Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: January 11, 2013
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 306 Ratings
Watch Now
KelvinSelimorFeb 2, 2018
Gangster Squad. Awesome movie! To all those who adore the mafia wars of the last century, it is necessary to watch. Very cool, especially slow scenes.
vulvuratMay 14, 2017
Well, this movie was rather dumb and cliché, but I won't say it is absolutely bad. In fact,for a night after a tiring day, it is good for mind-turned-of entertainment. Some nice costumes and decent dialogue, packed with cliché characters andWell, this movie was rather dumb and cliché, but I won't say it is absolutely bad. In fact,for a night after a tiring day, it is good for mind-turned-of entertainment. Some nice costumes and decent dialogue, packed with cliché characters and a predictable plot, it's the forgettable, pleasently nostalgic advenure film. The actors are good, though, but don't expect much. Expand
darkbloodshed13Oct 31, 2016
This movie takes a classic approach to gangster movies and does decent job. True it's not as good as the old gangster movies but it has a certain style that Hollywood lacks today. It's about the city of Los Angeles during a time when gangsterThis movie takes a classic approach to gangster movies and does decent job. True it's not as good as the old gangster movies but it has a certain style that Hollywood lacks today. It's about the city of Los Angeles during a time when gangster ran the town. this gangster was named Micky Cohen. Nobody in the the city dare stands accept for the ex-military officer turned cop John O'Mara. O'Mara ends up having to put a special task force to chase the gangs out of Los Angeles. This means that the movie needs portray a handful of characters well enough so the audience can find interest in all of them. This is were the movie fails because instead of showcasing every character to the best of there ability they make it so some character just feel like stereotypes. In conclusion if your looking for an old style gangster film with new film making techniques involved than this film is for you, however if your looking for an interesting story with interesting characters stay far away from this film. Expand
AbeMCOct 9, 2016
Lush visuals and an A-list cast, but comes off feeling like Untouchables Lite. Decent performances by all the actors, but Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone stood out the most. It's a simple love story that's been told many times before; they simplyLush visuals and an A-list cast, but comes off feeling like Untouchables Lite. Decent performances by all the actors, but Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone stood out the most. It's a simple love story that's been told many times before; they simply sold it very well - and Gosling's character was easily the most layered in the production. Everyone else is two-dimensional at best (including Sean Penn and Josh Brolin). Worth a watch if you're fan of any of the actors involved, or you just have a hankering for some old '50s style gangster action. Expand
mohamad91hkAug 29, 2016
enjoyable movie, perfect acting specially Sean Penn, interesting introduction to all characters, I didn't feeling bored during the movie despite the movie was predictable. it is not perfect movie but it deserves watching.

P.S. Sorry for

P.S. Sorry for my poor languge
SpangleMay 23, 2016
I really liked Gangster Squad, which surprised me given the poor reviews. Beautifully shot with fantastic cinematography, Gangster Squad is an impeccably stylish and well put together gangster flick. With good turns from its impressive cast,I really liked Gangster Squad, which surprised me given the poor reviews. Beautifully shot with fantastic cinematography, Gangster Squad is an impeccably stylish and well put together gangster flick. With good turns from its impressive cast, Gangster Squad matches its good actors with a compelling plot that keeps you hooked with its real life basis. The characters are hit-and-miss (Emma Stone's character in particular is a miss), but otherwise, I thought they were well crafted or at least satisfyingly so compared to other movies out there nowadays. The action is well shot and the violence is nowhere near as bad as some critics would have you think. While not as good as classic noirs or modern day takes on the genre, Gangster Squad is a flashy, lavishly shot gangster film that satisfies the eyes more than the mind, but that is okay in my book given its good pacing, compelling story, and again, its over-abundance of style. Expand
SolInvictaMar 7, 2016
It's like watching a live action cartoon with an A-list cast. The actors try to make this movie believable but it's so over the top and ridiculous you might as well shut off your brain and pretend you're playing a video game. Hammy dialogueIt's like watching a live action cartoon with an A-list cast. The actors try to make this movie believable but it's so over the top and ridiculous you might as well shut off your brain and pretend you're playing a video game. Hammy dialogue all over the place, soulless shootouts. Gangster Squad is a classic case of style over substance. Expand
ZebunkerDec 24, 2015
Life. What is life. We live in a time when life is not appreciated. It’s not cherished. We are the cattle. And the city, the city is our master…So Gangster Squad is trying to be a classic noir film full of mystery, intrigue, well developedLife. What is life. We live in a time when life is not appreciated. It’s not cherished. We are the cattle. And the city, the city is our master…So Gangster Squad is trying to be a classic noir film full of mystery, intrigue, well developed characters and twists and turns at every turn right. Wrong. Gangster Squad is the truck driver’s version of modern classics like The Untouchables, Once Upon A Time In America, Carlito’s Way to name a few. The film is complete and utter trailer trash. It’s bound to be a top rental at dirty super gas stations along your state’s major interstates. The only thing grosser to look at would be the trailer stop hookers.

Its’ as if the producers and directors set out to make a period film but never have once watched any of the movies that inspire this idea. On paper all the parts are there. Good assortment of actors. Some character actors and old veterans. There is a pretty female love interest for the ladies. And presumably a huge budget to work with. One can image great scenes recreated to bring the beauty and shine of the 40’s to life on the screen. Dare we say Oscar performances or the next Godfather? Nope. No way!

In a bland and cookie cutter story line we follow the main protagonist who’s only real motivation is that he killed people in the war and can’t stop it. Or did we miss something. One of the real draws to the trucker crowd which this most surly be aimed is to use guns to fight gun violence. It shows nothing of the time period, the sensibilities, attitudes or history these characters are running around in. It’s not even that pretty to look at.

Most of the film is shot in this pseudo film noir style but it just comes across too dark as if they did not have enough lights on set. Everything becomes muddy and blends end. There is not enough contrast or interest to keep your attention for more than a few moments. We get very brief establishing shots and the normal flow of scenes are all focused too close in to make an epic feel of a movie which the director was trying to achieve.

At times the action is fun and exciting and you really want to get into it but the zoomed in camera angles make you want to turn away in fear of getting a seizure and puking on the person sitting next to you. One example is the car chase shootout. The camera bobbles and switches back and forth more quickly than a republican trying to avoid a question about climate change. These moves can either be stylized in which case people have really bad tastes that are making these new modern movies or that all the background is CGI and they want to hide it all so they are forced to film it in horrendous ways. How can the filmmakers sleep at night knowing this is the finished product? Audiences want to see a shootout. See a car chase. We don’t’ want to be in the car chase. We are not an actor in the movie we are sitting having you show and tell us a story. Basics.

It’s a shame really. The focus on CGI for things like gunshot smoke and fire and things that break is absurd. This is a movie that needs not CGI. You can see clear examples of this in decade’s worth or more watchable and enjoyable police and crime dramas. Even some Steven Segal films are better done this and that’s something nobody wants to hear.

Best Actor

The acting in this film is all over the place. While it feels natural at most parts there are some people that do better than others.

Josh Brolin plays the main lead, a cop who just can’t seem to get away from being in WW2. He’s a jar head and has no character development at all. We don’t care about him, his perfect hair and teeth or his pregnant wife.

Worst Actor

Tie

Ryan Gosling plays another sergeant but unlike Brolin this time Gosling is almost as if he were impersonating somebody in the 40’s. Much you would do about chiming up an impersonation of Groucho Marks as if everybody acted and talked like him. It never felt like Ryan was in the time period, it felt like he was acting. And that hammy accent he tried to pulled off. Every time he spoke I wished he’d get hit by a stray bullet. The fact that he instantly gets the mob bosses girl without even talking to her is mind-numbing. The pay-off is getting the girl at the end. Geez people.

What is Sean Penn doing in this role? It’s like a spoof of Tom Cruise as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder. That’s all you will be thinking about has he lays down the most barbaric and Neanderthal like lines. Truck drivers will easily be able to repeat them on their CB radio. The problem with mobster movies is always making the boss seem like an idiot. They are not. They are incredibly smart. How do you think they can manipulate the system and get away scot free so often throughout history? Give the main villain more credit and make him a threat. It will make the audience hate him more and cheer the heroes on more. What’s with Penn’s face make-up? I know makeup artists gotta practice but save that for high school dance recitals.
Meth-dudeDec 19, 2015
The acting was really good,the special effects were good and the movie was entertaining.Sure there was some unbelievable scenes and the movie was predictable at times but it's still one hell of a great movie.
fwdixonOct 25, 2015
Gangster Squad is a terrible, train wreck of a film.
The acting is uniformly dreadful and the direction seems to have been done by a 1st year film student.
Gangster Squad is a terrible, train wreck of a film.
Every genre cliche and stereotype is trotted out for your perusal to the point of inanity.
Numerous and pointless gun battles (with the cliched slow motion) litter the movie.
Sean Penn's makeup remind one of Big Boy Caprice from Dick Tracy and Penn acts like Big Boy too.
I've seen cheap "B" gangster films from the 50s & 60s that were more intelligent than this abomination
SovereignlolSep 8, 2015
it's an alright action movie set in the 1950s or something. It's loosely based on a true story, even though it's obviously not how the real arrest went down. But it's a fun movie with great acting and some good action scenes.
keve16Mar 26, 2015
7.9/10................................................................................................................................................
oblique15Feb 16, 2014
Gangster Squad, was better than my expectations.I can`t say it has much in it that are memorable moments, but it`s a movie worth watching. It has some great characters on the good and bad side of things.The ending was satisfying.
MarkLaingFeb 3, 2014
Great, snappy dialogue. Story was a bit all over the place and there was none of the elegance or "cleanliness" of Mulholland Falls or Chinatown but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. Wonderful sets, solid acting. I'm a suckerGreat, snappy dialogue. Story was a bit all over the place and there was none of the elegance or "cleanliness" of Mulholland Falls or Chinatown but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. Wonderful sets, solid acting. I'm a sucker for these LA 1940s period pieces so what can I tell ya? Great watching. Expand
i_love_RevengeJan 25, 2014
The movie is buoyed by snappy lines ("go buy an ice-cream" being one of the dumbest and best screen line), good looking cast, beautiful 1940s scenery and yes, some really funny scenes, but it lacks sorely in its storyline. The ending wasThe movie is buoyed by snappy lines ("go buy an ice-cream" being one of the dumbest and best screen line), good looking cast, beautiful 1940s scenery and yes, some really funny scenes, but it lacks sorely in its storyline. The ending was almost an anti-climax, (being a mindless shoot-out) and Emma Stone's role is reduced to that of a beautiful moll who pretty much has little use in the screen. If it worked on all these things, the show could really be a great blockbuster. Expand
McCorpseDec 16, 2013
2013 for me seems to be completely over saturated with sequels and copy cats. I know people have been saying that for years but this year I have seen a lot. Its not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion though. Good movies leave people2013 for me seems to be completely over saturated with sequels and copy cats. I know people have been saying that for years but this year I have seen a lot. Its not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion though. Good movies leave people wanting more and therefor its understandable that movies like gangster squad are made. Right away and all the through I was constantly reminded of "The Untouchables", its influence on this movie are undeniable. A group of cops go above the law to bring down the mob. Once I accepted that and moved on I was entertained thoroughly. This movie has loads of action and lots of big name actors who keep it interesting. Most notably is Sean Penn who has a great performance as the mob boss. It makes me wish he played more characters like this because he definitely stuck out as the best. In the end I would call this movie a cross between the plot of "the untouchables" and the characters from something more comical like "Dick Tracy". Although it isn't as incredible as lots of gangster movies its still a good worthwhile watch. Expand
foxgroveNov 10, 2013
Ferociously edited and directed with some style even if the screenplay is some what suspect. As written here this gangster squad veer between, at best, opportunistic and, at worst, downright inept. The film is always fast moving andFerociously edited and directed with some style even if the screenplay is some what suspect. As written here this gangster squad veer between, at best, opportunistic and, at worst, downright inept. The film is always fast moving and entertaining and the production values are excellent. Josh Brolin gives the best performance as the squad's leader John O'Mara. Sean Penn is at his scenery chewing worst as arch villain Mickey Cohen and Ryan Gosling, in an unusually bland role for his superb actor, is rather colourless. Emma Stone has little to do as the obligatory female love interest as is also the case with many well known faces in supporting roles. Still, as undemanding entertainment you can do a lot worse. Expand
StevenFOct 5, 2013
No amount of flashy cinematography, classic callbacks to gangster films of the past or an all star cast can save Gangster Squad from being a mediocre mess of mixed tones, laughable dialogue and over the top drama that is based on a trueNo amount of flashy cinematography, classic callbacks to gangster films of the past or an all star cast can save Gangster Squad from being a mediocre mess of mixed tones, laughable dialogue and over the top drama that is based on a true story, with obvious elements entirely fictionalised for the big screen. Sean Penn puts in what can only be described as an exaggerated performance as Mickey Cohen, a powerful gangster in the west coast who wants to control the whole lot, he talks confidently and is surrounded by an entourage of cronies and paid off cops who help him sleep easy at night. Penn's physical appearance in the film is quite comical, with one shade of orange too many, but hot-headed cop John O'Mara (Josh Brolin) is always right behind Cohen, picking up his mess and causing problems as a one man wrecking crew, until he is assigned as the head of a special group tasked with taking down Cohen, guerrilla warfare style. This is where the onslaught of violence ensues which seems unnecessary, each and every big member of the cast, whether its O'Mara, Wooters (Ryan Gosling) or the secretive and deceiving Grace Faraday (Emma Stone) are underdeveloped with next to no motive for going "off the books" in their attempt to bring down Cohen. It isn't all a lost hope though, it's been ramped up and glamourised to combine classic elements of noir films to create a visually striking piece, but this always falls flat with the films content, the biggest downfall being cartoonish and amateur writing that tries to be smart but comes off as a TV movie with a Hollywood budget, the cast can are only as good as the material, Sean Penn showing signs of excellence as the ever unpredictable mob boss, but the film film keeps going on a tone that almost feels like a parody, an inconsistent tone doesn't help the situation, we see hotshots and pretty girls, then we are introduced to a barrage of gunfights and car chases, but then we have retaliation that is muddled and brought down by that damn dialogue, seriously, the film is way out of its depth. A chemistry between Gosling and Stone is non-existent, while the film delves deeper into predicability with a final act that only solidifies this stance, it's fun and enjoyable, but writing on the wall. Gangster Squad should be seen for its visual spectacle and talented cast which also includes Robert Patrick, Michael Peña, Anthony Mackie and Giovanni Ribisi, but certainly not for its attempts at a serious tone which is dragged to the mud with a questionable script and cartoon whims from its characters, who just appear to enjoy playing dress-up, looks can indeed be deceiving. Expand
TokyochuchuSep 11, 2013
Gangster Squad is the cheesiest, most unrealistic, cliche ridden and overblown crime film you could ever think of. But man oh man is it fun! Ice cool guys get the beautiful dames, old haggard badasses get to be, um, badass and Sean Penn getsGangster Squad is the cheesiest, most unrealistic, cliche ridden and overblown crime film you could ever think of. But man oh man is it fun! Ice cool guys get the beautiful dames, old haggard badasses get to be, um, badass and Sean Penn gets to spew such ridiculous gold as "Here comes Santa Claus!" with a Tommy-gun in his hands. Expecting L.A Confidential? You'll leave disappointed.Go in expecting a cop-based version of Scarface and you'll walk away with a mile-wide grin on your face. Fantastic stuff! Expand
hubmeisterAug 28, 2013
I had very high hopes for this movie. Unfortunately I couldn't tell if it was even meant to be a serious film or a spoof of mob movies. I feel like Fleischer was trying to make a Sin City version of The Untouchables and somehow wound up withI had very high hopes for this movie. Unfortunately I couldn't tell if it was even meant to be a serious film or a spoof of mob movies. I feel like Fleischer was trying to make a Sin City version of The Untouchables and somehow wound up with The Dirty Dozen, but with even less soul. I understand that Gangster Squad is just an action film, but a little depth or even slightly cleaver dialogue would have made this film worth watching. Expand
cameronmorewoodJul 25, 2013
Don't mistake Gangster Squad for a serious gangster movie. It's an action movie that features A-listers and decent production design. Let's all just acknowledge this is the best we're going to get from the multiplex this early in the year.
Pomegranate23Jul 22, 2013
This started out as a serious gangster movie and ended in a wild west shooting style. Interesting characters, while the movie is deep and tells a scary story its full of meaningless shooting and action. An interesting mix thats good for allThis started out as a serious gangster movie and ended in a wild west shooting style. Interesting characters, while the movie is deep and tells a scary story its full of meaningless shooting and action. An interesting mix thats good for all fans of the wild west and 1940s america. Expand
Mothman225Jul 19, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hollywood dishes out hundreds of movies each year with the intend of mindless, awe-inspiring entertainment. "Gangster Squad" fits this category appropriately. It is violent, ridiculous, full of clichés, and not to be taken too seriously. The plot itself is something we have seen over and over again: a group of incorruptible cops come together to take down a ruthless gangster. Sounds like Brian De Palma's "The Untouchables." That movie was also a bloody, inaccurate, fun crowd- pleaser, but it had something that "Gangster Squad" lacks, and that is great characters.

Sure, Josh Brolin embodies the appearance and mind of a tough, take-no-prisoners cop, and Sean Penn as Mickey Cohen is intense and over the top, while holding some bursts of brilliance, but everyone else in this movie is blandly acted. The forced relationship developed between Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone's characters feels rushed and uninspiring-as if its soul intend was just for the purpose of having a romance story. Giovanni Ribisis, Michael Pena, Robert Patrick, and Anthony Mackie are not bad sidekicks of the gangster squad, but not enough dedication is given to them. The rest of the supporting cast falls into this shtick.

"Gangster Squad" makes up for it with its grim cinematography, slowed down and sped up action sequences, and not to mention its nice set pieces and costumes. This movie is fun to watch for a first viewing and for that I give it a 7/10. If I see it again though, I probably would not be so inclined to score such a high rating.
JmsbppJul 15, 2013
la mafia domino en los angeles en 1949 por mickie coen pero la fuerza antiganster se pone en medio como una especie de "the avengers" para detener esto a punta de balas y golpes un buen trama pero no un excelente desarrollo
SimpleMethodJul 14, 2013
This movie was a disappointment, but not as bad as some critics make it out to be. I thought it was decent, but the trailers made it look fantastic, and it really wasn't.
A_NorthernerJul 7, 2013
There is no doubting that director Ruben Fleischer produced a stylish film, or perhaps the word flashy is actually more fitting, but to use a line as clichéd as the film itself, it's all style over substance.

I would like to see the

I would like to see the original story behind the unit just to see how many of the unit's members were of the writers own making. The unit is literally an identi-kit of clichéd characters, the war veteran, the ladies man, the black dude, the nerdy one with the family, the old-should-be retired one. With the exception of Brolin and Gosling's characters, and Penn's over the top scene chewing Mickey Cohen, the rest of the film's big names are wasted on flimsy two dimensional roles. But hey, the slow-motion gun fire and car chase looks great though right?

The film's production was not trouble free, what with the re-writing of a pivotal scene following the Aurora cinema tragedy but I really can't imagine that this missing scene could have saved Gangster Squad from being any other than an average crime flick.

The main problem with Gangster Squad is it's competition. This story has been told before, think of L.A. Confidential (1950's LAPD) or The Untouchables (police unit against Al Capone), and both times the storytelling was superior.

Considering how good the film could have been with the cast and story at hand, Gangster Squad is a disappointingly average film but it's still probably worth checking out as one of 2013's biggest releases.
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"While i was not in love with the film nor is it a masterpiece in anyway, shape or form. But it sets a good tone in its classic backdrop. Featuring some pretty good performances. The bottom line is GS is entertaining but insanely forgettable."While i was not in love with the film nor is it a masterpiece in anyway, shape or form. But it sets a good tone in its classic backdrop. Featuring some pretty good performances. The bottom line is GS is entertaining but insanely forgettable. Its just good" B- Expand
jdeck83May 29, 2013
Very good movie and as others have mentioned, much more graphic than expected but in a good way. Did a great job of portraying the era and had a little bit of everything.
GreatbealloMay 28, 2013
With a cast this great, and a premise so promising, one would expect this movie to be incredible. Unfortunately, this movie sucks big time. It's boring, overly long, and it does not utilize the great tools at its disposal. A realWith a cast this great, and a premise so promising, one would expect this movie to be incredible. Unfortunately, this movie sucks big time. It's boring, overly long, and it does not utilize the great tools at its disposal. A real disappointment. Yuck.

Rewatch LA Confidential instead of wasting your time with this drivel. It's a much better crime drama with in a similar setting.
ICEExMagicMay 25, 2013
Even though it isn't as good I thought it would be.It still has a good story,great action and a pretty good ending.Even though the end fight was disappointing,it is still a good movie.