Paramount Pictures | Release Date: July 6, 1994
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 1064 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SEROJJun 2, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is really meaningful! It has all the american history of 20th century in it! For me it was more comedy. But trust me, "Forrest Gump" could be a lot better! Why that girl broke up with him 4 times? Why during his speech about the war in Vietnam, some guy plugged out the cables? I thought he realized something and was going to say a great speech, when he turned around after he ran million miles! And my biggest question is why this movie has won 6 oscars? I think it's a good movie, but i really believe it's overrated and if you're wondering to watch it or not, let me warn you. This movie is philosophical! "Forrest Gump" is really smart movie, but my personal score is 5/10, because i wasn't impressed from what i saw. Expand
ScraperDec 25, 2011
Wouldn't it have been better if Forrest had been shot to death in Vietnam? Too many good things happen to this righteous character. For those of us cynical and in need of any intensity, it's too hard on the brain to see this nitwit who youWouldn't it have been better if Forrest had been shot to death in Vietnam? Too many good things happen to this righteous character. For those of us cynical and in need of any intensity, it's too hard on the brain to see this nitwit who you know nothing bad is going to happen to him, just the way more interesting characters around him. Expand
dkg822Aug 5, 2015
‘Forrest Gump’ is a strange movie as the movie itself underwhelmed me, however, the performance of Tom Hanks as the protagonist ‘Forrest Gump’ overwhelmed me. Seriously hyped and known to be one of the finest movies ever made, ‘Forrest Gump’‘Forrest Gump’ is a strange movie as the movie itself underwhelmed me, however, the performance of Tom Hanks as the protagonist ‘Forrest Gump’ overwhelmed me. Seriously hyped and known to be one of the finest movies ever made, ‘Forrest Gump’ certainly failed to create that big an impact on me. I felt that the movie, at best, was a sentimental fantasy of a very likable protagonist. The movie was far from perfect for me. The major flaw for me was that it was the movie was largely predictable and over sentimental at times. Some of the dialogue was so predictable that I cringed every time I got to hear it. Some of the moments in the movie are supposed to be ‘magical’ and direction makes sure they really do seem over dramatic which also kind of bothered me. As likable as the protagonist was, at times, ‘Gump’ himself felt rather invincible which made me worry a little less about him as a character. The other problem with the movie was that it was way too long and disengaged during several parts of it run time. This is also because at times the movie seemed a bit repetitive. Barring these problems, the movie works because of its performance ‘Tom Hanks’ that stands over the movie’s flaws and the movies occasional moments of genuine emotion shared between Hank’s and Wright’s character. In fact, the movie, for me, would have benefitted way more if it had focused more on the love story between its 2 central characters and focused more on Gump’s relationship with his mother. However, I still was amused by the occasional eccentric and funny dialogue delivered to perfection by Hanks and him chemistry with his mom and love. ‘Field’ as ‘Mrs. Gump’ is endearing and loving in a limited role and shares great moments with ‘Forrest Gump’. ‘Sinise’ is good and makes an impact as ‘Dan’ but his relationship with ‘Gump’ did not strike me emotionally too much. He did, however, add the occasional humor and I did sympathize with his condition at times. ‘Wright’ is perfectly cast as ‘Jenny’ and evokes all types of emotions perfectly. I felt bad for her, hated her at times, did not understand her and ultimately adored her because she made a rather weak character very strong through her acting. Ultimately, however, it is ‘Tom Hanks’ as ‘Forrest Gump’ who actually kept me invested in the movie throughout. I felt that it was one of the best performances I have seen by any actor in a long time and one that really rose above all the flaws of the movie and really overwhelmed me. ‘Hank’ perfectly plays ‘Gump’ in a way that he absolutely becomes the character and truly deserved the Oscar for it.
Overall, ‘Forrest Gump’ is ‘Tom Hank’s’ triumph as an actor because he truly keeps an ordinary film going. I was clearly underwhelmed by the movie because of its duration, over sentimentality and predictability, however, would still recommend it for its magnificent performances and genuine likability.
YorkManMay 19, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ah, a look back over 30 years of American history through the eyes of a somewhat retarded individual is so overtly romanticised and with so much 'apple pie' about it, that I've never understood why it's regarded as some kind of masterpiece.

The entire movie is just one unbelievable set-piece followed by another, as we watch young Forrest grow into adulthood, attend college, fight in Vietnam, become a world class ping-pong player, create THE dominant shrimp catching business in the US, become an international news story (in of himself) as he spends 3 years running back and forth across America, before he finally gets to marry the love of his life.... Before she dies of AIDS and dumps her kid (Forrest's son, who she kept away from him right up until she knew she was dying) in his lap and just expects him to carry on his life.

Therein lies the film's biggest problems.... For all that is good, in how it uses Forrest's life experiences to form a narrative that includes a large number of important cultural moments in American history through the early 1950's to the early 1980's, there is a something fundamentally bad.
In order for the film to work you have to believe that Forrest can merrily walk through life, getting involved in all the major incidents around him, and not query how on Earth it would ever happen.
I just couldn't do that, so watched the film more as a parody, than a drama.

The other fundamental problem with the film and, as an audience, one we just have to accept.... Is that Forrest is in love with a woman who is incredibly self-centred and borderline sociopathic. All the way through the film she just treats Forrest like crap, and although she eventually gets her own comeuppance (dying of AIDS in her late 30's) it doesn't make up for everything she did to Forrest.... Plus, as mentioned, her dying act is to foist a small child on him, a child that will remind him every day about the woman he lost (well, never really had.... But whom he loved!!)

The only good part of the film is the soundtrack... It is crammed with excellent songs from the 50's through to the early 80's, the 'Vietnam' era part having (obviously) the best.

I suspect my aversion to the movie could well be because I'm English, so I'm a spectator watching the game, rather than someone living in America who might latch onto the sentimentality a little more easily!

Ultimately this is a film which has good intentions, but is so utterly unbelievable that I couldn't get involved on any level.