Duane Hopwood

8.2

1. othos
    Jul 20, 2007
    Just saw this on Showtime. I have never liked Schwimmer and hated Friends. Nevertheless, I have always liked Garofalo, so I watched. I was pleasantly surprised. The film mines the same sort of vein as GARDEN STATE, including being set in N.J. That is to say that not much happens in the film, but the viewer is engaged nonetheless. More than anything, I was struck by how good Garafolo is. Just saw this on Showtime. I have never liked Schwimmer and hated Friends. Nevertheless, I have always liked Garofalo, so I watched. I was pleasantly surprised. The film mines the same sort of vein as GARDEN STATE, including being set in N.J. That is to say that not much happens in the film, but the viewer is engaged nonetheless. More than anything, I was struck by how good Garafolo is. Now that she has hopped off the dead horse that is Air America Radio, on hopes that she will turn her attention to acting once again. Expand
  2. BrianC.
    Apr 28, 2006
    Good piece of acting by David Schwimmer.. portrays downslide of alcoholic without gloss, glamour, or dramatics -- but with doses of humor. Very pleasant nugget of a movie.
  3. CaseyS.
    May 7, 2006
    If you have ever felt like your life is completely crumbling around you this movie will probably strike a chord with you. It is very simple in its camera work, the story arch, but ultimately you do care about Duane. He is deserving of both scorn and pity, by the end of the film I found myself empathizing with him.

1. Thanks to the actors and the way the movie lets them loose, it's often funny or moving at all the right moments.
    Loaded with unoriginal ideas, weak comedic concepts, and underwhelming emotional climaxes, the movie is the definition of bland.
  3. A fairly dreadful melodrama drenched in self-pity.