7.1

1. Dec 29, 2014
    The movie unquestionably has an eerie haunting quality, but there is something lacking in the last third of the movie. Everything becomes slower and less interesting. Although the movie is decent, it feels kind of pointless.
  2. Dec 2, 2014
    Foxcatcher is a deliberately slow movie, but a good one. I think it's definitely the weakest of Bennett Miller's three movies though. Mark Ruffalo, Steve Carell and Channing Tatum all shine and the story is interesting, but the pace is very slow burn and when the climax does arrive, it feels a little unwarranted and lacks the massive emotional punch it should have had. Still, wouldn't beFoxcatcher is a deliberately slow movie, but a good one. I think it's definitely the weakest of Bennett Miller's three movies though. Mark Ruffalo, Steve Carell and Channing Tatum all shine and the story is interesting, but the pace is very slow burn and when the climax does arrive, it feels a little unwarranted and lacks the massive emotional punch it should have had. Still, wouldn't be surprised if all three and the director get nominated. Expand
  3. Jan 25, 2015
    What an awful lesson to learn. If a rich guy is so weird he's constantly making your uncomfortable, you're just going to have to forget about the money that you so badly need. It's unfortunate to realize there are so many mentally-Ill people among us, and we don't know when they'll snap. Wish the movie stuck closer to the real story, but it was still an impressive cast of good acting inWhat an awful lesson to learn. If a rich guy is so weird he's constantly making your uncomfortable, you're just going to have to forget about the money that you so badly need. It's unfortunate to realize there are so many mentally-Ill people among us, and we don't know when they'll snap. Wish the movie stuck closer to the real story, but it was still an impressive cast of good acting in this horrible story of a crazy person masquerading as a benevolent mentor. Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2015
    Believe me when I say that I seriously wanted to give this movie a higher rating, but I can't. Everything about this movie is good (the acting, story, direction).... but the pacing is way too f*cking slow. I love when the pace is slow but at some degree, and Foxcatcher's pace is way too much. Some parts were interesting, other parts were unfortunately boring. This film boasts a beautifullyBelieve me when I say that I seriously wanted to give this movie a higher rating, but I can't. Everything about this movie is good (the acting, story, direction).... but the pacing is way too f*cking slow. I love when the pace is slow but at some degree, and Foxcatcher's pace is way too much. Some parts were interesting, other parts were unfortunately boring. This film boasts a beautifully written screenplay, Steve Carell and Channing Tatum just shine in this movie and the directing is really quite good, but the pace is plodding. I bet there are some people that will enjoy it, but I just can't. I can't be involved in a movie that is heavily paced like "Foxcatcher". Not a bad movie, just a disappointing one. Expand
  5. Feb 8, 2015
    I’m just going to say it. Foxcatcher is a boring movie. It has terrific acting, an incredible story, and if you sit down with a bunch of psychologists to deduce everything that happened on screen, I’m sure you are going to have a lot to talk about, for they are going to give to the movie an incredible analysis that you would have never expected. But you are not going to do that. And theI’m just going to say it. Foxcatcher is a boring movie. It has terrific acting, an incredible story, and if you sit down with a bunch of psychologists to deduce everything that happened on screen, I’m sure you are going to have a lot to talk about, for they are going to give to the movie an incredible analysis that you would have never expected. But you are not going to do that. And the story is told in a very slow way, getting the movie to be extremely long. As I said, is an excellent story about a depressed rich man who never achieved anything in his life; and the ending is quite unexpected and incredible, but everything before it is all very slow and boring. Expand
  6. Dec 14, 2014
    It may be a bit too minimalist in nature for some, but underneath its eerily simplistic and quiet veneer lurks an explosive psychological war film with brilliantly nuanced performances and striking imagery.
  7. Dec 29, 2014
    Amazing performances do not a good movie make.

If you relish brilliant actors giving what may be their career defining performances - you should watch this movie.

If you don't love simply watching actors plying their trade well and instead wish to see a good movie - skip Foxcatcher because it's a mess.
  8. Jan 23, 2015
    If you want to see Steve Carell being a creepy **** then this is the movie for you. If you want to see wrestlers grapple and slap each other on the head and eat cake and smash mirrors and run through forests and observe the equine wildlife through binoculars and inhale cocaine and respect the bird wildlife and watch the history of the du pont family then this is the movie for you. If youIf you want to see Steve Carell being a creepy **** then this is the movie for you. If you want to see wrestlers grapple and slap each other on the head and eat cake and smash mirrors and run through forests and observe the equine wildlife through binoculars and inhale cocaine and respect the bird wildlife and watch the history of the du pont family then this is the movie for you. If you want to see channing tatum hit himself repeatedly then this is the movie for you.

For me it had to be Mark ruffalos neck beard that made this a must watch for me. Ruffalo's beard's performance was outstanding, it completely overshadowed Tatum's performance.

This movie gets a 9.734 out of ten for me but metacritic will only let me give whole number score so i give it 10. Congratulations ruffalo beard.
  9. Dec 27, 2014
    Foxcatcher is the most disturbing, creepy and most well acted movie I’ve seen all year. The three leads all give Oscar worthy performances including a career changing performance by Steve Carell.
  10. Nov 26, 2014
    Wow! 1st 15 minutes are slow, but it picks up to a crescendo. One of the best true movies that I have ever seen. Brilliant acting, very well done. I remember the tragedy, and I believe that the movie does not deviate very far from the total truth. Mesmerizing and gripping to say the least. Great film. Sure to be an Oscar contender.
  11. Jan 18, 2015
    Without a doubt it's Bennet Miller's finest work. The way he constructs the tension and dark side of the story is simply brilliant. The film excels in directing because it doesn't takes the easy way, it's a masterclass on how to create a minimal, subtle and elegant thriller. Steve Carrell delivers the best he's done till now with a stunning performance. What it just don't get is why only aWithout a doubt it's Bennet Miller's finest work. The way he constructs the tension and dark side of the story is simply brilliant. The film excels in directing because it doesn't takes the easy way, it's a masterclass on how to create a minimal, subtle and elegant thriller. Steve Carrell delivers the best he's done till now with a stunning performance. What it just don't get is why only a few speak about Channing Tatum? He truly gives a brutal Oscar worthy performance. Expand
  12. Nov 16, 2014
    "Foxcatcher" stars Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo in this true story of the relationship between Olympic wrestling champions and brothers, Dave and Mark Schultz and a troubled and eccentric member of the one of the wealthiest families in America, John DuPont. The film was written by E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman and was directed by Bennett Miller ("Moneyball") with Mr."Foxcatcher" stars Steve Carell, Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo in this true story of the relationship between Olympic wrestling champions and brothers, Dave and Mark Schultz and a troubled and eccentric member of the one of the wealthiest families in America, John DuPont. The film was written by E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman and was directed by Bennett Miller ("Moneyball") with Mr. Carell playing the part of John DuPont. Although Mr. DuPont’s picture is not familiar to most of us, he obviously had a prominent nose which accounts for the significant and almost cartoon-like makeup which Mr. Carell wears throughout the film. Unfortunately, in the producers attempt to achieve reality, they brought about the opposite result as far as this viewer is concerned. No matter how much you want to lose yourself into the film and the character Mr. Carell attempts to portray, you (or I at least) are constantly reminded that it is Mr. Carell wearing lots of makeup. That being said, the film offers a study into the degrees of control those having the power to exert it will go in order to attain their goals. The film, though slow moving at times (2 hours and 14 minutes) manages to hold the viewer’s interest as these two brothers cope with the idiosyncrasies and desires of their wealthy "mentor". I give the film an 8 but can’t help wondering if a lesser known actor other than Mr. Carell could have been more convincing in the part he played. Expand
  13. Nov 14, 2014
    Aside from three outstanding performances this critically acclaimed movie is long, slow and very disappointing. Certainly not worth the eager anticipation afforded by a year's wait. Based on true events, and despite a menacing undercurrent generated by an effective score, one is constantly intrigued but never fully engaged.
    Steve Carell perfects a menacingly quizzical stare in a turn that
    Steve Carell perfects a menacingly quizzical stare in a turn that has sparse use for dialogue. Mark Ruffalo is superb, as usual, in a pivotal supporting role, but the real revelation is Channing Tatum. The guy shows us here that he really can act. He is undoubtedly the best reason to endure 'Foxcatcher'. Awards bound it may be, but a classic film. Never!
  14. Nov 15, 2014
    I agree with foxgrove, unfortunately. Mark Ruffalo is outstanding (totally convincing as older brother Dave Shultz), and he's more than reason enough to endure the tedious slog that is the majority of the film. Carrell isn't bad, but he's a rich, strange zombie who doesn't do a whole lot - and I felt like this story could have been told in half the time. The Wrestler touched on a few ofI agree with foxgrove, unfortunately. Mark Ruffalo is outstanding (totally convincing as older brother Dave Shultz), and he's more than reason enough to endure the tedious slog that is the majority of the film. Carrell isn't bad, but he's a rich, strange zombie who doesn't do a whole lot - and I felt like this story could have been told in half the time. The Wrestler touched on a few of the same themes, but it handled the story with a much more deft touch. Expand
  15. Nov 16, 2014
    Very well written story. Many criticisms involve it being "too slow" or the motives being confusing, but it was a true chunk out of reality. It painted a very bleak, and yet beautiful picture of masculinity, and overall humanity. Showing the adverse effects of what our society values can have upon us.
  16. Nov 15, 2014
    Thoroughly written, directed and acted. "Foxcatcher" is Bennett Miller's finest work, and Mark Ruffalo, Channing Tatum and the incredible Steve Carell are at top of their game. One of the best films of the year!
  17. Nov 16, 2014
    Dark, gruesome and often difficult to watch, Foxcatcher is a harrowing experience which burns slowly and, unfortunately, may leave audiences feeling empty by its end. What works here, and works remarkably, is the trio of performances that are sure to be the talk of the awards season.
  18. Jan 12, 2015
    Down in Liverpool Street tube in London there are huge posters for this film. On the poster it says in enormous letters 'Psychological Thriller'!! This is NOT A THRILLER. It is I think, even when compared to Interstellar, possibly the slowest and most tedious movie of the last year. It's like an incredibly slow mockumentary. If it was about an hour shorter it would be ok, The mainDown in Liverpool Street tube in London there are huge posters for this film. On the poster it says in enormous letters 'Psychological Thriller'!! This is NOT A THRILLER. It is I think, even when compared to Interstellar, possibly the slowest and most tedious movie of the last year. It's like an incredibly slow mockumentary. If it was about an hour shorter it would be ok, The main character Steve Carrell plays pauses between each word and slows it all down hugely. The best bit is Channing Tatum's genuine fighting skills and his older brother in the movie who is pretty darn convincing, but the chances of anyone watching this and not being restless or entirely bored for 90% of the film.... 0%. Expand
  19. Jan 16, 2015
    A haunting film on a scale not seen in dramas. Carrell plays the character of a deranged billionaire to well I think (joking).
    Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo play believable brothers as well.
    Really haunting how it all happened, there are some epilogue pieces which should be watched. In summary, a sad drama about some terrible circumstances, but it's all true (the level of accuracy may
    Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo play believable brothers as well.
    In summary, a sad drama about some terrible circumstances, but it's all true (the level of accuracy may be a bit much at times). See it if you like dramas, or sports montages. It had a very dark, moody feel to it throughout.
  20. Feb 8, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't understand how this movie is acclaimed - the plot was slow, the acting was subpar, and you were hoping the brother would get shot so the movie would end. Save yourself 3 hours and watch a good movie. Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2015
    Good performances do not make up for weak script and snail pacing. I'm a former college wrestler - and screenwriter - who knew this story well. Carrell is terrific as the creepiest creep this side of Hannibal Lecter - albeit without an ounce of humor or interesting quality. Channing is just fine. Mark Ruffalo is completely unconvincing as a world class wrestler, so out of shape theyGood performances do not make up for weak script and snail pacing. I'm a former college wrestler - and screenwriter - who knew this story well. Carrell is terrific as the creepiest creep this side of Hannibal Lecter - albeit without an ounce of humor or interesting quality. Channing is just fine. Mark Ruffalo is completely unconvincing as a world class wrestler, so out of shape they have to cover his belly, and could barely fake his wrestling scenes. But it's the grim, slow, deathly silent pacing that kills what could have been a good film. Expand
  22. Nov 16, 2014
    Directed by Bennett Miller, FOXCATCHER is one of those films that feel serious and important until you realize there's nothing going on behind a very impressive facade. Like his earlier film CAPOTE, Miller wants to make some sort of statement about America, class difference, politics and all that jazz but unfortunately, the film has about as many insights as a freshman high school studentDirected by Bennett Miller, FOXCATCHER is one of those films that feel serious and important until you realize there's nothing going on behind a very impressive facade. Like his earlier film CAPOTE, Miller wants to make some sort of statement about America, class difference, politics and all that jazz but unfortunately, the film has about as many insights as a freshman high school student who has just discovered the world around him. The odd is never odd enough. The sad never sad enough. The film is loaded with American flags but so what? Sadly, the three main performances also fall flat. They too are more surface. The actors never inhabit their roles fully or lead us down a path of anything that might provide insight or clarity. Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2014
    The critics were overly kind with their reviews, or... they were paid. Aside from the 3 'characters' that were well played, but underdeveloped, there is not much story here or point. Viewers are left scratching their heads... what did i just watch? what happened? why? I was very disappointed that there was no insight in to the characters or what the point was.
  24. Dec 19, 2014
    “Foxcatcher” will probably go down in my book of 2014 as the most disappointing movie of the year. There has been so much positive talk of the film, particularly of Steve Carell’s playing of John du Pont that seems will change the direction of his career, that I found that to be the jaw dropping aspect of the whole movie. He is not playing funny but he is playing monotone, no smile,“Foxcatcher” will probably go down in my book of 2014 as the most disappointing movie of the year. There has been so much positive talk of the film, particularly of Steve Carell’s playing of John du Pont that seems will change the direction of his career, that I found that to be the jaw dropping aspect of the whole movie. He is not playing funny but he is playing monotone, no smile, seriousness. Maybe du Pont had that kind of personality but it doesn’t help the movie.

The editing is some of the worse I have ever seen. I don’t know if it was the director’s, Bennett Miller, choice but there are 5 too many blurry scenes and more than that of unnecessary long shots that made the picture drag at over 2 hours.

The writers, E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman, leave so much out about du Pont that his final act doesn’t make any sense. Based on a true story, though they show du Pont inhaling cocaine and having drinks, they never show that he was mentally ill. Yes they do show an unfeeling mother but they never reference the sisters and brother he had inferring that he was an only child.

Channing Tatum, as Mark Schultz, is an Olympic gold winner, more or less the jock presented as a ‘dumb ox’, more than once called an ‘ape’. He really does an excellent job and has a couple of self brutalizing scenes. Mark Ruffalo, as his older brother Dave is also a gold middle winner and the only one in the film who has a happy home life with a wife and 2 children who come first in his life. By the way their medals are in wrestling and you can get bored watching two somewhat hunky guys grappling with each other in two scenes too many, none of the scenes equaling the wrestling scene in “Women In Love” movie!

In an emotional story like this with the lead being emotionless, and only seeing someone being self destructive getting a response from the audience, made this a very disappointing film to me.
  25. Dec 22, 2014
    Thought it was a terrible movie- slow and boring. Steve Corell's fine acting couldn't help. And the tragic event towards the end was very disturbing. Not good.
  26. Nov 16, 2014
    I think that ed nunez's comment below indicates that he works for the studio that put this movie out.
    i just got in from a full theater at the arclight cinema in hollywood, and everyone said the same thing: huh?
    the movie goes nowhere, it offers no insight into why the characters do anything. they studio may have "caught" a fox, but they lost the script somewhere along the way. what a huge disappointment.
  27. Nov 16, 2014
    The edgiest thing Miller accomplishes here is making a sports film that lacks heroism. This is a film that reaches its climax too late and when it finally arrives doesn't match the narrative that precedes it. Aside from a few impressive scenes from Ruffalo, Foxcatcher is the suffocating tale of two unlikeable men told through the solid, but one-note performances written for Carell andThe edgiest thing Miller accomplishes here is making a sports film that lacks heroism. This is a film that reaches its climax too late and when it finally arrives doesn't match the narrative that precedes it. Aside from a few impressive scenes from Ruffalo, Foxcatcher is the suffocating tale of two unlikeable men told through the solid, but one-note performances written for Carell and Tatum. If I'm asked to watch a film that doesn't want me to breathe, my only request is that I'm at least drowned in a sea consisting of more than one shade of blue.

I think there actually is a great story to tell among this set of characters, but Miller unfortunately chose the wrong one; the real god was in Redgrave raising her prized horses alongside her disappointing and troubled son.
  28. Jan 12, 2015
    Although beautifully shot and with great performances, Foxcatcher is for the most part a depressing, gloomy picture. The isolation element that worked so well in "Capote" is overdone here. The American satire in "Moneyball" is used wrongly. The whole movie is just unsettling and bleak, but without redeeming value. Also, 45 minutes could've been shaved off if it was edited better.
  29. Nov 22, 2014
    Despite gorgeous cinematography and outstanding performances by Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo and (especially) Channing Tatum, this laboriously paced, tediously written biopic tragedy offers little more than a meandering, largely pointless story. The film's surprisingly thin narrative seeks to pass off underdevelopment as nuance through a needlessly bloated script and countless scenes ofDespite gorgeous cinematography and outstanding performances by Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo and (especially) Channing Tatum, this laboriously paced, tediously written biopic tragedy offers little more than a meandering, largely pointless story. The film's surprisingly thin narrative seeks to pass off underdevelopment as nuance through a needlessly bloated script and countless scenes of silent emoting and scant dialogue. Easily one of the most overrated offerings of this year's awards season. Expand
  30. Nov 16, 2014
    I'm was so excited to see this movie and it sucked. it was so slow, I felt nothing for the characters and i had no flippin idea what was the rationale or motives for a lot of the characters. Other than seeing Steve C in makeup, playing a straight character, albeit a caricature of sorts, there wasn't a whole lot here. I was expecting some major revelation or something, but it never came.I'm was so excited to see this movie and it sucked. it was so slow, I felt nothing for the characters and i had no flippin idea what was the rationale or motives for a lot of the characters. Other than seeing Steve C in makeup, playing a straight character, albeit a caricature of sorts, there wasn't a whole lot here. I was expecting some major revelation or something, but it never came. engaging at times, yes... would i ever see it again or recommend it... no. Expand
  31. Jan 13, 2015
    I'll add a review for the Steve Carell movie Foxcatcher because it was so distasteful I would have walked if it was not -20 Celsius outside. The director and script writer have no idea of pace or timing. They created a cast of characters no sane person could ever care about. Fill in some details! make care when misfortune befalls them! And yes I realize this is a true story but if theI'll add a review for the Steve Carell movie Foxcatcher because it was so distasteful I would have walked if it was not -20 Celsius outside. The director and script writer have no idea of pace or timing. They created a cast of characters no sane person could ever care about. Fill in some details! make care when misfortune befalls them! And yes I realize this is a true story but if the people are so uninteresting why tell it all? Actually they use the age old phrase "based on a true story". Do they mean their version is embellished? Simply not possible.

As an example of the inanity of the script our protagonist is told to never talk to Dupont's (carell's) wife if should run into her on the estate grounds. She does not show up on even one frame of film?
    Huh? (apologies if I dozed off).
  32. Nov 21, 2014
    Yes, incredible performances (Tatum, Ruffalo), but the pacing is off-putting and while it's a deliberate choice to make the performances awkward and disturbing, it did the reverse and never allowed me to get into the story, which is not all that interesting to begin with. Yes, an unsettling film, but not disturbing. The 2:20 runtime for the deliberate pacing is not worth the sacrifice andYes, incredible performances (Tatum, Ruffalo), but the pacing is off-putting and while it's a deliberate choice to make the performances awkward and disturbing, it did the reverse and never allowed me to get into the story, which is not all that interesting to begin with. Yes, an unsettling film, but not disturbing. The 2:20 runtime for the deliberate pacing is not worth the sacrifice and the overall film and experience suffers greatly. The totality of the film feels very forced and unnatural. And I really wanted to appreciate this film. Expand
  33. Jan 1, 2015
    I was looking forward to seeing this movie because I remember this story from the news when I was a kid. I wondered why a guy from a rich family who had everything would give it all up by murdering a wrestler. Unfortunately after sitting through 2 hours of very slow paced film I still don't know why, there was no explanation why he snapped, he acted strange from beginning to end. Also, whyI was looking forward to seeing this movie because I remember this story from the news when I was a kid. I wondered why a guy from a rich family who had everything would give it all up by murdering a wrestler. Unfortunately after sitting through 2 hours of very slow paced film I still don't know why, there was no explanation why he snapped, he acted strange from beginning to end. Also, why did the 21 Jump Street dude, who called him a father, suddenly act like a dick towards the 40 Year old Virgin guy? Because he gave him a slap after missing a practice? That's a good reason to get slapped, especially since 40 Year Old Virgin is paying for everything. Potentially a great film if it made more sense. Expand
  34. Jan 29, 2015
    What. The. Hell. Metacritic!

What. The. Hell. Metacritic!

I went to see this movie based on the good scores it received on here, and was thoroughly shocked by how bad it was. Incredibly slow, incredibly boring, bland performances (by design?), and horrid pacing. I was never invested in the characters, simply because they had little in the way of redeeming qualities. I can't understand why anyone would rate this movie above a 6.

We walked out with about 30 minutes left in the movie. Even if the ending was something spectacular (which I doubt), I wouldn't make up for the first 90 minutes of crap!
  35. Mar 13, 2015
    As a Bennett Miller fan i was expecting this movie to be as brilliant as "Capote" or as great as "Moneyball", but it was pretty disappointing. I do have to admit that at some parts it was mesmerizing, entertaining, well-shot and exceptionally developed at some aspects, but it was just so stressful to watch. Through the movie a lot of scenes and development from the context and charactersAs a Bennett Miller fan i was expecting this movie to be as brilliant as "Capote" or as great as "Moneyball", but it was pretty disappointing. I do have to admit that at some parts it was mesmerizing, entertaining, well-shot and exceptionally developed at some aspects, but it was just so stressful to watch. Through the movie a lot of scenes and development from the context and characters were unnecessary and redundant that it left you expecting something to happen and when something actually happened you ended up not giving a s*** about the events. I don't see it as a bad movie, i really appreciate a lot of aspects presented on the film and it didn't felt like an "oscar bait" movie (that's a good thing), but it was just a little boring and had a lot of redundant and unnecessary presentation. Expand
  36. Nov 16, 2014
    Norman Bates. A sexless boy toy and a bullet. a tragic story. a horrible movie.
    why do reviews have to be 150 characters? etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
  37. Feb 19, 2015
    The foxcatchers is the worst movie I have ever seen. it is far from being entertainment. Why Steve Carroll agreed to take on the role of this depressing, debased loser is baffling. There is absolutely nothing redeeming or inspirational in this meaningless tale of an egotistical man trying desperately to hone in on enjoyment of athletic success. My wife argued that this was based on a trueThe foxcatchers is the worst movie I have ever seen. it is far from being entertainment. Why Steve Carroll agreed to take on the role of this depressing, debased loser is baffling. There is absolutely nothing redeeming or inspirational in this meaningless tale of an egotistical man trying desperately to hone in on enjoyment of athletic success. My wife argued that this was based on a true story. This only proves that most true stories don't bear repeating and are certainly not worthy of being turned into a mIiovie. I left this movie three times and only came back to get my wife. This movie was not just a waste of time; it was a waste of effort. The movie's makers must have been demented if they reckoned anyone would enjoy this cinematic crap. Expand
  38. Lyn
    Mar 8, 2015
    If you're a sports fan who likes, say, basketball or baseball, possibly you've always regarded wrestling as a little weird -- all that tension and intensity, long moments of immobility, the obsession with dropping 12 pounds in 90 minutes. But you never thought wrestlers were as weird as this! "Foxcatcher's" memorable scenes are beautifully filmed, but who knows why these people are soIf you're a sports fan who likes, say, basketball or baseball, possibly you've always regarded wrestling as a little weird -- all that tension and intensity, long moments of immobility, the obsession with dropping 12 pounds in 90 minutes. But you never thought wrestlers were as weird as this! "Foxcatcher's" memorable scenes are beautifully filmed, but who knows why these people are so bizarre? There are hints about Carell's bizarro millionaire (in real life, quite accomplished) but almost none about Tatum's taciturn meathead (brain damage???). The tension is slow and mysterious, a little like the sport. Love Mark Ruffalo, and never dreamed he could look this unattractive. Is that why he got the Oscar nomination? In my opinion, his acting was more stellar in virtually everything else I've ever seen him in, and I include that steamy, over-the-top crime thriller he did with Meg Ryan! Expand
  39. Dec 22, 2014
    This is one of those dramas where everybody pulls out their best acting chops and in this case, it paid off. Channing Tatum plays an solemn Olympic wrestler, who's solicited to train with eccentric, rich John du Pont (Steve Carell). Mark Ruffalo is the older brother, whose relationship is crucial. Carell not only appended the giant schnoz to transform his look, he also assumed a halting,This is one of those dramas where everybody pulls out their best acting chops and in this case, it paid off. Channing Tatum plays an solemn Olympic wrestler, who's solicited to train with eccentric, rich John du Pont (Steve Carell). Mark Ruffalo is the older brother, whose relationship is crucial. Carell not only appended the giant schnoz to transform his look, he also assumed a halting, dark demeanor that's both compelling and creepy. Ruffalo turns in an expected involving performance and Tatum's jumped to a new level with his physical and emotional transformation: touchingly tough and sweet. The story moves at a deliberate pace and could get tedious if it weren't for the riveting performances and astounding story (which is based on fact). Expand
  40. Dec 29, 2014
    This movie is based on real facts, it is a story of Schultz brothers, Mark and Dave, both Olympic champions in free-style wrestling, and a creepy John duPont (of duPont dynasty) who wanted desperately to be a wrestling coach, a mentor, a leader of men, in a word - a great man.

It’s a deep psychological drama with few dialogs and plenty of raw emotions. The plot-line is fascinating,

It’s a deep psychological drama with few dialogs and plenty of raw emotions.

The plot-line is fascinating, even though not exactly accurate. But it is not a documentary, artistic license can and should be applied. Performances are excellent across the board, from leads to the smallest parts, which is a trademark of a very good director. Casting could not be better. And have I mentioned cinematography? Excellent! Overall, this is one of the best (if not *the* best) movie of 2014.

I enjoyed the movie immensely; however I realize that not everybody will like it’s deliberately slow and contemplative pace.
  41. Jan 23, 2015
    The amazing true story of John Du Pont and his attempts to coach the US Olympic wrestling team sounds like a dull sports drama, but is anything but. Du Pont was an eccentric millionaire whose motives are never clear, and the film has a sense of dread and impending doom that is almost tangible. The performances across the board are magnificent, but Steve Carell and Channing Tatum areThe amazing true story of John Du Pont and his attempts to coach the US Olympic wrestling team sounds like a dull sports drama, but is anything but. Du Pont was an eccentric millionaire whose motives are never clear, and the film has a sense of dread and impending doom that is almost tangible. The performances across the board are magnificent, but Steve Carell and Channing Tatum are revelatory. Destined to become an American classic Expand
  42. Jan 11, 2015
    Like many on here, I was expecting a bit more from this movie. The character development opportunities were there but not taken and I'm pretty sure Dupont/young Schultz collectively only spoke a dozen times in the movie after being the main focus in the first. I was a bit disappointed overall but I can't deny the acting was solid.
  43. Feb 25, 2015
    Foxcatcher was the chance for Steve Carell to cleanse his soul of blockbuster comedies and picking up whatever is left of his dignity. I mean there is rock bottom, 50 feet of crap and then him. Well definitely he climbed up with this movie, that the film is not good is something completely different. It's extremely boring and unimaginably slow. The protagonist is erratic, is difficult toFoxcatcher was the chance for Steve Carell to cleanse his soul of blockbuster comedies and picking up whatever is left of his dignity. I mean there is rock bottom, 50 feet of crap and then him. Well definitely he climbed up with this movie, that the film is not good is something completely different. It's extremely boring and unimaginably slow. The protagonist is erratic, is difficult to understand his thoughts according to his actions and the picture of the coach that he has created is incomprehensible, du Pont is like a father/ brother/ friend/ boss? btw horrible performance by Tatum. Then we have his brother, Mark Ruffalo certainly does some justice to the character, the relationship between both is repeatedly shown as him overshadowing the protagonist. Finally, John du Pont, the worst thing of the movie is the attempt to exhibit the relation with his mother, just like in Moneyball where the connection father-daughter was a disaster. And the ending is a desperate intent of resurrection, clearly unsuccessful. For the ones that say: that's the story you can't change it; it's BASED on true events, it's not a documentary. Expand
  44. Feb 22, 2015
    Another this year's Oscar hopeful right before the Oscar night (although up to this moment, it is more likely to be an also-ran in all its 5 nominated categories), Bennett Miller tackles another sport after MONEYBALL (2011, 6/10), his similarly-fated Oscar players. This time it is about wrestling,FOXCATCHER recounts the infamous USA murder case of DavidSchultz (Ruffalo), an OlympicAnother this year's Oscar hopeful right before the Oscar night (although up to this moment, it is more likely to be an also-ran in all its 5 nominated categories), Bennett Miller tackles another sport after MONEYBALL (2011, 6/10), his similarly-fated Oscar players. This time it is about wrestling,FOXCATCHER recounts the infamous USA murder case of DavidSchultz (Ruffalo), an Olympic wrestling champion, shot dead by the billionaire John Du Pont (Carell with a fake nose and aged make-up), who started the Team Foxcatcher to sponsor and train national wrestling team for the Olympics, where David was the assistant coach of the team.

keep reading my review on my blog, google: cinema omnivore, thanks
  45. Feb 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Director Bennett Miller has done a major disservice to audiences with the ending he provided for this movie. The movie makes it seem that John Du Pont shot Mark Schultz's brother Dave because he was upset with Mark leaving Du Pont's training facility. What happened in real life was that John Du Pont was angry with brother Dave Schultz for accepting a coaching position elsewhere. Although the story was interesting and the acting was good, particularly Steve Carrell as John Du Pont, there is nothing like a major factual misrepresentation to spoil a movie for me. Expand
  46. Dec 28, 2014
    The best part of Foxcatcher are the three well acted roles of Carell, Tantum, and Ruffalo. This is a film that reaches its climax too late and when it finally arrives doesn't match the narrative that precedes it. A pace that is slow and mostly effective but not worth the wait.
  47. Jan 5, 2015
    This will be a controversial film because of its style and pacing. The characters are never quite sure what they want to say and thus reveal. The result is a deliberate slowness that may seem, to some, slackness. And although it is a psychological study, it never psychologizes--it's up to the viewer to name or explain the strangeness of these characters. The result is a film that's veryThis will be a controversial film because of its style and pacing. The characters are never quite sure what they want to say and thus reveal. The result is a deliberate slowness that may seem, to some, slackness. And although it is a psychological study, it never psychologizes--it's up to the viewer to name or explain the strangeness of these characters. The result is a film that's very American in its story and very European in its film making. But I found it hypnotic and suggestive. Steve Carell is amazing and Channing Tatum is a revelation--lantern jawed, brooding, never comfortable with his brother or his benefactor. Expand
  48. Apr 6, 2015
    Foxcatcher is an engrossing, sometimes off-putting, but extremely well acted, memorable, and atmospheric movie. With 3 great actors playing fully fleshed out and three dimensional characters, impeccable direction, and a compelling true story, I'm sure it will go down in movie history. Many movies that tell a true story simply go through the motions, relying on everyone's recognition ofFoxcatcher is an engrossing, sometimes off-putting, but extremely well acted, memorable, and atmospheric movie. With 3 great actors playing fully fleshed out and three dimensional characters, impeccable direction, and a compelling true story, I'm sure it will go down in movie history. Many movies that tell a true story simply go through the motions, relying on everyone's recognition of the events to do the heavy lifting, but not Foxcatcher. Bennett Miller directs it with tension, detail and cinematic flourish. Steve Carrel proves to be a more than solid dramatic actor. He's creepy, strange, and yet somehow still garners sympathy. I'm not sure what his performance would seem like without all that makeup, although I'm sure it would still be more than adequate. Ruffalo and Tatum are also great, and maybe even better than Carrel, but he does stand out more due to his odd and sometimes villainous behavior. I also have to give props to the writers for creating a script layered with psychological intricacies. All in all, a great movie, a great story, and a great showcase for its actors. Expand
  49. Dec 26, 2014
    Foxcatcher has a great performance by Steve Carrell and very good performances by the entire cast. I had not read any reviews, so the end of the film came as a complete shock to me. The pace of most of the film was rather sedate, and occasionally it almost stalled, possibly because Channing Tatum was too muscle-bound to project much energy or emotion. An interesting film, but not as tenseFoxcatcher has a great performance by Steve Carrell and very good performances by the entire cast. I had not read any reviews, so the end of the film came as a complete shock to me. The pace of most of the film was rather sedate, and occasionally it almost stalled, possibly because Channing Tatum was too muscle-bound to project much energy or emotion. An interesting film, but not as tense or believable as the same director’s Capote. Expand
  50. Jan 5, 2015
    Deservedly winner of best director at Cannes, Bennett Miller is clearly one of the finest directors of his generation. "Foxcatcher" can proudly stand alongside Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master. This is the new great American outsider film, challenging, powerful and terrifying. . Much as been said about Steve Carrell's and Mark Ruffalo's performances but Channing Tatum is simplyDeservedly winner of best director at Cannes, Bennett Miller is clearly one of the finest directors of his generation. "Foxcatcher" can proudly stand alongside Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master. This is the new great American outsider film, challenging, powerful and terrifying. . Much as been said about Steve Carrell's and Mark Ruffalo's performances but Channing Tatum is simply outstanding in a difficult role - a masculine loner who internalises all his fears,anger and anguish. "Foxcatcher" is not for everyone, its a much quieter film than Capote, tenser and ultimately much darker. Expand
  51. Mar 3, 2015
    Foxcatcher is a film defined by its mesmerizing performances. Each character is nomination worthy and while the pacing may be slow it fit the characters and their motivations perfectly. Also Bennett Miller directs the film brilliantly, it looks amazing. Overall this is a film that should have gotten a best picture nod. A
  52. Mar 23, 2015
    A movie about three different men seeking success and respect at any cost with very different ways. It's also about hidden motives to gain respect, about family disconnection. The movie also becomes more than its own story to dissect the american dream. The three actors are great especially Carrel.Director Bennett Miller is excellent in creating very cold, sad and slow-burning atmosphere,A movie about three different men seeking success and respect at any cost with very different ways. It's also about hidden motives to gain respect, about family disconnection. The movie also becomes more than its own story to dissect the american dream. The three actors are great especially Carrel.Director Bennett Miller is excellent in creating very cold, sad and slow-burning atmosphere, but it's at times only slow. It's a movie to respect more than love. Expand
  53. Mar 2, 2015
    I think this is an intensely underrated movie. I hesitate to give away any spoilers, but I will say that IMO, the director, cinematographer, screenwriter, plus Steve Carrell, Mark Ruffalo, Vanessa Redgrave, and even Channing Tatum gave some of the finest performances of the year.
  54. Apr 11, 2015
    Foxcatcher es un película dramática que no llega a resultar intensa, pero si logra llegar a resultar fascinante.

Esta película manipula de una forma bien lograda su atmósfera, alzando su disimulado atractivo que la hace ser más ingeniosa de lo que es. Aunque no llega a ser intensa, lo compensa siendo un buen drama que desarrolla su trama de una forma inteligente y optimista que logra ser interesante en algunos de los aspectos de este film que posee grandes actuaciones, en especial las de Mark Ruffalo y Steve Carrell, que ayudan a que su inteligente desarrollo tome un tono oscuro bastante satisfactorio.
  55. Dec 9, 2014
    Foxcatcher will go down as my greatest disappointment of 2014. It is a psychological drama completely devoid of psychological exploration, and buoyed only by the might of the three leads.
  56. Jan 18, 2015
    It's undoubtedly flawed but it's also very tense and eerie. Bennet Miller does a good job at creating an atmosphere of hostility, a cloud of darkness looms throughout the film. But this movie belongs heart and soul to Steve Carell who plays a deeply disturbed billionaire who's always just 2 shakes away from exploding like a volcano.
  57. Jan 28, 2015
    Foxcatcher is all about the performance. The main cast are all incredible. Steve Carell pulls off what is certainly a performance of a lifetime for a man who has been known for comedy roles. Carell may not win an Oscar for this film but it did earn him his first nomination and its hard not to cheer for him as the Oscars approach. Mark Ruffalo also received an Oscar nomination for hisFoxcatcher is all about the performance. The main cast are all incredible. Steve Carell pulls off what is certainly a performance of a lifetime for a man who has been known for comedy roles. Carell may not win an Oscar for this film but it did earn him his first nomination and its hard not to cheer for him as the Oscars approach. Mark Ruffalo also received an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Dave Schultz but its Channing Tatum who surprises me out of the whole cast. Tatum shows that he is certainly capable to of a serious role and he doesn't always have to be a big box office draw. I read Mark Schultz (who makes a cameo in the film if you know his story see if you can point him out) biography prior to watching the Foxcatcher movie and sure it does not necessarily follow the most true story but the film is still effective. The film was a lot darker and more thriller like than I had expected as I figured it would be more of an intense sport film. The ending of course is a pivotal part of the film and I will not give it away but if you are unaware of the Foxcatcher story it will likely shock you and I think that is why this film has gotten such critical acclaim because its a true story that many people are completely unaware of. If you're a fan of sports movie I would maybe sit this film out because it certainly not full of action but if you want to see some amazing acting Foxcatcher is a film for you. Expand
  58. Mar 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At first when I saw the trailers I was expecting some sort of action-hyped sort of film, with exciting wrestling scenes and loud cheering from the crowd and character development, sort of like the film "Warrior". This film is the opposite. This film is more about the relationships with the characters. Very good movie a definite step up for Channing Tatum no pun intended. As well as a new persona we're not using to seeing from Steve Carrell. Mark Rufallo good as always. Great film with a dark feel throughout the whole time watching it. Expand
  59. Jan 20, 2015
    Yet another massively over-rated by the jackass critics awards contender that deserves NONE, and is a complete bore. The quiet, slow, deliberate, methodical pace here is much the same as in the director's previous work "Capote" and "Moneyball" where in both cases it worked well. Here it definitely does NOT!
    All the fuss over the performances can be chalked up to an SNL level sketch with simple prosthetics.
    Is that worthy of Oscars much less your dollars and time? No way.
  60. Jan 7, 2015
    Había oído mucho hablar de esta película y me ha decepcionado. Tanto escándalo para esto. Channing Tatum, Steve Carrel y Mark Ruffalo hacen el papelón de su vida, pero es una película LENTA y ABURRIDA (aunque tiene sus momentazos). En serio, no entiendo el escándalo ni porqué está entre una de las mejores películas de 2014.
  61. Jan 12, 2015
    This is a really good movie with outstanding performances from Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo who have excellent on screen chemistry and Steve Carell gives the performance of his career. it also has great cinematography and can be really gripping. however i did feel a bit confused on what the film was trying to convey if anything and i felt that the film was so depressing that i'm notThis is a really good movie with outstanding performances from Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo who have excellent on screen chemistry and Steve Carell gives the performance of his career. it also has great cinematography and can be really gripping. however i did feel a bit confused on what the film was trying to convey if anything and i felt that the film was so depressing that i'm not sure i would re-watch it. that being said i would still highly recommend it especially to wrestling fans Expand
  62. Jan 8, 2015
    “Foxcatcher”’s true story and ensemble both seem to have a cold and frosty shade of white over them and the film generally has that too, both literally and metaphorically. Bennett Miller’s direction reflects this, and the several chilling shots he captures, for me made my experience within that screen.
    The film’s true story follows Mark Schulz as he trains to win the Gold medal for Wrestling at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, with the help of the multimillionaire John Du Pont. As usual difficult questions are posed and “Foxcatcher” again asks us a question, as so many films do, about America, and as Erin Whitney and Matthew Jacobs point out in their review for the Huffington Post, it is one that acts as “a distant horror story for the 1% percent”. The film comments heavily on this with the multimillionaire Du Pont as the man at the fore front of these comments understandably. For example Du Pont almost seems to have the Olympic Wrestling Schulz brothers simply because they form part of his trophy cabinet, as objects to play with at his disposal, which acts as an explanation for the films ending.
    But the compelling true story and character study, particularly in regards to John Du Pont (played by Steve Carrell), is the films strength and a fascinating one at that. It will probably be unknown to my generation. But as usual the story told here is different to the one that actually happened and on reading what did happen it seems that the film’s director, Bennett Miller, missed out on several details that could have made the story that much better. For example, although the film does pick up on Du Pont’s descent into madness to an extent, it doesn’t take the opportunity to make it obvious and although I appreciate subtlety I think it would have been even better otherwise. In the true story, Du Pont for example thought that his horses were sending him messages from Mars and he also frequently asked his wrestlers to check his attic for ghosts. This really would have been a test for Carrell and could have contributed to an already stellar performance by him.
    The film though is propelled forward by its performances that branch out past what these actors are typically known for, Channing Tatum (playing Mark Schulz) and Mark Ruffalo (playing Dave Schulz) for example. But it is Steve Carrell’s performance that manages to break through the story and again what roles he is generally known for, and the hole that he leaves allows for Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo to follow through it, and therefore still deserved of the praise they have received from others. These performances ultimately stop “Foxcatcher” from being defined as good for its story alone.
    Bennett Miller’s direction is good. As I mentioned several of the shots he captured really made my cinematic experience, the best of those featuring Du Pont releasing his horses out into the wild. We see Du Pont’s dark silhouette with his hands raised, urging his horses to flee and it looked great on screen.
    Although its story is good and its ensemble, headed up by Carrell, is brilliant “Foxcatcher” doesn’t bring anything new to the table, and although I didn’t expect it to, I did expect it to do more than it did. It’s a vague expression to say that and I’m lost for words really in how to describe why I’m not rating the film better, but it’s almost as if, thinking about it, the film was saved by its ensemble performances which will explain why so many will have it in their best films of 2015 lists come the end of the year. Ultimately, “Foxcatcher” is a good film and worth seeing, but not one that lives up to the hype surrounding it.
  63. Jan 29, 2015
    "Foxcatcher" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Foxcatcher" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: Steve Carell is almost unrecognizable as Jon du Pont, a millionaire obsessed with wrestling. Hands down one of the best performances of the year. Once upon a time I thought that Channing Tatum was a stiff and poor actor, but he's come a long way and was also exceptional here. Tatum plays troubled wrestler Mark Schultz, while Mark Ruffalo portrays his brother Dave to round out a trio of amazing performances. The characterization is extremely well done and once the film finally gets going (more on that later), it becomes a fascinating story.

The Bad: The problem is that it takes way WAY too long to get going. With a 2:10 run time, "Foxcatcher" doesn't fully grab you until the film's final couple of acts. Before that, it's extremely slow and I had a hard time staying interested. They probably could have cut out a good 30 minutes and it would have vastly improved the film. A good movie, but not one of the best of the year and somewhat overrated with all of it's Best Picture nods.
  64. Dec 10, 2014
    A couple of brief thoughts on Foxcatcher:
    A couple of brief thoughts on Foxcatcher:
    A fascinating, albeit slow, character-driven study of the corroded American dream, privilege, devotion and entitlement. The film's muted color palette is painterly - but a dash of sunshine/color here and there would have been a welcome respite from all the doom and gloom. It's all seen through the prism of shattered aspirations and hopelessness - we get it, Bennett Miller, you don't have to choke us with it!
    Mark Ruffalo's performance is the most effective, buoying the film with a much-needed warmth; he's the heart and soul of "Foxcatcher" (and of pretty much every film he's in).
    Steve Carell, while effectively frightening, needy and insecure as DuPont, seemingly had trouble fully committing to the performance - from time to time, a glimpse of "The Office"'s Michael Scott surfaces through all the layers of make-up. It's in a gesture, a mannerism - the prosthetics, once again (see: "The Hours"), prove distracting, making one focus on recognizing familiar aspect of the established celebrity personality, rather than the character being played. That said, there are several powerful moments where the actor truly shines, utilizing the gargantuan nose and thin lips to great (and greatly creepy) effect.
    Channing Tatum is technically the protagonist of the film, featured in almost every scene, and he's compelling to watch, imbuing his staple "dumb-but-talented oaf" character (see: "Magic Mike") with gravitas and a sense of purpose. Still, he weighs the already-heavy film down with a resolute seriousness. Crack a smile, just once, Channing! There are also moments where he overdoes it a bit, such as the sequence where he bashes through a mirror with his head, weeping and scowling. Method acting, folks!
    The film presents the final murder as totally random and unexpected - supposedly, that's how it happened in real life. It's effective on one level, but also made me wish the narrative had more of a sense of purpose, more of a drive, a momentum that led to this point. Miller's "Moneyball" was far more entertaining; this is more of a return to his "Capote" roots, where everything is meaningful and disconnected at the same time, and the final result drags.
    As it stands, watching "Foxcatcher" is like looking at a beautiful, impactful painting that you wouldn't want hanging in your living room.
  65. Dec 22, 2014
    What do you get when a rich megalomaniac with mommy-issues who hates horses basically buys a wrestling team, names himself coach, and, after failing to see a gold medal from the 1988 Olympics, doesn't quite get his way? I won't spoil it for you, but it's closely based on a true story so you could look it up if you saw fit. The film is a slow paced march toward that inevitable conclusion.What do you get when a rich megalomaniac with mommy-issues who hates horses basically buys a wrestling team, names himself coach, and, after failing to see a gold medal from the 1988 Olympics, doesn't quite get his way? I won't spoil it for you, but it's closely based on a true story so you could look it up if you saw fit. The film is a slow paced march toward that inevitable conclusion. The pacing is brilliant and winds tension up beautifully all the way through. Long moments of silence that leave you to wonder just what is going on in the characters' heads.

Bennett Miller has coaxed amazing performances from three great leads. This is by far Steve Carrell's best work. Ruffalo and Tatum are great as well. Dialogue is sparse and emotions are understated and real. It is fasinating to watch Du Pont's slow spiral into madness. It made me think of "affluenza." If he weren't so rich and intimidating to those around him, someone probably would have noticed that something just wasn't quite right, and the audience of this movie surely will.

This won't be for everyone. Not everyone has the patience for a slow moving, plodding drama. I recommend Googling the conclusion. I think I enjoyed the movie more knowing what was coming, and it still surprised me. That knowledge helped the suspense build more.
  66. Dec 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember the murder of Olympic wrestler Dave Schultz like it was just yesterday. Being from the Philadelphia area, the story was all that anyone talked about for weeks after the tragedy. Not only was Dave Schultz an Olympic gold medalist, but John du Pont and his family were such big personalities in these parts. It's not everyday you get to relive a local tragedy played out on film, but Director Bennett Miller has reenacted this story for the screen in hauntingly realistic fashion. Foxcatcher is going to leave you speechless.
    Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) is an Olympic gold medalist for wrestling who has ambitions of returning to the Olympics to win gold in the 1998 Seoul games. Life on the outside for the Olympic gold medalist isn't all fame and glory. Living alone in a run down apartment and living on ramen noodles in between workouts has become a way of life for the American hero. Mark's older brother Dave (Mark Ruffalo) is also an Olympic gold medal wrestler who is helping Mark get ready for the World Championships. A relationship that appears, on the surface, to be strained by jealousy on the part of Mark. Dave has won multiple championships, has a loving family with his wife Nancy (Sienna Miller), and their young children and steady employment, while Mark struggles with his place in life. Mark is determined to leave his own mark and get out of the shadow of his successful brother.
    John du Pont (Steve Carrell) is a multimillionaire sports enthusiast with aspirations of becoming a wrestling mentor. His dream is to have his wrestling facility, Foxcatcher Farms, be the official wrestling training site for the US Olympic team. What du Pont needs is an Olympic wrestler to train on his grounds and help begin to build his dream. After being contacted by du Pont's representatives, Mark flies to Pennsylvania to meet with the philanthropist and the two come to an agreement. The agreement not only allows Mark financial freedom, but also allows Mark to remove himself from Dave's influence. A divide between the brothers has been fortified and allows the influence of du Pont to take hold.
    It becomes quickly apparent that du Pont's aspirations of an athletic career were squandered by his conservative mother (Vanessa Redgrave), which has led the eccentric man-child to believe coaching to be his strongest asset. With little experience in molding young minds in the art of wrestling, it becomes abundantly clear that du Pont's interest appear nothing more than a mere hobby. Du Pont's power and influence have allowed him to exploit a young man who's in need of a father-figure and brainwashed him into believing that he's the answer Mark has been searching for. The influence of du Pont quickly takes hold on Mark and his life begins to spiral out of control.
    Determined to make Foxcatcher successful, du Pont hires the services of Mark's brother Dave to train the group for the Olympic trials, a move that does not sit well with Mark. Tensions begin to escalate between the three men and a mental chess game begins. Dave attempts to derail Mark's freefall and navigate du Pont's eclectic personality all the while trying to keep the team on track to meet its goal of becoming Olympic champs. As the story culminates with the death of Dave you can assume that things take a turn for the worse. It's the buildup to the event that stands apart from the rest of the story, the hows and the whys, and those things become the most chilling.
    Director Bennett Miller (Moneyball) has created a eerily mesmerizing depiction of manipulation and deceit and the cinematography of Greig Fraser (Zero Dark Thirty) is gripping. The performances by each of the three actors is spellbinding. Tatum allows his chiseled persona to omit vulnerability and allow for an emotionally driven performance of a life time. Mark Ruffalo is the calming force between two tides in this film and he allows for a balance sorely needed. Ruffalo is never overpowering and he allows his character to play off each of his costars and his brotherly relationship with Mark is wonderful. Steve Carrell is haunting as the eccentric du Pont. His transformation into this character, including the mannerisms and mental state, are truly a wonder and one of the most interesting performances of his career.
    Overall, Foxcatcher is a gripping film but albeit a long, slow one. A movie delayed nearly a year by the studio to "complete" the film is never a good sign, but the performances by Tatum and Carrell may push this one into contention for award consideration. This movie is not for everyone, fans of these actors earlier work may find the movie boring and uninteresting, but if you're looking for a good drama, this may be a film that would interest you.
  67. Dec 26, 2014
    Foxcatcher is mesmerizing, sad and profound. I am old enough to know how it ends, yet I was fascinated throughout. It is a statement about the fragility of people who, on the outside, have everything and about the brokenness that comes from loss that neither money or accomplishment can cure. Steve Carell's John DuPont is creepy, Channing Tatum's Mark Shultz is tortured success and MarkFoxcatcher is mesmerizing, sad and profound. I am old enough to know how it ends, yet I was fascinated throughout. It is a statement about the fragility of people who, on the outside, have everything and about the brokenness that comes from loss that neither money or accomplishment can cure. Steve Carell's John DuPont is creepy, Channing Tatum's Mark Shultz is tortured success and Mark Ruffalo's Dave Shultz is admirable, accomplished and good (DuPont's opposite). I am old enough to remember how the story ends, but I was fascinated until the very, bitter end. Expand
  68. Jan 8, 2015
    Foxcatcher is everything you would come to expect from a movie that re-tells true events. Channing Tatum, Steve Carrell, and Mark Ruffalo all respectively deserve awards for their incredible performances in this film. All play such very different roles but they all just mash together perfectly under the direction of Bennet Miller. Foxcatcher is brilliantly written. It's raw, it's dark, andFoxcatcher is everything you would come to expect from a movie that re-tells true events. Channing Tatum, Steve Carrell, and Mark Ruffalo all respectively deserve awards for their incredible performances in this film. All play such very different roles but they all just mash together perfectly under the direction of Bennet Miller. Foxcatcher is brilliantly written. It's raw, it's dark, and it's honest. It's a must see and one the best films of 2014 Expand
  69. Mar 13, 2015
    I saw Foxcatcher months ago, I went to see it with very little idea of what it was about, I knew that it was based on a tragic true story and stared Steve Carell, Channing Tatum & Mark Ruffalo, other than that I knew nothing more and that's how it should be if you want to see this film.

Once I saw the movie I was baffled, it is undeniable that the performances are brilliant, the three leads brought their A game. It's a very psychological film, which means you should see it rested and ready to think, you have to pay attention to the nuances and the progression of the characters. It's not delivered on a silver platter, as a matter of fact it's a very solemn film, very simple with no tricks.

I recognize that the performances are mind-blowing, the story is very interesting but boy I was bored. There are a lot of long silences, I mean long, it works for the psychological drama that it is and I get that it helps set up the tone and pace but it’s slightly too much for me. The same goes for the cold, bleak, chilling atmosphere, it suits the movie well and makes total sense but I was not into it.

Foxcatcher has all of the right quality ingredients for such a story but maybe, just maybe there are slightly too much of the quality stuff. It also definitely did not help that I wanted to pee the whole time but I did not have the amazing experience most people seem to have had.
  70. Feb 19, 2015
    Good film, Very well acted! Real sort of mystery around the whole Foxcatcher wresting gym which is shown in the film and is very interesting.

However the film can get boring at parts and become a little hazy to understand what's really going on. With most true story films whilst watching I sometimes become interested in the characters and research them on Wikipedia during the film.

With most true story films whilst watching I sometimes become interested in the characters and research them on Wikipedia during the film. This I would recommend not doing as I ended up finding out the ending to the film, which ruined it for me, so just don't do that.
  71. Feb 21, 2015
    so here I go....i love how it made fun a wrestling and made tatum punch his face to commit.....but it seemed like a cocaine commercial and a way to show people that steve carell is funny and nuanced i guess even if hes playing a disturbed character....it did make fun of cocaine a little in that afterwards they seemed gay with the blonde tips and the chair scene and overall it was hard notso here I go....i love how it made fun a wrestling and made tatum punch his face to commit.....but it seemed like a cocaine commercial and a way to show people that steve carell is funny and nuanced i guess even if hes playing a disturbed character....it did make fun of cocaine a little in that afterwards they seemed gay with the blonde tips and the chair scene and overall it was hard not to look away...worth seeing if your someone like me and I'm actually thinking that twitter is lame due to Mark Shultz...It's like buddy, your not the only person this is for... Expand
  72. Feb 23, 2015
    this movie is way too overrated just as much as its acting. rufallo barely speaks throughout the entire movie, i guess he was an Oscar nominee for being good in wrestling? Carell isn't that good either (very bad make-up by the way). He's played a few other serious roles with much better results. A ver slow, boring film, and it was about wrestling!
  73. Mar 7, 2015
    I really wanted to like this movie more than I did. It did well at two things: creepiness and showing the wrestling world. But it was so overshadowed by make-up and mannerisms that it was hard to watch.

Both Tatum and Ruffalo looked like they were trying to play retarded. And they succeeded. If they had played it without the underbite (Tatum) and monkey walk (both), it would have been more believable. Yes, wrestlers do walk a certain way, being muscle-bound -- but not like portrayed in the movie. I kept expecting them to turn to each other and start picking off bugs.

And sorry, Steve Carrell, you did a pretty good job but I would have liked to see the attempt without prosthetics.

I agree that it dragged on and on and then just piddled out until the final scene. The strongest emotion I felt during this movie was when DuPont's assistant in the car didn't grab his arm and prevent him from shooting again. I was thinking -- what is wrong with you? But that scene wasn't worth slogging through the rest of the movie. Most of it was almost unwatchable.
  74. Mar 10, 2015
    Calling Steve Carell character (John du Pont) creepy is me being to nice. This guy is just chilling, unsettling, disturbing and can't stand to watch sometimes.

The film Foxcatcher is Based on the true story of Mark and Dave Schultz - brothers and Olympic championship wrestlers, who found themselves involved with John du Pont - their sponsor and eccentric multimillionaire. This relationship would eventually lead down a path to murder.

Foxcatcher had a lot of hype not because of the director or the other actors like Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo. The hype was for the comedy star Steve Carell has he takes a different performance from his usual comedy performance and how unnoticeable he is in this movie. There was a lot of Oscar Buzz about Carell performance for months after months about it and after seeing the film I can see why being are raving over this but I think it's a little bit to over hyped.

This movie may have stepped up Steve Carell career as not just a goofy comedy star but a serious actor as well, because in this movie his disturbingly and disgusting to the point were I forgot Steve Carell was playing this character.

Mark Ruffalo gives a great performance in this movie as he always do, because even when he's in a bad film he still gives it his all and in this he dose.

Probably the most over looked performance in this movie is actually Channing Tatum. I remember back in the day where Tatum was a bad actor and the movies that he was in you know these stupid comedy's that floped at the box office, yeah those movies, but in this movie he gives a Oscar worthy performance that got so over looked that I'm actually shocked about. Tatum is good actor and I this he did brilliant.

Bennett Miller has proved himself to be a brilliant film maker when it comes to drama or Biographical films, and his previous films Capote, Moneyball and now this film totally shows his brilliant's in that. In this film Miller shows when the american dream of wining and being the best can turn grey and really dark. He directed this movie with slick and passion and you really felt that in this movie.

The make-up in the movie was pretty well done. Now I don't normally bring up this in my reviews but in this movie every actor in this movie has make-up on, and it didn't look rubber like Cloud atlas make-up was.

For problems I have some like: The movie can be very slow at times now don't get me wrong I like slow paste movies because it's building up to something big, but in this movie they are scenes were it could have been cut out. The senses were you supposed to feel sad or shocked to kind of felt hollow for me.

Overall Foxcatcher is a good time first watch film and what I mean is the film is good but I don't want to watch it again. Why would I re-watch a film that make me feel disturbed deep inside, I'm sorry I just can't... still a good movie.
  75. Mar 15, 2015
    An amazing movie, my favourite in the last 12 months. The performances by Carell, Tatum and Ruffalo are brilliant. Notice a lot of criticism that it was too slow, would have detracted from the story is it was rushed, if anything there should have been more in the movie about how du Pont came to resent Dave Schultz.
  76. Apr 10, 2015
    This is one of those films where the trailer is better than the movie itself. It was way to long, very boring, creepy, and the ending was weak. The actors did very well though. But this movie is useless to me.

Furious 7 was better than this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jan 16, 2015
    Foxcatcher isn't a film many viewers will clamor to rewatch. It's too chilly a film for that. At the same time, it's one that will suck them in -- and it will hold them while they're there.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jan 14, 2015
    Miller unravels this story with the grim inevitability of a death row vigil, but not without flashes of sly humor.
  3. Reviewed by: Emma Dibdin
    Jan 9, 2015
    A hypnotically disturbing triumph for Miller and his cast. Bruisingly intimate and psychologically nuanced, its spiral into savagery lingers like a bad dream.