6.5

1. Mar 12, 2014
    Will's more dramatic acting shows in "Everything Must Go" and like most of his acting, you can believe it. Just like you can believe this film. A good drama. I might just say, and essence of perfection.
  2. Aug 1, 2013
    This movie was a free bonus for our new TV, so we gave it a try. The story is pretty generic and the twists are expectable, but still some moments are pretty touching. Overall a decent movie for one watch.
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    There's no possibility that this film will be as effective and impactful in ten years or so, it's Everything Must Go's current relevance and immediate dramatic potential in the present economically uncertain world that makes it work so well. The plot structure has been seen many times before, and you can see the plot twists coming a mile off, but almost everything is done exceptionally. Performances are great across the board, with Will Ferrell proving he has the talent for comedy, tragedy and the in-between. Rebecca Hall is good as always, but everyone is put to shame by the young Christopher C.J. Wallace, who has great chemistry with Ferrell, and who is a real talent to watch in the future. Everything Must Go is expertly crafted, funny and engaging, wearing its old-fashionedness as a badge of honour and using it to its maximum potential as an archaic but symbolically effective modern take on a New Deal-era film. The way it promotes A Christmas Carol-worthy redemptive story arc and throws in some strong themes including depression, alcoholism and the evils of capitalism, it feels like a Frank Capra film for the modern era, and for that reason it's a joy to watch. Collapse
  4. Aug 10, 2012
    Arguably one of the most underrated films of the year, as Dan Rush's adaptation of the Raymond Carter short story is nothing short of absolute genius. Meanwhile, Will Ferrell seems to relish the opportunity to flex his acting muscles here, as he delivers a powerful performance.
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    Pretty decent movie. Will Ferrell plays the part well. Rather slow, however if you wait until the end and stick with it it is good. not really funny, but the plot is good. It is a rather upbeat movie. Not the greatest in the world but if you have the time watch it.
  6. Jun 22, 2012
    At a certain point, I realized this movie was not going to get any better, so I stopped watching it. I can still I it wasn't bad, just boring. It's basically based on a drunk man having a yard sale for over a week.
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    Comedy is hard. The hardest, so I hear. When you are at the top of your game as a comedian, you should be able to act. So when comedians like Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler and, in this case, Will Ferrell, attempt drama, assuming the script is right, it should work, but it doesn't always turn out that way. While the script to "Everything Must Go" isn't perfect, Will's performance is darn close. He doesn't, at any point, try to morph into the Will we have come to know in his comedic roles. The story is sad, depressing and real. And Will plays the role perfectly. I feel his sadness, depression, progression through the stages he's moving through as a result of enduring a lot in such a short time. For a many who can command so much in his film roles, I truly hope he does more low-budget, well-written roles like this. He's worth it. Expand
  8. May 21, 2012
    This is the definition of an indie movie. Awkward yet still good. Good acting, not a horrible story. Not exactly funny yet not exactly a complete drama. Definitely have to see it yourself to get a good opinion of it.
  9. Apr 6, 2012
    Agree with Jaded1, slow, boring film that doesn't go anywhere. And Will Ferrell doesn't act at all, he just pretty much plays himself, there's no acting talent exhibited here. It's like the whole film is on 'ludes. Don't waste your time, watching any syndicated show on right now (think Simpsons, Family Guy) gets you better entertainment value.
  10. Jan 10, 2012
    Not really a good movie. And they could have used a different actor. Everyone is used to Will Farrell playing in comedies but this story is just sad. When i watched did not know its a drama so i was kind of waiting for something funny to happen and started thinking that just not getting the jokes but reality was: there are no jokes. Keep to the comedy Will.
  11. Dec 13, 2011
    "Everything Must Go" has two things going for it that really make it a worthwhile movie experience. First, Will Ferrell gives the best performance of his career. Here, he doesn't rely on his trademark shouting or his random one liners to captivate us. Instead, he delivers a very low-key nuanced performance that gets us to care about his character's situation. Second, the script by Dan Rush is wonderfully honest. It carries the film along at a nice steady pace and every moment rings true. There's no manipulation here. Rush also does a nice job of keeping this seemingly simple premise interesting. He's able to pull back the layers of Ferrell's character and give us details about his situation at just the right time. Now we've seen elements of Ferrell's character in other movies. Because of this, "Everything Must Go" isn't the most engrossing of character studies. But Ferrell plays it so well that you can't help but get involved in his situation. If you're strictly a fan of Ferrell's comedies, avoid this one. But if you're a fan of Ferrell as an actor, you can't miss this. Ferrell proves that he's more than just a comedic actor. He can handle drama just as well and deliver something special. Expand
  12. Nov 15, 2011
    Will Ferrell steps out of his shoes and fits in another size perfectly as he isn't seen as the obnoxious one this time around but acts more of a true underdog. A little too mellow of a movie but will somehow tease your interest to keep watching.
  13. Sep 24, 2011
    Wow ... the scores here are way off base for me. I'm trying to understand what was good about this movie? Did the critics like it because Will Ferrel is a serious actor (story still sucks and is depressing) or they like depressing crap that goes absolutely no where. They should call this A Pathetic Drunk Lives On His Lawn. I can't feel sorry for Will Ferrel's character in this movie as he brings all the problems on himself. It's not that he is wronged by anyone really. He's a drunk who loses it all and wallows in self-pity for 2 hours. I like movies that are either interesting or fun. This is neither. I'd rather have gone to work than sit through this waste of time. Also when the critics say "Will Ferrell at his best!" that is code for he is NOT funny or trying to be. Like Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love ... blah ... don't get me started on that one. Stay away from this if you like Will Ferrel as a comedy actor. Expand
  14. Aug 19, 2011
    We wait he entire time for a pay off by Will Farrells character but it just never happens. The film is a out of focus random drama fest. Sure it is indie but just way to boring. Trust me when I say this is by no means Farrells fault he plays the character well and you root for him the entire time, it's just a shame that by rooting for this character you are just wasting an hour and a half of your life (Just like the drunken loser that he plays) Enjoyable but pointless Expand
  15. May 30, 2011
    Will Farrell does NOT go for laughs in this mild-mannered drama. He plays a guy who gets fired and kicked out of his house on the same day. Since his wife threw his stuff out on the lawn, he takes up residence in his front yard. While the situation is interesting, the energy level stays at a constant, unexciting hum. There are no dramatic peaks or valleys and no humor to provide contrast. For a man whose life has crumbled, this film takes shallow, slow approach to his condition. Expand
  16. May 23, 2011
    Nick Halsey has just been fired from his job of 16 years as vice-president of sales. It wasnâ
  17. May 21, 2011
    Viewing this film is like watching a field of laminated dicks grow. This has to be one of the most bipolar motion pictures in the history of mankind. The crapbomb that is "Everything Must Go" seems to suffer from a severe identity crises, as it cannot make up its mind whether it is a serious and depressing tale, or a dark comedy. I give it two thumbs up your ass.
  18. May 17, 2011
    It's by no means an "easy" or fun movie, though there are certainly light moments. Will Farrell is awesome, as is Rebecca Hall. The story is dreary, and it stays realistically so to its credit. I thought it would be a Leaving-Las-Vegas-Light, and it's not that, but it's rough. I'm glad I saw it, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I definitely want to see W.F. in more serious roles in the future. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    May 16, 2011
    There are not a lot of laughs in Dan Rush's directorial debut, nor are there intended to be. Rush keeps the tone as light as possible, but no one would mistake this for anything other than a quirky, character-based drama.
  2. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 14, 2011
    If these developments sound slight and meandering, so is the movie. Everything Must Go has a spacious, under-inhabited feeling.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 14, 2011
    If there is a single image that we take away from Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman," it is of Willy Loman weighted down to his very soul by his suitcases. The image that holds in this modern-day salesman's serenade is Nick the salesman reduced to selling off his own life.