6.8

1. Sep 24, 2011
    The movie is overall bearable to stand for itself, but the Johnson action and a understandable morale of redemption makes the movie worth to watch.
  2. Nov 26, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Contortionist Formerly Known as The Rock, the former WWF wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne Johnson, hasn't starred in a violent actioneer such as "Faster" since "Walking Tall", the 2004 remake of the 1973 Phil Karson-directed original, choosing instead to appear in star vehicles calculated to soften his image as a bad-ass. And even then, Johnson stayed away from guns; his character, Chris Vaughn, a former U.S. soldier, carried around a 4 X 4 slab of wood to settle his conflicts. The plan worked; he's not Jean-Claude Van Damme, who(like Johnson) started off in the athletic arena(kickboxing), but soon experienced a wane in popularity, partly because he couldn't act, even though that never stopped an Austrian-born bodybuilder from superstardom and the governorship of California. Both Johnson and Arnold Schwarzenegger were smart enough to ham it up, deconstructing their machismo by emasculating themselves in kid-friendly projects such as "The Game Plan" and "Kindergarten Cop", while Van Damme and Steven Segall kept making the same mirthless movie over and over again, ad nauseam. While neither man are particularly gifted as comic actors, in which the laughter they generate largely stems from the incongruity between their body type and feminine actions(for Ahh-nold, think "Twins"), they have enough charisma to make you THINK they're funny. Actually, that's no small feat. Remember Vin Diesel in "The Pacifier"? Would Van Damme, given the opportunity to star in a game-changing film like "The Tooth Fairy", add or detract from the spectacle of being costumed in a pink tutu and tights? Probably detract, so give Johnson his due; he pulls off the tooth fairy get-up with only a minimal amount of creepiness. Now, after capturing the hearts and minds of children, and more importantly, their moms(even going so far as doing a cameo in Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married Too?"), Johnson puts down the wand and picks up a gun and kills people for the first time in a long time. It's time to bring the men back into his fold. Playing an ex-con named Driver, The Contortionist Formerly Known as The Rock goes on a bloody rampage, killing the people responsible for murdering his brother after a successful robbery. Rest assured, the people he shoots in the forehead deserves their bloody comeuppance. Johnson isn't going to put his screen image at risk by killing the innocent, although it's open for debate as to who had it coming and who is worthy of a pardon. After all, ten years is a long time. People can change, not all people, mind you, like the second name on Driver's list, a rapist who preys on young women, a person in which nobody mourns when he ends up on the receiving end of some vigilante justice. It's the third and fourth names that prove to be more complicated. Echoing Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill: Volume One", the stripclub owner, the black man who pulled the trigger on the dead man in the urn, has a child, a college-aged son, just as "Copperhead"(Vivica A. Fox) had a child, a young daughter, in which some may argue, is enough reason for the assassin to ply some compassion. But being a parent isn't enough redemption for either Driver or "The Bride"(Uma Thurman) to call the whole thing off, and spare their respective targets' lives. The preacher, however, is given a reprieve. In a flashback, we see that the man of God tried to stop the slaying, therefore making Driver's decision to forgive and forget all the more easier. But what if the preacher was the trigger-man? That would be a real test of compassion on Driver's part. Providing the killer with a real dilemma might have put "Faster" over the top. If Driver offed the man of God, then moviegoers would really have something to talk about. Just because you're born again, and God has forgiven all your sins, does the man who stands over you with the power of God in his hands have to do so, likewise? For once, wouldn't it be nice to see something truly transgressive in a studio film? "Faster" is not "Death Wish", but for all the wrong reasons. As a hypothetical, "The Bride" would do a preacher, and that's because her creator thinks like an artist, not a marketer. Expand
  3. May 17, 2015
    Big Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson fan here, overall this movie was pretty decent. Enough action to satisfy the action gurus out there, The Rock was pretty good as well though he maybe had like 10 lines of dialogue in the entire movie. I'd call this a good call given that his most dramatic scenes aren't believable. Making up for his silence are the creatively named Cop and Killer who bothBig Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson fan here, overall this movie was pretty decent. Enough action to satisfy the action gurus out there, The Rock was pretty good as well though he maybe had like 10 lines of dialogue in the entire movie. I'd call this a good call given that his most dramatic scenes aren't believable. Making up for his silence are the creatively named Cop and Killer who both explore relationships and contemplate the bookends of careers. The story is simple and straight to the point, a man out looking for revenge on those who double crossed him and murdered his brother. Though it could have been alot better, i guess you could still take it as it is. Expand
  4. Mar 23, 2011
    starts off kinda intresting with some decent action but plotwise and charicter develpment really dont go much of any where and by the last 30 min i started loosing intrest in it . even the big plot twist near the end did nothing for me . just a mediocore film .
  5. Feb 19, 2011
    faster is starring dwayne johnson.. he is really muscular macho man. the story is weak. the screenplay is ok. direction is a failure. editing is sharp. prodcution values are wasted. just a shoot out with 4-5 gun fires and 2-3 stabbings. dull flick with some hunch dialogs. forget the movie. its very weak.
  6. Feb 19, 2011
    It's not terrible, but it's all been done before. The movie starts out promising, but becomes overly convoluted by the end. I also still can't figure out what the point was of the extra story line with the millionaire hit man other than to fill up screen time. A few cool scenes, but not really worth your time.
  7. Dec 15, 2010
    This is easily the worst film I've seen all year. None of the characters are interesting. The performances are all poor, save for the female cop who is decent at best. The plot is basic and uninteresting. The action and driving sequences are nonexistent. This is NOT an action movie, let me clear that up now. It's a boring thriller and a lousy drama. Another thing that bugged me is thatThis is easily the worst film I've seen all year. None of the characters are interesting. The performances are all poor, save for the female cop who is decent at best. The plot is basic and uninteresting. The action and driving sequences are nonexistent. This is NOT an action movie, let me clear that up now. It's a boring thriller and a lousy drama. Another thing that bugged me is that this film tests your suspension of disbelief to its limits. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this film has scenes where you say "No way in hell could that possibly happen", and this lack of adherence to the laws of the universe comes across as just plain lazy.

All in all, this movie plain sucked.
  8. Mar 12, 2011
    There are certain people you do not piss off in action films: Black Mamba from Kill Bill, Nicolas Cage in everything, Clint Eastwood in most things, and more recently, Machete. I did not include the Rock on this list because I think it would be intuitive for anyone to not kill the Rock's brother. Just do not do it. It is bad for business and it will not end well for anyone. If youThere are certain people you do not piss off in action films: Black Mamba from Kill Bill, Nicolas Cage in everything, Clint Eastwood in most things, and more recently, Machete. I did not include the Rock on this list because I think it would be intuitive for anyone to not kill the Rock's brother. Just do not do it. It is bad for business and it will not end well for anyone. If you kill the Rock's brother, he will remember that and put your name on a list. I started this movie with a preconception; it was going to suck. It doesn't. This action movie has some soul in it. Its characters have back stories and they are presented in more than a single dimension. Unfortunately, it plays a bit dumb at parts and feels like it must help its audience along. Characters are introduced with a title such as "Cop" and "Killer". I don't think these are needed, even for people who would choose to see this movie in the theater. It's also not good enough to stay away from the cliches. The cop is naturally 10 days away from retirement, the Rock cannot just turn around in a vehicle, he must squeal out of everywhere in at least a 270 degree turn of smoke, and the idiotic dialogue includes such gems as, "I have a hunch," "Well, so did Quasimodo and look where it got him." The Rock in this movie reminds me a lot of Machete from last year. If Machete 'don't text', then the Rock doesn't look both ways before he crosses the street; he just assumes cars will slam on the brakes and let him go. He is on a mission. He has one thing to do and he just goes out and does it. Bravo on the initiative. He also has tattoos on his forearms that only underworld gangsters and body builders can recognize. The casting sticks out. Tom Berenger shows up very briefly; is he mad because he didn't get included in the fourth iteration of the Sniper series? Mike Epps shows up as well. The script is good, but do you really need to cast the minor characters as well known as these guys? It's a distraction (remember Ted Danson in Saving Private Ryan). Also, a good, but unorthodox, inclusion is the 'Killer'. This is guy is Johnny Cage with a serious inferiority complex and says quips like, "I'm done with yoga, I beat it." The ringtone on his contract killer cellphone is the theme song from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. That is not the only Clint Eastwood rip-off. Remember the end of A Fistfull of Dollars? *smacks forehead*

Take aways: To the Rock, do more movies like this and stay away from crap like the Tooth Fairy and you will be ok. To everyone else, do NOT kill the Rock's brother.
  9. Sep 8, 2013
    Faster is an interesting piece indeed, it has the rumblings of a B movie with its non-stop destruction and hell bent on revenge, but on the other hand we have some sublime performances from various avenues of the screen, coming together in this mash-up of films from the past, it has hints of noir, but is ultimately a one-trick path of vengeance that is devoid of anything other thanFaster is an interesting piece indeed, it has the rumblings of a B movie with its non-stop destruction and hell bent on revenge, but on the other hand we have some sublime performances from various avenues of the screen, coming together in this mash-up of films from the past, it has hints of noir, but is ultimately a one-trick path of vengeance that is devoid of anything other than cold-blooded murder and scowling faces. We have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in a role that most suits him, he has definitely showed diversity, sometimes perhaps too much, but there is just something different with this character, he plays a convict who we simply know as "Driver" a broken and quiet man on a mission as soon as he gets released, he paces frantically from the prison where he climbs into an empty car waiting for him, he climbs in without a word and speeds off to an office space, where he shoots a man in the head and leaves, it's as simple but as brutal as that, he is a one man wrecking crew, but with good reason it seems. He is on a path to kill those who killed his brother in the most brutal of circumstances, and on his tail is "Cop" played by Billy Bob Thornton, this cop is close to retirement, but has a drug problem and a broken down marriage with a son involved, but is more involved than first glances would suggest. Also along the way is a hired "Killer" (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) who is an impressive specimen and a man who has done it all, consistently looking for challenges to save himself from boredom, he has a past that we learn through pictures he gazes at, a past that he may be trying his best to forget. He finds happiness with his girlfriend Lily (Maggie Grace) who questions his job choices but is ultimately committed to him. While Faster offers up some interesting characters, it isn't developed enough for it to properly stretch out, it could have properly developed its backstory which could have benefited an often closed and passing explanation for this mans actions, it therefore becomes a simple shoot and run with a few moments that show quality filmmaking, but not consistent. The performances alone keeping the film moving at a raging pace, with The Rock showing depth to character and proving he isn't all black and white. The film throws up some interesting twists and unexpected developments, they make it a satisfying film to enjoy, but don't offer much in terms of thought or drama, it is an adrenaline and testosterone-fuelled rampage that is is perfect for sitting down to relax, with a few starring performances worth applauding. Expand
  10. Nov 11, 2013
    "Faster" is one of those movies that does not have a clear good or bad guy and overall does not bring out the goods. The cinematography was great, though, and has some thrilling scenes. I wouldn't say that this film would be a recommendation, but if you're interested, it's worth a try.
  11. Feb 3, 2015
    This film is a sentimental action movie. If you think the two words "sentimental" and "action" are opposite, well, you are, at least from a semantic point of view, quite right. In other terms, it looks like an action movie written by female bad psychologists and it left me with a strange impression that the film is an experiment. I cannot say it is bad, but I cannot say it is good either,This film is a sentimental action movie. If you think the two words "sentimental" and "action" are opposite, well, you are, at least from a semantic point of view, quite right. In other terms, it looks like an action movie written by female bad psychologists and it left me with a strange impression that the film is an experiment. I cannot say it is bad, but I cannot say it is good either, as good and bad parts are way to interwoven to clearly distinguish them from each other. Anyway, there is good action. But the motives, while they could be reasonable on the paper, are played in such a cheesy way that you have to ask if this is a joke. To be more precise, the main character wants to revenge the death of his brother who also happens to be his best friend forever. The problem is that the "hero", who is very strong and most of the time has this very serious and focused look on his face, becomes all whiny or joyful or sad or whatever emotional face you would expect from a little girl when he faces or thinks about his best friend. This is quite disturbing for me, because it looks like the two brothers actually were in a homosexual relationship and this is not the sort of idea you would expect from an action movie, especially since later in the movie you see the guy's ex girlfriend and thus discard the homosexuality hypothesis. But the guy still has tearful eyes when he learns from her she got an abortion, apparently killing his fatherhood dreams. Or this cop who does drugs and smokes on the crime scene and then shows how much he cares about his fat young son that does not look like him nor his wife, but does look like a definite bullied kid. It is like the writers make fun of every single character, deliberately making sure nobody take them seriously (both the characters and the writers). Same with this hitman who was physically disabled as a child, then ran a software company, now is bored with yoga and et caetera, et caetera, he even gets married (seriously?), lots of cheap psychology that does not bring anything relevant to the story but, on the contrary, dilutes it. So I give the film a score of 6 because there are several good sequences and even when this movie is ridiculous, it is still entertaining. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Dec 13, 2010
    Faster is meat-and-potatoes action with a side of crazy.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Ramos
    Dec 13, 2010
    Watching Driver peel rubber proves B grade action movies are a welcome diversion in the era of CGI blockbusters. If only Faster didn't fizzle each time Johnson put down his gun.
  3. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Dec 13, 2010
    The film never outshines its influences, but as back-to-basics action filmmaking, it's often superb.