Wellspring Media | Release Date: July 14, 2006
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 14 Ratings
Watch Now
Pants_FaceJan 22, 2012
A must see for fans of the late star of Spartacus: Blood and Sand Andy Whitfield. The dark atmosphere is truly handled very well and works together with great acting to support this awesome story.
MarcK.Feb 9, 2007
I rented this because of the high critical marks it received. But why? Although sumptuous to look at, slow, uninteresting, and pointless.
EnriqueOct 24, 2006
Excellent adaptation of Conrad's story. Superb performances by Huppert, Greggory and the suporting cast. One of Chereau's best films so far.
MegaW.Jul 26, 2006
Not bad, but the air was too rich, too many long glances at details to the point of overload; here it becomes rather much. Should have moved faster instead of lingering tortuously slow on some elements- much as I appreciate the truths shown Not bad, but the air was too rich, too many long glances at details to the point of overload; here it becomes rather much. Should have moved faster instead of lingering tortuously slow on some elements- much as I appreciate the truths shown in the film and the wisdom it tries to impart, it felt leaden and dreary, almost an inescapable ruinous fate of the otherwise privledged. Good performances, the lead actress is the best thing to watch in the whole film, beautiful backdrops and costumes, oh, and a bit of brief nudity that for once is completely appropriate with the plot. The music was getting to me after awhile, too loud and too heavy handed, as opposed to a subtle and skillful touch; I think the audience could get the point without the distractingly overdone score. Decent film, but could have skipped it or waited for the dvd. Will put all but the most devoted indie-French film audience close to sleep. Expand
[Anonymous]Jul 31, 2006
At least 10 couples walked out on this movie. We hung in there, but were sorry. Some short stories simply work better on the page than on the screen.
ChristinaC.Sep 17, 2006
Fantastic film, especially for Huppert fans. She is at her strongest and the film is a devastatingly real depiction of marriage gone wrong. Kept me at the edge of my seat.
RobertI.Jul 21, 2006
Despite the whip-smart leads and the panache of hotel particulier on the Parc Monceau, we ultimately don't care about these tortured souls because we do not know them. Stylish and cold as ice.