7.5

1. Nov 4, 2010
    A very good, gritty, realistic drama, some great acting on show here from the main star (Katie Jarvis), a vivid insight into the lives of young people living in certain areas of Britain today.
  2. May 17, 2011
    The British film Fish Tank is a rare movie-going experience, in that we the viewer move from simple voyeurs to the feeling that we are participating in the story to, finally, the feeling that we are the main character, somehow trapped in the same existence and the same feelings of hopelessness and despair that permeate her life. The her I refer to is Mia (Katie Jarvis), a 15 year old teen living a pretty lousy life in Essex with her little sister Tyler (Rebecca Griffiths) and her single, party-going mother (Kierston Wareing). The three of them co-exist in a flat that is always dirty and they speak to each other with no hint that they are a family â Expand
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is a three reasons that this film apparently works. 1) It is completely unexpected, such as Mia bumping uglies with Connor, little Tyler literally swearing and giving herself health problems when we see her and her friend smoking and drinking, or when Connor's little daughter falling into the river and or ten seconds, all that Mia can do is look in horror how she'll survive the icy water. 2) Katie Jarvis. That **** can definitely act for sure, it almost looks like that Mia isn't a character, but rather Katie Jarvis' persona. 3) Michael Fassbender. Around this period of his life, he really was blossoming into his acting, after proving he is very good in Hunger, that it's scary. Plus, he is so good-looking and sexual, that he sizzles to Mia to the point where he has sex with her. Plus, with this particular scene, it proves that Michael Fassbender will do anything to get particularly noticed by the big awards, like Oscars, Golden Globes, etc, even if it means that he has to have sex with a girl half his age (Fish Tank), show off his genitalia and anus (Hunger), get a silly mustache (A Dangerous Method), or even have sex with a hundred girls and his character's sister (Shame), or so I've heard. Expand
  4. Aug 3, 2013
    I love this movie. Watching these slummy British people living their lives is so real it's devastating. It's also bitingly funny, naturally tender, and sometimes exhilarating.

1. Reviewed by: Philip Wilding
    A vivid portrayal of life at society's margins with a compelling turn from newcomer Jarvis. Little wonder it scored at Cannes.
  2. Arnold's first feature, "Red Road" (2006), centers on another outsider, a woman who monitors security cameras. The film is formally brilliant, but it doesn't have the breathtaking openness of Fish Tank.
  3. The film belongs to Jarvis, however, and she makes the most of it with expressive features that convey Mia's mixed-up emotions from raging temper to sweet vulnerability. She will go far.