7.3

1. Nov 7, 2014
    Funny Games is for all intents and purposes a snuff film. I am not easily offended (I love A Clockwork Orange, for example), but this movie is the most vile and offensive piece of trash I have ever watched. I never saw the European original, but have read that it is identical to this one. There is no message, no lesson, nothing of value conveyed to the audience. What's more, through theFunny Games is for all intents and purposes a snuff film. I am not easily offended (I love A Clockwork Orange, for example), but this movie is the most vile and offensive piece of trash I have ever watched. I never saw the European original, but have read that it is identical to this one. There is no message, no lesson, nothing of value conveyed to the audience. What's more, through the use of the fourth wall, the director literally mocks the audience, telling the viewer that they are going to watch this poor family get tortured, and even when they finally get the upper hand, I'm going to hit the rewind button (literally) and replay the scene so the brutal sadism can continue. At this point you realize that you are just being toyed with, so what's the point of continuing to watch? Any "suspense" is a hoax; and you realize it was all just a bunch of red herrings to keep you focused on the family's hopeless demise, including the brutalization of a child. I don't know how anyone can find this "art house" film entertaining or engaging in any way. I give it a "1" only out of respect for the quality performances of Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. But whatever possessed them to take on this putrid film, I have no idea. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2011
    Haneke's attempt at creating "unbearable cinema" ultimately failed with this film, in my opinion. I found it quite boring because it is overly focused at trying to provoke emotions from the audience and in doing so lost all meaning. There was no plot, no build up, nothing. I quicker recommend that one watched paint dry before I recommend this film for anyone.
  3. Mar 13, 2011
    ... its not enough to make a movie mix every kind of violence possible and find that - because violence tends to be shocking - the movie itself will have some impact ...

the plot of this film is an empty sequence. No point is madeâ
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    Michael Haneke gets his point across, but has to sacrifice all semblance of entertainment to do so. It's a shame because there was a lot of talent behind this film.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    Mar 20, 2013
    The film is merciless in its depiction of death and suffering, Pitt and Corbet are perfectly cast, and Watts, who also served as executive producer, gives a disturbingly raw performance.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Mar 19, 2013
    Brutal, sadistic yet well-made statement about how violence is portrayed in media and our reaction to it.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 19, 2013
    In the end, the difference between "Funny Games" and Hollywood schlock horror may only be a matter of breeding. Funny Games is "Saw IV" with a PhD.