5.8

1. Feb 12, 2011
    I thought this movie was absolutely delightful, then again, I was not expecting a computer-animated retelling of Romeo and Juliet like other reviewers were. The characters were fun caricatures of those players we've grown to love and know very well from Shakespeare's original play, and even small characters had fully developed personalities. I found myself caring for the main protagonists' plights due to the careful, if not a little rushed, storytelling. The animation was gorgeous and delightful. Young ones will love it, and even though I am decidedly not in the target demographic, I was mesmerized by the vibrant and colorful graphics.

The soundtrack and music, courtesy of Sir Elton John, fit the movie perfectly and provided a very fun backdrop the the on-screen action.

All in all, I'd definitely go to see this one again and I encourage you to give it a chance-- you may be surprised.
  2. Jun 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say that I absolutely hate Shakespeare and his works, including Romeo and Juliet. This movie however, was the anti- Romeo and Juliet, and that, for me, was a very good thing. Sure, there may have been a bit too many pop culture references (although I loved Hulk Hogan's Terrafirminator commercial, brother!). But in the end, I'm glad some guys decided to give William Shakespeare the finger by making this movie. Expand
  3. Aug 18, 2011
    gnomeo and juliet is amazing cartoon, first i thought it would be lame and boring, but it turned out just the opposite! movie is great, it has a happy ending, that's the most important thing, at least for me. although i was a bit disappointed because some parts of movie doesn't make sense at all.
  4. Nov 21, 2011
    This was an amazing movie. It is a kid movie, what can you expect? Not every moment is going to be right out hilarious. Even adults enjoy the humor and the plot was very good. I was curious to see how the ending went and I was very pleased when the gnomes didn't die. I think the idea is very creative, who else would think to make a spoof-like movie about gnomes on ShakeSpears Romeo and Juliet. For a kid movie I really enjoyed it. It has bright, cute humor and the characters arn't perfect and are enjoyable. People are rating this bad because they think the animation is bad, well it's not. Also all the other animated kids movie: Toy Story 3, Cars 2, ect are lame in the plot. Cars 1 was ok but they're just going to run the whole idea of it right into the ground. Gnomeo and Juliet is filled with surprised and the plot doesn't falter nor is it run in the ground so people are bored. The humor wasn't always in words but in facial expressions and body language. If you actually watch the movie and tried to read into it it is a very enjoyable watch. I highly recommend it for kids 1-13. I think even the teenagers would enjoy all the humor and like the funny twist on Romeo and Juliet. I'm definitely not saying that adults won't enjoy this film because I can almost guarantee that all ages would enjoy this movie. I like how there is action and romance and comedy all mixed into one great retelling (sort of) Gnomeo and Juliet. If you saw this in the theaters with your children you would be entertained as well. I don't think this movie is down right hilarious every second but what movie is? If everything that happened was funny the whole film would be cheesy, boring, and pathetic. I like how this movie balances it out nicely so the humor doesn't let you down or get boring unlike probably a lot of other comedy's that have no meaning, no plot, and people made out of boredom. If you didn't like this adorable, sweet movie then fine, be a Grinch. You can be ugly and sour about this movie all you want and have extremely high standards when it comes to movies then fine but you don't have to put down negative comments. The whole world doesn't really care whether or not you yawned the whole way through it. I think if you don't like it you should not purposely go on a review site and dish about a movie you didn't like. This is definitely a movie thats worth seeing, just to see if you like it or not. Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2012
    endearing and fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Feb 15, 2011
    Theatrically inclined parents will also appreciate a passing reference to the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Moving Co.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrea Gronvall
    Feb 12, 2011
    Terra-cotta gnomes, the sort that decorate people's lawns, are the characters of this bizarre feature animation, which lampoons the British obsession with gardening and upholds a long tradition of cartoons pitched to tots and stoners.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean O\\\\\\\'Connell
    Feb 11, 2011
    Any film that dares to cast the bat-chewing heavy-metal legend as a gentle, ceramic reindeer named Fawn is okay in my Bard book.