Magnet Releasing | Release Date: August 2, 2013
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 129 Ratings
WATCH NOW
emeraldcitySep 4, 2014
I thought this film started off very well but then the plot line became a bit mired for my tastes. The acting was fine but the script became to thin in the middle. It sort of went from being an intelligent and challenging film to being aI thought this film started off very well but then the plot line became a bit mired for my tastes. The acting was fine but the script became to thin in the middle. It sort of went from being an intelligent and challenging film to being a typical space disaster movie. I wonder why. The idea was interesting enough but it became improbable with creatures easily breaking through six feet of ice as if it was salt water taffy. I recommend it if you are looking for a hit of science fiction but it won't do for the evening by itself-you will finish watching t needing to see something else to break the mood of faint doom created by it. Expand
hoops2448Sep 2, 2013
The question of what else is out there in the universe is one that has wrapped our collective consciousness ever since Galileo discovered the Earth orbited the sun and we weren't as flat as everyone assumed we were. Europe Report is a filmThe question of what else is out there in the universe is one that has wrapped our collective consciousness ever since Galileo discovered the Earth orbited the sun and we weren't as flat as everyone assumed we were. Europe Report is a film that tries to answer the question while trying to terrify the viewer with predictable cares thought up years ago. When the crew of the Europa One are cut off from Earth when their communications are destroyed by a solar flare they are forced to do their mission alone, a multi year journey to Europa, a moon of Jupiter where scientists have discovered signs of possible life. Filled with meaning and deep philosophical questions about our role in this universe, Europa Report doesn't feel like a piece of entertainment, it feels like a science lesson video, a great looking science documentary that doesn't aim to entertain but make you wonder. It does what it says on the tin and makes you question things but it fails to entertain on a filmic level, it plays like a cliche ridden horror film that ends in a predictable way. The cast are good with the best performances coming from District 9's Sharlto Copley whose devoted family man is an interesting and unique addition to a horror film and he stands out from the pack, Michael Nyqvist also impresses as the guilt ridden and depressive lead engineer on the project. Embeth Davitz bookends the film as an overly emotional lead researcher down on Earth who provides context and relevance to the mission but all these attempts to make the film seem cosmically important make it a slow exercise in asking questions we cannot possibly know the answer to making for a slow paced exercise in futility. Expand
bob13bobOct 19, 2013
big sci-fi fan. Surprisingly light on substance, this movie is a sci-fi blair witch project, too stale of formula to be given a high rating. The budget was just too low to make this sort of movie. Throughout the middle of the movie itbig sci-fi fan. Surprisingly light on substance, this movie is a sci-fi blair witch project, too stale of formula to be given a high rating. The budget was just too low to make this sort of movie. Throughout the middle of the movie it just teases the audience's interest by alluding to mysterious event which happened (can't be more specific here without spoiling) earlier. Movies resort to this tease when It needs to stall out audience interest. The last act of the movie really needed some more budget, as you never escape the interior of the ship. Pretty lame as the audience has been waiting in anticipation. Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
A decent Sci-Fi that delivers on realism and some amazing scenes but falls back into the space horror cliche. For the most part the film takes place in the ship and we see them via on-board camera. This choice of filming has it ups and downsA decent Sci-Fi that delivers on realism and some amazing scenes but falls back into the space horror cliche. For the most part the film takes place in the ship and we see them via on-board camera. This choice of filming has it ups and downs but Sebastián Cordero was able to get some amazing shots especially when they are in their space suits.

The movie follows a team of 5 sent to Europa the fourth largest moon of Jupiter. This moon has water underneath it's ice sheets and they are going to be looking for bacteria in the ice and water near a weak spot. They end up being off course and end up needing someone to go outside and collect some surface samples. Karolina Wydra (Dr. Katya Petrovna) is the one to do it and while out there she finds algae growing on the ice. She is about to turn back to the ship when she sees and light underneath the ice going back and forth until she stands there in amazement until the ice brakes from beneath her. You basically already know whats going to happen and how it's going to end. A real cool thing is that the last person ends up offing themselves just to to record the monster on the camera.

Sharlto Copley the only real big actor in this and he is the first one to die off he doesn't even make it to Europa. Him and another crew mate have to go out into space to fix something on the spaceship and something goes wrong which leads to him drifting off into space to die of no oxygen. The film lends nothing to his death and it moves onto the next person like nothing happened.

Overall i give it a 6.5 While i do love the realism and the shots of space that are in this movie i just can't over the fact the when it comes down to it the movie ends up being another lost in space monster movie.
duncan1964Mar 29, 2015
The found footage genre is has been wearing incredibly thin for some time, so it's refreshing to see a film doing something slightly diffrent with it. Shown from the POV of onboard cameras on a spaceship on its way to Jupiters largest moon,The found footage genre is has been wearing incredibly thin for some time, so it's refreshing to see a film doing something slightly diffrent with it. Shown from the POV of onboard cameras on a spaceship on its way to Jupiters largest moon, Europa Report is a slowburn which builds to a interesting climax and doesn't opt for easy shock tactics. An obviously small budget is utilised well, and a cast of actors, usually seen in supporting roles, underplay their roles nicely. It's nothing earth shattering but kudos for trying to try something slightly different. Expand
Tss5078Dec 1, 2014
I've let my feeling be known many times on how I feel about these found footage documentary films, that use camcorders. They are lazy, usually have no storyline, and the constant camera movement is just nauseating. Europa Report is different,I've let my feeling be known many times on how I feel about these found footage documentary films, that use camcorders. They are lazy, usually have no storyline, and the constant camera movement is just nauseating. Europa Report is different, as the film is told through surveillance cameras, aboard a state of the art space ship. Europa is a privately funded mission to the sixth moon of Saturn, to investigate strange heat signatures detected by NASA, that could be alien lifeforms. The cinematography was better than most of these film, and there was somewhat of a back story, however Europa Report is really not much different than a million other similar films. Nothing really happens until they reach their destination, they find something strange, and then must decide if fighting for their lives is worth the potential for scientific discovery. I bet you can name a dozen other films that were similar. As for the cast, they were just like film, in that they were very average, with little to nothing of note. Science Fiction is my favorite genre and I'm always hoping these films will show me something new and excited, but as with Apollo 18, Mission To Mars, Sunshine, and Moon, I was extremely disappointed. Europa Report wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't unique in any way. If you haven't seen many films, you may be wowed by something like this, but if you're like me, all you're going to find is a very boring and unimaginative film. Expand
ToffenuffNov 28, 2013
Shot in a documentary-style with lots of jumping around and "live"/recorded camera feeds from the ship and from a handheld, which isn't a type of movie I generally like but I gave this a chance. The pacing and the order of things seemed aShot in a documentary-style with lots of jumping around and "live"/recorded camera feeds from the ship and from a handheld, which isn't a type of movie I generally like but I gave this a chance. The pacing and the order of things seemed a little jumbled and confused in the beginning but got better towards the middle I think they jumped around way too much. Arguably it did add to more to the mystery of what happened during the mission as well as helped to build some further tension, but I think the pacing and order of the scenes could have been done much better.

The performances by the cast were actually very good, and the characters did have some depth to them. That said there were a lot of strange actions, much involving plain disregard for protocols and safety measures that astronauts training for deep space missions would simply not do.

While evident that the budget wasn't exactly big, I think they did a good job with this movie. But the fact that I don't really like documentary-type films plus my dislike of the pacing, scene-order, and parts of the plot knock the rating down for me. Watchable and entertaining for the most part, but not exactly a movie I'd tell someone they have to see.
LeZeeDec 14, 2016
A thrilling and suspenseful space exploration film.

A thrilling and suspenseful space exploration film.

Space exploration themes are the next big thing in cinema, as well as in the real world. So there some good films, I mean not science fiction, but real science based films were made in the recent times. This is one looked like one of those until the final scene. According to be, it looked so good, but when the end came, it ruined everything.

It was more like a docu-adventure-drama, but was a found-footage type film. I wanted to see it ever since I saw 'The Last Days on Mars', because people were comparing between these two. I think both these titles looks same, except different planet exploration. The 99 per cent of the film looked like a real mission, except the conclusion.

The writer, director and all the actors did good. The entire story takes place on a spaceship and a few scenes on the Jupiter's moon Europa, obviously a setting. If you like space travel concepts, you will enjoy it. It was just like 'The Martian', but it did not have popular actors, otherwise would have made a little buzz. Most of you have already seen it, if not try it, it is worth if you are a sci-fi fan.

BrianMcCriticAug 6, 2013
A very well made film, but it's not a sci-fi game changer. There is a lot of scenes that give a realistic look of what it might feel like to be in space. B-
BritishWolfSep 16, 2015
The film was remarkably better than I expected. However, the film was not that well directed and lacked an inspiring story. The ending was not that great either.