7.6

1. Apr 15, 2013
    I was already a vegetarian for 4 months before watching this movie, not because of the health reasons, but because I started to become aware of the great suffering endured by the animals that we rear and massacre as if slaves. We pretend that they are lesser beings, incapable of human emotions, and ignore the realities of the industry. That said, this movie made me become vegan. I am loving the new way of life I have now, which consists of learning and discovering how to eat close to the ground, and avoid all animal products. This movie really sheds light on the health reasons why ditching animal products is the way to go. Most people would revolt at the idea of giving up animal based foods because it is so ingrained in western culture and diet. Once you wade through that feeling, you'll begin to realize that, if you live in America, there is no need to eat animals. If you live somewhere where that is your only food source, then it is acceptable as it is necessary. Anyway, watch this movie. A friend recommended it to my fiance, and she recommended it to me. Now I am showing my brother. This movie could save your life. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2013
    I am 60 years old and started the Forks over Knives program 2 months ago to the day. I have lost 20 lbs. and have stayed full in the process. I have never been a vegetable lover, but the wonderful recipes have changed that. The meals are very satisfying and fun to prepare. Taking care of myself has become a great new hobby for me. I got started by watching one of the many free Forks over Knives videos. The only money that I spent was for one of the recipe book at a local book store. Great for anyone serious about their health and weight. Expand
  3. Dec 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. The people in the movie all achieve some big health improvements, like lowering their blood pressure, lowering their cholesterol, and managing their diabetes without medication. Which is all the result of losing a lot of weight, every single person in it loses between 20 and 100 pounds.

They lose the weight through exercise such as biking, jogging, weight lifting. And from changing their diet to eat foods that are more filling and contain fewer calories, like vegetables and soup.

But the movie misses those important facts because it is so focused on convincing you that meat and animal products are bad, and that vegetarianism is the only answer. It even has a scene near the end that takes place at a farm for abused animals to try and convince you not to eat them, or drink their milk.

Almost every graph and study used is twisted to support their vegan propaganda. Take the country occupied by the nazis for example, before and after the war the people there had high rates of death from heart attacks and cancer. During the war those rates drop significantly. The movie would have you believe the nazis took all of their meat products, and that is the major cause. But the nazis also took the people's grains and vegetables and every other food source they could. The people living there would have had a very low calorie diet during occupation, and would have lost a lot of weight.

They also make the ridiculous claim that milk causes cancer, because they fed their lab rats milk protein and that gave every one of them cancer. By that logic, wouldn't chocolate be poisonous to humans? It is poisonous to dogs after all.

The real enemy in our diets is calorie dense foods that don't fill us up, like rice and pasta. Or drinks that use a lot of sugar or corn syrup to achieve their sweetness. If you stopped consuming that, and ate more vegetables with leaner meats like chicken, turkey, or salmon. You would achieve even better results than the people in the movie.
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    I eat pretty much the opposite of what this documentary says to eat, but all the studies and testimonials make me want to flip a switch. I'm 36. I weigh 278 at 6'5". My cholesterol is high, and I'm afraid to have it checked. I feel old and tired. I eat canned veggies pretty often, but I am not adventurous at all, so this is going to be a gradual process of trying new things and phasing old things out. I have now read dozens of testimonials from people just like me who tried this system and have had their lives turned around. The studies are great, and this documentary covers all of my questions and concerns about the science of eating less meat and dairy. Like I said though... It will take a while for me to phase out my finickiness of vegetables. My wife is the same way, so I'm not remotely sure she'll be on board. Worst case scenario? We find a few more veggies we like... Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    May 20, 2011
    A middling documentary but a magnificent indictment.
  2. Reviewed by: Sean O Connell
    May 19, 2011
    Forks is a plate of vegetables. It's high on nutritional value but absent any pleasure.
  3. Reviewed by: Loren King
    May 19, 2011
    The film delivers a concise history of Western eating habits, with graphs and charts punctuated by entertaining real-life experiences.