8.8

1. Apr 12, 2015
    An incredible blend of romance, comedy, science fiction, and drama, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an incredible film. Director and writer Charlie Kaufman continues to prove why he is one of the most talented people in Hollywood with this one as the direction and writing are both perfect. The entire cast is great, but especially Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, and Kirsten Dunst. TheAn incredible blend of romance, comedy, science fiction, and drama, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an incredible film. Director and writer Charlie Kaufman continues to prove why he is one of the most talented people in Hollywood with this one as the direction and writing are both perfect. The entire cast is great, but especially Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, and Kirsten Dunst. The cinematography and limited special effects here are also pitch perfect. A meditation on love and memory, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a film that sees a man learn he can erase the memory of a girl from his past and forget they ever had anything and after learning she has done the same to him, he opts to go for it, but quickly discovers that he does not want to go through it.

*spoilers*
    Overall, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind argues that it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. Though love hurts and the end of it can leave you broken, the good memories and even the bad ones are part of who you are and, as such, are invaluable. If they just did not happen, you would lose a major piece of yourself. The nonlinear narrative of the story also poses an interesting question on the repeating nature of love and history as a whole. If we are unaware of it, we are doomed to repeat it. Finally, the film argues that though love may hurt and leave us with sad memories and "scars", it is ultimately worth it it, because of the good they can cause.
    *end spoilers*

As a whole, those reasons and more are what make Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind such a fantastic film and one that is sure to touch you in some way.
  2. Feb 23, 2015
    I guess i deserved this movie.....I was trying to escape The Help......and then they dangle this in front of me....Should have never watched The Help.....maybe this movie will kill me....jesus christ she has blue hair..? i would do this procedure if only i had some g d money.....get OUt a there Jim Carry..You were already hurt by Matthew Broderick and Television.....your getting dennisedI guess i deserved this movie.....I was trying to escape The Help......and then they dangle this in front of me....Should have never watched The Help.....maybe this movie will kill me....jesus christ she has blue hair..? i would do this procedure if only i had some g d money.....get OUt a there Jim Carry..You were already hurt by Matthew Broderick and Television.....your getting dennised here and you pretty much were dennised in 23...and guys came and took the girl with heart from you on the beach...being honest i'm skipping ahead to the second act....-JRA Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2015
    For a person who is not a big fan of Romances i must say that movie just grab me.The writers did a really good job Kate Winslet was awesome very good performance she hit me in the ground with that role a cute girl a little bit wild and crazy very impulsive and emotional and Kate Winslet totally nailed.But im little confused about Jim Carrey im not sure why i didn't like it in that movieFor a person who is not a big fan of Romances i must say that movie just grab me.The writers did a really good job Kate Winslet was awesome very good performance she hit me in the ground with that role a cute girl a little bit wild and crazy very impulsive and emotional and Kate Winslet totally nailed.But im little confused about Jim Carrey im not sure why i didn't like it in that movie was it because of the character that he play maybe because he was a little unsocial and sad and i just can't imagine Jim Carrey in role like this i don't know but i didn't like it .And that's probably one of the few things in the movie that i didn't like everything other was good the story was very touching the movie show us that side of love that is probably purest and strongest.When two persons chose to continue their lives together no matter what.Bought of the characters in the movie saw every bad habit every pain every embarrassing moments every bad side in other person but they chose ignore that and to stay with the things that make them SMILE.The things that make them happy and the moments when they tease each other when they open them selfs in front of the other person and he accept them .They chose not to thrown away with easy hand this deep and important feelings I think that's beautiful.The movie really touch you and drawn you in lot of emotions.Deserve Watching. Expand
  4. Jan 22, 2015
    Everything gets tied up a little too nicely at the end; but that doesn’t stop it from being a great film. This is not a typical story taking twists and turns that were unexpected and prevent the film from being generic. The romance between Joel and Clementine felt genuine and was something that I genuinely wanted for Joel. The same goes for the relationships of the other characters. TheEverything gets tied up a little too nicely at the end; but that doesn’t stop it from being a great film. This is not a typical story taking twists and turns that were unexpected and prevent the film from being generic. The romance between Joel and Clementine felt genuine and was something that I genuinely wanted for Joel. The same goes for the relationships of the other characters. The film is also well shot and directed helping to nicely illustrate Joel’s dilemma. This is a great film that I would highly recommend just bring some tissues. Expand
  5. Jan 1, 2015
    Everything about this film i love. I think this was the first film that i felt really emotionally touched by. It's concept is great and explores it's themes in a surreal and beautiful way. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are great in it, and the multi stories of love being dealt with in the film covers many different types of love. The directing is great, and the director made sure there waa aEverything about this film i love. I think this was the first film that i felt really emotionally touched by. It's concept is great and explores it's themes in a surreal and beautiful way. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are great in it, and the multi stories of love being dealt with in the film covers many different types of love. The directing is great, and the director made sure there waa a sort of uncertainty and eeriness over most scenes which can reflect how love is also, never knowing which way it's going to go and knowing they can affecr your life dramatically. Great film, i love it. A MUST WATCH. And i pretty much never really liked the romance genre due to it be all to soppy and predictably boring. This is how romance film should be undoubtedly! LOVE. Expand
  6. Nov 17, 2014
    The first time I watched this, I was a little too young to understand how much depth this film actually has. A few years later, I watched it again and I must say, I cried like a baby. This is one of the few films that left me befuddled, awestruck and emotional. It was so refreshing to watch a whole new approach on romance and it really is incomparable. I love everything about it; theThe first time I watched this, I was a little too young to understand how much depth this film actually has. A few years later, I watched it again and I must say, I cried like a baby. This is one of the few films that left me befuddled, awestruck and emotional. It was so refreshing to watch a whole new approach on romance and it really is incomparable. I love everything about it; the acting, cinematography and screenplay. Gondry undoubtedly made a memorable film. Highly recommended. Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2014
    Before this movie I hated Jim Carey, now I think he is fantastic. He is wonderful in this film. Honestly I can't fault this movie in any way, except that it created less tears than American Beauty did. The narrative is beautifully written, and every performance is lovely. I love this film.
  8. Oct 11, 2014
    Thanks to some vibrant imagery and clever optical trickery from Michel Gondry and the fantastically innovative screenplay from Charlie Kaufman, "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" elevates itself above the common romantic rabble.
  9. Sep 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poo tee weet. A tale of two ex-lovers incapable of getting over each other the normal way so instead elect to do it with science. The movie ends where it began, lacking any resolution whatsoever and proving that their unhappy relationship will prevail, leaving me only with disappointment and a dejected "ok".

With that said, Winslet's acting is great, and the cinematography is beautiful. But I can't recommend this to a friend.
  10. Aug 26, 2014
    Joel, played by Jim Carry, skips work and goes for a walk on a beach in a cold winter day. He meets Clementine, played by Kate Winslet, and falls in love with her while both are unaware of a common past that connects them together. In their relationship, Joel and Clementine experience love, happiness, intimacy as well as hate, sadness, and insecurity.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is not a just love story, it is spectacular take on why we love and hate others, why we remember and forget, and why we make connections and we break up. Joel shares his most intimate and private moments of his life with Clementine to stay connected to her, moments that makes him feel embarrassed, weak, or insecure (for example, the flashback to the bird scene). These little details in their relationship seems unimportant in short run and their efforts to stay connected seems futile because they are not changing anything immediately. In the long run, however, these trivial moments are the main reason behind their behavior, decisions, moods, and emotions (for example , Jim Carry decision to take a different train). The more they open up and the more private moments they share, the stronger the bond between them becomes.

This movie complements the Joel and Clementine story with other characters' stories who are experiencing similar problems in their relationships. The development of their story makes this movie even more engaging, and extremely fun to watch. Kirsten Dunst' character and her relation with her colleagues, particularly, questions morality of certain actions that seem innocuous and helpful in first glance but can have unintended consequences.
  11. Aug 15, 2014
    A complicated film yet so delicate, with a surprise cast of Jim Carrey who shockingly revealed his true talent. A Unique but a sensational love story.
  12. Jul 24, 2014
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 8 out of 10: Screenwriter Charlie Kaufman is in a league of his own. If cloning is ever allowed in the United States we need to clone Mr. Kaufman. (If there is any community that will embrace cloning it will be Hollywood. Name any other place in America where nepotism is a religion. Hiring your own clone is the ultimate in nepotism.)

Charlie

Charlie Kaufman has found that fine line between realistic dialog and interesting dialog. Characters talk, fight and fall in love just like they do in real life. But unlike most movies that try to mirror real life speech Kaufman makes it interesting. (Of course it helps that Kaufman's always throws in the bizarre such as adulterous homicidal book authors addicted to sniffing Angel Trumpet or people entering John Malkovich's head.)

Now just imagine if a Kaufman clone could, oh I don't know, help George Lucas write romantic dialog. (If there is anyone who occupies the opposite side of the good dialog screen writing scale it's Lucas. His dialog is so wooden it would embarrass a marionette. Plus think of the Variety headline "Kaufman Clone helps pen Clones")

Oh the movie. Eternal Sunshine has some great performances especially by a subdued Jim Carrey. (This should surprise but after his brilliant turn in Man on the Moon, the only real surprise is how with his quiet desperate performance you forget its Carrey.) There is a really good subplot about the goings on at a mind erasure clinic. (The movie sensibly sets it up as a no big deal four-man operation like one of those laser eye surgery places in a strip mall.)

And there is a really realistic romance between Carrey and Kate Winslet that blows most movies away. Currently ranked thirty-second greatest movie of all time by the IMDb. Eternal Sunshine is one movie you won't be able to get out of your head.
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    One of the most unique romance movies of the last decade. Jim Carrey is one of his best roles and Kate Winslet delivers like always and a great supporting cast with Kirsten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson, Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood. Superb direction by Michel Gondry and writing by the smart Charlie Kaufman
  14. Apr 11, 2014
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is my favorite movie of all time, although it is not for everyone. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is (obviously) my favorite Jim Carrey movie and also my favorite Kate Winslet. It is also probably the best written and best edited movie I have ever seen. I love the rainy and trippy atmosphere, I love the acting, I love the soundtrack, I love howEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is my favorite movie of all time, although it is not for everyone. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is (obviously) my favorite Jim Carrey movie and also my favorite Kate Winslet. It is also probably the best written and best edited movie I have ever seen. I love the rainy and trippy atmosphere, I love the acting, I love the soundtrack, I love how confusing and hard to follow it is, and I love how real everything feels. It is an amazing movie. And I would recommend it to everybody who can handle a trippy and confusing movie. This is my favorite movie of all time (that I have seen so far) and I would obviously give it an 8/8 Expand
  15. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind is a strange, beautiful and painful resulting in creating a masterpiece! The performances are emotive, the soundtrack is glorious, and the plot is as imaginative as beautiful. The script is surprisingly effective, all this weird creation can work as well thanks to the emotional center that gives the director to the movie making it a classic film Expand
  16. Feb 10, 2014
    touching. it is my one favorite film from my favorite films. I can suggest this film If you want to leave your home and go to this story. story is amazing, sometimes you will be sad but after this film you can understand some differences between real life and dreams..
  17. Jan 6, 2014
    Um dos romances mais belos e originais dos últimos anos
  18. Dec 31, 2013
    When into the movie without much expectations, and it completely floored me. This movie was just incredible, every actor played their part perfectly and the creativity and artistic talent that went into making this movie is astounding. I'm not usually one for romance movies but damn you have to watch this, never seen a movie like it.
  19. Oct 10, 2013
    Possibly the greatest romance movie ever. Incredibly touching, with a well thought out plot. This movie makes you think, It makes you relate, even if you don't want to. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet put on a performance that is outstanding, you don't even question their mismatched relationship because its so authentic. A must see movie for everyone.
  20. Oct 2, 2013
    This movie was amazing! I loved the characters and I thought it was a refreshing change of romantic comedy. It really toughed base with the meaning behind a thoughtful relationship between one really odd couple. This movie really does express the meaning behind two opposites attract.
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    An imaginative and unique work of art. This films cast delivers their comedic dialogue perfectly, along with stunning imagery and visuals, phenomenal acting, touching and heartbreaking moments, a breathtaking soundtrack, and a masterful script. With its unclear ending and its "easter eggs" that you find throughout the film, "Eternal Sunshine" has you asking questions and coming toAn imaginative and unique work of art. This films cast delivers their comedic dialogue perfectly, along with stunning imagery and visuals, phenomenal acting, touching and heartbreaking moments, a breathtaking soundtrack, and a masterful script. With its unclear ending and its "easter eggs" that you find throughout the film, "Eternal Sunshine" has you asking questions and coming to conclusions the likes of which may go forever unanswered. The abundance of melancholy in the air just makes the movie so much better. The characters are some of the most personable and lovable characters I have seen since "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower." Their personalities consist of many traits that are noticeable, but one of those traits is over exaggerated to the point of making seem like caricatures, which makes their problems seem so much more important, making them so much more relatable, making them seem like long lost family members, which makes their emotions just so important to you. Emotional preparation is mandatory before watching this film. There are some scenes that just break your heart, it's just called good filmmaking. This beautiful film has put it's mark on cinema forever and will be always known as an instant classic. Its a masterpiece. Expand
  22. Sep 17, 2013
    What can I say? The movie was cast brilliantly. Jim Carrey can act, and so can Kate Winslet. Kirsten Dunst turns out a rare performance where I wasn't disappointed with her. It was a pleasant surprise to see Mark Ruffalo in his character. The plot flows seamlessly. Two people, who are far from perfect, in love with each other. And the psychological hurdles they face to hold onto eachWhat can I say? The movie was cast brilliantly. Jim Carrey can act, and so can Kate Winslet. Kirsten Dunst turns out a rare performance where I wasn't disappointed with her. It was a pleasant surprise to see Mark Ruffalo in his character. The plot flows seamlessly. Two people, who are far from perfect, in love with each other. And the psychological hurdles they face to hold onto each others' memories. I'm glad I got to watch a psychological thriller with a laid-back, humorous tone. One of those gems of movies you shouldn't miss at any cost. Expand
  23. Sep 2, 2013
    I'm usually not really digging melodramatic-oriented movies, but this one is pretty touching and it was really interesting for me. I believe that a little bit of fiction makes this one so amazing. the cast is great, Carrey and Winslet made some memorable characters, others are awesome too. The storyline has some twists closer to the end, so yeah, I can recommend this movie to anyoneI'm usually not really digging melodramatic-oriented movies, but this one is pretty touching and it was really interesting for me. I believe that a little bit of fiction makes this one so amazing. the cast is great, Carrey and Winslet made some memorable characters, others are awesome too. The storyline has some twists closer to the end, so yeah, I can recommend this movie to anyone because it's really worth watching. Expand
  24. Aug 7, 2013
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is a story about a couple who obviously don't get well with each other and so the women goes to a doctor who can erase her memories of the men. When the men learns about that he wants to do it too. It is an interesting idea but in the beginning the film is too complicated, strange rare and hard to understand which will confuse many people. Jim CarreyEternal sunshine of the spotless mind is a story about a couple who obviously don't get well with each other and so the women goes to a doctor who can erase her memories of the men. When the men learns about that he wants to do it too. It is an interesting idea but in the beginning the film is too complicated, strange rare and hard to understand which will confuse many people. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were amazing and that surprised me as I am used to see Jim Carrey only in comedies. The cinematography is amazing as well as the direction of that film but it is a little bit confusing which is something I really didn't like. Yes it it touching and passes the message that we have to give a second chance to some people. But it is still over complicated for the kind of these films yet it is a new idea. Expand
  25. Jul 27, 2013
    This is easily in my top 3 favorite movies. It's a good story about destiny and how powerful the heart truly is. I tear up every time I see this and for good reason. I have heavily recommended this to all of my friends and always will
  26. Jul 16, 2013
    Entertaining romantic movie with a Jim Carrey that doesn't disappoint. I'm on fan of Jim Carrey but watching him in a more serious role is quite refreshing. The movie tends to drag a bit towards the end but overall I'd say it's a good watch for anyone who is looking for a romantic movie with some humour and a thought-provoking theme.

They should have probably explored the science and

They should have probably explored the science and ethics behind the subject of erasing memories but that would have made it stray too much from its romantic subject matter, no doubt.
  27. Jun 28, 2013
    One of my least favorite movies ever. The message is stupid. Watching it once was painful enough. All the actors should kiss their careers goodbye. I hated everything about it.
  28. Jun 15, 2013
    There are so few perfect movies. This is one of them. One of my all time favorite movies. So funny yet intelligent and romantic. It gets better every time you watch it.
  29. Jun 8, 2013
    So perfect! Brilliant in every way...the script, concept, editing, direction, cast, characters, acting (especially Winslet and Dunst)... I honestly could not have asked for anything more from this film. Nominated for 2 Academy Awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Actress, this film is certainly one of the absolute best films of 2004! Incredible film! One of my all time favorites.
  30. Apr 11, 2013
    Such a deep and heartfelt movie is rare today. Jim Carrey's acting is fantastic. A masterpiece.
  31. Mar 14, 2013
    This was just a delight. It was clever, it was original and it was downright emotional on so many levels that that have made this a timeless classic.
    Eternal Sunshine tells the story of socially awkward Joel (Jim Carrey), who is detached from his surroundings and everything going on around him, until he meets Clementine (Kate Winslet), a confrontational and free spirited woman who he immediately hits if off with, simply because their worlds couldn't be further apart.
    The film is told in a very much non-linear fashion, and this is set up through the apparent break-up of the happy couple, Joel soon learns that Clementine has forgotten who Joel is, she did this through getting her memory of him erased by Lacuna, a company which deals in this.
    Joel eventually decides to do the same thing and is told the process is done while he sleeps.
    What follows is the true shining moment of the film, as Joel visits happier times with Clementine, to which we soon realise all is not as it seems.
    The supporting cast includes Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood as technicians who carry out the erase part, Kirsten Dunst as the Lacuna receptionist and Tom Wilkinson as the Lacuna doctor, Howard Mierzwiak.
    These characters, however, hold their own unique secrets and revelations that truly create a wonderful piece of cinema.
    Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are simply fantastic as Joel and Clementine and it was wonderful to see these two step out of their comfort zone, Carrey the awkward and unfunny man, and Winslet the free and crude woman. The messages which are put across heighten the beauty and dramatic context of the film that never lets go of the wheel.
    The pace of the story may leave some confused, but this is where the film truly becomes unique, there are so many elements of surprise and so many heart wrenching moments that succeed in creating a truly unique masterpiece, full of colourful scenes and artistic filmmaking that push the film further than many other love stories.
    Its not surprising for many to say that this is one of their favourite films, there is enough drama to last a lifetime and enough talent to surpass your expectations in this flawless gem.
  32. Mar 3, 2013
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!The world forgetting, by the world forgot.Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
  33. Feb 2, 2013
    I can't write in words or explain how good this film actually is. Eternal Sunshine is a heartwarming film with such an original, intriguing narrative that will have you gripped in the first ten minutes. The film gives such a twist on a conventional romcom and I was baffled at how 'serious' yet still likeable Jim Carrey played the main character. Just.... watch it.
  34. Feb 1, 2013
    There is no way anyone could deny just how unique, clever, and original this movie is. The story and the characters are just so fresh, and while I don't think the movie is as ingenious as everyone proclaims, it is certainly a fine piece of cinema.
  35. Jan 5, 2013
    My favorite movie of all time! The script of Kaufman will make you turn in your chair with emotion and feel the beauty of relationships. The direction is Gondry at his best. He simply follows them around during dramatic scenes and uses cinematic symbolism to show the mood. The script jumps through twists and turns until you feel happy and sad at the same time. Jim Carrey will never win anMy favorite movie of all time! The script of Kaufman will make you turn in your chair with emotion and feel the beauty of relationships. The direction is Gondry at his best. He simply follows them around during dramatic scenes and uses cinematic symbolism to show the mood. The script jumps through twists and turns until you feel happy and sad at the same time. Jim Carrey will never win an Oscar due to the fact that the Oscar's will never give a nomination to the guy who was in Dumb and Dumber but him and Winslett deliver powerhouse performances that carry the movies low budget shots. Watch you will not regret it. Expand
  36. Dec 4, 2012
    The serious Jim Carrey definetly payed off. This film was amazing. The science, the script, the cinametography, and the acting was incredible. Especially with a mostly comedian cast. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were the best screen couple of the year and we extremely psycho yet wonderful characters. An Easy A+.
  37. Nov 15, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine offers a traditional love story, while constantly throwing new ideas and brilliant invention at us. It's one of the most original movies ever made, yet it's also classic in the touching way it connects the two lovers.
  38. Sep 13, 2012
    A really nice movie. You have to watch it at least 3 times to understand it fully. It's incredible the effort that the director put into this film...
  39. Sep 7, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the best 'romantic' movie ever made. It's got genius writing, superb acting and deft directing. Despite it's sci-fi overtones, the movie feels incredibly authentic. It's heartbreaking and full of redemptive catharsis. I don't really have the words to put across how moving and brilliant this film is. One of my favorites of all time.
  40. Aug 20, 2012
    Just watched the movie like 20 minutes ago and its took me this long to figure out how good this movie really is. I dont know what to describe it as. So I will leave saying that you cant be narrow minded to watch this movie open your mind. And then you will appreciate the quality of the movie.
  41. Jun 23, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a heartfelt, funny, emotionally powerful, original, heartbreaking, piece of art. It features great performances from Winslet and Carrey, and offers a nice, sweet, fresh, twist on a regular romantic comedy. I give this movie 96%.
  42. May 9, 2012
    An emotional film with important themes and a writer who has once again created a masterpiece. The film is a rejuvination of an exhausted genre. A funny thought provoking deeply sad RomCom. Jim Carrey's performance is also very memorable because of it's dramatic and comedic effect.
  43. Apr 9, 2012
    I cannot describe in words how amazing and beautiful this movie truly is. You have to see for yourself. A movie that I will come back to time and time again throughout my life.
  44. Feb 20, 2012
    Marvellous! Jim carrey proves us than he can be more than a clown. The plot is creative. I can't believe that we were waiting for something as awful as 'the green lantern'' from Gondry afterward, such a waste of talent.
  45. Jan 5, 2012
    My favourtie movie of all time. Everything about it is brilliant. It never gets old no matter how many times you watch it. The order in which the stoy is done is remarkable and makes for a very captivating movie. The soundtrack is just magnificent. It is a truly unique story about love and loss. I've never seen anything quite like it or half as good.
  46. Jan 4, 2012
    Please do not be scared of this film by those ignorant reviews saying that this film is "too artsy" or "to complicated". That is absolute bulls**t. This is one of the best films I've ever seen so I strongly advise everyone to watch it.
  47. Aug 17, 2011
    Perfect. Favourite movie of all time. Showing a deeper and brilliant side to Jim Carrey that is lost with most of his hollywood comedies. Kate Winslet played the eccentric and irrational role of Clementine amazingly. Clever and thoughtful.
  48. Aug 1, 2011
    Enchanting and emotionally-tapping comedy/drama that really made my top movies list. Its story is also one that is...ironically realistic which is all the more touching.
  49. Jun 8, 2011
    This film is wondrously creative, entertaining, clever and thought-provoking. It's based on an interesting premise, it's artistically shot and edited, and the story is told in an ingeniously innovative way. But this isn't half the reason it's so good. At it's heart, it's a brilliantly acted bittersweet love story that avoids all cliches, feels uncannily real and ultimately engages theThis film is wondrously creative, entertaining, clever and thought-provoking. It's based on an interesting premise, it's artistically shot and edited, and the story is told in an ingeniously innovative way. But this isn't half the reason it's so good. At it's heart, it's a brilliantly acted bittersweet love story that avoids all cliches, feels uncannily real and ultimately engages the viewer emotionally on so many levels (which is rare for a Kaufman film, despite the guy's obvious artistic talent). I know a lot of people don't like Jim Carrey that much because he's been in a lot of rubbish stuff, but the guy can certainly act when given the opportunity, and Kate Winslet is simply brilliant. Together they make a wondrously believable couple that I've never stopped to question for an instant. Overall, one of my favorite all time films and an amazing cinematic achievement. Don't miss out on this! Expand
  50. May 25, 2011
    Easily, 2004's best film. Charlie Kaufman delivers us his best script yet, Kate Winslet's amazing acting is probably the biggest highlight of the movie and surprisingly Jim Carrey's acting is not that horrible.
    although the film is pure beauty it seems rather cheap for a 20,000,000$ movie.
  51. May 19, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies without a doubt. I never tire of watching it. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are absolutely terrific together and I cry every time I see it. There is very little wrong with the film.
  52. Apr 12, 2011
    The concept for Eternal Sunshine is simply incredible. Unfortunately, the narrative isn't. The love story should feel genuine, but it never gets fully fleshed out due to subplots that constantly get in the way of Joel's (Jim Carrey) story arc. However, with strong performances from all cast members, interesting visuals and a great soundtrack, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is worthThe concept for Eternal Sunshine is simply incredible. Unfortunately, the narrative isn't. The love story should feel genuine, but it never gets fully fleshed out due to subplots that constantly get in the way of Joel's (Jim Carrey) story arc. However, with strong performances from all cast members, interesting visuals and a great soundtrack, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is worth a watch, at the very least. Expand
  53. Apr 6, 2011
    There are those movies that provide you with two hours of mind-numbing entertainment, and then there are those movies that can change your view on life and human emotions while still providing you with two hours of entertainment. This movie belongs to the latter category.
  54. Apr 3, 2011
    A beautiful, emotional, and completely enjoyable film on all levels. Jim Carrey will make you laugh like he always has. As a matter of fact, every member of the cast accomplishes this on some level, which is wonderful. But the film also has a strong emotional heart. I won't say that I didn't see the ending coming from fairly early on, but that's ok, because I enjoyed getting to that endingA beautiful, emotional, and completely enjoyable film on all levels. Jim Carrey will make you laugh like he always has. As a matter of fact, every member of the cast accomplishes this on some level, which is wonderful. But the film also has a strong emotional heart. I won't say that I didn't see the ending coming from fairly early on, but that's ok, because I enjoyed getting to that ending anyway. Perhaps my favorite part is that they don't answer the question the characters propose at the ending. Because, in all honesty, nobody knows the answer. Expand
  55. Feb 2, 2011
    This movie works on so many levels: love story, comedy, sci-fi, fantasy. It's one that I've watched several times and go something more out of it each time. It's surprising, and yet it all *makes sense*.
  56. Feb 1, 2011
    A perfect concept wrapped around great performances. Kate Winslet, as usual, is spectacular. Anybody who has been in a relationship full of hills and valleys will appreciate this movie and shed a tear or two by the end. A movie to be filed under "original and thought provoking".
  57. Jan 10, 2011
    Did you ever fall in love so deeply and then you just broke up with her/him? That is the feeling you got from watching thiz film. The feeling about how you fall in love with her, and later you realize that time would never come back again. Starred by Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Rufallo, and Kirsten Dunst. Directed by French Director, Michel Gondry. Gondry is one of the directors whoDid you ever fall in love so deeply and then you just broke up with her/him? That is the feeling you got from watching thiz film. The feeling about how you fall in love with her, and later you realize that time would never come back again. Starred by Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Rufallo, and Kirsten Dunst. Directed by French Director, Michel Gondry. Gondry is one of the directors who always brings some absurd stories as his features (such as: THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP (2006), that also I like very much). The story is about how you dreams your past and you can actually feel it as just happens at the present time. Sometimes it happens based on what you remember. Thiz is interesting part, in one of the scene, the two characters (Carrey and Winslet) had interaction with each other but they surrounded by people who had plain/blank face, coz the Carey character don not remember how the people look like, so the scene describes it people with plain/blank face. Director was so lucky to got Carey and Winslet in appropriate time, Carey just desperately wants some serious drama beside his role always known as comedian, and Winslet wants to prove her truly acting skill after TITANIC (1997). Thiz Movie maybe not contains an extraordinary storyline, but can effectively reflects very well the description about how the event occurred.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  58. Oct 17, 2010
    Jim Carey is no Ace Ventura, he is a real and serious actor with enduring qualities. In Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind he shows this in an abundance. The story is just as good as well. It has enough real emotion to keep you hooked and enough dreamy sequence to keep your mind ticking over long after you have finished. That nightmarish image of The Melting Face reminds us we must keepJim Carey is no Ace Ventura, he is a real and serious actor with enduring qualities. In Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind he shows this in an abundance. The story is just as good as well. It has enough real emotion to keep you hooked and enough dreamy sequence to keep your mind ticking over long after you have finished. That nightmarish image of The Melting Face reminds us we must keep memory...for it's all we have. Cinema that would make God happy. Expand
  59. Oct 11, 2010
    Just spellbinding. It's a while to build up and the wait is worth every second. Michel Gondry's direction is on top-form and brilliantly accompanied with a beautiful score and a precise screenplay. The story seems to go off astray but for some reason, that's one of its best qualities. Jim Carrey is at his best since The Truman Show and thoroughly gives a performance that will be rememberedJust spellbinding. It's a while to build up and the wait is worth every second. Michel Gondry's direction is on top-form and brilliantly accompanied with a beautiful score and a precise screenplay. The story seems to go off astray but for some reason, that's one of its best qualities. Jim Carrey is at his best since The Truman Show and thoroughly gives a performance that will be remembered for years. But the carpet from under his feet is Kate Winslet who delivers yet another monumental performance. This is my favourite role she's played because she played someone modern and she was funny at times. PLEASE, more Kate Winslet comedies. I rather liked Kirsten Dunst as the quirky receptionist who quotes Alexander Pope but underneath lies a secret unbeknownst to her. This is probably the best film of 2004 and one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  60. Aug 26, 2010
    a truly unique way of saying that we love who we love, and there isn't much we can do about it. filmed very cleverly, giving the viewer a new experience of the human psyche. a beautiful piece of film, and jim carey is so much better when he's not trying to be funny
  61. Aug 14, 2010
    It seems like the movies I enjoy might not have the absolute best acting or plot, but are unique in a number of ways or make me think. This movie is no different. Not perfect, but a really good movie.
  62. ArtiomP.
    Jan 16, 2010
    To bad there are only fiew of such films.. The abstractism should predominate into more movies, because there are less people who understand them, but they could understand more, why not?
  63. JoeH
    Jan 8, 2010
    Kaufman is a genius, nuff said.
  64. FilipeM.
    Nov 1, 2009
    Just watched the movie, I'm speechless. Just know this, one of the best movie I've ever seen.
  65. ZeinaY
    Oct 22, 2009
    An absolutely riveting love story, that Gondry and Kauffman don't make a sappy mess out of.
  66. DanielL
    Jul 30, 2009
    People criticise it for being confusing, okay think you kind of missed the point, it does not make them think and they are not entertained... okay you can not help who you fall in love with and it is better to remember to have loved and lost than not at all. the film is entertaining and romantic and something different and beautiful. this film lies in my top ten of all films, Jim Carrey People criticise it for being confusing, okay think you kind of missed the point, it does not make them think and they are not entertained... okay you can not help who you fall in love with and it is better to remember to have loved and lost than not at all. the film is entertaining and romantic and something different and beautiful. this film lies in my top ten of all films, Jim Carrey should have got an Oscar nomination. The film should have bagged director and technology nominations. the best of the past 10 years, difficult to say with some good ones but definately in the top 5. See it and enjoy and get taken to a side of cinema which we love and are surprised how vivid some directors and writers can be. Expand
  67. ExirK
    Jul 24, 2009
    There were times here and there where the story becomes a bit too disorienting, and I thought Gondry could've been slightly more subtle about the imagery. However, as a whole, the movie shines. I was crying by the end of it.
  68. JeremyE
    Feb 22, 2009
    Great plot, great acting, but disappointing ending
  69. AnasR
    Feb 21, 2009
    In word of one syllable, it's incredible. How it implemented the idea of delete the things from patient's memories.
  70. jobyd
    Jan 31, 2009
    "Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders." "How happy is the blameless vestal's lot? "The world forgetting, by the world forgot. "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Each prayer accepted and each wish resigned. "
  71. TroelsJ
    Jan 21, 2009
    This is the perfect love movie. In every way it is perfect and clever. And I generally hate love movies, but twisting the genre into this is just a majestetic achievement. It's crazy, sad, beautiful, funny and full of love; what every love movie wants to be, but only "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" is.
  72. LindaN
    Jan 10, 2009
    Genius. I would give it a 9.5 if I had the option.
  73. Mehhhhhh
    Dec 16, 2008
    :S Empire magazine gave it 5 stars? So whats with the 80% and the "it's not particularly funny" comment huuuh? xD
  74. RobC.
    Sep 20, 2008
    Boring is the main word. So much "why should I care" moments and "Oh my God when is the ending coming" times as well. Another of the thousand times when Hollywood tries to impress us with "art" instead of entertainment. Movies that are worse than this are anything made by Wes Anderson.
  75. Anonymous
    Aug 27, 2008
    This is possibly the most thought-provoking and worthwhile movie I have ever seen.
  76. JoseS.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Charles Kaufman is so creative, and won an Oscar for the script, (he also wrote Being John Malkovich), this SF/comedy is unique in the annals of romance films. Who would think of selective amnesia mixed with love and relationships? Loved Kate Winslet too, a different part for Jim Carrey as well, not to be missed
  77. JamesL.
    Jul 24, 2008
    An amazing and entirely warped epic that pushes the boundaries of memory, love, and life.
  78. StevenS.
    Mar 27, 2008
    Flawless.
  79. charless.
    Mar 17, 2008
    I haven't cried from a movie since i was like 6. During this i bawled lke a baby.
  80. JasonJ.
    Mar 3, 2008
    I had a chance to see this movie again in 2008 for only the second time. I saw it in the theater when it premiered 4 years earlier. What a piece of art! This movie goes deep into the heart of romantic love. It's not a love story, it's an internal examination of what love does to your mind. It's painful to watch at times because it dissects what most of us try to repress I had a chance to see this movie again in 2008 for only the second time. I saw it in the theater when it premiered 4 years earlier. What a piece of art! This movie goes deep into the heart of romantic love. It's not a love story, it's an internal examination of what love does to your mind. It's painful to watch at times because it dissects what most of us try to repress most of the time. But, if for just one moment, you allow yourself to "get into" this movie, you will have a deeper experience than you've ever had while viewing movie. Darwinian thought (as well as just about any religious thought) tells us that procreation is perhaps the most important of our human functions. Romantic love leads us in that venture and this movie delves into the most sensitive areas of that process. This film could have easily felt pseudointellectual had it not been for the way the film was shot. It looks like it was filmed inside someone's head - clausterphobic, impressionistic, etc. - all in the right balance. Expand
  81. AllisonL.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Perfect and TOUCHING. One of my most favorite movies ever. The message is incredible! Never gets old for me and something new is uncovered to me every time I watch it. The soundtrack is absolutely beautiful too! I've watched this probably 10 times, and I'll watch it the next time it comes on too.
  82. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This may be my favorite film ever. Perfect casting, perfect direction, perfect writing. Clementine: My crotch is still here, just as you remembered it. Joel: Yuck!
  83. MohsenZ.
    Feb 2, 2008
    It was the most powerful film in my entire life that really made me to have its dreams in nights and was a brilliant idea for more directors. HUMAN MIND... watching 1 time is really unfair.
  84. Hawreh
    Jan 19, 2008
    This film is one of the best movie I have ever seen in my life. and in any way is not Analogous with "being john Malkovich" and any other memory and Mind and Remembrance movies. Thanks for your rating.
  85. StanS
    Jan 9, 2008
    yes it was a very different and artsy and yes i does have a fairly important message at the end which is rather hackneyed but still even if i concede all that it still isn't a good movie, because a good movie entertains and this never really entertained me. I never wondered what happened in the beginning, and when i found out it was anti-climactic even though i didn't care.
  86. KenG
    Nov 1, 2007
    One Of The Best Movies Ever Made. Nothing More To Say Here.
  87. MathewD
    Oct 12, 2007
    Quite possibly one of the finest films ever made. Heart-wrenching and sweet all in one. I watch this DVD at least once a week and it never gets old. Considering my hatred of Jim Carrey, this is a remarkable and surprising use of his talent.
  88. SamuelC.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Beautiful and touching. Very creative.
  89. BrianP.
    Sep 11, 2007
    What is this film? A bleak parable of the emptiness of modern life? A ballad for the broken-hearted? A bold thought-experiment on the nature of consciousness? An uplifting demonstration of the power of love, of forgiving and of the power of belief to change events? At this point I do not know the answer but this feels like a movie that I will be going back to in order try to understand more.
  90. MattC.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Typically confusing, but sadly enjoyable. It really is a confusing movie but the vibe that it gives off...its very unique. Its not bad, but after rewatching another time, its not THAT comfortable. The way i recommend anybody watching it is: watch it late at night, peacefully, relaxing and let the take you in
  91. JonD.
    Jun 25, 2007
    This had a very good story but it was too long, seeing all the different memories just got tedious, and predictable. I didn't like the ending, although I understood it, i think if the middle was shortened and the ending was lengthened it would've been better. Worth seeing but definitely not amazing.
  92. TakN.
    Jun 14, 2007
    My favorite movie of all time. not much else to say except it is amazingly insightful and touching.
  93. AdamP.
    Jun 9, 2007
    The movie itself was fine, although I do have trouble with a director reusing the same scenes multiple times in a movie, it comes off as laziness. There is not much to get, it seems as though the people who say, "Did you get it?" were also overly enthralled by the Butterfly Effect and find fascination in the Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill. The movie pulls off its premise, but does not The movie itself was fine, although I do have trouble with a director reusing the same scenes multiple times in a movie, it comes off as laziness. There is not much to get, it seems as though the people who say, "Did you get it?" were also overly enthralled by the Butterfly Effect and find fascination in the Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill. The movie pulls off its premise, but does not providing a "WOW" factor by any means; the only saving grace is Jim Carrey doing what he does best in a quickly moving montage of acting as different characters from his past. Save yourself the time, go see Man in the Moon instead. Expand
  94. ElDuke
    May 19, 2007
    Its probably the best film of 2004, it reminds me what it's like to be in love and iI'm only 15, especially in the scenes where Winslet & Jim interact when they're not arguing. I love the pace and plot movement, and the music is great too.
  95. Abel
    May 15, 2007
    Amazing by every stretch of the imagination. Probably both Carrey and Winslet's best work.
  96. BlakeJ.
    Mar 21, 2007
    An original masterpiece. Kate Winslet is beyond fabulous. She IS Celmentine...eye candy in every sense of the idea. Different in every way. Just plain perfect.
  97. AndrewG.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Probably the most accurate, brutally honest dissection of what it is to be in love ever put to film. The concept behind the film may sound gimmicky, but it really is implemented brilliantly. A masterwork for all involved.
  98. DK.
    Dec 3, 2006
    This movie is a heartbreaker. Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Fantastic acting. Interesting story. Great soundtrack. If it doesn't move you, then you've never been in love.
  99. J.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Guess what? I get it. And it's WAY OVERRATED.
  100. ZachP.
    Aug 30, 2006
    There has never been, and probably never will, be anything like this movie. I loved seeing this movie, and loved seeing this movie again. Kate Winslet is spot-on in this movie, and near perfect. Jim Carrey does his best work, and the ensemble is amazing. I don't like to give 10/10's but I give this one a 10/10 in a heartbeat.

1. Not only (Kaufman's) most accessible and romantic screenplay, it's his most complete. The third act works like a charm and pulls all his themes, characters and conflicts together beautifully.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    A wildly imaginative, hugely entertaining tour de force that asks big questions about life and love and fate while never ceasing to fully engage the viewer.
    Chases so many ideas that it threatens to spin out of control. But with our multiplexes stuffed with toxic Hollywood formula, it's a gift to find a ballsy movie that thinks it can do anything, and damn near does.