8.5

1. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a very entertaining movie throughout. Lot's of violence, but it's a Tarantino flick, you know what you sign up for when watching. Jamie Foxx was very good. He has the charisma and cojones to make you actually believe he could pull off this legend. Overall, however, the movie was very predictable in Tarantino style. It felt like, oh, I already saw this in Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, and Inglorious Basterds. It was like a mashup of those movies done over the top with slavery thrown in for extra shock and story value. I was entertained, don't get me wrong, but I wish he did something more original with the movie instead of rehashing old ground. The end scene, also, was horrendously cheesy. I know it was an "Homage" but crikey, that was out of place and bad. Save the western ride off into the sunset worship and make a cut with a worthy ending that befits Jamie Foxx's stellar character performance throughout! It's like QT just stripped all of Jamie's charismatic character and the castration that never happened before in the film somehow managed to occur just before he makes his horse dance in a ridiculous forced tribute scene to appease the director's misguided fantasy ending. Expand
  2. Apr 20, 2013
    I was once a real Tarantino fan. He reinvented old style movies and it
    was fun and well made. Problem is, that's all he can do (or is wanting
    to show). His movies got weaker and weaker and even fans could only reply to critic with "It is intentionally bad! It just makes fun of old movies." Same with this one. Most funny thing her is, that very young people are talking like this.
    I was once a real Tarantino fan. He reinvented old style movies and it
    was fun and well made. Problem is, that's all he can do (or is wanting
    to show). His movies got weaker and weaker and even fans could only
    reply to critic with "It is intentionally bad! It just makes fun of old
    movies."

Same with this one. Most funny thing her is, that very young people are
    talking like this. People that never have seen an Italian western
    before but now defend this movie as an obeisance, a critical
    examination or an ironic view. It feels just like Tarantino has thrown
    some episodes together and found no way to combine them. Acting is
    really bad (yes yes, it's for sure intentionally bad like everything in
    this movie) except of Jamie Foxx and Leonardo Di Caprio and. Which is
    kind of funny, because normally I can't stand him and like Christoph
    Waltz. But Waltz' character was most times completely overacted like in
    some school play. Tarantions own small role stood out in relation to
    the rest: like a completely talent less actor. Man, do I miss the
    Tarantino of "From Dusk till Dawn" or "Pulp Fiction"...

So: Story is a mess, acting is crap... what is there else to say? Well.
    The music score is a mixture of cinematic themes, pop music and hip
    hop. Does not fit as good as anywhere in the movie. Cutting was a mess
    too. Some cuts where extremely hard and just done badly.

Only cam was quite good, there were some really nice pictures. And the
    overall theme of slavery and how everyone took their side in this dark
    times (yes, even the white "missus" did take their role of shame) let
    me give a 6.

This movie is neither a obeisance to the old Italien western nor is it
    a critical examination nor an ironic view. It's just took some elements
    and mixed them up quite bad. If it really was intentional it does not
    make a better movie. It's like making a gross hamburger to make fun of
    fast food and then expecting people to eat it with pleasure. Which will
    be done by all the Tarantino fans out there. No matter how bad their
    idol cooks, how bad the burger tastes or how messy it looks: they will
    love it because it's made by their idol. For the rest of us: good there
    are much better restaurants our there. Including the old traditional
    Italian Pizzeria where you can get a real "Django" if you want to.
    Without any erupting blood fountains, they are nowhere to be seen in
    this movie from 1966.
  3. Apr 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this movie. Everything is great, especially the soundtrack which is one of my favorites. The only downside to the movie is that the best characters die 3/4 of the way through. Django, the "main" character, doesn't do or say very much. So in the end when he triumphs, it feels a little awkward and not as satisfying as it could. Still, this a movie I will definitely buy soon. It well deserved the Oscars that it won. Expand
  4. Apr 17, 2013
    Best film of 2012. Best acting of 2012. It is a shockingly exciting
  5. Apr 13, 2013
    Fantastic movie from start to finish

- Brilliant screenplay
    - Excellent acting
    - Good choice of music
    - Great direction by Quentin Tarantino
    Django unchained is the best move of 2012 and is the best movie Quentin Tarantino has made. It is absolutely terrific
  6. Apr 11, 2013
    Compared to "Inglorious Bastard"This movie is just like sh#t.Killing Burning Vulgarity,it's a genuine Spagatti western film really was. Leonardo did his part great.however,the script the story is hardly acceptable,let alone winning an Oscar award. I don't like racism but what the film had portrayed is not only challenging the slavery transaction in the 1800s,but also delivery aCompared to "Inglorious Bastard"This movie is just like sh#t.Killing Burning Vulgarity,it's a genuine Spagatti western film really was. Leonardo did his part great.however,the script the story is hardly acceptable,let alone winning an Oscar award. I don't like racism but what the film had portrayed is not only challenging the slavery transaction in the 1800s,but also delivery a contemptuous attitudes to both laws and human rights. Expand
  7. Apr 9, 2013
    I recommend Django Unchained. It's funny and brutally violent. Good acting, good story and setting, memorable characters (even the minor ones), memorable scenes, main character has an arc.
    It holds nothing back. It has personality.
    I also recommend the original Django (1966).
  8. Apr 6, 2013
    Simply put, this is Quentin Tarantino's best film. Throughout the movie, he breaks down the formula to a creative film and rewrites it completely. This is a film that starts with title cards, opening credits that aren't merely forgettable blips on the bottom of the action, a song named after the titular character, and all the other components of the typical spaghetti western. TheSimply put, this is Quentin Tarantino's best film. Throughout the movie, he breaks down the formula to a creative film and rewrites it completely. This is a film that starts with title cards, opening credits that aren't merely forgettable blips on the bottom of the action, a song named after the titular character, and all the other components of the typical spaghetti western. The revenge-fueled plot and the character archetypes also evoke images John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films.

Strangely enough, however, rap music and sunglasses badassitude trickles into this "Southern". Tarantino, of course, writes in his own style. Excessive (almost cartoonish) violence befalls all characters, the dialogue-only scenes are abundant, and depictions of the pre-Civil War South are brilliant and ominous. Tarantino gives the film a unique atmosphere that I haven't seen since Kill Bill. Django Unchained pulls you into the screen and makes you feel like you are living in the cartoonish, wit-smitten world of the film. I truly felt for Django's quest and was intrigued by the story of his German liberator King Schultz.

Speaking of, the characters in this film are outstanding. Tarantino has always been a character writer, but Django and Schultz may be the best film duo I've ever seen. Each character is interesting on their own level (the introduction of Schultz sparks one of most unexpected and entertaining opening scenes in history), but it's the interaction between Django and Schultz that's most memorable.

Leonardo DiCaprio's villain Calvin Candie is especially potent, to the point that I hated the actor himself for a time after seeing the movie. A slaver with a excessively playboy demeanor, Candie is essentially a hilarious, despicable character that sets up the pieces to introduce the film's true antagonist: Stephen, the head house slave of Candie's plantation (played by Samuel L. Jackson). I can't say too much about this character without spoiling the movie, but it's definitely one of Jackson's scariest roles.

The climax is one of Tarantino's best, I was never bored while watching the three-hour long movie, and I'm still thinking about the characters and the plot today. This is a movie that I will want to rewatch again and again. I have pre-ordered it from Amazon, and I rarely buy things from the Internet. I highly recommend this movie to all but the faintest of souls.
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    Tarantino never disappoints; Django is a hilarious, super stylish, unbelievably bloody, and just plain badass film that happens to be one of the best movies of last year. The performances are all terrific, Waltz, Foxx, DiCaprio (who I normally dislike), and Jackson in particular. The script is great as well. While it may not be as good as Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Basterds (amazing film),Tarantino never disappoints; Django is a hilarious, super stylish, unbelievably bloody, and just plain badass film that happens to be one of the best movies of last year. The performances are all terrific, Waltz, Foxx, DiCaprio (who I normally dislike), and Jackson in particular. The script is great as well. While it may not be as good as Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Basterds (amazing film), Django Unchained is likely the most entertaining film he's ever done. Expand
  10. Apr 1, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino has still got it in this outragously bloody spaghetti western. This movie has lots of things that make this a Tarantino classic. It has great acting, Especially Leonardo DiCaprio, fantastic western action and a great humorous scene (KKK scene). One big thing though was the screenplay. It's great screenplay don't get wrong. It's truly original, but it over uses the "n"Quentin Tarantino has still got it in this outragously bloody spaghetti western. This movie has lots of things that make this a Tarantino classic. It has great acting, Especially Leonardo DiCaprio, fantastic western action and a great humorous scene (KKK scene). One big thing though was the screenplay. It's great screenplay don't get wrong. It's truly original, but it over uses the "n" word, which may offend some people. But other than that it's really just pure genius. Overall, it's an exciting western that people have been dying to see. Expand
  11. Apr 1, 2013
    The 1st thing that strikes me when the credits finally rolled was: "Oh my god, the trailer was so much better!" The 2nd thing was a very depressing thought: The film has no story structure. Christ, this is the man who wrote Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, True Romance. What the hell went wrong? And finally, when DiCaprio gives you the best performance in the film you are in a world of trouble.
  12. Apr 1, 2013
    IN MY OPINION **MAY CONTAIN SPOIILERS** by CtheTav From the very beginning of the film an old style 50's spaghetti western is given off which in part is what this film is. However this film is so much more than homage to the westerns of old. Tarantino has truly outdone himself with this script (a rarity amongst action films these days) with period appropriate racism themes throughout asIN MY OPINION **MAY CONTAIN SPOIILERS** by CtheTav From the very beginning of the film an old style 50's spaghetti western is given off which in part is what this film is. However this film is so much more than homage to the westerns of old. Tarantino has truly outdone himself with this script (a rarity amongst action films these days) with period appropriate racism themes throughout as well as a story that keeps wondering whether the plan will work out in the end. The action in this film is amazingly over the top with blood splattering everywhere and heads exploding left and right. It is almost like Tarantino has used the violence to compliment the style of the film because it looks like good old fashioned special effects. The music in the film is great adding to the atmosphere when playing or purposely omitted. Finally the acting by everyone involved is some of the best performances I have seen from these people and encouraging feelings of hatred towards characters and being pleased to see them suffer. Rating 10 out of 10 The modern western full of style and substance Expand
  13. Mar 31, 2013
    Superb casting makes every moment of this film an absolute joy to watch despite its 165 min length. Waltz and DiCaprio steal the show, but the acting is allround exellent. Production design, cinematography, costumes and music (except for some lame hip-hop songs) were all top level! Highly recommended!
  14. Mar 31, 2013
    Creatively LAZY, uninventive, poorly edited, over-long. This film is BAD all over. Any hope you have for it at the start ebbs away at a faster and faster pace as it drags on to its pathetic, cliched, gory conclusion. Why is this director renowned? The cinematography is lame and forgettable. Not a single scene or sequence of editing expresses anything of value. Tarantino is a dreadfulCreatively LAZY, uninventive, poorly edited, over-long. This film is BAD all over. Any hope you have for it at the start ebbs away at a faster and faster pace as it drags on to its pathetic, cliched, gory conclusion. Why is this director renowned? The cinematography is lame and forgettable. Not a single scene or sequence of editing expresses anything of value. Tarantino is a dreadful director of acting. All the performances are bad in this film, and his own cameo is squirm-inspiringly dreadful. The writing is also lame, and it beggars belief that this was given an academy award. All it has in it is the repeated central scene using foreign language, like QT is trying to impress his continental buddies with how hip he is, and then covering itself for the bad script with gratuitous violence of the use-till its BORING Tarantino's use of violence is also weak. In this movie death is used as a comedy prop. When it fails to be funny, it just makes the audience feel naseous. Rather than direct our ill-will towards the supposed 'bad-guys' of the story its likely to lead to our hatred for the script writer: QT himself. I guess there are some giggles to be had laughing at the caricatures of southern American stereotypes. But in the end I felt sorry for the actors, trapped in the circus of bad script. Poor Leonardo De Crapplio was especially bad as the "Candy Man'. Candy has too slaves killed before him in a single day, yet neither scene makes any sense, and is a case of terrible acting failing in a terrible plot. Without a doubt slavery in the South truly piled evil upon evil. Sadly QT has not grown up, and possesses none of the intelligence, wisdom, of vision needed to deal with any of that. His movies continue to get WORSE AND WORSE and this one is just about unwatchably BAD. The one gimmick he has that is endearing is throwing on a good song now and again. But it's just a gimmick QT. You look old, fat, stupid and irrelevant. Brother you ARE! I saw the interview where QT thinks he is in a sweet patch? No boy! You are all washed up! This movie SUCKS! 1/10 for the music. I won't be seeing whatever crap he flings at us next. Expand
  15. Mar 29, 2013
    The violence in this film is really over the top, but that is not unusual for a Quentin Tarantino movie. What you are watching when you see Django is a sick mind at work, not very different from watching Inglorious Bastards. The film is also much too long. Cutting out the gore would probably shorten it by an hour.
  16. Mar 28, 2013
    This is by far my favorite movie of 2012. I am a HUGE Tarantino fan and he definitely didn't disappoint me with this one. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo Dicaprio were incredible!
  17. Mar 28, 2013
    great personal story of the main character django. the character felt overpowered and locked on easy mode, when did he become such a hardcore bounty hunter in his short time with dr king. it would have been nice to see him go through some trials. there are a few snooze part like with the bag masks, which had nothing to do with anything and was a waste of time. so the hunter becomes thegreat personal story of the main character django. the character felt overpowered and locked on easy mode, when did he become such a hardcore bounty hunter in his short time with dr king. it would have been nice to see him go through some trials. there are a few snooze part like with the bag masks, which had nothing to do with anything and was a waste of time. so the hunter becomes the hunted? would have been nice to see some people coming to collect on django's head. it just had too much of a good guy always wins attitude with cheery music and not enough 'GRIT'. some more variety in action scenes would have been great instead of a dual wielding gun slinger and thats it. more characters to help django in his quest would have been great too. Expand
  18. Mar 23, 2013
    That is another way to have a good time, that a western dish made ​​by Tarantino. Quentin Tarantino returns to give us a work belica amazing and disturbing.

A single theme: revenge. And Tarantino thinks exploit until no more to give. This time it's the deep south of the United States, in which Django (Jamie Foxx), a freed slave by Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) becomes a hit man to save his wife from the brutal Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), the owner of a cotton plantation where blacks are treated as fighting dogs and women as prostitutes.

As always, Tarantino uses his famous narrative techniques: references to westerns of Sergio Leone or West satires Mel Brooks; metaphorical ultra violent shocks in their dialogue or their images (such as cotton plants spattered with blood and brains), or proud frames Snowscapes that for a moment we suggest that Tarantino may be the one that tells a fable about the period when slavery was legal in the United States. But Quentin is a style, and Quentin is how that translates to bottom: dry humor and a dose of cynicism that always seems waive really explore the subject.

The performances are absolutely spotless, you can expect great scenes with perfect choreography and revenge as melodrama.

The bad thing you may notice is that often extended, many scenes can become boring and take a while to appear the scenes that everyone expects, it is true that violent and low points to the movie, but if you're a big fan of Tarantino, you will have no problem in full view.
    That's right: nobody-nobody-chosen music as Tarantino: this time the protagonist returns to make a soundtrack that includes music by Ennio Morricone and songs with vocals 2pac, James Brown and Jamie Foxx.

"A southern spaghetti" is the genre that Tarantino Django Unchained awards and as such is a very tasty and popcorn film.
    Not forget to wear a raincoat for bloodshed and enjoy it.
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    Mr Tarantino has create yet another master piece. This is the story of freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter travels to rescue his wife it is an hilarious awe inspiring western. brilliant acting all round charming performance from waltz and powerful performance from leo dicaprio. 10/10
  20. Mar 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Django Unchained being Quentin Tarantino's latest film is as usual very exciting and violent, but that goes without saying because its a Tarantino film. With the excellent casting he has managed to get together I don't think the film could have been much better. Dango Unchained is based in 1857 nearing the end of slavery. Django (Jamie Foxx) gives a very gentle character at the beginning but throughout the film he gets very determined character trying to get his wife back Brumhilda (Kerry Washington) who hasn't got a very big role, with help from Dr. King Shultz (Christof Waltz) who is a dentist but works with Django as a partnership being a bounty hunter, Dr King Shultz asks Django to point out who the Brittle brothers are and in reward he will help Django find his wife. Brumhilda (Django's wife) was found to be at Candy Land (a slave farm) owned by Calvin Candy (leonardo DiCaprio). Django and Dr. King Shultz have to try and shoot their way out of Candie land to survive and rescue Broomhilda. Samuel Jackson also appears in the second half of the film as stephan a black slave trader. This film is funny, violent, exciting and memorable for life. Expand
  21. Jaz
    Mar 11, 2013
    Very interesting characters, good acting, some very nice scenes but an average movie as a whole. Still, you have a good time in the theater and that's it.
  22. Mar 11, 2013
    Spike Lee wishes he was as brilliant as Tarantino. Of course He'll call me a racist for that comment instead of actually making a decent film. Tarantino continues to outdo himself. I use to go back and forth between Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards as my favorite Tarantino film, now Django is entered into my internal debate. Undoubtedly the funniest Tarantino scene is the white hoodSpike Lee wishes he was as brilliant as Tarantino. Of course He'll call me a racist for that comment instead of actually making a decent film. Tarantino continues to outdo himself. I use to go back and forth between Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Bastards as my favorite Tarantino film, now Django is entered into my internal debate. Undoubtedly the funniest Tarantino scene is the white hood scene. I couldn't stop laughing, it was brilliant! Waltz is incredible, Leo evil, Washington nailed the emotion, Samuel L Jackson made you hate him, and Fox made Django real. The best cast of 2012. Expand
  23. Mar 11, 2013
    I think that people tend to give into the hype of a movie just because of who the director is. I thought it was a decent movie, but it has a low of flaws. My biggest problem with it is that for a film that's supposed to be about fighting for love, it seemed to be pretty absent as a theme. Also, it's supposed to be a sad story, but it turns into some sort of farce halfway through. I leftI think that people tend to give into the hype of a movie just because of who the director is. I thought it was a decent movie, but it has a low of flaws. My biggest problem with it is that for a film that's supposed to be about fighting for love, it seemed to be pretty absent as a theme. Also, it's supposed to be a sad story, but it turns into some sort of farce halfway through. I left entertained, but confused. Expand
  24. Mar 11, 2013
    An incredibly entertaining film, nothing you wouldn't expect from Tarantino. Great acting by all. The violence is over the top, but that's what you get from Tarantino. Another great soundtrack as well, mixing Western and Hip Hop, my favorite track/scene is with Anthony Hamilton Elayna Boynton's "Freedom."
  25. Mar 9, 2013
    Its one of Tarantino's best work, Django provides an exhilirating and brutal plot that pleases Tarantino fans and other fans alot.
  26. Mar 9, 2013
    Tarantino is no ordinary director: he has a good ear for music and a vivid imagination for making interesting stories with dazzling dialogues and creating iconic characters that you wont easily forget. And to this extend, this film also adheres to these values and even though it is by no means a bad film, it just isn`t of the same high standard that he has set himself so far. I willTarantino is no ordinary director: he has a good ear for music and a vivid imagination for making interesting stories with dazzling dialogues and creating iconic characters that you wont easily forget. And to this extend, this film also adheres to these values and even though it is by no means a bad film, it just isn`t of the same high standard that he has set himself so far. I will definitely see his next film again for the music, the inventive parley and the dialogue and the eccentricity of his leading role. Expand
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    Django Unchained the best film from visionary director Quentin Tarantino .What a cool movie. A homage to the old spaghetti-western and again a movie about vengeance. Incredible acting from all actors.The soundtrack is amazing. All in all a perfect movie.
  28. Mar 3, 2013
    I went to go see this on Christmas Day and since then it has been lodged into my brain and I can't get it out of my head. Very good dialogue, adrenaline pumping action, what's not to like. If you are a Tarantino fan you'll love this movie with every bit of your heart. This is in my opinion the best movie of 2012 and if my opinion does mean anything my favorite movie of all time.
  29. Feb 27, 2013
    Wow. For its length, the movie flew by at an alarming rate. The dialogue was sharp. Christoph Waltz carried the movie on his shoulders for so long it was a surprise he played only a supporting character. The action, exposition and dialogue were well balanced, and the script definitely deserved an Oscar. It was highly entertaining. Like Inglourious Basterds, this movie was kind of a wishWow. For its length, the movie flew by at an alarming rate. The dialogue was sharp. Christoph Waltz carried the movie on his shoulders for so long it was a surprise he played only a supporting character. The action, exposition and dialogue were well balanced, and the script definitely deserved an Oscar. It was highly entertaining. Like Inglourious Basterds, this movie was kind of a wish fulfillment. If someone was oppressed, we as humans would like them to strike back with vengeance. It was a good catharsis. It doesn't mean anyone who enjoyed watching it endorses violence against whites... just that what happened was wrong and those who enslaved should have suffered most horribly. But that time is long gone. Lessons should be learnt from that era, but grudges should be let go. Expand
  30. Feb 27, 2013
    Django Unchained's greatest strength has always been Tarantino's greatest strength: An original story! In a time of the prequels, sequels, and adaptions of virtually every single novel that appeared in the last decade, Tarantino is a rarity in film making. The ability to create new characters and settings is a huge undertaking in itself, but to make them work is a whole new ballgame. InDjango Unchained's greatest strength has always been Tarantino's greatest strength: An original story! In a time of the prequels, sequels, and adaptions of virtually every single novel that appeared in the last decade, Tarantino is a rarity in film making. The ability to create new characters and settings is a huge undertaking in itself, but to make them work is a whole new ballgame. In every Tarantino film, the audience sees the guilty pleasures of a man that just LOVES making good movies. While the film is adequate in the technical areas such as cinematography and editing, the direction and writing of the film is superb! Django is irreverent, hilarious, violent,and frightening that brings back the audience to a place of pure escapism that movies were attended to do. Each scene and shot is unpredictable and made the audience guess in anticipation of what is going to happen next. Tarantino makes no apologies for what he creates and proves that one does need to sell out to the CGI infested billion dollar movie factory to create an original and entertaining film! Expand
  31. Feb 26, 2013
    A great movie, with great actors and real good scenes in it. The soundtrack is one of the best movie soundtracks ever. The only problem is that the film doesn´t maintain the quality after waltz and dicaprio are gone and is therefore not getting the full score.
  32. Feb 26, 2013
    Ever since Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino has shocked audiences into submission with naturalistic dialogue and unnecessary amounts of fake blood and Django is no different. Django tells the story of Django (Jamie Foxx) a rebellious slave freed by a bounty hunter, Dr King Shultz (A sublime Christoph Waltz) who needs his help hunting his next bounty. The two head off in search of thisEver since Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino has shocked audiences into submission with naturalistic dialogue and unnecessary amounts of fake blood and Django is no different. Django tells the story of Django (Jamie Foxx) a rebellious slave freed by a bounty hunter, Dr King Shultz (A sublime Christoph Waltz) who needs his help hunting his next bounty. The two head off in search of this bounty and Django's wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) who is a slave at Candyland, a brutal southern plantation run by Calvin Candie (a wonderfully temperamental Leonardo Dicaprio). It's a thrilling film and the only real problems with Django are that it suffers from some pacing issues and has a woeful cameo by Tarantino himself which borders on hilarity but just manages to irritate. In its dialogue the film sparks but in the build up to the violent set pieces the film flounders until suddenly the gunfire breaks out and we are back off to the races. Its a whole lot of stop and start which in some aspects detract from the enjoyment. Ultimately the film is fantastic for the most part with some fine performances by Waltz, DIcaprio, Foxx and Samuel L Jackson who gives a performance that is on par with his in my opinion best performance in the equally wonderful Tarantino flick Jackie Brown. Despite the bleak nature of the film and the shocking imagery used, Tarantino's wit and keen eye for detail save the film from being downright miserable and even give it a happy go lucky feel which is remarkable. Overall Tarantino delivers on everything you expect with flying colours but deep down you may be expecting a little more originality as he plays multiple cards from his own deck but never strives for anything out of the ordinary. A great film by regular standards, an average Tarantino film. Expand
  33. Feb 25, 2013
    Almost 3 hours and at no stage did it feel drawn out or too long. This trumps Inglorious Basterds and suits as Tarintino's best film. A funny, witty, slick, violent homage to spaghetti westerns set with the dark backdrop of the racist wild west.
  34. Feb 25, 2013
    A film with no flaw. Django Unchained gave me everything I want from a Tarantino film and more. Christoph Waltz in his "supporting" role (Although I, and I think many people would say he stole the show) as Dr Schultz did a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained. I cannot go without saying that the casting of the film was impeccable, and watch out for Quentin's cameo, because it's aA film with no flaw. Django Unchained gave me everything I want from a Tarantino film and more. Christoph Waltz in his "supporting" role (Although I, and I think many people would say he stole the show) as Dr Schultz did a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained. I cannot go without saying that the casting of the film was impeccable, and watch out for Quentin's cameo, because it's a good one. The costume and set designs as always are beautifully done. The gore is, although over-the-top, is very fun to watch and will have you squirming in your seats. All in all, I am very pleased that Mr Waltz and Mr Tarantino came home happy from the Oscars on Sunday Night. Expand
  35. Feb 25, 2013
    A great movie that explores one of the most horrible times in our history. "Django Unchained" has Quentin Tarantino's mark all over it no one but him is able to mix humour, action and tragedy in a way like it's done in this movie. My favourite Tarantino-film will always be "Pulp Fiction" but this is his most entertaining movie to date. The only thing that pulls down the overall score ofA great movie that explores one of the most horrible times in our history. "Django Unchained" has Quentin Tarantino's mark all over it no one but him is able to mix humour, action and tragedy in a way like it's done in this movie. My favourite Tarantino-film will always be "Pulp Fiction" but this is his most entertaining movie to date. The only thing that pulls down the overall score of the movie is its lenght it could have been 20-30 minutes shorter. Expand
  36. Feb 23, 2013
    Skip this bloated turd and do your self a favor: watch the amazing 1966 Django. The days of Quentin Tarantino being cool as a film maker are way over. He needs to be the new Siskel Ebert, that would be awesome.
  37. Feb 23, 2013
    Where to begin. This was an extremely disappointing film. Firstly let me start by saying that I am usually a fan of Tarantino's work (Kill Bill vol.1 and Death Proof aside) and I absolutely adored Inglorious Basterds, so obviously with the historical setting I had high hopes for this one. Hopes that were not fulfilled. The characters were just... awful. Bland, almost lucidly fake, or justWhere to begin. This was an extremely disappointing film. Firstly let me start by saying that I am usually a fan of Tarantino's work (Kill Bill vol.1 and Death Proof aside) and I absolutely adored Inglorious Basterds, so obviously with the historical setting I had high hopes for this one. Hopes that were not fulfilled. The characters were just... awful. Bland, almost lucidly fake, or just stupidly unsubtle and over the top like Samuel L Jackson's Uncle Tom or the moustache-twiddling, almost thunder and lightning inducing bad guy Calvin Candie. Seriously, was the cast of characters written by a teenager? Stoned? Then there's the 'comedy'. If you appreciate KKK humour or the shooting of the white devil, then by all means go and see this film and satisfy those moronic urges. Art direction was poor for a Tarantino, no memorable locations apart from the first plantation they visit. Just... really poor. I could literally give many many many more reasons why this film is an abomination but I actually can't be bothered, much how I feel Tarantino felt when making this. As for the stupidly high score, I just have no idea what the 'critics' saw. I mean, it is simply awful. Rant over. Expand
  38. Feb 23, 2013
    Real film with Tarantino seal, bloody, strong, and reflective of what the black man lived years ago; clear here is changed a little history. Finally, Django is a tough movie with a clever script carried out by good performances mainly the best cast Waltz!
  39. Feb 22, 2013
    As a native of Mississippi, I have to say that this movie is...Fantastic. It really brings to light the absurdity of slavery and the rampant ignorance found across the country on such an issue. Whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos--ALL ethnicities sat in the theater together laughing and cringing collectively. It's over-the-top Tarantino at his best. In comparison to Inglourious Basterds,As a native of Mississippi, I have to say that this movie is...Fantastic. It really brings to light the absurdity of slavery and the rampant ignorance found across the country on such an issue. Whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos--ALL ethnicities sat in the theater together laughing and cringing collectively. It's over-the-top Tarantino at his best. In comparison to Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained is much more balanced, maintaining sharp dialogue and awesome action that audiences have come to love. If this were a truly offensive flick, as critics seem to point out, Django would not have had such excellent actors play lead roles, and the NAACP Image Awards would not have recognized it with such acclaim. Note: Greenville, MS, doesn't look anything like that, but who really cares. Expand
  40. Feb 20, 2013
    Cleverly combining heavy racial slavery topic and exuberant bloodlust in Wild West gunslinger tale, Django Unchained is as a string of intensely gripping sequences. It serves as clashes between personalities, either with means of wit or bullets, acted by intriguing grandiose characters. Screenplay is amazing, chaining scenes after scenes with such gusto from virile visual and fresh audioCleverly combining heavy racial slavery topic and exuberant bloodlust in Wild West gunslinger tale, Django Unchained is as a string of intensely gripping sequences. It serves as clashes between personalities, either with means of wit or bullets, acted by intriguing grandiose characters. Screenplay is amazing, chaining scenes after scenes with such gusto from virile visual and fresh audio tunes. It is, however, a violence-ridden movie, and while the comedy balances it well, it could be seen as antagonizing or offensive.

Acting is all round superior with the star-studded cast. Django (Jamie Foxx) looks youthful, determined, vengeful and sly in one life-altering journey, in short, a charismatic badass. If there's a gunslinger epic with palatable protagonist of then lower class stature, Jamie Foxx is perfectly worthy choice. Christopher Waltz as Dr. King Schultz is a phenomenal presence on-screen. As Django's mentor and partner, this eloquently-speaking German bounty hunter is a strikingly deep character, but in the same time able to provide subtle prominent humor, making him an instant favorite.

Leonardo DiCaprio as plantation owner, Calvin Candie, has a flamboyant capitalist persona, bordering on sneaky businessman with hidden sadistic intention. There's a lingering sense of danger as Django and Schultz delve into his business territory. Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen, a caretaker of Candie family's plantation, Candyland, is highly shrewd while pretending to be a loud old grumpy man. Interaction between the characters is as intense as the gunfights, perhaps more so as it precedes them.

Scenes and cinematography are brilliantly crafted, well-structured and masterfully organized. Each brings simple yet effective shots, the dialogues are interesting and the pace is just right to give much needed characterization. Action sequences are overly exaggerated, often depicting flying bodies which liters of blood leaked from. It's unapologetically gruesome, tortured maiden and nutshots included.

It's a lengthy movie, almost three hours or so, and the racial topic might deter some viewers. Those things aside, it's a splendid movie, something of a made from gunpowder and blood, served brazenly.
  41. Feb 20, 2013
    It appears to be very appealing and attractive from the far but it is actually very meaningless when I look at it from the inside, like a king without cloth.
  42. Feb 19, 2013
    A ridiculous good time, one of Tarantino's most indulgent yet most thoughtful films yet.
    A re-hash of Kill Bill, but with a refreshing setting and with a surprisingly brutal political theme.
  43. Feb 17, 2013
    Tarantino new movie is great he is funny bloody and intresting so let me tell you first why is it funny:all tarantino movies are funny to me becuase that all the killing is so crazy that is very funny.the story is 2 years before the civil war whan django meets with dr king schultz.and schultz make with django a deal that django will help him with is hunting and in the winter they willTarantino new movie is great he is funny bloody and intresting so let me tell you first why is it funny:all tarantino movies are funny to me becuase that all the killing is so crazy that is very funny.the story is 2 years before the civil war whan django meets with dr king schultz.and schultz make with django a deal that django will help him with is hunting and in the winter they will rescue is wife.so i am very reccomending django unchained Expand
  44. Feb 17, 2013
    Waltz, as always, is amazing and Foxx is solid as well. DiCaprio is a solid villain as well. While it is an enjoyable movie, It is far too long (nearly 3 hours). It did get to the point where I simply felt I was grinding out the movie instead of enjoying it. I think it would have been more enjoyable if it was shorter. Aside from that, It was a solid movie.
  45. Feb 15, 2013
    An unapologetic Quentin Tarantino filmed themed around revenge and retribution. "Django Unchained" is about the ruthless emancipation of a taunted slave. Though I saw no profound point to the film, Django's gradual development as an unchained monster was quite entertaining. The title of the film is absolutely on-point. Notice how the title is not "Django Freed"....a more beastly adjectiveAn unapologetic Quentin Tarantino filmed themed around revenge and retribution. "Django Unchained" is about the ruthless emancipation of a taunted slave. Though I saw no profound point to the film, Django's gradual development as an unchained monster was quite entertaining. The title of the film is absolutely on-point. Notice how the title is not "Django Freed"....a more beastly adjective was supplemented instead. Memorable quote (paraphrased): "Don't go overboard with the retribution, Django." Dr. King Shultz

Oscar worthy? Debatable.
  46. Feb 15, 2013
    Another classic from the legend that is Quentin Tarantino. He simply doesn't deliver average films and 'Django Unchained' continues his wonderful work. Set in the Deep South and Old West, a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) embarks on a trail across America with a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) to rescue his wife from a charismatic and cruel plantation owner (Leo DiCaprio.) The sequencesAnother classic from the legend that is Quentin Tarantino. He simply doesn't deliver average films and 'Django Unchained' continues his wonderful work. Set in the Deep South and Old West, a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) embarks on a trail across America with a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) to rescue his wife from a charismatic and cruel plantation owner (Leo DiCaprio.) The sequences are sensational from the very beginning but the key component in making this film so great is the two intriguing characters at the heart of it, Foxx and Waltz. Inglorious Basterds was a marvellous movie and I thought that Waltz was the shining light and once again he steals the show. He really is an actor on top of his game under the stewardship of Tarantino and he excels. Compared to other Tarantino outings the film is much more linear excluding less flashbacks. Some will complain about the elements of racism but it's part of what Tarantino is tackling with Django. Foxx proves to be a hit in the lead role and delivers a solid performance. It was a genius piece of casting having Leo DiCaprio as the villain. He is a supreme talent and possibly the finest actor of this generation and once more he is in flawless form as the villain of the movie. As usual Samuel L. Jackson makes an appearance and he, as always, is ever dependable. There's also cameo's from the Director himself, Tarantino and Jonah Hill. Django Unchained is without a doubt one of the best films you'll likely see all year round. It's a must see film and another masterstroke from Quentin Tarantino! It has everything you'd expect from one of his films. The laughs are their in abundance, the actions sequences are superb but there's also the serious issues of racism and slavery at the heart of the tale. And to top it off, there's a stellar cast as always delivering oustanding performances. It is a bit on the long side coming in at just under 3 hours but it's a journey you just have to take all the way through to it's grand stand finish! Make no mistake Django is another work of magic from the maestro that is Quentin Tarantino. Expand
  47. Feb 15, 2013
    For those who are not QT-believers, Django offers rather dull and tiresome movie with few entertaining moments. See for yourselves on DVD, since in theatre where you must sit still you will just get bored. Curious though, I do not lose attention easily. Enjoyed Hobit and many other lenghty movies, but Django just caused nausea.
  48. Feb 15, 2013
    Very good and sometimes funny western. I like everything on this movie, the cast, the director and the characters, especially Christopher Waltz Dr. King Schultz'. I like this movie a lot!!!
  49. Feb 15, 2013
    An exciting film inspired by spaghetti westerns that once again proves that Quentin Tarantino's writing talent is beyond original (although the movie has some recycled material in it) whether if its the funny dialogues or the fictional twists in the story that is based on the history of American slavery (just like he did in Inglorious Basterds). Quentin is a real filmmaker, he knowsAn exciting film inspired by spaghetti westerns that once again proves that Quentin Tarantino's writing talent is beyond original (although the movie has some recycled material in it) whether if its the funny dialogues or the fictional twists in the story that is based on the history of American slavery (just like he did in Inglorious Basterds). Quentin is a real filmmaker, he knows exactly how to make his audience feel in every single scene in this film, especially by the help of the amazing score, nonetheless, "Django" is a hilarious film, not only by the help of the brilliant script, but by the help of one of its leading characters bounty hunter Dr King Schultz that is played by one of tarantino's best discoveries, Christopher Waltz, like Tarantino himself, he knows how to express his emotions and story telling in this film. Scene after a scene is a whole other divine cinematic experience although some of them are way too long and should have been cut off. Yes, racism is painful but it's only as painful as this film's punch in the face for our society today. Tarantino's message has certainly spread to my mind, and I am quite positive it will do the same to yours (well not everyone, after all, it's Tarantino). Expand
  50. Feb 15, 2013
    My sole reason that this movie does not get a 10 is that in true Tarantino fashion there were a few ridiculous scenes that took away from the movie. Other than that absolutely fantastic job from everyone involved.
  51. Feb 14, 2013
    wasnt really planning on watching this after sitting thru truely atrocious inglorious bastards, but didn't mind this one so much, the movie kicks off with classic tarantino cheesy dialogue filled set pieces. the latter scenes splash a in good wack of spaghetti western charm. its corny fare, but not hard to watch, and a slight improvement on tarantino's recent outings
  52. Feb 14, 2013
    This is my favourite Tarantino film yet! Okay, Tarantino fans may not like it because it maybe a tiny bit more mainstream than they'd like but it's got awesome music, a pretty fun story and some awesome acting from Jamie Foxx. I found the pacing with past Tarantino films to be a bit off but this is perfect, it has those trademark ridiculously long scenes and really long monologues but thenThis is my favourite Tarantino film yet! Okay, Tarantino fans may not like it because it maybe a tiny bit more mainstream than they'd like but it's got awesome music, a pretty fun story and some awesome acting from Jamie Foxx. I found the pacing with past Tarantino films to be a bit off but this is perfect, it has those trademark ridiculously long scenes and really long monologues but then also a load of fast paced scenes, humour and action. I liked this one especially because I found it quite provocative about the slave trade, what of his past films have done this? IB with nazi's? Not really. This is going to be one of my favourite films for years to come I can tell! :D Expand
  53. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first film I have seen in 2013 is also the first Tarantino film I have seen and the first '18' rated film I have seen at the cinema, and I only have one word to say: Dude. I absolutely loved the film, it was beautifully shot, incredibly well acted (particularly Leonardo Decaprio as Calvin Candy and Christoph Waltz as Dr. Schultz), extremely violent and very funny at times (one of my favourite film moments of all time is the scene completely ridiculing the Ku Klux Klan). This film has made me want to watch every one of Tarantino's films, as I now know what all the fuss is about. I do have a problem with the film however, it is a tad too long, even 10 minutes shaved off the run-time would have been good, however, this is a small gripe with an otherwise perfect film. The film is very well made to show everything in a ridiculous light, other than slavery, which was approached in a way that made parts of the film very hard to watch, but in a good way, as many films based in the 'Wild west' do not even take into account that atrocities like slavery were going on at the time of the cowboy: so I found it educational as well. Bold, bloody, stylistic and not for anybody easily offended by blood or bad language, Django Unchained is one of the best films I have ever seen, if not a little long. Dude, 93/100.

(Also, Candy and Stephen are horrible).
  54. Feb 13, 2013
    A great movie should keep you interested, anticipating what's going to happen next. Django Unchained does just exactly that. It gives a person what they want. Revenge movies are cool for that sense of justice you can feel from them. Samuel L Jackson's character is both hilarious and extremely evil which is incredible. Christoph Waltz is a superb actor as seen in Ingloreous Basterds andA great movie should keep you interested, anticipating what's going to happen next. Django Unchained does just exactly that. It gives a person what they want. Revenge movies are cool for that sense of justice you can feel from them. Samuel L Jackson's character is both hilarious and extremely evil which is incredible. Christoph Waltz is a superb actor as seen in Ingloreous Basterds and once again takes top honors for his acting chops.This film is almost 3 hours long and I am hoping for an extended cut when it's released on blu ray. Yes folks it is that good. Expand
  55. Feb 11, 2013
    Being a Q Tarentino fan, I am a bit bias. His style of storytelling and characters leave me to like almost everything he has done. Including this film. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo Decraprio was a great villian but C Waltz stole the film as the man who brings Django throughout the adventure. The film grabs your attention immediatly and does become dull from brief moments, but the film isBeing a Q Tarentino fan, I am a bit bias. His style of storytelling and characters leave me to like almost everything he has done. Including this film. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo Decraprio was a great villian but C Waltz stole the film as the man who brings Django throughout the adventure. The film grabs your attention immediatly and does become dull from brief moments, but the film is nearly 3 hours-so expected some of that. As always a pudgy Tarentino makes his appearance towards the end. Not sure how some say the story (an african american slave getting his revenge/come-uppatnce) is not original/good. There is something for all, a great story, twists and violence to boot. Expand
  56. Feb 10, 2013
    Tarantino at his best. Fantastic. Wasn't expecting it to be as long but the time flew by I was gripped throughout. With some great comedy moments too. Up there with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's best films.
  57. Feb 8, 2013
    I find Tarantino to be on this kick of reversals lately. First he did a Jewish hit sqd killing Nazi's and now Slaves getting revenge. I almost dint want to watch this movie because it just seemed to be a rehash of previous Tarantino film with a different setting.

Having said that, this movie surprised me. It was so well done in its spaghetti western style. The script was very well done (as QT normally does). But the Movie never takes itself too seriously. There are very tense action scenes as well as some very comical moments. The characters in this film are very remember-able. If this movie took it self as serious as say reservoirdogs or even pulp fiction, it would have failed. But it was a highly enjoyable movie. Must see even if you dont like QT
  58. Feb 7, 2013
    Great movie that suits Tarantino. The argument is simply but it makes this movie even better (yes, is possible) The only thing that I don't like is the rap music.
  59. Feb 6, 2013
    Proof you can have too much of a good thing? Certainly, Django is just too long and stretched. When it's good, it's excellent with some scenes done really well. The main characters are engaging (Candi, Steven and Schultz being the winners, Django being a little more subdued considering it's his film) and the exchanges between Candi and Schultz are a particular highlight. The violence isProof you can have too much of a good thing? Certainly, Django is just too long and stretched. When it's good, it's excellent with some scenes done really well. The main characters are engaging (Candi, Steven and Schultz being the winners, Django being a little more subdued considering it's his film) and the exchanges between Candi and Schultz are a particular highlight. The violence is extreme but there's a nice touch where the most graphic and affecting moment in the film is only seen through flash frames by Schultz (I wont spoiler it but you'll know what I mean when you see it)

So a great film? Yes and no. I'm a huge QT fan and forgive him more than most (I like Death Proof!) but there's no denying that, much like Peter Jacksons "The Hobbit", that Django Unchained is just that bit too long. There's an un-needed coda at the end which really adds next to nothing, especially after the ferocious and fantastic dinner/ shoot-out at the house scene. Tarantino even throws in a fun, but out of place cameo scene near the end which would have been better placed near the middle. This problem aside, for 3/4 of the film, Django unchained is one of the better Tarantino films and that for me says it all. A 9 for Tarantino fans, maybe more an 8 for others. Metacritic needs an 8.5...
  60. Feb 5, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino best film. Some wonderful performances in this film from jamie foxx leo dicaprio christoph waltz which is now one of my favorite actors is just wonderful in this film and samuel l jackson one of his most memorable performance with quotes like "who dis n***a on dat neigh" and dem MF aren't here to buy no mandingo". Beautifully written and well directed 10/10.
  61. Feb 5, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino gives us another trademark film which, whilst acknowledging the spaghetti westerns of the 60's, is also a true original. The film has some great writing and is performed with relish by an enthusiastic cast playing colourful characters in a film full of colour in every sense of the word. Christoph Waltz does a sort of reprise of his 'Inglorious Basterds' character but isQuentin Tarantino gives us another trademark film which, whilst acknowledging the spaghetti westerns of the 60's, is also a true original. The film has some great writing and is performed with relish by an enthusiastic cast playing colourful characters in a film full of colour in every sense of the word. Christoph Waltz does a sort of reprise of his 'Inglorious Basterds' character but is much nicer here, and Leonardo Di Caprio cast against type plays Calvin Candie with villainous relish. For the most part this is a fun journey. Tarantino definitely subscribes to the notion that nothing succeeds like excess, and bloody excess at that! The film is audacious, humorous, violent and a lot of the time played with its tongue firmly in its cheek. Music, including some fabulous new songs, is also used to perfect effect. It's also a pleasure to see a bunch of character actors from the 60's and 70's popping up in supporting roles to remind us of how good they were, and still are Expand
  62. Feb 4, 2013
    To me this is Tarantino's weakest effort yet. The film is funny at times, but does not manage to sustain interest throughout. It lasts for almost 3(!) hours, which is far too long with a plot as thin as this.
  63. Feb 3, 2013
    Great Movie! People saying that the use of the N word was over used, "Ummm, how would you know!" Hell as much as I hear it just on XBOX Live Alone, when whites get pissed when getting beat in say COD, I really doubt it was not used as much in a daily business when it was just how the people talked. Having been in Georgia in the 60's I can tell you, it was used a lot then.

For the

For the people saying that slavery did not exist in Western USA, do some research, I will even point you in the right direction with this link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#History_of_slavery_in_individual_states and to start with say California http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery_in_California ...

Why do so many people hate the truth. Wanna deny how wicked some are or have been, it is what it was and is!

But I also want to give thanks to Blacks, and Whites, or all races, or should I just say "People" that have and continue to help make things known, for to know will make "those" that are wise enough to not be fooled again. Also thanks to these "People" again, for not being bigots or racist!

PEACE to the Humane Mankind.
  64. Feb 3, 2013
    This movie simply has no genre and that's what makes it interesting. It's pure unadulterated fun within a twisted Tarantino story of revenge. Great acting from DiCaprio and Sam L. Jackson.
  65. Feb 3, 2013
    This movie is, as the name implies, chainless or as the young folk say off the chain. Tarantino kills it again, with scenes that have you at the edge of your seat, heros that steal your heart, and antagonists that you love to hate. If you haven't seen it do your self a favor, get to a theater, watch Django unchained, and thank me later.
  66. Jan 31, 2013
    You either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, your actors sublime and ridiculous, your cinematography sprawling and personal, your soundtrack eclectic and coherent, then "Django Unchained" willYou either love Tarantino or you hate him. If you're an uptight, PC liberal prude who hates Tarantino, this film will do nothing to change your mind. But, if you like your films to be violent and witty, your dialogue brilliant and smart, your actors sublime and ridiculous, your cinematography sprawling and personal, your soundtrack eclectic and coherent, then "Django Unchained" will become, perhaps, not only one of your favorite Tarantino films, but one of your favorite films, period.

"Django" is Quentin Tarantino in true form, at his best, and while it's a very long film, you will never once feel bored. Hilarious, enlightening, shocking, frightening, saddening, ambitious and greatly, greatly enjoyable, "Django" is hands-down one of the best films I've ever seen.
  67. Jan 31, 2013
    This film is simply epic, the directing is extraordinary the acting is brilliant and the script plays up to the actors perfectly. So far this film is number 1 on my list for 2013, all i can say is you shouldn't miss it!
  68. Jan 30, 2013
    Another great Tarantino movie. Christoph Waltz is as amazing as "Basterds" and even Jamie Foxx is likeable. The storyline is creative, brutal, and effective. Full of shocks and hilarious gratuitous violence, Django is a film to be seen.
  69. Jan 30, 2013
    This is not "Pulp Fiction" nor "Inglorious Basterds", but it is as insanely entertaining as you expect. Great performances, crisp and funny dialogue, violent shootouts, cool music, very good camera and cinematography. A spagetti western revenge epic with a modern look. It's the full Tarantino package, so enjoy!
  70. Jan 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view.
  71. Jan 28, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.
  72. Jan 28, 2013
    Fun film. Tarantino does well with this one. I swear you will hear the (N) word more times than leaving a rap cd on repeat. I think maybe that was the point... it loses its shock value after about the 400th time. Enjoyable and worth a watch.
  73. Jan 28, 2013
    You have to be able to watch the whole movie in order to really understand what is going on. I missed the first ten minutes and was confused and had to be caught up. It may be offensive to some who especially don't like profanity. It is also extremely long and I only recommend if you have the time to take to really put together the characters and plots.
  74. Jan 28, 2013
    Django Unchained has it all. I would describe as half action-adventure, half comedy. Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson provide terrific performances as Calvin Candie, a dastardly plantation owner, and Stephen, Calvin's deceivingly smart servant. Foxx was pretty good, although his performance tailed off in the second part of the movie.

The only negative thing about the film I can

The only negative thing about the film I can think of is some unexplained scenes. The movie initially had a runtime of 6 hours, so instead of making 2 films like Kill Bill, Tarantino shoehorned all of the content into a single film. There are some distinct characters and dialogue appertaining to them and it would have been nice to have seen some of Django's back-story. To sum everything up, Django is a completely unique experience, a welcome change from the generic action films Hollywood seems to belch out every month.
  75. Jan 27, 2013
    Django Unchained was a little bit disappointing and that occurs because we do not see the same dynamic of others movies of Tarantino. The film starts with the typical irony and disguise cruelty of Dr. Schultz a dentist bounty hunter who makes a pact with Django, and they start looking for vengeance. As the story develops we see that the doctor does whatever he wants in order to accomplishDjango Unchained was a little bit disappointing and that occurs because we do not see the same dynamic of others movies of Tarantino. The film starts with the typical irony and disguise cruelty of Dr. Schultz a dentist bounty hunter who makes a pact with Django, and they start looking for vengeance. As the story develops we see that the doctor does whatever he wants in order to accomplish his missions, with the help of the protagonist, who suddenly is an expert with guns. Then they get to Candie land and at dinner the movie becomes simply foolish rubbish. In this point starts a pointless vengeance, with lots of gun shots that miraculously cannot harm Django. Then the plot becomes senseless, the protagonist goes almost to everyplace and kills everybody. Besides that are other things in this picture that went wrong, like the character of Django, who is a complete failure as protagonist, is not clever at all, without possibility of comparing him to Vincent, Jules, Beatrix or even Shosanna. Also the film does not have an intelligent dialogue like the bible passage of Pulp Fiction, the superman monologue of Kill Bill or the rats metaphor of Inglourious Basterds. Although the minimalism of Tarantino remains in the story, it is poorly developed. However the timeless and fragmented reality does not exists, and a clear example is that the story is not told with chapters. The only astonishing performance is Christoph Waltz. The script is awesome only in the first part and the final third is an insult to what this director represents. Tarantino definitely is in debt. Expand
  76. Jan 27, 2013
    What a great spectacle. This is what going to the movies should feel like. I already loved Inglorious Bastards but this one is even better because it is a little bit more focused. It is not a perfect film because 3 hours are a little too much. With 20 minutes less it would be perfect. But damn I so enjoyed it and the rest of the theatre seemed to enjoy it too. Jokes, amazing scenes,What a great spectacle. This is what going to the movies should feel like. I already loved Inglorious Bastards but this one is even better because it is a little bit more focused. It is not a perfect film because 3 hours are a little too much. With 20 minutes less it would be perfect. But damn I so enjoyed it and the rest of the theatre seemed to enjoy it too. Jokes, amazing scenes, Tarantino´s typical take on things and especially... the performances WoW Everybody is perfect: Jamie Fox, Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson are so great... but the biggest thing is Leonardo Dicaprio. What a great and different role and villain for him. He´s perfection in here and steals the show: so creepy, funny and effeminate. It´s superb. Nobody would regret seeing this film, a great roller coaster. Expand
  77. Jan 27, 2013
    Great movie, great story, great characters. Once again Tarantino made it!! The script is amazing, the dialoges are very clever as always in his movies!!I will see it again and again!! Nice work Quentin!!
  78. Jan 27, 2013
    This was a hell of a roller coaster ride. Not only because of the high amount of gun action (with a little hand to hand combat too), but also because there happens so much in the story. The one joke after the other and very strong characters with not to mention jamie foxx as a freed slave who seeks his revenge. DiCaprio for the first time as a bad guy wasn't really his cup of teaThis was a hell of a roller coaster ride. Not only because of the high amount of gun action (with a little hand to hand combat too), but also because there happens so much in the story. The one joke after the other and very strong characters with not to mention jamie foxx as a freed slave who seeks his revenge. DiCaprio for the first time as a bad guy wasn't really his cup of tea unfortunately. Overall it is a great movie, you get what you pay for, a very long movie with no boring moment at all, moreover with a lot of humor. The only bad thing why I give this a 9 and no 10 is because the conversations are sometimes a little bit tedious, only because they are supposed to explain the story with no other direct purpose regarding to the development of the characters. All in all an entertaining movie with Tarantino playing a supporting role as icing on the cake. He's not that good at acting, but it was fun to see him acting in the first place :) Expand
  79. Jan 26, 2013
    This movie was awsome, i really liked it and i belive he is a true master. The cast was amazing and all of them created a movie that i was waiting to see for 6 months, definite must see
  80. Jan 26, 2013
    Emotional,stylistically daring and strangely humorous, Django Unchained is another bloody masterpiece of Tarantino's. His unique ability to write a perfect screenplay has once again come to expression with every aspect of the film, and mainly with the exceptional dialogues between the exceptional characters. Christoph Waltz's performance is staggering just like the one in IngloriousEmotional,stylistically daring and strangely humorous, Django Unchained is another bloody masterpiece of Tarantino's. His unique ability to write a perfect screenplay has once again come to expression with every aspect of the film, and mainly with the exceptional dialogues between the exceptional characters. Christoph Waltz's performance is staggering just like the one in Inglorious Bastards. He manages to play the role of such a deep character with rather terrific talent and ability. Another great aspect of the film,sometimes underrated and neglected, is the exceptional choice of music. ( Freedom, i got a name etc.) Expand
  81. Jan 26, 2013
    Great characters played by great actors. Waltz deserves an OSCAR for this role for sure. Amazing story. Memorable scenes and dialogues - Tarantino's style. Awesome operator's work. Could be the best movie in 2013.

P.S. Samuel L. Lewis has both funny and disgusting role here.
  82. Jan 26, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie, but the convoluted scheme and plot really didn't make a lot of sense. It was also horribly predictable but a fun action flick none the less with good acting and cinematography.
  83. Jan 26, 2013
As with all of his directorial endeavours, Tarantino fittingly adopted a shackles are off, anything goes mentality. This mentality in the case of Django Unchained effectively translated on-screen to a gripping, extravagant, bloodthirsty, perfectly paced, often-humourous escapade with aDjango Unchained is quintessential Quentin and it delivers in a way only Tarantino can deliver.
As with all of his directorial endeavours, Tarantino fittingly adopted a shackles are off, anything goes mentality. This mentality in the case of Django Unchained effectively translated on-screen to a gripping, extravagant, bloodthirsty, perfectly paced, often-humourous escapade with a serious political undercurrent that is thoroughly enjoyable. It is most definitely history altering, indulgent, audacious and continually outrageous, but it does make for spectacular viewing.

Django Unchained is a Spaghetti Western genre mash-up written and directed by Quentin Tarantino set in America
  84. Jan 25, 2013
    A balls-out, overly-long, overly-violent, rollicking good time. Sheer entertainment. I didn't know so much blood could exist in a movie... I sure know now.
  85. Jan 25, 2013
    It's ridiculously bloody, lacks of sensibility and courage to boldly tell a story without his Tarantino's style. Would Tarantino dare to make a film without bloody deaths and sinful torture. It's a torture itself the film. Are we supposed to be entertained or disgusted, nauseated and bored.
  86. Jan 25, 2013
    Django Unchained is all about Quentin Tarantino celebrating how cool he is. It has everything you expect from him: cheesy gore, dialogue self-aware of its stupidity, memorable characters and excellent performances. Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz are incredible and make you laugh all the time. Unfortunately it's not the case for Jamie Foxx, who lacks charisma andDjango Unchained is all about Quentin Tarantino celebrating how cool he is. It has everything you expect from him: cheesy gore, dialogue self-aware of its stupidity, memorable characters and excellent performances. Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz are incredible and make you laugh all the time. Unfortunately it's not the case for Jamie Foxx, who lacks charisma and doesn't create a solid character like his scene-stealing co-stars. Of course, Tarantino's self-indulgence gets in the way and the movie ends up being 30 minutes too long. But in the end, Django Unchained is a very enjoyable ride. Just not Tarantino's best. Expand
  87. Jan 24, 2013
    Tarantino did it again. Django Unchained is the best of his newer movies (Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds) It's violent, funny, doesn't stand on ceremony with the theme of slavery and is accompanied by an outstandingly awesome soundtrack. The dialogues are the main and the best part of the movie, as usual, the characters are well-written well-acted (DiCaprio has just provenTarantino did it again. Django Unchained is the best of his newer movies (Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds) It's violent, funny, doesn't stand on ceremony with the theme of slavery and is accompanied by an outstandingly awesome soundtrack. The dialogues are the main and the best part of the movie, as usual, the characters are well-written well-acted (DiCaprio has just proven that he can be a great antagonist), and the action is gory and awesome. Despite being 165-minute-long, the film keeps you hooked all the way. To summarize - it's Tarantino at his finest. Go watch this. Expand
  88. Jan 24, 2013
    Storyline: Django is a slave with a serious score to settle and is taught to kill and hunt bounty by Dr Schultz. A very stylish, violent revenge flick by Quentin Tarantino who has chosen to go with his usual quirky retro feel with this spaghetti western. It works well.

Acting: Jamie Fox was brilliant as Django (The D is silent!) Freeman and hits us with some classic one liners. I have to say Leonardo DiCaprio was on form as the slimy slave fighter Calvin Candie. This performance should get some award recognition. The tension is between Django and Candie is palpable and to me, when they are on screen together make for gripping viewing.

Direction: Quentin Tarantino is in a class of his own when it comes to this type of film even when he puts himself in his own movies. WTF Quentin? Australian? Please stop the acting.

Production: $100 Million to look as if it's a golden oldie? I have mixed feeling about this but it did the job I suppose. He did succeed in getting the look of old classics like "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". The killings are in a class of there own, realistic and very, very messy.

Conclusion: Tarantino has given us a hyper violent, very funny at times western. Highly Recommended.

Score: 8/10
  89. Jan 24, 2013
    Whatever jeer or derogatory comment you want to throw Tarantino's way theres something you can never say about him..and thats that he is not very creative. The guy oozes film from his pores and always tries to break the mould when revising his chosen genre. With Django Unchained he deconstructs the Western and produces some of hi best work yet - just a shame about the not so bright runningWhatever jeer or derogatory comment you want to throw Tarantino's way theres something you can never say about him..and thats that he is not very creative. The guy oozes film from his pores and always tries to break the mould when revising his chosen genre. With Django Unchained he deconstructs the Western and produces some of hi best work yet - just a shame about the not so bright running time.
    concerns a former slave named Django (Jamie Foxx). He is freed by bounty hunter Dr. King Shultz (Christoph Waltz) in order to help him with a bounty. Quite quickly, Shultz takes Django under his wing and trains him as his partner. But he made him a promise: that he would rescue his wife from a plantation owned by the ruthless Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). And rescuing her is not going to be all that easy.
    Jamie Foxx lends a tortured badassery to the title role, while everyone from the supporting cast to Don Johnson is noteworthy. DiCaprio gives a deliciously dissected performance (it's worth seeing, believe me). And Samuel L. Jackson plays a character of such despicability that it's nothing less than shocking. But it's Christoph Waltz who makes this movie, for me. The guy is exceptional. His wonderfully dark humor and playful delivery just made him a sheer pleasure to watch.
    So Django is a brilliant, eclectic, satirical distorted western but there is one major flaw. That flaw being the final half hour, it does not know when to end and this has a very narcissistic vibe to it saved only by the story elements piecing together. It thankfully doesn't quite ransack what is Quentins deliriously best work since Kill Bill part 1.
  90. Jan 24, 2013
    Django Unchained is Quentin Taratino's bloody and unforgettable spaghetti western that masterfully executes its story and gives us one of the best films of the past few years. Taratino is without a doubt one of the greatest directors of our time, he has proven that several times with films like Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, and all his films are some of the main reasons that IDjango Unchained is Quentin Taratino's bloody and unforgettable spaghetti western that masterfully executes its story and gives us one of the best films of the past few years. Taratino is without a doubt one of the greatest directors of our time, he has proven that several times with films like Pulp Fiction and Inglourious Basterds, and all his films are some of the main reasons that I have now a great love and appreciation for cinema. He has a certain style and brilliant writing abilities that have made his movies some of the most respected and loved films ever made, and have shown me a different and original style that we never see. This movie brings out a new genre from Taratino and he uses it like a master, making it into a raw and surprisingly original film that any true fan of his will love, and even people not familiar with his work will love. I don't think I have seen a movie as bloody and gritty as this one in a very long time, I mean I have seen some bloody films but at the top of my head this one takes the prize. This film is both a mixture of an entertaining action flick, a slavery drama, and a western comedy. It could also be called a mix of Blazing Saddles and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Some people may see this as a simple action film that really didn't have a point to it, but in my eyes, its Taratino's way of getting the vengeance for all people who were ever a slave or abused by white people. You are going to never view slavery the same way as you did before you saw this movie, and that is a great achievement. This is not an inspirational or life changing film, but it's a film about redemption and that is what Taratino shows in all his films and is what makes this one of the best films I have seen all year. The incredible performances from the cast only add to the greatness of the film, and these are performances you will remember for a long time. I love westerns, I love Quentin Taratino, and I loved this movie and it will likely be remembered as a masterpiece and one of the best films of the decade. Expand
  91. Jan 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me the best film in the past few years. Not perfect but nearly perfect. The effects are nice and it have a great unsual storyline about slaves. I like that. In the core story its just about love, thats ok. But in the last 5 years i dont see any film about this theme.

The last 10-15min were the most dissapointing for me. Effects were just bad especially when "Tracker Peg" died. You could really see that she gets pulled away. And for the movie was a bit too long. At the end it was quiet hard to watch it. Overall a damn nice movie.
  92. Jan 23, 2013
    Brilliant, funny and violent spaghetti western from Tarantino. Christopher waltz is the shining star of this film, with an amazingly comical performance as Dr. King. Shultz. Same can be said for Samuel Jackson as Steven, utterly brilliantly written character and Jackson responded with a perfect and slightly haunting performance. The only downside to this film was the length, there areBrilliant, funny and violent spaghetti western from Tarantino. Christopher waltz is the shining star of this film, with an amazingly comical performance as Dr. King. Shultz. Same can be said for Samuel Jackson as Steven, utterly brilliantly written character and Jackson responded with a perfect and slightly haunting performance. The only downside to this film was the length, there are some scenes which don't need to be there and it felt like it dragged a bit. With that said, Django Unchained in one of the best Tarantino films so far, undeniably entertaining. Expand
  93. Jan 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quentin Tarantino once more provokes discussions and sensation with his pretentious, violence-glorifying work. Besides the usual intensity of brutality visualized in Tarantino's movies, slavery is almost ludicrously staged in Django Unchained. As overambitious slave owner, Leonardo DiCaprio shows how acting may outwit our perception by presenting himself as Francophile plantation owner who does not even have command of the French language. Christoph Waltz is not only inconsistent concerning his profession, but also his role. Formerly a dentist, now a bounty hunter, the German Dr. King Schultz roams the Wild West and seems to transcend from the role of the leading lecturer to the sidekick. By introducing Djamie Foxx ("The D is silent") as Django, Tarantino caps it all off. This is only overtrumped by the bizarre coming together with the original Django protagonist Franco Nero. Nevertheless, with a vast amount of action, surprising twists and a sensational cast, Tarantino's homage of 165 minutes does not seem one minute to long and can easily compensate for the exuberantly visualized violence. Expand
  94. Jan 22, 2013
    My first cinema-going in 2013 is dedicating to Tarantino
  95. Jan 22, 2013
    As always with Tarantino the characters are excellent but everything else is average at best. DiCaprio and Waltz steal the show with stellar performances while Jamie Foxx is just...Jamie Foxx (they could have copied & pasted his performance from Miami Vice/Collateral/any film but Ray) and Tarantino surprise, surprise puts in a painful turn as an Australian (?) Slave trader/transporter. TheAs always with Tarantino the characters are excellent but everything else is average at best. DiCaprio and Waltz steal the show with stellar performances while Jamie Foxx is just...Jamie Foxx (they could have copied & pasted his performance from Miami Vice/Collateral/any film but Ray) and Tarantino surprise, surprise puts in a painful turn as an Australian (?) Slave trader/transporter. The film as a slow (at times tedious) first half followed by a fast pace second half filled with comical action set pieces. All in all, its worth a watch for Leo & Christoph but don't expect to have your mind blown. Expand
  96. Jan 21, 2013
    Tarantino's masterpiece, Django Unchained is probably one of the best movies I have ever seen.
    I felt that every kind of detail, even the small ones, were intentional, Tarantino though all the details, and put them in the absolute right place!
  97. Jan 21, 2013
    At one point in Quentin Tarantino´s new film "Django Unchained", the director makes a reference to the ancient Greece. Even the Parthenon is referenced, so we can see that references aren't missing in Tarantino´s latest film (The movie is filled with them). In the middle of all these references are lots of fun and heavy violence. This is one of Quentin´s funniest films,At one point in Quentin Tarantino´s new film "Django Unchained", the director makes a reference to the ancient Greece. Even the Parthenon is referenced, so we can see that references aren't missing in Tarantino´s latest film (The movie is filled with them). In the middle of all these references are lots of fun and heavy violence. This is one of Quentin´s funniest films, the humor is so smart and critical and most importantly so entertaining (The KKK scene is hilarious). The violent scenes are very flamboyant and stylized (as in any other Tarantino film) and so much fun. Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz deliver fantastic performances, as you would expect, but even the actors who you wouldn't expect to be great, are, like Don Johnson as Big Daddy. The dialogues are amazing, they´re fast, smart and funny. Django Unchained is definitely a must-see! Expand
  98. Jan 21, 2013
    Let me just start off with saying, after reading many of the negative reviews of this film, I have no idea where people are getting the notion that this is a Western and there was no slavery in the west. The film even says the settings in which the parts take place. Sigh. This was a great movie. It WAS historically accurate, for the most part, and I don't believe they said, **** too much.Let me just start off with saying, after reading many of the negative reviews of this film, I have no idea where people are getting the notion that this is a Western and there was no slavery in the west. The film even says the settings in which the parts take place. Sigh. This was a great movie. It WAS historically accurate, for the most part, and I don't believe they said, **** too much.
    Also, some are saying how it is too bloody. Yes, it is indeed bloody, but what do you expect to come out of humans? Candy? Also, it's Quentin Tarantino (have you seen Kill Bill?). And during a certain shootout when the dead bodies get shot and blood comes out, I find that it is more believable. I mean, if you're in a large scale shootout, how are bodies not going to get shot?
    People are also saying you need to like Tarantino to enjoy this movie. To them, I say, "Wrong!". I greatly enjoyed this film. The only Tarantino film I've seen is Kill Bill, and I thought that movie was okay. Granted, I saw it about seven years ago.
    Concerning the jokes, I felt they were a good way to lighten the darker mood of the film. Many people did not like many jokes and believe them to be stupid, but name one movie in which every human enjoyed every joke.
    All in all, Django: Unchained is a great film.
    And to those complaining about the use of **** you CANNOT make a truly good film concerning slavery without using racial slurs.
  99. Jan 21, 2013
    Tarantino has mastered another category of movie genre: the western. "Django Unchained" joins "The Wild Bunch" and "Unforgiven" as one of the most brilliantly executed homages to the classic western film. The script is big with the western landscape, while managing to be focused and subtle when capturing human emotion. The acting is excellent across all characters, with Jamie FoxxTarantino has mastered another category of movie genre: the western. "Django Unchained" joins "The Wild Bunch" and "Unforgiven" as one of the most brilliantly executed homages to the classic western film. The script is big with the western landscape, while managing to be focused and subtle when capturing human emotion. The acting is excellent across all characters, with Jamie Foxx delivering a powerful, nuanced performance as Django. I was surprised with how entertaining the film was throughout the lengthy running time. Expand
  100. Jan 21, 2013
    This was a great movie. It didn't really have me caring too much at the beginning, but as soon as they ran into Leonardo DiCaprio the movie soared. Lots of exciting action and kick-ass music. Great performances, too. Can't believe DiCaprio got snubbed for Best Supporting Actor. Waltz was good, but DiCaprio was better.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Jan 15, 2013
    Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it's not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, "Inglourious Basterds."
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 8, 2013
    What Tarantino has is an appreciation for gut-level exploitation film appeal, combined with an artist's desire to transform that gut element with something higher, better, more daring. His films challenge taboos in our society in the most direct possible way, and at the same time add an element of parody or satire.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Jan 3, 2013
    The film doesn't play it safe, so neither will I. Instead, I'll say that it finds Mr. Tarantino perched improbably but securely on the top of a production that's wildly extravagant, ferociously violent, ludicrously lurid and outrageously entertaining, yet also, remarkably, very much about the pernicious lunacy of racism and, yes, slavery's singular horrors.