5.8

1. May 23, 2013
    Finally, a Filipino movie that doesn't glorify gangsters with cheesy action sequences using 1970s camera technology; where the hero is not some guy with nice hair, a lit cigarette, and a couple of side arms; where drama is not expressed by the level of shrieking dialogue performed by actresses playing the part of grieving mothers and wives. No. The drama is revealed in the characterFinally, a Filipino movie that doesn't glorify gangsters with cheesy action sequences using 1970s camera technology; where the hero is not some guy with nice hair, a lit cigarette, and a couple of side arms; where drama is not expressed by the level of shrieking dialogue performed by actresses playing the part of grieving mothers and wives. No. The drama is revealed in the character expressions more than their scripted lines. The setting is as dark as the story being told, and points to a REAL PROBLEM in the human trafficking underworld. This movie delivers a solid plot with unexpected twists and keeps you guessing until the end. Plus, it's always nice to have new or upcoming actors to help us Pinoys get out of the dark ages of movie-making, and start competing on an international scale. Expand
  2. May 28, 2013
    Terrible acting. I really thought this was a Mexican film, but I guess I really don't know my Spanish like I used to. Nothing in this is believable and it reads like a student film from a country just discovering motion pictures.

1. Reviewed by: Adam Nayman
    May 10, 2013
    The overwhelming sense of physical and moral decay could be taken for social commentary, and if Graceland has a flaw, it’s that Morales gradually starts to overstate his case as the movie goes on.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Stamets
    May 2, 2013
    Morales trafficks in familiar formulas of an everyman in a bind with evil men. What sets Graceland apart are the conflicted values of its characters.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Kuipers
    Apr 30, 2013
    While some of the sting goes out of the movie’s hitherto well-executed crime-thriller mechanics, the resolution and aftermath of the hostage crisis still pack a huge emotional wallop.