5.1

1. Jul 28, 2013
    Erased was a halfway decent movie but it failed to deliver on many accounts. For one, the plot was incredibly weak, and this was a surprise because the premise had so much potential. The concept of an ex-CIA agent turned blue-collar guy trying to make a living but getting duped by a shell company and having to fight for the survival of he and his daughter seemed very interesting. However, the failed execution due to poor writing where the only way the plot either progresses or reaches conflict is through character stupidity is a let down. The acting was solid by the entire cast, though I think Olga Kurylenko was underutilized. The action sequences were pretty legit as well. All in all, it's worth a free watch but if I would've paid money to see it, I would've been pretty disappointed. Expand
  2. May 18, 2013
    Most people can only watch the same movie so many times. But Philipp Stölzl is clearly hopeful that when you’re done with “Taken” (and “Taken 2”), you’ll want more of the same. Should that be the case, this undistinguished but decent knockoff is ready to satisfy. Aaron Eckhart takes the Liam Neeson role as Ben Logan, a former CIA agent who lives in Brussels with his teenage daughter, Amy (Liana Liberato). He’s been working on some technology patents, but one day he shows up at the office only to find that it no longer exists. Nor, more to the point, do any of his colleagues. (Though mostly inspired by “Taken,” writer Arash Amel borrows freely from a range of thrillers, including “3 Days of the Condor” and various Bourne adventures. Soon Ben and Amy are on the run, as assassins hired by a shady corporation try to separate them, kidnap her and kill him.
    Stölzl makes nice use of his Belgian locations, with each violent confrontation becoming yet another wrong turn in an increasingly lethal maze.
    But, finally the film is slow paced but does chill and thrill. The thrills aren't actual thrills but still Taken 2 sucked ass in front of Erased.
  3. May 18, 2013
    It's not a bad thriller. Clearly a low budget movie, but Aaron's performance is good and the story movies at a fair clip. i'd recommend it. Special mention has to be made of tLiana Liberato who is very convincing as the daughter. It's much more real than other spy movies.
  4. Jan 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Been in something of an action thriller mood lately, but this film had me to the point where I actually groaned at some of the scenes. I'm not sure why they needed to the gimmick of having the daughter be on the rollercoaster with her CIA father, but it ruins what little they may have gained with Aaron Eckhart in the lead role.

Often times when I see an actor or actress doing something wrong in terms of how to accurately portray emotions without appearing over the top, I blame the director, especially in an instance where I have seen the same actor nail a more difficult and confusing emotion. There are too many scenes in this movie where the players feel like they are being forced to try too hard. The worst offender (be it her own fault or not) is the young Liana Liberato some of the emotional change ups she conveys are just too unrealistic, even for a 14-15 year old girl that she is supposed to be playing. It would appear though that the director didn't coach Aaron in his role (which would make sense given as much star power as he has these days), as it seems he's the only one of all of them that gives a consistent and overall good performance.

Erased, was likely a labor of love, for the writer Arash Amel and much care was taken to give the dialogue an authentic feel, however the delivery of the lines makes them feel campy and clichéd. Too bad that the director had to ruin his own movie so much.

1. Reviewed by: Michael Posner
    May 31, 2013
    Erased, I predict, is a word that will be used to describe what happens to your memory of this cloned facsimile of a movie immediately after watching it.
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    May 19, 2013
    The result: Characters we genuinely care about are lost in a movie that almost dissipates before our very eyes.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    May 17, 2013
    Erased is eminently forgettable.