Donnie Darko

7.6

1. Jan 5, 2012
    A well done twisted thriller that does unit it's story in the end but that is not saying it entirely suceeds. The end did not cheat nor did it ruin the great experience to that point.
  2. j30
    Feb 19, 2012
    Even though Donnie Darko is a messy movie, you don't walk away disappointed. You think about what you just watched and what it meant. The Directors Cut kind of ties some loose ends and makes it even more thought-provoking.
  3. Sep 20, 2012
    I thought this movie was a masterpiece. I loved every minute of it. I'm definitely going to have to rewatch it. I was slightly disappointed about the ending because I didn't quite "get" it but it didn't negatively impact it for me. I know some endings can ruin entire movies/video games. I loved Frank. I don't have much to complain about so I think a 10 is in order here. Why this movieI thought this movie was a masterpiece. I loved every minute of it. I'm definitely going to have to rewatch it. I was slightly disappointed about the ending because I didn't quite "get" it but it didn't negatively impact it for me. I know some endings can ruin entire movies/video games. I loved Frank. I don't have much to complain about so I think a 10 is in order here. Why this movie isn't a financial success is beyond me. I think this movie needs a rerelease to theaters with some advertising. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2012
    All I can say is: I was mindf***ed. Great acting, creepy atmosphere, and incredible twists. It all culminates in such a terrific climax that my mind reeled. If you appreciate movies, see Donnie Darko.
  5. Jun 27, 2012
    A film that intrigues you start going forward and that surprises you. The creator of this film was truly a genius!
  6. Dec 28, 2011
    Donnie Darko is one of the most surreal, complex and mind bending films I've ever seen, it has so many layers that it deserves repeat viewings. It is full of symbolism and smart dialogue.The soundtrack is fantastic and adheres perfectly with the tone and mood of the film. Definitely one of my favorite films of all time because it really makes you think about what is going on and where theDonnie Darko is one of the most surreal, complex and mind bending films I've ever seen, it has so many layers that it deserves repeat viewings. It is full of symbolism and smart dialogue.The soundtrack is fantastic and adheres perfectly with the tone and mood of the film. Definitely one of my favorite films of all time because it really makes you think about what is going on and where the movie is headed. I wish more movies like this were made. I still dont fully understand some parts of the film so you can probably have a good discussion of the film if you watch it with a friend. Stop reading this and go see it now! Expand
  7. Jun 20, 2012
    Donnie Darko Is not a straight forward film, it is very complex, which makes it hard to stay focused as it may get boring. It is a smart and interesting and not to mention trippy.
  8. Dec 27, 2012
    'Donnie Darko' is an indisputable masterpiece, a film that manages to victoriously establish an intricate mythological universe in less than two and a half hours. It expounds an eerie, mystical atmosphere that inculcate fear and evoke philosophical contemplation in audiences, proving its incredible intellectual nature. Jake Gyllenhaal delivers one of his best performances, driving the'Donnie Darko' is an indisputable masterpiece, a film that manages to victoriously establish an intricate mythological universe in less than two and a half hours. It expounds an eerie, mystical atmosphere that inculcate fear and evoke philosophical contemplation in audiences, proving its incredible intellectual nature. Jake Gyllenhaal delivers one of his best performances, driving the emotional depth, reinforcing the grim and morose tone to the film. Deep concepts that are quite often, incomprehensible (without repeat viewings) coupled with astonishing plot twists and an incredulously jaw-dropping climax result in the most commemorated indie cult film, and one of the finest films of our time. Expand
  9. Oct 29, 2013
    A little mix of everything, but really, at the end of the day, this is a stone cold psychological thriller that enjoys messing with your mind. It's engrossing, terrifying, and will leave you wondering what the heck you judge watched; everything a psychological thriller should be. Jake Gyllenhaal shines in the lead role and all of the other actors also do marvelous jobs.
  10. Jul 5, 2014
    Maybe not the greatest mind **** ive ever seen but the film truly is unique and stands out from all over blockbuster titles, with a very original premise to time-travel that feels so real and different compared to other sc-fi flicks. I absolutely enjoyed every moment of Donnie Darko every performance was spot on, absolutely stunning film.
  11. Aug 29, 2012
    Few films have demanded such attention from an audiences as Richard Kelly's stunningly troubled debut which follows a young man attempt to deal with his life and oddities in the midst of falling in love and the debt of a mysterious Bunny known only as Frank. A film which demands so much from its audience, but provides with such captivating weirdness and a beautiful premise involving aFew films have demanded such attention from an audiences as Richard Kelly's stunningly troubled debut which follows a young man attempt to deal with his life and oddities in the midst of falling in love and the debt of a mysterious Bunny known only as Frank. A film which demands so much from its audience, but provides with such captivating weirdness and a beautiful premise involving a hauntingly spellbinding use of mad world is well worth the watch. Expand
  12. Sep 10, 2013
    Pretty weird movie if you ask me, but catchy. It is a mix of teenager-school-everyday_life-movie and psychological science fiction about time travel. Worth watching of course, the actors are nice, especially Jake Gyllenhaal as Donny Darko. The story is really interesting and pretty mysterious in the beginning and you get to know what is really happening only in the end (if you want to findPretty weird movie if you ask me, but catchy. It is a mix of teenager-school-everyday_life-movie and psychological science fiction about time travel. Worth watching of course, the actors are nice, especially Jake Gyllenhaal as Donny Darko. The story is really interesting and pretty mysterious in the beginning and you get to know what is really happening only in the end (if you want to find the real meaning watch the director's version, it contains some necessary scenes). Some people are disappointed with the lack of action and slow story progression, but I was consumed by the atmosphere for the very beginning to end. Expand
  13. Nov 12, 2012
    It requires and demands multiple viewings. That; however, is not a problem, considering it's compulsively watchable, and you'll catch on to new ideas every time you watch.
  14. Jul 16, 2014
    Donnie Darko can't really really be summarised, it's too unique. However, it is possible to list all of the things it achieves in it's 2 hour run time. It's funny without losing it's grim tone, it's a physiological thriller that blends themes of time travel and isolation into a coherent plot, and it is an drama so well portrayed that even the most illogical components of this tale areDonnie Darko can't really really be summarised, it's too unique. However, it is possible to list all of the things it achieves in it's 2 hour run time. It's funny without losing it's grim tone, it's a physiological thriller that blends themes of time travel and isolation into a coherent plot, and it is an drama so well portrayed that even the most illogical components of this tale are believable in its world.
    The main character, Donnie, is a teenager with schizophrenia who is met by a human wearing a demonic-rabbit Halloween costume. This rabbit tells him that the world is too end in 28 days, due to a part of the world that Donnie was closest to collapsing. Donnie is the only one that can save the universe, as he was the primary receiver to the event that is threatening to destroy the universe. I won't say what the event is as it would partially ruin its unravelling throughout the film. This sets up what is to be a fascinatingly complex thriller.
    Donnie's character is an mysterious oddity for much of the film, yet he still manages to be sympathetic enough for you to side with him in this mind bending story. 'Darko' deals with very advanced subject matter without being up its own arse, as well as dealing with ideas of remoteness and even young love without becoming preachy.
    It will leave you saddened yet satisfied, as the ending is so well wrapped up. Everything about this film is wonderful. This may sound cliché, but it remains a must see, even 13 years on from its release.
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    A mixture of horror, drama, psychological thriller, comedy,and brief action make this a must see movie especially with movie stars that are randomly famous appearing here and there.
    A+
  16. Nov 14, 2012
    Really crazy, deep, moving movie. I've only seen it once, but I really want to see it again. I know there's more to it that I probably missed the first time around.
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    An excellent story, rich with (forgive me) dark and provocative themes and a great performance from Jake Gyllenhaal.
  18. Jan 5, 2013
    That the film includes elements of science fiction, horror, and dry, dark comedy makes it not only eminently fun, but also somewhat disturbing to watch, for this is much the way high school tends to loom in individual memory, no matter the collective obfuscations. Cleverly metaphorical and sometimes frighteningly literal, Donnie Darko connects memory with the local and broader culturesThat the film includes elements of science fiction, horror, and dry, dark comedy makes it not only eminently fun, but also somewhat disturbing to watch, for this is much the way high school tends to loom in individual memory, no matter the collective obfuscations. Cleverly metaphorical and sometimes frighteningly literal, Donnie Darko connects memory with the local and broader cultures that shape it, and never lets you forget that recollection is a process of questions and permutations, not a fixed and absolute answer. Expand
  19. Mar 11, 2013
    Donnie Darko will play with your head, which just makes this amazingly written movie even better. Gyllenhaal provides a stunning performance and Kelly gives an extremely interesting direction in this thriller-horror-drama-and even teen film.
  20. Mar 9, 2014
    An intoxicating, engrossing, creepy, and ultimately tragic film. I felt close to the characters and cared about their dilemmas, especially Donnie's. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is Oscar worthy, and it is the rock in which this disturbing mind bender is built upon. The movie enthralled me, gripped my attention, and spat me out into a mangled but hypnotized mess. I did have a fewAn intoxicating, engrossing, creepy, and ultimately tragic film. I felt close to the characters and cared about their dilemmas, especially Donnie's. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance is Oscar worthy, and it is the rock in which this disturbing mind bender is built upon. The movie enthralled me, gripped my attention, and spat me out into a mangled but hypnotized mess. I did have a few problems with it though. The time travel elements aren't explained very well, which leads to some occasional headache inducing confusion. I also found that the ending, like Roger Ebert said, lacked closure. For the most part though, this is a chilling and emotionally affecting debut that you won't be able to get out of your head for a very long time. Going to have to see the director's cut at some point. Expand
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    Great psychological thriller movie with an intelligent blend of sci-fi and drama elements. This movie is full of complex and inspirational quotes that will may influence you into thinking the meaning behind this world.
  22. Jun 25, 2013
    One of my favorite movies ever, if nothing else for the fact that it gets better each time you watch it. Its a little more mindblowing each time. It's also very funny in a very smart way. The cast is INCREDIBLE, as is the soundtrack. My one warning would be to expect to come out of watching this being afraid of rabbits, motivational speakers, and airplanes.
  23. Jul 11, 2013
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    Don’t get me wrong. Donnie Darko is a wonderful film, full of suspense, motion, and a constantly intriguing, if not unsettling mood. However, it’s plagued with two problems: it’s too ambitious, and it never stops to give the audience time to collect its thoughts.
    Firstly, the ambition. It appears that director
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    Firstly, the ambition. It appears that director Richard Kelly had a lot on his mind for this story. Filmmaking is an art that cthat cthat cannot be done without vast imagination and a spinning mind. Unfortunately, Kelly’s ambition got the best of him. The result is an overly-thrilling roller coaster ride that simultaneously intrigues and disorients its riders. Even the “resolution” at the end with Frank the rabbit (a character I personally like) and the storm of the tangent universe couldn’t clean up the mess that was Donnie Darko’s plotline.
    A bigger problem with the film was its rushing speed. There was never one moment where Donnie stopped to explain to the audience what exactly was going on (one of his therapy sessions could have done this seamlessly). Instead, we are given sporadic (and untimely) ten-second excerpts from a woman’s philosophical discoveries in time travel. Again, this results in a disorienting roller coaster ride that would be a lot more fun if Kelly had taken a moment to decelerate and catch the audience up on the twisting plotline.
    In conclusion, this is what I have to say: the film had a very interesting premise, a fascinatingly somber ambiance, and some wildly good moments of suspense and filmmaking genius (most of which involved Frank and/or sleepwalking). Sadly, its ultimate potential was not met, and what could have been one of the best films of the year turned out instead to be a flurry of ambitious ideas riddled with sci-fi fancies and schizophrenic attacks.

FINAL SCORE: 65 (a neat watch ----------o---------- pretty good)
  24. Sep 13, 2013
    A movie in which I would say I respect more than enjoy. The underlying themes and plot devices will give you a joyous moment of realization once discovered. All the performances are very strong, especially from Jake Gyllenhaal. Blends genres masterfully, and boasts some brilliant cinematography. Overall, this film is proof that movies are capable of being art.
  25. Jan 25, 2014
    Possibly one of the greatest movies ever made, so deep, so significant, so meaningful and profound... I will not say anything more except that if you love movies with a meaning and depth that at the same time are convoluted twisted and need interpretation to comprehend you'll love this one. Especially as a teenager or a young adult.
  26. Sep 25, 2013
    This is a very intriguing movie. There's a lot of mystery to it; the kind of movie the viewer really needs to think about which I really like. If you want a different and interesting movie this is worth a watch.
  27. Oct 19, 2013
    One of my favorite movies ever, if nothing else for the fact that it gets better each time you watch it. Its a little more mindblowing each time. It's also very funny in a very smart way. The soundtrack is incredible and in my opinion this movie is a masterpiece.
  28. Jan 2, 2014
    A great movie, but not as good as the Directors Cut which helps explain the plot more, aside that, if you can understand, it's one of the best movies to date.
  29. Aug 26, 2014
    Donnie Darko is an ambitious film, and it knows what it wants from the viewer, your attention to detail and a re - watch, because one viewing of the movie is not enough to understand it.
  30. Aug 21, 2014
    Multiverse theory, time travel, and metaphysics? I'm sold!

As a physics major, these concepts are of great excitement to me, and this movie delivers on that. An incredibly intricate plot that excels at warping your mind and makes you consider the possibilities and implications of time travel. I won't go into the details of what the movie presents, but I assure you that this movie
    Multiverse theory, time travel, and metaphysics? I'm sold!

I won't go into the details of what the movie presents, but I assure you that this movie will likely blow your mind.

The direction and production of this master-work are pretty much flawless. As are the performances of the ensemble cast.

Put simply, this movie is one of my personal favorites of all-time, and is in my opinion a true classic.
  31. Oct 6, 2015
    ...don't see really why seth rogan was in there...i totally believed swazy belonged in there however......i guess the only thing i like is that donnie darko died and everyone realized that they were phony .....i have no understanding as to how donnie got back into his bed after fleeing from the town....is it that there were two of him at the end? also donnie never was able to send the jet...don't see really why seth rogan was in there...i totally believed swazy belonged in there however......i guess the only thing i like is that donnie darko died and everyone realized that they were phony .....i have no understanding as to how donnie got back into his bed after fleeing from the town....is it that there were two of him at the end? also donnie never was able to send the jet engine through a portal...if the next movie sucks worse than this i wont know what to do .... i need answers dont just get another hot chick to shove down our throats....i actually want all of this to be real and not just fake and about girls...i wonder the surreal reason as to how seth rogan was the one who technically killed the girl and then he says the word seth.......as a connection wizard I should already have this figured out.....the movie did however come along way from fuk as .....given it ends at the start Expand
  32. Aug 14, 2015
    Let me be perfectly honest by saying that Donnie Darko is my all-time favorite film. I don't know exactly why but for some phenomenally inexplicable reason, I favored this film above all the others I've seen in my lifetime. The plot was bizarre and entrallingly engrossing. The production values just perfect enough to deliver the flawless amount of believabilty among all else. The actorsLet me be perfectly honest by saying that Donnie Darko is my all-time favorite film. I don't know exactly why but for some phenomenally inexplicable reason, I favored this film above all the others I've seen in my lifetime. The plot was bizarre and entrallingly engrossing. The production values just perfect enough to deliver the flawless amount of believabilty among all else. The actors were fantastic, especially Jake Gylennhaal in one of his breakout roles and arguably his stongest film role to this day. The character Frank was surreal and foreboding yet somewhat comic in a enjoyable way. The music was eerie yet strangely calming. The scene in the movie theater was really intriguing and mysterious. The first time I watched this the ending didn't stick with me, but literally everytime afterward it did. The film has garnered a massive cult following and a well deserved one as far as I'm concerned. Many people will disagree with me but I believe that this film is the absolute best in every regard. Final Score 100/100 Expand
  33. Feb 27, 2016
    I apologize, mechanical translation. "The most" difficult "students are entitled to have the best teachers."

Donnie Darko movie is not "easy", the vision of this film, "cross-thematic, multidisciplinary," offers a range of diverse readings and interpretations. Conversely, everything that is not easy, we can not classify it "difficult, impossible." I think. Mario, for example, has

Mario, for example, has difficulty in drawing a freehand circle; the difficulty present in Mario, can not be present in Dario. Mario, with the exercise, if it wants, can definitely improve his performance.

And if we find ourselves in the presence of psycho-physical impediments, (Donnie Darko, not?) The situation is different, but not by much.
    I will say more, Donnie Darko, paves the way for three different possibilities:
    Spend a nice time in depth.
    With split-the very personal conclusions.
    "Hate him or love him," and forever. Maybe.
    I added love / hate it, these results are evident and obvious feelings, from reading in judgments network via "" contingent of film fans scattered in different countries.

Personally, I think Donnie Darko:
    a "CHANNEL Solidarity";
    a "VIADUCT the report";
    a "HAND Amica."
    a model for future film compositions.
    The sociological / political approach is to treat the less, that is, I'm not going to deepen:
    because Donnie Darko had an initial fiasco.
    whether and how the attack on the World Trade Center of 'September 11, 2001 has come back on the entire film.
     whether and how the word of mouth among cybernauts allowed a "historical revisionism."
    the reasons that gave the film a new "look"; minutes added, music, and so on.
    the idea that the writer / director Richard Kelly of the US company.
    And more.

The film "quota" that catches my interest and not at the expense of the other, God forbid, is that of the relationship between psychiatry / theoretical / physical science fiction.

I try to go into the film trying to proceed with clarity but not at the expense of the plot.

The first thing that made me upset and then, is that related to Donnie medical coding. For example, we talk to him in those terms and with these adjectives: quirky, weird, unusual, mentally calibrated or buggy, crazy, dangerous to the school community and beyond; to say nothing of the clinical diagnosis of ...... (I personally believe that the diagnosis is made surreptitiously).

Sixteen years old, lives with his family in Middlesex - Virginia. He has two sisters, Elizabeth (Maggie Gyllenhal) and Samantha (Daveigh Chase).
    And 'in analysis, it is true. But Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) is pissed soggy because of its apparent and / or obvious abnormalities collides with "the madness of normal" surrounding it. The overture "Carpathian Ridge" gives us a boy in a fetal position, and regains consciousness in the middle of a dirt road. The bike is not far from him. Slowly opens his eyes, looks around, light disorients the morning but does not scare him. Stood up, his gaze goes down on the Rock Canyon. Just a moment's hesitation, takes the bike and go, run down all the way home. This "fade in" Home, is a masterpiece of cinematic art, alone is worth the ticket price, it makes us understand very well who is Donnie Darko. If we add that the author of it all is a first-time director, the ticket price doubles. The enigmatic smile of Donnie "Solidarity channel"; forwards there in the difficult path of an annotated synopsis.

I said, Donnie is under analysis for the reasons mentioned above. Attention, all dates that follow, are critical to know him better.
    Night of October 2, 1988. An energetic, penetrating energy from a ...... .. giant named Frank, Donnie urges to leave his room.
    It is reported that the world after ... DAYS ... .hours, ... minutes ... .secondi, will have its natural ....
    The next day Donnie wakes up in a golf course, but the strange thing is that he finds himself on a strange writing arm (_ _: _: _ _: _ _)
    Woke up and recognized by some golfers, Donnie returns home; surprises and surprises do not end. An engine plane crashed from nowhere .......... her ...... is completely destroyed.

2. Donnie demonstrates to people not yet manifested a weak sense of generosity. Remember it well, and this word. GENEROSITY '. "Helping hand."
    He does not like the hypocrites bigoted Puritans.
    His intelligence, often called into question, constantly collides with who teaches and disseminates ideas about life that have nothing to do with the pain inherent in the same. Fleeting happiness.
    3. We meet often with Frank, which will prove to be ....

"Viaduct relationship"

These meetings will take Donnie to create arbitrary behavior considered, controversial, reprehensible.
    So it is?
    Life choices, the resulting suffering, acts of daily life, the pathos of Donnie; everything stems from decisions or induced?
    Because, even if re-considered by friends, he continues to maintain its aura of introverted, taciturn, reserved? 4. October 10, 1988. Donnie queries its physics professor. Topic: Time travel. The wormhole. time and means of transport trips. Roberta Sparrow also called Grandma Death, and its contents - "The Philosophy of Time Travel". Wormholes and time-space paths. Question: We are sure that the so-called "strange village", they have nothing to say to us and offer us? 5. October 18, 1988. A new character enters the scene is Jim Cunningham (Patrick Swayze). Gab, purpose of his seminar is to alienate the children from the fears, defeat them. Drugs, alcohol and adolescent problems are his favorite subjects. But…. Donnie .... It intervenes during the seminar? It will be dismissed or will continue with his contradictory? Who is really Jim Cunningham? What sort Frank Donnie? 6. October 24, 1988. For Donnie another "bad news". The professor of the humanities is fired, but the chalkboard write the word ...... .. Because the teacher says the word ... it is considered by many literary critics one of the most beautiful expressions of the English language? 7. October 29, 1988. It 'a significant moment for Donnie life. Where are the parents Donnie? Why he went to Grandma Death home at midnight? Who is inside the cellar? What happens to Gretchen (Jena Malone) Donnie and Frank of the two ... Last but not the least disturbing question: WHERE IS DONNIE DARKO? psychiatry / theoretical / physical science fiction. One thing is certain, in my opinion, many of the people who are in contact with Donnie, do not pose any kind of question about life and existence. They are pervaded by the "newspaper" and that's enough for them to live a life "happy". When Donnie tries to deepen "with professionals in the know" some issues about the purpose of life or the existence, receives only traces of knowledge. And any kind of pedagogical mediation. And 'her CAPACITY' REFLECTIVE that allows it to: focus your attention on a particular situation; develop ideas that seeks to order; achieve a goal; All this is not possible if you are not in a position to know how to research, investigate and then sort them into logical sequences; seriously consider all that may sound belief; I do not think that Donnie a "psychiatric illness." I mean, for me the "workings of his mind," her cognitive namely: perception, learning, problem solving, memory, attention, language, emotions, has a coefficient very high, far above his peers and hardly perceptible by adults. "The most" difficult "students are entitled to have the best teachers." I believe this maxim EXTRAORDINARY. E 'succeeded despite the ......... of events to transform his suffering, his trouble, in a situation emotionally soothing, quiet, and why not harmonious. Everything fits together perfectly. The neurosciences have a duty to give meaning to the lives of patients, who struggle to see SE themselves projected into a future that has a meaning, not only; and possibly full of hope. 8. In here, I can only mention the text by Roberta Ann Sparrow "The philosophy of the trips in the time." Content: Premise The Tangent Universe Water and Metal The Artifact and the Living The Living Receiver The Manipulated Living The Manipulated Dead dreams appendix More I can not for obvious reasons. 9. "Wormhole" or "of" Einstein-Rosen Bridge ". Which train is faster, that of Theoretical Physics or that of Sci? 1905, Albert Einstein published a study on the compatibility between mechanics and electromagnetism. (Or special theory of relativity); 1915, Albert Einstein published a further work on relativity (theory of general relativity); The space-time or chronotope is a four-dimensional space, that is, 3-dimensional space and time as a coordinated addition. So no more distinction between space and time. The observer has to radically change his way of seeing and thinking (vision and static thought). In different situations and conditions the concept of forward - behind; right left; high Low; changes. The Einstein-Rosen bridge is a short street, a short path, which allows to reach a different universe in less time. Also called wormholes - "worm hole", is also called tunnel space - time; of tarla tunnel or burrow of worm. This "hole" allows you to travel and to exceed the speed of light. Take two small funnels, add them through the spout, place them vertically, and you've got a fantastic and wonderful tunnel space - time. The WORMHOLE. My job ends here. The huge amount of scientific data that can be processed deserve well other professionals. I'm not. I hope to have intrigued the reader and this is enough for me. The insights are dependent variables. Before leaving you carry a maximum beautiful Victor Hugo: Zero, not wanting to go around, naked, she has run vanity dress. Mine is a modest work, a further measured contribution to the many already. Good Ciak!

1. Reviewed by: Chris Gore
    Jun 16, 2011
    This is really one of those Rorschach test films. You either love it or hate it. For those who loved it, I have only one word: overrated.
  2. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    Jun 16, 2011
    The nerviest, oddest, most outlandish and idiosyncratic American indie debut since "Buffalo 66," Richard Kelly's Donnie Darko defies description.
  3. Reviewed by: Jean Oppenheimer
    Jun 16, 2011
    Like gathering storm clouds, Donnie Darko creates an atmosphere of eerie calm and mounting menace -- stands as one of the most exceptional movies of 2001.