Enigma

6.7

1. ChadS.
    Jun 28, 2002
    "Enigma" is an agonizing near-miss(for me). If you find the story hard to follow, it'll drive you crazy because everything else about it is perfect. The movie is smarter than me, perhaps. But what I do understand is that Kate Winslet gives an Oscar-caliber performance. Screenwriter Tom Stoppard (Arcadia, a play) is a brilliant writer. I don't dare accuse him of incoherence.
  2. Chad
    May 24, 2004
    I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews here. I just rented this movie and found it very enjoyable. It's a bit old fashioned in its pacing but I found that refreshing.
  3. JohnE.
    Dec 27, 2002
    Solid, A bit dull.

1. All these good elements have resulted in a movie that is not so much awful as mediocre, disconnected and ultimately incomprehensible.
  2. Stoppard and his director, Michael Apted, must be aware of how dry their film is, because periodically they work in little thriller divertimenti -- car chases and such -- that only serve to point up how un-thrilling everything is.
  3. The mystery of Enigma is how a rich historical subject, combined with so much first-rate talent -- a highly capable (if not always exciting) director, a fine English cast, a script by Tom Stoppard -- could have yielded such a flat, plodding picture.