6.8

1. Oct 19, 2012
    This movie has a certain cult status, which implies that it has no real status, and let me tell you why: IT SUCKS on an gargantuan level.
    The first 20 minutes or so are actually pretty good in setting up the mysterious mood, but after the crew enters the "Event Horizon" the movie disintegrates into a string of horror movie cliches. There is really no story at all, the crew is forgettable
    (except for the two leads) and plausibility and creativity fly straight out of the air-lock.

This is "haunted house" schlock in space, stay away from this stinker.
  2. Mar 3, 2013
    This is by far one of the worst movies I have ever seen! The story is awful, it is really boring, and it makes absolutely no sense. I don't know how anyone could give this a 10.
  3. Mar 15, 2013
    Nothing of value other than a really good intro soundtrack. Nonsensical plot that goes no where, characters you don't care about, an ending that concludes nothing. We never see "in" the event horizon. Just the results of what happens when others see the event horizon.
  4. Jan 10, 2014
    The biggest problem with this movie is that it is all build up with no bang. Imagine staring at a bomb. You watch the bomb's timer count down from 10 and as the counter reaches 0, nothing happens. The bomb doesn't detonate and you go about your day. If you pardon this weak analogy, it is actually a perfect comparison to this film. Every time something tense happens there is no payoff. Its all build up to nothing. For example while avoiding spoilers, a character will be in a room of the ship and they get the feeling of being watched. They snoop around for five minutes and nothing happens. Its extremely annoying and makes the entire film lack any sense of dread as you know no matter what you think will happen, nothing will. On top of that characters all act stupid, as they ignore things imperative to their survival that have had explained to them. One of the characters is so stupid that I was actually glad that they died. Only a few deaths seem to feel authentic to something that would actually happen in the given situation. Most of them however seem fabricated by "horror movie syndrome" with people acting stupid just so we can watch them die. So along with stupid characters, and weak horror aspects my biggest gripe with this film is of how much wasted potential it had. At the beginning the movie was giving Dead Space vibes. This is nothing short of a good thing as DS is one of my favorite video games series ever. But as it progressed what seemed like a movie that was going to be DS or Aliens-like slowly turned into a House on Haunted Hill (the 1999 version), IN SPAAAAACCCCEEE! I do not recommend this film. Although the atmosphere is amazing and the acting is actually pretty good, halfway through the film it just turned into a different movie. A stupid one. Expand
  5. MTP
    Apr 30, 2013
    I can't tell you how this ends because I could not stand to watch it any more. I knew from the beginning that it was doomed when they relied on attempts at startling the viewer(s?) with sudden over the top volume music in scenes that did not deserve it. Why would you resort to this in the early stages of a movie when it is not warranted? Probably because this movie does not warrant being watched unless you just like to watching Si-Fi Goth sets. I give it a 1 because it is just a bad movie but I have to leave room for the really terrible ones. If the studio really wanted to piss away 50M$ I have suggestions and none include making crap like this. Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    Its cinematography and production design are amazing, but it's ultimately a terrible movie filled with bad acting, cheap scares, and an unbelievable plot.

From its marketing-impaired title on down, Event Horizon is a steadily churning debacle that promises much more than it can deliver and ends up drowning in a crimson sea of gore and maddeningly out-of-place steals from other, better genre shockers.
    The screenplay creates a sense of foreboding and afterboding, but no actual boding.
    Half of what's going on is never explained, and what is explained, doesn't make much sense. And that's just the beginning of the problems encountered in director Paul Anderson's ("Mortal Kombat") poorly executed endeavor.