6.5

1. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another eco-friendly film from Blue Sky Studios, Epic (2013) is certainly not something I expected. At first I am not delighted to watch its contemporary elements because I thought this film would set in a medieval times. Never mind that but the first quarter or half horribly failed to captivate and it is too boring to bear so I dropped it and re-watch it a week later in a better mood.

In the end, it actually has a pretty interesting concept but I strongly dislike the fact that they name this film epic because it is nothing close to that word. Epic means very great or impressive or heroic/grand in scale or character; if you watch this you will understand how I feel. Gorgeous visuals as usual but this is truly misleading; an injustice and this film doesn't live up to its title.

PS. Love their voice casts though.
  2. Jul 23, 2014
    Good fun and some beautiful art make this a good watch. There aren't enough funny moments though. My girlfriend loved this film though so that automatically made me enjoy it more !
  3. Jun 17, 2014
    I don't know what else to say except it's unoriginal and somewhat boring. It's just everything but epic. I wouldn't really recommend watching this movie.
  4. May 26, 2014
    The movie is great and fun to watch! The pace of the movie is a little slow paced but still a good film. If i were an international critic i would give this 8/10. Great movie.
  5. May 11, 2014
    One of the best animated movies I have ever seen. Not only was it action packed but it was a visual masterpiece. The story was engaging and heart warming. Visually it was stunning and incredibly beautiful. By far this was an incredible film and epic stunning journey.
  6. Apr 21, 2014
    Epic is both a step forward for Blue Sky Studios and a step backward. On one end this film is epic with a cool mini-war, interesting animation, and an adult story (sometimes). However, what holds the film back are the generic kids movie elements that pervade all Blue Sky films some dumb kids humor, generic characters, and a cliché and predictable story. I’m glad I saw it and it did entertain me but at the same time it is nothing spectacular. I thought this world and the conflict was cool and it is what kept me engaged throughout the film. Its worth checking out if you are interested. Kids may or may not like this film. They could be frightened by the dark and adult moments or they could get through that ok and love all the dumb jokes and writing geared at them. Again not a bad film it does have some entertainment value but at the same time this is not like a Pixar film or the better Disney movies where you need to go see it. So if you have some time on your hands give it a watch and prepare to be mildly entertained. Expand
  7. Apr 7, 2014
    Epic was ok, but nothing Epic about it. When you have a name like Epic you should bring something more special.The movie does have it`s moments, and I thought it was fun to watch, but failed to have that it moment.
  8. Mar 10, 2014
    Basically this is Ferngully meets Lord of the Rings, kinda. There really is nothing that special in this movie. Animation is OK, Voice acting is OK (Collin Farrel kinda sticking out.) Script and plot are nothing we haven't seen before.

Overall:
    Really nothing special. The movie is OK and does have a few good moment, but on the whole it really isn't anything special or even memorable. I
    wouldn't say give it a miss, but I also wouldn't say go out of your way to watch it. Basically, this a decent movie to watch, when there is nothing else available. Expand
  9. Mar 1, 2014
    I can not give more than 6, because it was a bit boring and predictable, this beautiful and realistic animation, but the plot no. Honestly, the characters were not good, ie, their performance was greatly exaggerated, so this rating remains with Blue Sky and hopefully a little bit more esfuerze next time, you know, with Rio 2.
  10. Dec 21, 2013
    What I did not like that almost any child who was with me in the room laughed at times dianvulaban few giggles around the room from time to time and that there are many scenes that try to be funny (do not make mission), the final and as you know from the 20 minute course. The good thing is that it leaves a clear environmental message: take care of nature, if you do not care we're doing wrong, the plot and some characters (because some people are a bit copied from the saga of Tinkerbell) That if you try to copy to. many respects to the Tinkerbell movies. Expand
  11. Dec 14, 2013
    I don't know why they called this film "Epic." It's more like a simply titled "A Movie of Epic Proportions." That's not the case. Here's the good news: "Epic" is a family-friendly adventure filled with incredible CGI animation, fantastic 3-D graphics, and a mixed bag of "Rio" meets "Ferngully" style. The Bad News is that "Epic" is going to be nowhere near of great family films this year like "Escape From Planet Earth," "Despicable Me 2," "Monster's University," and now "The Smurfs 2." The film itself has taking too much pressure to release the film early for the summer movies to begin. The story in "Epic" is less entertaining (although some were that can't outmatch 2011's Rio), the voice acting is okay but I find it a bit too cheesey for a movie that got shut out thanks to Fast & Furious 6. Beyonce's a great singer and actress on her behalf, but "Epic" just feels a little short and that might've cost her a little, Amanda Seyfried very good actress but not good enough, and Josh Hutcherson (I really can't wait any longer for Catching Fire to come out this Thanksgiving) pretty much the same but very underrated. I think I'm gonna rent "Epic" because I'm not saying it's a bad or a so-so movie, it's very decent but a good family movie to watch or rent instead. Wait a minute! Didn't Fox just released another Epic movie called... Epic Movie? (starring two douchbags who don't know when to quit doing spoof movies over and over again.) Expand
  12. Oct 25, 2013
    I really had high hopes for this movie, it had all the good elements decent characters and catchy story line. I was rather disappointed for the end. Call me sentimental, but the guy didn't get the girl and I found because of that the end was patchy and left me feeling rather displeased and disappointed with the ending.
  13. Oct 12, 2013
    So "Epic" isn't exactly epic, but it is a perfectly fun little animated movie that will enchant younger watchers. Thanks to its all star voice cast all performances are excellent. The animation is fantastic, bright, and colorful. Truly a treat for the eyes. The plot is decent and there are some pretty humorous moments, but overall it doesn't live up to some of the better animated movies out there. Just like most animated movie of this variety kids will love it. Adults will be able to appreciate it for the overall quality of the movie, I don't think they'll find it as great as some of Pixar and DreamWorks animated movies, but it wont bore them when they watch it with their kids. Overall it's a decent little film that kids will love and adults wont find miserable to watch. Heck a lot of adults might like it just as much as their kids do. Expand
  14. Sep 22, 2013
    I vacillated between giving an epic a 5 or a 6 and whilst I realise this is metacritic most people knee jerk to 0 or 10 I've finally come down on the side of 5.

It's pretty but empty; horribly stereotyped with (some) poor voice acting. There is a lot to say about it's generic a cliched story and characters but. But...

At this point of typing I've realised I just don't care enough
    finish this. And yes, I really do appreciate the irony in this 'review'. Expand
  15. Sep 20, 2013
    This was good. This was enjoyable. The comedy relief is funny. The love story is done well. The ending is a feel good ending. In the end, a nice family movie.
  16. Sep 3, 2013
    Blue Sky Studios, an animation company most known for the Ice Age series has created in Epic a film of astounding beauty with a story that feels both original and fun despite the fact it is based on a novel by William Joyce. When the queen of the forest (Beyonce Knowles) transfers her powers to a pod about to bloom, lead leafman and sworn protector of it Ronin (Colin Farrell) is tasked with protecting it with M.K (Amanda Seyfried), a human who has been shrunk to help the people of the forest defend the pod against Mandrake (Christoph Waltz, the leader of a group of creatures intent on destroying everything living. Epic is unexpected, exciting and clever and when the script isn't spewing out cliched dialogue about grief and loss, its actually quite funny with a story worth following. Unlike the rest of this years animation crop, Epic is a different animal, a light hearted adventure story just like the rest but displayed in a way that makes it original, especially in terms of the animation which helps establish this hard to believe yet wonderful world. Director Chris Wedge, the director of the original Ice Age has yet again created a world worth revisiting as it is ripe with potential. Filled with an impressive voice cast, Epic is just pure fun for kids and adults as it messes with the viewers sense of scale to create an adventure like none other. Expand
  17. Aug 20, 2013
    While the animation is decent, "Epic" suffers from the fact it just looks like it was phoned-in. The story is boring, the characters are lifeless and I found I just couldn't find myself caring a single shred over what happens to the characters in this movie. Finally, the cast brought in to bring life to the animated characters could not have been more wrong for the film as they either are just bad voice actors or they just don't look like the voice that should belong to the character design. Expand
  18. Aug 14, 2013
    It's "epic" all right... "Epic"-ally boring. I had Fern Gully swimming around in my head the entire movie. Although it took on an environmental theme, the storyline did not convince me that it was fighting the "green fight" the way it had intended. The voicing was OK. The animation was average. If you find yourself nodding off during the show, you are not alone.
  19. Aug 14, 2013
    "Epic" shows promise for at least the first twenty minutes, until it reaches the average and ordinary cliche's that many kid movies have attained, with nothing more to impress. While the first twenty minutes proves to show a generally convincing personality from the protagonist, MK, the storyline for her falls a little flat afterwords. The film then follows a generic good-versus-evil story MK falls in love with a misfit, the good guys win, bad guy loses; with the saddening issue to how it never takes deep twists and turns. Despite this, the character relationships are done fine; the relationship with MK and her father work out well, while relationships between MK and her love interest Nod, or Nod and his mentor Ronin, feel a bit too familiar. Along with this, the humor gets a bit tedious after the well done first twenty minutes occurred, similar to "Despicable Me 2", and drags out a bit. Though the story is awfully predictable and generic, the emotional connections and plot elements are well done at times, and the ending result adds to a little (very little) bit higher than average. But overall, Epic really doesn't add up to its name. Expand
  20. Aug 9, 2013
    If I had to judge the film based on the amount of effort put into the animation, color and smoothness of textures I'd give a 10. Though I was constantly distracted by the plot which left much to be desired. It's understandable that this is a film for kids but it only appeals to those of a short attention span and I would even see some kids eventually get bored of the humor projected mainly from the slugs. Characters who had very little involvement in the plot managed to achieve undeserved roles near the ending when all they did was say a few lines and disappear for half of the movie compared to other characters who did all the work and all they get is a pat on the back and sent away when they were no longer needed. Don't get me wrong, the film would've been amazing if they worked a little more on plot development than just throwing in random occurrences to get the story to move along. Expand
  21. Jul 6, 2013
    This was a pretty entertaining movie most of the time. I like the animated movies but for some reason I found this movie kind of boring... What it was I can not say story line, animation, voicing?). Over all above average but not exceptional.
  22. Jul 3, 2013
    It wasn't the best animated movie I have seen lately but definitely enjoyable for the whole family with an interesting story line. Kept us entertained.
  23. GFC
    Jun 23, 2013
    Alright so I saw the trailer for this movie and I got excited. Epic looked like it was going to be an above average film. But when I went there it was just a complete bore. Its has the typical characters that you would expect and an unoriginal Idea. Remember ant story or whatever it was called? Also this movie got to repetitive with its action scenes. They were the exact same every time. This is a movie I think you should all avoid unless you are very curios. Expand
  24. Jun 22, 2013
    Epic is anything but epic in almost everyway. The movie so unaspiring that about 30 minutes into the film you just don't care about anything that is going on. A film to see with your kids once and then never again.
  25. Jun 19, 2013
    This is a fantastic movie not only it entertained the kids but also adult as well. Its beautiful creativity and imagination have took me to a whole new world of imagination. It's a mix between the adventure of Avatar, the battle with a meaningful insight of the story and the beautiful animation for the kids. I would fully recommended to family and friends.
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    Not a good movie. Lacks on story and characters. And did I mention story is not that good?? Took my 6 year old daughter to see this as she loves going to the movies. First and only movie (so far) she asked to leave before it was over. Very boring. Skip it
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    A good looking, but boring animation. I'd say about twenty minutes in to this film I started to just not care about The Leaf men or those things they were fighting and yes the story with the girl and her father somewhat matters overall whatever.
  28. Jun 15, 2013
    It may not be very original, but Epic is still one of the best animated movies I have seen in recent memory (and the best effort from Blue Sky to date). A whriling, twisted, exciting, and fun moral tale that is visually epic. Its' solidly voiced, it has its' hilarious moments, and it has some nice messages about family reconciliation and the like. Plus the story is much more well-written and emotionally deeper than any of Blue Sky Studios' other offerings. But Epic's stunning animation is truly worth the price of admission alone. There's also a clever reference or two to Disney movies such as The Lion King and Aladdin.

The movie is also a clean adventure you can take your whole family to see. Sensitive kindergarteners and under may be overwhelmed by the battle sequences.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com
  29. Jun 10, 2013
    A very good diversion for small children, and worthwhile for accompanying adults as long as they are comfortable with fantasy. It is well-filmed and well-executed, and the pacing feels about right for summer fare. It is not highly original (e.g. Ferngully, Arthur and the Invisibles, etc.), but is fine enough update on older concepts to be satisfying. There is decent humor that resulted in both children and adults laughing out loud in the theater, and the action sequences are great for boys in the audience. No doubt, the princess references are fine by the little girls as well.

In summary not the best, or even a great, animated film ever, but it has something for everyone.
  30. Jun 8, 2013
    A case of gross mis titling as Epic is anything but. It is in fact just a below par toon full of cutesy characters, predictable plot points, good vs evil, boy meets girl, blah, blah. There is no faulting the imagination in the animation as is generally the case in these types of film, but this one feels particularly adult resistant. There are a couple of good scenes( the meeting with the deer, and the dog chasing the lead characters round the laboratory) or moments one in particular is very funny), but mainly it's an exercise in irritating tedium. I particularly disliked the father, and the snail and slug should have been trodden under foot. Expand
  31. Jun 7, 2013
    I won't lie when I say there was no real reason for me to see epic. I don't have children and I'm not necessarily an animation junkie, but I don't mind trying out the latest computer animated films as more times than not they have a certain high degree of quality to them despite their markets current over-saturation. Besides epic, which has the distinction and the advantage of opening the summer movie season for the kiddos, we have the annual Disney Pixar offering which this year is a prequel to one of my favorites of theirs, Monsters Inc. as well as the sequel to 2009's surprise animated hit from Illumination Entertainment Despicable Me which could end up wiping the floor with Dreamworks Turbo that opens a few weeks after Gru and his minions no doubt dominate the fourth of July weekend. And while epic will seemingly only be on the same quality level as that forgotten before it gets here Ryan Reynolds vehicle it still has some good qualities going for it. With epic, Blue Sky studios (the Ice Age films, Rio) has delivered a completely creative and imaginative world of characters that suffer only from the lack of originality that is delivered through its story. This may be due to the fact that five different writers collaborated on the screenplay or simply because when you break it down to its simplest form it is as classic a tale of good vs. evil as there ever could be. I don't mind this because it has a few other layers that make the story a little more engaging if not being a little too subtle for the target audience. Still, despite the fact that epic is sometimes unintentionally funny when at its most serious and often can feel like a direct to video feature, it looks like a big studio film and has enough creative juices flowing in its character and production designs that we can forgive it's laziness in terms of story, for the most part.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  32. Jun 4, 2013
    I agree it’s not a movie you watch “again and again” but I like this whole “let's connect with the nature” message. It entertains the kids, you have a few laughs, and the story (while common and predictable) pretty nice. It’s not comparable with other Blue Sky productions like Rio, but after watching Ice Age 4 the change of scenery it’s quite refreshing.
  33. Jun 4, 2013
    "Epic dares to be original, unique and well creative, but its not. It offers very little to most adults while only "truly" entertaining the children. Its Blue Sky animations worst movie to date and on the low end of the animation spectrum, I expected more" C
  34. Jun 2, 2013
    Where hollywood goes this film has more meaning and story in it that the vast majority of films produced by big studios.

The story indeed has some stumps on it, but overall its beautifull though it leaves you wanting more.

Epic will remind many out there of Brian Froud who designed creatures for amazing films such as The Dark Christal" and labyrinth" and although he had no part in
    this film, the creature designs, the colorful majestic scenery will keep even adults enthralled throughout the film.

As I watched I kept wondering how this film would have been in ol' 2d and what my imagination conjured was magic itself.
  35. Jun 1, 2013
    The animators who did the "Ice Age" series and "Rio" have tried to go classy with this fantasy about a miniature kingdom of plants, animals and creatures in a battle for the beauty of nature. A young human woman gets involved in their world. The plot drags it down. It's too complicated & too talky. The art direction is sometimes attractive, but some of it is weird. The snappy humor and wacky characters that make their other movies such fun is almost non-existent (only Chris O'Dowd and Aziz Ansari provide any laffs). The whole thing is adequaate, but not much more. Expand
  36. May 30, 2013
    Wasn't as childish as I thought it would be. However, it certainly loses out to other animated films by Pixar, Disney and Dreamworks. I felt that everything seemed too coincidental; the day of the queen transferring her power coinciding with the time when Mary went over to the exact location of the queen. It was as if the producer had made it that way just to cook up this movie. Other than that, not TOO bad. Enjoyable if you don't go noticing all the loopholes. But it lacks emotions and there are some boring parts. If you want to watch it, get ready for something not quite epic. Expand
  37. May 30, 2013
    It's just was not that good a movie overall. I felt that the movie's plot was not that good; no shocking twists or turns. Just a predictable flow of events. I heard that the CGI was going to be awesome, but I just did not get blown away. and it barely made up for the bad script. I still don't get the name of the movie. I don't see the theme being reflected in the movie itself. Or maybe what the producers meant was that the movie was going to be epic. If it was, then it didn't show. Expand
  38. May 29, 2013
    OK animated movie. Sometimes beautiful, often banal. Visually imaginative and arresting but I am getting really sick of the endless iterations on the "child alienated from his/her father coming together in a joint endeavour" routine they roll out in virtually every kid's movie these days. In this movie, that particular plot-line was completely gratuitous and fairly irritating. The best thing in this was the three legged dog. The worst thing was the smarmy leaf queen. Nevertheless, the movie has its moments of wit and humour, and on balance, this is not a bad show for slightly older kids. Small ones will not be able to follow it, as it it is edited like a Star Wars movie, and there are some sequences that might be a little scary. Expand
  39. May 28, 2013
    The cast of voice actors and actresses for this movie are pretty impressive, but to no avail. This movie falls flat on it's face with every line and action being nothing but cliche. Yes, it's hard to really create something new with so many ideas already thought, but I believe this movie hardly tries to be anything but a friendly movie for adults and children to watch together. Something to put on while so your kids take a nap. Expand
  40. May 28, 2013
    I have to give this movie a pass (barely) because the animation is spectacular. The 3D is excellent as well. As far as the plot goes, we have yet another bumbling father figure obsessed more with his work than his daughter, and the daughter is whiney and naggy. The story is a composite of Star Wars, Avatar, The Littles, and several Hayao Miyasaki movies. Nothing original. The film desperately needs more humor. The snail and the slug are the best part of the film but don't have enough screen time. With a little more time spent on the script this movie could have been great, as the art direction department definitely did their job. Expand
  41. May 27, 2013
    I was truly torn by this movie. On one hand it was stunningly beautiful and the animation flowed at the high standard I have put for Blue Sky Studios. On the other hand I loathed the main characters. I honestly feel as if the movie would have been so much better if the Lead male role was either replaced by the secondary male role or just didn't appear. The movie asked me to like a character that was shallow, vain and disassociated from the main conflict, and still wanted me to like him at the end where his "emotional change and growth" really wasn't big enough to warrant any change in how I perceived him. All in All this is a very good looking film but that doesn't make up for the massive deficiency in character development. Expand
  42. May 27, 2013
    This is basically the "Brave" of 2013. Thinly plotted, cramped with too many characters, and ends all too quickly. The plot is also very predictable. There are better animated films you could watch, but this is alright entertainment.
  43. May 27, 2013
    This movie is great, for an animated movie. It contains a history that is moving, with a great message, a wide array of characters, great sound and visuals, good battle scenes; for a kid movie; and a relation that is most humorous, along with some twists that would make the people who like to guess the end of the movie before it arrives; me; feeling that their money was well spent for the possibility of good endings, is pretty wide.

Another great feature of this film is the vast amount of messages and interconnected stories that can make a great teaching in the hands of someone who can take a simple phrase or an action and turn it into a teachings. A relation father-daughter with the stress it can give when distance and grieving is involved, or the rebellious soldier who is always shrugging his duty, and many more that would make this movie a great candidate for owning and re watching.

I would definitely recommend this movie to all of you who want to spend a nice time and take away something beautiful in the process, or even if you don't take away anything, just the beauty of the green combined with the music make it worthwhile.
  44. May 26, 2013
    Epic is a fun movie with a great message about the environment. the movie works for kids and adult as well. This is away for kids to learn about the importance of the world around them and that everything is connected. This movie does a great job in giving this message even to adults. I say grown take your children and well have a great abd fun time rooting for the good guys.
  45. May 25, 2013
    It's cool, it's funny and its sleek. Epic is epic. So. Epic is a children's movie that takes place in a abnormal kingdom- Hidden Kingdom where everyone is afraid of The King except the forces who fight against him. A little girl shrinks accidentally by a potion that her dad made- Honey I Shrunk The Kids there!- who studies forest life. The girl digs deeper and helps the kingdom's peoples. To speaking the truth, this is the best cgi animation so far in 2013. The story is colorful, dark and tense with very very fun. Voice Actors include a huge cast of A list actors and B list ones too. In the end, Epic is funny, smart and innovative. You should not miss this creative movie. It's just not a kids movie. It's a kids movie alright but it does it job well. Expand
  46. May 25, 2013
    EPIC

Epic is a 3D computer-animated feature from the makers of Ice Age. It is based on William Joyce's childrens book The Leaf and the Brave Good Bugs. It stars Amanda Seyfried (Les Miserables), Josh Hutcherson (Hunger Games) and Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained). It's about a teenage girl who is magically transformed into the size of a bug upon encountering a hidden world of
    creatures living deep within the forest. She finds herself thrust into a battle with a race of tiny warriors and must help them stop a heinous force of evil from killing all of the life around them.

The world in which this movie was set was very imaginative and creative. While I found it to be visually stunning and the 3D animation to be quite amazing, the story itself just didn't quite hit the mark. It was more dark and dramatic than most other animated films I've seen. It was somewhat morbid for a movie geared towards children and any moments of comic relief were few and far between. Mostly, I felt it was lacking in the depth of the characters and therefore left me a bit uninterested at times.

I liked most of the action sequences and it was fun to watch in 3D. While some of the attempts at humor fail to cause laughter, there were some funny moments with a duo made up of a slug and a snail played by Aziz Ansari (30 Rock) and Chris O'Dowd (Bridesmaids). Aside from the visuals, they were the highlight of the movie.

On the upside, when walking out of the theater, I did hear a lot of the children saying they enjoyed the movie.

In my opinion, Epic is a little disappointing and doesn't quite live up to its title.

This movie also features the voices of Colin Farrell, Jason Sudeikis, Steven Tyler, Beyonce Knowles, Pitbull, Judah Freelander, and Blake Anderson.

My Grade for this film: B-
  47. May 24, 2013
    I wasn't really quite sure about this movie. After watching the tesar trailer I thought it was going to be really awesome. Then once I saw some of the commercials, I wasn't quite sure. But after watching this, for what it's worth, it's an enjoyable movie. It does have it's awesome moments like from the tesar trailer, then it has its moments like from the commercials. But lets get to the positive things about this movie. First off, the battle sequences in this movie were amazing. And when they really try to show you the world of the forest, it feels like your watching "Avatar." But when you have characters like the slugs, that's when the movie starts to loose that good quality feel. I honestly thought the slugs would actually be somewhat funny, but honestly, they weaken the movie with there quirkiness. It's really hard to give this movie a rating when you have really good action and animation and really bad characters and quirky moments. But overall, it's still (somewhat) of an amazing movie. But I will not say it was Epic. Expand
  48. May 24, 2013
    Spectacular quality. Hidden Kingdom is very busy and super colorful and very funny. Also more action and battle scenes are very well done. Now I know why the movie is called Epic.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 6, 2013
    The ratio of humor and action and parent-child bonding is so formulaic, and the character design and molded-figurine-like animation so typical of the genre in the age of Pixar (and Pixar imitators), that Epic evaporates from the mind within minutes of leaving the theater.
  2. Reviewed by: Jenny McCartney
    May 27, 2013
    The diminution works its appeal once again in Epic – the latest film from the creators of "Ice Age" and "Rio" – which is just as well, because the rest of the narrative follows a rather predictable route.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Rose
    May 27, 2013
    What stands out is the animation. The microcosmic woodland world is luminous and detailed, and there's a nice disconnect of scale whereby humans appear as lumbering, slow-motion giants.