8.4

1. Jun 6, 2014
    I was reluctant to see the movie at first (mostly because it's got Tom Cruise and Oblivion last year was pretty disappointing), but eventually came through only to check Emily Blunt. However, I have to admit that I would've missed a lot had I not seen it. The plot might seem dull at first, especially when you think of Groundhog Day or Source Code, but this is, might I say, definitely one of the best science-fiction works ever. Period.

Turns out Cruise still has the magic in him, but Blunt is pretty much the major reason why this movie resonates so well with the audience. Without any gigantic marketing gimmicks (in comparison to other summer releases), I really didn't expect the movie to be as good as it is.

The visual effect is very smooth, the writing is definitely dashing, and for a movie about repetitions, I am surprised that I didn't even want to miss any scene because the humor, action, sci-fi lectures, and suspense work really well altogether. I expected X-Men: DoFP to be my favorite summer hit this year, but I have to say that this movie definitely steals the spotlight. I hope more people turn out to see it because it's something that you don't want to miss at all (despite the rather cliche ending).
  2. Jun 6, 2014
    The 're-living sequences' were very entertaining, sometimes comical. There's also good chemistry between Cruise and Blunt, and the premise was interesting enough to keep me captivated for the entirety of the movie.
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    A very very ambition satisfying gorgeous sci–fi movie in recent years, I came to watch this cause I adore Tom Cruise but with no high expectation in the movie itself, and for now I still can't believe how much surprises it gave me! I found it funny and hilarious in the first 15 minutes, and it started to blow my mind with its awesome warfare scenes, then when I came to follow the storytelling, I found it hard to breath cause it's so tight! I can't wait to see what cage's gonna do when he revive, when the end came, I almost shout freakin awesome! after all it's easy to recommend to all sci–fi movie fan cause you know what's gonna happen in the edge of tomorrow! Expand
  4. Jun 6, 2014
    Just got done about an hour ago seeing this movie in Imax 3D. It's absolutely spectacular. I haven't seen a huge ammount of Tom Cruise movies but he nails his character in Edge Of Tomorrow.

When I saw the trailer for this movie it looked like too much to throw into a movie. Luckily, the movie is nearly 2 hours long, so there is a lot of breathing room. The general premise of dying and
    waking up again over and over and over has been done in a handful of films but that doesn't mean this film doesn't introduce anything new. Throughout the movie you'll constantly be interested in the equipment the UDF military is using. You'll always be pondering in your head what something does and what you think it is doing. Especially since the main character has no idea how to operate the equipment, you'll sort of learn with him.

The movie is packed with action, a bit of mystery, alien genocidal threat, and a thriller premise without taking away from the very creative era of earth it is set in.

If there was one thing I could complain about it would be that sometimes the story at times felt a little far fetched and wasn't coherent in some nitpicky parts of the plot. But suspension of disbelief will get you there.
  5. Jun 6, 2014
    Edge of tomorrow is without a doubt one of the best and most unique sci-fi action movies of all time ,like minority report,groundhog day,and aliens,it proudly takes the seat between them by offering a great story with colorful characters,awesome premise and a pace that would otherwise most movies completely fail.

Now the story and the plot hook you right away,because we actually get to
    feel how Tom Cruise's chacter William Cage is so scared of the battle,being just a media reporter and a PR guy,he is sent straight into battle and within 5 minutes gets killed,he though comes back to life as he finds out that he is reliving the invasion day,where humanity fights against alien organisms.The story might seem a little conveluded or simplistic but it works for the movie like this,most of the time-travel movies tend to confuse me,because it's time-travel the confusion is inevitable,but the director Doug Liman makes this movie's repetetive nature completely fade away,the cuts and the editing are brilliant without them ever making you feel like :what the hell just happened?

The cast does a fantastic job at their roles too,it's the first time we've seen tom cruise actually die hundreds of times and constantly being scared of the battle,you cope with him,you understand him as it is a human instinct to be afraid of the battle.Emily Blunt's character Rita Vrataski otherwise known as full metal **** lives up to the name,being a complete alien-killing badass,that occasionally offers her own set of emotions,finally a female character that's not a damsel in distress,both Tom and Emily really fit together as a pair and reminds me of the same characters in the book ALL YOU NEED IS KILL,which this movie has adapted,hell their relationship begins with the same sentence as from the book,which i adore btw.Bill Paxton was hilarious ,some of the other characters did need some more work,but that's only a minor complaint and they'e pretty likeable too.all in all fantastic cast,terrific writing,makes a great adventure .

and boy what an adrenaline-packed action adventure it is ,the director Doug Liman completely utilised this movie's premise to deliver some of the most intense alien combat this year on par with godzilla.The exo-suits are fast,mobile,agile and badass.Emily Blunt's character teaches Tom Cruise how to fight better and his development from scared **** PR dude to master chief is a sight worth seeing.Aliens themselves look awesome,this is what would have happened if the aliens from "ALIENS" smoked a looot of cocaine ,yeah.At first Tom Cruise's death scenes are downright brutal ,but he learns from his mistakes,and gets one step closer to defeating the enemy,the final showdon may upset some people as it doesnt quit payoff and the first two acts feel a lot better,but if you have chance to see this movie definetely go see it,it is like i said one of the best sci-fi flicks out there,don't underestimate it.
  6. Jun 6, 2014
    I can't remember the last time I left a movie feeling so satisfied. There is nothing about this movie I can complain about. The plot is as airtight as a sci fi movie could possibly be. It explains everything to you that you need to know, and leaves out anything that could be nit picked to death, leaving the viewer to imagine everything that isn't being shown. Cruises character is 100% believable as a man who relives the same hell every day for an unanswered amount of time. The movie covers all the bases. I was in heaven watching this movie. Despite reliving the same day over and over, watching it never felt repetitive. Recycled events are all shown for good reason. All the details are plausible given the premise.

As a gamer it was supremely enjoyable watching this movie, all the while thinking about how accurately this movie personifies videogame; the repition, the learning, memorization, trial and error, and the pulse pounding sensation of reaching unexplored territory.

It's the best videogame movie ever, without even being about videogames. Totally enjoyable, smart, and satisfying. Must watch.
  7. Jun 6, 2014
    An highly entertaining film; believable and likable characters, great performances from it's cast, Cruise still looks great and Blunt kicks a**, together they add unexpected humor to the ride, the special effects and production don't disappoint, specially the exo-suits (they beat Elysium's in comparison). I recommend it in 3D. Don't miss it and see for yourself.
  8. Jun 6, 2014
    The accepted suspension of disbelief that goes hand in hand with the Sci-Fi genre is pushed to its limits in 'Edge of Tomorrow' which takes its theme from films with a similar concept like 'Groundhog Day' and 'Source Code, even if the story is quite different. Basically, in an effort to win a war against marauding aliens Tom Cruise has to re-live the same events every day until the required result is achieved. So far so good, and there is a lot to enjoy here especially in the first hour and the last final alien encounter. However, Sci-Fi or not, this is a story that does not stand up to too much close scrutiny as there are more holes in the plot than there are bullets flying through the air. To this end the editing style is at once both the film's saviour and ultimately its downfall. Given the necessary repetition of the story, and to ensure that we are not given the same scene time after time, jump cuts are made to propel events forward. Unfortunately, whilst this device works satisfactorily for most of the time there are also occasions when clarity is sacrificed. This subsequently leads one to question all sorts of things about what has or has not had to happen to get to a particular point in the story. The suspect ending is definitely a casualty of this technique and is maddeningly unsatisfactory. Still, the film is entertaining enough and both the visuals on the battlefield and those depicting a devastated Paris are extremely impressive. Expand
  9. Jul 24, 2014
    Groundhog Day, Source Code, Pacific Rim put together brings Edge of Tomorrow like already one of comment said, I really can't see how is possible that somebody which see it self like regular movie critics writer (i think on many news papers and magazine) can give to this movie any higher score than 3+ and 1 point more for good production, after his fourth "reset" movie becoming on first place boring, whit various ATTEMPTS in several different directions for developing story, but neither of them was developed in some kind of main note , so all is one big mix, as is said before of several movies, whit End which is so chip and stupid , that was simply surprising..for example Movie LIVING IN OBLIVION maybe is not master piece but he have one main impulse trough which viewers is guided from beginning to the end. As i said... edge of Tomorrow is maybe poorest executed movie for last , let's say 15 years in which Tom Cruise took the main rolle Expand
  10. Jun 6, 2014
    I'm not really keen on Tom Cruise, but there's no denying he's a talented actor. He and Emily Blunt carry the whole movie, and they do it really well. I thought the time looping may have been boring but it wasn't, the plot progressed well and was really gripping from start to finish. The special effects were excellent, the plot was interesting and fast paced, there wasn't really anything I didn't like about the movie. Expand
  11. Jun 6, 2014
    It's been a long time since Tom Cruise plays the role of a rookie, after Mission: Impossible and Jack Reacher, it's acceptable that he's uber awesome from the start, and it's been even longer since Hollywood produces a great adaptation of Japanese popular literature. Edge of Tomorrow, despite spawning from the grimly titled light novel All You Need Is Kill and the poster's morbid catchphrase, is actually rather light hearted, playful and humorous. With gritty near apocalypse backdrop, the movie uses more mass appealing screenplay and, to its credit, manages to make what could be a redundant concept into an entertaining spectacle.

The movie's mind bending premise is actually an old one, but it's presented differently in sci-fi thriller, and thankfully it has made the transition to cinema pretty well. Tom Cruise plays William Cage, a military PR officer who is ungracefully demoted and literally dumped on battlefield. It's a fresh look for Cruise as he has always played the role of veteran badass for about a decade now. After his fateful first day, Cage is looped in a vicious cycle; he will unwittingly team up with the actual veteran badass, Rita Vrataski, played by Emily Blunt. Contrasting to the bleak situation, Cruise adds a touch of humor to his character. He is certainly proven as an action star, but the on-screen charisma is more prevalent when he tries to overcome the hardship and fails many times around.

Emily Blunt, who has experience in sci-fi genre from her role in Looper, is good choice for Rita. She has a bit of rugged nature from countless battles and she's attractive in her own way. The repeated clip of her doing push-up can also serve as a fitness video thumbnail. Chemistry for these two works for most part as Cage is frantically trying to find answer and Rita has been tempered by battlefield until the point of indifference. Although there could be room for the characters to develop further, they share some good moments and mature attraction. What's really surprising is how director Doug Liman presents the movie in humorous manner, it's consistently funny without being too slapstick. Pacing is really well done, editing helps getting the stagnant premise moves along rapidly. There's also a bit dark humor in recycling death and it's fascinating to see apocalypse concept taken without steroid of grittiness.

Edge of Tomorrow is a visual beast, there's more than enough action to rival its blockbuster peers. The motion is fluid and fast, yet it stays focused without spamming slow motion shots. Its extraterrestrial adversaries are looking organically menacing, a mix of liquid tentacle and rabies canine. Overall color tone is bluish gray, a recent trend in this sort of movie. Futuristic equipment are showcased with more plausible technology, but they also incorporate the grandiose blazing aspect one expects from Japanese animation. Everything looks amazing, and fortunately, especially so in 3D.

Unfortunately, the final act doesn't carry the same impact as the rest of the movie. It's nowhere near horrible, but it does feel underwhelming and far fetch. Not to mention, the action looks a bit murky compared to the flashy bits of the first half. It could also spend a little more time to establish the relationships between characters, but understandably the narrative requires more time to progress. It's not perfect, but Edge of Tomorrow is an excellent movie that respectfully takes its source and creates an alternate version which is more amusing, thrilling and, I'm going to say it, edgy.
  12. Jun 6, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen all year, both myself (Sci-fi, action, war movie fan) and my girlfriend (not a Sci-fi or war movie fan) loved it. The only fault I could find is that the ending was a bit confusing, it left me wondering about the logic of it as I left, but I'm sure a quick google search would help me make sense of it.
  13. Jun 8, 2014
    Edge of tomorrow was good at all, the movie has good action scenes, there are great actors like Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, and the movie script surprised me I really liked how the movie time travel works...
  14. Jun 6, 2014
    Pretty good movie overall. The mix of humour and action works very well, though the action did get a bit tedious toward the end. My only real gripe, which I have with most CGI heavy movies is my sense of detachment with the effects. Most of the scenes involving the aliens were very 'gamey' and too frenetic.
  15. Jun 8, 2014
    A really good movie, I have to say. When I went to the cinema, i was excpecting a nice science-fiction movie with aliens, weapons, explosions, wars etc. but this movie is better than this. The plot is REALLY cool and original, also if at first it could seem like source code. And the aliens are awesome. Maybe not everyone will like the ending, but i did. Don't miss it.
  16. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the outset I must mention I am approaching 70 but do see sci-fi movies from time to time. I came out of the movie pretty confused due nature of this story line where hero and heroine are shown dying in various combinations before the enemy is destroyed. Senior citizens , please preview the story as this might enhance the pleasure of watching an otherwise high class movie. Is it only me who finds that Tom Cruise's drawl is incomprehensible from time to time ? Expand
  17. Jun 6, 2014
    I thought the movie was very nicely done. special effects where great. i did not get bored at all they did the same day over and over but not enough did not bore me at all. i liked it i was entertained. nice movie for a change
  18. Jun 7, 2014
    Never wrote a movie review in my life, but this one motivate me enough to so. Best movie I have seen since the first Matrix. Check it out in IMAX if you can; it will put will right in the D-Day battle.
  19. Jun 10, 2014
    I'm giving this move a 10 because it has all the elements of an entertaining film - action, suspense, humor and good production value which add up to an entertaining time. Basically it's Groundhog Day meets War of the Worlds.

Now I'm a pretty big science fiction fan but I often don't like alien invasion films because the idea that humans are going to win a war against another alien
    invaders whose technology is hundreds of thousands of years more advanced than us usually falls to some ridiculous idea that although they traveled millions of light years to get here they forgot to check the air or the water before they started their invasion. Edge of tomorrow had a much more creative plot line, which really is the basis of the whole story.

I liked the film so much that i went back to see it again with a friend. This films was well adapted and contains enough of the human element to it, so that even if you're not a Sci-Fi fan you will undoubtedly enjoy it.
  20. Jun 8, 2014
    Forget Groundhog Day. For Science Fiction fans like me, this movie combines the best of Minority Report (finally another great performance by Tom Cruise) and Aliens. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Emily Blunt commanded attention (with guts and dignity like Ripley), and the other characters were also idiosyncratic and fun. Two other big pluses – the movie had a great sense of humor and I had no problem following the complicated plot. This one may be a classic. Expand
  21. Jun 6, 2014
    This is the surprise of the summer movie season.Edge Of Tomorrow is a griping,witty,pure awesome action orchestra with great characters and great acting.Never fails to deliver something new and diverse when Tom Cruise's character,Cage,dies and has to relive the same day for more than a 100 times.Thats what made this movie so great.Tom Cruise has proven that he is still a great actor.Emily Blunt plays the badass Rita Vrataski and her chemistry with Cruise is so good.Doug Liman did a really good job here and I really respect him for making justice to the manga this movie is base off called "All you need is kill".I didnt expect such a good movie.Edge of Tomorrow is the reason why we go to the movies.Also the aliens are AWESOME. Expand
  22. Jun 6, 2014
    A movie about a day being relived tens of times may seem boring, but honestly, the execution is fantastic. Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt and director Doug Liman delivers what a summer blockbuster spectacle should be: smart, thrilling, fun, and full of explosions.
  23. Jun 6, 2014
    Woundrous Sci-Fi movie from the lead-off to the end, knacky screenplay and creative context, the movie uses and plays with sort of a revival idea where you never perishes, the day never ends, stunning idea gracefully used, mixed with a great cast and acting, however the use of saturated subject of alien invasion prevented my 10 out 10, however it's a great movie as it stands.
  24. Jun 6, 2014
    Despite a title that sounds like the name of a soap opera, this summertime blockbuster is a generally entertaining piece of escapism. Its excellent special effects (especially its surprisingly good 3D technology) and ample humor, coupled with a clever ploy of having Tom Cruise play against type, make for a rollicking good time. Unfortunately, some preposterous plot elements and uneven film editing (some of it terrific, some of it tedious) keep this release from fully reaching its potential. But, that aside, this is still a fun afternoon at the movies -- as long as your expectations aren't too stringent. Expand
  25. Aug 16, 2014
    There is nothing fresh about this movie. Seems like Liman tried to fuse Source Code with James Cameron's Aliens. Coming straight to the point ....If these aliens are so intelligent that even with time manipulative powers it takes Cruise an "eternity" to defeat them in the beach, he just waltz into their most secure place and blows up their core in one try?
  26. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed it MUCH more than I thought that I would have. It really is the sci-fi-action version of Groundhog Day and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. But it has a heart, and the aliens are not TOO annoying. (Why does every movie this summer - see X-Men - have to have creatures that look like the Sentinels from The Matrix?) Certainly recommended fare. I had a smile on my face for most of the film, which is a good sign in my book! Expand
  27. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't usually go to these kind of movie, and the trailers didn't interest me, but one reviewer said it had a great sense of humor. It does! I also like Emily Blunt....a lot.... It's very well directed, the editing is incredibly good, and the pace never lags, which is good for suspend disbelief Sci-Fi movies, one doesn't have time to think about plot holes. Cruise is good, and starts off well playing against stereotype as a sniveling coward. Blunt gets to be tough in a very sexual masculine/feminine role, and buff! It is the humor that makes this really enjoyable. Who thought that killing someone over and over could be so hilarious? Expand
  28. Jun 10, 2014
    This movie was so good I wanted to sit through it again immediately after it was over. The acting was great. You can really see Tom Cruise's character develop and grow, he did so well. Emily Blunt was superb. Watch this movie, it is great fun.
  29. Jun 6, 2014
    I def was not expecting much from this movie but with all the audience scores being high i figured i would give it a try. I am also glad i did. This is actually a really interesting sic fi movie that actually incorporates some humor here and there as well. Tom did an excellent job of connecting with the viewer and action was abundant but not over done. I liked Emily Blunt in it as well and she did a good job. All in all it was a refreshing movie to watch and different from the latest action movies which mostly comprise of superheroes or sequels so i def recommend a watch but 3D doesn't add anything so you can easily skip the premium pricing. Expand
  30. Jun 7, 2014
    If exoskeletons and time manipulation are your thing, this movie is for you! And if they're not... well you'll probably still like it, anyway. I wasn't particularly satisfied with the ending, but the movie never felt boring and as a whole, I enjoyed it very much. A welcome bi-product of the premise was the feeling that anything could happen to the main character at any time. Other movies often fail to deliver any real feeling of fear or surprise, given that you assume the main character will come out the other side with only a few scratches and bruises. But because the anchor of this story is repeatedly living a single day until he dies, the next fatal blow could be right around the corner. This film also provides some welcome realism in that our hero doesn't miraculously dodge every bullet or perform each maneuver perfectly the first time. I found that the filmmakers highlighted this very well and it provided some believability to an otherwise unbelievable story. At any rate, definitely worth my Saturday afternoon and money. Expand
  31. Jun 6, 2014
    Funny and action badass ! If you like Sci-Fi this is a great remix of starship troopers + groundhog day !

I really love this movie ! There is some stupid things on the plot but nothig to worry about if you are looking for a great blockbuster.
  32. Jun 6, 2014
    amazing movie, great plot, tom cruise does a decent acting job, Emily blunt not so much, the ending is a little fuzzy but in exception of it the movie deliver and exceed on its purpose I totally recommend it.
  33. Jun 6, 2014
    loved this movie tom cruise back in the game properly and delivering the only down part of this movie is the chemistry between Emily and tom but with the script theirs only so much they could do. I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a good sci fi flick and is different from all the others on screen in last years.
  34. Jun 9, 2014
    This is one of the finest Sci-Fi movie I've ever seen. The first 20 mins is pretty standard stuff until Tom starts to repeat. Not a minute is wasted in the boring dialogue or have-to story telling. My mind was grabbed till the end of the movie. I'm going to see this in IMax, and buy the Blu-ray for collection.
  35. Jun 9, 2014
    BEWARE - DON'T TWEET YOUR "BFF" DURING THIS MOVIE. It is smart, funny and fast - A great roller-coaster of a ride.

I enjoyed it more the second time. Awesome - best movie of the Summer.
  36. Jun 6, 2014
    This is a very tough movie to grade because of the acting of its stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt whom are both outstanding; perhaps Emily a tad more. Why? Because only she seems to know what is really going on? We meet Tom as Major Cage an advertising officer who is immediately reassigned to fight on the front lines the very next day although he has absolutely no training at all. Why? We have no idea. And from there the plot goes haywire. If you ever saw the great movie Ground Hog Day starring Bill Murray welcome back. For the next half hour without any suspense whatsoever Tom is killed by the funny looking aliens and immediately comes back to life. By the 3rd time you are literally bored out of your mind. About the 6th time when the coward Tom becomes the bored hero Emily enters the film for real and tells him he can't die and only he can save the world against these not so scary aliens. Why they have invaded Earth we have no idea. Well from there the movie is as predictable as you don't need me to tell you what is going to happen. Major Cage knowing he can't die goes from weakling coward to Rambo. Other than the two stars acting there is absolutely zero character development. Tom is actually falling in love with Emily but even that never bears any fruit for the viewer to see. Bottom line is the teenage boys who like continuous shoot em up action movies without any intelligence will love this. Anyone who does not check their brain in at the door will find no redeeming quality whatsoever in this very poor movie. I should have known when I went to the first screening last night at 8 PM. The theater held 300 seats and only 4 of us came to see it. You can choose to believe the bought and paid for critics or listen to real moviegoers in which most of us telling the truth will rate this about a 4. Save your money to wait for free TV. One last thing the 3D does absolutely nothing for this movie as its simply a gimmick. Avoid. Expand
  37. Jun 18, 2014
    What a bold faced total rip off of the main concept of Source Code, which was an excellent movie. The people who are giving this movie great reviews obviously never saw Source Code, so are really giving THAT movie the good reviews. EOT was simply stealing S.C.'s whole idea (minus the really interesting, nuanced parts which I won't give away in case you haven't seen it), inserting Tom Cruise and changing the emergency from bombings (S.C.) to aliens. Very pathetic ripoff IMHO. Sorry, but Tom as the save-the-day hero is getting really old. Can't movie producers come up with their own ideas anymore? Expand
  38. Jun 7, 2014
    Decent movie. Good CGI, editing, and acting. It's a nice way to kill time, but it's not going to be a 'must see' for this summer. Also, as for how the book relates to this, they have virtually nothing in common. Thematically or story wise.

Also, for those wondering, the reason she uses a sword (in the book a battle axe) is a hang over from the book that is never explained in the film,
    although it made much, much more sense in the book. The basic idea was that the only useful rounds for killing the Mimics were so limited, and the number of mimics so many, that a physical weapon that required no reloading and could never jam was more efficient. Expand
  39. Jun 9, 2014
    Edge of Tomorrow is one of the coolest Sci-Fi action flicks in recent memory. It's Groundhog Day with a little Inception and Independence Day all thrown in together and makes for a great experience. Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt both turn in solid performances as well as the supporting cast. It would be easy for a movie that focuses so much on repetition to tire quickly, but with EoT it only stays interesting and paces well and keeps your interest. Many props to the team tasked with the special effects as they're some of the best I've seen in recent years. There are few things I felt like could have been done better with this movie and if you're only able to see one or two movies this spring/early summer, Edge of Tomorrow should be on your short list to see. Expand
  40. Jun 10, 2014
    Not just another shoot em up alien movie. It has an ingenious plot where Cruise runs into countless dead ends in his quest to break through. Very good special effects, heavy on the action and although there is an obvious relationship thread I did not think it was too over the top. Think GroundHog Day on steroids, but a lot more clever and entertaining.
  41. Jun 6, 2014
    Saw it on the day it came out in AUS. Great fun. The script and dialogue is not cheesy or cringe worthy. Decent solid film. Not like 47 Ronin.

Similar quality of Dredd.

Edge of Tomorrow and Godzilla 2014 are both great to watch.
  42. Jun 7, 2014
    Surprise hit of the summer for sure! Tom Cruise can still kick ass!

Pros: Tom Cruise is awesome as well as Emily Blunt, Supporting cast is good, great sci-fi feel throughout, great action almost non stop, humorous at the right times, excellent premise

Con: Ending was not very satisfying unfortunately

Overall Edge of Tomorrow is a great watch and I would highly recommend.
  43. Jun 9, 2014
    Awesome, Just awesome... not only did this do justice to the manga its based off of.. its a movie based off a manga!

Let alone the visuals are awesome the action is awesome the story is awesome.
    One of the best sci-fi movies I have seen in a very long time this will be a classic.
  44. Jun 16, 2014
    An entertaining "science-fiction" movie if you don't mind semi-checking in your brain at the entrance and just being there for the action. The story itself has some serious loop-holes that you might have trouble ignoring. Don't ask yourself too many questions, or any questions, and you'll be fine. It's really decent entertainment, but if you're looking for a really good sci-fi movie, you might want to pass on this one.
    Matrix like aliens invade the planet (why?), US major without much or any combat training suddenly finds himself serving under a British CO and is dropped on the battlefield (why?), lots of questions go unanswered as there isn't all that much depth to the story, but the action kind of makes up for that. The ending is also rather unsatisfying, but seeing a different Tom Cruise for a change does have upsides.
  45. Aug 4, 2014
    Great movie start to finish. Tom cruise was awesome like usual in this scifi action flick. Great action throughout and the visual effects were well done. I'm Not sure why the critics gave this a low score but I really enjoyed watching this at the theaters. I'm most likely purchasing this when it comes out on DVD. So if you haven't seen this yet and enjoy scifi action films, I highly recommend checking this film out. Expand
  46. Jul 25, 2014
    Poor world building, non-existent character development, predictable story, sluggish pacing, recycled ideas, ridiculous attempts at making a parallel with world war 2....

I can't give this movie more than 4, and it's all because of the excellent acting from both leads, especially Emily Blunt, who is terrific as always.

This movie is only good if you've never seen a movie about a time
    loop before. Expand
  47. Jun 9, 2014
    One of the most surprisingly good films I've seen in a few years. The trailers really don't dive into the story, which better serves the execution of the plot (how most movies should treat their advertisements). The CG and cinematography is great and the acting is on par with most Cruise movies. The plot was what shocked me the most, or more specifically, the efficient use of time. There is no real filler and each scene is important in it's own way. The humor is also executed and timed extremely well and helps balance the tone and keeps the plot from taking itself too seriously.

TL;DR: Awesome sci-fi film with great CG, acting, and plot execution. Go see this in theaters; it deserves every penny it grosses and then some.
  48. Aug 23, 2014
    Fantastic movie!! The story was top notch and the action and acting just awesome. The story is very new compared to everything out there now that just seems to rehash old and tired plot lines. Really have no complaints. Go see it!
  49. Jun 7, 2014
    I liked this a lot. The story was well done and had me the edge of my seat when it wanted to and laughing when it wanted to. I thought Tom Cruise did a great job. I would have given it a 10 only if there was a little more battle variation scenes. Cruise manages to get selected for these types of movies on a consistent basis. I could care less about his politics. He does a good job entertaining me in his movies. Expand
  50. Jun 9, 2014
    I loved this movie. It was unexpectedly funny and the action moved the movie along at a fast pace which kept the audience from being bored. Emily blunt was a little out of character as a bad ass, but it still worked effectively. I really liked the evolution of cruises character in the movie, going from reluctant fighter to hero. This was much more entertaining than Oblivion, and I liked the plot much more as well. Overall I think Edge Of Tomorrow is a great popcorn movie. Expand
  51. Jun 7, 2014
    A nice Sci-Fi movie with good action scenes. The story is not too complicated and the concept with repeating the events of one single day is not very original, but here it works well. The actors are decent, Emily Blunt especially. Overall, if you like sci-fi do not miss this, it's worth one watch (the second won't be very interesting), but you'll enjoy it.
  52. Jun 8, 2014
    A familiar film premise gets a magnificent sci-fi spin in "Edge Of Tomorrow," Doug Liman's brilliantly shot and immaculately performed film featuring an expertly crafted narrative and some skillfully placed hilarity.
  53. Jun 12, 2014
    Great action, great visuals, and good concept. It was competently written, acted, and executed, however I felt it needed a little more depth which could have pushed the film into a real block buster. The lack of such made some elements such as the story and emotional connection to the characters feel a little bland. Although overall the movie was in no way bad, I liked it and wanted it to succeed....which it did, but it could have been even more. Expand
  54. Jun 15, 2014
    Edge of Tomorrow is by far the best film of the year, although just for now. It completely avoids cliches and goes by an unpredictable and brilliant story,the performances of Tom cruise and Emily Blunt are pitch-perfect, the action scenes are exciting, fast and sometimes even brutal. But the film has this morbid sense of humor that really pushes it to the next level. But it also has characters that matter, emotional moments and difficult choices are always put together in the film, it does have layers.

So please, go out there and see Edge of Tomorrow if you haven't already, it's definitely worth your time
  55. Jun 9, 2014
    This was just an awesome science fiction film. Everything felt so original and fresh with two great lead performances. I was hooked from the get go and left the theater completely satisfied.
  56. Jun 8, 2014
    WB, Liman, Cruise & that fugging novel guy presents Groundhog Day, Source Code, Pacific Rim put together brings Edge of Tomorrow.
    For me the movie was boring. The finale explosion should've torn Cage into pieces but he was intact and mimcs gene gone into him eventually for a sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  57. Jun 6, 2014
    Edge Of Tomorrow is a action packed adventure, that reinsurance us that Tom Cruise still has his groove. A very satisfying sci-fi, if not one of the best in recent years. Some really special acting and chemistry between the characters made this all the better, not to mention the Stella warfare scenes. The story is gripping and emotional draining, You really feel an anxiety while watching this movie, consistently worried that he will lose his ability to re-live sequences. This makes the movie unbearable at time! in a good way. Very well directed, acted, all round movie. Worth your time! Expand
  58. Jun 11, 2014
    I had a lot of hopes for this movie. And it totally delivered!!! Tom Cruise gives a fantastic performance. Emily Blunt gave a fantastic performance... you know what. Everyone gave a fantastic performance.
    This movie had a really fun story line. You never feel like the movie is dragging on at parts. I didn't want it to end. The C.G.I is also incredible. I literally could not find any big
    problems in this movie even if their was a gun to my head. I actually saw this in 3d and this movie you can tell was not just converted to 3d last minute. Their are a lot of cool effects that are in here that make the 3d worth it. Don't wait for dvd. Go see this movie on the big screen or you will regret it. I am already trying to figure out when I could see it again. Expand
  59. Jun 11, 2014
    The brink of the future - the best film so far this year. And even the best fiction film last 2-3 years. In the phrase "See can not miss", a comma should be put after the word to watch.

Skip this film - a crime. You know, this is the rare case where the trailer was worse than the film, but not vice versa. I expected tsvetoponosa, vanilla, and a confused story of three sets. In general,
    the film seemed that kind of category B-movie, filmed for a penny and a case of vodka. But this is not the case.

Unlike thousands of similar pictures here well done absolutely everything. Acting? Lovely! Even though I can not stand Tom Cruise, here he played on a solid top five. SG companion usually stupid and annoying. And here you are literally sympathize with Rita. Worried that it can kill. Yes and its just a great game (especially the scene in the barn).

Special effects? They are excellent here. When injected into the alien or not svetoponosa fighter, he just breaks into pieces. What the doctor ordered. Especially here managed to convey a picture in the dark.

The plot? Despite borrowing the concept of Groundhog Day, here he is great. There is no question why SG did so, why so, and not otherwise. No issues and physics. In theory - why not.

Find fault with the logic in this film too will not work. Everything is quite logical and not sostykovok not here.

In general, it turned out beautiful, dynamic fantastic movie. Are you worried for the characters and can not predict the ending. Until recently I was fidgeting in his chair, in 99% of cases this does not happen with me. The film will still remain long in the memory.

Watch in 3D I do not advise, and there is nothing special there except a couple of moments.

Overall a very well made movie. 9/10. See, you can not miss!
  60. Jun 7, 2014
    As ironic as it sounds, dying in movies has never been this much fun! .
  61. Jun 14, 2014
    Edge of Tomorrow is another solid addition to Tom Cruise's line of action flicks. The "Groundhog Day" concept is applied rather well in sci-fi form and doesn't become too tiresome. Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt worked well together onscreen as well. Overall, while it may not be Cruise's finest action film (I enjoyed last year's "Oblivion" a little bit more,) it's still an explosive and entertaining film! Expand
  62. Jun 7, 2014
    No es la mejor pelicula de acción y ciencia fincción que veo, pero tiene su propio estilo y creo que le falto algo que generara la sensación de emoción dentro del trama, pero me gusto creo que es muy buena opción para disfrutarla con palomitas y tener un buen rato en el cine.
  63. Jun 7, 2014
    These days, it's hard to make a profitable movie with blockbusters coming out every week. Movies have to fight at each other's throats to suceed. And that really ends up hurting everybody and creates opportunities perfect for a box office bomb. This makes it hard for average moviegoers to pick what movie they should watch. Also, for amateur movie critics like myself, it's hard to keep up with all these releases. With Maleficent, X-Men DOFP, The Fault In Our Stars, Godzilla, TASM2, Blended, A Million Ways to Die in the West, Neighbors, and a few other films as competitors, I hope that this film will manage to succeed.

Original? Unique? The premise of someone being stuck in a time travel loop isn't really, as it's been done before in Hollywood (Groundhog Day!). However, this film still manages to be fun and entertaining with a familiar premise. For those who are now young, those new to movies, or those new to the Sci-Fi genre, this won't feel overdone because they likely haven't seen too many movies with time-loops. Those who are older, more experienced and seasoned, or who have seen many Sci-Fi films might feel that this movie doesn't offer much new stuff or tread any new ground. Some might fear the "Live, Die, Repeat" thing might become boring and tiresome after a while--but with different camera angles, time jumps, and slightly different dialogue each time it doesn't. The re-spawning sequences are often funny and entertaining. Many have been reminded of videogames with this movie because Cruise is like an inexperienced kid. Trial and error, luck, etc. He uses the same tactics most use in videogames to become a better and better soldier, or "weapon".

Tom Cruise usually stars as some skilled fighter, but here he is just a Propaganda, Media, PR guy. This new inexperienced character is a good one for Cruise to play. It's different than his usual roles. William Cage is just trying to convince the public that the UDF--United Defense Forces--will win the war. (Promoting something one personally has never experienced or doesn't know much about? Hmm, where have I heard that before?) He's never been in a day of combat, and is totally unprepared for the horrors and challenges of warfare. He dies, but wakes up again. And again. And again. He's gained the power to reset the day. William Cage (Tom Cruise's character) ends up teaming up with a woman known as Rita, the "Angel of Verdun" (Emily Blunt's character). Together, they attempt to defeat the Mimics (Earth's alien invaders) and stop the time loop. Here, Cruise is able to be comedic AND and a action-hero star. Emily Blunt is able to be a badass (hence her other nickname, the "Full Metal B*tch"). They work great together; the chemistry between the two is good. The cast is good (liked to see Bill Paxton!). Some think Rita could've maybe had more development, but to me her development was almost perfect.

The plot is nice and the CGI good. The designs for the Mimics was done good. The exoskeletons were well-designed, but for me a BIT too bulky in some areas. Compared to Elysium's suits? Honestly, I feel both exo-skeletons combined would be great. (But does that really matter? What matters is the movie itself). The locations for the film were nice, and weren't locations like Washington DC that have been destroyed too many times.

This proves Tom Cruise is still a great actor, as some seem to dislike him. Personally, I haven't seen too much of Tom Cruise but what I have seen is good. Thanks to this movie, Emily Blunt is now a name I will look for. Great film. I hope people will see it one way or another, because it's good. Some say the ending is weak, cliched, convenient, confusing, but I liked it. It didn't bother me and didn't hurt too bad my overall impression of the film.

The film isn't as dark as the name of the novel it was based on would suggest, "All You Need is Kill". The name "Edge of Tommorow" is more forgettable but because of the supposed negative buzz surrounding the word "Kill" in the title the name was changed. Oh well. The film was released on the anniversary of D-Day, and it certainly reminds me of D-Day with the war setting and the beach assault.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones and mark this review as helpful. I have also reviewed X-Men Days of Future Past, Godzilla, Blended, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, The Lego Movie, and more. I also review TV shows and videogames. Remember, every vote counts!

Sincerely, AG732. Until next time!
  64. Jun 10, 2014
    Easily the best big ticket film of the summer so far. The idea of combining "Groundhog Day", "Aliens", and the Halo video game is both thrilling and funny. Once the D-day looping gets going, the audience becomes attuned to it and revels in Major Cage's Sisyphus-like efforts to advance the clock and defeat the Mimic hordes. The filmmakers keep that editing relatively tight, so we are never bored by a "oh, this part again" syndrome. In almost a tip of the cap to "Aliens", Bill Paxton appears as a Sergeant Master more than happy to send the alleged deserter Cage to his glorious doom, only later to have his Kentucky-bred drill squad speeches defused by the front-running Cage, who by then has literally heard it all before.

There are few deficiencies. Emily Blunt is less believable as a ruthless Amazon leading the assault on the French beaches, but is solid as a romantic heroine. And the J Squad members are fairly expendable, which is fine by me so that our emotional investment doesn't get too fragmented from the two leads.

Despite much of the craziness in Cruise's personal life, he's still arguably the foremost movie star of his time. His films typically deliver a high-quality product with a recent predilection to science fiction action tales. Last summer's "Oblivion" came up short in that particular department but he followed that up with the under-rated "Jack Reacher" last fall. There's a surprising amount of vulnerability on display here as well as a hilariously cowardly squirm to the beginning of his Mad Men-turned-soldier arc.

I think "Edge of Tomorrow" will live on with the original "Mission Impossible" and "Jerry Maguire" in the Cruise canon for some time to come.
  65. Jun 17, 2014
    Ignore Critic Reviews, they're all fueled by greed, fear and prejudice.
    One of the top 3 best movies I've ever seen. When I saw the poster the movie looked strange to me, and I know a lot of people hate Tom Cruise for some reason, but he's a great actor, I'm not big on his older movies but this one was completely organic. I don't know if it's just me but when I watched it again I fully
    understood what was happening, I noticed a lot of things I missed the first time, the movie is so meticulously written and it's one of those movies everyone has to see, it's up there with The Matrix and Dark Knight. The movie revolves around time travel, it's not vague like you often see in sci-fi where you don't really understand what's happening, it's simple like Groundhog Day, speaking of Groundhog Day this movie is very inspired by Groundhog Day. EoT will make you feel nostalgia, fear, joy, etc. I won't spoilerize anything, all I can say is that it's one of the best movies ever made, it's gritty, it's dark and they did a great job avoiding plot holes, something Days of Future Past was chalk-full of. Avoid the Angry Joe review, he spoils the **** out of every single thing he reviews, he always tells you what happens at the end which ruins the movie/game.

+ Gritty/Dark/Scary
    + Great acting
    + Great production
    + Great plot
    - Not gory enough
    - Action scenes are kind of hard to make out sometimes
    - Music isn't great and memorable like Inception/Dark Knight/Matrix/etc. I always said that music makes a gargantuan difference in quality but this movie did just fine without it
  66. Jun 6, 2014
    Groundhog day with guns

Of course it uses the same trope. The only reason worth noting it is that few other movies have. The fact that both films share the same structure is as relevant as saying that because they use the same pieces, moves and boards, all chess games are the same. The story is the same game with very different moves.

As a time-travel movie, I'm sure that other
    critics will come up with logic holes. But again, so what? I saw it two hours ago, and if they didn't stick out while I was watching it the movie navigated them well enough. Looper is another good example of that.

The movie has a lot of situational humor, as opposed to jokes [of the five people in the theatre the idiot two rows back couldn't stop cackling and I had to move from my 3D IMAX sweet spot].

Good editing is essential to good action sequences. Can you tell where all the combatants are in relationship to each other? How often does the director use a master shot to reorient the audience. In another Cruise summer action movie, Oblivion, there is a chase between Cruise in a flying vehicle and four drones, and all the them have the capacity to literally turn on a dime. Yet the direction was such that you always knew who was shooting at what, where.

The action here is more akin to the slice and dice that I hate in other films, but Doug Liman, director of two Bourne movies accomplishes the neat trick of making successive action sequences which, due to the structure, are incrementally different, exciting by introducing sudden new elements while still maintaining visual coherence.

It's ironic that Bill Paxton has a major role, as he did in Aliens: we have Cameron's direction to demonstrate that, even in the far future no weapon is as cool as a high caliber automatic. Verhoeven knew it, and it's still true.

Like Aliens, the picture depends on the strength of the zenomorph design. Here too there the receipt is to steal like crazy from other movies: some alien, some transformer, any roaring monster like Godzilla, the DNA is all there. Doesn't make a wit of difference; they kill and destroy everything in their path quickly and mercilessly.

As if the whole summer movie season was reset year to year, this is a Tom Cruise action picture, and the end is the same as all the other Tom Cruise summer action pictures. Again, so what? And based on what I read about him in the excellent, highly sourced nonfiction investigative book Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief [and as he hasn't brought a lawsuit against the publisher I have to believe it's because he would lose] he leaves a great deal to be desired as a human being. Insert shrug here. He does a good job of playing against his own established character type, showing a glimpse of the kind of range he demonstrated in movies like Rain Man. Emily Blunt acquits her self well as the woman warrior [the converse of the character she played in Looper] and could gave Warrant Officer Ripley a run for her money.
  67. Jun 11, 2014
    I'm a little dumbfounded that this movie didn't do better at the box office because I found it highly entertaining. The trailer makes it seem like it's going to be very heavy science-fiction but it's not. There are certainly light moments like there were in the movie Groundhog Day. For all those Tom Cruise haters out there, the real star of this movie is Emily Blunt. She is outstanding and she is underrated as usual. Expand
  68. Jun 8, 2014
    After the last two Tom Cruise movies I was a bit skeptical about how much I'll enjoy this one. There was no need to be, because this movie is great. The concept is entertaining and the plotting is spot-on. I may have to go in for a second showing.

Everyone here plays their role really well and the special effects werent overused or needless. I rarely go to the movie theater now but I'm
    glad I went in for this movie. Expand
  69. Jun 6, 2014
    Edge of Tomorrow was originally not too big on my summer movie radar as much as films like Godzilla or Guardians of the Galaxy. However, after seeing some pretty cool trailers lately I decided this movie was worth a watch indeed. Plus, Tom Cruise still holds himself as masterful to this day. There's no denying that EoT is a fun watch, yet that doesn't keep the movie from having noticeable flaws. The premise is simple overall. Aliens have landed on Earth and begin to attack. Tom Cruise's place in this is that he is just someone who thinks of great weaponry for soldiers and plans attacks. He is not a soldier and he does not fight, and he especially notes this with a meeting with the general that basically tells him he must fight this one battle (not a spoiler). The way he dies in this battle makes him live the same day over and over every time he dies, hence the motto "Live. Die. Repeat". Some parts of the plot are extremely interesting, and some are dull. I liked how the romance between Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise was very light. Speaking of them, they both play their roles greatly, and like I said, Tom Cruise is excellent. The other characters aren't nearly as good, but are still OK. The action in this flick moves fast, and I loved it. Those mech suits specifically made for humans to fit into perfectly are sick. Plus, I loved the design of the aliens in the movie named Mimics, even though they looked a little like some types of Transformers. I found the writing in the movie to be clever, spicing it up with a bit of humor here and there. The locations where they filmed were also perfect for the movie. Let's move on to the evil little bugs in nearly every movie known as the flaws. There are big plot holes in this movie. There are times when Tom Cruise knows everything that is going to happen since he's lived this part before. I would have liked to see those scenes the first time through. And like I said, the other characters and some parts of the plot are uneven compared to the other great stuff. Side note: I saw this is in 3D because of my schedule, and I was surprised by how good it was. It is not mandatory by any means, but if you like 3D, I highly recommend it with this flick. My opinions with EoT were mixed, but I walked out thinking it was fun and good. A 7 out of 10, and that is good on my scale. Expand
  70. Jun 8, 2014
    Edge of Tomorrow is a fun sci-fi/action movie that plays like a great video game hybrid of old and new. From the old comes the expertise gained by working through the early stages over and over, and from the new comes sensational sound and visuals. And bridging these is Cruise, the ageless star who has dazzled us in both eras.
  71. Jun 10, 2014
    Well, I thought this movie would be a mess like Oblivion, but I was wrong. After seeing Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic's score, I went to the theaters. And I loved it. Tom Cruise's performance is with no doubt excellent just like Emily Blunt. The time loop is not boring at all, it's actually very fun and I enjoyed that. This movie has also stunning action sequences and very good comedy. The only thing I didn't liked was the end of the film. It's surprising but disappointing at the same time. Overall this movie is fantastic: Great cast, clever and a good action packed film. Expand
  72. Jun 8, 2014
    I will start out by saying that I saw this movie yesterday in IMAX 3D and I absolutely loved it. I will begin by saying that I love Tom Cruise as an action actor and that he is def in my Top 5 actors of all time. Now to the review.

Acting:
    I will begin by saying that the acting was top notch of course we have Tom Cruise who is Awesome and also Emily Blunt who was Fantastic. I thought
    the standout was Bill Paxton who was hilarious in the movie and also Brendan Gleeson who was also great with the few parts he had so acting was Superb.

Story:
    The story I thought was very well put together about the alien Invasion and by the end of the movie while there was still one question it was pieced together nicely.

Action Scenes:
    The action in this movie was Insane it was honestly non-stop from start to finish which I love for a movie like this take all the examples you have seen which combine Starship Troopers and the first scene in Saving Private Ryan and combine them and that is what you get an all out brawl of badass action scenes to rival these movies in particular which are Battle:LA and Battleship which I didn't watch because I heard it sucked but regardless if you love action movies this is def for you.

Verdict:
    I would recommend this movie to anyone who loves comedy and action movies galore. I would say watch it in IMAX but if you can't just watch it in 2D this is the summer blockbuster to start the summer and possibly beat out all the rest and in my opinion is Tom Cruise's best film since my personnel favorite "Collateral"!!!!! A Must See.
  73. Jun 8, 2014
    Tom Cruise is funny and very flexible with his acting finesses, sometimes it gets close to MI series....the plot is smart (funny!) and very likable once u get the point yet the only thing where producers could have been more original is the look of bad guys....they were seen in Matrix but still they work well in the film....all in all, this is one of the better sci-fi and those 120 min just fly in IMAX screen Expand
  74. Jun 8, 2014
    I do not know why other people scored negative reviews on this movie...seriously...I don't know why some people said they don't understand the movie. What's so hard to understand about it? The whole direction and plot of the movie was very well conveyed throughout the movie!!! Edge of tomorrow is, in my opinion, Tom Cruise's best film since "Minority Report." By the way, if you were annoyed with the lack of action in the X-Men: Days of future past, then watch this action-filled-from-beginning-to-end film!!! Seriously....just watch it....don't Tom Cruise won't disappoint you in this one. Expand
  75. Jun 8, 2014
    Degradation of Tom Cruise is going full speed. As well as degradation of audience liked Edge Of Tomorrow. Movie shows NOTHING original! It just brings more metal, more cruelty, more suffering in sauce of blood, sweat and tears. Another war with aliens. Another love in hopeless place. Another Tom Cruise failure! Yes it is bad mix of old stamps. Aliens are Matrix machines alike. Plot is Groundhog Day alike. Integration with machines are Pacific Rim alike. All these movies were masterpieces but this mix is just crap. A couple of jokes. Not bad. But nor them nor Emily Blunt can save this movie which is just violent rusty grotesque. Expand
  76. Jun 7, 2014
    I went to see this film despite minimal advertising here in the UK, one thing i can say is how i liked that that the adverts i did see did not ruin the story line like many modern films do. I am personally not a fan of Tom Cruise in movies, his presence is usually a put off for me, but seeing him in this film as a different character from his usual cocky and arrogant persona (for most of the movie) was quite refreshing. Overall i think this was a really fun sci-fi flick that really brought to home the devastation of war and was a world that was east to immerse into. The only criticisms i have really are the abrupt ending and the tragic under use of the entertaining J squad. Expand
  77. Jun 7, 2014
    Bill Paxton is a revelation here! Doug Liman has done it again, taken a tired genre and re-invigorated it by using jui-jitsu on the premise and srcript. An excellent recent LaTimes interview with Doug describes his script and studio issues insightfully. Apparently he had to write a new third act and I think he's done brilliantly. Doug knows just the right balls to keep in the air and which to drop because we have been there, done that so many times before.

I liked Oblivion also, despite its useless title and this is more of the same in many respects, sci-fi film reimagined to do things impossible to do in sci-fi video games.
  78. Jun 9, 2014
    Great movie! Never usually like Tom Cruise but, he was great in this movie, and so was emily blunt good pair. But, I did not like the cheesy ending on how they got back together (it was implied), I think they just should have died make the movie seem more intense I guess. But overall good, one thing Im confused about is in the beach scene their are all those twirling explosions which are much more effective then the alines close combat fighting and yet, they never use it and you never see one of them with one and it definitely not on a ship since they were in a meteorite. Expand
  79. Jun 8, 2014
    I found this movie to be surprisingly entertaining. The trailers do not do it justice and sadly could never fulfill that role. The movie is about repetition but is not repetitive. It has great moments of using that repetition for comedy and also for suspense. What a great line this film walked to achieve this effect!

I found myself trying to figure out what I would do or say in
    those same situations and also worrying about what the characters were going to do once they were presented with the same information the audience had. This to me proves that this film never gets boring or predictable which might also mean that this is a very entertaining film and one to recommend to friends.

Have fun "Maggot"! :)
  80. Jun 10, 2014
    Christopher McQuarrie is back again with a great script adaptation from the manga. I thought this was one of the best sci fi films I have scene in a long time.
  81. Jun 11, 2014
    If anything, this movie is hollywood's lifesaver. There has never been something more refreshing to the movie industry than this movie ever since the start of the 21st century. If had great cgi, good dialogue and a good plot. It had all the things which makes a movie great and more. I really hope whoever reads this could contemplate on going to see this movie because it was done so well. Maleficent has no right to be currently making more money in the box office than "Edge of tomorrow". The only reason I created an meta critic and imdb account on the same day was because I couldn't let a great movie as this not get the attention and money it deserves. This is the first movie which made me do what I did. I hope that gives you a sense of just how good this movie is. If could only watch one movie for the whole of this year, you have got to pick "Edge of tomorrow". There is too much praise to be able to fit in this review and I have not enough time to type all of it out. My personnel tip to you, is to watch this movie. You will never regret it. Expand
  82. Jun 14, 2014
    The first part of the movie is pretty entertaining, but it's originality vanishes after awhile. The Hollywood Cliche scripting kicks in about halfway through. Fun premise, awesome visuals. story execution left me hanging somewhere in the middle.
  83. Jun 14, 2014
    Super fun movie.
    Good acting.
    Good script.
    Good VFX.
    Hot Girls.
    Funny.
    Based on a Japanese book.
    Doesn't get boring.
    Would see it again.
    Saw it with family.
  84. Jun 17, 2014
    My friend advised me to watch this film. As for me - film is very interesting! And I recommend to see this film to everyone who like fantasy. But I think that in this film many recurrent episodes.
  85. Jul 17, 2014
    Yep, Edge of Tomorrow is surprisingly the best summer action movie of 2014! Super interesting and engaging main plot with solid characters! It also has original elements! Great action movie
  86. Sep 6, 2014
    Engaging

It's like watching your best friend play your favorite video game without giving you a turn.

Solid effects and a decent, if not overly clever, story make it an engaging film but not exceptional.
  87. Sep 28, 2014
    Definitely a great movie that is best fit for people that don't mind some repetition. Think of a video game, and how important it is to memorize patterns to stay alive. Emily Blunt looks really, really good; Tom Cruise delivers like he always does.
  88. Jun 15, 2014
    Great movie, i really enjoyed it, super entertaining, i would definitely recommend it, tom cruise has been coming out with movies that impress, so don't think twice.
  89. Jun 17, 2014
    Director Doug Liman is back, following the excellent and little seen "Fair Game" (which featured a great performance by Naomi Watts). "Edge of Tomorrow" introduces us to a futuristic reality, one where aliens have invaded Earth and have almost destroyed the human race. The story focuses on Major William Cage, an officer who has never seen a day of combat, and who is thrown into that reality. Killed within minutes of being in the battle field, Cage however is immersed in the alien creatures DNA, which grants him the capability of reliving the same day over and over. Reliving this day consecutively, allows him to meet Rita Vrataski, an experienced and phenomenal officer, who had the same power as he does (who lost it in the meantime). Together they both try to devise a way to reach the hive that commands all the invading alien creatures.
    Doug Liman is a resourceful director, one who excels in story lines where the central character is usually completely unaware of their own potential and strength (which was the case of "The Bourne Identity" for instance). In this case, William Cage is the unaware hero, who by force of circumstances is forced to overcome his fears, and make a sacrifice to save humanity. The action set pieces flow seamlessly, and though huge in scope and ambition, the film never feels saturated by its visual effects (they allow for the action to be simultaneously realistic and futuristic). The actors are uniformly excellent, from Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, to the underrated Noah Taylor and Bill Paxton. The cinematography from Dion Beebe is also one of the highlights of the feature. A very entertaining film worth watching!
  90. Jul 31, 2014
    Back in December when I went to a screening of "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" I was intrigued when the first trailer advertised was "Edge of Tomorrow". The first thing that sparked my interest was to see the film opening in the heat of summer, and NOT being a sequel of some sorts and reboot.
    Secondly, Tom Cruise and the odd ball pairing of Emily Blunt. And Thirdly, Director Doug
    Liman. After months of speculation, leading up to the film's initial release, I was worrisome. How can an original Sci-Fi open up in the midst of the summer movie going season and stand its own?. Granted, two years ago we had "Prometheus" but that was more a prequel than "original". Anyhow, "Edge Of Tomorrow" adversely sets itself apart from other big budget spectacles this year. You would never think that the whole "Groundhog Day" meets "Independence Day" angle would ever work. But it does.

Tom Cruise is kind of in his typical wheelhouse, not playing the big budget action hero he is stereotyped as. Which also gives the movie some added credibility. Aside from him, Emily Blunt evenly matches her co-star, and actually is impressive to watch on screen together. The story is set in the backdrop, where humans have been at war for five years against an alien menace, called Mimics. The NATO militaries have created an ultimatum to fight the ongoing invasion, there called Jackets. Which are an exoskeleton body armor suit which are equipped to the bone with heavy aliterlary. Cruise plays Major William Cage. a fidgety, egotistical and plan marketing expert whose sole job is to ensure the public enlist in the on going fight.

Then there is Rita Vratarski (Blunt) more like a channeling "Rosie The Riveter" of this generation. Rita and Cage unlikely cross paths in the midst of battle, where Cage has gained accessed to a supernatural ability or "time loop", whereas every time he is killed, the day prior starts over or "resets". The two must form a bond, and live to fight each day and harvest the power of the Mimics in order to ensure humanity's survival.

Some, actually most, will likely argue that the action scenes, creature design and so forth are the films greatest strengths. I attest to those attributes, but I genuinely feel the film's greatest strengths lies within the screenplay, and the performance of Tom Cruise. In the beginning were susceptible, thinking Cruise is likely playing his normal "Top Gun" or "Mission Impossible" persona, however, this is never the case. The growth of Cruise's character, William Cage is worth the price of admission alone. I love how the audience goes from knowing a skirmish guy that has to ask constantly "Where is the safety?" to the end, where he is busting loads of bullets into alien sc*m, the only way he sees fit. It's honestly quite impressive.

Emily Blunt is fun also, while not being able to take her seriously maybe a tad hard, but her persona was perfect, and she's not your normal leading lady. Instead, she evenly pits herself against the big guns (no pun intended) and swings with full blast. Another greater strength to this film, is that it balances it's comic relief with stylized sci-fi sequences that feels like a breath of fresh air. From the over intoxication of deaths on screen, nobody could ever tell you they don't enjoy a laugh or two.

Of course, with the strengths comes the weaknesses. Where most film's problems is the pacing, "Edge Of Tomorrow" kind of suffers from lack thereof. Essentially, every five minutes the film is basically set in a spiral motion, and then bam, the whole relive every day plot sinks in, and becomes tasteless after a while. This never distracted from my overall enjoyment. I can say, however, I was a little fatigue with where things ended up. Including a satisfying conclusion, that was a tad rushed, and won't leave you feeling cheated. (Even though the ending, for lack of some better words, COULD have been better).

At the end of the day, weather your sci-fi geek, Tom Cruise extraordinaire, or any of the above. Doug Liman's "Edge Of Tomorrow" has a little something from everyone. And if you have the option .. it looks and sound's stunning in IMAX 3D

B+

Release Date: June 6th 2014
    Studio: Warner Bros.

Thanks For Stopping By.
  91. Jun 10, 2014
    Tom Cruise plays an Army PR officer who gets killed during an ill-fated mission against invading aliens. He wakes up back before the battle and discovers he's in a time loop, repeating the last few hours, each time getting better and closer to winning. Toss in a tough soldier (Emily Blunt), who understands his situation and provides the inevitable love interest. As action films go, this has some solid sequences and the enemy is OK. If you can ignore some glaring holes in the logic, you might find it an interesting and moderately skillful entertainment. Expand
  92. Jun 12, 2014
    Fantastic movie, delivered exactly what the hype leading up to it promised. It has humor, action, action, action, slight break, action, action, action, slighter break, nonstop action. It has brains too. The hero tries different things, even backtracking to try a new approach. Even with the resetting day and seeing some of the same stuff over and over, you make emotional attachments to the characters, you feel real empathy for their plight. You hope that they can figure it out and you really hope they will make it, or at least save the planet if they have to sacrifice themselves. Top notch movie, go see it! Expand
  93. Jun 9, 2014
    I am getting bored with time travel movies. This is basically a Sci Fi Groundhog's Day. The latest X-Men movie also deals with time travel, and the last Star Trek movie had Spock traveling in time to talk to himself at an older age. This film also commits another sin by featuring creatures that are supposedly far more advanced and intelligent than we are but they are gross and cannot speak, they are just killing machines. Like flying octopuses. It also has the dreaded moving/shaky camera in many parts. STILL, I have to give the movie a pass because it does feature humor, has good special effects, and Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt are excellent as usual. The movie is never boring. Expand
  94. Jun 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. A few things felt a little bit contrived, (like going back in time to a very specific point in time every time you die, gee, that sure was convenient). But overall, it was a solid action flick with some comedy mixed in. Expand
  95. Sep 27, 2014
    Unexpectedly riveting, funny, and smart. The story isn't quite original, but it mashes many ideas from other movies well together (Groundhog Day, Pacific Rim).

The acting is pretty good, for an action flick as well as generally speaking. It was very refreshing to see Tom Cruise getting scared and ass-kicked, instead of being that unstoppable force he always plays in this genre. Emily
    Blunt was just as good as Cruise; I might even say that she was the true star of the film.

The action scenes are entertaining, the special effects are great, and above all, the editing. They cleverly took the concept of repeated days, and crafted some very gripping and funny moments of it.

I now regret not seeing this when it was in theater. Having watched it now, I think I like it more than X-Men: Days of Future Past and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (as far summer movies are concerned). I believe I like this just as much as I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy.
  96. Jun 29, 2014
    Who knew watching Tom Cruise die over and over could be so much fun. But Tom Cruise can never really die. It's impossible. Emily Blunt is becoming the new sci-fi queen between this and Looper. She could seriously star in an Alien reboot. Bill Paxton gave a gem of a performance, too. One of these days people are going to have to admit Doug Liman is a good director.
  97. Jul 6, 2014
    Edge of Tomorrow kicks butt. Serious, serious butt. From start to finish, the movie is gloriously stupid, action packed thrill ride. Plus it's gaming related connections makes this a real 'must watch' for all the gamers out there. Basically speaking, Edge of Tomorrow plastered a mile wide grin to my face. The only downside; the film's Japanese title (and the title of the manga it's based on) 'All You Need is Kill' is way cooler than 'Edge of Tomorrow'. Expand
  98. Jun 29, 2014
    "Smart, unpredictable, expertly designed, shot and edited, well acted and boasting impressive special effects, "Edge of Tomorrow" is science fiction and the summer blockbuster done right."
  99. Jun 24, 2014
    Wow this movie was awesome! I thought at first since I seen some of you saying that it was a combo of Groundhog Day and Source Code that you guys didn't know what you were talking about and I was right. This movie was paced more like the Bourne movies but with different plot of cours. This movie, except the very first 2 minutes where they were interviewing people was edge of your seat action and suspense. GREAT movie! I actually like it better than X-Men (which by the way I loved too). I haven't really figured why this movie has not made over a 100 mil at this point. Best summer movie since the Avengers! Expand
  100. Jun 19, 2014
    Sci-fi and action, with Tom Cruse and Emily Blunt starring.
    I usually do not like Tom Cruse movies but decided to give it a try. I am glad I did. It is another alien invasion movie and plenty of stereotypes are there. But this idea of re-living the same day, even not entirely new, is implemented with imagination. Taking into account the movie's genre, the script is quite good and even
    funny. This combination of sci-fi and action kept me even nervous. Acting was quite good, especially by Emily Blunt. It is not a piece of art, of course, but as a piece of entertainment, it is excellent. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Jun 6, 2014
    A furiously time-looping joy ride and the smartest action film of the early summer season.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Jun 6, 2014
    At its best, Edge of Tomorrow plays like a tripwire time-travel thriller. As it progresses, though, the built-in repetition can, and does, grow tedious.
    It’s probably no great loss, but here and elsewhere the seams show. And in this sort of movie it’s often more fun before we get our bearings and have time to say, “This makes no sense.”