4.8

1. JonK.
    Mar 6, 2007
    Viewing this movie, you are immediately aware of the low budget via the poor lighting, acting, editing, etc. However, I have to give it credit in that it did a good job on a very limited budget. The story itself, while predictable, is fairly entertaining if you set aside the ridiculous plot and reality. One item that stands out for me is when the coach gets a new car and he claims "God Viewing this movie, you are immediately aware of the low budget via the poor lighting, acting, editing, etc. However, I have to give it credit in that it did a good job on a very limited budget. The story itself, while predictable, is fairly entertaining if you set aside the ridiculous plot and reality. One item that stands out for me is when the coach gets a new car and he claims "God gave me a new car!" I guess we shouldn't think about the fact that it's a polluting and gas-guzzling V-8. Clearly, the movie is looking to cater to a particular audience. I also have problems with the idea of God really caring about a small town high-school football game outcome - any sporting event for that matter. Also, the overall impression that if you pray hard enough, your dreams will come true. Tell that to parents who have lost a child to cancer, war or an accident. It's religious propaganda. And no, our founding fathers would not be proud, they believed in separation of church and state. Expand
  2. BrianF
    Oct 24, 2006
    A very unimpressive tale, cloaked in trying to squeeze money from a religion.

1. Reviewed by: William Lobdell
    Facing the Giants, which despite its flaws is ultimately a sweet, sincere movie about Christian faith.
  2. Like too many films of faith, it mixes its message, proclaiming that a life given over to God is a reward unto itself, and then handing over victories to its faithful like some overtime bonus.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    For those who felt insufficiently uplifted by "Invincible" and "Gridiron Gang," here comes Facing the Giants, an aggressively inspirational drama about a born-again high school football coach.