Universal Pictures | Release Date: March 20, 2009
5.1
Mixed or average reviews based on 114 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleJan 5, 2017
A stylish, yet flawed, romantic crime comedy, Duplicity is a mixed bag. With compelling twists and a great look at corporate espionage, this film from director Tony Gilroy is bogged down by a nonlinear narrative and a lackluster romance. As aA stylish, yet flawed, romantic crime comedy, Duplicity is a mixed bag. With compelling twists and a great look at corporate espionage, this film from director Tony Gilroy is bogged down by a nonlinear narrative and a lackluster romance. As a result, the plot becomes hard to follow when the film jumps from the past to the present to the past constantly and, towards the end, stops helping you figure out where each scene is taking place. Even worse, these flashbacks are always dry, humorless, and chemistry-less when they put together former MI6 agent Ray Koval (Clive Owen) and former CIA agent Claire Stenwick (Julia Roberts). Lovers who work for competing companies, the film details the efforts of both sides to outwit the other and beat them in the marketplace. Of course, that is when the couple are not having sex in an exotic location.

For the positives, as a business major, I loved the corporate espionage. Okay, business is really, really boring. However, this film triggered why I am okay with working in this world. The anticipation of new products, studying the competition, and going to war, are all incredibly compelling to watch unfold. Of course, real life pales in comparison and is largely quite dull. Duplicity, however, manages to make a shareholder meeting completely compelling. With the cure for baldness on the way, who will be the first to the marketplace? Only time will find out, but there are moles and spies on both sides that make the battle between former business partners, portrayed by Tom Wilkinson and Paul Giamatti, the highlight of the film. Honestly, Owen and Roberts should be cut out of this film in favor of the more compelling story. Two former business partners going to war with one another over a breakthrough with corporate espionage and a fractured relationship between them. For those that have seen this film, tell me that is not the more compelling tale? Unfortunately, strewn in between these great sections are a lot of romantic moments between spies that merely further complicate the film. Having them repeat lines, jumping back in time to just show them have sex, showing their distrust, and showing some of their planning, Duplicity struggles to bring life to its romantic moments. While its crime elements are top-notch and slick, the romance is lifeless. Owen and Roberts try, but putting two people that audiences find appealing together and hoping it will work is a bad idea. As a result, the romance here is largely unappealing and passionless. While some moments do add to the final reveal, the film could cut out all of the romance scenes, aside from the few where they plot their own espionage, and lose nothing. As for the comedy here, it largely fails and I had to keep reminding myself that it was supposed to be a comedy. With the romance and comedy elements failing, it leaves just the crime portion as being any good. As mentioned, this crime portion does succeed terrifically with a twisty and unpredictable sequence of events. Here, Wilkinson and Giamatti nail their limited roles and demand to be explored deeper. Clive Owen and Julia Roberts also do quite well in the film, even in the romance scenes. However, they both really soar when being calculating and cold spies. In particular, Owen is great using his charisma and slick nature to woo marks and complete tasks. In addition to the fun corporate espionage, watching this duo do their job is worth the watch and thoroughly entertaining.

Stylistically, the film is pretty compelling. It is hard to describe the technique Tony Gilroy uses when flashing back or jumping forward again. It is not a split screen, rather he takes a shot and begins to slowly shrink the frame. Other shots may appear and one will then grow. It is pretty unique and not too bad to look at. Honestly, I am hard pressed to think of a film off the top of my head with a similar technique and I am not sure what it would be called. That said, I just wish it did not signal my least favorite moments were about to happen again or else I would have really loved the technique.

A messy and flawed romantic crime comedy, Duplicity is not really funny or romantic. However, its crime and spy elements are so good, it allows me to look past its flaws to a degree. With great style and the assured hand of Gilroy, Duplicity may be a bit contrived and cliched, but it remains unpredictable through unforeseen twists that show just how dirty this corporate rivalry has become.
beingryanjudeSep 3, 2014
Tony Gilroy is one of the most gifted under-the-radar directors of the naughties. Duplicity is both smart and intriguing. While it doesn't quite reach the peak of 2007's Michael Clayton, Julia Roberts and Clive Owen are fab.
BroyaxJan 14, 2017
Film de vague espionnage industriel à la petite semaine qui n'en fait même pas une petite comédie regardable, ni au second degré ni au quinzième. Julie Robert a une tronche de cadavre et on ne comprend toujours pas comment le sémillant CliveFilm de vague espionnage industriel à la petite semaine qui n'en fait même pas une petite comédie regardable, ni au second degré ni au quinzième. Julie Robert a une tronche de cadavre et on ne comprend toujours pas comment le sémillant Clive Owen et le rigolard Paul Giamatti ont pu se laisser embarquer dans une merde pareille. Comme si ça ne suffisait pas, c'est long comme un jour sans pain, les minutes durent des heures et les heures des siècles. Bref, on en revient toujours pas de ce remplissage abrutissant. Consternant ! Expand
CharlottePApr 13, 2011
Smart, fast-moving and reasonably entertaining commercial espionage movie which kicks off with an excellent slo-mo fight between Paul Giamatti and Tom Wilkinson. The latter is always a pleasure to watch, unlike Julia Roberts, who is onlySmart, fast-moving and reasonably entertaining commercial espionage movie which kicks off with an excellent slo-mo fight between Paul Giamatti and Tom Wilkinson. The latter is always a pleasure to watch, unlike Julia Roberts, who is only marginally sympathetic here as a bossy ex-CIA agent turned freelance spy. There's very little chemistry between her and Clive Owen and she looks, weirdly, more like a meerkat than a woman in some scenes. Clive Owen inhabits his role like a favourite shirt and his performance and that of most of the other players keeps things ticking along, which handily redeems a movie that might otherwise have been scuppered by Roberts' peculiarly humourless style. Expand
DominicJun 20, 2011
How is this film so misunderstood? It's brilliant.

How is this film so misunderstood? It's brilliant.

Duplicity is the flip side of writer/director Gilroy's somber Michael Clayton - a charming, adult corporate-espionage comedy that takes place in the high-stakes world of personal hygiene products.

This is a throwback movie in the style of To Catch a Thief, one that asks you to follow a complex plot without apologizing for it, and one which had me grinning from ear to ear through its entirety. As convoluted as it is, the plot is really inconsequential, as its stars carry the bulk of the charm this film has to offer. Instead of Cary Grant and Grace Kelly we get Clive Owen and Julia Roberts, and the two stars are a perfect fit together, with an easy chemistry and sparkling sexuality that is really the engine that runs Gilroy's ship. It's a blast to see a real adult movie in this day and age that has two romantic leads past the age of 40. Roberts is still beautiful and sexy, and her age just enhances the natural intelligence she always exuded. This is her best, most fun performance since Erin Brokovich. And as much as I love Daniel Craig in the role, we all know Clive Owen was born to play James Bond. In this film, he's delightfully roguish and sexy, but seemingly always a step or two behind Roberts' character. And George Clooney better look out if he wants to keep the title of "Best-looking Leading Man in a Suit."

This is the kind of movie that has agents passing secret information back and forth, others trying to lose tails, and even more eavesdropping on private conversations with hi-tech gadgets. Owens and Roberts are never quite sure of one another even while they're falling in love, and the main running joke through the movie is that they don't trust one another at all - and keep testing the other to prove their loyalty - or duplicity.

It co-stars Tom Wilkinson and Paul Giamatti as the rival CEOs, and features a great two-scene performance by the very likable and funny Carrie Preston as a hapless travel agent who is taken in by Owens' charms. Tony Gilroy has become one of my favorite film makers of the last few years. He was an A-list screenwriter for quite awhile, with credits that include Dolores Claiborne, Armageddon, Proof of Life and the Jason Bourne movies. As a director he's done Michael Clayton and now Duplicity, and is obviously a hell of a talent. Like in his previous film, Gilroy jumps back and forth with the timeline until we're thoroughly, happily confused. And in a film that has double-crosses upon double-crosses, he throws a final triple-cross at us that we certainly do not see coming and throws the genres' conventions for a loop! Duplicity is a great film, period.
jaycMar 20, 2009
The worst movie I've seen on a loongg time! Even talents like Clive Owen and Julia Roberts could not keep me interested in this dreadful film.
JamesF.Apr 4, 2009
Duplicity starts about as well as a film can, with a fast pace, sharp, funny dialogue, a hilarious slow-mo satire of corporate cutthroats, and star chemistry between Julia Roberts and Clive Owen that you can only get as a gift from the gods. Duplicity starts about as well as a film can, with a fast pace, sharp, funny dialogue, a hilarious slow-mo satire of corporate cutthroats, and star chemistry between Julia Roberts and Clive Owen that you can only get as a gift from the gods. After that, however, things get increasingly dense and draggy, with the wrapup looking like it was chosen out of a hat as the finish we'd least like to see. All in all, worth seeing, and even reseeing, butonly forthose stars. Expand
TonyH.May 8, 2009
If ever I've seen a movie that was so completely different than what it seemed in the previews - this was it. I never sensed any chemistry between Clive and Julia although I kept hoping it would show up.
SteveBOct 11, 2009
REALLY CONFUSING!!
RichardWMar 23, 2009
Well-crafted, clever caper flick perfectly acted by a terrific ensemble.
CherylMar 25, 2009
I have never been more disappointed in a movie than this. Takes forever to get going and when it does it repeats the same scene at nauseum only to leave you empty with that horrendous ending. Suspense? It was as if Paul G was trying to be I have never been more disappointed in a movie than this. Takes forever to get going and when it does it repeats the same scene at nauseum only to leave you empty with that horrendous ending. Suspense? It was as if Paul G was trying to be serious while the other actors laughed at him because of this ridiculous script. Much ado about nothing. Expand
JayHAug 20, 2009
Julia Roberts and Clive Owen have great chemistry, but it is needlessly complex and has a few too many twists. Great score, very professionally made. It's suspenseful but also drags in a few spots and it is a bit overlong. The humor Julia Roberts and Clive Owen have great chemistry, but it is needlessly complex and has a few too many twists. Great score, very professionally made. It's suspenseful but also drags in a few spots and it is a bit overlong. The humor used is very welcome. Expand
TammyCAug 30, 2009
I couldn't get into this movie at all, very dull story .
GabrielC.Aug 30, 2009
Movie was very confusing. I had trouble figuring out who fooled who and by the end the movie just tells you '' don't bother trying to find out what appened, they failed.'' Very bad. Not even a rental
CarolynMMar 20, 2009
Twisty, turny, suspenseful, and very funny. Two hours long and never a dull moment. Good performances by everyone, and Paul Giamatti almost steals the show. Highly recommended!
0 of 1 users found this helpful
ZygAMar 20, 2009
Wow. All these effusive reviews make me sense that the newspapers are putting out in exchange for Uni's P&A dollars. Have you ever WITNESSED such an expensive campaign for a movie NOT made for fanboys??? Duplicity is okay. Just okay. Wow. All these effusive reviews make me sense that the newspapers are putting out in exchange for Uni's P&A dollars. Have you ever WITNESSED such an expensive campaign for a movie NOT made for fanboys??? Duplicity is okay. Just okay. Opaque shenanigans with less-than-clever "repartee" from two reassuringly familiar stars with by-the-book chemistry provide a few chuckles, semi-pleasurable confusion, and satisfying cinematic vistas. You could probably swap out the entire second act's script with almost any 70's industrial-complex thriller riddled with random lines from an 80's work-a-day romcom or two and not really notice the difference in the plot. The surreal constructions of non-linear sequences are animated in pseudo-Mamet fashion, given even less dimension within the painful constriction of Duplicity's PG-rated world. Julia Roberts' and Clive Owens' characters meet in postcard locations, debate each other's personal trust issues, fade out on the implied sexual act, then retreat to their assigned corners while we are intermittently entertained by stellar secondary characters-- many of whom we're not sure who THEY really are or who they work for. Even though we're supposed to like the central conniving couple, and root for THEIR greed over that of the corporate humpies', the ending is so justly anti-climactic that it perhaps teaches a poignant lesson after all. The inevitable success of this film will make most of us realize just how undercompensated WE are when it comes to Hollywood's distribution of grown-up fare. Expand
B.CainMar 22, 2009
Terrific movie - twists, suspense, romance, comedy. I really enjoyed it.
EarleWMar 22, 2009
The twists and turns of the plot are hard to follow at times,but the movie is ultimately saved by the chemistry and repartee between Julia Roberts and Clive Owen.
KateMar 24, 2009
This story line was drawn out and boring. At points is was confusing, with the whole jumping bad and forward, even though the movie was predictable. Not enough suspense to keep it interesting.
JayPApr 4, 2009
1. Don't waste your time and money. I am officially breaking up with Julia Roberts after this movie. I can't believe she signed on to do such a bad flick 2. If you have to see it, wait for it to hit the discount isle at the vidoe 1. Don't waste your time and money. I am officially breaking up with Julia Roberts after this movie. I can't believe she signed on to do such a bad flick 2. If you have to see it, wait for it to hit the discount isle at the vidoe store. Then you can pause/rewind to say WTF just happened? 3. If you are a prisioner or being punished by your wife and HAVE to go see it at the theater, take a notepad and pencil. It is very, very, very confusing and twisted. It ends worse than bad sex. If there was a "satisfaction or your money back", I would be due some cash back. 4. Never, Never let anyone compare it to Mr and Mrs Smith. That is like comparing filet mignon to dry dog-food If I am ot making myself clear: This may be the worst movie that I have ever paid to see. I sat through the whole damn thing knowing it would get better, or at least get to see Julia Roberts in sexy outfits. My bad. I should have ask the the Theater Manager if he had something more fun that I could do, like sweep the parking lot. Expand
THApr 5, 2009
I'm no movie expert, I just call 'em as I see 'em. This one was a bit too star-focused for me. It was one of those where I felt like I was watching Julia Roberts play Julia Roberts and Clive Owen play Clive Owen. Don't I'm no movie expert, I just call 'em as I see 'em. This one was a bit too star-focused for me. It was one of those where I felt like I was watching Julia Roberts play Julia Roberts and Clive Owen play Clive Owen. Don't get me wrong, they acted very well, but I think the parts were a bit mis-cast. Especially Roberts. I didn't believe her. The story was solid, if you like corporate espinoage. There was a good old-fasioned twist that I guessed at immediately, then over the course of the movie was slowly convinced that I was wrong... only to find out I was right. Satisfying. But I like corporate espionage. This movie isn't for everyone. Two weeks after its release, there were 12 people in this San Diego theater on a Saturday night, and 4 of them walked out before the half-way point. They were young adults, and I would guess very bored. This is definitely not an action movie, and it's definitely no Ocean's 11. Pretty slow. Overall, this was an awkwardly cast star-driven flick, that took itself too seriously, but had enough quality and story-power to make it worth a rent for corporate espionage fans. Story: 7 Acting: 8 Presentation: 6 Length and Pacing: 4.5 Compared to its genre: 5 Compared to all movies: 5 Overall: 5.9/10 Expand
SelinaMMay 2, 2009
This movie was not as hard to follow along as everyone says it was. The ending was spectacular. Absolutely unexpected. Julia Roberts was stunning as always and clive owen was convincing..I took a point off becuase chemisty wasn't all there.
AveryC.Jul 18, 2009
This film lacks both action and emotional vulnerability; however, it has intelligence, charisma, charm, a good bit of wit, and narrative ingenuity. It's my favorite film of 2009, so far. I class it with films like 'Charade' This film lacks both action and emotional vulnerability; however, it has intelligence, charisma, charm, a good bit of wit, and narrative ingenuity. It's my favorite film of 2009, so far. I class it with films like 'Charade' and 'North by Northwest' more than with, say, The Bourne films or the Ocean's films (I'm a fan of all the movies I just listed). Owen and Roberts sparkle, and so the supporting cast is terrific. The movie is *about* cleverness and charm, so, to enjoy it, you sort of have to be into gloss and repartee. In other words, you have to like art that's a little bit artificial. It's not a work of visual symbolism. It's very american, and it require that you enjoy watching people who are sexier and more clever than you are. [This reviewer is thirty-nine, male, straight, upper middle class, has a Ph.D. in English, and loves the NFL and NBA.] Expand
TonyB.Aug 29, 2009
Thanks to some good acting by the entire cast and excellent cinematography and production design, I wasn't bored for a minute. However, I stopped caring or wondering about how it would all turn out long before "Duplicity" ended, the Thanks to some good acting by the entire cast and excellent cinematography and production design, I wasn't bored for a minute. However, I stopped caring or wondering about how it would all turn out long before "Duplicity" ended, the reasons being a far too contrived plot filled with far too many twists and turns. As the camera pulled back for the final shot, there was a potential for yet another surprise. Fortunately, the film had to end at some point. another "surprise" trick I-- . Expand
SamSSep 21, 2009
Extremely confusing, and annoying. I love movies that make you think, but this was absurd. The movie fails to come together, and you're left feeling empty at the end. A shame since it could have been so much better if the makers of this Extremely confusing, and annoying. I love movies that make you think, but this was absurd. The movie fails to come together, and you're left feeling empty at the end. A shame since it could have been so much better if the makers of this film bothered watching it before releasing it. Expand
FrankMSep 7, 2009
Notwithstanding a crisp, cool look and excellent instrumental soundtrack, this film never quite gets there. It teeters on the edge of becoming memorable, and then fades, as the chemistry between Roberts and Owen is only marginally palpable. Notwithstanding a crisp, cool look and excellent instrumental soundtrack, this film never quite gets there. It teeters on the edge of becoming memorable, and then fades, as the chemistry between Roberts and Owen is only marginally palpable. The plot works too hard at being clever; it's rare that one finds a mind-fooler feeling redundant. All in all, pleasant entertainment that leaves you grateful you didn't pay full price at the theater. Expand
HaroldTSep 9, 2009
This is an awful movie. Clever? Yes. Some sharp dialogue? Sure. A handsome leading man? You betcha. But otherwise a mess. Boring, opaque, fundamentally ridiculous, and utterly devoid of anything interesting or enaging. A big letdown. I kept This is an awful movie. Clever? Yes. Some sharp dialogue? Sure. A handsome leading man? You betcha. But otherwise a mess. Boring, opaque, fundamentally ridiculous, and utterly devoid of anything interesting or enaging. A big letdown. I kept waiting for the MOVIE to begin and it never did. Expand
VictoriaS.Jan 11, 2010
I absolutely adored it, so I'm mystified by the ton of negative comments. Sort of an update of Lubitsch's, admittedly far superior, "Trouble In Paradise," it's completely delightful and wonderfully adult. The point off is for I absolutely adored it, so I'm mystified by the ton of negative comments. Sort of an update of Lubitsch's, admittedly far superior, "Trouble In Paradise," it's completely delightful and wonderfully adult. The point off is for the occasional choppiness (I'm an getting so sick of non-sequential narratives) and Julia Roberts' limitations as an actress -- she's wonderful at just looking delighted, but not the world's greatest light comedienne. Still, a sparkling treat. Expand
JonathanZOct 19, 2009
I'm surprised how many legitimate reviewers enjoyed this film. Roberts and Owen have zero chemistry together, and this is absolutely the wrong film for either of them. I loved the premise but found the constant flashbacks derivative and I'm surprised how many legitimate reviewers enjoyed this film. Roberts and Owen have zero chemistry together, and this is absolutely the wrong film for either of them. I loved the premise but found the constant flashbacks derivative and a little too "precious." It's a great story made wrong. Expand
ThaliaTOct 2, 2009
I thought that with such good actors and promising plot, there's no chance that movie could be bad.. but boy was I wrong! They tried to be fun, clever and witty, but the movie came out as messy, predictable, sketchy DISASTER! ps- I CAN I thought that with such good actors and promising plot, there's no chance that movie could be bad.. but boy was I wrong! They tried to be fun, clever and witty, but the movie came out as messy, predictable, sketchy DISASTER! ps- I CAN NOT believe that some critics rated it above 30!! 100 from NY Post and The NY Times??!!?!!???? Something is rotten In Denmark. Expand
FantasyMar 21, 2009
This is a long drawn out boring movie without any chemistry. The ending is so awful that you feel as if you wasted two hours of your time. Avoid.
AmberMar 22, 2009
Beautiful scenery but not much more. The professionals writers who raved about this movie have to be bought and paid for. Julia is lovable but this movie is inept. Check your brains in at the door if you decide to see it. You have been warned.
BobHMar 22, 2009
You go into the theater wanting to love it. You come out thinking does anyone know how to write a good script. Just awful. The Pretty Woman and Clive just don't mesh. He is better than she is. Hated it.
greenstreetMar 20, 2009
We fell asleep and so did a lot of people around us. What are the reviewers thinking? This is at best a 5ish kind of scoring movie ... and that's generous. Convoluted plot, no chemistry, no action - this movie's budget was likely We fell asleep and so did a lot of people around us. What are the reviewers thinking? This is at best a 5ish kind of scoring movie ... and that's generous. Convoluted plot, no chemistry, no action - this movie's budget was likely all spent on the two stars and nothing else. How it got a 100 from the NYTimes I will never know. Expand
PhilippeMar 22, 2009
This movie is a practically perfect upbeat, light comedy. It's not a stroke of genius and it will not be an influence for decades to come, but for what it's worth it's entertainment at its best. And if you pay attention, This movie is a practically perfect upbeat, light comedy. It's not a stroke of genius and it will not be an influence for decades to come, but for what it's worth it's entertainment at its best. And if you pay attention, it's really not that confusing. Expand
TerrmanMar 23, 2009
The same things that make this movie good are the same ones that keep from being great - many twists and turns in the plot. Clever, but confusing. Fun, but you better pay attention. In a nut shell, I had to work a little to hard to keep up The same things that make this movie good are the same ones that keep from being great - many twists and turns in the plot. Clever, but confusing. Fun, but you better pay attention. In a nut shell, I had to work a little to hard to keep up with the story. And work is not something I go to the movies for. Expand
AaronMar 23, 2009
Love Julia Roberts but this movie is boring, goes nowhere and has a dumb ending.
TerenceSMar 25, 2009
I don't know how critics can love it. The plot itself is over done, in the way of heist/crime kinds of movies. The way Gilroy uses cut scenes, it completely detracts from the movies' pace. Honestly, you get an action sequence I don't know how critics can love it. The plot itself is over done, in the way of heist/crime kinds of movies. The way Gilroy uses cut scenes, it completely detracts from the movies' pace. Honestly, you get an action sequence that's good and without a skip of a beat, a long drawn out cut scene enters in the fray, that you just don't care about. The characters are bland and colorless, with the exception of Wilkinson and Giamatti. From the opening title sequence, it seems that these are the actual characters the film should be about. Overall, a severe disappointment. Expand
BillC.Mar 26, 2009
Even a 5 is a little generous.If you see the previews , you've seen all there is that's worth seeing in this mess. Good acting is not enough, and this film proves it.
TDKinDallasMar 26, 2009
I thought this movie was great. There was only one scene in the whole movie that I had a problem with and usually I could go on and on about how stupid a movie is. This movie does require a brain to keep up with it so be warned before going I thought this movie was great. There was only one scene in the whole movie that I had a problem with and usually I could go on and on about how stupid a movie is. This movie does require a brain to keep up with it so be warned before going in. I was also afraid that this movie was going to stink because they have been showing previews forever so I was very happy that it lived up to the hype: direction, story, the entire cast, etc. Also, I actually would rate it an 8. I rated high because the movie deserves a little help in the ratings here on metacritic. Expand
MarkB.Mar 27, 2009
The movie industry is in collusion. There is no way a professional movie reviewer could give this movie a rating above 50. A handful got it right. It is an outright lie for those that rated it about 80. Look at the list. Those reviewers are The movie industry is in collusion. There is no way a professional movie reviewer could give this movie a rating above 50. A handful got it right. It is an outright lie for those that rated it about 80. Look at the list. Those reviewers are on the take. I like movies, good movies, it would be nice to trust professional reviews to give honest recommendations. Expand
RoyA.Mar 28, 2009
The plot was incredibly simple made seemingly complicated by inconsistency of time. It was like the people making the film forgot to shoot various parts of the film and just put them in randomly. The twist ending is till quite satisfying The plot was incredibly simple made seemingly complicated by inconsistency of time. It was like the people making the film forgot to shoot various parts of the film and just put them in randomly. The twist ending is till quite satisfying though. The film also got quite tedious during the middle and felt like it wasn't really going anywhere switching between super serious business scenes and romance scenes. Albeit the romance scenes were well-done. On a side note Clive Owen's performance was absolutely sublime. Expand
KathySMar 29, 2009
Duplicity is highly entertaining and stylishly shot, but the plot twists are a bit too confusing. Still, it's a fun ride. Paul Giamatti is wonderful, as he always is. Julia Roberts and Clive Owen are always a joy to watch.
HollyW.Mar 29, 2009
I don't know what is wrong with my fellow audience viewers. I loved this movie! The plot is twisty, complicated and challenging, but in a fun way. Owens and Roberts have a nice rhythm to their banter, and their mutual attraction I don't know what is wrong with my fellow audience viewers. I loved this movie! The plot is twisty, complicated and challenging, but in a fun way. Owens and Roberts have a nice rhythm to their banter, and their mutual attraction flavored with mutual mistrust makes theirs a complicated dance. We almost didn't see this movie because the trailers were pretty bad--they would lead one to believe there is little chemistry between the leads. But David Denby (New Yorker) has never steered me wrong, so we went to see it. So glad we did. Most enjoyable movie I've seen in a long time. But be sure to pay attention--don't nod off! Expand
DavidHApr 12, 2009
This is the first time on Metacritic I've given a movie a 1. You'd think with a cast like this you'd have a great chance at making an excellent movie. Paul Giamatti is one of my favorites along with Wilkinson, and Julia This is the first time on Metacritic I've given a movie a 1. You'd think with a cast like this you'd have a great chance at making an excellent movie. Paul Giamatti is one of my favorites along with Wilkinson, and Julia Roberts and Clive Owen have been very good in the past as well. This was sort of like an absolutely horrible version of Ocean's 11 or Mr. and Mrs. Smith. This was about 2 hours, but felt like three. My wife and I periodically would look at each other like "how much longer is this going to drag on?". We almost walked out. It was incredibly slow and boring with a depressing ending. Expand
BryanK.Apr 13, 2009
A miserable waste of time. This film is the WORST film I have had the misfortune of viewing. Clive Owen and Julia Roberts have passable,but dull performances. Everyone else is a one-dimensional cliche with no reason for caring. I only A miserable waste of time. This film is the WORST film I have had the misfortune of viewing. Clive Owen and Julia Roberts have passable,but dull performances. Everyone else is a one-dimensional cliche with no reason for caring. I only watched this film through because I don't walk out from a film. However after Duplicity I realize I and my friend should have left when he said we should. My friend and I ripped up our tickets and buried them in my backyard, yet that film haunts me for I feel film critics who praise this film as "Superior Entertainment" are going mad and have yet realized it. If this film is given any awards at this year's Oscars I will freak out. AVOID THIS FILM. Expand
R.L.Apr 17, 2009
When I first heard that Clive Owen and Julia Roberts were going to make another movie together, I thought this would be one of the best movies to come out this year. I wasn't wrong, but I also wasn't quite right either. Duplicity When I first heard that Clive Owen and Julia Roberts were going to make another movie together, I thought this would be one of the best movies to come out this year. I wasn't wrong, but I also wasn't quite right either. Duplicity is a fun and sexy crime caper comedy that resonates with some of the better crime films, or as I like to call them "Get rich quick schemes" films, this movies has allot of good humor and acting but lacks in the thrill of the crime or even the shear enjoyment of it at all, albeit Paul Giamantti and Tom Wilkerson did make good rivals, and Julia and Clive weren't bad either. But as the films move on into it's main story it proceeds to swerve between the lines like a drunk guy driving a car and the story becomes distorted and hard to follow. On the bright side the film has several good points to it as well, it tells an interesting story with a good plot and adequate acting from the cast, I admire Tony Gilroy for trying his hand at directing again but this film just doesn't have it, and then yet it does. Duplicity is smart witty and charming fun, it's a good idea and plot that was lost in a flawed script that if it had been better the movie would have been much more easier to watch and understand. But all in all Duplicity is a fairly good crime caper that is enjoyable to watch and is worth your twelve bucks. Expand
Andrewt.Apr 24, 2009
A shaggy dog story. A disappointment - tried to be too clever, but was not. Plot limited to who was fooling who, which wore you out after the first 20 minutes, if that.
anonymousJul 19, 2009
The movie was very slow and boring, after watching the movie you feel like you haven't watched anything cuz nothing really happened.
mikehAug 30, 2009
Just an awful, awful movie.
tomcSep 22, 2009
This film has flaws, but it also has a lot of charm. It is not confusing. If you were confused by it, then either you're dumb or you simply have no attention span. It's no more complicated than most any suspense film by Hitchcock. This film has flaws, but it also has a lot of charm. It is not confusing. If you were confused by it, then either you're dumb or you simply have no attention span. It's no more complicated than most any suspense film by Hitchcock. If you can follow Hitchcock you can follow this. If you like Owen, Roberts, and any Cary Grant character who's a little gruff, you'll like this. Expand
CarolLSep 7, 2009
Very confusing. Sorry I stuck it out to the end of the movie to get the surprise new twist.
[Anonymous]Jan 15, 2010
nearly killed myself after watching the first half. jumping off the brooklyn bridge sounds more entertaining.
TomONov 16, 2009
Terrible.
DaleMNov 8, 2009
This movie lacks anything to hold a viewer's interest. The acting is flat, the view of the business world is contrived and wholly imaginary, the characters lack either depth or charm, and the story is convoluted and artificial. I am This movie lacks anything to hold a viewer's interest. The acting is flat, the view of the business world is contrived and wholly imaginary, the characters lack either depth or charm, and the story is convoluted and artificial. I am surprised at how many professional reviewers found so many positive things about this movie. Makes me think that professional reviewers are on the take at times. Expand
2 of 2 users found this helpful
AtticusM.Oct 19, 2009
Sucked. Overlong, unnecessarily confusing and some pretty poor performances from the actors. Sucked.
BryanKMar 21, 2009
Other than Clive Owen and Julia Roberts having some connection this film is waste of time. It's confusing, theirs no character development, and--- it just sucks. Save your F---ing money in hard times like these!!!!!!
kgmMar 22, 2009
If you are willing to believe that corporations actually have
zekebMar 22, 2009
Kind of stupid. Carrie Preston, as the seduced travel agent, is the best thing in it. Julia& Clive try, but the plot is painfully twisty, like a BAD COLONOSCOPY.
ChadSMar 22, 2009
"You're unbelievable. You're un-****ing-believable...I've never had a DP act like this. You don't f***ing understand what it's like working with actors." This, of course, is a portion of the tirade that Christian "You're unbelievable. You're un-****ing-believable...I've never had a DP act like this. You don't f***ing understand what it's like working with actors." This, of course, is a portion of the tirade that Christian Bale unleashed on the hapless cinematographer whose crime, according to the actor, was "f***ing around in the background." In other words, the DP dared to exist. The behavior displayed by this real-life American psycho only confirmed what most of us already suspected about movie stars, that some of them are incorrigible egotists who live in their own bubble of self-importance. They use their agency like a license to treat the little people, the crew, like dirt. In "Duplicity", Clive Owen and Julia Roberts stop being Ray Koval and Claire Steinwick in a self-reflexive scene that makes an allusion to their profession. The motel bedroom is transformed into a set, in which the two stars handhold scripts while rehearsing their respective character's lines. Bantering and looking good bantering, the intelligence officers carry an air of invincibility, each lost in his/her own elevated world of mutual sexiness. At one point, Claire asks, "Are you directing me?" Nobody else exists. So they think. This scene informs an earlier one, where Ray orders his colleagues around with blunt aplomb for the especial purpose of servicing Claire. In retrospect, Ray's brusque commandeering sounds analogous to an actor badgering the crew. "Duplicity", ultimately, works as a sort of deconstruction of the relationship between a director and his stars. The film takes the agency away from the stars and hands it over to the subordinates. Expand
JamesMar 24, 2009
A movie about nothing. At the end you feel cheated of both your time and money. Nothing works. Anyone in the mood for pizza with some pineapple on it? Yuk!
JamesH.Mar 29, 2009
For once, the critics have got it right and the audience has got it wrong. This is a fantastic movie. A complete stunner. It's so beautifully complex and greatly put together and just an all round incredible movie.
VinceM.Apr 24, 2009
Mediocre, confusing and disjointed, just didn't enjoy at all, Julia Roberts is on shaky ground if you ask me. She better step it up a bit or face the fate of Sharon Stone, a pariah.
MaciejC.May 22, 2009
Simply a bad movie. Not that kind when you want to throw bricks at the screen because the filmmakers' stupidity is so annoying. It rather leaves you in your chair with the feeling that you've been screwed and lost your time and Simply a bad movie. Not that kind when you want to throw bricks at the screen because the filmmakers' stupidity is so annoying. It rather leaves you in your chair with the feeling that you've been screwed and lost your time and money, like the two film protagonists at the end. Some critics are enthralled by the performance of Clive Owen and Julia Roberts as a couple of ex-spies who need to trust each other to knock over two major companies. Well, 'Duplicity' might act as a kind of mirror in which you see the reflection of your own relationships - this is the best aspect of this movie. For me, the acting is hardly standard, and Clive Owen repeats his speech (about how good he is in remembering people, especially those he slept with) at least one time too much. If there was any originality in the inital scipt, it must have been thrown to the ground by Romantic Comedy Security Forces and curbstomped with a high-heeled shoe. Enough about the chick flick part; this movie is also about the grand scheme the couple are plotting, right? Yes, and it's a disaster: if you watch this absent-mindledly, you just won't get anything; if you try to follow the plot... well, your mistake. Put simply, the final plot twists (mostly) don't make sense: Julia Roberts character rats Owen to his company, and his coworkers find a super-secret formula in his bag, discovering he'd been trying to outsmart them. Some time later, Owen arrives in Zurich with the formula to meet Roberts. How did he get away with it? Was his partner really trying to rat on him? If the answer's no, why the f-word did she put him in serious trouble? Apparently, you aren't supposed to know that. Then, the ultimate twist - everything was staged by one of the companies. Still, you don't really know what happened. The biggest problem with this movie is not that it tries to be a romantic comedy and Ocean's 14, failing on both. The problem is, after watching the movie, you just can't tell more about it than you've read on the movie flyer. 'Duplicity' is just empty; not unintellectual, but lacking in content - at least, content worth remembering. Don't expect any brainless fun, either. Expect a boring movie. Expand