Get Shorty

8.9

1. ButteredPopcorn
    Nov 17, 2002
    A really enjoyable movie! This movie has great character studies, and movies along nicely. I've seen it several times and will see it several more. Very funny, great music, intelligent, and thoroughly believable. Travolta simply frolicks in this role! In my opinion, every bit as entertaining as Pulp Fiction but without the objectionable content. If I could give a money back guarantee A really enjoyable movie! This movie has great character studies, and movies along nicely. I've seen it several times and will see it several more. Very funny, great music, intelligent, and thoroughly believable. Travolta simply frolicks in this role! In my opinion, every bit as entertaining as Pulp Fiction but without the objectionable content. If I could give a money back guarantee on any movie, this would be it. Otherwise, just trust me. Expand
  2. AlexW.
    Mar 20, 2004
    One of the best and original movies ive seen in a long time hats off to all the actors especially to travolta himself for his amazing portraly of the coolest guy i know.
  3. Jul 26, 2013
    A busy and bustling cast of top Hollywood stars fill up the screen in Get Shorty, a smart and hilarious gangster show that promotes some shrewd moments and larger than life characters, with John Travolta leading the pack as Chili Palmer, a loan shark is goes in and out of various mobsters as he is tasked with receiving payment from a nervous movie producer, Harry (Gene Hackman).
    The two
    The two immediately form quite the unsteady companionship, and Chili sees first hand how the movie business works, and it isn't that much different from what he does. The film introduces these characters who are given plenty of screen time to develop very versatile and interesting characters. They each develop quite the personality and have often hilarious conversations, particularly Travolta and Hackman, who make quite the unorthodox duo as they attempt to rid themselves of the man on their back looking payment.
    Where the film truly succeeds is its sense of knowing, it has fun doing what its doing, and the whole basis of the film within a film plays out very well, which is accompanied by a smart script that uses its surroundings to its advantage, leading us to feel sympathy for the rich and famous with LA as its backdrop.
    As you can tell, this is very much a character centric film, with a large cast also including Danny DeVito, Rene Russo, Bette Midler and James Gandolfini to name a few, they each bring something fresh, funny and unique to their roles, while they all also mix it up with Chili.
    A carefully crafted script has ensured that Barry Sonnenfeld can direct in a comedic fashion, but also to drive these characters who it sometimes seems do role swaps, we expect certain things from Chili when he is confronted unknowingly, but our expectations are completely turned on their head, we are shown exactly what things are and what words mean, not for reasons to pull the viewer in, but for a sense that in many films of the same genre, nothing is explained, and Get Shorty parodies and pokes fun at that for their trouble.
    Certainly one of the finest films of its time, full of humour and interesting characters, but most importantly, the film makes these characters matter.
  4. YoonMinC.
    Oct 29, 2003
    Less a finished product than a rehearsal for a gangster comedy about the movie business(Tarantino crossed with Fellini of 8 1/2), it strides along amusingly enough based on the conceit that the story is the basis for the movie they are trying to make in the movie. A better movie would have finally brought all the disparate elements into a well-resolved climax(like Midnight Run or Less a finished product than a rehearsal for a gangster comedy about the movie business(Tarantino crossed with Fellini of 8 1/2), it strides along amusingly enough based on the conceit that the story is the basis for the movie they are trying to make in the movie. A better movie would have finally brought all the disparate elements into a well-resolved climax(like Midnight Run or Reservoir Dogs where everything falls into place)but one can't complain too much with such star studded cast having so much fun. Priceless is movie ad with Devito as Napoleon. Expand
  5. ChrisM.
    Feb 8, 2006
    This movie is a lot like "The Player" a little more entertaining though.
  6. DanC.
    May 28, 2004
    Very much fun. Travolta, Hackman and DeVito are great. My favorite character is Barboni who can't say a sentence with some sort of profanity. The film is chock full of great dialogue. It makes you wonder why John Travolta stopped making films like this and Pulp Fiction in favor of crap like Basic and Domestic Disturbance.
  7. K.R.
    Nov 21, 2002
    Incredible, very funny.
  8. FranciscoM.
    Mar 13, 2003
    I love this Movie!! Without a doubt Travoltas best work, and who can forget the Rene Russo. It is a classic!!
  9. Apr 17, 2016
    Overall, Get Shorty is a pretty fun and entertaining crime comedy/thriller. John Travolta turns in a truly cool and calculated performance as this loan shark turned wannabe Hollywood producer. He really makes this role his own. Additionally, it is well-written and the plot is compelling. I never found it overly funny, but this was not a major problem in and of itself. The main detractionOverall, Get Shorty is a pretty fun and entertaining crime comedy/thriller. John Travolta turns in a truly cool and calculated performance as this loan shark turned wannabe Hollywood producer. He really makes this role his own. Additionally, it is well-written and the plot is compelling. I never found it overly funny, but this was not a major problem in and of itself. The main detraction here has to be how truly generic the film is. From beginning to end, it is completely derivative of every film about Hollywood and/or crime that came before. This is obviously not ideal and it leaves you feeling as if you had seen this movie dozens of times before. That said, it is a fun film with very well developed characters, good pacing, and strong writing. Overall, Get Shorty works as both a satire of the crime genre and on its own as a crime film. Expand
  10. Apr 7, 2016
    Get Shorty reminds me of those days when movies were just plain simple to make. No matter loved or hated, they were so simple. Get Shorty is one of those best simple movies ever made.

1. An entertaining comedy-thriller directed with bounce (if not much nuance) by Barry Sonnenfeld.
  2. The jokes are quick, with clever jibes alternating with double-crosses and the occasional murder, and the streamlined plot unrolls like a colorful ball of twine.
    One of the best movies of the year and by far the most entertaining.