hollywood before Inglorious Basterds, well done Tarantino, well done. Leonardo DiCaprio was a brilliant choice to play the psychotic Calvin Candie and lastly, Samuel L Jackson as yet another stand out character as Stephen, Candie's butler. Jackson is absolutely hilarious and provides some comedy gold to the film.

Secondly, the plot is very good, which follows Django, a slave who is released from his owners by Dr Schultz who is actually a bounty hunter who needs Django's help with some jobs, he then agrees to help Django find his wife (played by Kerry Washington).

Thirdly, the film is very dark, and in my opinion rightly so, as Tarantino captures the brutality of slavery very well and doesn't hold back on the violence. I feel he dealt with such a serious and sensitive topic very well in the way it was portrayed. There have been complaints of the excessive use of racial slurs in the film but in my opinion this is how it would have been during the slave trade.

Furthermore, look out for the scene with Big Daddy (Don Johnson) and his workers when they hunt try to kill Django, which includes a short cameo from Jonah Hill. The film is hilarious an is like a Monty Python sketch which is something Tarantino has done very well in his films.

Overall, a fantastic film, and up there with Tarantino's best in my opinion. Very dark at times but has it's hilarious moments and will keep you entertained from start to finish.
  43. Jun 16, 2013
    Loved Django If I ever have a son, I'm gonna name him Django. I loved the southern grammar they used. It was entertaining to watch everyone get all country on us. Especially Leonardo DiCaprio This is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. Excellent job Quentin Tarentino
  44. Jun 9, 2013
    This is easily one of the best movies ever made. It has fantastic acting, awesome characters, amazing and hilariously bloody shoot out scenes, an outside the box story, a great script, and a great everything! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Quentin Tarantino has done it again. He is one of the best directors ever and he never disappoints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  45. Jun 6, 2013
    Action packed film with funny moments and an entertaining story. Really enjoyed it, but can't speak for my other friends who are not that into gory scenes.
  46. Jun 4, 2013
    "Quentin Tarantino has once again proved why he is one of the greatest and most authentic directors making films today, filled with gut-busting violence, Oscar worthy performances and some much comic relief. Django is one of 2012's best movies, by far." A+
  47. May 29, 2013
    Do not know if Tarantino tried to honor the old westerns or satirize, but did well in their way logical, but what draws the most attention is the movement of the plot by the characters in the early history is focused on Dr.Shultz then undergoes Calvin Candie, and ends in Django, the performances are perfect especially Di Caprio (who has been wronged by not being nominated for an Oscar) and mainly Waltz, who deservedly was awarded, the rest is all you can expect from a movie Tarantino, blood pouring the gallon, many profanities and racist insults (here are acceptable considering the era in which the film is set) and several taken of fun. Expand
  48. May 27, 2013
    "The 'D' is silent" as our gunslinging hero continues to remind his victims, Django is on the path of vengeance with the most unorthodox of associates, with bloody, violent but fantastic storytelling from to start to finish, edgy, and brilliant also fit seamlessly into a description of this wonderful film.
    Set in the midst of slavery in the Old West and the Deep South of the United
    States, Django (Jamie Foxx) and a group of slaves are being hoarded across the plain by two brothers, when dentist turned bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) interrupts proceedings, he frees Django in the hope that he will lead him to another set of brothers who Django and his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) were recently owned by.
    Christoph Waltz brings an energetic and humorous energy to the role that is simply unmatched. Django is cold and collected in the hope of finding his wife, who he finds out is a slave of the talkative and ruthless Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). As Django and Schultz set off across the frontier and wade out the winter, Schultz trains Django to become a bounty hunter, he sees it as his duty to free this slave and therefore look after him.
    In typical Quentin Tarantino fashion, Django Unchained is more about pushing the boundaries of cinematic taboo than the simple story that is told. The use of the 'N' word has been the point of deliberation since the films release, but either way, a perfect Spaghetti Western has been moulded with Tarantino at the helm, is use of long dialogue and extended scenes of conversation continue to amaze, especially when the talented Christoph Waltz is involved, lest we forget his fantastic turn as Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds,but he truly raises the bar in Django for nobody but himself, is attitude and personality are unmatched, save for possibly Leonardo DiCaprio, who we rarely, if ever, see as the villain, but who shows exactly what he is capable of with the sadistic but charming Candie.
    Jamie Foxx has been perfectly cast as them main man Django, he shows heart but willingness to find his wife by any means possible, and his rise to heroism throughout the film is a perfect test of character that he does brilliantly.
    Tarantino again picks a perfect setting and now has a western hit under his belt, whether its the music, the deep southern accents or the wonderful camera work of gore and glory, he has again created a very deservedly named masterpiece.
  49. May 25, 2013
    •This movie will be one of those that will still be blowing new comers minds LONG after a lot of the current CGI laced popular films of today have lost their modern edge.
    •A completely unquestionable cinematic masterpiece.
    •One of the best Tarantino pieces IMO.
    • One of the best western/cowboy movies ever IMO.
  50. May 23, 2013
    Django Unchained is easily one of the best movies I have seen in really long, everything from the story to the great shooting scenes is incredibly well done. Quentin Tarantino always delivers.
  51. May 21, 2013
    This movie in my opinion was the best movie of the year. It was done in such a manner that it portrayed true to slavery in the south. It was visually pleasing and made me feel like DiCaprio was a real dick in the movie. Samuel L. Jackson was played a great role as both a joker as well as an evil man. Christopher Waltz was the best part of the film. He did a job that Tarantino was most proud of. It is about time that we have another great western film. This is why I give it a 10/10 Expand
  52. May 20, 2013
    HOLY S**T THIS IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME. i love westerns and this movie is so funny and bad*** that it is almost better than pulp fiction. the acting is great, the soundtrack is great, the action is great, EVERYTHING IS GREAT.

This is secretly a 20 but metacritic wont allow it
  53. May 14, 2013
    When I first saw Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, I wrote that it was as deplorable and delicious as a forbidden cigarette. This second time around I'm still dizzy, from something meaner than nicotine. This brilliant and brutal revenge western, with its bromcom double act from Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz, is set among the slave plantations of pre-civil war America. It is partly based on the 1960s cult Django westerns starring Franco Nero (who returns in cameo here) and partly on the notorious 1975 exploitation picture Mandingo, but it's distinctive on its own fantastically outrageous terms: an audacious and horribly funny comic-book nightmare. Tarantino, king of the comeback, famously returned John Travolta to the pop-culture frontline for Pulp Fiction and indeed renewed crime writer Eddie Bunker's pulp-fiction stardom by getting him an acting gig as Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs. Now Tarantino has made his own comeback, after a recent worrying slump, with his best film since Kill Bill: Vol. 1.It's certainly an awful lot better than the previous film Inglourious Basterds, which I attacked on account of its misfiring spaghetti-Nazi theme and bafflingly dull plot. I should here record that many did not agree with this view, and my previous lavish praise for the great man only seemed to make things worse. Someone online called me a "petulant Taranteenybopper" throwing a strop. Well, possibly.For me, Tarantino had always been the master of a certain type of narcotic euphoria in the cinema, something exquisitely superfluous, something to do with his mastery of surface and style an ability to make you believe in it and see through it at the same time. That ability has gloriously returned. Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained is morally comfortable; everyone is a victim or monster. Expand
  54. May 13, 2013
    Quentin is a truly gifted director, he proved it once again with Django, remember, the D is silent! The movie is great, solid humor and blood and gore. Great acting surprisingly by Jamie Foxx, I didn't have too much faith in him with the role but he exceeded my expectations. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio are the ones who shined in this movie, especially when we finally get to see DiCaprio as a villain which doesn't happen too often! The soundtrack was great, solid acting, great humor, and a good story. Expand
  55. May 12, 2013
    As a huge Tarantino fan there was no doubt i was going to watch this movie, plus this is the first western o come out in a long time cowboy's and aliens doesn't count). The characters are fantastic, the timing perfect, and there are scene's you can't help but to feel bad about for laughing at.
    When you have Blood, gore, and violence, you're gonna have a good time. They over do it with
    the blood, and that makes it even better. This movie has created one of my new favorite characters, Dr. Schultz. He is one of the best written characters i have seen in a movie.
    Combine all these thing's together, and you have a great film, this is why it deserves the 10 i gave it.
  56. May 4, 2013
    This is Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction. I loved this movie with a passion and had been following it since it was announced in 2011. I think this is the best western since The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, probably even better. Definitely one of my favorite movies.
  57. Apr 30, 2013
    Django unchained could in my opinion be Tarantino's best movie. It's unrestrained, vicious, and at times very funny. It should have beat Argo for best picture. Just watch it. Unless you can't stand violence in movies. In that case you might not like it, but it's screenplay, acting, and directing are all masterful.
  58. Apr 29, 2013
    Quintin Tarantino is still at it as he makes what I think is my favorite movie of 2012, Django Unchained. Everything from the spaghetti western intro and outro cards and music to the characters and their dialogue. The movie works on a complete harmony of the actors and the setting. Rather than the setting making them feel more western, they make the setting more western, and Christoph Waltz accomplishes this the best. He's not even American and he seemed to be a stamp of the time period. The action has that distinct tangy Tarantino spice to it: amazing, but overly messy at the same time. The movie reflects the gruesomeness of the 1850s on slavery, which is the theme that shapes Django (Jamie Foxx) throughout the movie into one of the best protagonists in 2012 cinema. Expand
  59. Apr 29, 2013
    This movie is awash with calculated and beautiful scenes that do not shark away from exposing the horrors of slavery. Christopher Waltz is the obvious, and aside from DiCaprio, the only candidate for best actor. His portrayal of Dr Schultz espouses a similar demeanour to the infamous Hans Landa of Inglorious Bastard- light-hearted, wise and deeply compelling. But in this exhibition, his justice-enforcing character is all the more likeable. Jamie Foxx has been the most discussed fault in this film, a slight injustice given he gives a convincing account of slave-turned-bounty-hunter Django for the first two hours. It was as he slipped into the part of lead male during the closing twenty minutes that his acting shortfalls began to be exposed. The final scenes were typically Tarantino-esque. Whilst some people relish these explosive, chaotic finales, it would have been interesting to leave the viewer guessing and wanting more. Regardless, a mesmerising and utterly enthralling film Expand
  60. Apr 28, 2013
    Tarantino does it again. The man has never made a bad movie and with Django Unchained we get a well written and acted film. Jamie Fox and Leonardo DiCaprio are fabulous, but Christolph Waltz is the stand out here. He and Tarantino are just a perfect combination.
  61. Apr 28, 2013
    Excellent film. The performances from Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Samuel L. Jackson were all fantastic and Jamie Foxx did very well also. The dialogue is captivating and it's great seeing DiCaprio as a villain for a change, as well as seeing Waltz as a hero.
  62. Apr 25, 2013
    One of the greatest films of all time. A touching tale of a man who has suffered nothing but hatred who has the chance to release his anger. This film might be difficult to view for people who can't seem the accept the difficult past of the pre- civil war United States. This movie depicts the reality in a brutally true fashion. It is an unspeakably violent film, both in it's tone and the in the gory violence it displays.

Unforgettable scenes with great performances from the entire cast, especially DiCaprio, who in my personal opinion was slightly superior to the Academy Award Winner Christoph Waltz. This is decisively one of the boldest films ever made, a long, brutal yet satisfying tale of vengeance, friendship and moral values. This film is a clear masterpiece. A future cult classic, with classic Tarantino dialogue and writing, to be quoted over and over again. 10/10
  63. Apr 23, 2013
    Simply put, if you don't get this film you don't get cinema. Kinda troll-ish, maybe. But there's so much for the art invested into Tarantino's work that most criticism seems to fall on the tone-deaf side. Django Unchained is a joyful masterpiece that celebrates both the folklore this country has embraced and also its cinematic flourishes. Jamie Foxx is as iconic as early Eastwood in the role. And Christophe Waltz is too good for Oscar. Expand
  64. Apr 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie. Everything is great, especially the soundtrack which is one of my favorites. The only downside to the movie is that the best characters die 3/4 of the way through. Django, the "main" character, doesn't do or say very much. So in the end when he triumphs, it feels a little awkward and not as satisfying as it could. Still, this a movie I will definitely buy soon. It well deserved the Oscars that it won. Expand
  65. Apr 17, 2013
    Best film of 2012. Best acting of 2012. It is a shockingly exciting
  66. Apr 13, 2013
    Fantastic movie from start to finish

- Brilliant screenplay
    - Excellent acting
    - Good choice of music
    - Great direction by Quentin Tarantino
    Django unchained is the best move of 2012 and is the best movie Quentin Tarantino has made. It is absolutely terrific
  67. Apr 9, 2013
    I recommend Django Unchained. It's funny and brutally violent. Good acting, good story and setting, memorable characters (even the minor ones), memorable scenes, main character has an arc.
    It holds nothing back. It has personality.
    I also recommend the original Django (1966).
  68. Apr 6, 2013
    Simply put, this is Quentin Tarantino's best film. Throughout the movie, he breaks down the formula to a creative film and rewrites it completely. This is a film that starts with title cards, opening credits that aren't merely forgettable blips on the bottom of the action, a song named after the titular character, and all the other components of the typical spaghetti western. The revenge-fueled plot and the character archetypes also evoke images John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films.

Strangely enough, however, rap music and sunglasses badassitude trickles into this "Southern". Tarantino, of course, writes in his own style. Excessive (almost cartoonish) violence befalls all characters, the dialogue-only scenes are abundant, and depictions of the pre-Civil War South are brilliant and ominous. Tarantino gives the film a unique atmosphere that I haven't seen since Kill Bill. Django Unchained pulls you into the screen and makes you feel like you are living in the cartoonish, wit-smitten world of the film. I truly felt for Django's quest and was intrigued by the story of his German liberator King Schultz.

Speaking of, the characters in this film are outstanding. Tarantino has always been a character writer, but Django and Schultz may be the best film duo I've ever seen. Each character is interesting on their own level (the introduction of Schultz sparks one of most unexpected and entertaining opening scenes in history), but it's the interaction between Django and Schultz that's most memorable.

Leonardo DiCaprio's villain Calvin Candie is especially potent, to the point that I hated the actor himself for a time after seeing the movie. A slaver with a excessively playboy demeanor, Candie is essentially a hilarious, despicable character that sets up the pieces to introduce the film's true antagonist: Stephen, the head house slave of Candie's plantation (played by Samuel L. Jackson). I can't say too much about this character without spoiling the movie, but it's definitely one of Jackson's scariest roles.

The climax is one of Tarantino's best, I was never bored while watching the three-hour long movie, and I'm still thinking about the characters and the plot today. This is a movie that I will want to rewatch again and again. I have pre-ordered it from Amazon, and I rarely buy things from the Internet. I highly recommend this movie to all but the faintest of souls.
  69. Apr 3, 2013
    Tarantino never disappoints; Django is a hilarious, super stylish, unbelievably bloody, and just plain badass film that happens to be one of the best movies of last year. The performances are all terrific, Waltz, Foxx, DiCaprio (who I normally dislike), and Jackson in particular. The script is great as well. While it may not be as good as Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Basterds (amazing film), Django Unchained is likely the most entertaining film he's ever done. Expand
  70. Apr 1, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino has still got it in this outragously bloody spaghetti western. This movie has lots of things that make this a Tarantino classic. It has great acting, Especially Leonardo DiCaprio, fantastic western action and a great humorous scene (KKK scene). One big thing though was the screenplay. It's great screenplay don't get wrong. It's truly original, but it over uses the "n" word, which may offend some people. But other than that it's really just pure genius. Overall, it's an exciting western that people have been dying to see. Expand
  71. Apr 1, 2013
    IN MY OPINION **MAY CONTAIN SPOIILERS** by CtheTav From the very beginning of the film an old style 50's spaghetti western is given off which in part is what this film is. However this film is so much more than homage to the westerns of old. Tarantino has truly outdone himself with this script (a rarity amongst action films these days) with period appropriate racism themes throughout as well as a story that keeps wondering whether the plan will work out in the end. The action in this film is amazingly over the top with blood splattering everywhere and heads exploding left and right. It is almost like Tarantino has used the violence to compliment the style of the film because it looks like good old fashioned special effects. The music in the film is great adding to the atmosphere when playing or purposely omitted. Finally the acting by everyone involved is some of the best performances I have seen from these people and encouraging feelings of hatred towards characters and being pleased to see them suffer. Rating 10 out of 10 The modern western full of style and substance Expand
  72. Mar 28, 2013
    This is by far my favorite movie of 2012. I am a HUGE Tarantino fan and he definitely didn't disappoint me with this one. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Dicaprio were incredible!
  73. Mar 28, 2013
    great personal story of the main character django. the character felt overpowered and locked on easy mode, when did he become such a hardcore bounty hunter in his short time with dr king. it would have been nice to see him go through some trials. there are a few snooze part like with the bag masks, which had nothing to do with anything and was a waste of time. so the hunter becomes the hunted? would have been nice to see some people coming to collect on django's head. it just had too much of a good guy always wins attitude with cheery music and not enough 'GRIT'. some more variety in action scenes would have been great instead of a dual wielding gun slinger and thats it. more characters to help django in his quest would have been great too. Expand
  74. Mar 23, 2013
    That is another way to have a good time, that a western dish made ​​by Tarantino. Quentin Tarantino returns to give us a work belica amazing and disturbing.

A single theme: revenge. And Tarantino thinks exploit until no more to give. This time it's the deep south of the United States, in which Django (Jamie Foxx), a freed slave by Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) becomes a hit man to
    save his wife from the brutal Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), the owner of a cotton plantation where blacks are treated as fighting dogs and women as prostitutes.

As always, Tarantino uses his famous narrative techniques: references to westerns of Sergio Leone or West satires Mel Brooks; metaphorical ultra violent shocks in their dialogue or their images (such as cotton plants spattered with blood and brains), or proud frames Snowscapes that for a moment we suggest that Tarantino may be the one that tells a fable about the period when slavery was legal in the United States. But Quentin is a style, and Quentin is how that translates to bottom: dry humor and a dose of cynicism that always seems waive really explore the subject.

The performances are absolutely spotless, you can expect great scenes with perfect choreography and revenge as melodrama.

The bad thing you may notice is that often extended, many scenes can become boring and take a while to appear the scenes that everyone expects, it is true that violent and low points to the movie, but if you're a big fan of Tarantino, you will have no problem in full view.
    That's right: nobody-nobody-chosen music as Tarantino: this time the protagonist returns to make a soundtrack that includes music by Ennio Morricone and songs with vocals 2pac, James Brown and Jamie Foxx.

"A southern spaghetti" is the genre that Tarantino Django Unchained awards and as such is a very tasty and popcorn film.
    Not forget to wear a raincoat for bloodshed and enjoy it.
  75. Mar 20, 2013
    Mr Tarantino has create yet another master piece. This is the story of freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter travels to rescue his wife it is an hilarious awe inspiring western. brilliant acting all round charming performance from waltz and powerful performance from leo dicaprio. 10/10
  76. Mar 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained being Quentin Tarantino's latest film is as usual very exciting and violent, but that goes without saying because its a Tarantino film. With the excellent casting he has managed to get together I don't think the film could have been much better. Dango Unchained is based in 1857 nearing the end of slavery. Django (Jamie Foxx) gives a very gentle character at the beginning but throughout the film he gets very determined character trying to get his wife back Brumhilda (Kerry Washington) who hasn't got a very big role, with help from Dr. King Shultz (Christof Waltz) who is a dentist but works with Django as a partnership being a bounty hunter, Dr King Shultz asks Django to point out who the Brittle brothers are and in reward he will help Django find his wife. Brumhilda (Django's wife) was found to be at Candy Land (a slave farm) owned by Calvin Candy (leonardo DiCaprio). Django and Dr. King Shultz have to try and shoot their way out of Candie land to survive and rescue Broomhilda. Samuel Jackson also appears in the second half of the film as stephan a black slave trader. This film is funny, violent, exciting and memorable for life. Expand
  77. Mar 11, 2013
    Spike Lee wishes he was as brilliant as Tarantino. Of course He'll call me a racist for that comment instead of actually making a decent film. Tarantino continues to outdo himself. I use to go back and forth between Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards as my favorite Tarantino film, now Django is entered into my internal debate. Undoubtedly the funniest Tarantino scene is the white hood scene. I couldn't stop laughing, it was brilliant! Waltz is incredible, Leo evil, Washington nailed the emotion, Samuel L Jackson made you hate him, and Fox made Django real. The best cast of 2012. Expand
  78. Mar 9, 2013
    Its one of Tarantino's best work, Django provides an exhilirating and brutal plot that pleases Tarantino fans and other fans alot.
  79. Mar 8, 2013
    Django Unchained the best film from visionary director Quentin Tarantino .What a cool movie. A homage to the old spaghetti-western and again a movie about vengeance. Incredible acting from all actors.The soundtrack is amazing. All in all a perfect movie.
  80. Mar 3, 2013
    I went to go see this on Christmas Day and since then it has been lodged into my brain and I can't get it out of my head. Very good dialogue, adrenaline pumping action, what's not to like. If you are a Tarantino fan you'll love this movie with every bit of your heart. This is in my opinion the best movie of 2012 and if my opinion does mean anything my favorite movie of all time.
  81. Feb 27, 2013
    Wow. For its length, the movie flew by at an alarming rate. The dialogue was sharp. Christoph Waltz carried the movie on his shoulders for so long it was a surprise he played only a supporting character. The action, exposition and dialogue were well balanced, and the script definitely deserved an Oscar. It was highly entertaining. Like Inglourious Basterds, this movie was kind of a wish fulfillment. If someone was oppressed, we as humans would like them to strike back with vengeance. It was a good catharsis. It doesn't mean anyone who enjoyed watching it endorses violence against whites... just that what happened was wrong and those who enslaved should have suffered most horribly. But that time is long gone. Lessons should be learnt from that era, but grudges should be let go. Expand
  82. Feb 26, 2013
    A great movie, with great actors and real good scenes in it. The soundtrack is one of the best movie soundtracks ever. The only problem is that the film doesn´t maintain the quality after waltz and dicaprio are gone and is therefore not getting the full score.
  83. Feb 25, 2013
    Almost 3 hours and at no stage did it feel drawn out or too long. This trumps Inglorious Basterds and suits as Tarintino's best film. A funny, witty, slick, violent homage to spaghetti westerns set with the dark backdrop of the racist wild west.
  84. Feb 25, 2013
    A film with no flaw. Django Unchained gave me everything I want from a Tarantino film and more. Christoph Waltz in his "supporting" role (Although I, and I think many people would say he stole the show) as Dr Schultz did a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained. I cannot go without saying that the casting of the film was impeccable, and watch out for Quentin's cameo, because it's a good one. The costume and set designs as always are beautifully done. The gore is, although over-the-top, is very fun to watch and will have you squirming in your seats. All in all, I am very pleased that Mr Waltz and Mr Tarantino came home happy from the Oscars on Sunday Night. Expand
  85. Feb 22, 2013
    As a native of Mississippi, I have to say that this movie is...Fantastic. It really brings to light the absurdity of slavery and the rampant ignorance found across the country on such an issue. Whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos--ALL ethnicities sat in the theater together laughing and cringing collectively. It's over-the-top Tarantino at his best. In comparison to Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained is much more balanced, maintaining sharp dialogue and awesome action that audiences have come to love. If this were a truly offensive flick, as critics seem to point out, Django would not have had such excellent actors play lead roles, and the NAACP Image Awards would not have recognized it with such acclaim. Note: Greenville, MS, doesn't look anything like that, but who really cares. Expand
  86. Feb 20, 2013
    Cleverly combining heavy racial slavery topic and exuberant bloodlust in Wild West gunslinger tale, Django Unchained is as a string of intensely gripping sequences. It serves as clashes between personalities, either with means of wit or bullets, acted by intriguing grandiose characters. Screenplay is amazing, chaining scenes after scenes with such gusto from virile visual and fresh audio tunes. It is, however, a violence-ridden movie, and while the comedy balances it well, it could be seen as antagonizing or offensive.

Acting is all round superior with the star-studded cast. Django (Jamie Foxx) looks youthful, determined, vengeful and sly in one life-altering journey, in short, a charismatic badass. If there's a gunslinger epic with palatable protagonist of then lower class stature, Jamie Foxx is perfectly worthy choice. Christopher Waltz as Dr. King Schultz is a phenomenal presence on-screen. As Django's mentor and partner, this eloquently-speaking German bounty hunter is a strikingly deep character, but in the same time able to provide subtle prominent humor, making him an instant favorite.

Leonardo DiCaprio as plantation owner, Calvin Candie, has a flamboyant capitalist persona, bordering on sneaky businessman with hidden sadistic intention. There's a lingering sense of danger as Django and Schultz delve into his business territory. Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen, a caretaker of Candie family's plantation, Candyland, is highly shrewd while pretending to be a loud old grumpy man. Interaction between the characters is as intense as the gunfights, perhaps more so as it precedes them.

Scenes and cinematography are brilliantly crafted, well-structured and masterfully organized. Each brings simple yet effective shots, the dialogues are interesting and the pace is just right to give much needed characterization. Action sequences are overly exaggerated, often depicting flying bodies which liters of blood leaked from. It's unapologetically gruesome, tortured maiden and nutshots included.

It's a lengthy movie, almost three hours or so, and the racial topic might deter some viewers. Those things aside, it's a splendid movie, something of a made from gunpowder and blood, served brazenly.
  87. Feb 19, 2013
    A ridiculous good time, one of Tarantino's most indulgent yet most thoughtful films yet.
    A re-hash of Kill Bill, but with a refreshing setting and with a surprisingly brutal political theme.
  88. Feb 17, 2013
    Tarantino new movie is great he is funny bloody and intresting so let me tell you first why is it funny:all tarantino movies are funny to me becuase that all the killing is so crazy that is very funny.the story is 2 years before the civil war whan django meets with dr king schultz.and schultz make with django a deal that django will help him with is hunting and in the winter they will rescue is wife.so i am very reccomending django unchained Expand
  89. Feb 15, 2013
    Another classic from the legend that is Quentin Tarantino. He simply doesn't deliver average films and 'Django Unchained' continues his wonderful work. Set in the Deep South and Old West, a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) embarks on a trail across America with a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) to rescue his wife from a charismatic and cruel plantation owner (Leo DiCaprio.) The sequences are sensational from the very beginning but the key component in making this film so great is the two intriguing characters at the heart of it, Foxx and Waltz. Inglorious Basterds was a marvellous movie and I thought that Waltz was the shining light and once again he steals the show. He really is an actor on top of his game under the stewardship of Tarantino and he excels. Compared to other Tarantino outings the film is much more linear excluding less flashbacks. Some will complain about the elements of racism but it's part of what Tarantino is tackling with Django. Foxx proves to be a hit in the lead role and delivers a solid performance. It was a genius piece of casting having Leo DiCaprio as the villain. He is a supreme talent and possibly the finest actor of this generation and once more he is in flawless form as the villain of the movie. As usual Samuel L. Jackson makes an appearance and he, as always, is ever dependable. There's also cameo's from the Director himself, Tarantino and Jonah Hill. Django Unchained is without a doubt one of the best films you'll likely see all year round. It's a must see film and another masterstroke from Quentin Tarantino! It has everything you'd expect from one of his films. The laughs are their in abundance, the actions sequences are superb but there's also the serious issues of racism and slavery at the heart of the tale. And to top it off, there's a stellar cast as always delivering oustanding performances. It is a bit on the long side coming in at just under 3 hours but it's a journey you just have to take all the way through to it's grand stand finish! Make no mistake Django is another work of magic from the maestro that is Quentin Tarantino. Expand
  90. Feb 15, 2013
    Very good and sometimes funny western. I like everything on this movie, the cast, the director and the characters, especially Christopher Waltz Dr. King Schultz'. I like this movie a lot!!!
  91. Feb 15, 2013
    An exciting film inspired by spaghetti westerns that once again proves that Quentin Tarantino's writing talent is beyond original (although the movie has some recycled material in it) whether if its the funny dialogues or the fictional twists in the story that is based on the history of American slavery (just like he did in Inglorious Basterds). Quentin is a real filmmaker, he knows exactly how to make his audience feel in every single scene in this film, especially by the help of the amazing score, nonetheless, "Django" is a hilarious film, not only by the help of the brilliant script, but by the help of one of its leading characters bounty hunter Dr King Schultz that is played by one of tarantino's best discoveries, Christopher Waltz, like Tarantino himself, he knows how to express his emotions and story telling in this film. Scene after a scene is a whole other divine cinematic experience although some of them are way too long and should have been cut off. Yes, racism is painful but it's only as painful as this film's punch in the face for our society today. Tarantino's message has certainly spread to my mind, and I am quite positive it will do the same to yours (well not everyone, after all, it's Tarantino). Expand
  92. Feb 15, 2013
    My sole reason that this movie does not get a 10 is that in true Tarantino fashion there were a few ridiculous scenes that took away from the movie. Other than that absolutely fantastic job from everyone involved.
  93. Feb 14, 2013
    This is my favourite Tarantino film yet! Okay, Tarantino fans may not like it because it maybe a tiny bit more mainstream than they'd like but it's got awesome music, a pretty fun story and some awesome acting from Jamie Foxx. I found the pacing with past Tarantino films to be a bit off but this is perfect, it has those trademark ridiculously long scenes and really long monologues but then also a load of fast paced scenes, humour and action. I liked this one especially because I found it quite provocative about the slave trade, what of his past films have done this? IB with nazi's? Not really. This is going to be one of my favourite films for years to come I can tell! :D Expand
  94. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first film I have seen in 2013 is also the first Tarantino film I have seen and the first '18' rated film I have seen at the cinema, and I only have one word to say: Dude. I absolutely loved the film, it was beautifully shot, incredibly well acted (particularly Leonardo Decaprio as Calvin Candy and Christoph Waltz as Dr. Schultz), extremely violent and very funny at times (one of my favourite film moments of all time is the scene completely ridiculing the Ku Klux Klan). This film has made me want to watch every one of Tarantino's films, as I now know what all the fuss is about. I do have a problem with the film however, it is a tad too long, even 10 minutes shaved off the run-time would have been good, however, this is a small gripe with an otherwise perfect film. The film is very well made to show everything in a ridiculous light, other than slavery, which was approached in a way that made parts of the film very hard to watch, but in a good way, as many films based in the 'Wild west' do not even take into account that atrocities like slavery were going on at the time of the cowboy: so I found it educational as well. Bold, bloody, stylistic and not for anybody easily offended by blood or bad language, Django Unchained is one of the best films I have ever seen, if not a little long. Dude, 93/100.

(Also, Candy and Stephen are horrible).
  95. Feb 13, 2013
    A great movie should keep you interested, anticipating what's going to happen next. Django Unchained does just exactly that. It gives a person what they want. Revenge movies are cool for that sense of justice you can feel from them. Samuel L Jackson's character is both hilarious and extremely evil which is incredible. Christoph Waltz is a superb actor as seen in Ingloreous Basterds and once again takes top honors for his acting chops.This film is almost 3 hours long and I am hoping for an extended cut when it's released on blu ray. Yes folks it is that good. Expand
  96. Feb 11, 2013
    Being a Q Tarentino fan, I am a bit bias. His style of storytelling and characters leave me to like almost everything he has done. Including this film. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo Decraprio was a great villian but C Waltz stole the film as the man who brings Django throughout the adventure. The film grabs your attention immediatly and does become dull from brief moments, but the film is nearly 3 hours-so expected some of that. As always a pudgy Tarentino makes his appearance towards the end. Not sure how some say the story (an african american slave getting his revenge/come-uppatnce) is not original/good. There is something for all, a great story, twists and violence to boot. Expand
  97. Feb 10, 2013
    Tarantino at his best. Fantastic. Wasn't expecting it to be as long but the time flew by I was gripped throughout. With some great comedy moments too. Up there with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's best films.
  98. Feb 8, 2013
    I find Tarantino to be on this kick of reversals lately. First he did a Jewish hit sqd killing Nazi's and now Slaves getting revenge. I almost dint want to watch this movie because it just seemed to be a rehash of previous Tarantino film with a different setting.

Having said that, this movie surprised me. It was so well done in its spaghetti western style. The script was very well done
    (as QT normally does). But the Movie never takes itself too seriously. There are very tense action scenes as well as some very comical moments. The characters in this film are very remember-able. If this movie took it self as serious as say reservoirdogs or even pulp fiction, it would have failed. But it was a highly enjoyable movie. Must see even if you dont like QT Expand
  99. Feb 7, 2013
    Great movie that suits Tarantino. The argument is simply but it makes this movie even better (yes, is possible) The only thing that I don't like is the rap music.
  100. Feb 6, 2013
    Proof you can have too much of a good thing? Certainly, Django is just too long and stretched. When it's good, it's excellent with some scenes done really well. The main characters are engaging (Candi, Steven and Schultz being the winners, Django being a little more subdued considering it's his film) and the exchanges between Candi and Schultz are a particular highlight. The violence is extreme but there's a nice touch where the most graphic and affecting moment in the film is only seen through flash frames by Schultz (I wont spoiler it but you'll know what I mean when you see it)

So a great film? Yes and no. I'm a huge QT fan and forgive him more than most (I like Death Proof!) but there's no denying that, much like Peter Jacksons "The Hobbit", that Django Unchained is just that bit too long. There's an un-needed coda at the end which really adds next to nothing, especially after the ferocious and fantastic dinner/ shoot-out at the house scene. Tarantino even throws in a fun, but out of place cameo scene near the end which would have been better placed near the middle. This problem aside, for 3/4 of the film, Django unchained is one of the better Tarantino films and that for me says it all. A 9 for Tarantino fans, maybe more an 8 for others. Metacritic needs an 8.5...

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.