6.9

1. Mar 31, 2012
    I stopped rabidly watching hockey around the mid-90's - after the Rangers/Devil's went back-to-back. I know they've toned down the violence since then, so it's great looking back on this style of hockey, with the talent and the enforcer going hand-in-hand. For me, it was Gretzky - McSorely . Seann William Scott doesn't have to stretch for this role, but he's damned funny. What was unexpected is the strength and comedic contributions of the supporting cast - especially his teammates. They're hilarious. The bottom line is that this is no high-art sports movie like Breaking Away. It's FUN, and I couldn't stop laughing. The romantic slice is handled nicely as well, with the drummer from Sex Bob-omb doing a nice job as the girl who appreciates the blood & guts of minor league hockey and who appreciates the innocence & sincerity of her tough-guy suitor. Collapse
  2. Jun 22, 2012
    A sports comedy not just for sports fans. From beginning to end you will be laughing, and the laughs are consistent throughout the film. It has directing and awesome fight scenes. And amazing writing. But the stand out for me would be the acting. Especially Seann William Scott, who is just a loveable naive fighting machine. He plays Doug Glatt so well that you actually forget that the character he is famous for is Stifler. The supporting cast is also great, some stand outs are the Rusian brothers, David Lawrence, Liev Schreiber, Kim Coates and Alison Pill. This really is a great comedy. Expand
  3. May 20, 2012
    I'm Canadian, and I can relate to every moment of this film. Maybe others had a tough time relating, but I've never laughed out loud in a theater that much in my life. SWS plays the super-tough slow-witted nice guy perfectly. I'd like to see him in this type of character as often as possible. It was one of those movies with great moment to moment directing. No part dragged, and the violence was worked just right into the movie. This is my new favorite sports movie. Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2012
    Passion for the sport? There is no passion for the sport here, unless that passion is based upon hate and violence. I am not a fan of hockey, and if this movie is what hockey is about, I never will be. The movie is just violence. It never "becomes" anything else.
  5. Apr 22, 2013
    A very funny movie that's crude, vulgar, and violent but has a huge heart. They did an excellent job with the casting, Seann William Scott is flawless as the main character and the supporting cast does an outstanding job. Despite all the blood and f-bombs there's a sweet side to this movie that makes it all worth while. So if your a hockey fan or just like a good comedy this is a must watch.
  6. Mar 30, 2012
    Though its made with a discernible amount of passion for the sport, a subject treated highly from the filmmakers, "Goon," is a sports dramedy that is less about hockey and all about one finding longing achievement through uninhibited bestiality; an exchange of fists--given and received--with a pack of feeling behind each knuckle-turned, brain-bashing, tooth-flying, slo-mo blood smearing punch. From director Michael Dowse ("Take Me Home Tonight" and "Fubar: Balls to the Wall") and the writer of "Superbad," "Pineapple Express," and "The Green Hornet," Evan Goldberg, "Goon" begins as an interesting spin and deviation from other hockey flicks (namely "Slap Shot"), being gruffly raucous and zany, much in part to hyper, foul-mouthed friend Pat (Jay Baruchel / also credited as a screenwriter), though once he is exited whimsically from the story, the same comic pep is lost. What then transpires is an unrelenting, overextended brawl-fest that is bookended unresistingly by intermitting shots of despair, anger, familial dysfunction and self-induced masochism. Moreover, after the film wrings dry every drop of angst that is felt outside the rink, it has no other stopgap but to resort to the already overdone violence. Only the realistic-looking, greasy mullet and 70's stache Ross Rhea (Liev Schreiber) is even partially enjoyable to follow, outside of ribald Pat; Schreiber fits the part impeccably. As for the protagonist, given this intolerable dullness as Doug, (Seann William Scott) a stammering, ignoramus character, the hockey scenes are, by default, increasingly more palatable. Doug does have his moments of establishing empathy from audiences, but it is ultimately short-lived and is supplanted with more blood from punches. If you are grasping the common theme here, "Goon" is all brawn; it never has, purports to have, or even contemplates for a second about having any brain or intellectual bearings. Overall, it is a language-polluting, mind-vacationing, blood-thirsty, feral baccahanal which harbors its fair share of ephemeral fun and carnality, but doesn't last as long as you might have hoped--or not quick enough--depending on on how you like your time wasted. Expand
  7. Aug 14, 2012
    The films success comes from the attachment and likeability of Doug Glatt. Those going into the film expecting a couple of cheap laughs may be surprised. Although the film has it's share of slapstick humour it also delivers well written dialogue and even a little suspense. Doug Glatt may not have to much of a brain but this film sure does. I haven't had this much fun in this type of movie since kick ass. Expand
  8. Jun 8, 2012
    Maybe it was because I was pretty intoxicated but I really thought this was hilarious at times. Sean William Scott is one of my favorite comedy actors. Worth 1 buck at a redbox!
  9. Mar 2, 2013
    It's a pretty enjoyable comedy that it definently worth checking out on Netflix. Only bad things I have to say about it is that it's a little predictable at times and Jay Baruchel is incredibly annoying. Aside from that, It's a solid comedy.
  10. Mar 30, 2012
    Wow, incredible comedy film, really the performance of Sean William Scott is really funny, the trama is cool, the screenplay is funny. Goon is an incredible and funny film.
  11. May 2, 2012
    Awesome movie. The highlight of this film has to be Seann William Scott's portrayal of the protagonist Doug Glatt. His character is so loveable, charming, and honorable that you can't help but root for him. The rest of the supporting cast is hilarious, especially Doug's foul-mouthed teammates. Of special note is Doug's rival, the aging enforcer Ross Rhea who plays his role like an old western gunslinger. Their final showdown is so freaking epic, it had me cheering. I don't even like watching hockey and I still loved this movie. See it! Expand
  12. Jun 10, 2012
    In one scene, the educated parents of the protagonist express their disdain for his "hobby" of hockey, especially his role of team thug. He could be a teacher, or something, they protest. The lead then reveals an important truth that all too many people deny: Some of us are stupid, and that is not going to change, but that's okay. And some of us have other talents like physical courage, and that can be valuable too. Expand
  13. Jun 15, 2012
    Oh my gosh.. This movie is absolutely trash.. How did it ever get made. If you want a movie based around hockey with real character development, go straight to 'Slap Shot'. I had to chuckle watching this thing when they attempted to give it some heart in the latter half. It really didn't work. Not much in this film worked. I think the people that gave this movie a positive review are romantic about hockey, and werent objective about the film. Expand
  14. Feb 20, 2013
    Seann William Scott plays a former bar security guard who is enlisted to join a minor league hockey team as someone to beat the living hell out of other opposing team fighters, a 'goon' as the title would state. Definitely something to check out if you have free time. A great sports comedy that isn't a 'Slap Shot', but instead a one-of-a-kind.
  15. Aug 10, 2012
    A violent ode to the hockey goon from Apatow writers Evan Goldberg and Jay Baruchel, this film is funny, with some surprising heart for a sports movie.
  16. Nov 5, 2012
    Sean William Scott is nice, passive and likable. The only problem is this is a comedy and he's not funny the way they wrote him. Neither is anyone else for that matter.
  17. Dec 5, 2012
    Why hadn't I heard of this film before? I absolutely loved it. A perfect sports-comedy full of violence, language, raunch, blood, and heart, the film's most important and resonant feature. The characters are great. I loved the cast; Seann Willian Scott is better than ever. Good script by Jay Baruchel. The surprise comedy of the year for me!
  18. Apr 21, 2013
    Goon flops out oafish quirk that doesn't really work as its main selling point. Poor characterisation and predictable story doesn't improve the situation. The film improves at the half way mark but not in the spectacular way necessary to make it particularly good.
  19. Oct 1, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto, tuvo un buen argumento y buenos personajes."Goon" se destaca por el drama intenso que vive el protagonista en la pelicula.Me gusto la actuacion de Seann William Scott.
  20. Mar 12, 2014
    Lots of comedy added with brutal hockey violence turned out to be way better than I expected. I may not be the only one. It was a riot. A big, fat, hilarious, violent, sporty comedy for any fan of sports, even those that are not fans of sports are sure to find the humor Goon carries right in front of itself.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 25, 2012
    When a film's clich├ęs are so obvious that its cast points them out for you, you've got to wonder how hard it's really trying.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Apr 26, 2012
    Goon is a hoot.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Apr 25, 2012
    Put on your best Southie accent and say it with me: This film is wicked fahwkin' retahded and I loved it.