Edge of Tomorrow

8.5

1. Aug 16, 2014
    There is nothing fresh about this movie. Seems like Liman tried to fuse Source Code with James Cameron's Aliens. Coming straight to the point ....If these aliens are so intelligent that even with time manipulative powers it takes Cruise an "eternity" to defeat them in the beach, he just waltz into their most secure place and blows up their core in one try?
  2. Jun 14, 2014
    The first part of the movie is pretty entertaining, but it's originality vanishes after awhile. The Hollywood Cliche scripting kicks in about halfway through. Fun premise, awesome visuals. story execution left me hanging somewhere in the middle.
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    The accepted suspension of disbelief that goes hand in hand with the Sci-Fi genre is pushed to its limits in 'Edge of Tomorrow' which takes its theme from films with a similar concept like 'Groundhog Day' and 'Source Code, even if the story is quite different. Basically, in an effort to win a war against marauding aliens Tom Cruise has to re-live the same events every day until theThe accepted suspension of disbelief that goes hand in hand with the Sci-Fi genre is pushed to its limits in 'Edge of Tomorrow' which takes its theme from films with a similar concept like 'Groundhog Day' and 'Source Code, even if the story is quite different. Basically, in an effort to win a war against marauding aliens Tom Cruise has to re-live the same events every day until the required result is achieved. So far so good, and there is a lot to enjoy here especially in the first hour and the last final alien encounter. However, Sci-Fi or not, this is a story that does not stand up to too much close scrutiny as there are more holes in the plot than there are bullets flying through the air. To this end the editing style is at once both the film's saviour and ultimately its downfall. Given the necessary repetition of the story, and to ensure that we are not given the same scene time after time, jump cuts are made to propel events forward. Unfortunately, whilst this device works satisfactorily for most of the time there are also occasions when clarity is sacrificed. This subsequently leads one to question all sorts of things about what has or has not had to happen to get to a particular point in the story. The suspect ending is definitely a casualty of this technique and is maddeningly unsatisfactory. Still, the film is entertaining enough and both the visuals on the battlefield and those depicting a devastated Paris are extremely impressive. Expand
  4. Jun 18, 2014
    What a bold faced total rip off of the main concept of Source Code, which was an excellent movie. The people who are giving this movie great reviews obviously never saw Source Code, so are really giving THAT movie the good reviews. EOT was simply stealing S.C.'s whole idea (minus the really interesting, nuanced parts which I won't give away in case you haven't seen it), inserting TomWhat a bold faced total rip off of the main concept of Source Code, which was an excellent movie. The people who are giving this movie great reviews obviously never saw Source Code, so are really giving THAT movie the good reviews. EOT was simply stealing S.C.'s whole idea (minus the really interesting, nuanced parts which I won't give away in case you haven't seen it), inserting Tom Cruise and changing the emergency from bombings (S.C.) to aliens. Very pathetic ripoff IMHO. Sorry, but Tom as the save-the-day hero is getting really old. Can't movie producers come up with their own ideas anymore? Expand
  5. Jun 7, 2014
    Decent movie. Good CGI, editing, and acting. It's a nice way to kill time, but it's not going to be a 'must see' for this summer. Also, as for how the book relates to this, they have virtually nothing in common. Thematically or story wise.

Also, for those wondering, the reason she uses a sword (in the book a battle axe) is a hang over from the book that is never explained in the film, although it made much, much more sense in the book. The basic idea was that the only useful rounds for killing the Mimics were so limited, and the number of mimics so many, that a physical weapon that required no reloading and could never jam was more efficient.
  6. Sep 6, 2014
    Engaging

It's like watching your best friend play your favorite video game without giving you a turn.

Solid effects and a decent, if not overly clever, story make it an engaging film but not exceptional.
  7. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At the outset I must mention I am approaching 70 but do see sci-fi movies from time to time. I came out of the movie pretty confused due nature of this story line where hero and heroine are shown dying in various combinations before the enemy is destroyed. Senior citizens , please preview the story as this might enhance the pleasure of watching an otherwise high class movie. Is it only me who finds that Tom Cruise's drawl is incomprehensible from time to time ? Expand
  8. Jun 8, 2014
    Degradation of Tom Cruise is going full speed. As well as degradation of audience liked Edge Of Tomorrow. Movie shows NOTHING original! It just brings more metal, more cruelty, more suffering in sauce of blood, sweat and tears. Another war with aliens. Another love in hopeless place. Another Tom Cruise failure! Yes it is bad mix of old stamps. Aliens are Matrix machines alike. Plot isDegradation of Tom Cruise is going full speed. As well as degradation of audience liked Edge Of Tomorrow. Movie shows NOTHING original! It just brings more metal, more cruelty, more suffering in sauce of blood, sweat and tears. Another war with aliens. Another love in hopeless place. Another Tom Cruise failure! Yes it is bad mix of old stamps. Aliens are Matrix machines alike. Plot is Groundhog Day alike. Integration with machines are Pacific Rim alike. All these movies were masterpieces but this mix is just crap. A couple of jokes. Not bad. But nor them nor Emily Blunt can save this movie which is just violent rusty grotesque. Expand
  9. Jul 25, 2014
    Poor world building, non-existent character development, predictable story, sluggish pacing, recycled ideas, ridiculous attempts at making a parallel with world war 2....

I can't give this movie more than 4, and it's all because of the excellent acting from both leads, especially Emily Blunt, who is terrific as always. This movie is only good if you've never seen a movie about a time

This movie is only good if you've never seen a movie about a time loop before.
  10. Jun 8, 2014
    WB, Liman, Cruise & that fugging novel guy presents Groundhog Day, Source Code, Pacific Rim put together brings Edge of Tomorrow.
    For me the movie was boring. The finale explosion should've torn Cage into pieces but he was intact and mimcs gene gone into him eventually for a sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Jun 6, 2014
    This is a very tough movie to grade because of the acting of its stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt whom are both outstanding; perhaps Emily a tad more. Why? Because only she seems to know what is really going on? We meet Tom as Major Cage an advertising officer who is immediately reassigned to fight on the front lines the very next day although he has absolutely no training at all. Why? WeThis is a very tough movie to grade because of the acting of its stars Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt whom are both outstanding; perhaps Emily a tad more. Why? Because only she seems to know what is really going on? We meet Tom as Major Cage an advertising officer who is immediately reassigned to fight on the front lines the very next day although he has absolutely no training at all. Why? We have no idea. And from there the plot goes haywire. If you ever saw the great movie Ground Hog Day starring Bill Murray welcome back. For the next half hour without any suspense whatsoever Tom is killed by the funny looking aliens and immediately comes back to life. By the 3rd time you are literally bored out of your mind. About the 6th time when the coward Tom becomes the bored hero Emily enters the film for real and tells him he can't die and only he can save the world against these not so scary aliens. Why they have invaded Earth we have no idea. Well from there the movie is as predictable as you don't need me to tell you what is going to happen. Major Cage knowing he can't die goes from weakling coward to Rambo. Other than the two stars acting there is absolutely zero character development. Tom is actually falling in love with Emily but even that never bears any fruit for the viewer to see. Bottom line is the teenage boys who like continuous shoot em up action movies without any intelligence will love this. Anyone who does not check their brain in at the door will find no redeeming quality whatsoever in this very poor movie. I should have known when I went to the first screening last night at 8 PM. The theater held 300 seats and only 4 of us came to see it. You can choose to believe the bought and paid for critics or listen to real moviegoers in which most of us telling the truth will rate this about a 4. Save your money to wait for free TV. One last thing the 3D does absolutely nothing for this movie as its simply a gimmick. Avoid. Expand
  12. Sep 15, 2014
    War movie enthusiasts might be disappointed. I saw this movie expecting it to be a war movie, but it's a typical hollywood summer flick; toned done violence, family friendly, typical cheesy comedic relief, etc. Honestly, the acting in this movie is dreadful except for Emily Blunt. The world is ending, millions have died and the people in the movie don't seem fazed by it, I don't get it. IWar movie enthusiasts might be disappointed. I saw this movie expecting it to be a war movie, but it's a typical hollywood summer flick; toned done violence, family friendly, typical cheesy comedic relief, etc. Honestly, the acting in this movie is dreadful except for Emily Blunt. The world is ending, millions have died and the people in the movie don't seem fazed by it, I don't get it. I liked Starship troopers because it shows the horrors of war. This movie made it feel like a video game and a joke. Could have been so much better if they made this movie rated R. Still not a bad movie, but I expected a lot more. Just a typical run of the mill sci-fi summer blockbuster. Expand
  13. Dec 13, 2014
    I wasn't expecting a career rebounding performance from Tom Cruise and certainly didn't get it. Although, Emily Blunt is surprisingly in top form here. If only their chemistry were stronger - when you continue to live & die & repeat, you need a strong bond between leads.
  14. Sep 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The action was decent, Tom Cruise Emily Blunt good. The story however was such stupidity, failing its drivel. Hyperbole codswallop. Soup! Upon taking many other ingredients from those many known greats, turning this film into porridge. Moar! Again and again, what for it, and again. What happened with the ending? Detesting this entirely repetitive ride. Because it was **** The mediocre repetitive wow factor from yet another teenaged 3D CGI action film, when upon wearing those glasses, blinds all reasonable thought. Shattered, upon conclusion. What in the hell had I just watched? Effectively Nazi alien hybrids mimicking matrix decepticons or some other lost found CGI footage, arrivied via a meteorite to invade Europe. OMG'ea bending time because their hive only has a single praetorian alpha. Charging in, getting bug splattered, passing on the gift of die another day. Although tries to raise morale from D'Day. Louve once more, yet, quite unscientifically absurdly ridiculous. Avoid! Expand
  15. Sep 19, 2014
    Decent movie. Story was a bit of a letdown, support cast wasn't all that good. It has lots of action but considering all the carnage there is surprisingly little blood to be seen.
  16. Jun 11, 2014
    Very involved acting from Tom Cruise. He deserves some serious credit. An award is long overdue. However, the plot is uninspired and In order to escape the reality of death, the ending ends up being unsatisfying. Why does Tom Cruise have multiple lives or a convenient re-start button in his recent movies? In fact, why recent movies are so averse to the idea of death and finality?
  17. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first half-hour of the movie is a fake representation of the following events in it. At last, it reflects a great production, writing and design with a final story that entertains and attaches the viewer to the movie, but the repetitively start with (at the beginning) non-sense creates a temporally confusion that lowers the movie considerably. It is important to mention the great duo made by Cruise and Blunt, they were great at the moment of representing two challenging characters. Expand
  18. May 9, 2015
    Definitely solid and pretty good fun, even if it is wildly overrated. Everything works in the movie, but there's nothing here that I found to be really exceptional.
  19. Jun 7, 2014
    Edge of Tomorrow is directed by Doug Liman and stars Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt and Bill Paxton. The film revolves around the earth being invaded by deadly aliens and the human race being on the edge of extinction. The aliens are winning the war and we decide to make one last push on the beaches of France in a deadly battle that we lose and everything is lost. One of the things that the filmEdge of Tomorrow is directed by Doug Liman and stars Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt and Bill Paxton. The film revolves around the earth being invaded by deadly aliens and the human race being on the edge of extinction. The aliens are winning the war and we decide to make one last push on the beaches of France in a deadly battle that we lose and everything is lost. One of the things that the film tries to do is defy genre convention. It tries so hard avoiding the obvious cliché that comes with a script like this and it does it so well up until the last act, which is arguably the least satisfying conclusion to a film that I have seen in a long time.

I wasn't originally going to be seeing this film in theatres but after hearing the praise it got from critics I started debating on whether to see this or X-Men but after receiving a free movie ticket I made the obvious choice of seeing Edge of Tomorrow. I mean, you can't turn down a free movie ticket! To make a long story short, I should have gone with X-Men.

On the eve of the landing, Pvt. Bill Cage (Cruise) is sent to the front line and is killed within the first five minutes of battle. This first act is so well made and treated with such respect that the rest of the film just seems underwhelming compared to the thrilling ride of the first half. Before his death, Cage was infected with an alien gene that gave him the ability to relive the same day over and over again giving the movie a lot to work with as it has so much going for it. Unfortunately it could have been so much better. The best part is without a doubt some of the clever plotting that makes the time loop aspect of the film never seem predictable or boring. There was probably not a single moment during the first half that made me want to close my eyes and fall asleep. The second half however is a cheesy, badly paced action cliché, which is a shame.

The acting was terrific, with Tom Cruise doing one of the most demanding roles of his career. Cruise's character was very complex and well thought out and I praise the writers for that. I love the fact that Tom Cruise commits himself to the action so much cause he really wants the audience to have a good time. Emily Blunt was so great in this film and I almost think that she should have been the star of the show with all her terrific action scenes. All of the actors did a really good job with their roles but what's sad is that there is almost no character development and Edge of Tomorrow suffers from that. Although the acting is great I didn't give a dime about any of the supporting characters making the film seem a little bland. Thankfully the first half mostly revolves around Cage so it doesn't hurt the overall experience to much. The cinematography was a hit and miss in this film. Sometimes the picture is just beautiful to look at with cool wide shots that hold the mediocre special effects whilst at other times the film feels like something a four year old with a camcorder could do better. It's annoying and distracts from the overall experience. I thought the soundtrack was all right and suited the film for what it is, a mediocre popcorn flick, filled with action clichés but redeems itself with an interesting main character, a plot that is all right for the most part and some cool battle scenes. If that is something you are looking for than go ahead, Edge of Tomorrow is your thing! However, if you want to see a film with a good consistent story, beautiful images throughout, good solid character development that sinks you right in and a satisfying end conclusion, you should rather go with X-Men: Days of Future Past.
  20. Jun 30, 2014
    Reviewers failed to reference a much better film, Source Code, starring Jake Gyllenhall, where the character keeps "dying" and coming back to life until he can figure out how to stop a nuclear terrorist attack on a city. In "Edge," there's so much summer blockbuster shooting, crashing and blowing things up that it obscures the story and upstages the sci-fi intrigue. I liked Cruise inReviewers failed to reference a much better film, Source Code, starring Jake Gyllenhall, where the character keeps "dying" and coming back to life until he can figure out how to stop a nuclear terrorist attack on a city. In "Edge," there's so much summer blockbuster shooting, crashing and blowing things up that it obscures the story and upstages the sci-fi intrigue. I liked Cruise in Oblivion, a much smarter sci-fi story short on massive and continuous explosions. Ditto for Emily Blunt in The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon. Expand
  21. Jul 5, 2014
    It's not original. Didn't you guys know that? Watch Pacific Rim, then, you'll get it. I like the movie because it's Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. Both of them were nailed their characters. It's just the whole story thing, it's not work out with me. Even, the ending, not thrilling at all. So, I like Michael Bay's Transformers better than this.
  22. Jul 10, 2014
    Tom Cruise is really busy these days and after Oblivion here is another Action/Sci-Fi movie Edge of Tomorrow. I like science fiction movies, they give us best of imagination of one person and they also make it real for us to enjoy the show. But there is one big thing you need to watch for and that is story, it is most important part of every Sci-Fi movie and that is also what lacks in EdgeTom Cruise is really busy these days and after Oblivion here is another Action/Sci-Fi movie Edge of Tomorrow. I like science fiction movies, they give us best of imagination of one person and they also make it real for us to enjoy the show. But there is one big thing you need to watch for and that is story, it is most important part of every Sci-Fi movie and that is also what lacks in Edge of Tomorrow.

So here is short version of story, in a near future alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world. Major William Cage (Tom Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat and also didn't think that he will end on first line of battle but while trying to run cowardly from war, ends up in suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself thrown into a time loop-forcing him to live out same day, fighting and dying again…and again. Each time he wakes up after he dies and try to figure new way to save people, in this battle Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt) joins him. They both try to kill main source of alien energy.

Basically, movie picked up few plots from other movies and implemented in one story, i wont say it bad thing but in movie there is no new things just a bad guy turns good. Actually Emily (Rita) could play alone and movie would still be superb and that is how much Cruise contributed with his role. Don't get me wrong, i am not telling that Cruise's acting was bad, it's just that his role in movie was not necessary. Most of movie i was watching side actors that played awesome, and here i want to pinpoint Master Sergeant Farell (Bill Paxton). Tom also showed his full potential accompanied by humor and smart jokes, although Cage at the beginning of the movie was characterized as conceited and arrogant person, eventually his character progressed and developed to be fully flaged main role.

While watching repeatedly i asked myself, “WTF, how many time will he die like dumbass” but that part where he dies was amusing also in some way. Rita was badass role in this movie and she made me reminiscence back to days of Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.² game.

Still i must say that movie animations and acting was good, alien creatures where superb animated. Plot could focus more on aliens and story beside repeating days but still is watchable and if you don't have any other option, check movie.
  23. Sep 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great effects, good background music, acceptable timeline......for these, I can give 8 pts. For the 3 deducted pts, I want to say, no matter who decided that----F**K YOU, RITA IS NOT SUCH WEAK!!!!! She is a VERY STRONG girl (not woman). She lost the power doesn't because she lost her blood, instead, she attained VICTORY in her own fight and this is why she got out of HER repeat. Not only weakening my favorite female in the original fiction, but also weakening the aliens. To those who read the original fiction, this movie is simply a DISASTER. These people got a fantastic plot from the author, but they just ruin it. They want the story, but show no respect to the original characters. I don't know how to describe my feelings. The only reason that I didn't walked out of the cinema in the middle is because...it has nice effects. It is definitely not my type, but for those who didn't read the the original one, it is ok. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Jun 6, 2014
    A furiously time-looping joy ride and the smartest action film of the early summer season.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Jun 6, 2014
    At its best, Edge of Tomorrow plays like a tripwire time-travel thriller. As it progresses, though, the built-in repetition can, and does, grow tedious.
    It’s probably no great loss, but here and elsewhere the seams show. And in this sort of movie it’s often more fun before we get our bearings and have time to say, “This makes no sense.”