7.8

1. Aug 25, 2014
    When a film challenges you to think and question from the very start to the end, you find yourself wholly invested in the theatrical warfare on screen. Superbly brought from the stage to the screen, the film goes where many films fear to. The stirring showcase of actors only adds to the perfection. One of Streep's finest late-career performances.
  2. May 23, 2013
    Based on a play, Doubt unveils its story much like a play; nothing plot wise is expressed in an obvious way and allows the audience to join in interpreting what is happening. This in combination with 3 stunning lead performances make Doubt one of the best films of 2008. Worth a watch.
  3. Jan 5, 2012
    A little controversial but without a doubt an amazing film that left me speechless. Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman give untouchable performances no doubt worthy of the highest of awards. The story was great. The emotional release I got from this film reminded me of The Godfather. Truely an amazing and underrated film.
  4. Nov 22, 2011
    Critics got this film so wrong. Yes it does center around a controversional issue (sexual abuse by priests of the catholic church) but its a fantastic film. Its interesting from start to finish, The main cast is excellent, and it features a satisfying ending. Go watch this film now!
  5. MacD.
    Dec 30, 2008
    A superb cast with the usual breathtaking performance by Meryl Streep. The plot keeps you involved right up to the very end.
    Dec 30, 2008
    2nd favorite after Wall-E this year. The acting is flawless.
  7. KathyS.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Outstanding performances from all, including Viola Davis, who plays the boy's mother. Needless to say, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep are always first-rate, but this time Streep has outdone herself.
  8. DanS.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Amazing movie. Enough said. Wait not enough said actually, one of the most thought provoking movies of all time. This is a movie classic that it is a mystery, drama and suspense rolled into one amazing movie.
  9. ChrisC.
    Jan 2, 2009
    Despite some minor missteps, this movie shines. It's a subtle examination of a complex issue, but also a terrific showcase for three amazing performers.
  10. JayH
    Apr 2, 2009
    Brilliant period detail and feel for the Catholic school experience of the time. The cast is incredible, they are all superb. Well written and directed. Excellent art direction and cinematography. Magnificent character development.
  11. SeanL.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Incredible acting and thought provoking!
  12. DaveF.
    Dec 29, 2008
    Terrific acting by the entire ensemble.
  13. IanG.
    Dec 30, 2008
    It's sad that I've simply become so jaded that I assume who don't delve as obsessively into film as I do can't enjoy a movie like this; fortunately, I was proved wrong. Both of my fellow theater patrons enjoyed 'Doubt' immensely. This is an intense, extremely well-acted and directed drama. It takes serious talent to pack such visceral emotion into a single It's sad that I've simply become so jaded that I assume who don't delve as obsessively into film as I do can't enjoy a movie like this; fortunately, I was proved wrong. Both of my fellow theater patrons enjoyed 'Doubt' immensely. This is an intense, extremely well-acted and directed drama. It takes serious talent to pack such visceral emotion into a single scene without emotionally wringing-out the audience. This is one not to be missed. Expand
  14. PatS
    Dec 19, 2008
    For the most part, DOUBT recaptured the feel of parochial schools in the 1950s-1960s. Streep's character was finely drawn: underneath her bluff and authoritarian exterior is kindness and worldly wisdom. She is strict with the students because she cares that they succeed morally and intellectually. She tries to protect the blind nun and, in my opinion, her motivation in going after For the most part, DOUBT recaptured the feel of parochial schools in the 1950s-1960s. Streep's character was finely drawn: underneath her bluff and authoritarian exterior is kindness and worldly wisdom. She is strict with the students because she cares that they succeed morally and intellectually. She tries to protect the blind nun and, in my opinion, her motivation in going after the priest is not based on a personal power struggle (as some critics have suggested), but out of concern for the young black boy. How much easier it would have been for her to let it go "unnoticed." Having been a principal in a Catholic school where abusive situations were taking place and having sought unsuccessfully for hierarchical involvement in remedying the wrong, I identify strongly with Sr. Aloysius. Her dilemma is so difficult because the evidence is so tenuous. Like her, I've had parents excuse clerical misbehavior. You cannot imagine how lonely it feels to fight for children whose parents won't (whatever the reason). The ambiguity is at the heart of this movie. How do we make a moral choice when the evidence is not conclusive and when any action (of omission or commission) has such horrendous consequences? All of the actors did a wonderful job; Steep, in particular, was superb in not caricaturing the authoritarian nun. What range she has! From Mamma Mia to this! Incredible. Expand
  15. LarryS.
    Dec 31, 2008
    Brilliant film. Outstanding performances by Streep, Seymor-Hoffman and Adams and Great casting. Outstanding writing. A thought provoking film.
  16. Feb 6, 2014
    Watching the first sermon about doubt is without doubt liberating. I have enjoyed every moment of this film. The cast gave an outstanding performance. Top notch.

1. Shanley turns out to have dismayingly few original cinematic notions to back up the basic did-he-or-didn't-he hook in his study of conviction and compassion.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Doubt stirs up a lot of stormy theatrical weather, but the stolid transfer from stage to screen does Shanley's play no favors.
    Streep can do anything. She is, of course, wasted on this elephantine fable; if only Doubt had been made in 1964, shot by Roger Corman over a long weekend, and retitled "Spawn of the Devil Witch" or "Blood Wimple," all would have been forgiven