Evil Dead (2013)

7.4

1. Apr 9, 2013
    For those who know the originals (I loved ED2), the story's pretty much the same. If you don't, it's still familiar: a group in a cabin unleashes an evil presence. Unlike the originals, this one is mostly dull. Many of the goriest killings are camouflaged with bad editing. The makeup efx on "Walking Dead" are better. Is anyone frightened by creepy eyes and twitching anymore? The pacingFor those who know the originals (I loved ED2), the story's pretty much the same. If you don't, it's still familiar: a group in a cabin unleashes an evil presence. Unlike the originals, this one is mostly dull. Many of the goriest killings are camouflaged with bad editing. The makeup efx on "Walking Dead" are better. Is anyone frightened by creepy eyes and twitching anymore? The pacing lacks momentum and the overbearing music just seems silly. There are a few fun moments and the cinematography is simply beautiful. By modern genre standards, this doesn't even hold up to the old standards. NOTE: Stick thru the credits for a groovy homage. Expand
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    This is real Sam Raimi and Fede Alverez entertainment. Evil Deal is a remake of the 1981 horror classic and its way more better now with mind blowing special effects and good chilly scares! The story is good and the scares are nail bitingly good. The film has a point of its slashing gore 24/7 thing, it stands up for its horror and super gory concept! It's a GOOD movie. What else can youThis is real Sam Raimi and Fede Alverez entertainment. Evil Deal is a remake of the 1981 horror classic and its way more better now with mind blowing special effects and good chilly scares! The story is good and the scares are nail bitingly good. The film has a point of its slashing gore 24/7 thing, it stands up for its horror and super gory concept! It's a GOOD movie. What else can you expect from the team of Alverez and Raimi? Nothing but a good, chilly, horrific, gorefest! BloodyDisgusting.com is right about this film being seen once and getting or giving 10/10 entertainment stars! And I agree its a 10/10 entertainment movie! Expand
  3. Jan 22, 2015
    Horror movie remakes, or really just remakes of any kind, are rarely any good. However this is one of those movies that manages to go against that. Granted it's nowhere near as good as the original, but it manages to take the plot and key scenes from that movie and provide a unique take that proves to be enjoyable.

The scares are of the jump variety. I was surprised to find though that

The scares are of the jump variety. I was surprised to find though that a few of them are effective. However the real star here is the gore. Buckets of blood and mutilation are present just like in the original. The brutality and sickness of the acts onscreen help capture some feeling that made the 1981 classic so loved. There's even a bit of it's humor here and there.

The issue with this remake is that the characters are much dumber than in the original. They make the same dumb mistakes horror movie victims were making back in the original Friday the 13th movies. The worst offender is the guy who causes everything to start. Yeah, just ignore all those warnings genius. It can get a little insulting at times that the director and co-writer Fede Alvarez expects us to believe that people would really be that dumb in the scenarios on display here. I mean there would at least be one smart person among them, right? Even worse is that it leads to a drawn out chase scene at the end.

Despite my irritation at the moronic characters I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the movie. I found it to be a pretty great throwback. I believe that those unfamiliar with the original will find a great modern horror movie here, and those who have watched the original will get a kick out of this new take on it. Even if it isn't as good. It's a solid remake and a pretty great modern horror movie.
  4. Jul 3, 2013
    The cast was average, Lou Taylor Pucci (aka Eric) played his part very well and was the only good actor on the cast imo. The plot follows the original quite closely, of course it is a remake, and I have no problem with that. I love the gore scenes though, They were very well done. Both scary and enjoyable at the same time, That's what I liked most about them. However, The film's pacing wasThe cast was average, Lou Taylor Pucci (aka Eric) played his part very well and was the only good actor on the cast imo. The plot follows the original quite closely, of course it is a remake, and I have no problem with that. I love the gore scenes though, They were very well done. Both scary and enjoyable at the same time, That's what I liked most about them. However, The film's pacing was very off, It was either too slow paced (as it was in the beginning) or it was too fast (during the last 40 mins or so). It was sort of annoying to deal with.

That being said, I just didn't care for it as much as I hoped I would. I really don't know why but I just couldn't get into it like I did the original trilogy. It certainly wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't a good one either.
  5. Jun 2, 2013
    There is a lot of gore here withe a story that allows me to at least recommend seeing it once if you like horror movies. Don't go in expecting to care about any of the characters cause you won't.
  6. Mar 14, 2014
    out of all the scary films i saw on my tv i never saw a movie that had so much blood . sure a 1981 evil dead was good but this is one of the gore fest movies i had ever seen . sure i saw james wan's saw and it wasnt epic as evil dead remake . but i wish evil dead remake had a sequel
  7. Nov 22, 2014
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen in the theatre. This remake has nothing on the original. It loaded with a bit two much gore. I did like the upgrade in the special effects to make everything look a little bit scarier. This adaptation didn't develop enough individuality. It relied too much on the original film for inspiration. There are some movies that just shouldn't be remade. TheOne of the worst movies I've ever seen in the theatre. This remake has nothing on the original. It loaded with a bit two much gore. I did like the upgrade in the special effects to make everything look a little bit scarier. This adaptation didn't develop enough individuality. It relied too much on the original film for inspiration. There are some movies that just shouldn't be remade. The Evil Dead is one of them. Expand
  8. Apr 18, 2013
    This remake of the original Sam Raimi film does what one expects of a horror film. It is suspenseful, full of atmosphere and foreboding, and bloody, very bloody. It is also totally entertaining without the slow patches that more po faced critically acclaimed films often suffer from. Good horror films these days are also full of great production values and this one is no exception. It hasThis remake of the original Sam Raimi film does what one expects of a horror film. It is suspenseful, full of atmosphere and foreboding, and bloody, very bloody. It is also totally entertaining without the slow patches that more po faced critically acclaimed films often suffer from. Good horror films these days are also full of great production values and this one is no exception. It has brilliant visuals, not only in the effects and make up but in the superb lighting of it's cinematography. The insistent music score is also amazing and the sound design adds immeasurably to the scare quotient. Sure, there are a couple of unintentional laughs involving severed arms, but in reality this just adds to the fun and relieves some tension. Overall this can stand up and be counted as a great example of its genre. Sam Raimi, one hopes, would approve. Expand
  9. Apr 9, 2014
    Okay just to make things clear: There is way TOO MUCH BLOOD! The beginning is ok but not original, but when the action starts there is a lot of good horror and action scenes.I am not saying i don't like when there is too much blood on movies but for this one it's overrated. A good movie but not extraordinary, he can stay in our mind but not if you find something better
  10. Sep 23, 2013
    To be honest, I had expected so much more from this movie. Unforetunately it really is nothing special. Just another generic gory horror movie.

Narrative more or less follows the original. Improving some parts making the movie feel a little more grounded at times and a little more real. Unfortunately this is what is wrong with it. The original was also flawed but it at least had it's charm and almost goofy, yet horrifying, tone. The Evil Dead remake is just focusing on the horrifying and turning it up to ridiculously high levels. The characters this time round are so underdeveloped that you really do not care at all about them. They might as well have MEAT stamped on their foreheads.Jane Levy is perhaps the only character that did get my attention and I really do love the twist involving her close to the end, nice little nod to the original and also giving it its own interpretation.

As a horror, it does have its share of scares and creepy moments. Gore fanatics will love this movie. There is ALLOT of blood and gore. The practical effects just make everything so much more sickening. Nice to see some old school FX at work.

Overall:
    If anything, this movie's biggest fail has got to be the name it has to live up to. It doesn't. It tries too hard to stay loyal to the source material, but takes away so much that made the original what it was. It's a good attempt, but I don't think you can make an Evil Dead movie without Bruce Campbell.

Also: The gore did get a little too needlessly excessive closer to the end. In the original, it was a little goofy. In this one, it feels like gore-fore-the-sake-of-gore.
  11. Apr 5, 2013
    This remake of the 1981 classic really delivers. It's very entertaining in a scary sense and in a gory sense. The only real problem about this movie is that it's too short. An amazing horror thriller like this should be at least 2 hours long. Not 91 minutes. Just too short. Overall, it's a scary/gory good time you'll have at the movies this year.
  12. Jul 24, 2013
    Wow! This is one hell of a movie and a fantastic remake of what was already a pretty awesome film, but updated for today's generation. It should please most fans of the original as well as newbies that are not aware of it, but it's certainly up there as the film with the most blood I have ever seen, as well as having the most cringe-worthy moments :P Nothing but solid entertainmentWow! This is one hell of a movie and a fantastic remake of what was already a pretty awesome film, but updated for today's generation. It should please most fans of the original as well as newbies that are not aware of it, but it's certainly up there as the film with the most blood I have ever seen, as well as having the most cringe-worthy moments :P Nothing but solid entertainment throughout and I would highly recommend it to any Horror fans, and its now one of my all-time favourite films! Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2013
    A far too serious remake of a genius film. The main characters are not likeable and it isn't until towards the end where the film really becomes enjoyable.
  14. Apr 5, 2013
    A masterpiece of terror, not so perfect, but good movie.
  15. Jul 13, 2013
    Groovy, terrifying and incredibly entertaining. Evil Dead 2013 (unlike most remakes) is made with complete care to the original and pays plenty of fan service as well. Viewers can expect an intense, extremely gory and brutally terrifying instalment that never has a dull moment thanks to great cinematography, a nice pace and realistic prosthetics that make all the over-the-top and gruesomeGroovy, terrifying and incredibly entertaining. Evil Dead 2013 (unlike most remakes) is made with complete care to the original and pays plenty of fan service as well. Viewers can expect an intense, extremely gory and brutally terrifying instalment that never has a dull moment thanks to great cinematography, a nice pace and realistic prosthetics that make all the over-the-top and gruesome violence feel very real. Featuring great performances from Jane Levy and Lou Taylor Pucci and a horrifyingly chilling soundtrack, Evil Dead 2013 is a must see for any horror fan. Stay behind the end credits for an incredibly groovy surprise. Expand
  16. Sep 2, 2014
    This is probably the goriest widely released Hollywood film ever made. It's an extremely entertaining reboot of the infamous Evil Dead series, and "Evil Dead" is not just a shot-for-shot remake of the original; it's a completely different movie with new characters and plot points. The acting is okay from most of the actors, and the cinematography is great as well. I definitely recommendThis is probably the goriest widely released Hollywood film ever made. It's an extremely entertaining reboot of the infamous Evil Dead series, and "Evil Dead" is not just a shot-for-shot remake of the original; it's a completely different movie with new characters and plot points. The acting is okay from most of the actors, and the cinematography is great as well. I definitely recommend this to anyone who can stomach a lot of blood and gore. Expand
  17. May 25, 2014
    The first Evil Dead was neither comical or "fun" when it first came out it was horrifying, gory, and relentless. Such as this film is. It also keeps in the tradition of each film being a different genre piece. Evil Dead was horror, Evil Dead 2 was horror comedy, and Army was comedy. People seem to completely forget the original Evil Dead and talk about Evil Dead 2 like it's the first. TheThe first Evil Dead was neither comical or "fun" when it first came out it was horrifying, gory, and relentless. Such as this film is. It also keeps in the tradition of each film being a different genre piece. Evil Dead was horror, Evil Dead 2 was horror comedy, and Army was comedy. People seem to completely forget the original Evil Dead and talk about Evil Dead 2 like it's the first. The only reason "Evil Dead" would be considered funny is due to its age and acting. This movie was fantastic, scary, non-stop, and crazy entertaining. Sure the film isn't perfect, but it makes up for that by being a blast to watch.

Overall I give this movie a 7.0 i will be buying this and re-watching many times
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    The remake of the Evil dead series by Sam Raimi does live up to it's reputation from the first film which is gruesome and bloody, but does forget the humor-- One of the things that made the very film popular in the first place.
  19. Oct 14, 2013
    "Evil Dead" comes across as more of a gruesome homage, alienating itself from fans looking for the franchise's trademark of unrelenting gore and tongue-in-cheek humor. The latter-day version of "Evil Dead," directed by Fede Alvarez, keeps the main focus on the gruesome element alone. Full of old-school effects, without any assistance from CGI, Alvarez's franchise entry has little to none"Evil Dead" comes across as more of a gruesome homage, alienating itself from fans looking for the franchise's trademark of unrelenting gore and tongue-in-cheek humor. The latter-day version of "Evil Dead," directed by Fede Alvarez, keeps the main focus on the gruesome element alone. Full of old-school effects, without any assistance from CGI, Alvarez's franchise entry has little to none of Raimi's humor, but certainly delivers on the carnage and bloodshed.

The heart of story remains intact: five college-age men and women head off to an isolated cabin in the woods. They are staging an intervention designed to get Mia (Jane Levy), who is no longer able to socially use heroin. Her four supporters are her estranged brother, David (Shiloh Fernandez), and his personality-devoid girlfriend, Natalie (Elizabeth Blackmore), registered nurse Olivia (Jessica Lucas), and Eric (Lou Taylor Pucci). In the cabin's dark, damp basement, they discover the Necronomicon, or better known as the book of the dead. Eric, in an act of overt horror movie stupidity, starts reading passages from the Necronomicon unknowingly unleashing the demons.

In his first feature film, Uruguayan director and co-scriptwriter Fede Alvarez demonstrates his wild imagination, and displays his talent for delivering the squirm-inducing images of body mutilations and other numerous atrocities. A nail gun, an electric carving knife, and a chainsaw all have their moment in the spotlight as weapons. What this new entry lacks entirely, which is so prevalent in the other movies in the franchise, is the tongue-in-cheek humor that accompanies the over-the-top gore and violence.

In the three decades since Raimi made "Evil Dead," many have copied, adapted, or borrowed from his low-budget playbook. It's extremely challenging to pull off something original, amusing, and truly horrifying all at once. That is exactly what made last year's "Cabin in the Woods" (2012) such a clever, entertaining watch, and a terrific addition to the genre. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, who directed and co-starred in the original horror classic, have production credits in this component, yet ultimately disappointing remake. Take away the name of "Evil Dead," and you're left with a movie that features your typical brainless characters who exist simply for elimination through horrific methods.
  20. Jun 4, 2013
    "Without a doubt the most sadistic, gruesome and just plain terrifying film i have had the pleasure of seeing. The Evil Dead is gory, disgusting & pays homage to the original while all the same giving the fans the blood and carnage we have been waiting for" A
  21. Apr 5, 2013
    First off, if you're a fan of the original series, stay to the VERY end of the credits. I enjoyed the movie contrary to public opinion, there is humor in it, just not nearly as much as the originals. And it's not as charming. Tons of graphic violence, mutilation, and gore, but you don't feel for the characters as much as I'd have liked. It's almost a tribute to the original with theFirst off, if you're a fan of the original series, stay to the VERY end of the credits. I enjoyed the movie contrary to public opinion, there is humor in it, just not nearly as much as the originals. And it's not as charming. Tons of graphic violence, mutilation, and gore, but you don't feel for the characters as much as I'd have liked. It's almost a tribute to the original with the new treatment of the Necromicon and the "quick" camera through the forest. In 10 years, if I had my pick of this film or the original, it's an easy decision. Gotta go with Raimi and Bruce Campbell. Expand
  22. Apr 17, 2013
    It's one hell of a gore-fest, plain and simple. We all know what is going to happen before the film starts.....you know it, I know it. The result is nothing short of spectacular because it is so gloriously done. It takes all the best parts of the Evil Dead films and makes one master entry of all. There is no camp, no slapstick.....it just takes itself seriously and that above all else isIt's one hell of a gore-fest, plain and simple. We all know what is going to happen before the film starts.....you know it, I know it. The result is nothing short of spectacular because it is so gloriously done. It takes all the best parts of the Evil Dead films and makes one master entry of all. There is no camp, no slapstick.....it just takes itself seriously and that above all else is what makes it work. Expand
  23. Apr 9, 2013
    It was unbelievably so much better than the original. The character development was good, it was way more entertaining, it was way more realistic, and the ending was way better. Despite it being disgustingly gruesome and at times I covered my eyes in the movie theater, I felt that it really brought a new kind of style to the horror genre. I can't wait until Army Of Darkness 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  24. Jun 7, 2015
    Sanguinário e perturbante, dizer que ficou apenas na base de cenas sanguinárias seria um erro, é perturbador cada cena demostrada, o medo é realmente demostrado, os personagens sabem agir de acordo com cada cena.
  25. Jul 15, 2013
    It has all the gory and violence of the original without it's ASH (Bruce Campbell's cult role) and smart humor and wit. You can enjoy this movie, if you are into horror movies in general. In this case it is a decent movie. Nothing special though. If you see it as a remake of the original, it is a huge disappointment. It is too "self-serious", and not a deliberately cheesy and funny as theIt has all the gory and violence of the original without it's ASH (Bruce Campbell's cult role) and smart humor and wit. You can enjoy this movie, if you are into horror movies in general. In this case it is a decent movie. Nothing special though. If you see it as a remake of the original, it is a huge disappointment. It is too "self-serious", and not a deliberately cheesy and funny as the original. It was missing the spirit of Sam Raimi's direction also. Go watch the original Expand
  26. Apr 29, 2013
    A valiant effort as far as horror remakes go. It never feels like you're just watching a rehashed version of the original as there's a lot of elements in terms of character and plot that take things in a new direction. The characters were a little wooden and there were a few miss-placed sentimental moments but as a whole it captures the spirit of the original and I'm glad I paid to see itA valiant effort as far as horror remakes go. It never feels like you're just watching a rehashed version of the original as there's a lot of elements in terms of character and plot that take things in a new direction. The characters were a little wooden and there were a few miss-placed sentimental moments but as a whole it captures the spirit of the original and I'm glad I paid to see it on the big screen. Definitely worth a watch Expand
  27. Jul 29, 2013
    Same story, but much more bloody and humorless. That's not to say it's a bad film, but despite it's name it's not an Evil Dead film either. Some scenes mimic Japanese horror flicks like The Ring and the excessive gore and violence is copied from the SAW legacy. But if you're gonna make a bleak and serious horror movie you have to go all the way -which the French have done very well theSame story, but much more bloody and humorless. That's not to say it's a bad film, but despite it's name it's not an Evil Dead film either. Some scenes mimic Japanese horror flicks like The Ring and the excessive gore and violence is copied from the SAW legacy. But if you're gonna make a bleak and serious horror movie you have to go all the way -which the French have done very well the last couple of years- but there it falls short. The young actors are just uncharismatic zombie fodder (you won't care if they live) who can't replace the memory of Bruce Campell (who got a nice cheque as the producer on this film sellout). The closest thing I've seen to Evil Dead is from Mr. Raimi himself: Drag Me to Hell. Better watch that if haven't seen it yet instead of this film. Expand
  28. Jun 29, 2013
    Evil Dead is a first rate horror movie with a pleasant and developed plot with fascinating but scary as hell practical effects. It is the best horror movie out since Cabin in the Woods.
  29. Aug 31, 2013
    It's mediocre. I have to say that the classic one is better than this one. There were some parts that gore shouldn't be. My favourite genre is horror, but this one is not good. It's not bad too though.
  30. Apr 7, 2013
    Everything that you expect from a real entertaining horror movie, you will find in Evil Dead. Evil Dead has everything in horror movies, it is a slasher movie, demons, gruesome, possessing, it is a pact of different genre of horror movies, the thing is, it never tops the original, and I wish it was scarier than it is, and it is not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, it isEverything that you expect from a real entertaining horror movie, you will find in Evil Dead. Evil Dead has everything in horror movies, it is a slasher movie, demons, gruesome, possessing, it is a pact of different genre of horror movies, the thing is, it never tops the original, and I wish it was scarier than it is, and it is not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, it is just a great horror movie. Expand
  31. Apr 5, 2013
    The most fun I've had at a horror film in years.
  32. Jun 24, 2013
    The Evil Dead is actually one of the scariest movies ever, and it is one of the best classics, the remake Evil Dead is as good as the first, with better budget and better improves, but is Evil Dead (2013) scary as the The Evil Dead (1981) No. Evil Dead is extremely scary funny ride, with good acting and great story which is really improved!
  33. Apr 5, 2013
    I haven't seen the original, but if it's anything like this (or better like I hear) it is number one on my to do list. This was engaging, darkly comedic and entertaining. Sure it had stupid characters and cliche scares, but what else do you expect at this point? It's a love letter to horror films and fans of the old films will not be disappointed.
  34. Mar 12, 2014
    Good movie to pass the time. It is scary in some aspects but the high inclusion of blood and masochist situations gives the movie a lack of approach to suspense and therefore, the aspects that people want to see in a real horror movie, but at last, it is entertaining and funny in certain way, regardless it is a thriller/horror film.
  35. May 13, 2013
    What a film! For someone who only watches horror films occassionally this film was really, really good. Sure the acting isn't perfect and some of the actions these characters take is obviously wrong, but within the context of this film is fitting.

As everyone has said the minimal use of CGI and gore at the right moments is what make this film very effective at scaring you. In addition to the poignant use of gore, the length of the film and a non too predictable storyline had been hooked from start to finish.

You know you've seen a great horror film when you leave and see girls crying or fainting outside the cinema. This is not a film for those you can't cope with realistic gore and horror.

If you want to see this please do and hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did.
  36. Dec 11, 2014
    Summary: It fails to provide enough black humor and scares. 44/100 [C-]

Summary: It fails to provide enough black humor and scares. 44/100 [C-]

Five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin. When they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival. Evil Dead is directed by Federico Álvarez, he's an Uruguayan director. It also boasts a well known cast like Jane Levy and Shiloh Fernandez. Moving on, I actually liked the first hour of the film but my main problem is the over-the-top final act. It was too gory and exaggerated. Although its first hour is very entertaining and quite scary, the last 30 minutes are a truly bloody mess.

The opening scene is truly terrifying and extremely violent. I also like that the film does not use too much CGI, the special effects are practical and everything looks realistic. It definitely boasts some bloody and violent moments that fans of the original will enjoy, but another problem with Evil Dead (2013) is that it wasn't genuine enough, it's a shame that the movie relies on gore and forgets about its own narrative coherence. It's excessively gory, especially in its final act, it was too much. Also, most of the scariest scenes are in the trailer! However, it's still worth watching if you're a horror fan. As I said, I enjoyed the first hour, the rest of the movie was pretty messy.

It seems like it wants to copy the unique black humor from the old ones. Moving on, there's a scene after credits that you will probably enjoy, especially if you're a fan of the Evil Dead saga. I recommend it if you're a huge fan of gory horror movies and I also recommend it if you're fan of the franchise, but you shouldn't have very high expectations. I do not recommend it if you're not fan of the horror genre or if you expect interesting characters. In conclusion, this movie is just gory and nothing more, the characters are not engrossing enough and some of the black humor just doesn't work. It's awkwardly unfunny, there isn't a balance between the horror and the comedy. [C-]
  37. Apr 7, 2013
    Though this may come off as faint praise to some, "Evil Dead" is one of the best horror remakes of the last decade. While not as good as the original, the film does enough right on it's own to make it a solid horror film. With an earthy color palette and thrillingly morbid score, it immerses the viewer into an atmosphere full of dread, tension, and claustrophobia. Most of theThough this may come off as faint praise to some, "Evil Dead" is one of the best horror remakes of the last decade. While not as good as the original, the film does enough right on it's own to make it a solid horror film. With an earthy color palette and thrillingly morbid score, it immerses the viewer into an atmosphere full of dread, tension, and claustrophobia. Most of the cinematography is beautiful, and some of the images displayed hit the primal fear nerve quite efficiently. The gore scenes are effectively tense and brutal in a way that isn't mean-spirited, and the practical effects are some of the best I've seen in a modern horror film. On the downside: some of the acting is rather weak, a couple of the characters are underdeveloped, and the editing is somewhat choppy at points. Though "Evil Dead" is not without it's flaws, I enjoyed it all the way through to it's thrilling and gleefully gory finale. Expand
  38. Apr 8, 2013
    Evil Dead fan here. This movie was actually decent for a horror movie. Think Evil Dead with a budget, but missing the comical genius of Bruce Campbell. In the original, the actors outside of Bruce Campbell were terrible, but in this film everyone does a decent job. Also, glad that they used hardly any CGI, and went mostly with traditional makeup. I don't think we needed a reboot of theEvil Dead fan here. This movie was actually decent for a horror movie. Think Evil Dead with a budget, but missing the comical genius of Bruce Campbell. In the original, the actors outside of Bruce Campbell were terrible, but in this film everyone does a decent job. Also, glad that they used hardly any CGI, and went mostly with traditional makeup. I don't think we needed a reboot of the film, but as a movie it's pretty entertaining. Expand
  39. Apr 12, 2013
    First off. Its a B rated movie that could not have cost more then 25,000.00 to make. 2nd off. I think you would have to be severely intoxicated to give this movie more then a 1 out of 10. Bad acting, bad plot if you can even call it one. Did I mention bad acting. Where did they find these so called actors? Oh yeah, B rated movie with 25,00.00 budget. I want my money back. This movieFirst off. Its a B rated movie that could not have cost more then 25,000.00 to make. 2nd off. I think you would have to be severely intoxicated to give this movie more then a 1 out of 10. Bad acting, bad plot if you can even call it one. Did I mention bad acting. Where did they find these so called actors? Oh yeah, B rated movie with 25,00.00 budget. I want my money back. This movie wouldn't even be scary if you watched it in the cabin. Want to see a scary movie go see the newest releases of Friday The 13th or the latest Halloween movie. Saw movies were much better. Evil Dead should just stay dead, It sucked big time.But go see it and waste your money and be pissed that you didnt believe me. For you people that liked it, WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU ON? This movie has nothing a horror movie needs to be good. I'm pissed I just wasted my time writing a review but felt it was my civil duty. The republicans getting into office would make a good Horror flick. We could watch Romney and Ryan try to off one another. Expand
  40. May 18, 2013
    Well Sam Raimi is a genius!
    He succeeds to provide every horror movie with the right portions and horror with humor. The Remake is not better than the original, but not worse.
  41. Oct 12, 2014
    Not as great as the original movies, but keeps the essence, and if in the future Fede Alvarez and Sam Raimi decide to make a sequel I hope some improvements with a little black comedy, some better sequences and visuals. (60 - 100)
  42. Apr 5, 2013
    What did you expect when you first came in to see this movie? I came in thinking it was another remake of a horror movie that would be generic, with only a lot of gore to make it look better. I can honestly say I was wrong! This was a really good horror movie. The best horror movie I've seen in a long while. The story and some of the actions by the actors in the movie were kind ofWhat did you expect when you first came in to see this movie? I came in thinking it was another remake of a horror movie that would be generic, with only a lot of gore to make it look better. I can honestly say I was wrong! This was a really good horror movie. The best horror movie I've seen in a long while. The story and some of the actions by the actors in the movie were kind of formulated horror movie norm. It was extremely gory way gorier than modern day "Slasher" films. And that added a dimension to the film that was entertaining. I applaud everybody involved in this film for the hard work to make this a somewhat believable and fun horror movie. Although it lacked in some places, and the scare tactic lacked greatly, it was incredibly fun to watch unfold minus the downsides. Expand
  43. Apr 25, 2013
    It does what all good remakes should do. Fede Alvarez focuses on create a film that he wanted to make, creating a style and experience that is unique to itself. But also adds references to please the fans of the original. However marks must be dropped for not being able to scare me once.
  44. Apr 6, 2013
    *posted on IMDB as well* When the remake of the 1981 horror classic "The Evil Dead" was announced in late 2011, fans of the series reacted, unsurprisingly, with revulsion. At the heart of their outrage lay a simple question: Why? How could a remake possibly improve upon the original? The first film's charm had much to do with its shoestring budget and utter lack of prestige. The cast and*posted on IMDB as well* When the remake of the 1981 horror classic "The Evil Dead" was announced in late 2011, fans of the series reacted, unsurprisingly, with revulsion. At the heart of their outrage lay a simple question: Why? How could a remake possibly improve upon the original? The first film's charm had much to do with its shoestring budget and utter lack of prestige. The cast and crew were a ragtag group of amateurs who essentially had no clue what they were doing. The filming process was notoriously unpleasant, requiring the team to live in a primitive log-cabin in the backwoods of Eastern Tennessee. It shouldn't have worked. And yet, when The Evil Dead hit theaters, it won over audiences across the world with its simplistic, clumsy charm and unique sense of humor--not to mention its pioneering camera work and brilliant practical effects. It paved the way for a decade of ultra-violent, low budget horror movies (either the best thing to happen to the genre or the worst, depending on who you're talking to.) Few products of the medium have ever enjoyed such influence.

Though a more technically advanced film, Fede Alvarez' 2013 remake--backed, disappointingly, by Raimi and Campbell themselves-- is as shoddy a production as the original, but without the charm and humor to redeem it. The fundamental problem with Alvarez' version (and Diablo Cody's reworking of the script) is that it approaches the material with ludicrous self seriousness, thus making itself vulnerable to more intense scrutiny, against which it has little hope of defense. The film begins promisingly enough, opening with a disturbing scene of father-daughter filicide, but immediately tumbles downhill when the meat of the plot (what little there is) is revealed. The premise is this: A group of five twenty-somethings treks out into the woods for a high school reunion/intervention, hoping to permanently cure Mia (Jane Levy) of her heroin addiction. They hole up in Mia and her brother David's (Shiloh Fernandez) decrepit family cottage and steel themselves for the worst of the withdrawal symptoms to set in. However, their priorities soon shift when Eric (Lou Taylor Pucci) discovers a copy of the Necronomicon in the basement (wrapped in barbed wire, bound in human skin, and with explicit admonishments written in bold red letters upon its pages) and recites the exact words the book warns him not to recite under any circumstance. With this incantation, a portal into the world of the dead and the damned is opened. What follows thereafter should, by all rights, be an entertaining, gory romp through the swamps. Instead, we are treated to seventy minutes of unrelenting stupidity and bad acting. The worst offender by far is the feebleminded David, our lackluster stand in for Bruce Campbell's Ash, who, for three quarters of the movie, simply can't get it through his thick skull that his sister has been possessed by a demon. He seems to think that telekinesis, dramatic drops in vocal pitch, and Linda Blair-esque neck twitches are typical symptoms of heroin withdrawal. His dimwitted attempts to contain the situation are extraordinarily frustrating to watch, as is the extreme gullibility of the other characters. How many times will these fools fall for the old "I'm not a demon!" trick? Make a drinking game out of it. You'll be wasted long before the final act.

Again, all of these transgressions would be more forgivable if the movie didn't take itself so dang seriously. But there's nary an amusing one-liner or a hint of self-awareness to get us through this study in tedium and banality. Even the violence is disappointing--or at least it failed to impress this seasoned genre enthusiast. Sure, there's a cool scene with a nail gun, and a few cringe inducing moments involving syringes, electric meat slicers, and boiling hot water, but it all feels a little been-there-done-that. Recent films that top Evil Dead in the gore department include Slither, Feast, Cabin Fever, Hostel, and High Tension, among others. Check those out instead.

Here's hoping the "Carrie" remake fares a little better.
  45. Apr 7, 2013
    A superior horror movie in all respects. Good acting, great gore, good pacing, and the trailers did not ruin the movie. Still showed a little too much in the trailers and the movie had a few unresolved plot points. But that is all the more reason for a sequel. The major critics panned this for the same reason why they pan all horror movies, personal preference. Don't expect Evil Dead 2 orA superior horror movie in all respects. Good acting, great gore, good pacing, and the trailers did not ruin the movie. Still showed a little too much in the trailers and the movie had a few unresolved plot points. But that is all the more reason for a sequel. The major critics panned this for the same reason why they pan all horror movies, personal preference. Don't expect Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness (both great films). The Evil Dead remake stands on its own and it rules. Cannot wait to see the unrated(possible) on Blu Ray. Expand
  46. Apr 26, 2013
    "Evil Dead" definitely does not set any landmarks, but it can be considered one of the good remakes, along with "Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)" and "The Hills Have Eyes". Having a very unheard of cast, "Evil Dead" is a remake of the cult classic. If you were a huge fan of the original, definitely check it out. If you had no interest in the original and don't have any for this, this film"Evil Dead" definitely does not set any landmarks, but it can be considered one of the good remakes, along with "Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)" and "The Hills Have Eyes". Having a very unheard of cast, "Evil Dead" is a remake of the cult classic. If you were a huge fan of the original, definitely check it out. If you had no interest in the original and don't have any for this, this film is definitely not for you. Expand
  47. Nov 4, 2013
    I can understand why people like it, for sure it's just that from the trailers and the reviews i thought it was going to be an actual horror movie and not just a straight up gore fest. The practical effects are amazing but I still would've preferred more scares, and better characters.
  48. Apr 7, 2013
    Ok, this was a freaking scary movie. It reminded me of the old classics like Halloween (the original, of course) that put the fear of evil in you. From the beginning to the end, it was awesome. I kept wanted to turn away but just couldn't. Had to see all the gore. The make up and effects are so well placed. Reminded me of Cabin in the Woods. It is a def rent-to-own for Halloween movie!
  49. Apr 5, 2013
    I don't get the critics who are saying the humor is lost. The humor is certainly still present in this rendition. Beautiful graphic scenes, great camera work, and creepy. I thought the score was a bit cheesy, and I didn't care much for the new drug addict storyline, but who sees an Evil Dead movie for a great back story? It delivered the scares and violence I wanted to see. For a film thatI don't get the critics who are saying the humor is lost. The humor is certainly still present in this rendition. Beautiful graphic scenes, great camera work, and creepy. I thought the score was a bit cheesy, and I didn't care much for the new drug addict storyline, but who sees an Evil Dead movie for a great back story? It delivered the scares and violence I wanted to see. For a film that could have easily failed this was a very pleasant surprise. Expand
  50. Apr 7, 2013
    The new Evil Dead movie could be a litmus test for true fans of the horror genre. As Entertainment Weekly's review stated so well: the new Evil Dead is "the bloodiest, goriest, slapstickiest horror movie since, well, The Evil Dead."

Horror fans would grin or laugh gleefully at most of the goriest scenes because a) most are truly unique and different than what we've scene before, and b) we've seen EVERYTHING before. Anybody else would shut their eyes, grimace, flee the theater, or just wouldn't go.

And it's not that horror fans are gore junkies. Blood, gore and violence are irrelevant and tedious if it's not weaved into a captivating story with decent acting, great directing, and creative plotting.

And that's exactly what the new Evil Dead delivers. Most die-hard horror aficionados know the original Evil Dead by heart. To re-do the first and deliver a new and different version while staying within the bounds of the original is no easy task. But Fede Alvarez in his directorial debut knocks it out of the park. It strikes that fine balance between reverance to the original (with both overt and subtle references) and newness/uniqueness to keep us captivated and excited (and excitement is key as most of us are definitely looking for a cerebral adrenaline rush).

Just modernizing a classic with a bigger budget takes no creativity and falls into the tedium and redundancy which most horror fan's hate. Gus Van Sant's Psycho re-make, where nearly every scene is "copied exactly," is a perfect example of this. One word: BORING.

The last, great horror re-make was 2004's "Dawn of the Dead" which at the time was the best re-make since David Cronenberg's "The Fly" in 1986. That's why us horror fans are rejoicing to have a new movie to re-watch 10 times until the next good one.
  51. Jul 20, 2013
    It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The dialogue was generally unwitty, and there weren't many clever moments. I appreciated some of the accents they threw in there as nods to the horror genre, and as a genre film, it definitely stands up to the task. It cut out a lot of the more tired moments in horror cinema as well (Hint: no one gets killed while having a forced, passionate moment). AllIt wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The dialogue was generally unwitty, and there weren't many clever moments. I appreciated some of the accents they threw in there as nods to the horror genre, and as a genre film, it definitely stands up to the task. It cut out a lot of the more tired moments in horror cinema as well (Hint: no one gets killed while having a forced, passionate moment). All in all I think they set out what they wanted to do. It left me mostly unimpressed and unaffected. What I am giving my score for is mostly the cinematography itself: it was fantastic. The colors in the movie and the general lighting were top notch. They REALLY went above and beyond with the cabin as a setting and they just really worked the camera. Several times I realized I was impressed by the atmosphere. So, while I'm not a huge fan of splatter "cover your eyes" gore at the expense of the health of a cast of poor, bewildered 20-somethings, I AM a fan of great camera work, clever sets, and beautiful lighting, something this film has in spades. Expand
  52. Jul 6, 2013
    I liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does have a sense of nostalgia but at the same time brings up new things to experience... It does feel a bit too much of a teenage fest, which was slightlyI liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does have a sense of nostalgia but at the same time brings up new things to experience... It does feel a bit too much of a teenage fest, which was slightly disappointing and at times it does feel slightly cheap, but overall it was a thrill ride. Would watch again. Expand
  53. Jul 2, 2013
    I just can't believe the movie was awesome. It was totally mind-blowing. I loved the 1981 version, but this just got modified. Well, at first, i thought it was going to be another remake with dumb characters who doesn't take anything seriously. Thank god it doesn't. If you don't like heavy gore and have a faint of heart, then you better check out other movies. This is totally a keeper.
  54. Apr 7, 2013
    This "remake" is a visceral, bloody, painful and incredibly dark re-imagining of the classic horror film. This is not the campy classic original, but a twisted, blood filled gore fest with a terrific sense of being it's own thing while still paying homage to the originals. While the story does have a few holes, its still very well plotted. For the first film by this new director, I lookThis "remake" is a visceral, bloody, painful and incredibly dark re-imagining of the classic horror film. This is not the campy classic original, but a twisted, blood filled gore fest with a terrific sense of being it's own thing while still paying homage to the originals. While the story does have a few holes, its still very well plotted. For the first film by this new director, I look forward to more from him. Go in expecting Death Death and more Death in many different and gruesome ways. A bit of an overkill sometimes, but that's just part of the fun. 8.5/10 Expand
  55. Apr 12, 2013
    I just read a user review marking this film as "the Exorcist for this generation" and I threw up a little in my mouth. This does not come close to any of the scares of that masterpiece. This remake had a little tension and a lot of gore. I will give them credit for trying to make us care for the kids involved (the whole drug addiction mommy issues) but I found myself wishing for BruceI just read a user review marking this film as "the Exorcist for this generation" and I threw up a little in my mouth. This does not come close to any of the scares of that masterpiece. This remake had a little tension and a lot of gore. I will give them credit for trying to make us care for the kids involved (the whole drug addiction mommy issues) but I found myself wishing for Bruce Campbell throughout the entire film because he was what made the original so entertaining to watch. None of the cast had a quarter of that man's charisma. The nods were cheeky and a bit clever, but again, only made me wish I was watching the original or its sequel. I cannot find fault in others enjoying this film it really is not a bad film, as far as horror films go. But I felt like it had more than a few opportunities to separate itself from the pack and provide genuine terror. Gore, to me, is uncomfortable, and should only enhance your fear not try to provide it. I have been scared by films before with genuine tension (Vacancy and Frailty immediately jump to my mind) but this completely lacked it. Whether or not you will enjoy this film entirely depends on what you deem to be fearful. Collapse
  56. May 11, 2014
    Remake of the cult horror film of the 80s directed by Sam Raimi, "The House " by Fede Alvarez , against all odds is a decent horror film that offers an ' excellent and essential component splatter.
    At the technical level is almost perfect . The direction , although it was entrusted to a novice , it is discreet and overflowing with good ideas , the photograph appears almost bloody , and the script manages to convince thanks to its simplicity and the desire to not take itself too seriously . Flaw , however, in the staging that can not be grim and dark like the original, this also because of the little picturesque scenery . It must be said , too, that despite the past thirty years from the original, this remake fails minimally to strike the same terror , and especially to recreate that dark feature of the whole trilogy, Raimi , who took part in the production and implementation of the remake with Bruce Campbell. Surely the touch of Raimi it can be seen in the fabulous splatter scenes , but the staging is definitely not the result of his creativity.
    In conclusion, surely "The House " by Fede Alvarez taken as a single film can only be a good product, but it absolutely does not stand comparison with the 1981 original , directed by a director but not a genius ....
  57. Apr 7, 2013
    If you are a true Evil Dead fan, you will not only love, but appreciate this movie's existence.

Don't let any of the poor reviews fool you, don't let the critic scores fool you, this is an amazing score and only proves that paid critics know nothing about good movies.
  58. Apr 7, 2013
    Groovy. For Evil Dead fans, it's the perfect remake of the original. There are definitely scares that deliver, but if you're looking for a gore-fest though, welcome home. Also high recommendation to stay till the very end of the credits. To sum up this movie; Groovy.
  59. Jul 20, 2013
    Absolute garbage. Terrible story and writing, totally boring. Horrible acting. The only good things to mention are the special fx and it the film is short.
  60. Jul 17, 2013
    You gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up this reboot-remake-whatever with fine cinematography and expert compositions, as oppossed to your usual Platinum Dunes job. It takes a while to establishYou gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up this reboot-remake-whatever with fine cinematography and expert compositions, as oppossed to your usual Platinum Dunes job. It takes a while to establish the characters, which works well setting the stage before all hell breaks loose. Once it does, it barely slows down to catch its breath. I like the nods to the original (the Olds, Michigan State shirt, the 'ol running thru the woods with the camera,etc), while being it's own thing. With all the PG13 exorcism and posession movies that call themselves horror films nowadays, it's good to see a hard R, bloody good time. Very curious to see what the director follows this up with. Expand
  61. Jul 15, 2013
    Judging this as a remake, it's a masterpiece. Judging this as a film on its own, it's still great. The cinematography and directing is terrific; both create a great sense of dread and there are several tropes that are subverted, mostly during the final act. Speaking of which, the last 25 minutes or so were scary as hell and usually excessive and overt gore annoys me and comes off as cheap,Judging this as a remake, it's a masterpiece. Judging this as a film on its own, it's still great. The cinematography and directing is terrific; both create a great sense of dread and there are several tropes that are subverted, mostly during the final act. Speaking of which, the last 25 minutes or so were scary as hell and usually excessive and overt gore annoys me and comes off as cheap, but here it balanced the cartoonishness and the graphic nature so it didn't come off as distracting and ending up being fun. Also, thank God for practical effects. The makeup and effects looked terrific and were all so convincing, infinitely better than CG crap. The main problem was what seems to be the issue with so many horror films: really weak characters. Only the main girl was worth routing for, and arguably the blonde guy that looked like Kurt Cobain. There was a blonde girl that was completely expendable. And PLEASE STAY AFTER THE CREDITS!!! There's a huge surprise for fans of the series! 8.7/10, great, two thumbs up (barely), above average, etc. Expand
  62. Apr 9, 2013
    This movie has provided a roller coaster of emotions for me in the sense that when I first heard about it was vehemently opposed to the idea. I don't understand how they can spend 20 years saying that no one would be interested in an Evil Dead 4 but somehow suddenly an Evil Dead remake would be a great idea. Then, I saw the trailer and found myself interested again. The look wasThis movie has provided a roller coaster of emotions for me in the sense that when I first heard about it was vehemently opposed to the idea. I don't understand how they can spend 20 years saying that no one would be interested in an Evil Dead 4 but somehow suddenly an Evil Dead remake would be a great idea. Then, I saw the trailer and found myself interested again. The look was interesting and there seemed to be a lot of cool effects. But let's move on to how I felt after actually seeing the movie...

Overall, the movie was fine. There was actually a lot of stuff there for the old school fans like the music, the look of the cabin and some lines that were obviously pulled from the original movies to help it appeal to all of the fans who were pissed that there's no Ash character. (Yes, including me.) However, the dialogue was a big part of what made this one of those movies that was good enough for one viewing but that I will probably never see again. I have no problem with bad language but when ALL of your characters use nothing but the F-word and the S-word then it just makes them sound stupid. And all of the business with the main character (Mia) being a drug addict seemed tacked-on and pointless. I mean, it's fine but when they kept going back to it, it just got old. It was like, fight death horror, oh wait remember how you left our family when mom was sick? And on top of that, I found Mia to be just a really unlikable character. Partly the way she was written, partly the acting. But that's subjective.

SPOILERS Okay, there was a point where I was actually really into this movie and it was where David (essentially the Ash character) was kicking Deadite ass. He does all the work of figuring out what needs to be done and taking out the Deadites one by one. Then... he buries Mia (which is one of the ways of saving her soul as opposed to only bodily dismemberment as in the originals) and then bringing her back to life so she can be the sole survivor. He even constructs a defibrillator out of tools in the shed which is very Ash. But yes, she comes back to life and even after being drenched in scolding hot water, she is TOTALLY FINE! Fine enough that she can destroy whatever the evil is after David did all the work.

Look, I realize I'm an old-school fan here but I just don't see the point in excising the very thing that made the original awesome in the first place. The male hero of the series (Ash) is so uncommon in horror films. Name another horror film where the hero is a guy. Name another horror film where fans go to see the good guy (instead of Jason, Michael, Freddy)! And now, the remake has just made it into another Girl Survivor movie and not even a likable girl survivor at that. And the "extra scene" after the credits isn't even worth sticking around for. I should point out that it's FINE that the survivor is a girl. My point is that now the movie is just like every other horror film ever and who wants to see the same thing over and over? END SPOILERS.

So, while I can't say this was a horrible film at all, I just think it took everything that made the original fun and different out and replaced it with every other horror film cliche that you've seen for 20 years.
  63. Apr 22, 2013
    This was an awesome movie. I personally think this was a little better than the original in the 80s. This an example of what good scary movies are. 10/10.
  64. Jul 21, 2013
    Either it had to substitute Bruce Campbell's charisma with a character of its own or it had to develop the cast into people we could care about even a little. Failing both those options, it's good fun, but this is a well-crafted slasher flick that will be quickly forgotten.
  65. Sep 30, 2013
    evil dead was surprisingly good. It was written well,the acting was good,and the special affects were awesome. it was really gory but it was still really good. this might sound weird but 2 scenes in the movie are actually quiet sad
  66. May 13, 2013
    I was spooked, I was grossed out, and I laughed. It was a great ride! What a treat to get an actual horror movie amongst the films that pass as horror these days. For a guy who grew up on this stuff, I had SO much fun watching this.
  67. Apr 6, 2013
    This movie was amazing. I'm a huge fan of the original Evil Dead series and I was really worried this remake would suck big time... but it doesn't. Stop looking up reviews for this movie and go see it right now.
  68. Apr 20, 2013
    Few directors can control your emotions like Evil Dead does; Fede Alvarez crafts perfectly one of the best modern horror movies of the decade; sure, the original Evil Dead is better, but this remake makes you squirm in your seat and is an utterly assault on the senses. Astonishing.
  69. Apr 7, 2013
    I'm giving this a 10 because it's probably one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time. Obviously it's not on the same playing field as the original Evil Dead... but it holds its own. It lacks the campiness which I did miss...

Some things that bugged me (spoilers): - characters not interesting, the backstory to the brother sister was snorring. Should have been a couple like

Some things that bugged me (spoilers):
    - characters not interesting, the backstory to the brother sister was snorring. Should have been a couple like the original. They tried to hard.
    - The Book of the Dead lacked a face... I understand to make it look more believable... but then the drawings on the inside looked too polished, and the red writing looked cheese-ball.
    - No atmospheric effects, or lacking much of it. Like the swing chair knocking on door, or woods-demon looking through windows. The horror build didn't exist like the original.
    - Burying his sister, digging her up, her face lacking the scars from the hot water scene, like her face was perfect.

Things I loved:
    - End scene with the chainsaw, how she slices the demon down the middle... the raining blood and the red wetness was reminiscent of The Descent.
    - Slipping on the cheek meat.
    - the actor who played the main character, she was great. Too bad the other actors weren't good like her.
    - Secret ending after credits.
    - Keeping with some camera styles.

The only other movie that I thought was a great horror movie that wasn't from the 70-80s was "The Girl" and "Insidious".
  70. Apr 13, 2013
    The remake of the 1981 classic horror film The Evil Dead has certainly been changed, some for the better, others for the worst. (Of course this movie is not even as close to as good as original.)
    The plot is clearly not the same, there's a lot more horrifying scenes (that are actually INSANELY graphic) that can really surprise you. After the film's premise it seems to constantly get into some crazy scenes non-stop that really gets you engaged. The problem is that in 2013, this film is nothing more than a cliche horror film, that's the nice thing about the changed and eery scenes to the plotline, that makes this remake seem like it took its own direction, not completley one stupid cash grab.
  71. Aug 11, 2013
    This was not that scary to me. It was a good waste of an hour and a half, but the movie was just OK, not great. Everything that happened could have been avoided just by using common sense. Overall, this was OK, but it was most certainly not the best horror movie that I have ever seen.
  72. Jan 25, 2014
    I enjoyed watching this movie. It isn't the most horrific or scary movie, but the cinematography is excellent. This has to be one of the best lower budget remakes of older films to date. There are a few jump scares throughout this film. Some parts of this film also make you cringe. It is an exciting movie and would recommend it to others.
  73. May 5, 2013
    Movie is scary and i didn't sleep after trailer. really good job and i really love this movie i will watch it over and over.And It have a hectoliters of blood.
  74. Jul 12, 2015
    A very interesting remake. I usually dislike remakes, but I could not help but love what they did with this.

The CGI/effects are the best I have ever seen. Ever bit of gore looks real...it truly is unmatched.
  75. Apr 5, 2013
    The best horror remake ever has officially arrived. This movie demands multiple watches and is disgusting in the best possible way. Every thing is nailed perfectly. The violence is intense but kinda cheesy at the same time, the acting is solid (especially by Levy, who I recognize from "Shameless"), the pacing is absolutely perfect, and its really just an all around crowd pleaser. It evenThe best horror remake ever has officially arrived. This movie demands multiple watches and is disgusting in the best possible way. Every thing is nailed perfectly. The violence is intense but kinda cheesy at the same time, the acting is solid (especially by Levy, who I recognize from "Shameless"), the pacing is absolutely perfect, and its really just an all around crowd pleaser. It even got a standing ovation at the midnight screening I attended the night before it was released. Expand
  76. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of the supremely gory remake of Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/evil-dead-2013.html
  77. Aug 28, 2013
    Surprisingly fun! However, never got enough suspense to chill out. Better than most other horror films out there but never outstanding. I recommend a try.
  78. Dec 24, 2013
    Evil Dead is, above all else, a disappointment, a disappointment in that it fails to capture what made the original Evil Dead great, the originals charm is gone, and has been replaced with many of the trappings of horror films today: lame writing, and (possibly the scariest thing of the entire film) horrifically bland acting. The original at least had the excuse that it had absolutely noEvil Dead is, above all else, a disappointment, a disappointment in that it fails to capture what made the original Evil Dead great, the originals charm is gone, and has been replaced with many of the trappings of horror films today: lame writing, and (possibly the scariest thing of the entire film) horrifically bland acting. The original at least had the excuse that it had absolutely no budget and no true star power, so of course it's going to be a little underwhelming, yet this is a movie with a bigger budget and somehow it's more poorly written and not well acted. However, I'm still not giving this a low score, why, because it still has good stuff in it. The gore is back full force and there is cringe worthy fun in how over the top extreme it is. Even if four of the main cast are horribly bland, Jane Levy is actually pretty good in the film, sensitive yet also a bad ass action star, hopefully, in sequels they will just keep her and the actors will improve. Finally, that last thing that keeps me from flat out panning this film is that despite the lame writing, the story is actually not that bad, in fact it has a climax that is a huge blast of fun and blood, so yeah, do I hate it, no, but I will say, this is, perhaps, the biggest disappointment of this year Expand
  79. Feb 2, 2014
    Another dull remake. Don't believe all the hype about this being a bold new reimagining or any of that lark. Its just another unimaginative remake that adds nothing but removes all the humour the original had. If you don't like some laughs in your horror flicks and/or didn't see or like the original Evil Dead films then give this a shot. If you're fan of the originals then stay away;Another dull remake. Don't believe all the hype about this being a bold new reimagining or any of that lark. Its just another unimaginative remake that adds nothing but removes all the humour the original had. If you don't like some laughs in your horror flicks and/or didn't see or like the original Evil Dead films then give this a shot. If you're fan of the originals then stay away; you'll just be frustrated by the complete lack of originality here. Great special effects though. Expand
  80. Aug 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. LAME and DISAPPOINTING. Even the book of the dead looked bland as I was open to a remake of Evil Dead, being that Evil Dead 2 was a remake of the original film and I just thought of all the potential in this film but I was so wrong. We have all these effects at our disposable and yet the Deadites just looked like rage zombies, when they could 've had varieties of demonesque creatures and theirs quite a few plot holes in place, if I found suspended dead cats in the basement I would've high tailed out of there. Oh and the final monster" was just the main characters face on a tit less body, I guess this is meant to be a physical representation of her inner demons but it failed at that. I'm glad I didn't go and see this crap.

The movie was shot well and their were some cool ideas in place, but it was just an incoherent mess, the characters were to wooden to really have any emotional connection towards them. In the original film you do feel like you care for the characters and want them to pull through. If you find enjoyment in this, all the power to you but I don't recommend this at all.
  81. Apr 8, 2013
    A fantastic new vision on an already great franchise make this a must see for an die hard horror fan. A great ride from start to finish that features tons of thrills and tons and tons of blood.
  82. Jun 24, 2013
    This was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. I definitely enjoyed it flaws and all. My only problems with the movie was the character development and the deadites themselves. In the original EvilThis was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. I definitely enjoyed it flaws and all. My only problems with the movie was the character development and the deadites themselves. In the original Evil Dead the deadites were and still are terrifying. In the 2013 version they seem less like demonic being and more like the infected from 28 days later. The character development seems to just jump back and forth and it's not till the end that you realize that Mia was in fact the "final girl", despite being the main deadite for most of the film. The trailer led you to believe that David was the main protagonist and would be the "ash role", David is even shown in the trailer using the chainsaw which was eventually cut from the film. And lastly, I know a lot of people have a problem with this remake/reboot/sequel, some even reference the lack of comedy. But if you actually watched the original, there was no real comedy in it. The original was a normal horror movie, it wasn't until the sequels that it started to shift to a more black comedy than pure horror. Regardless of being a fan of the series or not, if you like horror and are not suffering from cranial rectitis then you'll enjoy the movie. Expand
  83. Jul 6, 2013
    Total junk! I loved the original, and expected a lot more from this one. The only thing it delivers is bloody corpses and people puking. But none of the character development, humor, or acting of the original. The supposedly tight-knit group of childhood friends show no real connection to each other aside from a few lines of droll dialogue--they may as well have been completeTotal junk! I loved the original, and expected a lot more from this one. The only thing it delivers is bloody corpses and people puking. But none of the character development, humor, or acting of the original. The supposedly tight-knit group of childhood friends show no real connection to each other aside from a few lines of droll dialogue--they may as well have been complete strangers. The action is virtually non-existent. And then there is the whole thing with "hey, there's a monster out there picking us out one by one, but let me go somewhere alone..." and the "I know what I gotta do, but I'll just do the exact opposite". Bleh! Expand
  84. Apr 5, 2013
    I have seen the original and loved it. I watched this remake and loved it just as much. I got exactly what I expected from the film: absolute grotesquery and violent carnage. I understand why those who loved the original would not like this one (obviously the original is a classic without compare), but I believe that the remake has done exceptionally well, compared to other horror remakes.I have seen the original and loved it. I watched this remake and loved it just as much. I got exactly what I expected from the film: absolute grotesquery and violent carnage. I understand why those who loved the original would not like this one (obviously the original is a classic without compare), but I believe that the remake has done exceptionally well, compared to other horror remakes. I recommend Evil Dead to those who wish to enjoy a hour and a half of absolute brutality and blood lust! --9/10 Expand
  85. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie captures the gorefest in a masterful way, the plot is simple and the characters could've been smarter.
    Still the movie, in my opinion, falls short thanks to the integration of the "Junky ass" character, a character that you learn to hate and wish it the worst, and still, after making everybody around her die, she survives at the end.
  86. Apr 5, 2013
    This movie is phenomenal. Everyones all blah blah blah the original is better but i dont agree. This movie looks realistic whereas the first one was fake as hell. I watched the original recently and thought it was great til the claymation wrecks it. I love Bruce but I really dont think he came into his own until part 2 which was bittersweet because it was nowhere as scary as the first butThis movie is phenomenal. Everyones all blah blah blah the original is better but i dont agree. This movie looks realistic whereas the first one was fake as hell. I watched the original recently and thought it was great til the claymation wrecks it. I love Bruce but I really dont think he came into his own until part 2 which was bittersweet because it was nowhere as scary as the first but if you watch it for Mr Campbells comedic performance its a blast (WHO'S LAUGHING NOOWW!) In conclusion I will just say Evil Dead 2013 is a gem for lovers of the horror genre so go see it! Expand
  87. Apr 8, 2013
    *posted on my original blog, fernandoatthemovies.blogspot.com as well*

I am a huge fan of the original Evil Dead films(The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness). So I was really skeptical going in to see this film. However, I can tell you, as a huge fan of the original trilogy, that I really enjoyed this film more than I thought I was going to. Evil Dead is about when five
    *posted on my original blog, fernandoatthemovies.blogspot.com as well*

Evil Dead is about when five people go into a cabin in the woods, they soon come upon the Necromonican Ex-Mortis, aka The Book of the Dead, where they unwittingly unleash flesh possessing demon, in which one by one are trying to survive.

Even though the story of the film is very cliché and overused, when watching this film, it feels like if it was new. The horror cliché works for the film. Also, I found that the reason why they wouldn't leave to be better than the original, as in this one, they sort of had a point in staying. I also really liked the homage to the original films.

One thing that I liked about this film was the production of it all. You can tell that the creators was trying their best to make a remake that will stand out, in which 99% of the effects of the film were practical, meaning that they made it with little to no CGI. That aspect alone helps the film, as it made the situation look more realistic for the audience. Also, you can also tell that the creators of this film did this movie with so much care and thought to please the original films. Not only were the situations in the film were well shot and executed, but they put it with care. Fede Alvarez, alongside with producers Sam Raimi(director of original films) and Bruce Campbell, do a great job in trying to please the fans.

Speaking of the situations, this film has a lot of brutality against the characters. There is blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. It is not like torture films, in which torturing is the whole point, but there is a lot of it. I am letting you know that if you are very squeamish, then you will have a hard time watching this film. And it feels more real because of all the practical effects. I have no idea how this got an R rating.

Let's talk about the characters. None of them come close to Bruce Campbell's "Groovy" performance of Ash William(star of the original films). In fact, the weakest link to the film was the characterization. Most of the characters are just there to die. You just don't care about most of them.

The ones that I really cared about was Eric, portrayed by Lou Taylor Pucci. Even though he is the reason why this whole thing started, I can't hide the fact that I was rooting for him the most in this film, as well as Mia, portrayed well by Jane Levy, who actually has the best characterization of all of them. These two characters were the ones who took the most beating in this film, and the ones who really stood out.

The only things that I didn't like, other than the characterization, was that it lacks the humor that the original Evil Dead films had. This film was humorless. It also wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be, but watching these people in these situations was fun to watch. This movie is creepy and fun to watch, not scary.

So Evil Dead is a satisfying remake to the franchise, even though it isn't as good as the original films. Fun, Creepy, and INSANELY gory to watch, Evil Dead is Blu-Ray Worthy.(Oh, and if you’re a fan of the original, stay after the credits.)
  88. Apr 7, 2013
    I came into this movie expecting another wonderful performance from the acclaimed movie star Bruce Campbell. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. Bruce always does a fine job but this one is his best performance, even beating out favorites like the first evil dead and army of darkness. 9/10 stars.
  89. Apr 8, 2013
    Aside from a few jump scares it's really not a very scary movie, but the original wasn't very scary either. The gore is everything you could want, graphic, unflinching at times even comical. It's a dedicated remake that loses some steam towards the end but still very enjoyable. Not for the squeamish.
  90. Apr 17, 2013
    Why this movie has gone down to a 57 is beyond my understanding, but this is a scary-ass gorefest that needs to be seen. with its like the original with an alternate ending, and better acting.
  91. Sep 7, 2013
    Let me begin by saying I am a fan of the original as well as a fan of Sam Raimi. I was excited to see Evil Dead translated into a more modern style horror movie, and I was not disappointed. This movie was exactly what it was intended to be. No, Bruce Campbell will not burst through the door. There are nods to the original without giving us the exact same movie twice. If you don't like it,Let me begin by saying I am a fan of the original as well as a fan of Sam Raimi. I was excited to see Evil Dead translated into a more modern style horror movie, and I was not disappointed. This movie was exactly what it was intended to be. No, Bruce Campbell will not burst through the door. There are nods to the original without giving us the exact same movie twice. If you don't like it, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Expand
  92. Apr 9, 2013
    I was nervous when I heard the film was being remade but still curious, then I saw the trailer and realized it was going to be similar to contemporary horror films in terms of aesthetic. Still I went to see it anyways, the film is beautifully shot and in some instances is just a collection of still photographs, which I found great. The film score is also well done and the heroin addictionI was nervous when I heard the film was being remade but still curious, then I saw the trailer and realized it was going to be similar to contemporary horror films in terms of aesthetic. Still I went to see it anyways, the film is beautifully shot and in some instances is just a collection of still photographs, which I found great. The film score is also well done and the heroin addiction angle is great yet it still left me feeling unsatisfied because it went predominantly down the horror route and most of the camp and tropes of the original film were dispensed with. This is not to say that I am a purist but if the appearance of objects such as the chainsaw and shotgun were only going to really act as callbacks to the old film then it seemed somewhat pointless. Nevertheless a great technical film and good adaption of the original. Bring out more Spanish filmmakers. Expand
  93. Apr 11, 2013
    If your a generation Y-horror movie type person, you'll love the new Evil Dead. People who didn't like the originals are loving this one. Of course, if you come out of the theatre saying "that was AWESOME!" (like most are), then it only proves your likely part of this generations moviegoers that are clueless to Gen X horror flicks, and the movie was desgined with this in mind. The modernIf your a generation Y-horror movie type person, you'll love the new Evil Dead. People who didn't like the originals are loving this one. Of course, if you come out of the theatre saying "that was AWESOME!" (like most are), then it only proves your likely part of this generations moviegoers that are clueless to Gen X horror flicks, and the movie was desgined with this in mind. The modern generation-y "fly by night" audience. Its easier to scare todays audiences because they dont know what a great horror flick is... or what made them great. They're too busy on their phones and tablets and swag to pay attention to a movie for more than 5 minutes anyway, so the producers have to throw in gorish shockers to get their attention back... throw in a story too complex for their "fast food" style mindsets to understand, and they get up and leave. They weren't leaving the theatres this time... unless they were sick... when i went, a couple people threw up and some gals with their boyfriends jumped and cried during scenes. Heh, even some of these bieber-wannabe goons were grossed out and jumping. I laughed deep inside at how easily society is impressed these days.

I personally give "Evil Dead 2013" a 7.5/10.... wasnt terrible, wasnt bad, just to me... was lukewarm for a evil dead flick... Better than almost any recent horroflicks in mind over the past 10 years, but catered too much with weaker, boring characters and plot that most modern horror movies do. There isn't a "Ash" character that steps up to the plate. The story is "hum-dee-dum" at best. Even the deadites are more toned down for the pussified pieces of that are todays society... they are nowhere near as demonic or detailed as that of the 80's versions. It's not scary. It's slightly creepy. It's "a little creepy", at best. But what once was the fear of a nation in the 1970's/80's (satanic cults, black magic, books of the undead) is no longer a fear in 2013... that stuff isnt as spooky as it was back when it was still mysterious and creepy. Why? Because noone fears that stuff anymore... There was alot of uncertainty and social panic over it then, but not today. The Necronomicon isn't nearly a spook factor as it once was. The deadites now even sound ridicolous... they were scary back in the day... they sounded possessed, demonic. Now they sound just lame, very flat, mono, and childish.... imagine a PG13 voice of Regan from "The Exorcist". Fortunately, they do yell some pretty horrific obscentities, such as "ILL YOUR MOTHERS IN HELL", but even that sounds humorous and so cheesy (and not in a good way) that only someone of generation y would find scary or interesting.

Where the new movie excels at, however, is the atmospheric enviornment and the gore. There is TONS of gore. GORE GORE GORE... and boy, they go all out. IF your the least bit queasy to gore, dont bother seeing this.... in any other movie, when you see them about to do something gory and you say "They arent gonna show it"... well, this movie does, and it drags it out till you cringe. And the humour. Its harder to spot in light of a attempted more serious approach, but there is still horror-comedy in it for us fans who know what to look for.. especially in the gore.

If Gore gives you a hard-on and makes the horror movie... then by all means, you will love this movie. And it does a good job with the atmosphere and some throwback nods to the originals. But for the hardcore fans, it's just "ok" and caters WAY TOO MUCH to todays horror movie steretypes to be anything special.

However, anyone else, would probably give it a 9/10 or higher. After all, it is probably the most intense modern day horror movie. For me, though, gore alone doesnt make the movie. Luckily the atmosphere and sick humor were still there just enough for me to enjoy it and give it that 7.5/10. Strip those out, and I'd have given it a 6.5/10

Sadly, I can't mark a 7.5/10 on Metacritic reviews, so rounding it off, it gets an 8/10 here. And this is coming from a hardcore fan of the Evil Dead series who has watched them countless times over the past couple of decades.
  94. Apr 11, 2013
    If you've been half as disappointed in the horror movie genre during this whole paranormal activity craze as I have, its a great idea to go see this movie. From it's clever beginning to its brilliant end, you'll feel perfectly uncomfortable and delighted in all it's gory goodness. Best horror movie in years.
  95. Apr 8, 2013
    All I can say is that Evil Dead was fantastic! There is tons of blood. I mean take your idea of a lot and multiply it by about 10,000 and that's pretty much the amount of blood and gore used in the Evil Dead. The thing that is really great about Evil Dead is that there is tons of suspense with a few jump scares. There is very little humor in this movie. So, if your one of those narrowAll I can say is that Evil Dead was fantastic! There is tons of blood. I mean take your idea of a lot and multiply it by about 10,000 and that's pretty much the amount of blood and gore used in the Evil Dead. The thing that is really great about Evil Dead is that there is tons of suspense with a few jump scares. There is very little humor in this movie. So, if your one of those narrow minded people who believes that the original was fun and had "great acting" Expand
  96. May 1, 2013
    Evil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead's case, it works. Sam Raimi and Fede Alvarez wanted the remake to be what the original film was: gruesome, and very entertaining to watch. The remakeEvil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead's case, it works. Sam Raimi and Fede Alvarez wanted the remake to be what the original film was: gruesome, and very entertaining to watch. The remake is gruesome, and it is entertaining. If you want a movie that's a ton of fun and has great special effects, look no further than Evil Dead. Expand
  97. Apr 6, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember everI absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember ever seeing a horror movie with even a decent final act, whilst Evil Dead's final act is probably the best in the entire movie. If you can sit back and let a movie do it's work, with minor flaws, then you will love this movie. This is truly a milestone in the horror movie genre. Expand
  98. Apr 11, 2013
    A creepy horror movie, but needlessly gory and bloody. Nothing left to the imagination. Everything shown in excruciating detail. It's repetitive, violent, and stocked with characters you never get a chance to care about, other than the family dog.
  99. Jul 2, 2013
    ATTENZIONE SPOILER
    Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.
    Innanzitutto ho gradito quei piccoli particolari che permettono allo spettatore di capire cosa accade in tutto il film, infatti, non rimangono domande sospese o domande che il visionatore normalmente si farebbe come: "ma perchè non bruciano il libro"? Gli effetti speciali sono molto ben curati, nonostante sia un
    ATTENZIONE SPOILER
    Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.

Gli effetti speciali sono molto ben curati, nonostante sia un remake non annoia ma anzi, ti tiene costantemente attento.

Indubbiamente per me uno dei migliori horror che abbia visto ultimamente. Davvero ben fatto, assolutamente consigliato :D
  100. Jun 30, 2013
    Have you ever seen crap? Well, now you can! I really don't get why this movie got 7.6 from users. This movie trying desperately to be something it's not. This retarded peace of crap is completely pointless and stupid. If you are kid then maybe then you can enjoy it. But if you are reasonable and intelligent human being then you must turn off all your critical senses if you would like toHave you ever seen crap? Well, now you can! I really don't get why this movie got 7.6 from users. This movie trying desperately to be something it's not. This retarded peace of crap is completely pointless and stupid. If you are kid then maybe then you can enjoy it. But if you are reasonable and intelligent human being then you must turn off all your critical senses if you would like to enjoy this movie. Rather stay at home and read some boring book. You get more out of it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nigel Floyd
    Apr 29, 2013
    Despite much old-school splatter, it’s seldom frightening and oddly unfunny.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    It is nowhere near as creepy as the recent indie horror "V/H/S," but it is a full-bloodedly grisly and macabre film that zaps over a few scares.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Apr 15, 2013
    Closer to Eli Roth than Sam Raimi, this brutal retread combines J-horror atmospherics with torture-porn kills. It’s more evisceration than invention but at least has the courage of its bloody-minded convictions.