Miramax Films | Release Date: December 20, 2002
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 264 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DaveFSep 3, 2005
Picture that friend of yours who falls asleep during action movies. He's always complaining about the clichés, the watered-down plot, the hackneyed action sequences. Gangs of New York is what that friend might dream up given a Picture that friend of yours who falls asleep during action movies. He's always complaining about the clichés, the watered-down plot, the hackneyed action sequences. Gangs of New York is what that friend might dream up given a Hollywood cast and limitless freedom. I was expecting a gaudy, eye-rolling showcase for Diaz and DiCaprio's pretty faces. Instead I witnessed a down-and-dirty masterpiece with inspired acting, dazzling writing, and bold camerawork. The script doggedly avoids empty-headed clichés, instead inventing classic lines for future copycats. One memorable scene takes place on a body-strewn battlefield in the Five Points. Bill the Butcher, folding a blood-stained knife into the hands of a fallen priest, says with dutiful respect: "you'll need this to cross the river." Even the voice-over work in Gangs is fresh, binding the meaty chaos with barbed-wire eloquence. It's a pity some critics label the movie "indulgent", simply because it dares to sustain virtuoso vision for nearly three hours. We should be so lucky to have this-a Hollywood movie that bleeds when pricked. It is rare to have characters we not only care about, but whose conflicts and relationships are unapologetically human. Here is a conniving monster with a heart, and a hero who becomes his son. And why was it news to some that the film is not 100 percent historically accurate? This is a story. A story that ignites as grisly, glorious nightmare the way only film can. Expand
JosephFeb 27, 2007
Excellent movie. Amazing acting. Original and chaotically beautiful. Gritty and intriguing. You should give this movie a chance unless the only action you enjoy is the standard "action flick."
3 of 6 users found this helpful
Kieran94Aug 22, 2010
Awesome film, daniel day lewis is incredible, the story on how the world changes around them is epic and well told. The way the film is directed and told is masterful, as well as the brilliant acting on show, the film shows the bigger pictureAwesome film, daniel day lewis is incredible, the story on how the world changes around them is epic and well told. The way the film is directed and told is masterful, as well as the brilliant acting on show, the film shows the bigger picture around them and the message it conveys is extremely well done. A fantastic film Expand
dip4lyfeSep 20, 2010
the greatest thing about gangs is the way the "old way" of corruption ruling the lands slowly collides with the new way of order and reform as the movie slowly winds to a head as it goes on. Against that backdrop is the struggle of youngthe greatest thing about gangs is the way the "old way" of corruption ruling the lands slowly collides with the new way of order and reform as the movie slowly winds to a head as it goes on. Against that backdrop is the struggle of young Vallon trying to carry out a vendetta against what he first perceived as a villain in Bill the Butcher, but as time winds on his bad deeds seem to have reason/meaning behind them and he seems almost honorable in his actions. They both grip to their old ways in the face of the changing landscape, physical and political... the dawning of a new world and as Bills eye closed for the final time as if the curtain finally closed on the ways of the old. This movie is a true cinematic masterpiece and my favorite of all time. Expand
TokyochuchuMay 22, 2012
Gangs of New York is a vibrant, epic classic. The performances are incredible and the period detailing is unbelievably sumptuous. History lessons have never been so entertaining! Seriously though, Gangs of New York is a movie I never tire ofGangs of New York is a vibrant, epic classic. The performances are incredible and the period detailing is unbelievably sumptuous. History lessons have never been so entertaining! Seriously though, Gangs of New York is a movie I never tire of no matter how many times I see it. It's a fantastically directed glimpse into the dark heart of the Union's past. If I were to compile a list of my favorite top 20 films, this one would probably be on it. Expand
SkeptikalJan 4, 2011
Daniel Day-Lewis offers up some of the best acting you'll ever see. This man's performance is amazing; I couldn't believe it when I found out he's not even American! If you happen to be a fan of quality movies and acting and have just not gotDaniel Day-Lewis offers up some of the best acting you'll ever see. This man's performance is amazing; I couldn't believe it when I found out he's not even American! If you happen to be a fan of quality movies and acting and have just not got around to this film- you will really appreciate this. Cameron Diaz and DiCaprio along with the rest of the cast also do a fantastic job. The story builds over the duration of the movie and you may feel lost for the 1st hour, but pay attention and it all comes together at the end. Expand
1234Sep 7, 2011
people saying its "boring" and "bad acting" your'e obviously retarded its a great film the acting the music and everything fits perfectly, the cast is great, especially day-lewis who makes the film with his role as the 'Butcher'
lovemusicJul 4, 2011
this is a great movie. i want to watch it again. it was great. the storyline was good. the acting was terrific. Daniel day Lewis gave a great performance. if you didn't like this movie then you don't appreciate history or goodthis is a great movie. i want to watch it again. it was great. the storyline was good. the acting was terrific. Daniel day Lewis gave a great performance. if you didn't like this movie then you don't appreciate history or good quality of work. fantastic movie. perfect score. Expand
CaestusJan 12, 2014
Again incredible movie by martin scorsese. I really like the setting, which I dont see many times. Also gotta love DiCaprio and Day Lewis their roles and the story keeps you watching, I can only recommend it.
SunGirlApr 22, 2012
My ancestors were in one of the gangs portrayed in this film, I am really proud to see this come to life. I never knew this film existed til just recently.
BrendanCogs99Mar 16, 2013
Gangs of New York is terrific. Its mix of history, crime, love, and revenge come together to create one of Scorsese's best films. Some would say Gangs of New York drags, but for those who love great storytelling you won't be disappointed.
Movie1997Mar 16, 2014
This is one outrageously well acted and violent Scorsese flick (like usual). It really shows gangs back in the mid 1800s in comparison to gangs that we've seen in other Scorsese films. The movie is just an old fashioned revenge film, but doneThis is one outrageously well acted and violent Scorsese flick (like usual). It really shows gangs back in the mid 1800s in comparison to gangs that we've seen in other Scorsese films. The movie is just an old fashioned revenge film, but done with more style. In terms of the great performances by Leonardo DiCaprio, Camren Diaz, John C. Reilly, etc, Daniel-Day Lewis really stands out and gives a tremendous oscar nominated performace. This performance of Lewis' is for sure in my top 3 performances from him. He was absolutely incredible and the best thing about this movie. Overall, it's an old fashioned revenge film, with Scorsese's take on old fashioned gangs and will be remembered as one of my favorite Scorsese films. I give it an A+! Expand
LoRevisorJan 29, 2015
Se um filme de quase 3: Hrs não te entedia pode apostar que esse filme é excelente como Scarface 1983.
Gangs of new york é cheio de humor,ação,tensão,suspense e atuações brilhantes de Leonardo DiCaprio,Daniel Day Lewis e Cameron Diaz. Com um roteiro brilhante. Esse é um dos top de Martin Scorcese...
ConorS.Jun 26, 2007
This is one of Scorsese's finest accomplishments. Though Leo fails to really step it up and deliver, he does fine and hands the spotlight to the far superior (in this film) Daniel Day Lewis, who is fascinating to watch and at the same This is one of Scorsese's finest accomplishments. Though Leo fails to really step it up and deliver, he does fine and hands the spotlight to the far superior (in this film) Daniel Day Lewis, who is fascinating to watch and at the same time chilling. Though he plays the villain, I found myself rooting for him after the first half of the film. Expand
2 of 3 users found this helpful
asylumspadezNov 27, 2011
Daneil Day Lewis is amazing in this film and is pretty much the only reason worth watching it for. It can be a little dull at times but most of the time its good and entertaining.
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
Gangs of New York is haunting and acted to perfection. Daniel Day-Lewis, especially, is very good here as Bill the Butcher.
MrMovieBuffJul 30, 2016
Martin Scorsese takes us back in time to a blood-filled and corrupt America in 'Gangs of New York', a story about a young man's revenge during a violent time in the city, and his discovery as to who he really is.

The story begins where we

The story begins where we see a man named Priest Vallon (Liam Neeson), the leader of the "Dead Rabbits" as he goes to war with the Natives led by the evil Bill "The Butcher" Cutting (Daniel Day-Lewis). The fight ends with Bill ultimately killing Priest, leaving his son, Amsterdam, to run away, vowing revenge on The Butcher.

Years later, Amsterdam (now played by Leonardo DiCaprio), returns to New York, still planning his revenge. He runs into a former childhood friend named Johnny (Henry Thomas) who takes him to Bill, who doesn't recognize the now older Amsterdam. Bill welcomes Amsterdam with open arms into his group, and sees that Amsterdam is a worthy addition to his gang. Amsterdam also runs into a snitch named Jenny (Cameron Diaz), she has had some history with the Butcher, and seems to also not be very fond of him either.

Scorsese does a good job re-creating the aesthetic of 19th Century America, this is a rich, lively, blood-filled take on a more violent and corrupt America. Daniel Day-Lewis steals the show as the menacing Butcher, he has the sharp charisma to pull it off very well. DiCaprio also does a good job to play the dark and damaged young hero, driven by revenge and hatred, he has the sympathetic charisma to pull that role off well.

The film can get melodramatic from time to time, and some of the scenes involving the structure and some of the fights can feel messy and scrambled. But, Scorsese packs a punch and directs it with such focus. This may not rank with Scorsese's best efforts, but it's one many fans of the director should see.
RalfbergsJan 1, 2016
Really loved the movie and I regret that I didn't watch it much earlier, only now. The acting and the scenes are really amazing there and even though it was really long, it was enjoyable all throughout it.
Less_successAug 9, 2006
I can't believe the way people are hating on this movie. It can't possibly deserve a 0 ranking - that's just silly. I think I like this movie more then a lot of people, but let's get real for a moment, guys. Daniel I can't believe the way people are hating on this movie. It can't possibly deserve a 0 ranking - that's just silly. I think I like this movie more then a lot of people, but let's get real for a moment, guys. Daniel Day-Lewis and DiCaprio both do a great job in this movie (particularly Day-Lewis). The plot isn't amazing, but it's still enthralling enough to keep someone interested, even though it is a little too long. It's not Scorsese's best directed film, but it's still got better direction then 75% of the films made. If you rate this movie a 0, then your rating system is greatly flawed. Expand
BlakeJ.Mar 11, 2007
A painfully gruesome and honest portrayal of racism. Daniel Day-Lewis falls into his role so well half the time you will wonder if he is coming for you.
schyguy96Dec 9, 2013
In terms of ranking Gangs of New York as a 'great movie', it does not achieve that. I do not believe, in watching it, that it ever intended to be a purportedly great film. It is very good, as a historical drama film, however. Scorsese doesIn terms of ranking Gangs of New York as a 'great movie', it does not achieve that. I do not believe, in watching it, that it ever intended to be a purportedly great film. It is very good, as a historical drama film, however. Scorsese does not fail at capturing the idea of The Five Points, the gang warfare, or perhaps most importantly, the political corruption that ran rampant. For all of its faults, it is made up for by representing itself, in a historical term, relatively well. The key selling point to make Gangs of New York a better than film than it might have otherwise been is the ineffable performance of Daniel Day-Lewis. In a career defined by great performances, only his performance as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood rivals his riveting spin on Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting. Adrien Brody in The Pianist won the Academy Award for Best Actor this year, and I do not fault the Academy for selecting him entirely, but I do believe that Day-Lewis was robbed of his most deserving award here. He defines the villain that you love, even though their morals may be flawed. You lose sight of the fact that you are watching an actor during the film, as I see Day-Lewis become Bill The Butcher. The scene in which he sits in the brothel bedroom, discussing Priest Vallon with Amsterdam, is one of the greatly acted scenes in cinematic history, although much of the movie could be attributed with that title. If you are a fan of historical dramas and of great acting performances, I believe that Gangs of New York would pique your interest, and suggest it for you. Expand
geedupJul 4, 2012
Loved this movie, although moves a bit slow in the beginning to set up the characters. But past that it takes and keeps your attention thanks to Leo and Daniel Day Lewis. This is a bit of a period piece.
StaticSpineMar 16, 2014
A bunch of good actors, decent story, interesting time period for a criminal gang movie. Great direction. A bit long (as all of Scorsese), but still totally worth watching.
ThegodfathersonNov 12, 2013
Martin Scorsese is a director of astonishing power and Gangs of New York is a movie of astonishing imagination, ambition, and scope. The first fifteen minutes are as dazzling as any images ever put on screen. The rest of the movie veers fromMartin Scorsese is a director of astonishing power and Gangs of New York is a movie of astonishing imagination, ambition, and scope. The first fifteen minutes are as dazzling as any images ever put on screen. The rest of the movie veers from brilliant to flawed, but it is unfailingly arresting, provocative, and powerful. The struggle between good and evil is represented at every level, from the internal struggles within Amsterdam to the massive battles between the immigrants and the natives. Scorsese also puts the combat in Five Points within the context of the riots in New York after the Union began conscripting soldiers. His reach is over-ambitious at times, but he has a sure hand with the narrative and fills each frame with splendid images. After the terrible fighting is over, Scorsese shows us how the city was delivered, in both senses of the word. Superfluous voice-overs and flashbacks are very annoying, Thomas' character is poorly conceived, and Cameron Diaz, though game, is badly miscast. DiCaprio just manages to stay on top of his role, but Day-Lewis gives a career-topping performance of such ferocity that the character almost bursts out of the screen. In the end, a bit slow but great in a sense. Expand
SEROJJan 6, 2017
Scorsese does it again. This movie is great no matter what people will/told you! The acting is a top notch, the characters are nice and Daniel Day-Lewis deserved another oscar for this role, in my opinion.
MovieGuysSep 15, 2013
Gangs of New York had my eyes glued to the screen as an amazing, stunning, historical piece to Martin Scorcese's filmography, until the final third of the movie where it fell a little flat. The plot twists and smooth storytelling Scorcese isGangs of New York had my eyes glued to the screen as an amazing, stunning, historical piece to Martin Scorcese's filmography, until the final third of the movie where it fell a little flat. The plot twists and smooth storytelling Scorcese is famous for just went into thin air. I don't want to spoil the movie, but after a major scene between Daniel Day-Lewis and Leonardo DiCaprio, the movie gets a little banal and dried up until one of the very last dramatic scenes. The pace and the throbbing heart that kept this movie alive just suddenly fails to keep going. The story slows down, and not much happens for a while. Now, don't get me wrong; this "final third" isn't the worst part of a movie I've ever seen. It's just that compared to the rest of the movie, this part lags and is a touch dry.

Other than that, this is a great movie with a talented cast and a great director. The story isn't all that complicated, but Scorcese's great filmmaking talents pull it off and make it interesting. It is for all I can see historically accurate, and it really has the feel of the violence and desperation of that time period. This is officially the second best role of Daniel Day-Lewis, in my opinion. (The first being Lincoln, of course
SethF.Jun 11, 2008
I felt it was a solid film, up until the end. I felt there were two films going on, and by the time there was the epic battle between Day Lewis and DiCaprio, I felt let down. But Scorsese proves he doesn't have to have the present day I felt it was a solid film, up until the end. I felt there were two films going on, and by the time there was the epic battle between Day Lewis and DiCaprio, I felt let down. But Scorsese proves he doesn't have to have the present day to make an effective film. I loved watching it! Expand
GeniasisJun 16, 2012
The movie isn't perfect, but the production design was amazing, and Daniel Day-Lewis really makes the movie with his performance. All in all, I'd say the movie is definitely worth watching.
ShahmeerJun 8, 2011
Gangs of New York is a pre Civil War film based in, of course, New York. Now, looking at the title of this film, most would think this was a present day gang film in New York with mafias and what not. But it's nothing like that. These gangsGangs of New York is a pre Civil War film based in, of course, New York. Now, looking at the title of this film, most would think this was a present day gang film in New York with mafias and what not. But it's nothing like that. These gangs are the type of gangs which scrimmaged for food in the city and rely on others to get what they need to survive in the perilous city. The story revolves around a man named Amsterdam, whose father was part of a gang called the Dead Rabbits. His father was killed by a gang leader named William Cutting, otherwise known as "Bill the Butcher", who now owns and runs New York. It has been 16 years since Amsterdam's death, and sure enough, Bill still runs the town. The rest follows Amsterdam's life in New York, and his attempts to avenge his father.... Gangs of New York was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, winning none. But to many it was no surprise, for it was extremely close for making the cut for the Razzie's. But I could accept the fact that the film was nominated for Best Picture, for it truly deserved that kind of recognition. The acting within Gangs of New York was more than ordinary. A cast you wouldn't expect to see in a film like this (Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz) all played their very best parts. Leonardo did his average acting, but a little more better than usual. I loved Diaz, for I've never seen her in such a dramatic historic film before, and it was entertaining to see how she coped with it. Then Daniel Day-Lewis also did an exciting performance, although I believe he should've been nominated and won Best-Supporting Actor, instead of being nominated for Best Lead Actor. But the cast I liked best were the supporting actors crew. Meaning, the small cameo or occasional performances by actors, was the best part of all the acting. They added emotional or suspenseful impact to the film, and always made it better. Then, I enjoyed the cinematography. It was also nominated for an Oscar, and it was well nominated. I enjoyed some of the screen shots and single shots. Then I enjoyed the Direction. Of course, who couldn't like Martin Scorsese? He never seems to disappoint the audience, with films ranging from the Godfellas to The Departed, he is one true audience pleaser. But then, here comes the cons of the film. One thing was the opening sequence. It was a very pathetic battle scene, made in the worst way possible. It seemed fake on many levels, and thank god the film got better as it went on. Then the other dissapointing asspect was that it's running lenght was very lengthy, and could've been shortened some. Then the last part was that it was historically inaccurate. Otherwise, it was great. The best part of the film though was the fact that two great problems in New York was going on at the same time. One with the gangs, and another with the populace and the government. It was a great idea to base the story on. And as I end this review, I have to say one thing; Scorsese might be the oldest director out there, but I don't think he or his films will ever die. Expand
Alexander_FredDec 31, 2011
Far from Scorsese's greatest films, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, and Goodfellas, Gangs of New York is still a well made film especially in terms of its historical accuracy. In addition to fantastic performances by Daniel Day Lewis and LeonardoFar from Scorsese's greatest films, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, and Goodfellas, Gangs of New York is still a well made film especially in terms of its historical accuracy. In addition to fantastic performances by Daniel Day Lewis and Leonardo DeCaprio, the opening sequence as the gangs go into battle and the final sequence as time passes over New York are by far two of the most splendidly done in all of Scorsese's career. Expand
Iky009Jan 7, 2014
Gangue de Nova York um bom filme porém não o melhor do grande Martin Scorsese que detém em seu currículo filmes melhores mais uma bela produção.