8.0

1. Jan 26, 2011
    At times I felt like Smith was trying to be Denzel, but one I got past that Enemy of the State is one heck of a good thriller. I love Smith but am so used to seeing Denzel doing a Scott movie that it felt like this movie was more meant for him and had a hard time giving Will a chance. Yet I pushed forward and after about 10 minutes began to enjoy the comedic aspects that Smith brought to the screen (something Zel wouldn't have brought). The plot and the movie move along at a blistering pace but still allow for character growth which makes Enemy of the State a true classic in the thriller genre. Expand
  2. Jun 16, 2014
    Runaway films have been mesmerizing movie goers for years, but this film right here is the king of all runaway films. This is, by far, Tony Scott's best film. It is an action thriller that grabs and holds your gut from beginning to end and never lets go.
  3. Aug 26, 2012
    Quite an enthralling and captivating film. It does take a bit of time to get going but once it does it keeps the pace pretty well until the end. If I have one criticism, it
  4. May 21, 2012
    Enemy of the State is a mostly harmless chase thriller with one or two great scenes (NSA goes Italian!). The movie is solid throughout but is ultimately unmemorable. Not the strongest of Tony Scott efforts but it's certainly worth watching at least once.
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    It's sad to think that Tony Scott, master of movies like these, would commit suicide in 2012. Like in this movie, he crafts everything in his films so well and with a patience some directors can't find. This movie is very exciting, enticing, and interesting. The villain is the usual protective, corrupt government that will try to kill anyone who knows too much, but other than that, this is a great movie. Expand
  6. Jul 24, 2014
    The late Tony Scott's Enemy Of The State reminds me a lot about of 70s movies like The
    Conversation. Smith and Hackman are great for eachother as the leads.
  7. Nov 14, 2014
    If there is one of Tony Scott's films I would 10 star, this is it. Of course his repertoire is stellar. Enemy of the State is perhaps one of the most divulging films of the secretive spying State to have hit our consciousness. Yet 16 years later we seem as a whole to care less about their intrusion into our lives as we did then in our ignorance.
    Of course Snowden revealed so much of what
    Scott divulges in this mega paced, brilliant masterpiece. It is thus easy to understand his so called suicide during the making of another expose film might just have been taken from this film's storyline.
    Today we are beset with even greater evils as they crawl out from under the shadows, however I recommend this film to everyone as it never loses its shine no matter how many times one watches it. To students of the game, it is essential viewing.
    God rest your beautiful soul Tony and may your delivery of truths behind the veil at least help waken up generations to their self made prisons and release the desire left to us at the end of this film. We need it more than ever...

The social criticism is as unforced as the humor (and the references to "The Conversation") in this 1998 conspiracy thriller, whose spirited action is balanced by an almost contemplative attitude toward surveillance phobias and the movie cliches they've spawned.
  2. Reviewed by: Ron Wells
    The strong parts are the rip-offs of "The Conversation." The worst part is the lack of understandable character motivations.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    The picture is solidly crafted, performed to the hilt and full of humor.