TriStar Pictures | Release Date: April 5, 2013
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 561 Ratings
WATCH NOW
AmadeusMozartMar 26, 2017
It is very clear that many scenes from this movie use "exaggeration" and even a lot of blood. But at the end of the day, the movie as a whole is surprisingly very fun to watch as the plot is certainly interesting and easy to follow.
whitmorgan7Mar 10, 2017
Unless you’ve been living under a rock since 1981, you’ve inevitably heard about the masterpiece that is The Evil Dead. In 1981, The Evil Dead starring Bruce Campbell was released and it was horror movie gold. It was a masterpiece, and it hasUnless you’ve been living under a rock since 1981, you’ve inevitably heard about the masterpiece that is The Evil Dead. In 1981, The Evil Dead starring Bruce Campbell was released and it was horror movie gold. It was a masterpiece, and it has set the bar high for movies of its kind. Sam Raimi was the producer on the original film and had a budget of around $350,000 to produce it, but the outcome turned out to be one of the best films in history in my personal opinion.

The thought of an Evil Dead remake had been tossed around for a while before this one was actually done. Finally, in 2013, Fede Álvarez made his directorial debut and teamed up with the original geniuses behind the series, Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, and Robert Tapert to create the reboot of The Evil Dead.

The reboot stars Jane Levy, Shiloh Fernandez, Lou Taylor Pucci, Jessica Lucas, and Elizabeth Blackmore.

The beginning moments of this movie are as intense as the final moments. It starts out strong and ends just as strong.We see a young woman running through the woods, clearly from someone or something. She’s captured by a group of people and is soon seen tied up in the basement of a house. The ring leader of the group is a woman and she’s seen telling someone that they know what they have to do. It is revealed that this is the young woman’s father. She pleads him not to kill her, while everyone else urges him to do so. We soon find out that she is possessed and the father shoots her. Talk about an opening scene. My favorite moment from that scene in particular is when the young woman is pleading for her life, begging her father not to kill her, and then utters, “I will rip your soul out, daddy.”. It is in that moment, I think I had the biggest smile on my face because I knew we were all in for a treat.

Flash forward to present day and we meet our antagonists for the film, David (Fernandez), Natalie (Blackmore), Eric (Pucci), Olivia (Lucas), and Mia (Levy). David and his friends are taking his younger sister to a cabin in an attempt to help her beat her a drug addiction she has been battling for some time. When they arrive at the cabin, we learn that David moved to the city, and left Mia to take care of their sick mother alone, and he had been absent from him friends lives for a while. Mia immediately starts having withdraws and begins smelling weird things in the house. They discover that in the basement/cellar there are rotting animals hanging from the ceiling, a shotgun, a pole where someone was clearly burned to death, and Eric discovers a book. He brings it upstairs with him and begins to study it. Unbeknownst to him, he reads a spell out loud and brings to the surface a devilish force.

Mia, having left the house wanting to go home after their findings in the cellar, is outside alone at the same moments that Eric reads the book. She rushes inside and tells the group she’s seeing things and they have to leave, she promises she’ll continue the treatment at home. Olivia tells her that they aren’t taking her back, thinking that they are doing her a favor, but Mia steals the car keys and leaves, eventually wrecking, crashing the car into a swamp, after seeing a figure standing in the road. Mia tries to make her way back to the cabin, but she gets tangled in a thorn bush. The figure she saw earlier stands before her now, and it is a demonic version of herself. The more Mia tries to get away, the more she becomes in entangled in the vies. The demonic form of Mia releases a black vine from her mouth that enters Mia, yes the much talked “tree-rape” scene from the movie. David and Olivia find Mia and take her back inside, but it’s clear Mia is not herself anymore. She begins acting weird, and David is now convinced she is just going into a deeper stage of withdrawal and leaves her alone.

David goes outside to clear his head and finds his dog killed, he assumes Mia did it while she was outside and rushes back inside to find Mia locked in the bathroom. He breaks in and finds that she has scalded herself with hot water in the shower, and at this point attempts to rush her to a hospital because this is clearly something they cannot handle on their own. Only, jokes on them, the rain has cause the road to become flooded so they’re trapped.

At this point, the group is freaking out and frantic because they aren’t sure what to do now. They are quickly sent into panic when Mia enters the room holding a shotgun, she shoots the gun aimed at David, hitting him in the arm and says, “You’re all going to die tonight”, then passes out. Chaos ensues from this point on, and you have to watch it to get the full appreciation.

Overall, as far as reboots/remakes goes, this one stands on it’s own and does a fantastic job at giving people who were fans of the original a satisfying new take on the story. If you’ve only seen this one and not the original, I strongly recommend the original series as well.
PexordOct 29, 2016
Es una maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita maldita mierda y no le desearia a nadie que pierda su tiempo viendo esta puta mierda
imthenoobFeb 23, 2016
It's a much more darker, horror take on the comedic classic. It's one remake that is actually worth watching and totally lives up to the series it's named after.
calebowensmallJan 23, 2016
"You're all going to die tonight." This is one of the best movies ever! It's deliciously gory and disturbing, and I love the actress who played Mia. If you gave this a negative review, you don't know a good movie if it slapped you in the face.
UrbanlistenerNov 23, 2015
One of the better horror remakes we had over the past years. A solid movie overall, pretty clever, frightening at times, good atmosphere, but mostly a great cinematography. A limited amount of CGI, mostly old fashioned camera tricks. As aOne of the better horror remakes we had over the past years. A solid movie overall, pretty clever, frightening at times, good atmosphere, but mostly a great cinematography. A limited amount of CGI, mostly old fashioned camera tricks. As a modern flick and hommage to the classic original version, it works pretty well. Expand
MajikManXOct 18, 2015
If anyone thinks this film is good they have no idea what a horror movie is. This movie brings so much shame to the name "Evil Dead". Its pretty much a really bad version of the original written for idiots. The "scares" were more thenIf anyone thinks this film is good they have no idea what a horror movie is. This movie brings so much shame to the name "Evil Dead". Its pretty much a really bad version of the original written for idiots. The "scares" were more then predictable and giving a "face" to the evil presence (demon girl and tree slime thing) was just stupid, it worked way better when the evil presence was just that, and evil presence show with good camera work and practical effects. Expand
adverbOct 18, 2015
To paraphrase Tom Russo of the Boston Globe, are we really looking to Evil Dead for demonic possessions played straight? The only thing that set apart Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 2 (the better of the original movies) was the insane sense ofTo paraphrase Tom Russo of the Boston Globe, are we really looking to Evil Dead for demonic possessions played straight? The only thing that set apart Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 2 (the better of the original movies) was the insane sense of humour. Fede Alvarez's incarnation has no humour, no charm to it. Since it's not scary, I don't see the point of even making the movie. Expand
ElGalanJul 12, 2015
A very interesting remake. I usually dislike remakes, but I could not help but love what they did with this.

The CGI/effects are the best I have ever seen. Ever bit of gore looks real...it truly is unmatched.
MorbiousStoneMay 23, 2015
Why in THE HELL DID THEY TAKE ALL THE BEST PARTS OF THIS FRANCHISE AND MIX IT WITH **** PARTS OF "THE RING" CRAP MONSTER AND OTHER NON SCARY ASIAN COMMUNIST HORROR FILMS THAT SUCK WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheQuietGamerJan 22, 2015
Horror movie remakes, or really just remakes of any kind, are rarely any good. However this is one of those movies that manages to go against that. Granted it's nowhere near as good as the original, but it manages to take the plot and keyHorror movie remakes, or really just remakes of any kind, are rarely any good. However this is one of those movies that manages to go against that. Granted it's nowhere near as good as the original, but it manages to take the plot and key scenes from that movie and provide a unique take that proves to be enjoyable.

The scares are of the jump variety. I was surprised to find though that a few of them are effective. However the real star here is the gore. Buckets of blood and mutilation are present just like in the original. The brutality and sickness of the acts onscreen help capture some feeling that made the 1981 classic so loved. There's even a bit of it's humor here and there.

The issue with this remake is that the characters are much dumber than in the original. They make the same dumb mistakes horror movie victims were making back in the original Friday the 13th movies. The worst offender is the guy who causes everything to start. Yeah, just ignore all those warnings genius. It can get a little insulting at times that the director and co-writer Fede Alvarez expects us to believe that people would really be that dumb in the scenarios on display here. I mean there would at least be one smart person among them, right? Even worse is that it leads to a drawn out chase scene at the end.

Despite my irritation at the moronic characters I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the movie. I found it to be a pretty great throwback. I believe that those unfamiliar with the original will find a great modern horror movie here, and those who have watched the original will get a kick out of this new take on it. Even if it isn't as good. It's a solid remake and a pretty great modern horror movie.
GuillermoBMDec 11, 2014
Summary: It fails to provide enough black humor and scares. 44/100 [C-]

Summary: It fails to provide enough black humor and scares. 44/100 [C-]

Five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin. When they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival. Evil Dead is directed by Federico Álvarez, he's an Uruguayan director. It also boasts a well known cast like Jane Levy and Shiloh Fernandez. Moving on, I actually liked the first hour of the film but my main problem is the over-the-top final act. It was too gory and exaggerated. Although its first hour is very entertaining and quite scary, the last 30 minutes are a truly bloody mess.

The opening scene is truly terrifying and extremely violent. I also like that the film does not use too much CGI, the special effects are practical and everything looks realistic. It definitely boasts some bloody and violent moments that fans of the original will enjoy, but another problem with Evil Dead (2013) is that it wasn't genuine enough, it's a shame that the movie relies on gore and forgets about its own narrative coherence. It's excessively gory, especially in its final act, it was too much. Also, most of the scariest scenes are in the trailer! However, it's still worth watching if you're a horror fan. As I said, I enjoyed the first hour, the rest of the movie was pretty messy.

It seems like it wants to copy the unique black humor from the old ones. Moving on, there's a scene after credits that you will probably enjoy, especially if you're a fan of the Evil Dead saga. I recommend it if you're a huge fan of gory horror movies and I also recommend it if you're fan of the franchise, but you shouldn't have very high expectations. I do not recommend it if you're not fan of the horror genre or if you expect interesting characters. In conclusion, this movie is just gory and nothing more, the characters are not engrossing enough and some of the black humor just doesn't work. It's awkwardly unfunny, there isn't a balance between the horror and the comedy. [C-]
ydnar4Nov 22, 2014
One of the worst movies I've ever seen in the theatre. This remake has nothing on the original. It loaded with a bit two much gore. I did like the upgrade in the special effects to make everything look a little bit scarier. This adaptationOne of the worst movies I've ever seen in the theatre. This remake has nothing on the original. It loaded with a bit two much gore. I did like the upgrade in the special effects to make everything look a little bit scarier. This adaptation didn't develop enough individuality. It relied too much on the original film for inspiration. There are some movies that just shouldn't be remade. The Evil Dead is one of them. Expand
JackLSNov 2, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a horror movie, it was great. Although I did not particularly like the main male character, I thought it embodied the soul (pun definitely intended) of a horror movie. I'm a big fan of the Campbell movies, and as a remake of his first evil dead, it did not chalk up to what was expected, however you will be pleasantly surprised if you are hoping for a killer one armed chainsaw fight Expand
horcrux2007Sep 2, 2014
This is probably the goriest widely released Hollywood film ever made. It's an extremely entertaining reboot of the infamous Evil Dead series, and "Evil Dead" is not just a shot-for-shot remake of the original; it's a completely differentThis is probably the goriest widely released Hollywood film ever made. It's an extremely entertaining reboot of the infamous Evil Dead series, and "Evil Dead" is not just a shot-for-shot remake of the original; it's a completely different movie with new characters and plot points. The acting is okay from most of the actors, and the cinematography is great as well. I definitely recommend this to anyone who can stomach a lot of blood and gore. Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
The first Evil Dead was neither comical or "fun" when it first came out it was horrifying, gory, and relentless. Such as this film is. It also keeps in the tradition of each film being a different genre piece. Evil Dead was horror, Evil DeadThe first Evil Dead was neither comical or "fun" when it first came out it was horrifying, gory, and relentless. Such as this film is. It also keeps in the tradition of each film being a different genre piece. Evil Dead was horror, Evil Dead 2 was horror comedy, and Army was comedy. People seem to completely forget the original Evil Dead and talk about Evil Dead 2 like it's the first. The only reason "Evil Dead" would be considered funny is due to its age and acting. This movie was fantastic, scary, non-stop, and crazy entertaining. Sure the film isn't perfect, but it makes up for that by being a blast to watch.

Overall I give this movie a 7.0 i will be buying this and re-watching many times
JekSpaceyMay 11, 2014
Remake of the cult horror film of the 80s directed by Sam Raimi, "The House " by Fede Alvarez , against all odds is a decent horror film that offers an ' excellent and essential component splatter.
At the technical level is almost perfect .
At the technical level is almost perfect . The direction , although it was entrusted to a novice , it is discreet and overflowing with good ideas , the photograph appears almost bloody , and the script manages to convince thanks to its simplicity and the desire to not take itself too seriously . Flaw , however, in the staging that can not be grim and dark like the original, this also because of the little picturesque scenery . It must be said , too, that despite the past thirty years from the original, this remake fails minimally to strike the same terror , and especially to recreate that dark feature of the whole trilogy, Raimi , who took part in the production and implementation of the remake with Bruce Campbell. Surely the touch of Raimi it can be seen in the fabulous splatter scenes , but the staging is definitely not the result of his creativity.
In conclusion, surely "The House " by Fede Alvarez taken as a single film can only be a good product, but it absolutely does not stand comparison with the 1981 original , directed by a director but not a genius ....
Meth-dudeApr 9, 2014
Okay just to make things clear: There is way TOO MUCH BLOOD! The beginning is ok but not original, but when the action starts there is a lot of good horror and action scenes.I am not saying i don't like when there is too much blood on moviesOkay just to make things clear: There is way TOO MUCH BLOOD! The beginning is ok but not original, but when the action starts there is a lot of good horror and action scenes.I am not saying i don't like when there is too much blood on movies but for this one it's overrated. A good movie but not extraordinary, he can stay in our mind but not if you find something better Expand
toheselueApr 8, 2014
“Evil Dead” oder “Die Rache der Klofrau”
Komm grad aus dem Kino. Haben zu viert (vier Cineasten, muss ich dazu sagen) das Remake vom indizierten Skandal-Kult-Horror-Film “Evil Dead”, deutsch: “Tanz der Teufel”, angeschaut.
Wobei
“Evil Dead” oder “Die Rache der Klofrau”

Wobei “angeschaut” nicht das richtige Wort ist, denn so wirklich viel auf die Leinwand schauen konnte ich nicht. Aber dazu später.

(Spoileralarm)

Die Handlung ist kurz erklärt, wenn nicht schon durch die Medien derzeit hinlänglich bekannt:
Junge Erwachsene (klar, 2 Frauen, 2 Kerle) fahren in den Wald, um einer der beiden Mädels in einer ziemlich **** Holzhütte übers Wochenende auf die Schnelle einen “kalten Entzug” aufzudrücken.
Mit dabei der Bruder von Frau Junkie, ein Jesus-Freak (sieht jedenfalls so aus, die Rolle ist im Übrigen absolut unterentwickelt), die Freundin vom Bruder von Frau Junkie (die im gesamten Film, wenn überhaupt, 3 ganze Sätze spricht), und - natürlich - eine Krankenschwester, die sich zutraut, ohne ärztliche Aufsicht mal eben in einer dreckigen Holzhütte (Stichwort: beruhigendes Ambiente…) ihrer Freundin die Heroinsucht auszutreiben.
Kurz und gut: beste Voraussetzungen für eineinhalb Stunden Blut, Kettensägen, Nägel in Kopp, Messer in die Fresse… uuuund, was fehlt? Ach ja: Zombies.
OK, bei “Evil Dead” gibt es keine Zombies, sondern dämonische Heimsuchungen mit gelben Augen, verzerrter Stimme, viel Fäkalsprache und sonstigem beim “Exorzisten” entliehenen Dingenszeugs.
Die Zombies tauchen natürlich nicht einfach so auf, weit gefehlt!
Durch einen blöden … ääähm … Zufall finden die vier im Keller des Hauses tote Katzen, viele Fliegen und das Buuuuhuuuuch, welches zu dem Zeitpunkt keine große Überraschung mehr ist, da es im Mini-Vorspann schon längt eingeführt wurde und dem Zuschauer ab Minute 3 klar sein sollte, was die nächsten 88 Minuten passieren wird.
… Denkste.
Denn was in den restlichen Filmstreifen oder HD-Speicher-Chip-Dateneinheiten passiert, übersteigt laut Presse und Machern alles bis dahin Dagewesene im Horror-Genre.
Gähn.

Jo, es ist blutig.
Jo, es ist oft eklig.
Jo, es ist krank.
Aber es geht in keiner Sekunde unter die Haut. Jedenfalls nicht mir als Zuschauer. Den Protagonisten geht so ziemlich alles unter die Haut: Nadeln, Glasscherben, Nägel, Messer, Äste (Stichwort: Vergewaltigung)… und natürlich die rostige, oben schon erwähnte und oft bewährte Kettensäge.

(Apropos ”unter die Haut”: Das Thema Sex spielt Gott sei Dank trotz des jugendlichen Personals keine Rolle. Das hebt den Film zwar nicht weit aus seiner schlammigen Versenkung heraus, ist aber immerhin eine Erwähnung wert.)

Was allerdings im Original 1981 unter die Haut ging, waren die Beziehungen der Protagonisten zueinander. Die Effekte waren damals - nach heutigen Standards - verflucht grottig (Stichwort: Knetmasse), aber man konnte nachvollziehen, warum die einzelnen “Überlebenden” sich weigerten, ihre Freunde mit der Nagelfeile die Kehle durchzuschneiden. Weil da Verbindungen, echte Freundschaften …. Werte und Moral … im Spiel waren.

2013 gibt es auch Freundschaften, nur sind die schon von Anfang an kaputt. Es gibt Familienbande, die allerdings nicht nur kaputt, sondern auch absolut bescheuert inszeniert sind (Stichwort: Mutter).
Und es gibt ein Finale, das die Bezeichnung nicht annähernd verdient und das Original-Ende von 1981 auf einen goldenen Sockel hievt.

Wer sich auch einen goldenen Sockel kaufen können sollte, ist die Klofrau vom CineMaxx hier in Muc.
Denn was die Leute während des Films aufs Klo gerannt sind, war phänomenal.
Teilweise hatte ich das Gefühl, der Film bestünde nur aus Schwarzblenden, weil dauernd ein unförmiger Körper aus irgendeiner Reihe vor uns sich durchs Bild schob und mir die Sicht auf die Leinwand beraubte. Kaum hatte er das Ende der Sitzreihe erreicht, gabs die nächste Schwarzblende, denn es kam ja schon der Vorgänger von seiner Klofrau-Belästigung zurück.

Leute, bitte zieht Euch Windeln an oder sauft weniger Cola, wenn Ihr ins Kino geht!! Was ist denn mit Euch bloß los?!
Ihr lieben Leser meint, ich übertreibe. Fragt @playdead2010, der neben mir saß. Er wird Euch bestätigen, dass der heimliche Star des Abends die Klofrau gewesen sein muss.

Und, liebe Pissoir- und Schüsselbesucher… wenn Ihr die nicht anständig belohnt habt… dann droht sie Euch…

DIE RACHE DER KLOFRAU

DAS wird ein blutiges Kino-Spektakel, auf das ich mich schon jetzt freue.
Und ich werde in der ersten Reihe sitzen, mit einem fetten Eimer Popcorn, 3l Cola, einem eingeschalteten Handy, viel Gesprächsbedarf.

Und einer Windel.
lukechristianscMar 14, 2014
out of all the scary films i saw on my tv i never saw a movie that had so much blood . sure a 1981 evil dead was good but this is one of the gore fest movies i had ever seen . sure i saw james wan's saw and it wasnt epic as evil deadout of all the scary films i saw on my tv i never saw a movie that had so much blood . sure a 1981 evil dead was good but this is one of the gore fest movies i had ever seen . sure i saw james wan's saw and it wasnt epic as evil dead remake . but i wish evil dead remake had a sequel Expand
jppl1999Mar 12, 2014
Good movie to pass the time. It is scary in some aspects but the high inclusion of blood and masochist situations gives the movie a lack of approach to suspense and therefore, the aspects that people want to see in a real horror movie, but atGood movie to pass the time. It is scary in some aspects but the high inclusion of blood and masochist situations gives the movie a lack of approach to suspense and therefore, the aspects that people want to see in a real horror movie, but at last, it is entertaining and funny in certain way, regardless it is a thriller/horror film. Expand
FilmVirtueFeb 14, 2014
The remake of the Evil dead series by Sam Raimi does live up to it's reputation from the first film which is gruesome and bloody, but does forget the humor-- One of the things that made the very film popular in the first place.
PlanByHeroFeb 2, 2014
Another dull remake. Don't believe all the hype about this being a bold new reimagining or any of that lark. Its just another unimaginative remake that adds nothing but removes all the humour the original had. If you don't like some laughs inAnother dull remake. Don't believe all the hype about this being a bold new reimagining or any of that lark. Its just another unimaginative remake that adds nothing but removes all the humour the original had. If you don't like some laughs in your horror flicks and/or didn't see or like the original Evil Dead films then give this a shot. If you're fan of the originals then stay away; you'll just be frustrated by the complete lack of originality here. Great special effects though. Expand
FordFanatic19Jan 25, 2014
I enjoyed watching this movie. It isn't the most horrific or scary movie, but the cinematography is excellent. This has to be one of the best lower budget remakes of older films to date. There are a few jump scares throughout this film. SomeI enjoyed watching this movie. It isn't the most horrific or scary movie, but the cinematography is excellent. This has to be one of the best lower budget remakes of older films to date. There are a few jump scares throughout this film. Some parts of this film also make you cringe. It is an exciting movie and would recommend it to others. Expand
Spider1775Dec 24, 2013
Evil Dead is, above all else, a disappointment, a disappointment in that it fails to capture what made the original Evil Dead great, the originals charm is gone, and has been replaced with many of the trappings of horror films today: lameEvil Dead is, above all else, a disappointment, a disappointment in that it fails to capture what made the original Evil Dead great, the originals charm is gone, and has been replaced with many of the trappings of horror films today: lame writing, and (possibly the scariest thing of the entire film) horrifically bland acting. The original at least had the excuse that it had absolutely no budget and no true star power, so of course it's going to be a little underwhelming, yet this is a movie with a bigger budget and somehow it's more poorly written and not well acted. However, I'm still not giving this a low score, why, because it still has good stuff in it. The gore is back full force and there is cringe worthy fun in how over the top extreme it is. Even if four of the main cast are horribly bland, Jane Levy is actually pretty good in the film, sensitive yet also a bad ass action star, hopefully, in sequels they will just keep her and the actors will improve. Finally, that last thing that keeps me from flat out panning this film is that despite the lame writing, the story is actually not that bad, in fact it has a climax that is a huge blast of fun and blood, so yeah, do I hate it, no, but I will say, this is, perhaps, the biggest disappointment of this year Expand
marcmyworksDec 8, 2013
A far too serious remake of a genius film. The main characters are not likeable and it isn't until towards the end where the film really becomes enjoyable.
moviecritic3235Nov 10, 2013
This movie a god awful, I can pull better movie out of my butt. First of all I've never even heard of the director, his movies look terrible. The most important thing is that is doesn't even follow the old Evil Dead movie so what's the pointThis movie a god awful, I can pull better movie out of my butt. First of all I've never even heard of the director, his movies look terrible. The most important thing is that is doesn't even follow the old Evil Dead movie so what's the point In even making a new one. I will say this, Jane Levy as a heroin addict going through withdrawal is a interesting part. Expand
starscream97Nov 4, 2013
I can understand why people like it, for sure it's just that from the trailers and the reviews i thought it was going to be an actual horror movie and not just a straight up gore fest. The practical effects are amazing but I still would'veI can understand why people like it, for sure it's just that from the trailers and the reviews i thought it was going to be an actual horror movie and not just a straight up gore fest. The practical effects are amazing but I still would've preferred more scares, and better characters. Expand
Nesbitt10Oct 14, 2013
"Evil Dead" comes across as more of a gruesome homage, alienating itself from fans looking for the franchise's trademark of unrelenting gore and tongue-in-cheek humor. The latter-day version of "Evil Dead," directed by Fede Alvarez, keeps the"Evil Dead" comes across as more of a gruesome homage, alienating itself from fans looking for the franchise's trademark of unrelenting gore and tongue-in-cheek humor. The latter-day version of "Evil Dead," directed by Fede Alvarez, keeps the main focus on the gruesome element alone. Full of old-school effects, without any assistance from CGI, Alvarez's franchise entry has little to none of Raimi's humor, but certainly delivers on the carnage and bloodshed.

The heart of story remains intact: five college-age men and women head off to an isolated cabin in the woods. They are staging an intervention designed to get Mia (Jane Levy), who is no longer able to socially use heroin. Her four supporters are her estranged brother, David (Shiloh Fernandez), and his personality-devoid girlfriend, Natalie (Elizabeth Blackmore), registered nurse Olivia (Jessica Lucas), and Eric (Lou Taylor Pucci). In the cabin's dark, damp basement, they discover the Necronomicon, or better known as the book of the dead. Eric, in an act of overt horror movie stupidity, starts reading passages from the Necronomicon unknowingly unleashing the demons.

In his first feature film, Uruguayan director and co-scriptwriter Fede Alvarez demonstrates his wild imagination, and displays his talent for delivering the squirm-inducing images of body mutilations and other numerous atrocities. A nail gun, an electric carving knife, and a chainsaw all have their moment in the spotlight as weapons. What this new entry lacks entirely, which is so prevalent in the other movies in the franchise, is the tongue-in-cheek humor that accompanies the over-the-top gore and violence.

In the three decades since Raimi made "Evil Dead," many have copied, adapted, or borrowed from his low-budget playbook. It's extremely challenging to pull off something original, amusing, and truly horrifying all at once. That is exactly what made last year's "Cabin in the Woods" (2012) such a clever, entertaining watch, and a terrific addition to the genre. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, who directed and co-starred in the original horror classic, have production credits in this component, yet ultimately disappointing remake. Take away the name of "Evil Dead," and you're left with a movie that features your typical brainless characters who exist simply for elimination through horrific methods.
jacobmmmcccSep 30, 2013
evil dead was surprisingly good. It was written well,the acting was good,and the special affects were awesome. it was really gory but it was still really good. this might sound weird but 2 scenes in the movie are actually quiet sad
bloodyhorror143Sep 28, 2013
Ok so i have been looking for a very long time.All i have to say is it's a "MUST SEE!" It is a very awesome gore fest, good story line, and it has no sex. I think that really good horror movies don't always need it.this movie had my bloodOk so i have been looking for a very long time.All i have to say is it's a "MUST SEE!" It is a very awesome gore fest, good story line, and it has no sex. I think that really good horror movies don't always need it.this movie had my blood running hott. It is epic!, why are you still reading!??!! Go watch it!. Expand
Rox22Sep 23, 2013
To be honest, I had expected so much more from this movie. Unforetunately it really is nothing special. Just another generic gory horror movie.

Narrative more or less follows the original. Improving some parts making the movie feel a little more grounded at times and a little more real. Unfortunately this is what is wrong with it. The original was also flawed but it at least had it's charm and almost goofy, yet horrifying, tone. The Evil Dead remake is just focusing on the horrifying and turning it up to ridiculously high levels. The characters this time round are so underdeveloped that you really do not care at all about them. They might as well have MEAT stamped on their foreheads.Jane Levy is perhaps the only character that did get my attention and I really do love the twist involving her close to the end, nice little nod to the original and also giving it its own interpretation.

As a horror, it does have its share of scares and creepy moments. Gore fanatics will love this movie. There is ALLOT of blood and gore. The practical effects just make everything so much more sickening. Nice to see some old school FX at work.

Overall:
If anything, this movie's biggest fail has got to be the name it has to live up to. It doesn't. It tries too hard to stay loyal to the source material, but takes away so much that made the original what it was. It's a good attempt, but I don't think you can make an Evil Dead movie without Bruce Campbell.

Also: The gore did get a little too needlessly excessive closer to the end. In the original, it was a little goofy. In this one, it feels like gore-fore-the-sake-of-gore.
is_isSep 7, 2013
Let me begin by saying I am a fan of the original as well as a fan of Sam Raimi. I was excited to see Evil Dead translated into a more modern style horror movie, and I was not disappointed. This movie was exactly what it was intended to be.Let me begin by saying I am a fan of the original as well as a fan of Sam Raimi. I was excited to see Evil Dead translated into a more modern style horror movie, and I was not disappointed. This movie was exactly what it was intended to be. No, Bruce Campbell will not burst through the door. There are nods to the original without giving us the exact same movie twice. If you don't like it, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Expand
JohnnyStephensAug 31, 2013
It's mediocre. I have to say that the classic one is better than this one. There were some parts that gore shouldn't be. My favourite genre is horror, but this one is not good. It's not bad too though.
sparklableAug 29, 2013
Anyone who says this is nothing like the original is wrong. The original was a gore film and so is this one. For some reason tho I do like this movie, it has that extra edge to it compared to the 1980's version. Worth a watch
Luiz_FelipeAug 28, 2013
Surprisingly fun! However, never got enough suspense to chill out. Better than most other horror films out there but never outstanding. I recommend a try.
kckkryptoniteAug 15, 2013
I'm disappointed to say the least. There were some throwbacks and similarities to Evil Dead, but the nonsensical, tacked on, ending after the credits was the best part. This movie had no business being named Evil Dead other than to cash in onI'm disappointed to say the least. There were some throwbacks and similarities to Evil Dead, but the nonsensical, tacked on, ending after the credits was the best part. This movie had no business being named Evil Dead other than to cash in on the franchise.

It's a pretty bad movie, which has nothing going for it except its name. The acting is bad, the plot is a contrived mess, and the characters aren't believable or likable. Being a huge horror fan, I would say some of the death scenes and gore were cool, but that's where the compliments end. It got painful as it went, but the movie managed to keep me watching until the end, at times I felt like "endure" might be the better verb. The best way to watch it is to go in with no expectations. If you were a big fan of the original, you'll probably despise this.
AVTRlover41Aug 11, 2013
This was not that scary to me. It was a good waste of an hour and a half, but the movie was just OK, not great. Everything that happened could have been avoided just by using common sense. Overall, this was OK, but it was most certainly notThis was not that scary to me. It was a good waste of an hour and a half, but the movie was just OK, not great. Everything that happened could have been avoided just by using common sense. Overall, this was OK, but it was most certainly not the best horror movie that I have ever seen. Expand
wolffman95Aug 8, 2013
As a re-imagining of a cult classic, this movie succeeds on multiple levels. Where this movie succeeds most in, is the way it feels like a new movie and reminds you of the originals at the same time. With excellent visuals, "good enough"As a re-imagining of a cult classic, this movie succeeds on multiple levels. Where this movie succeeds most in, is the way it feels like a new movie and reminds you of the originals at the same time. With excellent visuals, "good enough" acting, excellent use of practical effects and makeup and enough blood and cringe worthy moments to satisfy your palette, this is a worthy and very successful film by a new time director. 10/10 Expand
ricardmoAug 6, 2013
This movie kept surprising me. I am a fan of the original series and every time I thought the movie was going on a wrong turn, it just snapped back and proved me wrong. It is *ultra* violent but not in a bad way. See it.
kotayAug 5, 2013
If you are a fan of the old movies then give this one a miss, you will only be disappointed. I struggled to watch past the halfway mark it is that generically bad. Save yourself the woe and just watch the old trilogy again, you will have aIf you are a fan of the old movies then give this one a miss, you will only be disappointed. I struggled to watch past the halfway mark it is that generically bad. Save yourself the woe and just watch the old trilogy again, you will have a better time. Expand
breakeyedAug 2, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The re-utilization of practical effects makes this movie looks nasty and horrific. I feel this remake of the classic Evil Dead movie has done its part and it is a great horror movie. However there are missing scenes that are shown in the red band trailer. For instance the part where the possessed one that trapped in the basement says, "CUT IT! CUT IT!" but instead its being replaced to counter-psychological response saying "don't cut it". It feels the insanity is not there at all. On the other hand, it is a good start for new movies to imitate the practical effects and I can't wait to see what kind of movies will be made after. Expand
Apemonkey666Jul 29, 2013
Same story, but much more bloody and humorless. That's not to say it's a bad film, but despite it's name it's not an Evil Dead film either. Some scenes mimic Japanese horror flicks like The Ring and the excessive gore and violence is copiedSame story, but much more bloody and humorless. That's not to say it's a bad film, but despite it's name it's not an Evil Dead film either. Some scenes mimic Japanese horror flicks like The Ring and the excessive gore and violence is copied from the SAW legacy. But if you're gonna make a bleak and serious horror movie you have to go all the way -which the French have done very well the last couple of years- but there it falls short. The young actors are just uncharismatic zombie fodder (you won't care if they live) who can't replace the memory of Bruce Campell (who got a nice cheque as the producer on this film sellout). The closest thing I've seen to Evil Dead is from Mr. Raimi himself: Drag Me to Hell. Better watch that if haven't seen it yet instead of this film. Expand
botflygmrJul 29, 2013
Brutal. Unforgiving. Unforgettable. Fun. I NEVER EVER sort by critic scores, because, well, they NEVER EVER get it right. Overtly dramatic movies with predictable love stories or movies that put me to sleep are the only ones to ever getBrutal. Unforgiving. Unforgettable. Fun. I NEVER EVER sort by critic scores, because, well, they NEVER EVER get it right. Overtly dramatic movies with predictable love stories or movies that put me to sleep are the only ones to ever get decent scores. This movie is no exception. 57 average? compared to 7.7? Critics aren't people, and they don't count. Period. Evil Dead was a great horror flick with plenty of homage to the original. Expand
RedFilmBear30Jul 25, 2013
This new take on Sam Raimi's original cult classic "The Evil Dead", lives up to the legacy. Not shying away from inventive horror gore, unflinching and relentless violence, this re-imagined approach brings something fresh to fans of theThis new take on Sam Raimi's original cult classic "The Evil Dead", lives up to the legacy. Not shying away from inventive horror gore, unflinching and relentless violence, this re-imagined approach brings something fresh to fans of the original. Of particular note is the acting of Jane Levy who plays the tortured damsel-in-distress-turned-heroine. A must for die hard fans of the original franchise, and horror genre fans. Expand
survivorfan989Jul 24, 2013
Wow! This is one hell of a movie and a fantastic remake of what was already a pretty awesome film, but updated for today's generation. It should please most fans of the original as well as newbies that are not aware of it, but it's certainlyWow! This is one hell of a movie and a fantastic remake of what was already a pretty awesome film, but updated for today's generation. It should please most fans of the original as well as newbies that are not aware of it, but it's certainly up there as the film with the most blood I have ever seen, as well as having the most cringe-worthy moments :P Nothing but solid entertainment throughout and I would highly recommend it to any Horror fans, and its now one of my all-time favourite films! Expand
jcasetnlJul 21, 2013
Either it had to substitute Bruce Campbell's charisma with a character of its own or it had to develop the cast into people we could care about even a little. Failing both those options, it's good fun, but this is a well-crafted slasherEither it had to substitute Bruce Campbell's charisma with a character of its own or it had to develop the cast into people we could care about even a little. Failing both those options, it's good fun, but this is a well-crafted slasher flick that will be quickly forgotten. Expand
Magic_KeeblerJul 20, 2013
Personally, A great horror that gives you the skin crawling feeling you would expect from this gore fest. Go see it if you saw the original or if you didn't.
DreadLordAvatarJul 20, 2013
Absolute garbage. Terrible story and writing, totally boring. Horrible acting. The only good things to mention are the special fx and it the film is short.
Sevvy88Jul 20, 2013
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The dialogue was generally unwitty, and there weren't many clever moments. I appreciated some of the accents they threw in there as nods to the horror genre, and as a genre film, it definitely stands up toIt wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The dialogue was generally unwitty, and there weren't many clever moments. I appreciated some of the accents they threw in there as nods to the horror genre, and as a genre film, it definitely stands up to the task. It cut out a lot of the more tired moments in horror cinema as well (Hint: no one gets killed while having a forced, passionate moment). All in all I think they set out what they wanted to do. It left me mostly unimpressed and unaffected. What I am giving my score for is mostly the cinematography itself: it was fantastic. The colors in the movie and the general lighting were top notch. They REALLY went above and beyond with the cabin as a setting and they just really worked the camera. Several times I realized I was impressed by the atmosphere. So, while I'm not a huge fan of splatter "cover your eyes" gore at the expense of the health of a cast of poor, bewildered 20-somethings, I AM a fan of great camera work, clever sets, and beautiful lighting, something this film has in spades. Expand
LucidDreamerJul 19, 2013
Typically remakes are never as good as the originals, however I'm glad to say this film doesn't follow that trend. Evil Dead (2013 version) did what the first two attempts could not and that is make a genuine scary, creepy, gory movie!!! ITypically remakes are never as good as the originals, however I'm glad to say this film doesn't follow that trend. Evil Dead (2013 version) did what the first two attempts could not and that is make a genuine scary, creepy, gory movie!!! I personally believe the horror genre is the hardest of all the genres to make a quality film worth any merit. And this version of Evil Dead is what the first two should have been...a quality horror film actually worth watching. I love this film and a must see if you are a TRUE horror fan! Expand
jamessJul 17, 2013
You gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up thisYou gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up this reboot-remake-whatever with fine cinematography and expert compositions, as oppossed to your usual Platinum Dunes job. It takes a while to establish the characters, which works well setting the stage before all hell breaks loose. Once it does, it barely slows down to catch its breath. I like the nods to the original (the Olds, Michigan State shirt, the 'ol running thru the woods with the camera,etc), while being it's own thing. With all the PG13 exorcism and posession movies that call themselves horror films nowadays, it's good to see a hard R, bloody good time. Very curious to see what the director follows this up with. Expand
zmax78Jul 17, 2013
I remember the effect that the first Evil Dead movies had on me. In its time, it set the bar high for other horror films. This is what i expected from Evil Dead (2013). I got the ticket for the movie, and could barely wait to get in to theI remember the effect that the first Evil Dead movies had on me. In its time, it set the bar high for other horror films. This is what i expected from Evil Dead (2013). I got the ticket for the movie, and could barely wait to get in to the theater, the first few minutes looked promising... unfortunately the new movie failed to deliver, or even live up to its predecessors, as i watched the rest of the movie. I'm saying this as a nostalgic fan of the Evil Dead trilogy. Then i thought maybe the scary factors isn't working because I'm feeling comforted by the viewers sitting next to me in the theater, so, i got it in blue ray disc and watched all by my self, and still it didn't have that scare or suspense effect on me. I think the scare tactics were typical, flat, cliche, and can't say i have seen any thing that the film makers have done to bring the viewers to the edge of their seats. Evil Dead (2013) could have done better, hopefully they will in the next Evil Dead movie. Expand
MattCipolla926Jul 15, 2013
Judging this as a remake, it's a masterpiece. Judging this as a film on its own, it's still great. The cinematography and directing is terrific; both create a great sense of dread and there are several tropes that are subverted, mostly duringJudging this as a remake, it's a masterpiece. Judging this as a film on its own, it's still great. The cinematography and directing is terrific; both create a great sense of dread and there are several tropes that are subverted, mostly during the final act. Speaking of which, the last 25 minutes or so were scary as hell and usually excessive and overt gore annoys me and comes off as cheap, but here it balanced the cartoonishness and the graphic nature so it didn't come off as distracting and ending up being fun. Also, thank God for practical effects. The makeup and effects looked terrific and were all so convincing, infinitely better than CG crap. The main problem was what seems to be the issue with so many horror films: really weak characters. Only the main girl was worth routing for, and arguably the blonde guy that looked like Kurt Cobain. There was a blonde girl that was completely expendable. And PLEASE STAY AFTER THE CREDITS!!! There's a huge surprise for fans of the series! 8.7/10, great, two thumbs up (barely), above average, etc. Expand
oliver1hJul 15, 2013
It has all the gory and violence of the original without it's ASH (Bruce Campbell's cult role) and smart humor and wit. You can enjoy this movie, if you are into horror movies in general. In this case it is a decent movie. Nothing specialIt has all the gory and violence of the original without it's ASH (Bruce Campbell's cult role) and smart humor and wit. You can enjoy this movie, if you are into horror movies in general. In this case it is a decent movie. Nothing special though. If you see it as a remake of the original, it is a huge disappointment. It is too "self-serious", and not a deliberately cheesy and funny as the original. It was missing the spirit of Sam Raimi's direction also. Go watch the original Expand
BrandonBonaseraJul 13, 2013
Groovy, terrifying and incredibly entertaining. Evil Dead 2013 (unlike most remakes) is made with complete care to the original and pays plenty of fan service as well. Viewers can expect an intense, extremely gory and brutally terrifyingGroovy, terrifying and incredibly entertaining. Evil Dead 2013 (unlike most remakes) is made with complete care to the original and pays plenty of fan service as well. Viewers can expect an intense, extremely gory and brutally terrifying instalment that never has a dull moment thanks to great cinematography, a nice pace and realistic prosthetics that make all the over-the-top and gruesome violence feel very real. Featuring great performances from Jane Levy and Lou Taylor Pucci and a horrifyingly chilling soundtrack, Evil Dead 2013 is a must see for any horror fan. Stay behind the end credits for an incredibly groovy surprise. Expand
ReverendDJul 6, 2013
Total junk! I loved the original, and expected a lot more from this one. The only thing it delivers is bloody corpses and people puking. But none of the character development, humor, or acting of the original. The supposedly tight-knitTotal junk! I loved the original, and expected a lot more from this one. The only thing it delivers is bloody corpses and people puking. But none of the character development, humor, or acting of the original. The supposedly tight-knit group of childhood friends show no real connection to each other aside from a few lines of droll dialogue--they may as well have been complete strangers. The action is virtually non-existent. And then there is the whole thing with "hey, there's a monster out there picking us out one by one, but let me go somewhere alone..." and the "I know what I gotta do, but I'll just do the exact opposite". Bleh! Expand
Enforcer122Jul 6, 2013
I liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does haveI liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does have a sense of nostalgia but at the same time brings up new things to experience... It does feel a bit too much of a teenage fest, which was slightly disappointing and at times it does feel slightly cheap, but overall it was a thrill ride. Would watch again. Expand
Mk_UltraJul 5, 2013
Ok, first of all if you an old school evil dead fan, or an Ash fan like myself, your going to be disappointed. The movie has average effects, and a lot rip off the exorcist in terms of look, also the movie seems rushed at the end. The targetOk, first of all if you an old school evil dead fan, or an Ash fan like myself, your going to be disappointed. The movie has average effects, and a lot rip off the exorcist in terms of look, also the movie seems rushed at the end. The target audience is obviously for teenagers. Don't be fooled by the positive reviews, if your a true horror fan and a movie buff you'll see past this lack of substance and horrible acting. This isn't horror its a disgrace to the evil dead franchise. Must every remake these days be trash? I'll let you decide. Expand
dementeJul 2, 2013
ATTENZIONE SPOILER
Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.
ATTENZIONE SPOILER
Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.

Innanzitutto ho gradito quei piccoli particolari che permettono allo spettatore di capire cosa accade in tutto il film, infatti, non rimangono domande sospese o domande che il visionatore normalmente si farebbe come: "ma perchè non bruciano il libro"?

Gli effetti speciali sono molto ben curati, nonostante sia un remake non annoia ma anzi, ti tiene costantemente attento.

Indubbiamente per me uno dei migliori horror che abbia visto ultimamente. Davvero ben fatto, assolutamente consigliato :D
MisterKSJul 2, 2013
I just can't believe the movie was awesome. It was totally mind-blowing. I loved the 1981 version, but this just got modified. Well, at first, i thought it was going to be another remake with dumb characters who doesn't take anythingI just can't believe the movie was awesome. It was totally mind-blowing. I loved the 1981 version, but this just got modified. Well, at first, i thought it was going to be another remake with dumb characters who doesn't take anything seriously. Thank god it doesn't. If you don't like heavy gore and have a faint of heart, then you better check out other movies. This is totally a keeper. Expand
SuperNaivJun 30, 2013
Have you ever seen crap? Well, now you can! I really don't get why this movie got 7.6 from users. This movie trying desperately to be something it's not. This retarded peace of crap is completely pointless and stupid. If you are kid thenHave you ever seen crap? Well, now you can! I really don't get why this movie got 7.6 from users. This movie trying desperately to be something it's not. This retarded peace of crap is completely pointless and stupid. If you are kid then maybe then you can enjoy it. But if you are reasonable and intelligent human being then you must turn off all your critical senses if you would like to enjoy this movie. Rather stay at home and read some boring book. You get more out of it. Expand
MovieGoer14Jun 29, 2013
Evil Dead is a first rate horror movie with a pleasant and developed plot with fascinating but scary as hell practical effects. It is the best horror movie out since Cabin in the Woods.
AReviewsJun 24, 2013
The Evil Dead is actually one of the scariest movies ever, and it is one of the best classics, the remake Evil Dead is as good as the first, with better budget and better improves, but is Evil Dead (2013) scary as the The Evil Dead (1981)The Evil Dead is actually one of the scariest movies ever, and it is one of the best classics, the remake Evil Dead is as good as the first, with better budget and better improves, but is Evil Dead (2013) scary as the The Evil Dead (1981) No. Evil Dead is extremely scary funny ride, with good acting and great story which is really improved! Expand
SylaxSYNJun 24, 2013
This was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. IThis was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. I definitely enjoyed it flaws and all. My only problems with the movie was the character development and the deadites themselves. In the original Evil Dead the deadites were and still are terrifying. In the 2013 version they seem less like demonic being and more like the infected from 28 days later. The character development seems to just jump back and forth and it's not till the end that you realize that Mia was in fact the "final girl", despite being the main deadite for most of the film. The trailer led you to believe that David was the main protagonist and would be the "ash role", David is even shown in the trailer using the chainsaw which was eventually cut from the film. And lastly, I know a lot of people have a problem with this remake/reboot/sequel, some even reference the lack of comedy. But if you actually watched the original, there was no real comedy in it. The original was a normal horror movie, it wasn't until the sequels that it started to shift to a more black comedy than pure horror. Regardless of being a fan of the series or not, if you like horror and are not suffering from cranial rectitis then you'll enjoy the movie. Expand
jbody2nrJun 10, 2013
A fantastic remake. I never expect much from anything on a second go around, but I honestly believe they really outdid themselves with this one. One of the few I may actually enjoy more than the original.
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"Without a doubt the most sadistic, gruesome and just plain terrifying film i have had the pleasure of seeing. The Evil Dead is gory, disgusting & pays homage to the original while all the same giving the fans the blood and carnage we have"Without a doubt the most sadistic, gruesome and just plain terrifying film i have had the pleasure of seeing. The Evil Dead is gory, disgusting & pays homage to the original while all the same giving the fans the blood and carnage we have been waiting for" A Expand
BrianMcCriticJun 2, 2013
There is a lot of gore here withe a story that allows me to at least recommend seeing it once if you like horror movies. Don't go in expecting to care about any of the characters cause you won't.
ggcooljMay 28, 2013
This movie absolutely went right down my alley! The movie delivered stunning gore effects (best in years), interesting story although not perfect, and great performance from Jane Levy. I recommend this movie to any horror fan or just simplyThis movie absolutely went right down my alley! The movie delivered stunning gore effects (best in years), interesting story although not perfect, and great performance from Jane Levy. I recommend this movie to any horror fan or just simply Someone who enjoys movies. Expand
scarletellisMay 18, 2013
Horror Genre perfection. Someone really needs to educate critics on the difference between the Horror Genre and the Thriller Genre. A horror movie not scaring you isn't a valid criticism.

Much like Evil Dead 2 this takes the original idea

Much like Evil Dead 2 this takes the original idea and reworks it in an original way. A completely solid and well written horror movie that gets under your skin like horror should. Real horror fans will not be disappointed.
JacobparkerMay 18, 2013
Well Sam Raimi is a genius!
He succeeds to provide every horror movie with the right portions and horror with humor. The Remake is not better than the original, but not worse.
monster_mealMay 13, 2013
I was spooked, I was grossed out, and I laughed. It was a great ride! What a treat to get an actual horror movie amongst the films that pass as horror these days. For a guy who grew up on this stuff, I had SO much fun watching this.
bm2759May 13, 2013
What a film! For someone who only watches horror films occassionally this film was really, really good. Sure the acting isn't perfect and some of the actions these characters take is obviously wrong, but within the context of this film isWhat a film! For someone who only watches horror films occassionally this film was really, really good. Sure the acting isn't perfect and some of the actions these characters take is obviously wrong, but within the context of this film is fitting.

As everyone has said the minimal use of CGI and gore at the right moments is what make this film very effective at scaring you. In addition to the poignant use of gore, the length of the film and a non too predictable storyline had been hooked from start to finish.

You know you've seen a great horror film when you leave and see girls crying or fainting outside the cinema. This is not a film for those you can't cope with realistic gore and horror.

If you want to see this please do and hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did.
RobyLula555May 5, 2013
Movie is scary and i didn't sleep after trailer. really good job and i really love this movie i will watch it over and over.And It have a hectoliters of blood.
SakurabasEarMay 2, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are a fan of intense, violent gore films, with a side order of comedy, this is for you. As a fan of the original series, I was both excited and skeptical, but was immensely pleased when I left the theater. Both times. This film hits on so many levels, I had to make a check list. Tree rape-Check, Removal of ones own arm-Double Check, Jaw splitting via chainsaw-Check, Blood rain storm-Check. Seriously, what is there not to love? Expand
Scout_Man799May 1, 2013
Evil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead'sEvil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead's case, it works. Sam Raimi and Fede Alvarez wanted the remake to be what the original film was: gruesome, and very entertaining to watch. The remake is gruesome, and it is entertaining. If you want a movie that's a ton of fun and has great special effects, look no further than Evil Dead. Expand
RyuuzakiBjornMay 1, 2013
Truly shakes up horror films. Not particularly scary, but it'll keep you guessing till the end and is quite entertaining. There are even parts than make you wince, which is exactly what I expect to see in a horror film. There's a sprinklingTruly shakes up horror films. Not particularly scary, but it'll keep you guessing till the end and is quite entertaining. There are even parts than make you wince, which is exactly what I expect to see in a horror film. There's a sprinkling of homages to the original Evil Dead films, for the fans of the original and I have to say they're not in your face but noticeable. Definitely worth the ridiculous price for a cinema ticket! Expand
CastianApr 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie captures the gorefest in a masterful way, the plot is simple and the characters could've been smarter.
Still the movie, in my opinion, falls short thanks to the integration of the "Junky ass" character, a character that you learn to hate and wish it the worst, and still, after making everybody around her die, she survives at the end.
Lambo442Apr 29, 2013
A valiant effort as far as horror remakes go. It never feels like you're just watching a rehashed version of the original as there's a lot of elements in terms of character and plot that take things in a new direction. The characters were aA valiant effort as far as horror remakes go. It never feels like you're just watching a rehashed version of the original as there's a lot of elements in terms of character and plot that take things in a new direction. The characters were a little wooden and there were a few miss-placed sentimental moments but as a whole it captures the spirit of the original and I'm glad I paid to see it on the big screen. Definitely worth a watch Expand
kabilakingApr 29, 2013
I really had high hopes for this film after seeing the trailer I was thinking now this looks like a awesome horror movie. Seen the original and loved it so was hoping it was as good if not better than the original but boy was I wrong.I really had high hopes for this film after seeing the trailer I was thinking now this looks like a awesome horror movie. Seen the original and loved it so was hoping it was as good if not better than the original but boy was I wrong. Extremely slow movie for me and when it does start getting going its awful didnt once scare me in any way parts are where I actually laughed it was not the Evil Dead film I was expecting. Gore Effects are horrible like watching a whole tub of tomato catchup go everywhere just stupid. I was also hoping for more jumpy parts and suspense but it was obvious when things would happen and that was for me what a horror movie needs, the characters in the film were rubbish with average acting I cudnt get attached to the characters at all. Overall 2/10 my advice to you just like seen in other reviews is watch the original movie way better. Expand
toddisballinApr 28, 2013
Evil Dead was pretty awesome. It has flaws and they show. Regardless, it is the best horror movie since Sinister.

It was bloody and gory, and I jumped a few times in the theaters. Now, I have a few problems with the movie too. People

It was bloody and gory, and I jumped a few times in the theaters.

Now, I have a few problems with the movie too. People getting stabbed, arms cut off and all we get is a 10sec reaction from the characters and then it seems as if nothing happened. Whatever the girl having the withdraws name was, she was wiggin' out and we could easily see that she was no longer human, though the film still has the cast kept acting like she was okay throughout the entire movie. Damn, it was annoying, but it is a movie.

All in all, it was still pretty good.
haydensterlingApr 27, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To my way of thinking, the worst thing a horror film can be is boring. This movie, although produced by Raimi, Tapert, and Campbell, is sadly very boring. Some questions: why take a girl to detox in the middle of nowhere? What if crap goes wrong? It did go wrong. Why did the guy read the book for no real reason? It would have been nice to get some character development for him, like, he's an anthropology or archaeology student or something and can't stop himself, but no. He just reads the book like a total idiot and then complains about it for the rest of the film.

The only real fun I had was in looking for shoutouts to the original films; Mia jamming that chainsaw over her stump was a good one and I applauded that. I thought the score was intrusive and not very good, i thought the story was actually much sillier than the original in that the motivation to go to the cabin was bizarre to say the least--getting your sex and drugs on is a totally valid reason to hang in the woods and half the people I know who have cabins use them for this express purpose anyhow--and those iconic moments from the first film, like Shelley's dismemberment or Linda giggling like a freak or Cheryl slamming her head against that trapdoor.

Overall I thought it was pretty dumb and don't kid yourself, there WAS some CGI in there, particularly when the dude's girlfriend (see how I can't even remember their names?) has her other arm sawed off or whatever in the living room and she's pouring blood all over the floor--CGI big time right there.
PreWarpApr 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you love gore and a semi-suspenseful movie, then you will love this film. No real cliff hangers in the film but by the end I felt like I needed a shower to get the blood off. Expand
justapayneApr 26, 2013
Revolutionary you say?
no its not.
One hell of a gory good time you say?
Then F*CK yeah!
So in short if you love gore and you love to get the sh*t creeped out of you watch this you will have a blast
DovahKittehApr 26, 2013
i find this movie amazing. i think my friends and i enjoyed it much more after watching the entire trilogy before hand, so i recommend you do that before hand. i also recommend staying till after the credits ;3.
Demon_ShinigamiApr 26, 2013
I had really low expectations when going to see this, but was really surprised. It brings some of the original ideas and puts a more serious tone which surprisingly works alongside the fact there is no CGI. Also stay after the credits for aI had really low expectations when going to see this, but was really surprised. It brings some of the original ideas and puts a more serious tone which surprisingly works alongside the fact there is no CGI. Also stay after the credits for a nice surprise. Expand
OneSamTwoCupsApr 26, 2013
"Evil Dead" definitely does not set any landmarks, but it can be considered one of the good remakes, along with "Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)" and "The Hills Have Eyes". Having a very unheard of cast, "Evil Dead" is a remake of the cult"Evil Dead" definitely does not set any landmarks, but it can be considered one of the good remakes, along with "Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)" and "The Hills Have Eyes". Having a very unheard of cast, "Evil Dead" is a remake of the cult classic. If you were a huge fan of the original, definitely check it out. If you had no interest in the original and don't have any for this, this film is definitely not for you. Expand
AdeoApr 25, 2013
ok i like this movie it has, blood, scary jumps, great use of lights and realistic, but like the majority of the viewers all we want is to see something from the past movies yes they had the chainsaw, the rusty old car that i think it was Ashok i like this movie it has, blood, scary jumps, great use of lights and realistic, but like the majority of the viewers all we want is to see something from the past movies yes they had the chainsaw, the rusty old car that i think it was Ash car but i remember that the car also time travel with him but well i s a good movie i really hate the actors in the new horror movies they are all the same cute girls and cute boys when are we going to see a realistic actors? good movie i recommend it Expand
Longbottom94Apr 25, 2013
It does what all good remakes should do. Fede Alvarez focuses on create a film that he wanted to make, creating a style and experience that is unique to itself. But also adds references to please the fans of the original. However marks mustIt does what all good remakes should do. Fede Alvarez focuses on create a film that he wanted to make, creating a style and experience that is unique to itself. But also adds references to please the fans of the original. However marks must be dropped for not being able to scare me once. Expand
Megacon89Apr 24, 2013
Evil Dead is the remake/reboot of the Critically acclaimed 1981 classic The Evil Dead. It is written and directed by Fade Alvarez, who is relatively new to the directing scene. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell from the original The Evil Dead alsoEvil Dead is the remake/reboot of the Critically acclaimed 1981 classic The Evil Dead. It is written and directed by Fade Alvarez, who is relatively new to the directing scene. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell from the original The Evil Dead also return as producers.
The film follows a group of 5 friends who head to a remote cabin to try and one of the friends Mia,shake her drug addiction. Whilst this is happening another one of the friends finds the “Naturom Demonto” The Book of the Dead, which unleashes demons that live in the nearby wood. The demon possess Mia and then starts pocessing the friends one by one and they’re all left fighting for survival. Overall it’s a really good story and really engaging.
The acting is also good, Jane Levy does a great job as the lead female role and really holds her own playing Mia. Shiloh Fernandez also does a great job as lead male role, he plays David, Mia’s older brother, he also does a great job. They also both do a great job in the way of portraying brother and sister, I really felt like these to people could be brother and sister.
The effects for the film are extremely good, Alvarez also said before they started shooting the film that he would not be using CGI effects apart from touch ups, which ment the film would rely on practical effects. This still holds true, it’s still basically all practical effects apart form a few scenes which require CGI because they wouldn’t be able to do them without. All the practical effects look great and look scarily realistic, which is what you need in a good horror movie.
Overall Evil Dead is an extremely good movie, a good horror movie and a damn fine remake that’s able to stand on it’s own two feet, it’s definitely one of the better remakes in recent years and to be able to almost best the original film it’s based on (In my Opinion) is no easy feet.
shwanziApr 23, 2013
You can read my review of the supremely gory remake of Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/evil-dead-2013.html
TTWRApr 22, 2013
This was an awesome movie. I personally think this was a little better than the original in the 80s. This an example of what good scary movies are. 10/10.
hrodwulfmxApr 22, 2013
Impressive 'reboot'. Pays a little homage to the original to when it's due, but includes its own spin. Gore? Check. Laughs? Check. Sinister? Check. Spooky sounds? Check. Awesome soundtrack? Check.
Only the mythology seemed a little
Only the mythology seemed a little contradictory at times, but overall an awesome reboot for the series. Really looking forward to seeing it again!
CodemattApr 22, 2013
The remake of the 1981 Classic the Evil dead Features more gore and Disgusting Atmosphere that i loved from the old one just with more of the gore. The move was cut out when it was in devolplment becuase of it rating of X it was cut downThe remake of the 1981 Classic the Evil dead Features more gore and Disgusting Atmosphere that i loved from the old one just with more of the gore. The move was cut out when it was in devolplment becuase of it rating of X it was cut down to a Rated R meaning the DVD verison will give alot more. I think this move was too quick this why im giving it a 9 Expand
ValKilmerRocksApr 21, 2013
I write screenplays as a hobby. That really means NOTHING when reviewing this movie. All I want to say is that I wish I could get the last 1 1/2 of my life and my $6 back. What a terrible, pointless, unenjoyable piece of poop.I write screenplays as a hobby. That really means NOTHING when reviewing this movie. All I want to say is that I wish I could get the last 1 1/2 of my life and my $6 back. What a terrible, pointless, unenjoyable piece of poop. REALLY??????????
DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
CybergambazaoApr 21, 2013
Filme ficou bom, deu para ver que os diretores tentaram fazer um bom remake, um ponto bem positivo foi em questão da maquiagem, e um ponto negativo foi o final, não que ficou um ruim mas poderia ser melhor, e para quem viu o ate os creditosFilme ficou bom, deu para ver que os diretores tentaram fazer um bom remake, um ponto bem positivo foi em questão da maquiagem, e um ponto negativo foi o final, não que ficou um ruim mas poderia ser melhor, e para quem viu o ate os creditos deu brecha para uma sequencia. Expand
jatv1994Apr 20, 2013
Few directors can control your emotions like Evil Dead does; Fede Alvarez crafts perfectly one of the best modern horror movies of the decade; sure, the original Evil Dead is better, but this remake makes you squirm in your seat and is anFew directors can control your emotions like Evil Dead does; Fede Alvarez crafts perfectly one of the best modern horror movies of the decade; sure, the original Evil Dead is better, but this remake makes you squirm in your seat and is an utterly assault on the senses. Astonishing. Expand
DocShocker2099Apr 18, 2013
As a life long horror fan, the original Evil Dead series carry some of the highest marks, it was gory, funny, and spawned one of the most notable cult heroes in the history of cinema, Ash. As I am with all news of remakes/re-images/ what haveAs a life long horror fan, the original Evil Dead series carry some of the highest marks, it was gory, funny, and spawned one of the most notable cult heroes in the history of cinema, Ash. As I am with all news of remakes/re-images/ what have you, I take it with a more then a grain of salt. In certain instances, I've been pleasantly surprised, Rob Zombies Halloween films, and the 2003 remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I believe, are two fine examples of a remake done well. In opposition to this you have remakes like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm street, and introducing the newest member of this prestigious list, the 2013 remake of the Evil Dead.

Cinematically it was filmed well. Dark, moody, and complimented the horror vibe. But ultimately that was all that it had going for it. The characters, for lack of a better term, were boring, and did little to stir any sort of feelings towards them, the high marks going to Jane Levy, however, for at least leaving a good enough impression that I remembered her characters name, even after leaving the theater, Mia, for those who care. The films plot stayed true to form, but was implemented poorly. The films story, beyond the plot, played out more like a piece of amateur retcon fan fiction, then the sort of thing a group of producers would throw a reported $14 million dollars to make. The set up of the film made sense, but the initiation of the films supernatural element was forced, almost as though the writing staff didn't know what else to do, and things didn't improve from there. The amount of violence and gore after this point is relentless, so much so that it become boring, and blurs together, no counter points to build suspense from, and probably saddest of all, no humor. Which is possibly the single biggest disappointment to me, personally. For a series that fits so snugly into the "Horror comedy" genre, by it own admittance. The re-image is unremarkable, bland, and tragically forgettable.

The Quick and Dirty Review

Pro's
Dark Moody Imagery
Solid Performance from Jane Levy
Appropriate run time (90 minutes +/-)
Solid Visual effects

Cons
Bland characters
Sloppy Pacing
Fan Fiction level story
Lack of humor

The Verdict:
Unless you a have a free movie pass, wait for this to land on a streaming service, or in a discount bin. Would have been a mediocre standalone, but made for a poor remake.
MigratedwolfApr 18, 2013
I enjoyed this movie, having never seen the origin it didn't hold much significance to me, so my expectations were relatively low. It is one of those horror movies, not so much psychological, but the demented, cringe worthy gore fest ones. IfI enjoyed this movie, having never seen the origin it didn't hold much significance to me, so my expectations were relatively low. It is one of those horror movies, not so much psychological, but the demented, cringe worthy gore fest ones. If you see this with some friends you'll have a good laugh guaranteed, and if you see it with your girl, there will be plenty of squealing and hiding. Not great, but not terrible, acting was decent, and the setting was great. Much better than cabin in the woods. Expand
foxgroveApr 18, 2013
This remake of the original Sam Raimi film does what one expects of a horror film. It is suspenseful, full of atmosphere and foreboding, and bloody, very bloody. It is also totally entertaining without the slow patches that more po facedThis remake of the original Sam Raimi film does what one expects of a horror film. It is suspenseful, full of atmosphere and foreboding, and bloody, very bloody. It is also totally entertaining without the slow patches that more po faced critically acclaimed films often suffer from. Good horror films these days are also full of great production values and this one is no exception. It has brilliant visuals, not only in the effects and make up but in the superb lighting of it's cinematography. The insistent music score is also amazing and the sound design adds immeasurably to the scare quotient. Sure, there are a couple of unintentional laughs involving severed arms, but in reality this just adds to the fun and relieves some tension. Overall this can stand up and be counted as a great example of its genre. Sam Raimi, one hopes, would approve. Expand