6.7

1. Jul 26, 2014
    A really cool concept that could have been executed a bit better but still a really entertaining movie. Matt Damon and Jodie Foster kill there roles in this movie. Some great visuals and action scenes to keep you entertained. A bit slow in the middle but its a good average action movie.
  2. Jul 23, 2014
    This one is a little slow at the beginning and a tad overwhelming as we get adjusted to this futuristic world, but once everything kicks in, it is a really great thrill ride with great action sequences. In addition, the last twenty minutes or so are great and really make up for most of the missteps the film takes earlier on. The direction here from Neill Blomkamp is very strong and the acting from Matt Damon is solid as well. However, Sharlto Copley really dominates the screen here and did a phenomenal job in his supporting role. Now, there are certainly some things I have problems with how certain things happen and why certain characters would do something (nearly out of the blue some of their actions), but it is ultimately made up by the beautiful set design, the really cool weapons they trot out, the good action, and the great ending. Without those things going for it, this one would have really sufferred from it, but thankfully, the end result is a good one and the film as a whole is quite enjoyable. This one delivered everything I could have expected out of a film of this type. Expand
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    I'm a huge fan of sci-fi and I have to say this film is definitely a personal favorite of mine! Much like District 9 before it Blomkamp presents us with a seemingly all too real vision of the future in which the wealthy are able to live on a "Heaven" like space station known as Elysium free from all crime, sickness and disease. What follows is truly one of the most well crafted sic-fi films I have seen! Its not all action and that may turn some people away, but not me. It gives itself time to build up and gives the audience time to care about its characters. Take all this and set it against some of the most gorgeous CGI visuals you can imagine and you have a good idea of what to expect! Expand
  4. Jun 20, 2014
    So I was hyped when I heard the director of District 9 (which in my opinion was a little flawed, but overall a solid 7/10 film) was coming out with a new blockbuster sci-fi film starring Matt Damon. I missed it when it was in Cinemas and watched it recently when it popped up on Sky On Demand.... aaaannnd BOOOY was I surprised. I mean, there was exactly zero chance that I expected it to be as bad as it is. Now I realize that I'm either in the minority or the angry half, so let me give evidence and thus reason for my argument against this abominable waste of time.

First off, the main character is dull, cliche and not a singe bit spectacular in the least! He's a downright **** hole at times and entirely unrelatable, making decisions no one ever in the history of forever would ever EVER make, and the exo-skeleton thing? Boring. The film shoots itself in the foot by never going into the abilities, or even the importance or point of the damned thing. So he rips a car door off and he punched someone really hard that one time... great, spectacular, real memorable stuff guys.

The story and narrative is an absolute mess and is rushed beyond belief. For a film that's an hour and forty minutes it flew by. It's such a scrambled disaster that I cannot decide if it just skips from Beginning to End with no Middle, or whether or not it has a Beginning in the first place. The narrative just drags the audience along, like it's mocking you. I could almost hear it shouting: "Ok, here we go, Main Character? Check. Pointless love interest? Check. Hilariously pathetic Villain played by the Main character from that film before this one that everyone will be comparing this film to? Check. Alright, we're ready, only an hour and forty minutes, go go go! " It's just loathsome.

The settings themselves are soooooo uninspired. It's just Poor Earth and Rich Life-sustaining Satellite. Seriously!? That's it? Where's the damn variety? You mean to tell me that humanity just splits in two? Life is that simple huh? A and B? Black and White!? What a joke. The Elysium itself looks cool from far away shots, but once I saw its surface I became enraged . Every house, every swimming pool, every golf course, every PERSON. It all looks the same. And the Rich people are pathetic and laughably designed. They're just your posh stuck-up, head in the clouds stereotypes. And they all speak French. And treat Robots with discrimination. HOW ORIGINAL. NEVER SAW THAT ONE COMING, AWARD-WINNING STUFF. Also, the movie goes into the fact that Elysium was created because Earth was too over-populated and economies were collapsing... so you mean to tell me that instead of using this amazing, ultra-super-duper technology, that can build huge Earth-orbiting worlds that can preserve human life in the wealthiest way possible, instead of using it to save lives or build new countries or anything charitable, no instead someone with the mind similar to that of Hitler thought they'd take being a dick to the next level and flee the Human Race's problems. Who came up with that idea? Doctor Eggman? I mean this kind of selfishness and just outright evil does not and just would not exist. It just completely goes against human nature, ESPECIALLY in today's culture. It's so unrealistic relative to our world that it's unbelievable... and not in the good way.

The ONLY good parts are the fight scenes which, where they surprisingly lack in quantity, make up for it in quality. The main villain is another horrendously laughable mockery. I guess they were supposed to make him a beefy psychopath, but he makes no sense (I didn't think it was possible to make no sense with making a nonsensical character, but apparently this movie somehow did it) and his voice is hilarious and unintentionally inhuman. While watching this it was the first time I've ever burst out loud laughing at an intentionally serious villain. Needless to say, he's just not threatening in the slightest, but the fight scene between him and Damon (can't remember main character's name, ain't that a good sign?) are futuristically stylized and fun to behold.

In conclusion, some of the designs are kinda neat and the few futuristic fight scenes are cool looking, but a Science Fiction film should not and basically cannot rely on Action to carry itself. Crappy narrative with uninspired settings and characters cannot work when paired with infrequent action scenes. Elysium is unmemorable, downright laughable at times, shameful in its depiction of a realistic future, boring, cliche and brings absolutely nothing new to the table. The only people I would recommend this to would be Nazis.
  5. Jun 17, 2014
    If you can buy into the premise that the rich on "Elysium" engage in inequality simply for inequality's sake, then you might be entertained... I wasn't. The only entertaining part of this movie is his conversation with the automated police officer (and you can see that in an extended online preview). SPOILERS**** Really, the entire premise of this movie is basically that those on "Elysium" withhold life saving machine pods from the people of Earth... just because. Seriously, there isn't an explanation for this, they just horde them. In the end, they simply send a bunch of these pods down and "equality" reigns again. Expand
  6. May 28, 2014
    This is a social commentary wrapped up as a sci-fi movie. First world whities = bad. Illegal immigrants = good. Such innocence. Such horror. Such BS. I especially like the ending where the medi-planes land and the thousands, if not millions, of health-care deprived and starving people have the discipline enough not to swamp, ransack, and riot the medi-planes. As if. Social lefties Foster and Damon put together stale performances, at best. You will leave not feeling anything for either character. Nonetheless, they made their millions to take back to them to their private, gated Elysium of their own. There’s your social justice.

The special effects were the only good part of the movie, to be honest. Other than that, the plot and story was stale, under-developed, and unsatisfying.
  7. May 25, 2014
    Had high hopes for this movie going in and i wasn't really all that disappointed by it. Sure it was no District 9 but it's always hard maintaining Quality. Neill Blomkamp sure does know who to make an entertaining sci-fi film though. The movie follows Max (Matt Damon) an ex-con that is just trying to live a normal life on the hell hole that is now earth. Earth has gone to **** with overpopulation and now looks like a garbage planet. While all the wealthy people live on the space station "Elysium" with not a care in the world. So Basically Matt Damon with the help of his new shinny exoskeleton suit go's to take down Elysium.

Matt Damon does a great job actually in this it's by far the best film that i think he has stared in as the main character in a long time. Jodie Foster was decent nothing special she just really didn't seem right for the film and it shows. Sharlto Copley was amazing it was great seeing him play a villain better yet he was an insane villain. He is always a upbeat, quirky, and hyper guy in his films so it's great seeing his acting range.

Overall i give it a 6.0 Can't wait to buy this on blu ray so i can watch see all the little detail in the CGI because just like District 9 the effects are amazing.
  8. Apr 15, 2014
    Elysium was not I expected. I thought the main character Max would be more Epic, but hes really as Normal as they get in that world. The most unique thing about this movie is how the rich live in a Space town.It was a good movie, and looks great, but kind of disappointing for a movie that looked so interesting.
  9. Apr 6, 2014
    Welcome to Planet Mexico!!! That would've been a better title for this movie than Elysium. This movie does the overpopulated Earth thing and does it in a fashion that would make Captain Planet blush. The hero doesn't do anything to adhere us to him, the villains are so over the top they come off as just cartoonish. The concept of Elysium itself is just odd, if going into space and building colonies is easy why isn't there more of them. Also the going into space part seems as easy as driving down the street all they have to do is wait for the colony's defense grid to go down to make a heavenly run for the border. It's also maddening not to at least see how the rest of the world is fairing in this overpopulated mess. What about countries that are already overpopulated today such as China or India? Frankly showing us L.A. as a brown dirty stain on the California coast is nothing new and it would've been better to at least get a glance at the rest of the country. This visuals are crisp, I'll give them that, although they just remind me of a dozen boring first person shooters I've played. This movie seemed to have a cool premise but when you see it you'll just come away confused or confused and laughing. Expand
  10. Apr 6, 2014
    What the heck were the people saying this was crap watching? One of the biggest gripes about this movie was that "It's overly political", really? really? overly political? Please proceed to remove the tent pole stuck up your... nose, and learn to appreciate good cinema, thank you. Boet. *Insert picture of Kruger giving you the finger*.
  11. Apr 4, 2014
    I thought it was a good movie. I went in thinking it would be gimmicky or cheesy or had something to reinforce the low scores it's gotten on metacritic. Alas the reason is political of all things! re: America+mexico parallels. What to say...I haven't seen district 9 so this isn't really comparable to anything in my head. I was just surprised by how unpredictable the plot was during the whole movie. It wasn't at all cliche. The effects in this movie were amazing. I had originally thought they used slow motion to cover up bad effects. This wasn't the case at all. The effects were all top knotch. The weapon designs (assault rifle) in particular were very interesting and futuristic feeling. I just found it really enjoyable and different. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2014
    This film is bad. Really bad. The set up is a little interesting, but aside from the first five minutes it fails to deliver. Its not that I dont like action films, or sci-fi films, because I do, its just that this is not a good film. Poorly written, boring and incredibly unoriginal with a score of 6.7 this film is far overrated.
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    The film is touching, thrilling and powerful. The effects are great, the acting was solid, and everything was there. It has a strong heart and it's definitely a recommended sci-fi.
  14. Feb 23, 2014
    It's nice to see a serious sci-fi movie that takes itself serious with coming off as pretentious. It's the first time I have been able to say that about a sci-fi movie in a long time. Matt Damon as always nails it. With great action, and fantastic plot, and what may be one of the most despicable villains in movie history, "Elysium" is definitely worth a watch.
  15. Feb 15, 2014
    What a disappointing movie Elysium turned out to be. Let's start with the one positive. The concept for the film is fantastic. The idea for an elitist group of society to be separated like that isn't necessarily original but there's a lot of potential there. Matt Damon and the rest of the cast is also pretty solid (other than Jodie Foster who sucks at life). The special effects and CGI are also pretty top notch but that's about the end of the positives. All of the other features combine to create an almost suckfest of a movie. The most glaring is the identity crisis suffered throughout the almost 2 hours. There are certain technologies in the film that would make Avatar jealous and on the other hand, there are things that we have right now. There doesn't appear to be any sense or logic to it, it's just variable and irregular and it kills the suspension of disbelief, which let's face it, this movie hinges desperately on. The plot is also ridiculously predictable and none of the characters are developed well. Overall, should've and could've been better with a quality director. Expand
  16. Feb 6, 2014
    From the Writer/Director of District 9, comes Elysium, a futuristic tale that focuses on the inequality of wealth. Much like in his first film, Neill Blomkamp is examining a modern problem with a futuristic story, and once again, he isn't offering any solutions. As with District 9, Blomkamp is showing how an unsolved issue, left to it's own devices, will eventually cause chaos. In 2154, Earth is overpopulated and in ruins. The rich have built a utopian society on the largest space station ever conceived, and as you may have guessed, it's called Elysium. The story focuses on Max, an orphan and ex-con, who has always dreamed of living in paradise on Elysium. His plans to earn his way take a dramatic turn, when he is injured in an accident at work. Max knows he'll never survive on Earth and the only way to save his life is to get some of the advanced medical treatment available on Elysium. The two stories are very different, but the setting could have been exactly the same. The story itself was pretty good, there was a lot more action then in District 9, yet the similarities are unmistakable. Matt Damon stars and played the role he was asked to play. Max had a lot of potential to be an interesting character, perhaps one with an agenda, instead he was written as this dumb guy, who was anything but a savior to the people of Earth. Max was out to save himself and did what was necessary to survive, but he should have been more. The people all turned to Max to help solve a greater problem, but all he cared about was himself. Jodie Foster also stars, but has a surprisingly small role, that definitely did not fit her personality. Much like District 9 before it, the story of Elysium is used as a forum for the Writers agenda. The two stories are very different, but the technology, locations, and even several cast members are the same. The result is a slightly better movie than District 9, that will give you an eerie feeling of deja vu throughout. Expand
  17. Feb 6, 2014
    After Star Trek Into Darkness, Thor The Dark World, Hobbit 2 & Man Of Steel, is Elysium one of the movies of 2013 that you got to see, because it got a interesting story, much action at a high tempo & many unique things that you haven't seen before. I really enjoyed Matt Damon's performance in this movie, but also the other actors, aside from Sharlto Copley's bad acting, which was awful. Elysium got a wonderful beginning, and overall didn't Elysium feel boring at any time, which I admire. Elysium is an enormous cool and awesome movie which is well made and contains many unique scenes and stuff that you haven't seen before, but the movie also contains some strange things, like the story, because sometimes it really felt illogical what the characters did in different scenes in this movie, but also that the story is a little misleading at some places. Another weird thing is the ending, and I think it's a great ending, besides that one of the main characters died, which isn't okay, because you don't kill one of the main characters of a film!
    Overall is this a great movie, with a high amount of action, great story, many unique things that you haven't seen before and the thought about an overpopulated planet is great, because it might happen in the future, and even that the ending was bad and the story was a little misleading, is it still great movie, and I really recommend it for all the Sci-fi fans out there, and there are much criticism for this movie out there, and it really depends on the individual if you are going to like this movie or not, because we humans are all different.
    Elysium gets a 8/10
  18. Jan 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to point out that, Damon's posture was very similar with his Bourne role. Like the way he carries his backpack. That's bad. And the way the villain died, really that easy? The worst thing was the last part. The characters just do not fit. Expand
  19. Jan 25, 2014
    Finally watched this film today, went in with high expectations, left with every single expectation blown out the water. An absolutely incredible story, paced excellently throughout. Parred with blistering action and directing, it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It also helps that I'm a huge fan of District 9. All the characters are likable, especially Kruger. I found myself rooting for the bad guys just as much as the good guys. One of my favorite films, I'd highly recommend anyone to watch it. Expand
  20. Jan 17, 2014
    Elysium is a perfect well written and excellently directed Elysium had everything I except to see in a true Sci Fi film. Elysium kept me on the edge of my seat from start till finish.
  21. Jan 11, 2014
    61! The **** is wrong with you guys! You guys probably need to drink more is all.... Try and see the story from each characters point of view... ah screw it you guys are too sober.. or dumb.. I don't care for either one..
  22. Jan 7, 2014
    bom mais falta coerência no roteiro.
  23. Jan 5, 2014
    A bland story with some messy action sequences. It is all fluff and doesn't try to dig a little deeper into its shallow script. Jodie Foster was a mess in this movie and Matt Damon's character was so generic is could have been played by anybody.
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    Pretty good movie, but he seemed pretty lame for having super strength (until the last fight). Smarter viewers will notice the parallels with reality in the film, and many the issues we are dealing with in the U.S. good all around film worth buying a copy.
  25. Jan 4, 2014
    Look. Movies like this don't need any of the following qualities to be "good": 1.) Believability (according to who, and who would assume that what they believe could happen should be the same assumption for everyone?), 2.) Realistic action sequences and flawless special effects (I honestly do NOT care about this, unless it is painfully, painfully obvious that the action sequences are not of a professional quality.), and 3.) Sci Fi can still be "preachy" and still be science fiction. I never felt lectured to. I welcomed ideas of class warfare. Class "warfare" is a healthy thing in society, if it humbles the proud, and helps the more destitute and forgotten in society. I truly, honestly believe that the lack of compassion (or the grave need of it) toward those who are in need, or who are lonely, etc. (be it most any kind of need) is at the heart of this movie. It is about mercy, about the need for freedom and equality, about karma and true justice, and most of all, about selflessness, sacrifice, and pure love. How can ANYONE honestly dislike this movie, other than the brutality and language (and ok, the off-color, suggestive remarks, etc. by Kruger)? This is one of the best movies I have seen in a while. And one more thing. Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror/Supernatural movies, etc. are ALL HIGHLY unrealistic. People need to stop expecting this kind of fiction to behave in the same way as a crime drama, political, etc. thrillers, historical fiction/based on true events, etc., romances, most romantic comedies, and most other kinds of drama, movies, etc. Expand
  26. Jan 3, 2014
    From the makers of District 9 comes this sci-fi action movie starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster. This movie had a lot of expectations to live up to because of how unique and clever District 9 was. Much like my reaction Man of Steel, I can't really make up my mind. It did not live up to my expectations, but was a good movie overall.
    All of the cast give good performances. Matt Damon is
    pretty good, Jodie Foster is pretty good (even if her character doesn't do much), Alice Braga is pretty good, Sharlto Copey is awesome. But what can you expect? He's awesome in everything, even when playing nerdy office workers/aliens. The special effects were very good, excusing Matt Damon's exoskeleton which sometimes looks like one of the 1960's Cybermen from Doctor Who, and the plots quite clever. It gets a bit straightforward in the last 40 minutes, but still good.
    What really let the movie down was the action sequences. I had no idea what was going on in the final battle. It's a type of filming I've never seen before, it's not shaky cam it just changes angles too much. You're right next to Matt Damon's face. Then you're 25 meters away from him. Then you're looking down on him from up in the air. Then you're back right next to his face. Then you're a meter away from him. Then you're just behind him. And finally you're back up in the air looking down on him. All of these angles in the space of 20 seconds. The cameras not shaky, it's just changing position too much I have too come up with a name for this so that I can use it more in future. Unfortunately the action sequences are a large part of the movie. So it ruined a lot of scenes. But not the whole movie.
    I enjoyed myself during Elysium mainly due to Sharlto Copey's amazing performance and the clever plot, but the strange filming style in the action sequences may have made it a slight disappointment.
  27. Jan 1, 2014
    It isn't as good as District 9, but that doesn't mean it isn't good at all, it's actually a very good action film. The story is pretty good, the performances aren't great, but what shines are the visual effects and just the slow motion moments are exhillerating.

Elysium gets a 7.3/10
  28. Dec 31, 2013
    Take away the expectations of previous movies, any political views, and any sensitivities you may have and just enjoy the movie. It's an interesting story, and the visuals are great, but the only thing that doesn't rate this higher, are the evil characters. They're psychotic and stupid, but dont get me wrong, if this movie had the story like Smokin Aces, than it'd make sense! But when you take a serious story and add that, it doesnt go right at all. I wish there was more backstory to it, because some things just pop into play. But overall, i enjoyed the movie, and this is the 2nd film i finally watched despite the reviews giving it under 8. Im not listening to reviews anymore! Expand
  29. Dec 30, 2013
    Nothing worse than going to the theater to be preached to and this is a bleeding heart socialists wet dream cheering on the premise of saving humanity by making the rich minority share their finite resources. Are you kidding me?
  30. Dec 29, 2013
    Elysium is great, great story line, a handfull of seasoned great actors
    Jodie foster, mat damon, woman who played in "i am legend"
    Guy who played in movie "heat"
    I never got bored, always wondering whats next,
    A full value movie for your $
    There is way too many critical nit pickers out there.
    A very good entertaining movie period
  31. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A film I very much looked forward to after really liking district 9. D9 had so much leaning towards apartheid in South Africa and Jodie Foster used the accent rather poorly I might add and this one basically used spanish speaking and Los Angeles as the poor area. Elysium is much like Newport Beach in "The OC" is treated and Malibu in Los Angeles. There are many other opportunities to venture on ideas and they were overlooked. This was free from Redbox so the price was right. The worst part was having to waste the time and gas to return the disc. Expand
  32. Dec 28, 2013
    Although Elysium is certainly disappointing (due largely to outrageous expectations set by District 9), the film does contain a breathtaking action sequence or two, and a humane and likable Matt Damon in the lead role.
  33. Dec 27, 2013
    I didn't really care for the movie. It's one of those movies where I kept looking at my watch to estimate how much longer the movie has. The acting was ok, but that's no surprise. It just didn't live up to the hype.
  34. Dec 27, 2013
    Really disappointing to see 2 of my favorite actors (matt and jodie) bomb it with this one. Basically, Occupy Wall Street with space ships. My kids and I sat around all-too-accurately predicting the plot and even dialogue. I love the part where a bunch of random numbers flash on the screen and the character recognizes it as reboot code right.
  35. Dec 26, 2013
    this movie it is disappointing a lot of bad words and cruel situations didn't like it at all, i was expecting more from Damon why they have to use the f word all the time.
  36. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. yeah I thought this movie was great. I loved District 9 and looked forward to their next film. The critics were kind of split so I was a little worried but the movie turned out to be awesome. The action was intense and their were some great characters. The main character from the first movie returns in a totally different role and I thought he kicked ass. I don't usually like Jodie Foster so her being the antagonist made it alright. Matt Damon did a good job and the mechanic suit he wears gave the movie some very memorable action scenes. I also liked the story a lot about the elite deserting earth for a haven in space, keeping their advanced health care for themselves and leaving the poor too die. The movie held my interest completely and definitely lived up to what I expected. Expand
  37. Dec 26, 2013
    Make no mistake; this is a blatant, in your face, Hollywood leftist propaganda movie dealing with Mexican immigration. If that's your cup of tea, fine. I found it offensive and stopped watching after 15 minutes. It seems they want to force their political views down everyones throat as well as upset the vast majority of Americans who are against illegal immigration by thinly disguising it with Sci Fi special effects. Tinsel town, save your politics for your friends or campaign choices and let me spend my money on less distasteful movies. Expand
  38. Dec 25, 2013
    This movie had some entertaining moments but it's basically another propaganda film from the left. If you like Matt Damon and an action-filled movie, it might be worth 2 hours of your life but you can probably do better than this.
  39. Dec 24, 2013
    Although it's lack of creativity and some poor acting stops it from being perfect, Elysium has dazzling visuals, great characters and is much more thought-provoking than most other sci-fi flicks.
  40. Dec 21, 2013
    This movie is piece of crap. I want the bandwidth I spent torrenting it back.

-Absolute cringe worth moments with dialogs written by, apparently, 15 years olds; I feel bad for Jodie Foster, having to act such flat, unidimensional and purposeless characters
    -Propose interesting topics such as social inequality, healthcare and immigration, without ever discussing or developing them, they
    are just left like uneswered questions, like aborted kids
    -Characters as flat and retarded as shonen villains and heroes... "Huuur hear my boer accent", action scenes are interesting but irrelevant to the story as a whole
    -Plotholes and asspulls
    -Presents no real ending, no "story lesson", no moral message
    -Borders on propaganda, for example it's obvious the association of the elysian secretary of defence with french polician Marie Le Pen and similar stuff, but it's all presented in an overly simplistic, predictable, cliché way, and as I said before, it ends with no moral, it doesn't go into any depth

I only give 2 because of the visuals and the concept art.
  41. Dec 20, 2013
    I give this movie a big ZERO, it's pure garbage, I saw a trailer for this movie and thought it was right up my alley, a good sci fi flick to get lost in for a little while, paid over 20 dollars for it on DVD, now I'll be bummed for the week, once again this movie is crap
  42. Dec 20, 2013
    Generic dystopian action flick but worth the rental. Definitely looks like District 9. I could only partially understand what the South African bad guy was saying. Didn't really matter though it was obvious what was happening. Some interesting ideas and decent CGI. Plot was overly simplistic.
  43. Dec 17, 2013
    This movie criticises current world politics and society on such blatant level that it makes me puke. Like I am some kind of ignorant retard who doesnt know that children in Africa don't receive the same medical treatments as in western world...Oh well, besides, the director still lives mentally in the pre Nelson Mandela and never learned that medics have improved on a huge scale the last years in Africa. Expand
  44. Dec 14, 2013
    "Elysium" is the second feature film from South African writer/director Neill Blomkamp, whose 2009's "District 9" was one of the few recent Sci-fi/Fantasy films that rightfully deserves the title of visionary. Here, Blomkamp delivers a less astounding effort, but an entertaining and appealing socially conscious bit of futurism made on a much larger scale than its $30 million predecessor. However, unlike "District 9," the story of "Elysium" gets lost in battle once the weapons open fire without an exit plan in its mesmerizing futuristic landscape.

In 2154, the earthly population is split into two camps. The rich live in the luxurious space station Elysium, where the atmosphere is so pure that diseases are nonexistent. All those who cannot afford to reside in Elysium, must continue to existence on the contaminated soil of Earth. One of its inhabitants is Max (Matt Damon), a former criminal, who now works a routine job at a factory that produces security robots for Elysium. One day at work, Max absorbs a lethal amount of radiation, and he is given a bottle of pills from his employer to ease his pain for the few days he has left to live. With his life on the line, Max agrees to take on a daunting mission that if successful, will not only save his life, but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.

Max and his team attempt to kidnap and download financial information from the brain of John Carlyle (William Fichtner), the CEO of Max's former employer. Instead, they download evidence of a coup being planned by Secretary of Defense Delacourt (Jodie Foster), a cold-hearted official in the Elysium government who will do anything to protect Elysium from the unwelcome masses.

At a compact 109 minutes, "Elysium" is great-looking entertainment that might have reached its lofty expectations with a longer cut that would allow characters the space needed to develop back stories and expand. Damon’s performance manages to humanize Max to a certain degree, but “Elysium” suffers from some hammy performances, most notably Copley as the video game like villain Kruger. Instead of devoting time to character development and the juxtaposition of the two populations involving associated conflicts, Blomkamp decides to take the action route. The second half of the movie resorts to adrenaline-driven action which grows increasingly tedious with the use of a shaky cam that only leads to a sense of nausea.

As in "District 9," Blomkamp shows a wizardly eye who gets the most out of the visual effects, making sure CG images have the proper movement and texture to blend seamlessly with live-action and practical elements. The CGI effects however, while highly impressive, only take us so far, and offer only diminishing returns. Blomkamp's universe is a fascinating place containing interesting ideas, but there's far too much here to satisfactorily explore in its brief run time. Despite falling short as a social commentary and suffering from tonal severity, “Elysium” is most certainly visually stimulating.
  45. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Elysium is Director Neill Blomkamps second film centered around two worlds, Earth and Elysium. Starring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Alice Braga, Elysium is actually a decent little Sci-Fi fantasy tale that carries solid performances, adequate action sequences, beautiful visuals, and a simple yet well executed premise. Now the real question is, as a whole, is Elysium overall a good movie? It most certainly is. It is definitely not fantastic, but it doesn't fall into the "decent" category nor go down under into being terrible. Matt Damon is adequate in the lead role, but SharIto Copley steals the show with his convincing portrayal of a psychopathic mercenary. Jodie Foster was above average but her character was the typical power-drunken politician that we've seen in film over and over. Elysium is a solid Sci-Fi click with great performances, great though 1-dimensional characters, an adequate and not-so-confusing storyline, exciting action sequences despite the occasional tiresome shaky cam and smooth pacing. If you're a Sci-Fi buff like I, I would definitely recommend giving Elysium a chance. In minor areas it is a bit rough around the edges, but through my opinion and perspective, it is overall an enjoyable addition to the beloved Sci-Fi genre. Expand
  46. Dec 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is from the director of 'District 9' which sets in the year 2154 about the people of severely damaged earth and luxurious artificial habitat in the space. I could say this movie was not much distinct from Tom Cruise' recent science fiction. Both the movie deals about ruined earth and wealthier space station colony. More like it is a prequel to 'Oblivion' where robots are taking over from the human race. I enjoyed both, they were the finest science fiction of the year. 'Oblivion' was unique but 'Elysium' gives the same feeling to the movie 'District 9' where protagonist from both the movies get infected and suffers severely.

Max (Matt Damon) is an orphan young man who is dreaming to escape the polluted earth and settle down in the luxurious place in the space called Elysium. He works in a factory where security robots are manufactured. One day something goes wrong with him while working, he begins to get sick. In order to get cured he must immediately visit the Elysium where poors from the earth are not allowed. He knows he can't enter legally so he must find an alternate way where he could reach his target.

2013 was one of the best year in last the ten years for science fiction movie fans. I thoroughly enjoyed many movies along with my favourite of the year 'Gravity'. 'Elysium' is better than the average, I don't know why it was rated such low. But I could not get a few things like why should one install electronic chips and devices into his body to steal the classified data. I thought the pen drive or external HDD are more than enough. Whatever, this movie looked good to me and expecting you to enjoy it as well.
  47. Dec 2, 2013
    had great potential to be one the best sci-fi. had a great concept, awesome moral story.
    But unfortunately bad execution and very poor script.
    I would keep in a the margin of the positive note with solid acting from the only performer Matt Daemon and very good concept and dilemma of our world.
    Hope to see it remade some day into a great one with 'Good' script.
  48. Nov 29, 2013
    this felt like a movie made from a novel, like there was a much more in-depth story but we were only shown a small part of it. Matt Damon was excellent, but everyone else (Jodie Foster especially) seemed like they were playing caricatures of typical movie roles. A good sci-fi flick, but felt like it could have been so much more.h
  49. Nov 29, 2013
    Fantastic movie. Why cant we all have rights, why cant we all have access to healthcare.

Great action packed movie with plenty to keep you entertained and think about subconsciously. Highly recommended.
  50. Nov 29, 2013
    it was a quite good movie to watch in some moment their was little bit miss directing.But after all the movie was very specious.If their will be a place like Elysium I will join with Matt Demon
  51. Nov 28, 2013
    The entire movie just felt really flat, uninspired and generic, which made the viewing experience incredibly dull for me. I genuinely almost fell asleep while watching it, it was such a dull, boring film. Disappointing, after the wonderful District 9, to which this movie doesn't even compare.
  52. Nov 27, 2013
    This movie is predictable and the character development is weak, the action and stunning special effects should be enough to keep the audiences entertained, and the critics pleased. A good movie overall.
  53. Nov 27, 2013
    Despite a very interesting plot premise, Elysium is a very disappointing and unsatisfying film in every way possible. Weak plot ruined even more so by the unlikeable characters and uninteresting action scenes that fail to entertain. Would not recommend.
  54. Nov 26, 2013
    I was a tad disappointed with this film, I will not lie, I'm a big fan of District 9 and I feel that this film relies too much on a familiar story filled with cliches. But with that said its still very well done, the direction is solid and the subtext within the story is present but its not as effective as it could have been. The acting is decent enough with an always great performance by Matt Damon and Sharlto Copely makes for a great villain, while others like Jodie Foster aren't utilized quite enough, she does a good enough job but she's upstaged by the previous actors. The visuals in this film are fantastic, even surpassing District 9 in that department, the best way I can describe the visuals is very hyper kinetic, its very fluid but always keeps the viewer in the action, especially in the fights between Damon and Copely. Overall, I was disappointed but its still a solid summer sci-fi action film. Expand
  55. Nov 22, 2013
    The movie has an intriguing main idea, some nice visual effects (Elysium looks fine), a prophetic scene (when Max tries to communicate with the robot in vain) and a good performance by Matt Damon. However there are serious plot holes (e.g. Elysium has no air defense and depends on a mad man who fires rockets from the surface of the Earth), the villain is a ridiculous lunatic, shaky camera ruins the action scenes and the political message is socially dangerous: besides its racism (there are no poor white people in the future) it disconnects citizenship from nationality, presenting a world with no national states, and proposes that the poor should simply start consuming the resources of the rest of the people (as if they are infinite). It's no coincidence that whenever an illegal immigrant breaks into someone's house to use its medical facilities no one happens to be inside at that moment. The creators of the movie were smart enough not to show us how someone feels when his property and personal space are violated.
    argonautis.eu
  56. Xon
    Nov 18, 2013
    Great visuals and pacing. Perhaps a little too preachy and pushing a liberal aganda. Cardboard cutout characters and lack of plot or character development made the film less gripping. But good pop-corn fare.
  57. Nov 6, 2013
    Estaba que explotaba para ir a ver esta película: no fue lo que esperaba, pero fue aceptable. El lenguaje cinematográfico del director Neill Blomkamp se hace respetar alrededor del filme siendo, de alguna manera muy característico de su parte. A los amantes de la ciencia ficción, es una cita requerida, ya que Blomkamp es un maestro en lo que respecta ese género. Si bien no es tan buena como District 9 (la anterior película del director y debut del mismo) pero es una película de ciencia ficción de nivel superior. La historia es bastante original pero es bastante predecible; si quieres ver buenas escenas de acción gráficas: ésta es una película que puede ser de tu agrado. Expand
  58. Oct 31, 2013
    The visuals are fantastic, and the action is well directed and executed. I was disappointed with the set up, which felt like a TV show recap. And really District 9 was so good, I guess this could only be a let down. But it looks good and gets moving along nice enough. It gets points for avoiding a PG-13, 3D treatment, and set up for a sequel. Still, the script is lacking.
  59. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really looking forward to this movie and had high hopes. I love sci-fi and District 9 is probably my favorite sci-fi movie but Elysium is quite frustrating. The premise is interesting and has lots of potential but there are some major plot holes. Like why the hell are there none of those medbay pod things on earth? If everyone on Elysium can have one in their homes than surely the ENTIRE earth could afford to have some. And why don't the members of Elysium send those Med ships full of med pods to Earth? Are they all a bunch of uncaring libertarians or something? The movie never really goes into the politics aboard Elysium and does not offer and kind of explanation. This made it very hard for me to suspend by disbelief and it drove me nuts.

The other thing that drove absolutely crazy was the shaky cam. The movie looks amazing, with all the special effects blending in seamlessly, and has some cool actions pieces, but it is hard to see clearly whats is going on because the damn camera man is having a seizure. I had to keep looking off-screen because it was too much for me handle. I don't recall the shaky cam in D9 being nearly this crazy.

The other problem were the somewhat bland characters that I found myself not really caring about at all. Sharlto Copley's character was probably the best, yet even he was still plagued by lack of depth and some cheesiness. And what was up Jodie Foster's accent? Is it supposed to be some weird future accent?

The movies strengths are easily the special effects and the gritty, believability of future L.A. I found there to lots of great little details in the sets, props, and some of the dialog, that made the city feel like a real place. Also, there were some groovy weapons.

If this movie just had an awesome script, and the camera man remembered to take his anti-seizure drugs, than it would have been pretty damn good.
  60. Oct 25, 2013
    Although it doesn't carry the heavy originality of 'District 9', Neill Blomkamp creates another interesting and important political message, and adds the onslaught of heavy action and profane language. Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, and Sharlto Copley are an intricate chemistry, with an enjoyable effect. 'Elysium' has enough for the cost of a ticket.
  61. Oct 24, 2013
    Elysium is... okay...

It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. I'm a bit surprised in how short this movie is (an hour and a half) which is a shame because the other 30 minutes could be put for some nice character building.

The movie tells us the story of two different worlds: The Earth in which it turned into slums that is filthy, dirty, and is not nice living in there, and
    Elysium, which is basically the Citadel of the Mass Effect games filled with nice peoples, nice healthy environment, and the tool of god that is capable of curing any kinds of disease including death itself. Grim Reapers will be very disappointed.

Everyone on Earth obviously wanted to live on Elysium but they can't live there because... because the peoples on Elysium are rich peoples and the peoples on Earth are poor peoples.

The social commentary of this movie creates a very interesting debate including the fact that Elysium has THOUSANDS of these tools of god that prevents the death itself and yet no one has the attmept to bring some to at least every hospital on Earth. Instead, they supply all of these things to EVERY HOUSE in Elysium instead of just the hospitals. Why? Because rich peoples are dicks I guess.

Oh and they characterize rich peoples as a bunch of elegant sods that hates everything on Earth. When someone from Earth talks to them, they order the man from Earth to literally shut their mouth with their hands. Why? Because rich peoples are dicks.

And even though peoples on Earth are basically capable of getting into Elysium manually using space shuttles, the authorities of Elysium doesn't want them to come there because... rich peoples are dicks... and they even had the balls to DESTROY the ships that are coming from Earth to Elysium! Why? Because RICH PEOPLES ARE DICKS!

And by god this movie is shoving that moral lesson right up on our brain's ass. WE GET IT! Rich peoples are dicks, but all of those nice rich peoples will be very offended especially those that are nice to poor peoples.

This is already pretty long. So to keep it short, I didn't like the story that much, the characters aren't that interesting but they are relatable to say in the least, Sharlto Copley as the villain really kicks some serious ass, Matt Damon is... just fine... and that's pretty much it.

The action scenes are fine. I like Shaky Cam when it's done right and to add some sense of realism and a life of the movie (Man of Steel) and I hate it when it's just shaky and disorienting (Gamer), but this one is just fine. At least you can make sense of what's going on. So with shaky cam, I guess the brain is also playing out with the action. Maybe that's why I like it.

Basically it's an okay movie. I didn't like it that much but go give it a watch and see if you're more satisfied than I was.
  62. Oct 24, 2013
    Elysium is not a film for stupid people. Ultimately, critics and reviewers will pan the film simply because they're unaware of the sci-fi tropes and themes that it references. Like Tarantino, Blomkamp is demanding engagement from the viewer, and when one is able to shunt disbelief aside and enter his world, the brilliance of his vision and his technical ability in portraying it make it an emotionally and intellectually satisfying experience. This is Asimov meets Orwell, it shows a depth of understanding of the nature and evolution of technology as well as the essential structures that produce it that should make most political scientists feel ashamed. Blomkamp isn't producing 'summer block buster entertainment' for the American masses, he's trying to create something artistic. This is not Lady Gaga, it's the White Stripes. A lot of critics will miss the joy of this movie by trying to watch it in terms of a summer blockbuster, instead of being aware that this is a director who will never (at least we hope) produce anything that Hollywood wants him to make. Blomkamp heavily references the scientific types found in novels like Dune and gives them a feeling of reality that is almost creepily grounded in today. A lot of critics ask questions like "how did people end up on Elysium". Well how have rich people in any time period distanced themselves from the masses? The answer is slowly. This is a film that will ultimately be beyond people who have never seen or noted how extreme income disparities develop and who have no feeling for how political economy works thorough technology. As such, many critics will try to cast it as a parody or satire of today's world, but in doing so will miss the point completely. This is the world of today taken to its logical end. Solid acting by Matt Damon who plays the everyman with a sort of pent up aggression that's important to the role. Jodie Foster's role is delightful, but ultimately, if a movie is defined by the quality of its villain, Foster is an antagonist but not the ultimate evil. That's reserved for Sharlito Copley, who's portrayal of Agent M Kruger brings chills, all the more so because his type of existence and the nature of his evil are so well recorded in history. But you'd have to know some history to know that and so we come back to the point; Elysium is an intelligent film for intelligent people, and many critics will bash it simply because they don't get it. I certainly don't expect the editor of Time Out London to do so. Frankly, I hope Blomkamp simply ignores them and that we continue to see the evolution of this fascinating artist. Expand
  63. Oct 19, 2013
    very good movie, enjoyed the action, i love how technology is not "super" advanced like in most futuristic movies but very close to reality and to what might actually really happen
  64. Oct 11, 2013
    I had been wanting to see this movie for a while, but when I finally saw it I was disappointed. I didn't really enjoy this movie. I usually don't care much about whether or not a film is generic, as long as it entertains; yet I have to say the film relies too heavily on it's unrealistic (and generic) plot and futuristic setting. And while human beings can be extremely cruel, I doubt they'd leave the poor behind on a ruined earth. (They obviously have the means to help the citizens of Earth, but they don't. Why not? It's illogical. They're just making the citizens of Earth angry.) Sure, it has good special effects, but virtually all movies have that nowadays. Nothing truly breathtaking. I felt the movie was rushed, and looking back their's almost nothing in the movie you didn't see in the trailer. Also--in the movie someone said Kruger had broken several "human rights" laws or something. If there are laws like that, why are most people still on a ruined Earth?

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows and mark this as helpful.
  65. Oct 9, 2013
    Good sci-fi movie, solid action, not much else to say. It'll keep you interested enough to watch to the end, then you'll sit back and go "hey, not bad".
  66. Oct 6, 2013
    Though not as creative or executed as well as District 9, Neil Blomkamp provides another strong film to the sci-fiction genre. Even though the theme is nothing new, Elysium is a well paced action film that succeeds at sending a message.
  67. Oct 5, 2013
    It depends upon WHY you want to see a movie. Do you want stunning eye candy? Wanna get lost in a gritty sci fi future? This is the movie for you. HOWEVER...If you want good acting (Jodie Foster was surprisingly, distractingly bad) a good plot, and to come out of the theater having learned something, this aint for you. There were a lot of unanswered questions.

Go for the beautiful
    action and nothing more. Expand
  68. Sep 29, 2013
    Visually excellent and carrying great potential, Elysium is nonetheless too idealistic and too indulged with social commentary to work as an effective sci-fi presentation.
  69. Sep 29, 2013
    When I watched district 9 I knew that neil blomkamp was going to he a good director he takes it owns ideas and makes good movies also the performance of sharlto copley was amazing.
    In this movie (ELYSIUM) he makes a new idea by making the movie and making it well, I know that some of you expected the movie a little bit better but dont let the critics screw your movie.
  70. Sep 27, 2013
    Elysium es un refresco comparado a peliculas como Oblivion que intentan la misma idea pero no logran sacrle el jugo del todo y se tornan demasiado aburridas, Elysium logra tramar con la misma idea con subtemas basados en realidades y suspensos emocionantes.
  71. Sep 27, 2013
    Gostei do filme,mas eu realmente fui esperando mais dele.Todas as ideias apresentadas a principio são ótimas,entretanto não são tão bem trabalhadas.
    Quando o filme chega ao final fiquei com a impressão de que o filme poderia ter sido muito melhor mas que pecou em alguns aspectos,de qualquer maneira um filme muito bom e as ideias e a atuação dos atores também, só não ir esperando um
    grande filme e ira se divertir assistindo e vendo as criticas que são feitas a nossa sociedade. Expand
  72. Sep 26, 2013
    After reading many heavy criticism of this film, that decepsionante to be blamed and not go further in its atmosphere, I watched it almost certainly of annoyance and frustration, but fortunately the film surprised me, your story may not be very innovative, but it is extremely catchy and interesting, eeste new director is presenting this as one in S. Ridley, by treating social problems camouflaged in a science fiction realistically, what makes the film so far the best I've seen this summer, their defects are the only ones acting of Jodie F. and a successful turnaround a bit bad, but problems are not very important to consider the rest of the film. Expand
  73. Sep 26, 2013
    Absolutely loved this film. As a huge fan of District 9, this was actually exactly what I was expecting it to be. Blomkamp's style is so distinct, and in general I have never seen a Sci-fi film quite like this. I don't quite know what critics were expecting, and it's particularly hard to tell when you have some wishing it was closer to District 9 while others criticize it for being too similar. The fact is that Blomkamp has used many of the elements that made District 9 SO brilliant and has applied them to a rather different perspective of Science Fiction in my opinion to equally brilliant effect.
    This film should be view completely independently which I understand is difficult for some.
    Needless to say, after seeing this film, I am even MORE excited to see what Blomkamp does next.
  74. Sep 24, 2013
    Neil Blomkamp follows up the outstanding ‘District 9’ with ‘Elysium’; and the result wasn’t as deft. Like many science fiction films, some sweet social themes were at work here. ‘Elysium’ promotes socialized health care, of which I’m an avid supporter; and it also tackles classism in a visually striking manner. With the wealthy 1% living aboard the pristine space station called Elysium where machines cure any disease, and the poverty stricken masses living on the disheveled fringes of the Earth, where they’re left to suffer; this called for some creative efforts from both the writers and the crew. Too bad the writers didn’t quite deliver on their part. The popular beef with this movie seems to be the heavy handedness of the message, and I couldn’t agree more. Being written in bold strokes, very little was left to the imagination of the viewers. I literally felt beaten and bludgeoned by the free health care message which the film so obviously endorses, and that doesn't strike me as a tactfully written piece of work. The characters at the centre of the plot were one dimensional; and this became ever clearer in the films key dramatic moment, which truly fell flat. I call this a disservice to the talented Matt Damon, Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley; who all gave substandard performances thanks to the substandard material they were given. I didn’t completely dislike the film; the themes at work were great to digest, and the crew did fantastic work on the technical aspects of the movie. Those gritty action sequences and the designs of Earth and Elysium were brought to life through awesome visual effects and a grizzly sound palette. Overall this was a well meaning and fairly entertaining summer blockbuster, with high ambitions but a low delivery. Expand
  75. Sep 22, 2013
    I wish there was a way for users to delete reviews. I thought this was a great film but I want to delete the review under this profile, and so I write 150 words.
  76. Sep 22, 2013
    "Bring down the bone saw!"

Within the overall ranking of great film, there is a sub-section of great reserved for awesome Sci-Fi, the rarest of all great. This blog will begin with a review of such a film.

Having just seen Elysium I am more probably more envious of director Niell Blomkamp than any other person in the world right now. Besides the fact that Blomkamp’s now two feature
    films are fantastic, his other film is District Nine, he’s only 33 and he operates as a visionary in the Sci-Fi genre, a genre where visionaries are in urgent demand.

In 2154 Earth’s wealthiest have abandoned the filthy scourge that has become our home planet and taken up residence on Elysium, a Garden of Eden type space station equipped with ultra-advanced medical technology. It’s all just a quick shuttle ride away from Earth. Close enough to be realistic, but just outside the reach of masses.

Matt Damon plays Max, a heavily tattooed former criminal trying to get this life back on the straight and narrow, but the Los Angeles of 2154 where he resides makes it difficult. After a run of bad luck he is dealt a deadly dose of radiation while working at his factory job. From here Max’s only chance of survival is to get to Elysium. Conveniently, Max just happens to be on a first name basis with Spider, a mastermind hacker crime boss that has the means to get Max there. After an unpleasant scene were Max is fused to with a robotic exoskeleton all he needs to do to attain his passage is hijack a corrupt official’s brain and download the data to his own.

The dismal picture that Blomkamp paints of our future as a species is grim, although slightly glorified. His Los Angeles 2154 resembles the favelas of current day Rio de Janerio, hardly a fictional dystopia, and although Damon is a pleasure to watch amidst this dystopian fiction, his overall goal of trying to save his own life is not enough to garner sympathy. It is difficult to care about the worth of a single ex-con’s life amidst the pandemonium and violence that everyone around him also suffers.

This disconnect never really resolves itself despite an attempt: Max ends up trying to save his childhood friend, and her daughter too. It doesn’t work, but it also doesn’t matter. This film is about wholes, big pictures, sums of all things greater than the individual. The technological marvels of Elysium are matched only by the decrepitude of the world that Blomkamp creates. A statement has been made loudly about humanity’s potential trajectory, lest we decide to alter it.
  77. Sep 21, 2013
    El primer acto de esta película me resultó muy interesante, incluso me agradó el ambiente al que me llevó a sumergirme. Pero cuando llega el segundo y el tercer acto es que este filme decae un poco. Pues la historia pierde mucha fuerza y los miedos y desconfianzas del personaje principal lo posicionaron en un lugar, que como personaje de una ciencia/ficción como esta no funcionara del todo. Por otra parte, la realidad es que Elysium es una película visualmente impresionante, los detalles de las naves espaciales lo definieron todo. Pero al emprender los encuentros entre el héroe y los villanos se vuelve a notar un poco la pérdida de este factor. Pues lo que era visualmente impresionante, se convirtió un poco en visualmente molestoso. En fin Elysium no es una mala película e incluso se pasa un buen tiempo viéndola. Pero más allá de eso… nada. Expand
  78. Sep 21, 2013
    I was disappointed at the end. Even though it was a great sci-fi concept and several unexplored themes; it was offensive that there was an exaggerated racial theme portrayed. I wasn't the only one that felt like that, the rest of my group felt like that too at the end. Matt Damon is a great actor and went to see the movie because of him. His acting role doesn't disappoint, it is just the plot and surrounding events that are disappointing. I did enjoy the ending, but the writers could have elaborated more on what the future held. Clean movie for a family to watch, no nudity, harsh foul language, or extreme violence. Expand
  79. Sep 21, 2013
    District 9 was a masterpiece, Elysium is not!
    This is a big disappointment. Visually it's great but the story is too simple, full of good ideas under-used.
  80. Sep 19, 2013
    I really liked this movie
    great visuals, great performance by Matt Damon it's a tiny bit of comedown for Neill Blompkamp from the excellent district 9 which is probably the science film ever made
    p.s Sharlto Copley was great aswell
  81. Sep 16, 2013
    Great Sci-fi Film.

The special effects are incredible and the story is great. Can't believe that so there is so much variance in degrees of acclaim. This is def one of the best films I've seen in awhile.

I wish you could delete reviews.
  82. Sep 15, 2013
    "Elysium has spectacular visual effects, an interesting story, and a good performance by Matt Damon." Even though Matt Damon has done some "paycheck" movies lately (We Bought a Zoo), I believe he really wanted to do Elysium.

Elysium combines great action with an interesting storyline, good acting, and enough eye candy to give you a cavity.

The visual effects in this movie are
    stunning, and Elysium has some pretty cool gadgets to go along with it. I especially liked Damon's "drilled-in neurological droid suit".

I didn't get Jodie Foster's accent throughout the movie, and I believe she was sort of a weak link, but it didn't really take away from the story, so I guess I can forgive the movie for that.
  83. Sep 14, 2013
    One of those movies like Oblivion where you walk out thinking 'why didn't they just... what was that character doing THAT for...' and not really remembering any dialogue or being that interested in any of the characters or events. The mood and tone is summed up in the first ten minutes when Matt Damon strips off and the most painfully obvious charcoal/ash is there rubbed into his stomach to try and make it look like he has a six pack. Expand
  84. Sep 12, 2013
    I find this movie a bit conglomerated in its story line and just average acting special effects are pretty good... This is a o k movie and worth seeing.
  85. Sep 10, 2013
    Lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, something Elysium reminded me by being so remarkably similar to director Neill Blomkamp's previous feature, the excellent 2009 film District 9. The problem is that Elysium lacks any of the features and story that made District 9 so fantastic. When released convict Max (Matt Damon) is irradiated at work he sets out on a journey to travel to Elysium, a high tech space station made to house the rich and famous while the poor and helpless live on a ruined Earth. To get up to Elysium to find a cure Max must face the brutal defence secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her pitbull agent Kruger (Sharlto Copley). While it does show the inventive and socially dynamic mode of storytelling Blomkamp thrived at with District 9, Elysium doesn't tread as lightly as its predecessor as it plays the 1% card over and over. Blomkamp's attempts to humanise his characters through cliched relationships and convenient bonding moments that feel fake and uninvolving backfires. The action heavy plot is clever and should be a science fiction fans dream plot but when the action actually breaks out the fighting is so frenetic thanks to an overeager editor that all the action becomes blurry and hard to watch. Damon is good but is straddled with a crop of bad performers bringing the proceedings down. Most notably is Jodie Foster who phones it in as a manipulative bureaucrat with her eyes on, surprisingly, more power. Foster always mounts the fence when it comes to overacting but here she leaps over it in a single bound. Copley's villain is a treat and he really is horrible making him shine with an odd sense of wonder but its not enough to fill in the films many plot holes and problems meaning Elysium was not paradise at all. Expand
  86. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find it rather amusing that Matt Damon, who himself has a net worth of probably 100 million dollars, keeps pushing the socialist agenda. When do people ever learn that there are no evil rich people, and no poor, underprivileged masses Nobody and nothing in the world can keep you from doing what you want. There is no secret or hidden agenda by governments or by wealthy people or large corporations to keep the masses stupid.
    The movie: well, I think pretty much everybody wanted to leave the theatre about halfway through. I wish I had, because the second half of the movie was just awful noise, which went on and on and on. The premise was not all that bad, but they did not show any of the daily life on Elysium, which would have been a nice contrast to life on Earth, which seemed to exist of exclusively Latinos living in the dirt.
    That said, I wish I had been on Elysium instead of the movie theatre.
  87. Sep 8, 2013
    Watched this Blomkamp’s sophomore feature film in theater, to some extent I was underwhelmed by his universally-acclaimed debut DISTRICT 9 (2009, 7/10), it seems that his novelistic intention overrides his implementation, notably his screenplay (this time he is the sole writer for ELYSIUM), the premise is always rosy and aspiring, but in the Sci-Fi territory, if the writer cannot justify the surrealistic world he creates with a certain holistic perspective to cover obtrusive plot-holes which are unavoidable byproducts out of the limitation of one’s imagination, very likely bathos will be the consequence.

In ELYSIUM, setting in 2154, Blomkamp inherits his visual motifs from DISTRICT 9 (the skeletal robot resembles an agiler Prawn) and enlarges the cosmic extravaganza by erecting a pristine man-made extraterrestrial homeland for upscale class meanwhile the seething dystopian of a scuzzy and overpopulated earth is an upgraded version of the refugee camp for The Prawns in Johannesburg. Howsoever the film’s box office prospect (a tepid response from the critics and its North American income is also disheartening, $82,877,000 so far), it is a bold decision for the production company to invest and purvey a wunderkind’s second film with a costly budget (reported $115,000,000) for an original Sci-Fi actioner.

Accumulating an almost 4-times funds than DISTRICT 9, Blomkamp could summon Hollywood top-tier names to guarantee more tickets-buyers which backfires, however his South African kindred spirit Sharlto Copley continues undertaking a chief role as the brutal outcast ex-agent, whose ambition pans out to be even more vicious than the ostensible villain, the combo of Damon and Foster is a whimsical but diverting one, but due to the ill-fated procession of the story, they don’t even share any scenes together, Damon is always a good Samaritan without memorable charisma to single himself out and Foster caricatures herself to a routine militarist with bizarre accent.

All the earthbound stratum is comprised of Latinos (save Damon here), Moura, Braga and Luna is certified foil around Damon’s amenable hero, contrasts sheer with the high-and-mighty White race in Elysium, robot-like but dons haute couture, speaks French and enjoys a disease-free technology. The omnipotent machine stands out as the sole excuse for earthlings to go to Elysium (actually only for those who are sick or disabled), since the lucky immigrants who stow away from earth to there (19 minutes by aircrafts, a rather facile maneuver) will all be effortlessly captured and repatriated back to the globe, so why they make a fuss over risking their lives in an ill-fated journey? Also the entire re-programming and rebooting scheme is a heedless product of a wholesome mind and cursorily conducted for the sake of being assimilated as any of its same kind. Unfortunately there are many equivocal set pieces like this pervading the entire film which restrains its potential to be a bona fide awe-inspiring eye-opener.

But on the other hand, imagination is contingent on the real world where germinates all the possible routes to extend and maximize our capacity of creation, the world in ELYSIUM could be our worst nightmare comes true because it touches on the basis of our undying prejudices on individuality and the callousness and irrationality looming over the inexorable gap between the wealthy and poor, as I mentioned in my review of DISTRICT 9, Blomkamp will always be on my radar as the new blood in the massive assembly line, time is all he needs to hone up his expertise and mostly essentially is to be on the lookout for a distinctive screenplay, he will fabricate his own CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10) one day.
  88. Sep 8, 2013
    I just got back from seeing "Elysium", and I must say, this film is probably the best sci-fi film I've seen all year. Not only does it have stellar visuals that are a mixture of Practical Effects and CGI, but it also has edge of your seat action, brilliant themes and an amazing antagonist. The main plot follows a Utopian space station paradise called Elysium, where the rich live to escape the dystopian overpopulated post-apocalyptic earth. Elysiums Secretary of Defense, Jessica Delacourt (Jodie Foster), is militant in stopping refugees from arriving on Elysium and will do whatever it takes to get her way/. Max De Costa (Matt Damon), a man who gets radiation poisoning and decides that he will do anything to reach Elysium, where he can be cured. Delacourt hires sadistic mercenary C.M. Kruger (Sharlto Copley) to stop him from achieving this feat, and Copley puts in a simply amazing and memorable performance

The film does have a few problems. The main character is under developed, apart from a basic outline saying that he is an orphan and former criminal who has ties to a resistance movement. He is show working for a robotics corporation, but it isn't really clear what he actually is. Is he some kind of robotics engineer or simply a factory worker? This is never stated. Jodie Foster's character is underused. I believe she should have had a more prominent role in the film, instead she seems to just pop up here and there, and I don't remember her and Mat Damon actually being on screen at the same time, apart from one scene which was only about 60 seconds long.

Sharlto Copley's character is amazing. He plays this twisted sadistic mercenary rapist perfectly. He seems to also have a unpredictable and bipolar personality, as he seems quite and passive at times and loud and violent at others. I would have liked to hear more about this characters history however, as it is not clear whether this character was also insane or was sent insane by is experiences in war and conflict. The effects in this film are exceptional. It uses the perfect blend of CGI and practical effects and uses them to great effect. The film also features alot of blood, gore and dismemberment, similar to older sci fi films such as Total Recall and Robocop and the much more recent Dredd.

If you like sci fi, please see this film. Even if you don't enjoy it, you will walk away with something to remember.,
  89. Sep 7, 2013
    The movie has an interesting setting, as most dystopian films do. WHat it lacks, however, is interesting characters, factions and dilemmas. Instead of being some sort of moral or ethical engagement, it just ends up being a platform for action-man Matt Damon to beat things up and cause explosions. Some people might like that. I personally wanted something a bit more thought provoking. Even a battle between different politically orientated faction would have sufficed, but all we got was what amounted to a cartel vs the World government, which was never named and was just shown to be run by the rich, end of story. What I am trying to say is that the movie lacked any kind of depth, I guess it was fine as some sort of dumb summer action flick, but it was just so average in it's delivery, I could see what it provided in any other movie at almost any other time. The film was not emotionally investing. Below average, but not specifically bad. Expand
  90. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Elysium, set 2154, is a futuristic sci-fi film featuring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, and Sharlto Copley. From the same director of District 9, Elysium displays the corruption of planet earth, pretty much the same way all movies show future earth. Using overpopulation, fires, and riots, on the destroyed streets and buildings, Elysium was not as original as I would’ve hoped.

The rich don't have to live with this though. For a certain price, you can buy your way on to the "perfect" planet. On Elysium, there is no disease, the freshest air, and everyone is rich. Throughout the film, we follow Max (Matt Damon), who has five days to live due to radiation poisoning. As for Elysium, they do have a president, but Delacourt (Jodie Foster), pretty much runs the planet and makes orders against the laws of Elysium. Max gets special gear installed into his body making him a "super human" and battles his way to Elysium for a hopeful cure.

Though the film kept me entertained with its solid fight scenes and great acting from Damon and Copley, it didn't seem like anything new in this category of movies. Jodie Foster was really insignificant in the film and her role could have been played by any actress or even actor as far as that is concerned. I will say that at first, I wasn't a fan of the ending, but it really kept me thinking after the near 2 hour film ended.

Even though Max died in the end, I realized that he died happily, knowing his death was for the greater good of saving humanity on planet earth. In the end he found his calling and significance of his life’s impact on others. I was really into the movie, and I felt like I was in a game at some scenes following Max during gun battles. Sometimes the camera would get so shaky though that the audience could lose focus of Max, and could not follow him or any character for that matter on the screen. There were some points in the movie that were in slow motion. As Max’s gun was being fired, the audience could see his emotion in the scene, and follow the bullet shot.

Overall the film kept me captivated and really made me think about what the world will be like as I grow older. I went into Elysium expecting a rather predictable ending, and I was actually surprised with some of the twists and turns the film took. Elysium was one of those fun to watch movies that leaves you thinking about the ending on your way out of the theater.
  91. Sep 4, 2013
    In Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields are the blissful utopia where all good souls will come to rest. In this film, Elysium is a utopia that exists side by side with a wretched dystopia, which is our very own planet Earth. Earth is overrun with poverty, disease, and decay, a place where a preponderance of visible minorities hold miserable jobs and lead miserable lives. Matt Damon as Max is a poor orphan who grows up on Earth to become a reformed car thief working in an unsafe factory, and he longs to take his childhood girlfriend to Elysium.

Because the planet got so polluted and run down by the year 2154, the filthy rich evacuated to a giant space station that exists just outside the atmosphere, clearly visible from Earth, in the shape of a round wheel that is a country in itself. It has its own president, President Patel, apparently the only non-Caucasian who has made it to Paradise, and every citizen of Elysium lives in the lap of luxury with beautiful homes, exotic gardens, sumptuous meals, and clean air. Every household is waited on by obedient robots, and every household contains a med bay, which is an enclosed box with a plastic lid where a sick person lies down, gets diagnosed by a computer program, and then is instantly cured of every affliction, disease, and malady that can possibly beset humankind. The med bay not only cures, it grants immortality, barring an accident or other calamity. Desperate, downtrodden, and ill citizens of Earth try to make illegal runs to Elysium in outdated space shuttles, just to gain access to a med bay.

Playing the role of cold-blooded Secretary of Defense Delacourt, Jodie Foster is horrified by President Patel (Faran Tahir), who has an interest in human rights, even though he does not exactly go over the top with his philosophical beliefs, given that he has no interest in improving the lot of the masses back on Earth. Some Elysians visit Earth for business reasons, and John Carlyle (William Fichtner), is the CEO of an exploitative company that treats employees like slaves; as a result, Carlyle has to spend quite a bit of time back on the polluted planet. Foster's Secretary of Defense is cruelly ambitious, and she wants to stage a coup to overthrow President Patel and make herself president. For that she needs Carlyle to write a computer program that will topple the present regime of Elysium by resetting the country's entire computer system with new instructions.

Since this is science fiction, and rather engaging science fiction at that, much can be forgiven in terms of some of the logistical details. For example, when a society is as technically advanced as Elysium, will the Secretary of Defense really get her text messages on a tiny screen on her watch? Even Sean Connery's Bond could have done better than that. And when the evil John Carlyle writes the ultimate computer program that will shut down Elysium and put Delacourt in power, would he really be writing the program in assembler language in the year 2154? I could have sworn I saw the assembler language STO command (for storing numerical values in registers) rolling by on Carlyle's computer screen. And does Delacourt speak fluent French because it is a pretentious skill for the rich or because Jodie Foster graduated from a French lycee in Los Angeles?

But the movie is carried by Matt Damon, who does not disappoint. As Max, he is strong but tender, courageous but meek, and heroic but timid. He protects the girlfriend he's been true to since childhood. But more significantly, he seeks a proper distribution of income so that the repressed citizens of Earth can enjoy the same rights, opportunities, health benefits, and the blessed serenity of the rich and overprivileged dolts who are the good citizens of Elysium. It is the Day of the Revolution.

Although the plot is somewhat predictable and a little too violent, this movie gets extra points for being philosophically sound.
  92. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Elysium answers the question "What if yuppies colonised Halo?" The residents of the eponymous space station are portrayed as a caricature of the American elite, swanning about their marble mansions and swimming pools in polo shirts and sports coats like they've gone for a weekend on Long Island. They are juxtaposed with citizens of Earth who live in overpopulated, arid slums, working and dying in their droves with no access to the health care and lifestyle enjoyed by the wealthy.

Elysium seems the latest in a string of post-apocalyptic/science-fiction blockbusters starring A- list actors. Tom Cruise had Oblivion, Will Smith had After Earth, Brad Pitt had World War Z. This time, Matt Damon is the hero. Elysium comes at a difficult time to stand out from the crowd, but this is the sophomore feature of director Neill Blomkamp, who wowed audiences four years ago with District 9.

The theme again is apartheid like social divide, extrapolated to a scale to reflect the same occurrences in the present day. On one level, this is how citizens of wealthy countries go about their daily lives, often with utter indifference to the suffering of those in poorer parts of the world. This is dystopian fiction in its purest and earliest form. But then perhaps Elysium is not saying anything new.

More intimately, this is the relationship between classes within less economically developed cities, where the wealthy live in gated communities, guarded by private security firms against the poverty and volatility of the city slums. This is the case in Mexico City, where the LA scenes were filmed, and in Blomkamp's native Johannesburg. Even the wealthy citizens of present day LA are to be found in the gated communities of Beverly Hills, far from the low income urban sprawl.

Though the divide is of wealth, the classes are represented racially and culturally. Elysium residents are mostly, but not exclusively Caucasian. When they are not speaking English, their language is French, characterising the Elysium citizens by drawing on the perceived high culture of France, which once influenced the elite of the antebellum South.

On Earth, the dominant cultural identity is Hispanic, a future imagined as a result of unrestricted immigration from Latin America. Society has failed Max Da Costa, played by the capable Matt Damon. He has grown up an orphan, and spent time in prison, and now works in a factory building the police robots that abuse him in the streets.

The crux of the matter as far as the plot is concerned seems to revolve around access to the nigh on magical properties of the Elysium medical bays, which appear to be located in the homes of every citizen. Whilst this clearly represents an uneven spread of medical resources, it seems that living and working in the slums of Earth would become infinitely more tolerable if the most extreme of ailments, from Leukaemia to radiation sickness, and presumably, the health problems associated with a lifetime of breathing Earth's polluted air, could be cured immediately, and automatically, at the drop of a hat. The device even offers total, instantaneous facial reconstruction, yet these features are largely wasted on the already healthy Elysium population, who treat these resources as glorified tanning beds.

Elysium takes its name from the ancient Greek afterlife, or at least the part of it traditionally reserved for the righteous and heroic. The citizens of Elysium are anything but. Most of the residents are happy to live their lives without sparing a thought for the Earth-bound masses, but some take it a step further. Secretary of Defence Jessica Delacourt (Jodie Foster) is cold and calculated, and doesn't bat an eyelid when she orders the destruction of two illegal refugee ships, and immediate deportation of the occupants of a third. Whilst she acts outside of protocol, this goes to show what lengths some citizens are capable of going to in the defence of their borders. Soon, she plans to stage a coup against the more moderate President Patel.

For all Delacourt's coldness, she pales in comparison to the true antagonist; the vicious, psychotic mercenary Kruger, who starts out working as an agent for Elysium. Kruger is played by Blomkamp's collaborator, South African Sharlto Copley, who played the leading man in District 9. Kruger is the polar opposite of bumbling bureaucrat Wikus van der Merwe. Due to his extremity, Kruger is dismissed from employment at the start of the film, but is quickly tasked with hunting Da Costa down on Delacourt's behalf.

The film does not shy away from the graphic depiction of violence and brutality. The futuristic weapons are more likely to explode their victims than anything else, and this happens more than once. Along with the dirty, dusty streets of LA, this gritty realism contrasts with the futuristic veneer of Elysium, and sets the film apart from other sleek, sci-fi thrillers. As such, Elysium exists as a slightly superior summer blockbuster.
  93. Sep 3, 2013
    You cannot accuse Elysium of being dull, however it does lack the same poignancy that made district 9 such a brilliant film. It is well crafted and the se design is beautiful. The film boasts fluid action sequences and sharlto Copley shines as the villain Kruger. However with all the great special effect and the big budget blomkamp's last film lacked, Elysium falls quite short of the mark. Jodie foster feels rigid and uncomfortable in her role as Delacour, the film's few emotional scenes seem disjointed and out of the place, but worst of all is this film really doesn't have anything to say, with District 9 we were given a study of social class, a way those the lower classes are treated or how those who belong to a certain race are treated, it shows how people are blind to the way certain minorities are being treated until the become part of that minority, at best this film showed the gap between rich and poor, but that was only looked upon briefly before going on to the story of max, you could argue that the message at the end is "never forget where you come from" but that itself is a very cliched message, in conclusion this is a good action film but blomkamp fans or those expecting more will feel slightly disappointed with Elysium Expand
  94. Sep 2, 2013
    If you like Sci-Fi, then this is a great story.
    Enough money to make a good film and perfect actors.
    The prblem is the redicoulus hand shaked camera as soon there are some action and there are lot's of it. Sometimes they are in picture, but of the time not. It is really bad that it is a trend to destroy good movies by shaking the camera so much that you get car sick watching.
    I will not
    see any more movie with that director. Expand
  95. Sep 2, 2013
    I enjoyed it. I came in expecting something like District 9, but I also didn't come in with high expectations, mostly because I didn't really follow the film. Enjoyable action elements. I thought the plot was enjoyable, but without the setting it wouldn't be much to look at. The setting I thought was cool and interesting. There seemed to be an effort and subtly showing a culture in the film, which I thought was neat. I definitely recommend it. And for those who enjoyed District 9, I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy this film. Collapse
  96. Sep 2, 2013
    Just saw this yesterday and feel like I really wasted my $17.00 for this. The message of the film could have been delivered with a little more imagination--the downtrodden non-citizens even spoke spanish and looked hispanic. There was nothing new except for extreme parallels set in a futuristic setting that's been done before. The fight scenes were overdone and boring. The end was completely predictable. The only good thing was Matt Damon and Jodi Foster. Expand
  97. Sep 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all honestly this movie was pretty damn poor. I spent several hours ranting about the flaws with the people I saw it with, so I've kind of drained by angry rant reserves, but this is what I remember most. There were many glaring flaws, and out right stupid systems, that made absolutely no sense and were just thrust at the reader. Many events added little to the plot and characters, and never really went anywhere. The love story: The romance was cliche, and repeatedly forced on the viewer through flashbacks to scenes they had just seen, I mean I didn't forget every line of dialogue over the past thirty minutes, its not like I need to see it all again.. jesus. The promises to get there someday, I mean sure that would be okay in a Disney film, but that level of sap is pretty bad what in seems to try to be a political sci-fi action thriller. Matt Damons job: Not to mention it never goes anywhere... but I could spend a long time trying to analyze just why this part sucked, but its really not worth it, as I'm sure someone else has done it much better than I could. One of the biggest problems was... the world made no sense. Why was Matt Damon even employed in a factory cranking out human like robots, who were immune to the radiation he contracted? Just make a batch of robots and fire everyone... jesus, why are you using slow, radiation and fatigue prone human workers? You are literally producing tens of thousands of super effective, tireless workers on site.. It would have taken one line of something like "you're all lucky the government subsidizes us using humans!" or "You should be happy these things are more expensive to run than you are, or we'd just cut you out of the loop" and that would have added much more depth to the world, with the over taxed earth government, and the greedy soulless corporations just wanting to make a profit. Instead we're left to try and fill in the gaps ourselves, or just feel dismayed at the lack of depth in what could have been a great world. The whole med pod free health care runs fiasco: The illegals boarding the shuttles and flying up to Elysium, then jumping out and running into houses was beyond contrived. Apparently, this was a regular occurance, yet no one in Elysium thought to perhaps start tracking the shuttles with their crazy space-radars and maybe have their huge Droid force waiting for them on the ground? Assuming this was beyond them for whatever reason, you could either put some damn locks on the houses and make the windows out of something other than glass?!?! Idon't know about you but If I was somehow rich enough to live in the heaven like paradise of an orbital resort, I'd probably invest in some stronger windows after the third time some panicked disease ridden plebeians smashed through my sitting room window with my own chaise-lounge. Or, if you don't want to ruin the look of your house, why the hell are there med pods in every house? How often are you dying of cancer, or need to be 10 years younger? Every other day? Jesus, I mean, I could see using it at most every few moths... and only then if you were deeply neurotic. Just have a couple med booth facilities lying around, and just put a lock on the damn door... jesus. The entire DARPA arsenal: Basically the entire weaponry line up looked like it had been put together by 14 year olds who got a hold of a DARPA concepts slideshow, and thought "Wow this is cool" and then spent tens of millions on CGI, banking on the pseudo realism of their awesome future guns to carry the entire film. Jodie Foster: Who looked at the finished product, and thought "Boy, I'm sure glad Jodie's in this movie!" I mean.. christ, from the acting, to the dubbed french, to the poor writing of her character, I don't understand why any of this made it through to the final cut. The Exo skeltons" Why were these in the film? There were only two points where they did anything besides look cool, and that was when Matt Damon punches a droid to death, and when Kruger opens a door. Neither of these had any significance to the plot, Damon could have used a gun, or just ran it over with the car, or a million other things, Kruger could have used a freaking lightsaber or a melty grenaded and achieved the same result. Yet another "this looks cool, lets add it" situation. The battle on Elysium: What the hell happened to all the droids we'd seen earlier? Why was there no security? How could three deranged mercs take down the entire HQ of space command? ----------- The med pod ships: --------- Why did they have these huge medical ships full of medpods just sitting around? Since everyone in Elysium had one in their house... I hit the Character limit, and I'm just getting started. I could spend so long on why this movie is childish, and inane, District 9 was thought provoking and made sense, the explosions weren't the plot, the world made sense. 6/10, only for the CGI. Expand
  98. Sep 1, 2013
    Although the camera is a bit shaky, this film just does it for me. I dont understand why people would give bad reviews on this.The other people around me in the cinema enjoyed it. They laughed at the humor. They sniffed during the end after a few tears were shed.

If you havent seen this movie, WATCH IT NOW!
  99. Aug 31, 2013
    Elysium is an exciting sci-fi thriller with a good story and stunning visuals. The dual backgrounds of life on a decaying earth about 41 years in the future and the alternative safety and opulence enjoyed by the very rich on Elysium is so perfectly balanced that one is completely engrossed in the whole rather than being interested in only half the film. Matt Damon, following on from Bourne, continues to be a good investment as an action hero and Jodie Foster, with an intriguing accent, is fascinating as Elysium's gatekeeper. There are also some wonderful visual compositions and the special effects are sometimes stunning. On the evidence here one can understand why people would want to live on Elysium. The film remains on a constant level throughout due to rapid fire editing and music that adds volumes in creating the gamut of emotions that run through the film. It is fair to say that this is a more conventional movie than Neill Blomkamp's previous one, District 9, but is is also more digestible. Expand
  100. Aug 31, 2013
    Mr Blomkamp has already proved himself with his first feature District 9, a real, emotional alien story with great acting and writing all round but his latest release Elysium sadly falls short of greatness. Set in a poverty struck world, the rich superpowers build a clean new world called Elysium in which all disease and evil is struck leaving the world below it to crumble. I'm sure you have guessed what the story may be as I did after a short amount of time into the film but to the films advantage it didn't play out as I had originally thought. The film starts off slowly as did District 9 letting you get to know world and characters but I felt some what bored with Matt Damon going around and doing his jobs. As soon as Sharlto Copley's character was introduced and the main plot of the film started to kick off it seemed very promising but it was still dry. I'm not sure if it's because it that all the things that made the film seem really cool is wasted and nothing really happens in the movie, it just stays at one level were as it should have been building to something greater. The only reasons to see this films is for Copley's performance or for the pretty backdrop. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Aug 22, 2013
    Nothing in the movie matches the fascination of its premise and its opening 10 minutes: the undisturbed status quo is mesmeric. Once the narrative grinds into gear, however, the film's distinctive quality is lost.
  2. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 22, 2013
    In lesser hands, Elysium might have played like a Lib Dem manifesto with extra spaceships, but the South African filmmaker wants to explore ideas, not wave placards, and whether or not you agree with the film’s politics, the fire in its belly is catching.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Aug 9, 2013
    Blomkamp overdoes even his best effects. (I would have welcomed more vistas of Elysium to break up the grungefest.) If Elysium is an example of how recession-era Hollywood intends to dramatize the rift between the haves and the have-nots, let’s hope the studios don’t also bring back Smell-O-Rama.