8.8

1. R.Kamath
    Apr 20, 2004
    For a movie getting such fantastic reviews, the main characters in "Eternal Sunshine" are awfully 2-dimensional, particular Jim Carrey's character Joel, who doesn't have much of a noticable personality at all. Furthermore, Joel's relationship with Clementine is so cardboard that it seems to have virtually no meaning; not only is there absolutely no chemistry between the For a movie getting such fantastic reviews, the main characters in "Eternal Sunshine" are awfully 2-dimensional, particular Jim Carrey's character Joel, who doesn't have much of a noticable personality at all. Furthermore, Joel's relationship with Clementine is so cardboard that it seems to have virtually no meaning; not only is there absolutely no chemistry between the two, you are not really given any indication that their apparently 2 year relationship was anything but a one week fling, and a pretty sorry one at that; it's riddled with situations of conflict and negativity. But to counter these, the directors attempt to create situations of "poignancy," but they tend to feel scripted and forced rather than natural, depicting such hackneyed scenes as them running around in the snow, throwing snowballs at each other, and stargazing from a frozen lake. These scenarios uniformly smack of artifice, or at the very least lack any magical qualities-- perhaps because the main characters have no chemistry at all on the screen! Anyway, never once did I feel any regret that their relationship ended, nor did I feel any sympathy/empathy for their characters. Ultimately, the main problem I had with this movie was that it seemed apparent that the moviemakers went out of their way to try and make something oh-so-meaningful and "like, metaphysical, and stuff." It sort of works as a concept that can operate in the viewers' own mind and cause him/her to question the meaning of his/her own relationships, but on its own terms, the movie is not particularly engrossing, thrilling, or magical. It's barely adequate. Expand
  2. MohsenZ.
    Feb 2, 2008
    It was the most powerful film in my entire life that really made me to have its dreams in nights and was a brilliant idea for more directors. HUMAN MIND... watching 1 time is really unfair.
  3. JasonJ.
    Mar 3, 2008
    I had a chance to see this movie again in 2008 for only the second time. I saw it in the theater when it premiered 4 years earlier. What a piece of art! This movie goes deep into the heart of romantic love. It's not a love story, it's an internal examination of what love does to your mind. It's painful to watch at times because it dissects what most of us try to repress I had a chance to see this movie again in 2008 for only the second time. I saw it in the theater when it premiered 4 years earlier. What a piece of art! This movie goes deep into the heart of romantic love. It's not a love story, it's an internal examination of what love does to your mind. It's painful to watch at times because it dissects what most of us try to repress most of the time. But, if for just one moment, you allow yourself to "get into" this movie, you will have a deeper experience than you've ever had while viewing movie. Darwinian thought (as well as just about any religious thought) tells us that procreation is perhaps the most important of our human functions. Romantic love leads us in that venture and this movie delves into the most sensitive areas of that process. This film could have easily felt pseudointellectual had it not been for the way the film was shot. It looks like it was filmed inside someone's head - clausterphobic, impressionistic, etc. - all in the right balance. Expand
  4. Oct 2, 2013
    This movie was amazing! I loved the characters and I thought it was a refreshing change of romantic comedy. It really toughed base with the meaning behind a thoughtful relationship between one really odd couple. This movie really does express the meaning behind two opposites attract.
  5. Marcus
    Mar 21, 2004
    This film is inventive and well worth experiencing, but in the end I have to agree with the critics who say pairing Kaufman with Gondry is a kind of movie overload. Gondry's direction is filled with its own ideas, something Kaufman is definitely not short on. Several wacky scenes demonstrate a great synergy emanating from the duo (and the actors deserve credit too). However, Gondry, This film is inventive and well worth experiencing, but in the end I have to agree with the critics who say pairing Kaufman with Gondry is a kind of movie overload. Gondry's direction is filled with its own ideas, something Kaufman is definitely not short on. Several wacky scenes demonstrate a great synergy emanating from the duo (and the actors deserve credit too). However, Gondry, who had the idea for the story that Kaufman wrote, does not approach the script as freshly and as deftly as he does the songs he brilliantly captures as music videos. At times, Gondry seems to be directing his own video, substituting rhythm and melody with something much less soothing or toe-tapping: Kaufman's twisted and fractured screenplay. As one critic asked "Are they collaborating or competing?" Whether this translates into more bang for the viewer's buck (or less) depends a lot on who is putting down the money for admission. It is hard to dispute that the filmmakers' manic stylings are perfectly suited to the storyline. An exhaustive second act where memories are marvelously deconstructed may go so far as to test the viewer's patience: the scenes - if what makes up the meat of this movie can be called 'scenes' - are fast and furious and unlike all others movie audiences have known. Yet they seem to build to a horror-suspense crescendo that may actually be the most conventional aspect of the film. Thank goodness there are breaks supplied by airier sequences bookending the innerworld drama. Most audiences will find something that takes them in (be it the drama, horror, suspense, sci-fi, or, as it's billed, romantic-comedy - though I would insist it's of the very post-When-Harry-Met-Sally genre). Without a doubt, ESOTSM is unique and artful cinema. Expand
  6. BJStankshaft
    Aug 10, 2004
    This movie was well made and had a clever premise. The story was solid but the characters could have used some work. Kate winslet's character seemed to be pushed passed what it was in the beging and made to be crazier and crazier. The creators made all of the characters fall into a stereotype and limited their whole persona to that stereotype. They all had the emotion that they This movie was well made and had a clever premise. The story was solid but the characters could have used some work. Kate winslet's character seemed to be pushed passed what it was in the beging and made to be crazier and crazier. The creators made all of the characters fall into a stereotype and limited their whole persona to that stereotype. They all had the emotion that they needed but they could not realisticly portray a normal person because their actions were limited to what someone of their stereotype would do. If the characters had more realistic actions and dialogue with eachother the movie could have been great. Expand
  7. TyeN.
    Oct 8, 2005
    This is by far the best movie of 2004, and one of the greatest films of all-time. Jim Carrey and Kate Wislet share a magnetic bond that evolves way past the usual chemistry in movies. They are absolutely amazing, and they were both robbed of should-be Oscars. (especially Carrey, who wasn't even nominated) This film will forever be remembered as one of the films considered a true This is by far the best movie of 2004, and one of the greatest films of all-time. Jim Carrey and Kate Wislet share a magnetic bond that evolves way past the usual chemistry in movies. They are absolutely amazing, and they were both robbed of should-be Oscars. (especially Carrey, who wasn't even nominated) This film will forever be remembered as one of the films considered a true classic from the new era of 2000 and on. Brilliant. Expand
  8. ShawnD.
    Apr 18, 2004
    I know a lot of people liked this but it wasn't for me. None of the characters in the film are people you'd want to have as friends. They're a bunch of whiny sadsacks whose lives are pathetic. I kept waiting for something dramatic to happen but the film maintained the same pace throughout. The acting was fine but I'm not a fan of seeing the lives of a bunch of losers.
  9. LiamS.
    Jun 7, 2004
    This movie was too clever for its own good. It starts with a clever premise, and then gets very caught up in the machinations so much that it loses much of the storyline. Still, the acting performances of Jim Carrey and Kirsten Dunst were absolutely first rate. (Kirsten Dunst in particular was fabulous, and showed more acting ability than I thought she had.) The acting saved this movie, This movie was too clever for its own good. It starts with a clever premise, and then gets very caught up in the machinations so much that it loses much of the storyline. Still, the acting performances of Jim Carrey and Kirsten Dunst were absolutely first rate. (Kirsten Dunst in particular was fabulous, and showed more acting ability than I thought she had.) The acting saved this movie, in my opinion, otherwise it would have merited something in the neighbourhood of a 3 out of 10. Far too much time was spent on Jim Carrey's internal struggle, and not enough on the revelations towards the end of the film. Expand
  10. AndrewG.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Probably the most accurate, brutally honest dissection of what it is to be in love ever put to film. The concept behind the film may sound gimmicky, but it really is implemented brilliantly. A masterwork for all involved.
  11. DK.
    Dec 3, 2006
    This movie is a heartbreaker. Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Fantastic acting. Interesting story. Great soundtrack. If it doesn't move you, then you've never been in love.
  12. Jan 10, 2011
    Did you ever fall in love so deeply and then you just broke up with her/him? That is the feeling you got from watching thiz film. The feeling about how you fall in love with her, and later you realize that time would never come back again. Starred by Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Rufallo, and Kirsten Dunst. Directed by French Director, Michel Gondry. Gondry is one of the directors whoDid you ever fall in love so deeply and then you just broke up with her/him? That is the feeling you got from watching thiz film. The feeling about how you fall in love with her, and later you realize that time would never come back again. Starred by Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Rufallo, and Kirsten Dunst. Directed by French Director, Michel Gondry. Gondry is one of the directors who always brings some absurd stories as his features (such as: THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP (2006), that also I like very much). The story is about how you dreams your past and you can actually feel it as just happens at the present time. Sometimes it happens based on what you remember. Thiz is interesting part, in one of the scene, the two characters (Carrey and Winslet) had interaction with each other but they surrounded by people who had plain/blank face, coz the Carey character don not remember how the people look like, so the scene describes it people with plain/blank face. Director was so lucky to got Carey and Winslet in appropriate time, Carey just desperately wants some serious drama beside his role always known as comedian, and Winslet wants to prove her truly acting skill after TITANIC (1997). Thiz Movie maybe not contains an extraordinary storyline, but can effectively reflects very well the description about how the event occurred.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  13. Feb 1, 2011
    A perfect concept wrapped around great performances. Kate Winslet, as usual, is spectacular. Anybody who has been in a relationship full of hills and valleys will appreciate this movie and shed a tear or two by the end. A movie to be filed under "original and thought provoking".
  14. Apr 6, 2011
    There are those movies that provide you with two hours of mind-numbing entertainment, and then there are those movies that can change your view on life and human emotions while still providing you with two hours of entertainment. This movie belongs to the latter category.
  15. May 19, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies without a doubt. I never tire of watching it. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are absolutely terrific together and I cry every time I see it. There is very little wrong with the film.
  16. May 25, 2011
    Easily, 2004's best film. Charlie Kaufman delivers us his best script yet, Kate Winslet's amazing acting is probably the biggest highlight of the movie and surprisingly Jim Carrey's acting is not that horrible.
    although the film is pure beauty it seems rather cheap for a 20,000,000$ movie.
  17. Jun 8, 2011
    This film is wondrously creative, entertaining, clever and thought-provoking. It's based on an interesting premise, it's artistically shot and edited, and the story is told in an ingeniously innovative way. But this isn't half the reason it's so good. At it's heart, it's a brilliantly acted bittersweet love story that avoids all cliches, feels uncannily real and ultimately engages theThis film is wondrously creative, entertaining, clever and thought-provoking. It's based on an interesting premise, it's artistically shot and edited, and the story is told in an ingeniously innovative way. But this isn't half the reason it's so good. At it's heart, it's a brilliantly acted bittersweet love story that avoids all cliches, feels uncannily real and ultimately engages the viewer emotionally on so many levels (which is rare for a Kaufman film, despite the guy's obvious artistic talent). I know a lot of people don't like Jim Carrey that much because he's been in a lot of rubbish stuff, but the guy can certainly act when given the opportunity, and Kate Winslet is simply brilliant. Together they make a wondrously believable couple that I've never stopped to question for an instant. Overall, one of my favorite all time films and an amazing cinematic achievement. Don't miss out on this! Expand
  18. Aug 17, 2011
    Perfect. Favourite movie of all time. Showing a deeper and brilliant side to Jim Carrey that is lost with most of his hollywood comedies. Kate Winslet played the eccentric and irrational role of Clementine amazingly. Clever and thoughtful.
  19. Jan 4, 2012
    Please do not be scared of this film by those ignorant reviews saying that this film is "too artsy" or "to complicated". That is absolute bulls**t. This is one of the best films I've ever seen so I strongly advise everyone to watch it.
  20. Mar 14, 2013
    This was just a delight. It was clever, it was original and it was downright emotional on so many levels that that have made this a timeless classic.
    Eternal Sunshine tells the story of socially awkward Joel (Jim Carrey), who is detached from his surroundings and everything going on around him, until he meets Clementine (Kate Winslet), a confrontational and free spirited woman who he immediately hits if off with, simply because their worlds couldn't be further apart.
    The film is told in a very much non-linear fashion, and this is set up through the apparent break-up of the happy couple, Joel soon learns that Clementine has forgotten who Joel is, she did this through getting her memory of him erased by Lacuna, a company which deals in this.
    Joel eventually decides to do the same thing and is told the process is done while he sleeps.
    What follows is the true shining moment of the film, as Joel visits happier times with Clementine, to which we soon realise all is not as it seems.
    The supporting cast includes Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood as technicians who carry out the erase part, Kirsten Dunst as the Lacuna receptionist and Tom Wilkinson as the Lacuna doctor, Howard Mierzwiak.
    These characters, however, hold their own unique secrets and revelations that truly create a wonderful piece of cinema.
    Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are simply fantastic as Joel and Clementine and it was wonderful to see these two step out of their comfort zone, Carrey the awkward and unfunny man, and Winslet the free and crude woman. The messages which are put across heighten the beauty and dramatic context of the film that never lets go of the wheel.
    The pace of the story may leave some confused, but this is where the film truly becomes unique, there are so many elements of surprise and so many heart wrenching moments that succeed in creating a truly unique masterpiece, full of colourful scenes and artistic filmmaking that push the film further than many other love stories.
    Its not surprising for many to say that this is one of their favourite films, there is enough drama to last a lifetime and enough talent to surpass your expectations in this flawless gem.
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is a story about a couple who obviously don't get well with each other and so the women goes to a doctor who can erase her memories of the men. When the men learns about that he wants to do it too. It is an interesting idea but in the beginning the film is too complicated, strange rare and hard to understand which will confuse many people. Jim CarreyEternal sunshine of the spotless mind is a story about a couple who obviously don't get well with each other and so the women goes to a doctor who can erase her memories of the men. When the men learns about that he wants to do it too. It is an interesting idea but in the beginning the film is too complicated, strange rare and hard to understand which will confuse many people. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were amazing and that surprised me as I am used to see Jim Carrey only in comedies. The cinematography is amazing as well as the direction of that film but it is a little bit confusing which is something I really didn't like. Yes it it touching and passes the message that we have to give a second chance to some people. But it is still over complicated for the kind of these films yet it is a new idea. Expand
  22. Jun 15, 2013
    There are so few perfect movies. This is one of them. One of my all time favorite movies. So funny yet intelligent and romantic. It gets better every time you watch it.
  23. AllisonL.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Perfect and TOUCHING. One of my most favorite movies ever. The message is incredible! Never gets old for me and something new is uncovered to me every time I watch it. The soundtrack is absolutely beautiful too! I've watched this probably 10 times, and I'll watch it the next time it comes on too.
  24. TroelsJ
    Jan 21, 2009
    This is the perfect love movie. In every way it is perfect and clever. And I generally hate love movies, but twisting the genre into this is just a majestetic achievement. It's crazy, sad, beautiful, funny and full of love; what every love movie wants to be, but only "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" is.
  25. MattM.
    Jun 3, 2005
    This is the only film i have seen that gives me faith in post-modern eclectism. excellent. so many touching moments. emotions captured beautifully in imagery. not concept driven but with a superb concept. not melodramatic but emotional. the characters were ecentric and interesting but relatable and their love was so universal. i feel touched when ever i hear beck's song. i just think This is the only film i have seen that gives me faith in post-modern eclectism. excellent. so many touching moments. emotions captured beautifully in imagery. not concept driven but with a superb concept. not melodramatic but emotional. the characters were ecentric and interesting but relatable and their love was so universal. i feel touched when ever i hear beck's song. i just think of those last images of them holding hands on the beach. thankyou so much. Expand
  26. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This may be my favorite film ever. Perfect casting, perfect direction, perfect writing. Clementine: My crotch is still here, just as you remembered it. Joel: Yuck!
  27. StevenH.
    Jul 8, 2005
    This movie was an unbelievable mix of comedy and trajedy that forced you to follow it. You can not look away for a moment or you'll miss something, and this movie makes you not want to look away for even a moment. Amazing movie.
  28. Hawreh
    Jan 19, 2008
    This film is one of the best movie I have ever seen in my life. and in any way is not Analogous with "being john Malkovich" and any other memory and Mind and Remembrance movies. Thanks for your rating.
  29. Apr 12, 2011
    The concept for Eternal Sunshine is simply incredible. Unfortunately, the narrative isn't. The love story should feel genuine, but it never gets fully fleshed out due to subplots that constantly get in the way of Joel's (Jim Carrey) story arc. However, with strong performances from all cast members, interesting visuals and a great soundtrack, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is worthThe concept for Eternal Sunshine is simply incredible. Unfortunately, the narrative isn't. The love story should feel genuine, but it never gets fully fleshed out due to subplots that constantly get in the way of Joel's (Jim Carrey) story arc. However, with strong performances from all cast members, interesting visuals and a great soundtrack, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is worth a watch, at the very least. Expand
  30. MartyC.
    Mar 24, 2004
    I would give this movie a 0 but I do feel Jim Carey's performance was good. Now let my urge you not to waste your time or money. There are so many things that you can do with 108 minutes of your life. I have never written a review on here before but am taking the time knowing that if I can keep just one person from this drugery I have done a good thing. The story is absurd. I kept I would give this movie a 0 but I do feel Jim Carey's performance was good. Now let my urge you not to waste your time or money. There are so many things that you can do with 108 minutes of your life. I have never written a review on here before but am taking the time knowing that if I can keep just one person from this drugery I have done a good thing. The story is absurd. I kept waiting and waiting for something that would make me like this movie. The movie is about erasing memories. If I could erase one memory it would be the memory of this dumb movie. PLEASE STAY AWAY! Expand
  31. RichardG.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Well, I have to give this movie a 1 to lower the score, its really worth a 5 at best. I think this movie is well directed and gives audiences a new experience, but face it, the movie is very tedious, some parts of the movie are absurd, the movie never answers any of the viewers questions and it has a very very weak ending. Jim Carey was very good as "Joel" but this movie is lacking a Well, I have to give this movie a 1 to lower the score, its really worth a 5 at best. I think this movie is well directed and gives audiences a new experience, but face it, the movie is very tedious, some parts of the movie are absurd, the movie never answers any of the viewers questions and it has a very very weak ending. Jim Carey was very good as "Joel" but this movie is lacking a certain "thing" that would qualify it as a 10. Artsy individuals would like this movie, great camera work too. Expand
  32. Jun 23, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a heartfelt, funny, emotionally powerful, original, heartbreaking, piece of art. It features great performances from Winslet and Carrey, and offers a nice, sweet, fresh, twist on a regular romantic comedy. I give this movie 96%.
  33. HowardJ.
    Oct 22, 2004
    An interesting conceit that probably reads a lot better than it views. winslet and carrey are both excellent in a confusing mish-mash of a film.
  34. AndrewL.
    Mar 25, 2004
    This seems to be a movie that you love or you hate. I think it was a mess of a movie and a bad "Vanilla Sky" feel to it. The plot was poor and the characters drudged through the mundane script. I think the target audience is film majors that hang out at Starbucks every night and like to talk about how intellectual they are. Everyone else... don't waste your time. It would be hard to This seems to be a movie that you love or you hate. I think it was a mess of a movie and a bad "Vanilla Sky" feel to it. The plot was poor and the characters drudged through the mundane script. I think the target audience is film majors that hang out at Starbucks every night and like to talk about how intellectual they are. Everyone else... don't waste your time. It would be hard to find a movie out now that is worse than this one. Expand
  35. JenM.
    Feb 22, 2005
    Let me start by saying that all of my friends loved this movie and I am a HUGE Michel Gondry fan. Having said that this is the worst movie I have ever seen. I gave this a 2 simply for the innovative directing in parts. The characters were completely intolerable and the story line was so predictable and tedious that I walked out about 10 minutes before the end and had someone fill me in on Let me start by saying that all of my friends loved this movie and I am a HUGE Michel Gondry fan. Having said that this is the worst movie I have ever seen. I gave this a 2 simply for the innovative directing in parts. The characters were completely intolerable and the story line was so predictable and tedious that I walked out about 10 minutes before the end and had someone fill me in on the 'yawn' end. Jim Carrey has no business trying to be a heart felt poet type character and Kate Winslet was annoying and trendily stupid. This film is garbage and I wonder what the hell Michel Gondry is doing wasting his talents on this. Expand
  36. LisaL.
    Apr 11, 2004
    Do not waste your time! This movie is incredibly boring and felt like it would never end. I don't understand how anyone could give this movie a 10! Normally I enjoy these types of films, but this one is overrated. The characters are not interesting, the plot trudges along verrrrrrry slowly, and the parts that were supposed to be funny were not.
  37. StanS
    Jan 9, 2008
    yes it was a very different and artsy and yes i does have a fairly important message at the end which is rather hackneyed but still even if i concede all that it still isn't a good movie, because a good movie entertains and this never really entertained me. I never wondered what happened in the beginning, and when i found out it was anti-climactic even though i didn't care.
  38. K.James
    Jul 7, 2004
    I love this movie. All the actors are so good (elijah wood). it is so funny. Jim Carrey is the best comedy actor (adam sandler sucks). Kirsten Dunst is second best actress evah. Kate Winslet is first. I love that bit where her and jim are watching the movie and he says "there are people coming out of your butt" and she says "there is?". Genius...the best movie ever!
  39. JoeH
    Jan 8, 2010
    Kaufman is a genius, nuff said.
  40. RickyG.
    Oct 3, 2004
    Simply beautiful film, Gondry's beautiful cinematic touch is yet again candy for us to consume. I love it!
  41. richyf
    Oct 8, 2004
    Breathtaking...a story most of us could relate in some way or another and a perspective on life, love, hate, humour that deserves respect to the writer and director. Visually stunning....just brilliant!
  42. AndyG.
    Oct 8, 2004
    I saw this film a few days ago on DVD (sadly having missed it at the cinema). I've barely stopped thinking about it since. It's simply one of the best films I've ever seen, so superb in every respect that I'd find it difficult to find a single flaw. Jim Carrey proves once again that he has a far greater depth as an actor than many give him credit for (adding to his I saw this film a few days ago on DVD (sadly having missed it at the cinema). I've barely stopped thinking about it since. It's simply one of the best films I've ever seen, so superb in every respect that I'd find it difficult to find a single flaw. Jim Carrey proves once again that he has a far greater depth as an actor than many give him credit for (adding to his wonderful performances in The Truman Show and Man on the Moon), while Kate Winslet is fantastic too. The story is confusing at times initially but it all makes perfect sense in the end, and the score fits perfectly. Anyone put off watching this masterpiece by the few negative reader reviews -- don't be. Read their reviews, see their grammatical and spelling errors and realize that they simply didn't have the ability to grasp the film at all. Just ... brilliant. Expand
  43. ShadieE.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Charlie Kaufman keeps coming up with some of the most original movies ever created ... Michel Gondry implements that unique visual style where appropriate, with none of the misfires hanging over from Human Nature. The performances are all spotless, inherently creating inter-character dynamics so complex that this is a film that demands repeat viewings. Amazing.
  44. PaulM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    When I walked into the theatre I noticed that me and my 3 friends were the only teenagers in the movie. I thought what have I gotten myself into... Within the first ten minutes Of the movie I found myself in love with it. My friends on the other hand thought differently. But in the end I say one of the best movies ever!
  45. PaulH.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Rent or go to see this film as it is one of the best you are likely to see. i won't go into it in too much detail but this film goes straight into my top 5 films. kaufman yet again has delivered us a breath of fresh air.
  46. ErwinK.
    May 3, 2004
    God that was good.
  47. Ismelloscar
    Jan 21, 2005
    This is the best movie of the year, hands down. Screw "Sideways."
  48. JasonB
    Jul 10, 2005
    A brilliant movie, hands down. Anyone who says they don't understand the plot should stick to Spongebob. It's great to watch a movie where the people making it assume you're intelligent. If you aren't, stay away. you might hurt yourself thinking about it.
  49. jacomien
    Sep 1, 2005
    Only saw it last week... had been on my to watch list for too long. Very impressed though.
  50. JeremyR.
    Jun 28, 2006
    My current favorite film. An intriguing story about relationship, the good and the bad. All those reviews in here that "didn't get it" or hated it, you're entitled to your opininions, but I'm sorry for you that you missed out on a great movie.
  51. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    Another classic of our time. There has never been another like it, nor will there ever be again. The elements conspire on this one to create something that leaves you not entirely sure what kind of movie you just watched- and loving it. Yes, it's funny, but never slapstick. Yes, it's dramatic, but it never goes Deep End of the Ocean. Yes, there are fantasy elements aplenty, but Another classic of our time. There has never been another like it, nor will there ever be again. The elements conspire on this one to create something that leaves you not entirely sure what kind of movie you just watched- and loving it. Yes, it's funny, but never slapstick. Yes, it's dramatic, but it never goes Deep End of the Ocean. Yes, there are fantasy elements aplenty, but somehow it feels natural, as if the events just fit within the world of the film. There's even a mystery element, leaving you slightly confused until ut all comes together at the end. It has a slightly Donnie Darko-like quality in this way- somehow it feels like somewhere you missed something, and you have the urge to rewind and see what it was. Once all the threads are tied up, you're left with an "aaahh" sense of completetion. Complex characters, never dismissing development to focus on the more quirky elements of the film, never letting you get lazy as a viewer. No one character is a runaway favorite as each is flawed in the way they are supposed to be. One of the few movies that pulls off the darker, more morbid aspect without laying it on too thick. Outshines it's "cousin", Being John Malkovich, by a mile. My only critisism is possibly cramming just a leetle too much in there. Not enough to forfeit a point, though. Expand
  52. MathewD
    Oct 12, 2007
    Quite possibly one of the finest films ever made. Heart-wrenching and sweet all in one. I watch this DVD at least once a week and it never gets old. Considering my hatred of Jim Carrey, this is a remarkable and surprising use of his talent.
  53. MattC.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Typically confusing, but sadly enjoyable. It really is a confusing movie but the vibe that it gives off...its very unique. Its not bad, but after rewatching another time, its not THAT comfortable. The way i recommend anybody watching it is: watch it late at night, peacefully, relaxing and let the take you in
  54. SamuelC.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Beautiful and touching. Very creative.
  55. ArtiomP.
    Jan 16, 2010
    To bad there are only fiew of such films.. The abstractism should predominate into more movies, because there are less people who understand them, but they could understand more, why not?
  56. HeatherD.
    Oct 17, 2004
    Very heartbreaking to watch.... makes you appreciate someone you love more.
  57. ZacharyM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    Excellent! Makes you laugh and think. Story catches you from the start. I'm not a huge Jim Carrey fan, but he was really good in this film. Thats the best bit of acting that I have seen in quite a while. This movie also has great replay value because you catch something new everytime.
  58. Dave
    Mar 20, 2004
    Absolutely great movie. No one writes like Kaufman, he's just pure imagination at its best. Jim Carrey's performance is his best ever, bringing emotion and nuances to a complex character. Couldn't have left the theater happier.
  59. DougD.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Never before I have I seen a movie that better captured the love I feel for my wife. To me, it just struck a chord and was the most realistic romance I have ever seen in my entire life, I will love this one forever.
  60. JasonT.
    Mar 27, 2004
    Stupid movie. I didn't get it.
  61. JoshuaW.
    Mar 29, 2004
    This is a movie I'm sure I will never forget.
  62. YeaYunC.
    Mar 31, 2004
    A refreshingly thought-provoking perspective on life, love, loss and relationships, this movie was beautiful, poignant and heart wrenching. Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted and highly imaginative in the way the plot unfolded ? this exceeded my expectations on every dimension. This is one to add to my collection of all-time favorites.
  63. TyS.
    Feb 24, 2005
    I am completely with Jen M on this one. Waste of my good time and totally forgettable.
  64. Tyler
    Feb 4, 2005
    I am in the minority on this but I thought that this movie sucked. It reminded me a bit of vanilla sky but I did't understand the ending and here is another reason to hate Elijah Wood. It was just a stupid movie and Kate Winslet does not deserve best actress for it.
  65. CoreyC.
    Apr 1, 2005
    I expected so much more from Gondry and Kaufman. This, indeed, may have been a case of complete over-hype by everyone I know-- but I still tried to detach myself from those ideas when I watched. Amazingly, it refused to play along in the best-movie-ever-game and simply came across as a flat, placid, and emotional-vacuum of eye-candy and predictablity. Where is John Malkovich or The White I expected so much more from Gondry and Kaufman. This, indeed, may have been a case of complete over-hype by everyone I know-- but I still tried to detach myself from those ideas when I watched. Amazingly, it refused to play along in the best-movie-ever-game and simply came across as a flat, placid, and emotional-vacuum of eye-candy and predictablity. Where is John Malkovich or The White Stripes to bring out the previously displayed talents of these two when you need them? Expand
  66. IliyaD.
    May 13, 2005
    I feel sorrow for the people who didn't understand and sad for those who didn't like this movie. This movie is about love and all his aspects. This is a keeper.
  67. RobC.
    Sep 20, 2008
    Boring is the main word. So much "why should I care" moments and "Oh my God when is the ending coming" times as well. Another of the thousand times when Hollywood tries to impress us with "art" instead of entertainment. Movies that are worse than this are anything made by Wes Anderson.
  68. JoeS.
    Oct 18, 2004
    This movie is one big confusing mess that is impossible to follow and to understand. Clearly one of the worst movies of all time. Don't waste your money renting or buying this one.
  69. AnthonyC.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Wow did this movie suck. I walked in thinking it would be the cinematic experience of my life from all the great reviews I read. Guess what? IT SUCKS!!!! I felt absolutely nothing for the characters. I wanted them all to forget each other so they movie would END! Carrey, Carrey, Carrey, when are you going to learn that you cannot act at all. Go back to comedy and make us all happy. All Wow did this movie suck. I walked in thinking it would be the cinematic experience of my life from all the great reviews I read. Guess what? IT SUCKS!!!! I felt absolutely nothing for the characters. I wanted them all to forget each other so they movie would END! Carrey, Carrey, Carrey, when are you going to learn that you cannot act at all. Go back to comedy and make us all happy. All the other performances felt forced and fake. Whoever tells you this movie is complex is a totaly dumba$$. I figured it out just by seeing the trailer and the commercials. DON'T SEE THIS AT ANY COST. Expand
  70. RandyJ.
    Mar 22, 2004
    This movie was just a'ight for me. It just wasn't feeling it tonight, dawg!
  71. DemarioM.
    Apr 12, 2004
    People are so incredibly stupid. This movie makes you feel nothing at all. It's the first movie i've ever seen that didn't make me feel something. First, The characters are not likeable. The plot can be confusing at times. Most of all this movie is just a bore. I thought the whole point of going to the movies was to be entertained. I love Jim Carrey but not even Jesus People are so incredibly stupid. This movie makes you feel nothing at all. It's the first movie i've ever seen that didn't make me feel something. First, The characters are not likeable. The plot can be confusing at times. Most of all this movie is just a bore. I thought the whole point of going to the movies was to be entertained. I love Jim Carrey but not even Jesus himself could save this movie! Expand
  72. DonW.
    Apr 15, 2004
    The best thing about the movie is I don't need my memory erased to forget about it or the title. It's so repetitive that it's hard to care about the characters or the relationship that endlessly repeats the first few days of start. Forget About It should have been the title.
  73. SteveG.
    Apr 30, 2004
    I've only ever walked out of two films and this was the second. Pretty bad for a film I really looked forward to seeing, though I did grit my teeth for an hour in the vain hope it would get better. Allow me to list the things I disliked. An incredibly irritating score with harsh sound effects that were no doubt intend to distract and did so perfectly; characters who were either I've only ever walked out of two films and this was the second. Pretty bad for a film I really looked forward to seeing, though I did grit my teeth for an hour in the vain hope it would get better. Allow me to list the things I disliked. An incredibly irritating score with harsh sound effects that were no doubt intend to distract and did so perfectly; characters who were either uninteresting, paranoid or plain creepy; an uninspiring and chemistry-free relationship between a dull man and a rather nasty and self-centered woman (tell me... they wanted each other again?) and above all pretentious and literally shaky camera work. Part of me would like to know if ended as pathetically as it promised, but I guess I'll never know. Believe me, here were a bunch of people I cared not one iota for. Perhaps there could be a sequel: Eternal Pain of the Psuedo-Arthouse Mind. Expand
  74. PekkaP.
    Mar 10, 2005
    Utter crap! The second worst movie I've ever seen from the most overrated screenwriter in history. I'd rather sit two hours naked on an ants' nest than watch this again.
  75. Andy
    Mar 30, 2005
    I didn't get it. yeah it's different but better or great or deserving of an award....NOT!!!
  76. JamesB.
    Apr 12, 2005
    Boring, slow, awful plot. How this was 'aclaimed' I will never know.
  77. JBarr
    Apr 8, 2005
    Good, but overrated. Besides, how can u give a good rating to a movie with Frodo in it besides LOTR?
  78. BlisterfishCafe
    Sep 14, 2005
    Simply...the second worse film I have ever seen. How is it possible so many people love this film?!?!
  79. StephB.
    May 21, 2004
    This is one of THEE most rubbish, boringest films i have ever seen, I almost got up to leave, and the story line was all over the place, it was hard to follow, confusing and just plain stupid, one minute he knows her and the next they dont , then they hate each other then they love each other, God!!! what was it all about, even the girls down from us looked at us and shook their heads and This is one of THEE most rubbish, boringest films i have ever seen, I almost got up to leave, and the story line was all over the place, it was hard to follow, confusing and just plain stupid, one minute he knows her and the next they dont , then they hate each other then they love each other, God!!! what was it all about, even the girls down from us looked at us and shook their heads and laughed it was so weird, The only amusing part was when he was a baby again, but thats it completely a WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!!!!! my title for the film - "Eternal dullness and a waste of time" Expand
  80. BerniceM.
    Aug 12, 2005
    This movie was utterly stupid.
  81. Fitzy
    Dec 28, 2004
    Total piece of $h*t. Woefully inept, disjointed pseudo intellectual psycho babble masquarading as a "film".
  82. Jun 28, 2013
    One of my least favorite movies ever. The message is stupid. Watching it once was painful enough. All the actors should kiss their careers goodbye. I hated everything about it.
  83. J.C.
    Mar 27, 2004
    "You might as well put up a sign at the enterance of the theater: Stupid People Need Not Attend..." How about "stupid people might as well not comment on the quality of new movies unless they know how to spell"?
  84. JohnY.
    Mar 20, 2004
    As creative as can be, and with stellar performances, but nowhere near the excellence of "Being John Malkovich."
  85. D.Zimmerman
    Mar 29, 2004
    Breathtakingly complete. This is a movie that creates it's own universe out of the mysteries of the most vital human experience, love. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind seems to be part of a general trend in the progression of art; a completeness that marries all of experience to one emotional situation (in this movie's case, the confessive "I love and wish to be loved") and Breathtakingly complete. This is a movie that creates it's own universe out of the mysteries of the most vital human experience, love. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind seems to be part of a general trend in the progression of art; a completeness that marries all of experience to one emotional situation (in this movie's case, the confessive "I love and wish to be loved") and then proceeds to portray any and all behavior that would arise from the situation. As a filmic text, this is new sacred ground, folks. There are enough connections to be made between themes that reinforce one another, you could build a tower right to heaven. Pardon my musings. Expand
  86. JayB.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Another great movie from one of the most original screenwriters on the planet! If you love brainless action movies, by all means avoid this beautiful love story. And once again, the critic from Baltimore who loved "Twisted" (Michael Sragow-see above) gave this one 2 stars. Is there no end to the unreliabilty of his reviews???!
  87. JonathanK
    Feb 9, 2005
    You will either love or hate this movie. I hold this movie on par with great literature as "The Great Gatsby" and "Catcher In The Rye". It speaks of true to life emotions and short comings we all posses. The acting and screen play were perfect in sculpting a believable scenerio. We can see well rounded characters in this movie. Winslet is "impulisve" and unpredictable and Carrey is the You will either love or hate this movie. I hold this movie on par with great literature as "The Great Gatsby" and "Catcher In The Rye". It speaks of true to life emotions and short comings we all posses. The acting and screen play were perfect in sculpting a believable scenerio. We can see well rounded characters in this movie. Winslet is "impulisve" and unpredictable and Carrey is the typical man stuck in a rut, living a dull self loathing life. But they both have one thing in commen: they need that something in thier life so they can go beyond thier typical self. Quoting another comment "Is it really better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?". And of course the ironic title begs the question "would a spotless mind live in eternal sunshin?" In the end life is all about choice, isn't it? Expand
  88. AdamP.
    Jun 9, 2007
    The movie itself was fine, although I do have trouble with a director reusing the same scenes multiple times in a movie, it comes off as laziness. There is not much to get, it seems as though the people who say, "Did you get it?" were also overly enthralled by the Butterfly Effect and find fascination in the Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill. The movie pulls off its premise, but does not The movie itself was fine, although I do have trouble with a director reusing the same scenes multiple times in a movie, it comes off as laziness. There is not much to get, it seems as though the people who say, "Did you get it?" were also overly enthralled by the Butterfly Effect and find fascination in the Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill. The movie pulls off its premise, but does not providing a "WOW" factor by any means; the only saving grace is Jim Carrey doing what he does best in a quickly moving montage of acting as different characters from his past. Save yourself the time, go see Man in the Moon instead. Expand
  89. JamesW.
    Mar 22, 2004
    From the commercials I expected this to be an offbeat comedy, but it really isn't. It's a thoughtful and very creative exploration into love and sadness and what people will tolerate for love. I really liked it, as did my wife and sister.
  90. MikeB.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Parts of this film are absolutely transcendent, which make up for its rather minor flaws. A movie for the ages.
  91. RickG.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Eternal Sunshine works best when it stays focused on the relationship between Joel and Clementine. The movie falters when it goes off on tangents related to the messed up lives of the people doing Joel's memory erasing. Otherwise, Joel and Clementine are very amusing to watch. I liked it when Joel falls for the "She said I was the nicest man she ever met" line. Or when Joel tries to Eternal Sunshine works best when it stays focused on the relationship between Joel and Clementine. The movie falters when it goes off on tangents related to the messed up lives of the people doing Joel's memory erasing. Otherwise, Joel and Clementine are very amusing to watch. I liked it when Joel falls for the "She said I was the nicest man she ever met" line. Or when Joel tries to forget about Clementine's crotch. Expand
  92. PaulaW.
    Apr 18, 2004
    For all the perpetual grad students out there: this is the rare postmodern narrative in which the mechanics of metastory don't get in the way of deep emotion. This is the most romantic movie I've seen in a long time. It's the romantic comedy for people who don't like romantic comedies, the romantic comedy that won't hurt your brain with its stupidity, the first For all the perpetual grad students out there: this is the rare postmodern narrative in which the mechanics of metastory don't get in the way of deep emotion. This is the most romantic movie I've seen in a long time. It's the romantic comedy for people who don't like romantic comedies, the romantic comedy that won't hurt your brain with its stupidity, the first romantic comedy since at least 1960 whose leads aren't nitwits that you'd just as soon bitch-slap as watch for two hours. Kate Winslet is the most convincing Gen-X bookstore-haunting crazy girl I've seen yet in a major Hollywood movie (boo on previous attempts like Winona Ryder's too-cute wannabe filmmaker in Reality Bites and Bridget Fonda's boob-job-getting slacker waitress (snort!) in Singles). She's dazzling and infuriating in equal measure. Jim Carrey is actually sort of swoonworthy as a stodgy, bookish straight man. Oh yeah, and the movie does a good job of holding up the comedy half of the romantic-comedy label. Don't say you are sick of love until you've seen this movie. Collapse
  93. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Wonderful, so far the best movie of this year, another brilliant movie from the mind of Charlie Kaufman, easily the best performance of Carrey's career, equally wonderful is Winslet.
  94. SarahK.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Tremendous. I don't know if Charlie Kaufman can do any original screenplay wrong. The people I talked to who don't like it are the ones who want a movie to come to them and sit on their lap and just be. They don't enjoy movies where you have to think and be actively engaged. So if that's you, you might not like it. But if, on the other hand, you have spectacular taste Tremendous. I don't know if Charlie Kaufman can do any original screenplay wrong. The people I talked to who don't like it are the ones who want a movie to come to them and sit on their lap and just be. They don't enjoy movies where you have to think and be actively engaged. So if that's you, you might not like it. But if, on the other hand, you have spectacular taste in movies, do NOT miss this one. Expand
  95. JanelleB.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This movie has to be the best I've seen in a long time. One of the best in my life. The way it was filmed, the plot line, the suspense, the romance and the humor were all timed at the perfect moment, at times I felt like crying. It's amazing that people can make films this amazing, and that people would have enough imagination to come up wtih them.
  96. AustinW.
    Apr 4, 2004
    A brilliant movie. Exceptionally sad in some parts, but the good, heartbreaking kind of sad that makes you feel more human.
  97. DavidH.
    Apr 8, 2004
    Fantastic movie!!! Go see it for yourself ... then you will want to see it again. Warning: This movie is intended for mature audiences only. People who are entertained by brainless hollywood garbage (i.e. films starring Bruce Willis, Dennis Quaid, or Ashley Judd, etc.), please stay home.
  98. SeanM.
    Apr 9, 2004
    Overall, a great experience. Clementine seems to be the kind of girl that all guys look for to spice up a boring or uninteresting life. But that is not the role that she wants to play, Charlie Kaufman has conjured up a very smart and convincing story that portrays real human qualities through a very odd medium. It challenges the notion that we would be better off without certain memories, Overall, a great experience. Clementine seems to be the kind of girl that all guys look for to spice up a boring or uninteresting life. But that is not the role that she wants to play, Charlie Kaufman has conjured up a very smart and convincing story that portrays real human qualities through a very odd medium. It challenges the notion that we would be better off without certain memories, maybe that was true in the case of Clementine and Joel, there is no definite answer, it can go either way. Brilliant. Expand
  99. VassilisI.
    May 30, 2004
    Someone can say a lot about this film, focusing on the very good acting of Carrey/Winslet or the smart direction of the film. But no words can describe the way you feel after you see this movie... Yes, it's better to love than to be loved. The best film of this season.
  100. DerekG.
    May 8, 2004
    Absolutely brilliant.

1. Not only (Kaufman's) most accessible and romantic screenplay, it's his most complete. The third act works like a charm and pulls all his themes, characters and conflicts together beautifully.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    A wildly imaginative, hugely entertaining tour de force that asks big questions about life and love and fate while never ceasing to fully engage the viewer.
    Chases so many ideas that it threatens to spin out of control. But with our multiplexes stuffed with toxic Hollywood formula, it's a gift to find a ballsy movie that thinks it can do anything, and damn near does.