Emma

8.7

1. Jul 31, 2014
    In Jane Austen’s EMMA, our protagonist Emma (Paltrow) is a 22-year-old keen matchmaker in rural 1800s England, especially when she successfully acts as a go-between between her governess Miss Taylor (Scacchi) and the middle-aged widower Mr. Weston (Cosmo), at their wedding, she is determined to find a proper suitor for her kind-hearted but diffident friend Harriet Smith (Collette), thisIn Jane Austen’s EMMA, our protagonist Emma (Paltrow) is a 22-year-old keen matchmaker in rural 1800s England, especially when she successfully acts as a go-between between her governess Miss Taylor (Scacchi) and the middle-aged widower Mr. Weston (Cosmo), at their wedding, she is determined to find a proper suitor for her kind-hearted but diffident friend Harriet Smith (Collette), this time her aim is Mr. Elton (Cumming) from a rich family.
    continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks!
  2. BobbieH
    Jun 28, 2009
    A wonderful movie with beautiful scenery and dresses and a beautiful love story. One to watch over and over... My favorite line: "And now, for the cream."
  3. AlexaR.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Vey good, loved the book, loved the movie!

Yet in its high spirits and wicked good humor, Emma is a delightful film--second only to "Persuasion" among the modern Austen movies, and funnier, if not so insightful.
    Emma lacks the depth of passion present in the other Austen films, but, in large part because it's trying for something lighter and breezier, it's still fun.
    McGrath's script is faithful: fierce when it needs to be and devilishly funny.