Roadside Attractions | Release Date: March 27, 2009
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 43 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
TimeAug 15, 2010
Unequivocally, undeniably human. When the end credits started rolling, I was initially annoyed that all my questions weren't neatly answered, but the rich character development is what stayed with me.
NickJSep 10, 2009
One of the greatest films of this or any decade. I have seen Bahrani's two other films, and think that they are wonderful as well. However, even they are not comparable to Goodbye Solo, which brilliantly explores the theme of One of the greatest films of this or any decade. I have seen Bahrani's two other films, and think that they are wonderful as well. However, even they are not comparable to Goodbye Solo, which brilliantly explores the theme of overwhelming, unfixable loneliness and the passing of generations in modern day America. A.O. Scott said that this was an "almost perfect film". If any movie has ever come in close contact with perfection, it is this Expand
SeanKSep 3, 2009
The best movie of the year. One of the most intelligent, unpretentious, meditative, human, and heartbreaking films to come onto theaters in years.
carlitodSep 3, 2009
Maybe i expected too much, but this seemed only mildly inspiring and quasi entertaining. it felt like it was trying... I don't know just not enough substance.
swizwOct 31, 2009
A dark, brooding film. The cinematography is done with an incredible attention to detail as much more is shown than said. Superb movie, and West and Savane have an excellent chemistry (or lack thereof).
301Oct 7, 2009
The palpable melancholy may perturb the average cinema-goer seeking pure thrill. The others will find an ephemeral snapshot of the changing face of America.
JoshBApr 1, 2009
It's a "small film" without without big ambitions, but is really a great little piece of character-based storytelling. It's got slow but steady pacing, but I found it very engrossing from the start. Great performances from the two leads.
RHDApr 13, 2009
The characters in the third Bahrani film are more nuanced that his previous, very good, efforts. Red West plays a man trying to distance himself from the world and Savane is wonderful, perhaps naive and eventually wise as he attempts to The characters in the third Bahrani film are more nuanced that his previous, very good, efforts. Red West plays a man trying to distance himself from the world and Savane is wonderful, perhaps naive and eventually wise as he attempts to break through West's character's tough exterior. Bahrani doesn't tie up all the loose ends -- that way you still think about the characters days after you've seen the movie. We're still talking about the movie three days later. If you want cotton candy, go see Confessions of a Shopaholic. If you want one of the best character studies in film since Magnolia, go see this movie! Collapse
FilmJMay 4, 2009
Few films rise above the white noise of the indie film world to actually standout as something remarkable and worth watching. I would make this compulsory viewing for all students in film making 101. No budget. No Stars. Make something wonderful.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
JimFMay 7, 2009
"Goodbye Solo" is reminiscent of the cinema verite of films like "The Bicycle Thief" and "The White Balloon", but the template that Bahrani and his screenwriter use, from Kiorastami's "A Taste of Cherry" , seems in conflict with the "Goodbye Solo" is reminiscent of the cinema verite of films like "The Bicycle Thief" and "The White Balloon", but the template that Bahrani and his screenwriter use, from Kiorastami's "A Taste of Cherry" , seems in conflict with the natural direction the performers want to take the material, and the use of a plot element in the form of a found notebook near the end intended to explain what the film wisely leaves unsaid, is both contrived and implausible. That said, the performances, particularly the two leads and an engaging young Hispanic girl, are among the most captivating in recent memory, giving the film a charm and humanity that make it well worth seeing. Expand
annmJul 31, 2009
Very human - this is the way I hope people are.
EvanS.Sep 15, 2009
We've become so desynthezied by Hollywood schlock that we have no idea that a film can be as soulfood and good as this one.
desmondp.Sep 16, 2009
Did not really work for me. The sitiation is so highly improbable and the lead character mumbles his way throuhout the film so as to be nearly unintelligible.
BillRDec 27, 2009
In a word I thought this movie was exquisite. I loved the acting of the two lead actors.