7.9

1. Mar 1, 2014
    My god this was a horrible flick. It mainly consisted of beautiful filming, heavy breathing, and a dumb as a sponge character. Dr Stone keeps on blithering “I am running out of oxygen” but she just babbles, fidgets and keeps babbling instead of just relaxing and breathing slowly as an astronaut would be trained to do This character was a joke. She could not get out of a public toilet cubicle if she locked herself in it.

The only redeeming character was Matt Kowalski but then there were
    really only two characters in the movie.

I should have just watched Vanishing Point again
  2. Mar 2, 2014
    Better than '12 years a slave'?
    Oscar winner 2014?
    Let's watch it!
    And it was sooooo booooring. Uhh.
    The lauded earth and space sequences - omg, Avatar was much more inspiring in that respect.
    Only the over 70s in the academy jury could like that.
  3. Jul 14, 2014
    Beautiful. Gripping. Stellar. Riveting. An artful masterpiece of a film; the best space film of all-time; will become a timeless classic. This film IS Sandra Bullock.
  4. Mar 23, 2014
    the worst filme I whocht I bort on bule ray 3d and it was not in perst at all not whot I acspected at all wood not reck amend it to eney one.dont bye this film 0.0 ot 10
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    I am shocked how bad this movie is, taking into account all the hype that's in the air. It looks good, but the plot is weak and trivial. Also, for the sake of the plot, science is just ignored in few scenes. How exactly you ask ? Well, picturing wrong the force of GRAVITY is a good example! Btw, the title is very loosely refering to the movie, it doesn't have much sense.
    Again, if you
    like CGI effects and that's good enough you will be happy. If that's not enough, save 90 mins of your life. Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    One of the worst films I've seen. Cinematography excellent but plot was beyond weak! I was waiting for a twist at the end that would salvage something from my hour and a half of viewing but even the end was rubbish! Far fetched, scientific flawed, but acted well and the sound guys did an amazing job also. Weak storyline ruined what could have been - but definately wasn't - a first class film.
  7. Aug 14, 2014
    This is seriously overrated. Some plot points leave questions to the audience but the movie itself is visually ravishing and the cast is, undoubtedly, artistic.
  8. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Growing up in Flower Mound, Texas, I quickly discovered that there was very little to do for a teenager without much money. If you weren't hungry for some fast food or in the mood to window shop, you might as well go home and watch television. Thankfully for me, an AMC Movie Theater opened in Highland Village not even 5 minutes away from where I live in 2007. It is very difficult to try to explain just how many afternoons and evenings I have spent there with friends or family seeing the new hit movie. Visiting there at least every other weekend, I must have spent at least $1,000 since it opened. Seven years of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and by now, I might even be considered an unofficial movie critic.
    So, a couple months ago I heard from some friends and family members about this exciting new film, Gravity. Critics raved calling it the greatest movie of 2013, destined for glory, and certain it would be considered an instant classic for years to come. I was skeptical, but they were right after all, at least about the awards. Just a little while ago, Gravity won Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Best Director at the 2014 Oscars. By the end of the night Gravity had won seven Oscars, an impressive feat. I never thought that the trailer for some space movie with Bullock and Clooney looked particularly good, but by this point I had to see it, and so I did.
    Gravity was one of the most confused and predictable movies I have seen in the last couple of years. The whole idea of the movie for those unfamiliar is that while on a spacewalk, Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) and her team are hit by debris from a Russian satellite that has mysteriously exploded. Unfortunately, Dr. Stone becomes the sole survivor of the impact and must try to get home without help from NASA. This is where things start to get really confusing, as there is almost no explanation as to why no one can help Stone with the establishment of a simple radio communication. But hey, it’s a movie after all so we can look past a basic plot hole. Since the film takes place in the quiet void of space, much of the plot advancement is based entirely off of Stone’s own internal struggle of getting back to earth, and the fear that she might not be able to. However if you were hoping for a main character who is full of life and determined to fight for her life, you’re looking at the wrong movie entirely. Stone apparently has no family or friends and according to her, no one cares if she lives or dies. As if the plot wasn't struggling enough, we now have a main character that doesn’t really want to try to survive and is content to just sit in her spacecraft and wait for the inevitable. Yes, that is actually part of the movie which goes on for about 15 minutes. Earlier I mentioned that not only is the plot confusing, but it’s stupidly predictable. Once you watch the first couple of “close calls” that Stone has, you realize that that’s the entire basis of the movie. Stone simply cannot perform a single task well, so by the last half of the movie, you can accurately predict how events will play out since you know that not only is the main character an incompetent buffoon, but she’s also the luckiest person in existence. That being said, the visuals were interesting and oddly vibrant for such a drab setting. In the end though, I found Gravity to be emotionally stale, entirely expected, and a characterless excuse for some sort of space adventure. I would recommend avoiding this movie altogether, but if you must see it, borrow it from a friend or watch it on the internet. You’re better off spending $10 on a really tasty sandwich, at least that doesn't come with a side of disappointment.
  9. Jul 12, 2014
    Rating this a 10 just to balance out the negative reviews from the people who just don't get it. If any movie warrants this kind of fandom loyalty which I usually don't care for, its this movie.
  10. May 29, 2014
    What we have here is a movie with beautiful visuals; however, the plot attempts to be profound similar to Kubric's films and just cannot hold up.

I still find myself trying to figure out how this movie has won critical acclaim when there are so many holes in the plot line, that it is distracting to think logically while watching the film. This is especially true for science buffs. To
    sum it up, the movie offers cool visuals while functioning on the level of self-importance. If you truly want to see a great space movie, turn to Kubric's Space Odyssey; it is breathtaking. Expand
  11. Jul 6, 2014
    This movies does not deserve a overall score of 96. This movie is nothing more than a pretty roller coaster ride. Outside of the visuals, the script is terrible. C+ movie AT BEST
  12. Jun 9, 2014
    Oh God I got so bored while watching this movie! I mean like stale dialogues and heavy breathing constitutes almost 80% of the film. There were a few good scenes but apart from that it was painful to watch. And no I'm not talking about sympathising with the characters, I mean like real mental pain that I suffered while watching this movie. Performances are so poor that it perfectly complements the overall movie :P Expand
  13. Jun 13, 2014
    Worst Movie of the Decade. Why was it nominated for Oscars in the first place? In understand why they won best visual effects in a motion picture. But Really who enjoys this stuff?
  14. Jul 4, 2014
    Now "Gravity" is truly amazing, but it is only worth watching in 3D and on the biggest screen available. Otherwise, non of its cinematic magic and brilliance will reach You.
  15. Jul 21, 2014
    Hollywood's two most benign actors (Clooney, Bullock) carry no weight and from the outset I so wished the main characters would be sucked into the vacuum of space and obliterated by the black hole that so richly represents their talent.

The infinite depths of space as a back drop to the limited range of the actors and the simpleton script makes for great irony ....Television's 'Lost In
    Space' opening credit sequence had more to say. Expand
  16. Oct 15, 2013
    The cinematography and effects were astounding, and Sandra Bullock does a great job in her role. The more action-like scenes were gripping, and you just can't help but feel fear for the character's that you just met. The director did a great job not forcing suspense, but creating it quite naturally.
  17. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a neat package of a movie but it never achieves any sustained emotion. The back story of Bullock's loss seems strained, implanted into the movie to add drama to a story with plenty of heft already. I just didn't connect with it all that strongly and found it forgettable. IMO, we are still waiting for Cuaron's masterpiece.
  18. Oct 4, 2013
    Certainly a tremendously appealing film in terms of visuals, and it is full of both suspenseful moments and much-appreciated moments of silence in the emptiness of space. However, the film is hindered by some lousy/cheesy dialogue.
  19. Nov 4, 2013
    This movie is every bit as good as it's hyped to be. It was even better than expected. A real thrill ride. I was expecting a very low-key movie with lots of philosophical dialogue...what I got was non-stop suspense and action. After the first few minutes, it has you on the edge of your seat right until the end. Your heart won't stop pounding for 80 straight minutes.
  20. Lyn
    Oct 11, 2013
    Visually delicious; truly amazing special effects. The 3-D experience is engrossing, not just the floating people and elements but the way you almost get used to the stunning outer space views as a backdrop for everything that happens. But I'm sorry: I want to be involved with the characters, too. Sandra Bullock (in yet another bad movie wig!) does OK as a sketchily written woman-turned-superwoman. George Clooney has never been less memorable. Neither lingers in the memory as much as the cinematography does. Expand
  21. Mar 15, 2014
    I'm sorry but this film is overrated. It's enjoyable... But overrated. All it is most of the time is Sandra Bullock breathing. Thats pretty much it. There's nothing much to it.
  22. Oct 4, 2013
    Overall this was a great film one of if not the best of the year. Even without the #D the presentation, atmosphere, and characters more than make up for it. This is a must see movie. You will be engaged the whole time. The great cinemphotography goes a long way in making not just a movie but also an experience.
  23. Nov 26, 2013
    I absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was something different the visuals, sound, special effects, lighting, the story and the drama were the main aspects of the film and the characters were supposed to be ordinary people in a very unusual situation. There are enough films with over the top characters and I thought the performances of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock were fitting with the story.

This film is definitely best watched in a cinema in 3D.
  24. Oct 13, 2013
    Simply stunning. Technically brilliant film making puts you in space as and wonderful writing and acting have you holding your breath along with the characters. An astonishing achievement absolutely not to be missed and should be seen in 3D, which meaningfully adds to the experience.
  25. Oct 18, 2013
    "Gravity" succeeds in being a succinct story told very economically, but directed with a technical know how and precision, that makes it unlike anything else ever committed to screen. Alfonso Cuaron succeeds in creating a sense of wonder and beauty that comes from watching the planet from orbit, but simultaneously the menace of finding oneself without a safety net, and completely lost in a dangerous vacuum. The film also benefits from a fantastic central performance from Sandra Bullock, who is simultaneously vulnerable, fearful, resourceful and dynamic this is truly her best performance ever captured. The wondrous special effects and camera work from Emmanuel Lubezki are unparalleled. The sense of wonder and veracity that is captured by this film make it a veritable classic. Worth watching. Expand
  26. Jan 10, 2014
    A near perfect experience from a director that has brought to us not merely a film but a true accomplishment. Visually stunning, an experience truly out of this world. My only quibble was that even though admittedly there was little to flaw Sandra Bullock's performance, I just did not feel she had the gravitas to carry it the weight of such a grand cinematic achievement on her shoulders.
  27. Oct 6, 2013
    I went in with no expectations. I thought it would be a movie about survival in space and it mostly was. But then I realized how much symbolism there was and began to understand its creators meant this to be much more. I may see it again. Think of the whole thing as a metaphor for a persons psychology when dealing with adversity. I don't think most people got that side of it which is a shame. But even if they don't see it that way it's still entertaining. Look deeper! Expand
  28. Oct 9, 2013
    Lived up to and exceeded my expectations. I am in utter awe of the cinematography and visual effects on this one. Immersive and innovative. A career-best from Sandra Bullock. This was a project of intellect, craftsmanship and dare I say spiritually coming together perfectly as one. I cannot imagine anything topping this for me. I have never seen anything like this, and I'll even sound hyperbolic and say that this will be one of the films that defines our generation. A triumph. 10/10. Expand
  29. Oct 5, 2013
    An outstanding film, I felt as if I were tumbling through space with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Amazing cinematography, visual effects and a moving storyline, along with strong performances, coalesced into a well-told tale.
  30. Oct 5, 2013
    A movie that is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. It has everything cinematography, visual effects, acting, screenplay, music and brilliant direction. This is the best film of 2013 for me.
  31. Oct 5, 2013
    Breathtaking, beautiful, and captivating. This is the best space movie I've ever seen. Stop reading these reviews and go see this movie already. The 3D is incredible, make sure to see it in IMAX.
  32. Apr 4, 2014
    I pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the right button in a shuttle (or whatever it was actually called) despite being labeled in a language she doesn't understand is a little far-fetched, but overall I was absolutely enthralled with the film. This is one I highly recommend, and I give it a 9.9/10-Near-Perfect. Expand
  33. May 17, 2014
    Gravity is instantaneously one of the best SF films ever made. It's wonderfully acted, with a backbone of raw emotion running through it. And it's exciting. Truly, deeply exciting. I can't remember the last time I was biting my nails like I was during this film. From it's groundbreaking direction to it's unparallelled SFX, Gravity is an absolute masterpiece.
  34. Oct 6, 2013
    'd have to disagree with the 10s. I admit it was fairly good but I'd say it was great on aesthetics, but mediocre on plot. It is very comparable to tom hanks Apollo 13, with the difference being that Apollo 13 had a more interesting plot line and many more interesting characters. I've always liked Bullock but honestly it is difficult to believe her and even more difficult to believe Clooney as an astronaut. Yes I'm sure it was very expensive to shoot such realistic space scenes and they were very good but in the end I thought the story was somewhat forgettable. Expand
  35. Oct 17, 2013
    Saw this movie on IMAX in 3D. Maybe the most amazing visuals I've ever seen. The sense of actually being in space was breathtaking. If you've ever dreamed of being in orbit yourself, it's worth the price of admission. The story was a little thin, but it was still fast-paced and compelling until the last frame. So beautiful to look at I know I'll see it again while it's still in IMAX!
  36. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Repetitive.
    The reason why this movie has and 8 for the score is for two reasons: George Cloony, and the special effects.
    Why the movie is repetitive:
    FIrst 30 min: George Cloony gives a great performance, and then gives a cheesy goodbye speech to Sandra bullock, who is a very mediocre actor.
    Middle 30 min: Everything goes to sh*t and there is a loop of the same scene 3 times. It goes like this: Everything is going fine, then something goes wrong, and then the debris comes, and Sandra Bullock saves herself at the last second. This happens at least 3 times in the movie.
    Last 30 min: Sandra Bullock says woof woof to a chinese guy for 10 minutes, and then has a cliche' dream of George Cloony, which allows her to get out of her hopeless situation. Then the movie ends with the typical i-will-push-to-the-end ending, and she arrives on earth as the "only survivor'.
    So typical.
    Pros:
    George Cloony
    Special Effects
    Nice 3D
    Good Directing
    The chinese guy
    Cons:
    Repetitive
    Terrible writing
    Sandra Bullock
    Loops
    The whole movie is filler, this movie could have been half an hour. Its all stretched out.
    Sandra Bullock didnt die.
    A chinese guy that had 10 minutes of audio time gave a better performance than anyone on screen
    There are only two actors.
    Slow
    Pointless
    Spinning
    Heavy Breathing
    George Cloony gave a performance for maybe 20 minutes.
    The whole budget was spent on SFX, and they spent very little for the acting.
    A hollywood sellout movie. Very average and typical
  37. Mar 9, 2014
    Hype hype hype hype hype hype - let it die down a bit then I'll watch it - I thought. Idiot. Forgot the Oscars would dredge it all up again.
    Bit the bullet and sat and watched it. I am finding it hard to compliment this film, or rather which bit was the best of the worst. OK, the effects were OK - the over the top necessity to nudge and re nudge inane objects such as spanners or pipes,
    while in space, just so the effects guys can work on the inertia and movement to make it look, "natural", as if you wouldn't bat an eye but thought it so smooth it had to be real. OTT. Stop it, get on with making the film you idiots, but when you do can you stop making the 3D bits so bloody obvious. If I want to be blown away with 3D, I'll put my shoes on and go look at the real world, maybe actually interact with things, like you know, touching and smelling? However, when watching films, I do not wish to see a floating screw come spinning towards the camera, blurring out the rest of the frame - only for it to mean NOTHING and not even be in 3D (some of us people at the foot of the entertainment equipment ladder just cant afford, nor would like a 3D television thank you) so why waste my time and place 3D film sections in a 2D film. Lets face it, 99.999% of people who watch this film at home will be doing so on a normal TV!
    Emotionless acting, over the top effects for effects sake, absolutely ridiculous physics and other goofs (I read on IMDB after watching), finalised my views that this film did not deserve at least 2 of the 7 Oscars it won....
    Visual Effects, a couple of scenes where the Earth was reflected on the visor of Bullock, the image did not respond as it should when she rotated her head. Just stuck there when it should have twisted. Poor.
    Cinematography, With great power comes great responsibility. With great budgets comes over the top cinematic, long drawn out panorama's of small things progressively getting bigger as they smoothly glide towards the camera in a never ending slush of emotion and "beauty". YAWN. BOOOOORRRING! I could do better with a disposable stills camera.
  38. Mar 6, 2014
    Intense and gripping in every way possible! It's truly one of the best science fiction films in recent years, and Sandra Bullock and George Clooney have done an amazing job in their acting! Simply a masterpiece!
  39. Oct 6, 2013
    This is an excellent movie. Let's get this out of the way first: This movie is all about character development. It's actually a character development movie, first and foremost. If you didn't catch that, you weren't paying attention. The effects were over-the-top amazing. I don't know how they filmed it, and I don't want to know. I felt like I was watching cinematic history in the sense that this movie will probably be remembered for advancing special effects to a new level, the way 2001 A Space Odyssey did in 1968. Also, Sandra Bullock's acting was phenomenal. She really grows during the film.

I also enjoyed the 'homage' elements, i.e., subtle nods to great space thrillers of the past (notably 2001 and Alien).

About the 3D It was the best I've seen. But that's not saying much. Great 3D is still not that good. It was a fun and interesting effect at times, but mainly it was distracting. I was constantly aware I was watching a 3D movie. It kind of reminds me of what it was like when movies first started experimenting with surround sound. The first time you hear a car come up from behind you and sounds whirling around the theater, it's cool. But it wasn't until filmmakers figured out how to blend those effects in seamlessly that surround stopped being distracting and started really enhancing movies (as the sound effects do in Gravity). I can't wait until 3D is so good you don't even notice it.

I give it a 9 rather than a 10 because, while it's a very good movie, it didn't send me out of the theater just dying to talk about what I just saw, the way the really good movies do (like Prometheus). But I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's great movie fun. Go see it!
  40. Mar 7, 2014
    Let's simply make a few points, Pros and Cons Pros: 1. Great Visuals 2. Steady paced does not get boring Cons: 1. SANDRA BULLOCK..same character in every movie she is in, panics in every scene and is practically hopeless 2. Story..very weak and felt they had to fill it with pointless stories to fill awkward silences. 3. Predictable 4. All the stations get destroyed pretty much on the second Sandra Bullock arrives, even though the debris had already circled twice.
    5. Terrible ending

This film is terrible. only good things are the visuals and the pace the movie goes at. if they casted a better female actress who didn't just panic and flap her hands about like in EVERY film she has ever done, this maybe would have been a worthy Oscar winner.
  41. Jan 3, 2014
    The dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable and only casually enjoyable. Instead Cuaron takes this simplistic framework and fills it with relentless physical tension, humbling cosmic scenery, and (most importantly, and most overlooked) a dread-inducing score. The sensation of watching a film that is so visceral yet so filled with physical nothingness is unrelentingly haunting. Clooney and Bullock are on form, but it hardly matters. The symphonic mastery of the action by itself makes this easily the best new film I've seen in months, maybe years. Proof that great movies are really only about entertainment. Expand
  42. Nov 11, 2013
    It's a pitty for such a beautiful movie to be undermined by the useless,tiring chatter The director did a great job with a realistic and beautiful directing- not to mention the cinematography and the actors- and someone for the production spoiled by imposing useless talk and sentimentality.
  43. Dec 27, 2013
    Astonished by the reviews this is garnering. No mention of the fact that it's sentimental bunkum almost totally lacking...gravitas. Would have been much improved if she'd looked up at the end to see two gorillas on horseback looking at her quizzically!
  44. Jan 7, 2014
    Technically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientific gripes, the problems stem with the fact that the film tries to be two things at once, a thriller and a lament on psychology. If youve seen children of men, you will undoubtably see how Curon was forced to make jarring pacing follies. That said and done, one must note what is probably the best score of the year. It is nigh perfect for every scene and moment. The visuals too must be praised as they suck you into each and every moment. Sadly though, like Avatar, this technical perfection lacks soul and good storytelling. This is only magnified by the fact that it's Alfonso Curon we are talking about. Hopefully with the Hollywood cred he's now achieved he will bring us something worth while with his next effort. Expand
  45. Oct 23, 2013
    This film is an eclectic blend of realism and science fiction. Much time, effort and money were spent to recreate the details of the space shuttle, the Hubble telescope, and the astronauts’ spacesuits and gear needed to space walk and do repairs on Hubble, one of many reasons astronauts were sent on shuttle missions. But realism is not always that interesting and sometimes is better suited for documentaries; thus, in order to have an interesting plot, at some point the film had to deviate into the realm of science fiction and throw realism to the winds.

This has caused a flurry of criticism about when and where the film drops its realistic venue and makes up scenarios that are not credible. Marsha Ivins, a former astronaut and veteran of five shuttle missions, has commented in depth, as has journalist Jeffrey Kluger, and my favorite, Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist and director of the NYC Hayden Planetarium, whose enthusiastic tweeting after viewing the film received much media attention.

Some obvious elements that could never occur are evident even to those of us who are not astronauts, such as Sandra Bullock (playing mission specialist Ryan Stone) floating about in a cute, form-fitting outfit that is basically underpants and a tank top, or seeing astronauts crash into structures as they try to grab onto parts of a spaceship while they are hurtling through space at speeds that look like 30 mph. They are miraculously unhurt except for a scratch on Bullock’s face. George Clooney plays astronaut Matt Kowalski, and the chemistry between him and Bullock is one of the best parts of this movie, next to the special effects. The script is presumably recreating the kind of authentic banter that astronauts really would have with each other, as well as the dialogue they would have with the voice of Mission Control from Earth, addressed only by the impersonal name “Houston” (whose voice is that of Ed Harris, which makes sense since he was Houston in Apollo 13).

SPOILER PARAGRAPH: Unfortunately, although Bullock and Clooney are a perfect pair of smooth-talking, unfazed, and brilliant astronauts, Clooney exits the script quite early on, as he detaches his tether from his crewmate so that she can live, which leaves him doomed to float away into oblivion. At that point Bullock’s character reports to Houston that she is the sole survivor of the mission. And from then on Bullock carries the entire film by herself, except for one dream sequence where Clooney reappears briefly. Bullock’s acting requires a lot of gasping, grunting, heavy breathing and many monologues as she talks to herself to maintain her sanity. It is an acting tour de force and will probably win her an Oscar nomination. END SPOILER.

The space shuttles have been retired, and the program was officially ended in 2011. Back in July, I stood next to Discovery at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. It was surprisingly small, almost fragile, and although it must have been cleaned up to be put on display in the museum, the outer shell still showed charred and blackened areas. Discovery did not inspire awe, but looked more like someone’s beat-up Buick that was already 30 years old. Although many missions were completed successfully, two of them never came back, and while standing next to Discovery and staring up at this modest vehicle, it occurred to me that every astronaut who ever flew a shuttle mission took their lives into their hands.
  46. Mar 22, 2014
    I really don't get it. What is the big deal with this movie?? Its probably one of the worst Ive seen ever. Its up there with Starship Troopers 2 & 3 for quality. A movie has to be more than visuals, and behind all the glam of the earth shots there is nothing, maybe the most flimsy plot ever. Neither my wife nor I could sit and watch it, but after seeing al these fantastic reviews I thought there has to be something here. Mid way through I'd decided to watch to the end just for the slimmest chance and hope of seeing Bullock be killed, but had to be content that the movie just ends.

I give it a 2 - 1 for some of the cool effects leading to the meteor strike and 1 for George Clooney who was mildly entertaining for his part.

Confused and bemused.
  47. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anything I will ever suggest anyone to pay to see. Expand
  48. Oct 20, 2013
    This is not just a movie but an experience. Many homages are paid to those that came before. Even "Marooned" is winked at. I do not know why this film would even be released in 2D. The experienced is heightened by a feeling of floating and surviving along with SB and GC. Sometimes minimal dialogue is all that is necessary and this is one. The beauty and danger of space is so well portrayed that at times I was breathless as well. Brilliant. Expand
  49. Oct 27, 2013
    I've been anticipating this film for 2+ years when hearing Cuaron's ambitious intentions for it, and it's worth the wait. Finally a film that utilizes 3D technology, adding without interfering to the story at hand. Cuaron's "Gravity" takes us to a world few have ever experienced, and even fewer will ever experience. See it in 3D.
  50. Jan 3, 2014
    The best movie of the year. Gives the most exciting experience. Performances are extraordinary. The movie that brings you into space where there is no sound and no oxygen.
  51. Oct 13, 2013
    A technical masterpiece by director Cuaron, this will sure wins a lot of Oscar nominations for the technical side of things, namely the gorgeous cinematography and its dazzling special effects. But will they recognize that one thing that really sets this apart in the first place a story about the human spirit, against impossible odds, and how it can rise time and time again......If the Academy does recognize this, then it's a shoo in for other nominations that include Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Director......One of the best film of 2013.... Expand
  52. Dec 13, 2013
    You'll have to suspend many levels of disbelief for this one, but if you can do that, this is one of the most technically proficient movies ever made. You will feel like you are floating around in space, you will feel claustrophobic, you will feel panic. What you will not feel is much of a connection to either of the characters, and you won't feel a connection between them either. "So where do you call home?" Clooney asks Bullock at one point. Oh wait. I have to suspend disbelief again because any astronauts sent up together are going to know just about everything there is to know about each other. They will have trained for months together, attended parties, and so forth, but just suspend disbelief. Satellite chain reaction bullet storms. Suspend, suspend! As someone else posted, this isn't going to be shown in any high school physics classes. But the story is equal parts Apollo 13 and Open Water, and it's thrilling. I'm not on board with the raving critics, this isn't a '10', but it's a solid '8' all the way for pure fun. Check your brains at the door, grab a snack, and enjoy the ride. Expand
  53. Nov 6, 2013
    STUNNING! The visuals are mind blowing The movie feels kinda boring in between.. but all together the story is awesome a must watch you cannot experience this in your pc
  54. Apr 9, 2014
    The negative reviews tend to be from dullards who want to make themselves interesting by criticizing a movie that has been so widely praised, or people who want to critics the movie for not attempting to be what they want it to be.

Instead of criticizing it for what its not though we should enjoy what it is, a 90 minute roller coaster of a sci-fi movie that keeps you on the edge of your
    seat from start to finish. I wouldn't change a single thing about it and haven't met anyone in real life who has truly disliked it. Expand
  55. Oct 4, 2013
    When I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is incredibly beautiful, the simple concept of characters in dire predicament has been crafted so masterfully, it's nigh impossible not to be drawn into this highly inspiring tale.

The visual is undeniably breathtaking. It flows stunningly from scene to scene, the camera shows just the right angle while explosion of color in dark space erupts. The occasional switches to first person view looks very natural, emphasizing the intense solitude, almost in frightening yet utterly captivating way. Graphical effect is clearly one of the best, not only in movie but in all medium; it is gloriously magnificent to witness such stellar value. It takes its time to build up the suspense and it focuses comprehensibly on the extraordinary moments while giving the audience a chance to savor them entirely. I truly admire Alfonso Cuarón from his work in Children of Men, he's a visionary and now he's perfected his craft with excellent editing and screenplay.

Screenplay does a marvelous job of trailing the characters in the gripping struggle for survival. Credits goes to the short list of cast; George Clooney who is charmingly dependable and especially Sandra Bullock who deliver a chilling intimate performance that can freeze the entire theater. She's nothing less than remarkable, she seems a bit withdrawn at first but as she fights through the ordeal, she gradually opens up and ultimately exhibits strengths beyond despair. This is one of rare occasions where a movie almost exclusively relies on an individual's acting, and Sandra Bullock delivers, many times over, taking the audience along in her personal journey. A truly inspiring performance.

The music is harrowingly gripping, almost to the extent of merging with the sound effect. It gives enchanting suspense and even more emotionally engaging at most points. When the visual, music and acting combine together, it reaches a pinnacle of how passionately powerful a movie could be. Its simple yet brilliant concept of living can be universally acceptable to everyone; it speaks to viewers across age, gender or race.

There may come movies that stand above the rest, movies that can restore wonder upon watching them as if you are experience watching big screen for the first time, they may not come often, but Gravity is clearly one such movie. With such elegant visual choreograph and splendid acting, it's a near magical experience.
  56. Oct 6, 2014
    Gravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her self from certain death. Expand
  57. Feb 27, 2014
    Gravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. The acting, essentially Sandra Bullock, is also very good, albeit slightly overrated. While it isn't the movie of the year in my opinion, it is still an exceptional film and one of the few movies I've ever seen that I felt like 3D added something rather than taking something away. Expand
  58. Oct 6, 2013
    Yup, it's good in all the ways folks mention, a technical marvel that will get a pile of awards on that count. I do always appreciate a film that dares to do something different and Gravity takes a few chances such as having a solo character for much of the movie.
    But there are flaws or less than great aspects.
    My complaints are that some of the basics are unrealistic. Every movie today
    has a gratuitous throwing up scene, but there was none here where it would definitely happen. Also, Bullock is neat and clean when she floats out of her suit a la Barbarella and after the ordeal she'd been through that didn't fly. There'd definitely be an excrement bag to discard. And if you've seen the flick, you know she'd have a ton of bruises, if not broken bones due to the impacts she suffered. At least her shoulder would be thrown out right? I think she'd have contusions from head to toe. Her space suit never ripped and no duck (duct) tape was employed. There could have been more of a McGiver element.
    The first hour was quite gripping, but the movie kind of fell apart after that and the ending was particularly lame, no one knew how to wrap it up. But it was fun, go see it.
  59. Nov 21, 2013
    The fantastic visuals and good pacing of this movie manage somehow to outweigh the groan-inducing dialog. Really, the astronauts trained together for six months and never had a conversation about their backgrounds or where they're from? And is it really typical for astronauts to shoot the breeze with Houston or go joyriding in spacesuit in the middle of a critical mission? Still, the visual and special effects in this movie are simply amazing, especially in 3D. Sandra Bullock deserves the praise she's been getting, and the film never gets boring. I enjoyed this and I'm glad I saw it, but I can't help wishing that the banter between Clooney and Bullock matched the quality of the images surrounding them. Expand
  60. Feb 21, 2014
    Great movie and one of the best space survival i have ever see. I think is the best movie Sandra bullock have done and was an excellent performance from her. Gz for this great film you have create guys!
  61. Jul 15, 2014
    Of course it's well made, but one of the great triumphs of Gravity is that it is a non-violent, scientific and enlightening action drama. I challenge you to find an equally exciting, bombastic movie with as much love for humanity's abilities.
  62. Oct 20, 2013
    Travel in India, but I will never miss any chance to experience a cinema-going activity in any exotic locale, not to mention it is Alfonso Cuarón’s GRAVITY, the sensationally topical follow-up to CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10), a firmly prospective Oscar-bait and is on its way to procure an unanimous triumph from both audiences and critics, domestically and internationally, a rare feat which is hailed as the most innovative film in executing the ubiquitous 3D technology after AVATAR (2009, 9/10).

I was at a relatively large 3D screen hall, but if you can find a screen with IMAX plus 3D, which is the quintessential option. The film runs a succinct 96-minutes, at first I found myself a bit distracted by the murkiness of the screen with the clumsy 3D glasses double-glazing my myopic spectacles, one primary reason why I don’t enjoy 3D films on the whole, so as to I didn’t quite adjust myself to appreciate the opening scene, thankfully a belated captivation comes when the debris attacks, this survival tale begins to gnaw at its audience in a very good and exciting way.

Floating in the infinite emptiness, the extremity of terror and helplessness is oppressive and overwhelming, Sandra Bullock confidently and believably pilots us into a journey of wonders, we don’t know what’s the odds here for her to pull it off the miraculous landing on earth, it is her relentless mettle and stamina shock us, inspire us and strike a chord with us. Bullock’s hallmark of underplaying her character’s choppy emotion does a clean sweep to deliver a top-notch impact in spite of a comparatively thin script, it is a tour-de-force performance in her career and a hard-earned honor for an actress who can overcome the glass ceiling to lead a commercially prosperous Sci-Fi fare in her age (what’s more important, she is also a top-billing comedian presently). Clooney serves slickly as the experienced but not-too-lucky astronaut, most of the time he is hidden inside the space helmet and uniform, but generates a wake-up call on the nose when he displays his usual Clooney-esque mien, Cuarón does know what audiences want.

GRAVITY is a ground-breaker, a high-tech adventurer and seeker, and fingers crossed it will eventually give DP Emmanuel Lubezki his overdue golden statue after 5 nominations (divinely shot scenes include the trademark ever-rotating long takes, the resurrection emblem of a fetus inside the uterus, the final victory when she rises out of the sea as a giantess, etc.), maybe for Cuarón and his sterling production team as well (sound department, art production and visual stunt). It is a film beyond everyone’s imagination and it edifies you so much with so little to tell, like an essay, it is concise but cogent, and with a collateral effect to blow your mind.

PS: I am planning a rematch when the picture will arrive at the end of November in China, hopefully in an IMAX screen finally.
  63. Nov 7, 2013
    E um filme bom prende a atenção da gente do começo ao fim .Adorei o jeito como a historia foi contada ,faz agente pensar no que fazer em casos extra-ordinários como o relatado no filme ,e surpreendente
  64. Mar 7, 2014
    Just watched the 3D version on my 55-in LG 3D HDTV and I can understand why the reviews run hot and cold. I give it high marks for the technically challenging and amazing cinematics but lower marks for the pacing of the story, though it was sprinkled with fantastic moments of sheer stress and terror. Films like this just bring home how awesome we are in creating such fantastic cinematic experiences. Whether or not you like the actors or the story's plausibility you cannot help but be in awe of the photo-realistic visuals, you could not ask for a more realistic experience of low-earth orbit space events. I did appreciate that Dr Stone had to struggle for her life even after splashdown, that the screenplay didn't cop out on an easier ending. Will I watch it again, not likely, but the experience was memorable, akin to visiting a high-line museum, it's something you'll do once and be awed but it's not likely to be repeated. Expand
  65. Oct 10, 2013
    Kind of good, but not what I'd call the movie of the year. The pace was rather slow most of the time, horrendous at a couple parts, but at least it wasn't hard to keep up with. The acting was mediocre, and although I must agree the visuals were fairly decent, this is no ground-breaker if you ask me.
  66. Oct 31, 2013
    Great movie. Maybe a little over-hyped, but still great none the less. I think the movie should have been longer at least by half an hour. I give it an 8/10
  67. Jan 14, 2014
    Another standard issue vapid hollywood action movie. They make astronauts out to be a bunch of no talent ass clowns who lose their **** in a crisis. And physics does not work that way. Come up with some more plausible plot twists that aren't completely deus ex machina.
  68. Sep 1, 2014
    One of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances this year. The technology at hand is spectacular on all fronts--no doubt an example of filmmaking in the years to come.
  69. Feb 14, 2014
    Gravity is pure cinematic brilliance. Hugely ambiguous and flawlessly executed. Sandra Bullock carries the film beautifully in what is surely the performance of her career.
  70. Jan 20, 2014
    While the movie has some of the dialogues that are forgetable and its story is not Oscar-worthy, Gravity's cinematography and visual effects will take your breath away since Avatar and this movie will only be loved by people who appreciate its beauty.
  71. Mar 8, 2014
    "Gravity" is perhaps one of the most accurate representations of space. It's powerfully acted, has really excellent visuals, and you just really feel alone. I mean, when you see the shuttles destroyed by the debris and there's no sound, it's really freaky and effective. It's just absolutely brilliant.
  72. Mar 18, 2014
    Fun film on IMAX 3D. Enjoyed the film but found the 2 hollywood actors completely annoying and ruined the experience. Also the director needs to be slapped for some moronic scenes i.e. clooney rinky dinking on his jet pack around the shuttle at the beginning. Worthwhile watching it only once and that is it. All the awards and oscars the film has won is nothing but hot steam, the rich praising the rich. Expand
  73. Nov 11, 2013
    This movie looks just amazing and I think you can say that, aside from animations like Avatar, Up, it's the best 3d film ever made. I'm sure if you dig into it you can find faults with it... like the people here who have given it a bad mark, but COME ON it's absolutely staggeringly well shot that is absolutely gorgeous and utterly compelling.
    Yes it's a very basic plot, yes it's
    ultimately limited by having to have a feelgood factor and some Hollywood crassness, and it stars Sandra Bullock who was a seriously odd choice bearing in mind she's about as engaging as a divorce, but overall, it's so much better than any other space movie sci fi, 'thriller' whatever out there because it feels real and looks and sounds absolutely wonderful. Expand
  74. Nov 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had purposely not gone to too much trouble to find what this film was about. Its obviously a space drama/disaster flick, that was enough to interest me and pay my admission fee.

I had hoped this film was going to be the closest experience to being in space itself. I was very let down. The film never gripped me, made me feel any empathy with the characters, never made me feel any sense of threat, dread, or consequence of what would happen to them.

This film looks (even in 3D) like actors playing people in space, not the immersive moviegoing experience i was hoping for. The whole thing was a miscast for me even before i sat down, that said, i still retained an open mind about the cast. The acting was about as wooden as it comes (for the record i think clooney is a great actor in the right part, Bullock, sorry ive yet to see her in anything remotely good) and the script is at times cringeworthy. For example Bullocks eenie, meenie, minie, moe button pressing when her life is at stake was pathetic.

The visuals could not save this heap of rubbish, although the destruction of the ISS was the only positive i could find in the film viewing wise.

In a nutshell, overhyped tat with no real purpose, meaning or substance.

Oh, one last thing, how convenient that when Bullock lands back on earth she is mere metres away from the nearest beach.
  75. Feb 26, 2014
    This was alot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean, what could happen in space that would keep me interested. Well, despite that there was quite a bit of suspense and impossiblities was more than enough to keep me interested. And although i am not a Sandra Bullock fan, she was atleast believable in her role, while Clooney was not outside his "normal" typecast.
  76. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gravity delivers A++ visual appeal driven by what must be cutting edge CGI and cinematography. The art probably needs some new words to describe the techniques on display here. I have no regrets for having shelled out to see this on a big screen. It looks great.

But apart from all the spectacularism, sadly this is a mangy dog of a movie. Clooney is wasted in this miscast role. Why is he here? He seems bored by his own "acting", which is nothing but his usual "I am a playful scamp but I am also so wise" routine. George Cool is so cool he doesn't bat an eye or raise his voice a whit when it is time for his character to voluntarily (and conveniently) float off into the void. Plenty of other actors could have brought a needed edginess to the role.

The implausible story line is razor thin and the maudlin dialog has all the flair of box of rocks.

How lucky for us that Bullock's character could never stop talking to herself! What the filmmakers hoped would come off as be nervous chatter sounds like the clunky exposition that it is. Despite that, Bullock's over-earnest performance manages to rise to the level of barely decent, which is really something considering she had so little to work with.

Critiques of the conveniently flawed physics and flawed technology of space travel in Gravity are abundant, so let's not rehash all that. Except for my personal favorite!! Bullock's character gets to the Soyuz capsule and needs to go outside to cut the ropes. What does she find? A Russian spacesuit that is perfectly tailored for her body!! What are the odds of that???
  77. Mar 14, 2014
    Cinematically beautiful and tense. Gravity is a very exciting film to watch. It's one of those movies that will have you hooked until the end. Bullock and Clooney did adequate jobs in their respective roles. The only problems with this film are that the writing could have been done better. The main example of a way that it could have been better done is in the scene where Clooney reappears. He reappears in a guardian angle-like way and this scene is a large failing in a movie that done in a very real and tangible way up to this point. That being said there were no major flaws in the film just pieces that should have been touched up that could have made it flawless. Expand
  78. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stole the show completely for me. He was phenomenal in this film. Certainly worthy of the Oscars it could receive for direction and others, but leave the acting ones for some of the better performances of the year, in my opinion. Expand
  79. Apr 18, 2014
    The film doesn't take long to kick off its survival and tense theme by delivering stunning effects and shots of Earth. The entire film is compacted with suspense and I must say this is the first time I have seen an effective film with only two characters that manages to keep you hooked for the entire running time. There isn't much to its story - just a human wanting to get back to Earth - but the haunting soundtrack and picture bring the atmosphere alive.
    Generally, Gravity is a unique and favorably original film which should hopefully inspire a new generation of space-themed movies.
  80. Oct 4, 2013
    It's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition to said scene. Expand
  81. Oct 12, 2013
    The only thing more unbelievable than the scope and quality of this film is how some people seem to be completely unaffected by it. Poetic. That's the word that I couldn't keep out of my brain throughout the duration of this film. Gravity accomplishes the enormous feat of capturing great terror, beauty, and emotion (often simultaneously) by using no more than a single shot or sound. I found this to be such a profound and captivating experience that several times I caught myself tearing up, even when the scene was devoid of any particularly moving dialogue. What the cast and crew have achieved here is at the very least incredibly impressive, and for viewers like me, simply astonishing. It quickly became very clear that the people behind this film have such a deep admiration for life and the universe, and like all great artists, they not only saw what many others did not, but they knew exactly how to get you to see it too. 10/10 Expand
  82. Oct 9, 2013
    Gravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through out the whole film i was stuck to the set my eyes wide open i felt as if i was been punched in the head repetitively over and over again as conflict and more conflict blasted on to the screen, Gravity is a masterpiece their was no dull moments the film just blew me away i was truly amazed. 10/10 would bang, ohh and also the acting was really good besides the main character who in my opinion seemed to be rather board with her acting, this is what it looked like to me anyway, overall it was more the fact that i felt as if i was in space and was truly being challenged to survive it was such a great atmosphere. Expand
  83. Mar 2, 2014
    With such a big-scale production, a plot less thin and predictable would’ve been desirable, especially due to the fact that you need more than just visuals to make a film rewatchable. But there is really no denying that Cuarón has accomplished a most impressive and breathtaking film with Gravity, that should at least scoop the technical trophies at the Academy Awards.
  84. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the trailer, I immediately knew two things. One this is a space survival story, not to dissimilar to Apollo 13 and Marooned. The other was that this film relied on immersion (a feature of cinematography, music and actors being able to express body language), and visual effects. Not a big fan of those movies since they tend to use such features to cover poor plots, character and story. Gravity basically fulfilled my expectations.

The movie is gorgeous visually. The CGI is impressive, and the camera work features continuous shots and a sense that you really are an observer in space looking at the characters. When action sequences occur, most of the camera work tends to be "outside looking in", but there are a few shots that rely on First-person view, or shots that pan to show impending danger as if you are part of the story. It doesn't make you feel nauseous, but probably because I wasn't watching in 3D. In interim scenes between action sequences, the camera just focuses on a particular shot for a few seconds, to let the audience catch their breath. Good since the movie actually has very little transition shots that breaks the scenes apart.

Music is orchestral and compliments the scenes well. I don't usually give credit to composers since their work is supplementary to the movie, but the music here works very well. However there are some flaws that I will address later.

Sandra Bullock gives a believable performance, even if we only see it near the end of the 2nd act. You can really relate to her predicament in the situation she was in, and possibly care about her. If you actually focus on her survival story to get back to Earth, then she gave a good performance. But if you want to believe her underlying motivation to return was in part because she learns to let go of the death of her non-existent daughter, then it becomes nonsensical.

Which leads me to the bad parts of the movie. As I expected, story is simple, plot pacing is adequate. But because there is virtually no B story involved, it becomes extremely distracting when the 1st 5 minutes of the movie is spent attempting to put artificial depth to the characters when there was no need to. Why bother about Bullock's supposed daughter? Why bother about how she got to NASA? It has no relevance to the story, and is padding the movie.

Notice I only mention Bullock, but not George Clooney. His character is superfluous. No reason for me to give two hoots at all. Why? Because he plays the stereotypical wise senior/mentor (ala Obi-Wan) and Bullock plays the rookie in space learning the ropes. No depth or originality. And yes, like Obi-Wan, he dies 2/5ths in the movie and reappears as an apparition of Sandra's hypoxic mind in a suicide attempt, driving her to live. This is pathetic. Clooney is wasted here.

And if you think Sandra and George's name on the poster is just to show two principal characters, in truth, they are the ONLY characters in the movie. The rest are just voices. 10 minutes after the 1st action sequence we are shown how 3 crew members died from the debris impacting the Space Shuttle. This is clearly done for the sake of shock factor, and I'm calling it borderline offensive. Because the director never bothered to show me the character's face, why should I bother about them? Only showing their dead bodies elicits any reaction for me.

Note that because of the genre, there is only one type of conflict and tension in this movie; near death experiences. Sure there is the suicide attempt, and the re-entry scene, but every time the music clinches to a climax, it always had to be a near death experience. And this highlights two flaws; monotony of tension and overpowering effects of music. Since Sandra is the protagonist, and there is very little variation in tension, it quickly becomes boring to see her get placed in these scenarios over and over. And since the composer makes the music according to the scene, there really is only one kind of music he can make; that orchestral heart-pounding apocalyptic type. Also, by act 3, probably out of monotony, I felt that the music, and not the scene, that became the driving emotional force of the setting. Almost makes me want to watch Marooned, back in the day where no music, just plain old acting, carried the scene perfectly.

In short, the film performed as well as expected for this kind of film. But it failed to make me a convert. It did not perform above and beyond expectations. And if I follow my feelings I actually felt bored to a small degree. It didn't make me feel like wanting to watch more of this kind of movies. And if you want immersion in a scene without watching this movie, you probably have better luck going to those 4D theme parks.
  85. Oct 11, 2013
    Gravity had me on my seat for a majority of the ride. While some of the action was fantastical, the film captures the loneliness and extremely scary extremes of 'space'. This is not a sci-fi action shooter, wrought with intrigue and good vs. evil. It's an exploration of how thin the life or death line is in such a hostile environment.
  86. Dec 16, 2013
    Cuarón has made what I thought was impossible. Gravity has become one of my best movies of all time. This was by far the best of Sandra bullocks career! Sheer brilliance!
  87. Oct 26, 2013
    this movie is so beautifully awesome, simple and touching... one of the best ever!
    Alfonso has given us the non ordinary suspense about an astronaut trying to survive and go back to earth...
    on the other hand, the visual is stunning, the acting is awesome and mostly, this movie is a WOW!
  88. Oct 13, 2013
    Unlike anything I have ever seen before. And yes, I have seen 2001 a Space Odyssey. Just to see something original in today's market is a treat in itself. This movie it like taking a vacation. That is a vacation from the usual cliches, the usual jokes, the usual plot twists you get in a typical Hollywood movie out today. It is 91 minutes so it is just the right length to tell its story and get you out before you get tired. I really think it was the perfect time any longer and you might of remembered you were watching a movie. People are going to get awards for this one. Expand
  89. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uno sciame di detriti spaziali fa cascare come birilli tutti gli oggetti orbitanti che trova sul suo cammino. Il primo uno Shuttle, fuori dal quale il comandante Kowalski (Clooney) e l'ingegnere medico Stone (Bullock) stanno eseguendo delle riparazioni. Passata la buriana, i due si ritrovano a essere gli unici sopravvissuti e iniziano una corsa contro il tempo e i detriti per cercare di tornare sulla Terra: appoggiandosi prima a una stazione internazionale e poi a una cinese, solo lei riesce nell'impresa dopo che lui si sacrificato per regalarle una possibilità. Il nuovo film del messicano Cuarón un ‘survivor’ spaziale costruito con grande abilità visiva e con una scrittura solida che, specie nella prima parte, fa trattenere più di una volta il fiato. La fantascienza (abbastanza poco ‘fanta’, oltretutto) solo uno sfondo su cui dipingere ammalianti panorami spaziali e raccontare una storia di resistenza umana fino ai limiti e anche un po’ oltre, premiata alla fine da una sorta di nascita a nuova vita attraverso le difficoltà, con Stone che esce barcollando da un lago sconosciuto in una terra all'apparenza selvaggia (e si spera che qualcuno trovi il modo di localizzarla). Ma torniamo fra le stelle, dove pulsa il cuore del film. Le scene spaziali, meticolosamente costruite al computer prima di sovrapporvi i volti degli attori, sono di grande efficacia, tanto da giustificare per una volta e almeno in parte le tre dimensioni: sarebbero però sola decorazione come, tanto per fare un esempio recente, in ‘Upside down’ se la storia, seppur costruita su elementi minimi, non funzionasse a dovere tenendo vivo l'interesse dello spettatore ben aldilà delle immagini. A voler guardare il pelo nell'uovo, risulta più efficace la prima parte, dove interagiscono il logorroico Kowalski e la più riservata (oltre che inesperta) Stone, segnata da una tragedia familiare: quando il primo se ne vola via ad ammirare le stelle, rimane in scena la sola dottoressa che prima con la razionalità e l'addestramento, poi con la forza della disperazione affronta il caldo e il freddo, il russo e il cinese (intesi come lingue) per cercare di tornare a casa. Nei suoi panni, Sandra Bullock offre una prova davvero convincente, dove il ritratto di una donna che trova le energie necessarie nel superamento delle proprie fragilità più importante di pur notevoli esibizioni atletiche che farebbero invidia a Bruce Willis. Al suo fianco, Clooney a parte una breve scena, quasi solo una voce grazie alla quale l'attore gigioneggia un po’ sfruttando la parlantina kowalskiana chissà poi se il nome stato dato a caso o c’è qualche legame con l’omonimo di ‘Punto zero’ mentre dal controllo missione di Houston si fa sentire (poco) Ed Harris, che fu John Glenn in ‘Uomini veri’. Si tratta però di figure ai margini, quale più o quale meno, perché gli unici veri protagonisti del film restano Stone e la limpida visione dello spazio esterno, dove nessuno può sentirti urlare la mancanza di rumore nel vuoto rispettata ma si può vivere, e far vivere, un'avventura emozionante: in novanta minuti ‘Gravity’ non inventa nulla dal punto di vista narrativo (da quello visivo sì, ma, come già detto, non sarebbe abbastanza) ma sa raccontare, senza intoppi o altre sbavature che non siano qualche dialogo un po’ così, una vecchia e bella storia. Expand
  90. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. superb movie! the graphics were wonderful, the scenes were intense, great soundtrack, and the movie scenes were unpredictable! there were characters in there who i thought were goanna make it, and the ending of their demise threw me off! truly a wonderful movie! there will be moments where the astronauts had a hard time breathing in their suits and i realized that i wasnt breathing also! lol thats how strongly the movie sucked me in! you will be immersed in gravity's atmosphere! there will also be moments where you watch the movie with your mouth gaped open and your body will be stiff with tension! the movie gets damn intense! lol my faith in hollywood has been restored! it is now apparantly still possible to make a new good movie in hollywood! lol great job! my only reason why i didnt give this movie a ten was because there were some moments where i felt the acting was stiff and lacked emotion; and although the scenes were intense, i felt like they couldve been even more intense and powerful! ive seen thrillers that truly thrilled me to the edge of my seat!

still a great movie though! i recommed you watch it! truly an immersive experience
  91. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful expierence in iMAX where i watched it in. I didn't had much knowledge about the space at all and with seeing this movie i realised how weird but also how great it is up there. Of course this was not the case for the charaters in the movie which came into big trouble. It's really realistic, beatiful and well acted. Only the end bothers me a little bit and i found it very weird.. just right after the moment she went down in the water and took of her suit she climbed up above.. which is impossible because she was long away from the earth for a long time.. and also the death of Matt didin't get pointed out so clear. You see him for the last time when she let go and when you think about it then of course you know that he's dead.. but i wished there was a view on his part of the story.. but no, he just died. So this movie deservers this well 9 out of 10, it's been a long time since i watched such a good movie like this! Expand
  92. Dec 13, 2013
    Hands down the best movie of 2013. Gravity is a creative and gripping survival film in space, featuring excellent cinematography, intense emotion, scenes that will leave you on the edge of your seat, and well-acting that should get noticed. People, if there's one movie that should sweep the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards, it's Gravity.
  93. Jul 28, 2014
    Gravity will have you reaching for anything you can grab, so you don`t float into space. I went in thinking this movie would be boring, but the found a way to keep it interesting until the very end. Made me feel like I was there,and wishing to be back on Earth.It also has a good message about life in the middle of the chaos.
  94. Jan 29, 2014
    Gravity is one of those few films that attempt to portray the dynamics of outer space as best as it could be. At a running time of only an hour and a half, most of the film concerned the difficulty of the characters to move toward places they needed to be in order to survive. With no friction, the slightest push could set one off on a course taking them far from the home planet.

Sandra
    Bullock delivers a strong performance as a newbie in the field, unaccustomed and uncomfortable with her environment, and she does well. Her every movement is clumsy and awkward. She feels sick, disorientated and panicked. The way she portrayed the character develop from this fearful bereaving person to the strong woman who finally faces reality and understands that while she has been dealt a cruel hand by fate on and off the earth, there's really nothing to do about it than just accept it and then fight for her life with every ounce of strength she has in her body.

George Clooney plays Matt, who is on his last mission. He is a jolly figure who engages in humorous and distracting monologues with Houston. But the strength of his character becomes apparent the moment the apocalypse of that world arrives at their doorstep.

The space-crafts shown are the International Space Station, Hubble Telescope and Chinese Tiangong. The majority of the action takes place around Hubble, where the characters are stationed. As always, the Russians mess up when they blow up a satellite of their own. The debris starts an accidental chain reaction which destroys every other spacecraft in its orbit, returning every ninety minutes to do more damage. The characters have to use this window to make their way without panicking as that consumes more oxygen. Alfonso Cuarón does well in weaving the entire environment in working to kill the characters.

The visual effects were the most believable that I've seen in a long time. The constant was the rim of the Earth, which was a welcoming sight in the wake of the chaos taking place. Tiny water droplets, explosions and debris from destroyed spacecraft were created with painstaking detail and enriched the picture. The effects did not overwhelm everything else and aided in the development of the story. The set design was exquisite, showing the interior of space-crafts, their controls, space suits, floating and drifting spacecraft.

There may be a few inaccuracies but they are quite forgiveable in contrast to the spectacle that Cuarón has created. The script was strong, so was the production design and visual effects. The direction managed to capture the sense of fear and confusion of the characters with some very poignant moments. The vast emptiness of space was constantly reminding everyone by its presence to its claim of being the main antagonist of the film.

Already being compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I can only concur that Gravity rivals that only in the departments of entertainment value, visual effects and its ability to affect mood using imagery and music. The former had a more interesting story while the plot of the latter was conceived to suit the demands of the effects, which isn't actually a bad thing but isn't enough to get the movie in the same league as the classics.

9.5
  95. Oct 4, 2013
    I half expected this movie to be crap simply because I assume movies with near perfect reviews 7 days prior to their release paid for that near perfect review. I will never forget this cinematic experience. It was kind of like watching Avatar for the first time. I am always anal about movie special effects and i'm usually the first to call them out when something is obvious CG. This movie had me thinking, "HOW THE HECK DID THEY DO THAT!" I can only assume that they sent Sandra Bullock and George Clooney to outer space for the filming of this movie. The effects are excellent.

That said, the movie overall was good too, It wasn't all just the visuals. Without spoiling anything, i will say that the plot was great. Visuals excellent. Plot Great. It can get a little taxing since the vast majority of the movie takes place in outer space. I watched it in Imax 3D and after the movie, i had to remind myself that i was still on earth. I wish i could give the movie a 9.5. I'm not so free with my 10's. 10 is reserved for the best movie of my life.
  96. Dec 13, 2013
    While the visuals and special effects of this film were stunning, and probably the best I've ever seen before, what ultimately keeps it from being a masterpiece is the disappointingly thin plot. The first half of the film was very strong, combining beautiful visuals and a lovely minimalist score with pitch perfect tension to create a very authentic sense of both awe and terror. It's the second half of the film where the flaws become very apparent, both in the believability of the events of the plot and the scientific accuracy this film makes a genuine effort to convey. Also, while Sandra Bullocks performance was strong, choosing such big-name actors to play these two characters was an error in casting. This may sound unfair, but having two big names playing the main roles in such a dramatic and otherwise very immersive experience simply took away from the believability and authenticity of the characters, which was very distracting. Additionally, the plot began to wear very thin when it started relying on some very classic Hollywood tropes, which was surprising since the film was otherwise very well-crafted. However, I reiterate: the visuals were stunning, making the film easily worth the admission price. Expand
  97. Jan 18, 2014
    GRAVITY!!!!! this was a brilliant film from start to finish. This film should be viewed in 3D but would also be the same in 2D the acting was great and the movie always kept you at the edge of your seat. overall was just an amazing film 9/10
  98. Jan 3, 2014
    An amazing film.
    The quality of the visuals is outstanding, all of the cast (even if there are only 3 of them) give brilliant performances, the plot may be thin but it's like nothing you have ever seen before and the score is totally immersing. It may not be better than Captain Phillips, but it is still a masterpiece.
  99. Dec 15, 2013
    Gravity is for me, the best film i have ever seen. It is so intense, so emotional, so breathtaking, and so beautiful. I don't know in what world Sandra Bullock dosen't win Best Actress. all the haters
  100. Nov 7, 2013
    [9.0] The depth of Gravity is ironically physical, while its thematic substance is just as strong, if not stronger. For a movie so reliant on computer images and animation, Gravity is so perceptibly conceivable. It physically makes sense, and does so to an extent so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the effects of the film, but you understand them in context. After all, point of view is the sole focus of this movie. Some may argue that the lack of varying perspective can and will hurt a movie, but Gravity's perspective is truly embedded in theme. When stranded in space, one must wonder what freedom really is. Is it removal of physical and materialistic restraints, or is it the ability to choose, and to make that choice through self-determination. Space is physical infinity, and that infinity is unconquerable without gravity. Can you go anywhere in space? Absolutely, but it should be understood that you will never move at the speed that the things around you do. These things move so fast, you cannot grab hold of them; without gravity, they easily slip past you. How can you expect to go anywhere in a realm where all things are physically equal? Where inertia does not apply, and where everything just keeps going, and the only way to change their direction is with force; conscious, voluntary force. It's all too much to keep up with, and in this sense, the freedom that space presents is nil. Its freedom is only to be perceived, not to be had. Its freedom is ideal, and what one ought to strive to attain. An idea that is perfect will indefinitely go wrong in circumstance, and that idea is utopia. Freedom only works when something else works against it. People have to have obstacles, because without obstacles, there is no conflict, and without conflict, there is no purpose for freedom. Gravity therefore, is freedom. It is a restraint that we work against, and we are grateful to work against it. When we do work against it, we flourish, we build civilization, and we do what we were meant to do since the day we came into existence: we survive. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.