G.B.F.

8.1

1. Apr 28, 2014
    Finally got a chance to watch this after seeing how well it performed on rotten tomato, and I gotta admit it's a really funny movie! Just imagine John Hughes directing a movie with a gay protagonist. The writing is really fresh, giving a fun satire on high school culture and how gay kids are often viewed. It's a very exaggerated universe and the actors pull off the comedy very well,Finally got a chance to watch this after seeing how well it performed on rotten tomato, and I gotta admit it's a really funny movie! Just imagine John Hughes directing a movie with a gay protagonist. The writing is really fresh, giving a fun satire on high school culture and how gay kids are often viewed. It's a very exaggerated universe and the actors pull off the comedy very well, especially Xosha Roquemore who I've only seen in a small part in Precious but she is a great comedian (and sexy to boot). I hope more people get a chance to see this through word of mouth. Expand
  2. Jun 28, 2015
    Summary: G.B.F. is highly entertaining, original and likable; even though it doesn't succeed when it tries to be a deeper film. 67/100 [B-]

In G.B.F., social warfare erupts when three high school clique queens battle for supremacy: drama diva Caprice, Mormon princess 'Shley and blonde fashionista Fawcett. When unassuming Tanner is outted, he finds himself cast as the hottest new teen-girl accessory: The Gay Best Friend. The clique queens immediately pounce and makeover Tanner into their ideal arm candy, forcing him to choose between popularity and the true friends - including his own B.F.F. Brent - that he's leaving behind. G.B.F. has an interesting and original premise. I enjoyed it, it was very funny and doesn't deserve an R rating at all. This movie was hilarious and what I really liked about it was the amazing supporting cast, Taylor Frey as "Topher" had the best scenes in the movie, he was great.

G.B.F. has a mostly unknown cast, but there were some famous young actresses such as: Sasha Pieterse (Pretty Little Liars), Molly Tarlov (Awkward) and the actress/singer Joanna "JoJo" Levesque (RV, Aquamarine). They were quite likable, and I'll be honest, I saw this film mainly because I am a huge fan of Joanna's work, and she was good in this movie. G.B.F. is everything but predictable. I liked its execution, the first 15 minutes were laugh-out-loud and straight to the point. The whole first act was kinda of sad, and deep sometimes. The rest of the movie is more about the prom and some funny stuff. The film at the third act tries to go deep again, but it feels forced and ineffective. Some sexual scenes in the film were very awkward to watch, so if you are not familiar with this stuff, just don't see it.

G.B.F. has its funny parts, some of them were very funny. I enjoyed it so much and I was entertained. The movie leverages its uncommon premise and you care for the main character, he's shy and likable. G.B.F. is like a very good T.V. film. You will laugh a lot and is enjoyable. It's just a small, remarkable, indie film, hard to forget. I know that this is a very low-budget film, so don't expect many locations. I recommend it if you like teen comedies. The drama and the deep stuff doesn't work, but the comedy was quite well done. The script is sometimes laughable, but it works, it was amusing and mostly effective. Sometimes in the second act the direction was messy and the relation between the characters was confusing. But overall, I still recommend it. [B-]

1. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Mar 18, 2014
    The joke wears a bit thin and performances vary: this isn’t as slick as the teen movies it draws from, such as ‘Clueless’ and ‘Mean Girls’. But an original premise and earnest tone go a long way.
  2. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jan 24, 2014
    I guess I’ve seen worse teen sex comedies, but it’s rare to encounter one this stupid.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Holden
    Jan 23, 2014
    Unlike such forerunners as “Clueless” and “Mean Girls,” however, this movie, doesn’t have a believable moment in it.