Ghost Rider

3.4

1. Apr 20, 2013
    When this movie first came out, I was really excited. I was really hoping for a scary and exciting superhero movie. But after watching what was so suppose to be excellent, this was pure crap. First off, the so-called horrorifying visuals and fight sequences sucked. They really bored the crap out of me. Second, the screenplay was just absolutely terrible. I mean seriously, a 5 year oldWhen this movie first came out, I was really excited. I was really hoping for a scary and exciting superhero movie. But after watching what was so suppose to be excellent, this was pure crap. First off, the so-called horrorifying visuals and fight sequences sucked. They really bored the crap out of me. Second, the screenplay was just absolutely terrible. I mean seriously, a 5 year old could have wrote this. Third, there was some bad acting. Not all the actors were terrible, but Eve Mendes was just bad. She may look sexy, but she really couldn't pull off her character (Roxane). The storyline may be somewhat decent, but overall, it's just a terrible comic book rip-off. Expand
  2. LewW.
    Feb 15, 2007
    What a joke. No wonder it rotted in the can for two years. The director can now add yet another cinematic abomination to his hysterical resume. Ditto for Cage, who looks ludicrous. WICKER MAN and GHOST RIDER in the same year? Bravo. Almost as good as his last double-play: WEATHER MAN and LORD OF WAR. Cage time and again manages to limbo under the low, low bar he set in CON AIR. Basically, What a joke. No wonder it rotted in the can for two years. The director can now add yet another cinematic abomination to his hysterical resume. Ditto for Cage, who looks ludicrous. WICKER MAN and GHOST RIDER in the same year? Bravo. Almost as good as his last double-play: WEATHER MAN and LORD OF WAR. Cage time and again manages to limbo under the low, low bar he set in CON AIR. Basically, Coppola's nephew keeps churning out the virtuoso performances. When will Nic Cage be exposed for the ham and fraud he is? Another 20 mil for the hack. Yeah, I know he was in Leaving Las Vegas, but he's long since spent whatever capital he earned from that. Whoever sees fit to pay Cage and this director is not fit to draw breath, let alone greenlight motion pictures. Shame on everyone involved. The money spent on this dreck could have fed orphans or gone to disease research. Expand
  3. Sep 27, 2011
    What makes "Ghost Rider" so terrible is not the childish dialogue or Nicolas Cage, but the story. The plot madly stomps on everything, pulverizing the whole movie into a ugly piece of scrap.
  4. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    There's not one good thing i can say about this movie.
  5. May 1, 2011
    One of the worst movies ever to be created, terrible acting, terrible story, terrible special effects, terrible casting. I'm actually surprised this movie made it to the cinemas nevermind DVD.
  6. Feb 17, 2012
    One of the most coolest characters from the Marvel Universe is instantly destroyed with a mediocre cast and a dumb narrative. Nicolas Cage , you are not the perfect actor for this kind of movie .
  7. Mar 20, 2016
    A few days ago, Ghost Rider star Nicolas Cage made news by defending his appearance in a film based on a comic book by summoning up names like Goethe and Thomas Mann, and talking about comics' potential to reintroduce timeless themes in a "pop-art contemporary manner." And he's absolutely right. Or he would be if he were talking about Batman Begins or the Spider-Man series, recentA few days ago, Ghost Rider star Nicolas Cage made news by defending his appearance in a film based on a comic book by summoning up names like Goethe and Thomas Mann, and talking about comics' potential to reintroduce timeless themes in a "pop-art contemporary manner." And he's absolutely right. Or he would be if he were talking about Batman Begins or the Spider-Man series, recent comic-book adaptations that got both the spectacle and the depth right. But he couldn't have been talking about Ghost Rider.

Cage is a comic-book fan from way back (he has a son named Kal-El, and his own stage name comes from Marvel hero Luke Cage), and he's circled around comics-inspired movie projects for years. Too bad he landed on this one, which reinvents a bizarre Marvel hero born of a 1970s enthusiasm for motorcycle-stunt heroics. Director Mark Steven Johnson previously botched an adaptation of Daredevil by being unable to decide what kind of movie he wanted to make. Here, that isn't a problem, assuming he set out solely to make the kind that fills moviegoers with buyers' remorse.

Played in the opening scenes by young actor Matt Long, future Ghost Rider Johnny Blaze inadvertently brokers a deal with Mephistopheles (Peter Fonda) to save his father from cancer, only to watch his dad die in a motorcycle crash the next day. (There's always a catch with those supernatural pacts, isn't there?) Understandably upset, he embarks on a career of daredevil stunt-riding, gaining fame and fortune by jumping across football fields. But when Fonda comes calling, Cage gets transformed into a supernatural force for vengeance with a flaming skull-head and the ability to ride his motorcycle up the side of skyscrapers.

Any potential the film had for making pop art in a contemporary manner is drained away by the familiar demands of second-tier action blockbusters. Cage has some fun with the role, making Blaze a kind of Zen Elvis with a strange fixation on Carpenters songs, but the film's priorities lie with the digital effects and not the story, and even the effects aren't that hot. Eventually, Ghost Rider devolves into a long fight between Fonda's even more evil son Blackheart (Wes Bentley) and Ghost Rider, with Cage largely disappearing to make room for a CGI flaming skull. At least they got the cheekbones right.
  8. BenS.
    Feb 22, 2007
    Awful, even for a comic book movie. It's so bad that sometimes it's funny, ala "Snakes in a Plane".
    Feb 15, 2007
    A hilarious movie. 3 points only because it was entertaiing to watch such a stupid film in action. I cannot believe they spent so much money on making this quiet action movie that is awkard for the entire film. Very entertaining but very bad. A guilty pleasure but obviously an awful film.
  10. DavidV
    Feb 24, 2007
    This movie was an embarrasment for Marvel. Started out somewhat decently but almost became Catwoman at the end.
  11. RazvanT.
    Feb 25, 2007
    It's horrible, nothing to see at this movie !
  12. 9572AD
    Feb 27, 2007
    Some cool cinematics, but few. Awful plot. Fell asleep before the end, and it was a noon showing.
  13. AnsonG.
    Mar 3, 2007
    Absolutely garbage. The acting was horrendous, the special effects was terrible as the plot. I staring at on screen at 2 hours and i was very boooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiing like i had wasted over an hour of my life. There is NO story, no emotion, NOTHING. Please do not waste your money on this movie. I normally dont criticize movies like this, and most of the people might think bad, but this Absolutely garbage. The acting was horrendous, the special effects was terrible as the plot. I staring at on screen at 2 hours and i was very boooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiing like i had wasted over an hour of my life. There is NO story, no emotion, NOTHING. Please do not waste your money on this movie. I normally dont criticize movies like this, and most of the people might think bad, but this is going too far. This movie should not have been released. It was incredibly drawn out, which isnt surprising given the fact they had to take no story and stretch it over a couple of hours. The previews make it look bad enough, but if you see the movie you will discover the degree of awfulness this movie possesses. Take my word, dont put yourself through it. Im sorry, but any person who enjoyed this movie is at the same level intellectually as a 2 year old. Expand
  14. EmoK.
    Mar 5, 2007
    Don't waste your money. The only reason it made box office hit list was because everyone thought it would be as good as the rest of the comic book movies.
  15. CJ
    Apr 6, 2007
    Dreadful from start to finish. Full of cheesy gags and cliches. Caused me to laugh when I probably shouldn't have, while the actual "humour" in the film was about as funny as contracting Hepatitis. I never had high expectations for this film, and was appalled to discover that Ghost Rider couldn't even reach those low opinions I had of it in the first place. Unlike several other Dreadful from start to finish. Full of cheesy gags and cliches. Caused me to laugh when I probably shouldn't have, while the actual "humour" in the film was about as funny as contracting Hepatitis. I never had high expectations for this film, and was appalled to discover that Ghost Rider couldn't even reach those low opinions I had of it in the first place. Unlike several other comic adaptations, Ghost Rider should forever remain in a book, rather than move across to the big screen, so actors like Nicolas Cage don't have to embarrass themselves fulfilling a role that shouldn't have been issued to anyone. Expand
  16. OthoS.
    Feb 16, 2007
    I've always thought that Cage was a one-trick pony. Well, make that two tricks. He did manage to play a good drunk in Leaving Las Vegas. However, all his other roles are pretty much just variations on a theme. GR is no exception. Too bad--I usually like the Marvel flicks, even the Fantastic Four.
  17. VanessaC.
    Feb 17, 2007
    A movie that starts with an already thin hope for fun ends up sucking even worse.
  18. TD
    Feb 17, 2007
    Sadly, no. I wanted to say yes yes yes! but no.
  19. Alina
    Feb 24, 2007
    perhaps the stupidest movie with the cheesiest plot since the 50's. i couldn't believe how bad tis movie was. it was the most "bleh" thing i have ever seen.. i walked out on it and went to eat. the only good part about it is making fun of how trite it is. oh and the bike was kinda cool.
  20. Eeganrac
    Feb 25, 2007
    The movie is campy, boring, and just plain dumb. One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time.
  21. Deanna
    Feb 25, 2007
    Honestly, I think this is the worst movie I have seen in about a year. My friend and I got so bored, we started to attempt to annoy the people in front of us, just to keep our minds occupied. The graphics was pittiful. I took about 10 minutes in the bathroom, just so I wouldn't have to go back. I suggested that we should leave, but my friend said "Why? There is nothing else to do." I Honestly, I think this is the worst movie I have seen in about a year. My friend and I got so bored, we started to attempt to annoy the people in front of us, just to keep our minds occupied. The graphics was pittiful. I took about 10 minutes in the bathroom, just so I wouldn't have to go back. I suggested that we should leave, but my friend said "Why? There is nothing else to do." I would have rather watched grass grow, personaly. It is not scary, thrilling or remotely interesting. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! Do not see this movie! Expand
  22. EFrozen
    Feb 28, 2007
    Horrible! So was there a fight scene at all? Have Singer or Rami direct the next one.
  23. Robyn
    Jun 14, 2007
    one of the worst movies ever. a tragedy, given such a cool comic character. Nic Cage is awful, should have never been considered, or forced on the movie. unbelievable that a bunch of idiot movie execs could get 100 million dollars to make such a piece of garbage.
  24. PeterC.
    Jan 9, 2008
    I really want the few hours I spent watching this movie back. They were the worst hours of my life.
  25. JR
    Feb 19, 2007
    Once again Hollywood takes a fairly interesting comic book hero (and accompanying mythology) and turns it into a giant, stinking coiler. I have to admit that it was exciting watching the Ghost Rider in action. But every single person in this movie overacted and for this one can only blame the director. The fact that he helmed "Daredevil" should have been red flag enough.
  26. ChadS.
    Feb 27, 2007
    "Ghost Rider" glosses over its one potentially interesting storyline; the familial rift between Mephistopheles(Peter Fonda) and his son(the creepy HV guy from "American Beauty"). Blackheart and his minions of darkness cohorts look like a goth band on their night off. Ghost Rider seems like an inept name for this second-tier Marvel creation; after all, he's a skelton and we can see "Ghost Rider" glosses over its one potentially interesting storyline; the familial rift between Mephistopheles(Peter Fonda) and his son(the creepy HV guy from "American Beauty"). Blackheart and his minions of darkness cohorts look like a goth band on their night off. Ghost Rider seems like an inept name for this second-tier Marvel creation; after all, he's a skelton and we can see him. The Vandalizer might be a better moniker for Johnny Blaze's alter ego; he's a messy super(or is it super anti-)hero. To distract yourself, estimate how much it'll cost the city to repair all those fire-scorched boulevards. Oh, but what about the plot, you say? Of course, it blows. Selling your soul to the devil is a storyline that hasn't been put to good use since Ralph Macchio kicked Steve Vai's ass in "Crossroads". Oh, but what about the acting, you say? Nicolas Cage looks bored. Eva Mendes always looks bored. And Fonda has only one-note to play. There will be no "Ghost Rider 2". Expand
  27. Axis
    Jun 14, 2007
    and the award for the worst movie I've seen to date goes to.....ghost rider. (hold for non existent applause) like many people i had no expectations of this movie. i figured it would be full of action and good cg but swing and a miss for me because this movie was terrible. the acting is sub par along with the spotty story line. i recommend that you grab a chair, maybe some popcorn, and the award for the worst movie I've seen to date goes to.....ghost rider. (hold for non existent applause) like many people i had no expectations of this movie. i figured it would be full of action and good cg but swing and a miss for me because this movie was terrible. the acting is sub par along with the spotty story line. i recommend that you grab a chair, maybe some popcorn, paint the wall and watch it dry before you rent this dud. Expand
  28. RobbyH
    Dec 22, 2007
    It gets a 2 instead of a 0 because it was so bad as to actually be kind of funny. I couldn't help but laugh when Nic Cage slowly extended his flaming finger, dramatically, just to strike a pose before answering a yes/no question.
  29. Dec 25, 2011
    "Ghost Rider" is what you could possibly expect from Nicolas Cage's recent films: horrendous script, lame acting and turgid action saturated with mediocre special effects.
  30. Sep 20, 2015
    I've changed my rating for this movie many times as I've gotten older. Hopefully, this will be the last time. Ghost Rider starring Nicholas Cage, Wes Bentley and some other people. Yes it's so bad I don't even remember who else was in it because every character is changed for the sequel so, who cares. Oh wait Eva Mendes, she was in it. Okay so as always let's start with the bad. NicholasI've changed my rating for this movie many times as I've gotten older. Hopefully, this will be the last time. Ghost Rider starring Nicholas Cage, Wes Bentley and some other people. Yes it's so bad I don't even remember who else was in it because every character is changed for the sequel so, who cares. Oh wait Eva Mendes, she was in it. Okay so as always let's start with the bad. Nicholas Cage is awful, awful, awful as Johnny Blaze. They could have casted the guy from The Room and it would have been better. See the problem is he should have known he couldn't act with a terrible script provided by Mark Steven Johnson so he should have just given a Wicker Man performance. Unfortunately, his performance is awful because it's forgettable. There was not a single memorable quote in this movie at all. Not to mention zero character development. They barley gave a name for Eva Mendes' character. The visuals aren't even that great and that jacket is so cheesy, it gave me chills just looking at it. Also, there were so many puns that weren't funny in anyway. As for the good parts of the movie, well they weren't really good. There really just the okay parts that made me not give this movie a 0 rating. Anyway, Sam Elliot gives a decent somewhat cheesy performance. The only pretty good part of this movie was the graveyard scene which was well executed and exciting. In the end, Ghost Rider is poorly acted, badly written, filled with somewhat bland special effects and bad puns. Ultimately despite some redeeming moments, Ghost Rider receives a 2/10 score. Expand
  31. Nov 15, 2012
    Ugh-yuck. So much wasted potential here, this sad, sad movie just makes you want to puke on the screen.
  32. Jan 4, 2014
    Destaca-se como um dos piores filmes de super heróis que já vi, uma droga completa, mal feito, mal produzido da pena de assistir esse desastre......
  33. Aug 5, 2013
    A sloppy effort at bringing this movie to life, full of lousy dialogue, one-dimensional characters, and subpar special effects that make Ghost Rider a difficult superhero film to sit through.
  34. Jan 29, 2014
    Good god this was painful to watch. It's this ectoplasm of Marvel and skeletons and westerns and grave keepers and demons and...I don't even know. Right off the bat, Cage does not look like he's 20-something he's supposed to be portraying by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how hard he tries to brush his hair over. It was like watching someone with superpowers have a psychologicalGood god this was painful to watch. It's this ectoplasm of Marvel and skeletons and westerns and grave keepers and demons and...I don't even know. Right off the bat, Cage does not look like he's 20-something he's supposed to be portraying by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how hard he tries to brush his hair over. It was like watching someone with superpowers have a psychological meltdown amidst a mid-life crisis. Guhhhhhh. Expand
  35. Jan 29, 2014
    Ghost Rider another Marvel Comics adaptation with star Nicolas Cage (Ghost Rider). Johnny Blaze makes a pact with the devil Mephistopheles (Peter Fonda) that would save his father. Mephistopheles tells him that he will become a ghost rider. Father Blaze (Brett Cullen) dies and Joni breaks up with his childhood love Roxanne Simpson (Eva Mendes). Several years later, Johnny became famousGhost Rider another Marvel Comics adaptation with star Nicolas Cage (Ghost Rider). Johnny Blaze makes a pact with the devil Mephistopheles (Peter Fonda) that would save his father. Mephistopheles tells him that he will become a ghost rider. Father Blaze (Brett Cullen) dies and Joni breaks up with his childhood love Roxanne Simpson (Eva Mendes). Several years later, Johnny became famous stuntman. Johnny Blaze all the time lucky with death and he always survives during his stunts. one of the jumps he meets Roxanne. He risked his life invites her to dinner. Blaze evening sees Mephistopheles and turns into a ghost rider. Mephistopheles says Blaze that he needed to fight his son, Blackheart (Wes Bentley) and his fallen angels.

Cage begins to wriggle and turn your bike into a ghost bike. Now he begins to sacrifice murderers and evil spirits from the souls that would burn in hell. Blaze Blackheart win if the curse will disappear. Armed with a motorcycle chain with bad CG animation it starts to fight against evil. He meets the cemetery Carter Slade / Ghost Rider who is the caretaker of the cemetery. He teaches him to control his mind. Blackheart kidnaps Roxanne Blaze and says that if he does not bring the contract it will die.
    Blackheart does not constitute a charismatic villain. It is not impressive as his fallen angels. Cage sees murderers and again begins to wriggle constantly. This is the main problem of the film is not very Cage looks at the role of the rider. Ghost Rider should be dark and serious, but all the time Cage hamming and joking.

Director Mark Steven Johnson, the director of Daredevil is not very able to do movie comics. Screenplay is very stupid. Silly and funny dialogues will throughout the film. But the ending is just awful. Blaze Blackheart wins and refuses to expire. He says he is a racer that would win Mephistopheles.

Subtotal: Ghost Rider is one of the worst movie comics
    Rating: C-
  36. Jul 24, 2014
    Despite the efforts of Ghost Rider, this forgettable, nonsensical film suffers from pathetically laughable dialogues, poor acting and a clichêd narrative.
  37. Oct 10, 2014
    Normally I would watch a film featuring Nicolas Cage because they're hilarious, for example 'The Wicker Man'. This is that bad it's not funny, Cage is so poor it's un-watchable. If I'm bored and I want to watch a terrible film that's funny, Cage is the first actor I will go for, but this was diabolical.

The movie's last words are "This is how legends are born." Make that stillborn, because when the makers of this one pitch the sequel, the only answer is going to be, "Ah HA HA HA!"
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Ghost Rider is the kind of movie that's great stupid fun as long as someone else is buying the tickets.
  3. Marvel-man Mark Steven Johnson, who wrote and directed "Daredevil" (2003) and scripted "Elektra" (2005), continues to demonstrate the wrong way to make comic book movies: Make sure special effects overwhelm the characters, let campy mannerisms go unchecked and be sure dialogue is declaimed rather than spoken.