Gravity

7.8

1. Feb 28, 2014
    truely "the best overall 2014 movie" since the last one Dr. Ryan Stone was a brainy pass to pass all the test with flying colors. every thing was a 5-star in term of movies. i give the the epic most recommendation is as possible.
  2. Feb 21, 2014
    This is a really good movie and is really well executed.but there is only 3 people in the entire movie and with a budget of 100 million they could have at least showed the shuttle taking of or [spoiler] Sandra bullock being rescued at the end of the movie but after all it is is a really good film and well planned
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Yes it has good special effects, but it disrespects the basic laws of physics, for a movie that is focused in space, it should respect the basic laws, like weight.
    The film has really no story, horrible dialogues. In the beginning of the movie while Sandra Bullock is repairing the Hubble Telescope the other guys are playing around.
    She must had started the mission with less then 15% of oxygen, because right after the rain of debris she had 10% of oxygen remaining, wastes 2% of oxygen in 2 seconds, and survives with 1% of oxygen remaining for almost 10 minutes till she gets to safety.
    I don´t even understand how can this movie be so overrated(Metascore: 96/100), Inception is way better than this "movie" and has worse score(Metascore: 74/100)
  4. Mar 1, 2014
    I thought Ed Wood was no longer making movies because he died. His sequel to Plan 9 from outer space was vastly inferior. The acting, plot and dialogue didn't come close. Plan 9 had actual dialogue not silly women howling like dogs. Whaaa?
  5. Mar 27, 2014
    Just watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistakeJust watched this last night and was rather disappointed. Yes the space action scenes are cool and realistic, but the pacing and the plot leaves much to be desired. It's like a few minutes of "cool" sandwiched in 2 hours of "boring". And don't get me started on the ridiculous idea that the Russians, who have been a spacefaring nation for over half a century will make the stupid mistake of shooting down their own satellite when while it was in the same altitude as several other satellites and the International Space Station is ridiculous. The Russians usually just maneuver satellites they want to "retire" into the upper atmosphere and let it burn or crash to Earth.

This movie didn't make me care whether the main character lived or died in orbit. It was that lame.
  6. Mar 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Characters are not well developed. Plot is lacking. Ryan Stone does not seem well prepared or deserving of her job. She is portrayed as weak and helpless, although she is the heroine of the film. George Clooney's character is overly silly while simultaneously seemingly un-phased by the chaos around him. He under acts, while she over acts. They don't mesh. The seemingly unending chaotic events become so ridiculous, that I expect them to continue even after she lands ( I mean, the water entering the capsule, the heavy space suit); I expected her to get tangled in the parachute or get captured by natives or something. And the attempts to force religion and spirituality into the plot ("I don't know how to pray, because no one taught me")...give me a break. Overall I feel insulted as a movie viewer. As if you can just wow people with the view or something...could have been great...with different actors and a well developed plot....but I am not impressed. Expand
  7. Jul 9, 2014
    A great film with stunning visuals. It is a great watch in 3D on the big screen as you get the full effect and makes you feel like you are there. Average acting with some great dialogue. Bullock does a great job as she is alone for most of the movie and she makes the movie not boring and enjoyable to watch. Some of the best effects I have ever seen.
  8. Apr 29, 2014
    A very intense and riveting film. The FX are incredible. The characters could have used more depth and it needed more emotional impact I thought as well. Still a great flick.
  9. Apr 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sandra Bullock and the special effects are the only reason this movie even got a 1. As a movie that was based on reality, its lack of being realistic is staggering. One of the main actors dies near the beginning. The ending is anti-climatic. How this movie won even one Oscar is beyond me. It was a movie devoid of dialogue for the most part with fancy special effects in space. Expand
  10. May 27, 2014
    Far and away the best film of 2013, and maybe even one of the greatest space films of all time. Alfonso Cuaron shows that he is a brilliant filmmaker, by directing one of the best directed film in a long time. Sandra Bullock gives an amazing performance. And overall, a very good must see film
  11. Jun 9, 2014
    96/100 for this movie? No way. The movie is highly overrated. I mean, it has a lot of good thing, the acting, effect is not bad. The story honestly really isn't something impressing. Personally I think the story is a little boring, but overall It is a good movie, but it is not a masterpiece.
  12. Jul 15, 2014
    As a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect meAs a space travel enthusiast I found this movie to not be correct at all. The likelyhood of the events happening in the movie is completely impossible. The odds of the space station that broke apart being just a few miles away from the I.S.S is completely improbable. Sandra Bullock also used up almost all of her oxygen in a minuted and was left with just 3% of it left and you expect me to believe that she survived for another hour in space before she got to the International Space Station on just that. I think not. The script writers should have payed more attention to the facts before writing these impossible ways Sandra could have survived. Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2014
    With strong acting coupled up with an eerie soundtrack, top-notch directing, a focused narrative and great visuals, it is entertaining, tense and astonishing at the same time. Gravity's huge ambition pays off as a modern classic.
  14. Feb 5, 2015
    Earth to Sandra B

Earth to Sandra B

All the praise for Gravity is pretty much warranted. It's a refreshing and original, almost real-time, almost science-factual, not-too-outer- space thriller. But not enough credit has been given to Sandra Bullock. I've never been a big fan of Ms B. I passed her off as a light-weight Rom-Com ditz with a pretty face. She recently won a Best Actor Oscar for a film I have no intention of ever watching. She's just a tad too airy and fluffy for my taste. But she manages to weigh in with gravitas in Gravity and pull off a harrowing yet seemingly effortless performance. She's in frame for most of the 90 minutes and we never tire of watching her. Above all, and the true mark of a great performance, you can't imagine anyone else playing the role. The part was originally slated for the overrated Angelina Jolie, but i can't imagine Jolie giving it much credibility. Bullock's performance is delicate and well-balanced here, very physical in her desperate attempts for survival, yet intimate and understated, considering the circumstances. I was surprised by the way she carried the movie, alone for the most part (accompanied by Emmanuel Lubezki's glorious weightless and wandering camera floating in and out of close ups and stalking and twirling around her obsessively), talking to herself, trying to hang on to her sanity and maintain her wits to keep alive to return to earth, mind and body intact. She could have pulled it off alone without GQ Clooney altogether. The only other person I can imagine in this role is Jessica Chastain, who has a distinctive edge about her. But Bullock never rubs us the wrong way. She may not convince anyone that she's a brilliant scientist, but she won me over by evoking life's instinctual resolve, and convincing us how precious and precarious life can be. She's nearly 50, a movie actress for more than 2 decades, and still as cute as a button. To her credit, she never attempts to do more than she's capable of. That is, she isn't pretentious or over-reaching. She's sensitive yet comfortable with herself. Assertive yet vulnerable. I'm a Bullock fan now. I look forward to seeing more of her. I trust she will only improve with age. Bravo Sandra!
  15. Sep 7, 2014
    Not only is this movie incredibly boring, it is incredibly inaccurate. I can't believe I actually watched the whole thing. The movie is called gravity, yet the way everything works in relation to gravity or a lack thereof is just plain wrong. How did Sandra Bullock's character become an astronaut? She seems very under-qualified. Also, none of the characters are explored enough to becomeNot only is this movie incredibly boring, it is incredibly inaccurate. I can't believe I actually watched the whole thing. The movie is called gravity, yet the way everything works in relation to gravity or a lack thereof is just plain wrong. How did Sandra Bullock's character become an astronaut? She seems very under-qualified. Also, none of the characters are explored enough to become likable. I know it has great ratings and reviews everywhere, but you don't need to waste your time. Expand
  16. Sep 10, 2014
    We watched “Gravity” last night – 90 minutes of drek. Beyond the special effects, which weren’t that special, the movie was clichéd and flawed from beginning to end. It is a testament to how bad Hollowwood (spelling error intentional) has become at making movies that have some meaning and relevance.
    First cliché, right of the 50s, was NASA’s choice of sending a neurotic female scientist into space. If NASA was hoping that this would help revive interest in supporting space travel, I think they should reexamine their public relations procedures. There was nothing likeable about Sandra Bullock’s character, even after the movie “treated” us to a gratuitous strip tease as she slowly sunk into a near catatonic state (either in sympathy with the audience, or because she was struck with the realization of what she would do to make her career relevant again.)
    And then we have George Clooney as a retiring astronaut on his last mission. To call this a cliché would be cliché. To borrow from South Park, it was hard to see him, even in space; through the dense cloud of smug he seems to bring to every role. His character has seen it all, done it all, knows it all, knows how attractive he is, has something to say about everything- the man is not acting in this role, the man is just having an average George Clooney day.
    Even if you were able to accept that the Russians would be somehow stupid enough to send a missile to destroy a satellite, knocking out all communication satellites (even their own) and destroying the space station they invested billions of rubles in, how can you accept that every other manned vehicle in orbit was somehow able to warn their crews in time and get them down safely except for the most maneuverable one of all – the space shuttle? Again, not a great promotional piece for NASA is the Russians and Chinese could send out the “ABANDON SHIP! “signal before NASA’s vaunted tracking stations should.
    It only gets worse as Clooney drags Bullock to the wreck of their shuttle, so we can see lovely floating shots of dead people we never meet (it might have been a nice idea to do a few establishing shots in the shuttle), but who I felt more sympathy toward than the two nut cases floating in space.
    Then Clooney drags her off to the space stations. On the way Bullock’s neurotic character manages to waste all her oxygen – even Clooney’s smug can’t stop that from happening. When they get to the station she manages to get herself in a tangle, but not enough of a tangle to save Clooney, who “gallantly” (read foolishly) unclips himself.
    A pity they didn’t learn from being bounced around, and watching things bounce around, and from the fact that in space all you need is a sight force to move things, that a light tug on their tether would have sent Clooney right into her arms.
    The rest of the movie is predictable. She overcomes the odds, displays her great ability to brood, and makes it to the Chinese escape pod (are you paying attention NASA?). She despairs as there is no fuel to start the engine, and decides to die. The Ghost-of-Clooneys Past comes to visit her, and gives her the solution.
    We are treated to a reentry screen that has all the technical flair of the final scene in “This Island Earth” where the flying saucer comes to a flaming end, without the sympathy for the character that that movie engenders. Bullock’s character survives the watery landing, but is bound and determined to do one more stupid thing, and does it by blowing the side escape hatch off the side of the pod rather than using the one she used to enter the pod on top.
    The results are predictable. The pod sinks. She, weighed down by her suit, has to take it off (there sound track should have at this point should have had strip tease music.) She struggles to shore. The movie at this point should have ended there, but we are “treated” to another soft-core moment of Bullock writhing in the mud.
    She finally manages to struggle to her feet, and toddles off down the beach toward… the sunset, or something, well we don’t know. But the ending did reflect perfectly how I felt about the movie – it just toddled along toward…well, we don’t know. Between the cloud of Clooney smug, the bollocks of Sandra’s performance, and the 1950s B-movie feel dressed up in high tech effects, this movie, like gravity, sucks. Hollowwood should be ashamed of how many awards this stinker won.
  17. Oct 17, 2015
    Another stupid film for the stupid masses. Everybody who has seen the real 3D Imax film about the last Hubble service knows what I am talking about. This film is trash from the first minute. No Astronaut is driving his jetpack around the Space Shuttle like G. Clowny. WTF!? Who came up with that trash and why do people like this trash? Humans are such a disapointment. :(
  18. Sep 20, 2014
    Medical engineer Ryan Stone works feverishly to repair her shuttle hundreds of miles from the Earth’s atmosphere after a catastrophic collision with orbiting debris damages her likelihood of reentry and survival in Gravity.

Watching this movie you want to use terms like cool and awesome because, technically speaking, this movie is magnificent and awe-inspiring to watch. The purely computer generated images of the vast abyss of space, a cusp of Earth’s surface and a gleaming sun astronomically farther away in the background is spectacularly beautiful. With limited knowledge of space and aeronautics, this is about as real as I can imagine, though I know experts disagree – I’m looking at you Neil deGrasse Tyson. Beyond the aesthetically pleasing set design, I find little else in this picture remarkable.

While beautiful, its artistry in scenery makes the film detached and voyeuristic. Gravity starts almost immediately with the collision and has very minimal character development initially. These factors led me to be unable to suspend disbelief and truly immerse myself in the story nor become invested in the main character’s survival. Further, the plot is tired and worn out. Several movies of a similar plot precede Gravity - which is basically a disaster survival story in space (most notably 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apollo 13, among others).

I can’t help but imagine the executives at Warner Bros. and how this film came to be:

We need a hit film, a huge money maker, but something new, fresh!

CGI, its all about that CGI, that’s what sells movies…we’ve just got to take it to the next level!

Yeah, but we’ve done just about everything on earth…

That’s the problem! On Earth…space! Brilliant, and we will make it in Imax, get even more money for the tickets.

Yeah, but we have to get actors that get a huge draw in the box office.

Who is hot right now?

Robert Downey Jr.? Angelina Jolie?

Nah, Jolie has something scheduled already. Downey probably won’t want to do it, he’s too improvisational, won’t be his style.

We could get Clooney? Everybody loves George.

But what about the girl? Who won best actress last year? Jennifer Lawrence? Too young. Meryl Streep? Too old. Natalie Portman? Not likeable enough. How ’bout Sandra Bullock? Sandy will probably do it.

But who is going to take the risk of making this movie? It could tank. Well, he will have to be a relative unknown, but made a hit before, international, so hungry to break into mainstream Hollywood. Alfonso Cuarón? I think he wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up. Isn’t he shopping a script set in space?

And the rest is history…

In all seriousness, the movie never connected with me, while visually brilliant, it is lacking in all other regards. If you are into special effects and the sheer technical breadth of the undertaking of that crew, whom I commend, then I suggest this movie.

More reviews of recent releases can be found at our website.
  19. Sep 22, 2014
    This is literally the WORST movie I have ever been made to watch in my life. In my opinion it is just a really really bad version of Apollo 13. It takes her 10 freaking minutes to grab a wrench!.....3 times!!!!!! You already know exactly what s going to happen before it happens. Extremely predictable. Then, the worst part, after suffering though 3 hours of terrible-ness, it doesnt evenThis is literally the WORST movie I have ever been made to watch in my life. In my opinion it is just a really really bad version of Apollo 13. It takes her 10 freaking minutes to grab a wrench!.....3 times!!!!!! You already know exactly what s going to happen before it happens. Extremely predictable. Then, the worst part, after suffering though 3 hours of terrible-ness, it doesnt even give a legitimate ending! She would have died when she hit Earth and then all of a sudden she walks onto a tropical island Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2014
    "Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The word "stunning" is usually over-used when describing visuals, but it fits here. The visuals in this film were absolutely stunning. Despite the buzz, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie, but it was better than I thought it would be. Sandra Bullock does a decent job and Clooney was overlooked for Best Supporting Actor awards.

The Bad: It is still about a solitary woman floating through space and that is only so interesting. The Murphy's Law got a little old too as everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. That got a little ridiculous. Bullock was decent, but I don't understand all the Best Actress buzz. She didn't do anything phenomenal. Lastly, without trying to spoil the outcome, the end was sort of anti-climactic and I never really felt like the antagonist was in any real danger ... which is odd since she's floating in space with everything going to Hell around her.
  21. Dec 1, 2014
    Resisted watching the flick for a while, because personally biased against both main actors. As expected, both the script and acting were really poor - any high school drama club would have done much better job.
    And what a load of clichés and cheap thrill unloaded to top it off!
    And what a load of clichés and cheap thrill unloaded to top it off!

The reason why I did watch and why I wanted to write the review is the undue praise by science community. This flick is NOT sound scientifically at all. There are multiple mistakes and flaws in logic. To list a few:
    - The GPS satellites could not be taken down by the same event (they are at a lot higher altitude).
    - The sound does not conduct in vacuum, which they stated, but for some reason could not resist putting in the movie.
    - There is a huge misunderstanding of momentum of motion. And after boosters are activated in the Russian pod. Both the pod and Bullock travel at the same speed - there is no way for her to slow down with a little canister of fire extinguisher (to say nothing about the fact that activating booster would not be controllable and landing at Chinese station is virtually impossible).
    - The astronauts do not wizz by around the station and would not be able to float from station to station.
    - In general, there are a lot of childish scenes about the space stations: they can't chat via the microphone after station is destroyed (they are not on cell phones in there). Stoned Sandra would not be able to hack into Russian capsule computer to fool it... or activate Chinese satellite for that matter.

I will give a couple stars for cinematography and for an attempt to stay true to science, but instead of praising this meek stab at sci-fi, people who can think should discard it as a worthless Hollywood fluff.
  22. Dec 3, 2014
    Sorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like woman driver in "Speed". She is so fragile, and not as an astronaut we imagine she should be. I hate her communication with Anqanna (?) and the song, andSorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like woman driver in "Speed". She is so fragile, and not as an astronaut we imagine she should be. I hate her communication with Anqanna (?) and the song, and the dog voice, the baby's voice. It is irritatting my human sense. I hate the role of Clooney and his long boring words. Expand
  23. Apr 5, 2015
    An amazing speed arch down into oblivion, Gravity shatters our imagination with lots of intensive and thematic elements throughout almost the entire film, that by the end I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

The film was chillingly spectacular, though some effects weren't realistic I kind of enjoyed the original IMAX format more than ever, with a superb directing by Alfonso Cuaron and volunteering performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, this is probably will be the first of a new kind of disaster film in a dimension where there is no air to breathe.

I put this in my best sci-fi films list, and will be remembering (and probably also traumatized) the experience I had watching this in my downtown cinema!!
  24. Oct 15, 2015
    Gravity is a fantastic film with visuals that your eyes will feast upon, special effects never seen so good in a film and has some of the most tension filled moments in film my only problem with the film is that sandra bullocks character felt so "movie" if that makes any sense her entire backstory is so cheesy and cliche its hard to take seriously.
  25. Sep 11, 2015
    Amazing visual effects are not enough to save this movie from the awful script and wooden acting.

Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a NASA astronaut does the real life article a disservice.
  26. Dec 18, 2015
    The visuals are kinda nice, but the content is ridiculous. I don't know who wrote this, but he had clearly no freakin idea about space, orbit, physics or gravity for that matter. Nothing in this movie makes the slightest sense.
  27. Oct 30, 2015
    This movie is extremely overrated considering how much praise it gets and how badly it sucks!!
    The only good thing about this film is that it looks good , but that's it. Basically if I wanted to see this I could have watched a documentary about space and I would have seen the same, except in that case I would also have learnt some facts. This film has no plot, nothing happens, Sandra Bullock floats in space, pushes buttons and talks to herself. Her character is an utterly incompetent astronaut, in fact she is also an incompetent human being because she does not have survival instinct. She is totally unrealistic. George Clooney's character has even less survival instinct, in fact he is probably the most ridiculously unrealistic character I have ever seen in a movie. (At least as far as I can remember.)
    This movie is terribly boring, its 90 minutes felt more like 180 minutes. Don't watch this! I can't possibly recommend it to anyone.

[SPOILER:]

I really hoped that some wild animal eats her in the end, like a crocodile in the water or something. It would have been so hilarious and ironic. She survived space but now surprise.. dies on Earth because she has landed at an unfortunate location in the wild. That would have been so nice! LMAO
  28. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a neat package of a movie but it never achieves any sustained emotion. The back story of Bullock's loss seems strained, implanted into the movie to add drama to a story with plenty of heft already. I just didn't connect with it all that strongly and found it forgettable. IMO, we are still waiting for Cuaron's masterpiece.
  29. Nov 4, 2013
    This movie is every bit as good as it's hyped to be. It was even better than expected. A real thrill ride. I was expecting a very low-key movie with lots of philosophical dialogue...what I got was non-stop suspense and action. After the first few minutes, it has you on the edge of your seat right until the end. Your heart won't stop pounding for 80 straight minutes.
  30. Nov 26, 2013
    I absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was somethingI absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was something different the visuals, sound, special effects, lighting, the story and the drama were the main aspects of the film and the characters were supposed to be ordinary people in a very unusual situation. There are enough films with over the top characters and I thought the performances of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock were fitting with the story.

This film is definitely best watched in a cinema in 3D.
  31. Jan 10, 2014
    A near perfect experience from a director that has brought to us not merely a film but a true accomplishment. Visually stunning, an experience truly out of this world. My only quibble was that even though admittedly there was little to flaw Sandra Bullock's performance, I just did not feel she had the gravitas to carry it the weight of such a grand cinematic achievement on her shoulders.
  32. Apr 4, 2014
    I pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the rightI pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the right button in a shuttle (or whatever it was actually called) despite being labeled in a language she doesn't understand is a little far-fetched, but overall I was absolutely enthralled with the film. This is one I highly recommend, and I give it a 9.9/10-Near-Perfect. Expand
  33. May 17, 2014
    Gravity is instantaneously one of the best SF films ever made. It's wonderfully acted, with a backbone of raw emotion running through it. And it's exciting. Truly, deeply exciting. I can't remember the last time I was biting my nails like I was during this film. From it's groundbreaking direction to it's unparallelled SFX, Gravity is an absolute masterpiece.
  34. Mar 6, 2014
    Intense and gripping in every way possible! It's truly one of the best science fiction films in recent years, and Sandra Bullock and George Clooney have done an amazing job in their acting! Simply a masterpiece!
  35. Nov 3, 2014
    After being struck by a debris field astronauts Stone (Bullock) and Kowalski (Clooney) find themselves adrift in space and, with no chance of rescue, they have to somehow find a way back to Earth.

First and foremost Gravity is an incredible technical achievement setting a new benchmark for visuals in cinema. From start to finish it is full of staggering shots and special effects making it impossible to take your eyes from the screen. The script, despite strong performances from Clooney and Bullock, can't quite match the visuals and occasionally becomes a bit too 'Hollywood' but that is only a minor criticism of what is a must see movie.
  36. Mar 7, 2014
    Let's simply make a few points, Pros and Cons

Pros: 1. Great Visuals 2. Steady paced does not get boring Cons: 1. SANDRA BULLOCK..same character in every movie she is in, panics in every scene and is practically hopeless 2. Story..very weak and felt they had to fill it with pointless stories to fill awkward silences. 3. Predictable 4. All the stations get destroyed pretty much
    Let's simply make a few points, Pros and Cons

Pros:
    1. Great Visuals
    2. Steady paced does not get boring

Cons:
    3. Predictable
    4. All the stations get destroyed pretty much on the second Sandra Bullock arrives, even though the debris had already circled twice.
    5. Terrible ending

This film is terrible. only good things are the visuals and the pace the movie goes at. if they casted a better female actress who didn't just panic and flap her hands about like in EVERY film she has ever done, this maybe would have been a worthy Oscar winner.
  37. Jan 3, 2014
    The dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable andThe dialogue in this film is often wryly generic. Not only is this the only potential criticism of Gravity, it's actually (for me at any rate) another subtle positive. Cuaron recognises that his film revolves around a very simple premise: space collisions cause woman and man to hop between frying-pan and fire. If this were staged on Earth (in a boat, in a desert) it'd be predictable and only casually enjoyable. Instead Cuaron takes this simplistic framework and fills it with relentless physical tension, humbling cosmic scenery, and (most importantly, and most overlooked) a dread-inducing score. The sensation of watching a film that is so visceral yet so filled with physical nothingness is unrelentingly haunting. Clooney and Bullock are on form, but it hardly matters. The symphonic mastery of the action by itself makes this easily the best new film I've seen in months, maybe years. Proof that great movies are really only about entertainment. Expand
  38. Jan 7, 2014
    Technically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientificTechnically proficient but lacking in soul. The film is marvelous to behold from an auditory and visual sense, but fail to hold up under artistic scrutiny. Much like Avatar its bombastic and visually stimulating but also fails to capture a core value. The performances are fine but not special, just clooney doing his shtick and Bullock doing an above par performance. Forget the scientific gripes, the problems stem with the fact that the film tries to be two things at once, a thriller and a lament on psychology. If youve seen children of men, you will undoubtably see how Curon was forced to make jarring pacing follies. That said and done, one must note what is probably the best score of the year. It is nigh perfect for every scene and moment. The visuals too must be praised as they suck you into each and every moment. Sadly though, like Avatar, this technical perfection lacks soul and good storytelling. This is only magnified by the fact that it's Alfonso Curon we are talking about. Hopefully with the Hollywood cred he's now achieved he will bring us something worth while with his next effort. Expand
  39. Oct 23, 2013
    This film is an eclectic blend of realism and science fiction. Much time, effort and money were spent to recreate the details of the space shuttle, the Hubble telescope, and the astronauts’ spacesuits and gear needed to space walk and do repairs on Hubble, one of many reasons astronauts were sent on shuttle missions. But realism is not always that interesting and sometimes is better suitedThis film is an eclectic blend of realism and science fiction. Much time, effort and money were spent to recreate the details of the space shuttle, the Hubble telescope, and the astronauts’ spacesuits and gear needed to space walk and do repairs on Hubble, one of many reasons astronauts were sent on shuttle missions. But realism is not always that interesting and sometimes is better suited for documentaries; thus, in order to have an interesting plot, at some point the film had to deviate into the realm of science fiction and throw realism to the winds.

This has caused a flurry of criticism about when and where the film drops its realistic venue and makes up scenarios that are not credible. Marsha Ivins, a former astronaut and veteran of five shuttle missions, has commented in depth, as has journalist Jeffrey Kluger, and my favorite, Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist and director of the NYC Hayden Planetarium, whose enthusiastic tweeting after viewing the film received much media attention.

Some obvious elements that could never occur are evident even to those of us who are not astronauts, such as Sandra Bullock (playing mission specialist Ryan Stone) floating about in a cute, form-fitting outfit that is basically underpants and a tank top, or seeing astronauts crash into structures as they try to grab onto parts of a spaceship while they are hurtling through space at speeds that look like 30 mph. They are miraculously unhurt except for a scratch on Bullock’s face. George Clooney plays astronaut Matt Kowalski, and the chemistry between him and Bullock is one of the best parts of this movie, next to the special effects. The script is presumably recreating the kind of authentic banter that astronauts really would have with each other, as well as the dialogue they would have with the voice of Mission Control from Earth, addressed only by the impersonal name “Houston” (whose voice is that of Ed Harris, which makes sense since he was Houston in Apollo 13).

SPOILER PARAGRAPH: Unfortunately, although Bullock and Clooney are a perfect pair of smooth-talking, unfazed, and brilliant astronauts, Clooney exits the script quite early on, as he detaches his tether from his crewmate so that she can live, which leaves him doomed to float away into oblivion. At that point Bullock’s character reports to Houston that she is the sole survivor of the mission. And from then on Bullock carries the entire film by herself, except for one dream sequence where Clooney reappears briefly. Bullock’s acting requires a lot of gasping, grunting, heavy breathing and many monologues as she talks to herself to maintain her sanity. It is an acting tour de force and will probably win her an Oscar nomination. END SPOILER.

The space shuttles have been retired, and the program was officially ended in 2011. Back in July, I stood next to Discovery at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. It was surprisingly small, almost fragile, and although it must have been cleaned up to be put on display in the museum, the outer shell still showed charred and blackened areas. Discovery did not inspire awe, but looked more like someone’s beat-up Buick that was already 30 years old. Although many missions were completed successfully, two of them never came back, and while standing next to Discovery and staring up at this modest vehicle, it occurred to me that every astronaut who ever flew a shuttle mission took their lives into their hands.
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    I've been anticipating this film for 2+ years when hearing Cuaron's ambitious intentions for it, and it's worth the wait. Finally a film that utilizes 3D technology, adding without interfering to the story at hand. Cuaron's "Gravity" takes us to a world few have ever experienced, and even fewer will ever experience. See it in 3D.
  41. Jan 3, 2014
    The best movie of the year. Gives the most exciting experience. Performances are extraordinary. The movie that brings you into space where there is no sound and no oxygen.
  42. Dec 13, 2013
    You'll have to suspend many levels of disbelief for this one, but if you can do that, this is one of the most technically proficient movies ever made. You will feel like you are floating around in space, you will feel claustrophobic, you will feel panic. What you will not feel is much of a connection to either of the characters, and you won't feel a connection between them either. "SoYou'll have to suspend many levels of disbelief for this one, but if you can do that, this is one of the most technically proficient movies ever made. You will feel like you are floating around in space, you will feel claustrophobic, you will feel panic. What you will not feel is much of a connection to either of the characters, and you won't feel a connection between them either. "So where do you call home?" Clooney asks Bullock at one point. Oh wait. I have to suspend disbelief again because any astronauts sent up together are going to know just about everything there is to know about each other. They will have trained for months together, attended parties, and so forth, but just suspend disbelief. Satellite chain reaction bullet storms. Suspend, suspend! As someone else posted, this isn't going to be shown in any high school physics classes. But the story is equal parts Apollo 13 and Open Water, and it's thrilling. I'm not on board with the raving critics, this isn't a '10', but it's a solid '8' all the way for pure fun. Check your brains at the door, grab a snack, and enjoy the ride. Expand
  43. Apr 9, 2014
    The negative reviews tend to be from dullards who want to make themselves interesting by criticizing a movie that has been so widely praised, or people who want to critics the movie for not attempting to be what they want it to be.

Instead of criticizing it for what its not though we should enjoy what it is, a 90 minute roller coaster of a sci-fi movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. I wouldn't change a single thing about it and haven't met anyone in real life who has truly disliked it.
  44. Oct 6, 2014
    Gravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her selfGravity is a surprisingly good science fiction, and is very tense and realistic thriller. Sandra Bullock's top notch performance as the protagonist Dr Ryan Stone and George Clooney's solid supporting performance as Lieutenant Matt Kowalski, sucks you in to this technical achievement,for the ride, feeling both despair and hope with Dr Stone all the way through as she tries to save her self from certain death. Expand
  45. Feb 27, 2014
    Gravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. TheGravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. The acting, essentially Sandra Bullock, is also very good, albeit slightly overrated. While it isn't the movie of the year in my opinion, it is still an exceptional film and one of the few movies I've ever seen that I felt like 3D added something rather than taking something away. Expand
  46. Oct 6, 2013
    Yup, it's good in all the ways folks mention, a technical marvel that will get a pile of awards on that count. I do always appreciate a film that dares to do something different and Gravity takes a few chances such as having a solo character for much of the movie.
    But there are flaws or less than great aspects.
    My complaints are that some of the basics are unrealistic. Every movie today
    But there are flaws or less than great aspects.
    My complaints are that some of the basics are unrealistic. Every movie today has a gratuitous throwing up scene, but there was none here where it would definitely happen. Also, Bullock is neat and clean when she floats out of her suit a la Barbarella and after the ordeal she'd been through that didn't fly. There'd definitely be an excrement bag to discard. And if you've seen the flick, you know she'd have a ton of bruises, if not broken bones due to the impacts she suffered. At least her shoulder would be thrown out right? I think she'd have contusions from head to toe. Her space suit never ripped and no duck (duct) tape was employed. There could have been more of a McGiver element.
    The first hour was quite gripping, but the movie kind of fell apart after that and the ending was particularly lame, no one knew how to wrap it up. But it was fun, go see it.
  47. Nov 30, 2014
    Visually, this movie is truly amazing. However, everything else is mediocre at the best (ok, Sandra is still a beautiful woman and quite good actress).

The worst problem however is that we (me and my wife) were bored while watching this movie - in a scifi drama like this, it shouldn't happen.
  48. Nov 21, 2013
    The fantastic visuals and good pacing of this movie manage somehow to outweigh the groan-inducing dialog. Really, the astronauts trained together for six months and never had a conversation about their backgrounds or where they're from? And is it really typical for astronauts to shoot the breeze with Houston or go joyriding in spacesuit in the middle of a critical mission? Still, theThe fantastic visuals and good pacing of this movie manage somehow to outweigh the groan-inducing dialog. Really, the astronauts trained together for six months and never had a conversation about their backgrounds or where they're from? And is it really typical for astronauts to shoot the breeze with Houston or go joyriding in spacesuit in the middle of a critical mission? Still, the visual and special effects in this movie are simply amazing, especially in 3D. Sandra Bullock deserves the praise she's been getting, and the film never gets boring. I enjoyed this and I'm glad I saw it, but I can't help wishing that the banter between Clooney and Bullock matched the quality of the images surrounding them. Expand
  49. Jul 15, 2014
    Of course it's well made, but one of the great triumphs of Gravity is that it is a non-violent, scientific and enlightening action drama. I challenge you to find an equally exciting, bombastic movie with as much love for humanity's abilities.
  50. Nov 7, 2013
    E um filme bom prende a atenção da gente do começo ao fim .Adorei o jeito como a historia foi contada ,faz agente pensar no que fazer em casos extra-ordinários como o relatado no filme ,e surpreendente
  51. Mar 7, 2014
    Just watched the 3D version on my 55-in LG 3D HDTV and I can understand why the reviews run hot and cold. I give it high marks for the technically challenging and amazing cinematics but lower marks for the pacing of the story, though it was sprinkled with fantastic moments of sheer stress and terror. Films like this just bring home how awesome we are in creating such fantastic cinematicJust watched the 3D version on my 55-in LG 3D HDTV and I can understand why the reviews run hot and cold. I give it high marks for the technically challenging and amazing cinematics but lower marks for the pacing of the story, though it was sprinkled with fantastic moments of sheer stress and terror. Films like this just bring home how awesome we are in creating such fantastic cinematic experiences. Whether or not you like the actors or the story's plausibility you cannot help but be in awe of the photo-realistic visuals, you could not ask for a more realistic experience of low-earth orbit space events. I did appreciate that Dr Stone had to struggle for her life even after splashdown, that the screenplay didn't cop out on an easier ending. Will I watch it again, not likely, but the experience was memorable, akin to visiting a high-line museum, it's something you'll do once and be awed but it's not likely to be repeated. Expand
  52. Oct 10, 2013
    Kind of good, but not what I'd call the movie of the year. The pace was rather slow most of the time, horrendous at a couple parts, but at least it wasn't hard to keep up with. The acting was mediocre, and although I must agree the visuals were fairly decent, this is no ground-breaker if you ask me.
  53. Oct 31, 2013
    Great movie. Maybe a little over-hyped, but still great none the less. I think the movie should have been longer at least by half an hour. I give it an 8/10
  54. Sep 1, 2014
    One of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances this year. The technology at hand is spectacular on all fronts--no doubt an example of filmmaking in the years to come.
  55. Mar 8, 2014
    "Gravity" is perhaps one of the most accurate representations of space. It's powerfully acted, has really excellent visuals, and you just really feel alone. I mean, when you see the shuttles destroyed by the debris and there's no sound, it's really freaky and effective. It's just absolutely brilliant.
  56. Mar 18, 2014
    Fun film on IMAX 3D. Enjoyed the film but found the 2 hollywood actors completely annoying and ruined the experience. Also the director needs to be slapped for some moronic scenes i.e. clooney rinky dinking on his jet pack around the shuttle at the beginning. Worthwhile watching it only once and that is it. All the awards and oscars the film has won is nothing but hot steam, the richFun film on IMAX 3D. Enjoyed the film but found the 2 hollywood actors completely annoying and ruined the experience. Also the director needs to be slapped for some moronic scenes i.e. clooney rinky dinking on his jet pack around the shuttle at the beginning. Worthwhile watching it only once and that is it. All the awards and oscars the film has won is nothing but hot steam, the rich praising the rich. Expand
  57. Mar 14, 2014
    Cinematically beautiful and tense. Gravity is a very exciting film to watch. It's one of those movies that will have you hooked until the end. Bullock and Clooney did adequate jobs in their respective roles. The only problems with this film are that the writing could have been done better. The main example of a way that it could have been better done is in the scene where ClooneyCinematically beautiful and tense. Gravity is a very exciting film to watch. It's one of those movies that will have you hooked until the end. Bullock and Clooney did adequate jobs in their respective roles. The only problems with this film are that the writing could have been done better. The main example of a way that it could have been better done is in the scene where Clooney reappears. He reappears in a guardian angle-like way and this scene is a large failing in a movie that done in a very real and tangible way up to this point. That being said there were no major flaws in the film just pieces that should have been touched up that could have made it flawless. Expand
  58. Apr 18, 2014
    The film doesn't take long to kick off its survival and tense theme by delivering stunning effects and shots of Earth. The entire film is compacted with suspense and I must say this is the first time I have seen an effective film with only two characters that manages to keep you hooked for the entire running time. There isn't much to its story - just a human wanting to get back to Earth -The film doesn't take long to kick off its survival and tense theme by delivering stunning effects and shots of Earth. The entire film is compacted with suspense and I must say this is the first time I have seen an effective film with only two characters that manages to keep you hooked for the entire running time. There isn't much to its story - just a human wanting to get back to Earth - but the haunting soundtrack and picture bring the atmosphere alive.
    Generally, Gravity is a unique and favorably original film which should hopefully inspire a new generation of space-themed movies.
  59. Mar 2, 2014
    With such a big-scale production, a plot less thin and predictable would’ve been desirable, especially due to the fact that you need more than just visuals to make a film rewatchable. But there is really no denying that Cuarón has accomplished a most impressive and breathtaking film with Gravity, that should at least scoop the technical trophies at the Academy Awards.
  60. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the trailer, I immediately knew two things. One this is a space survival story, not to dissimilar to Apollo 13 and Marooned. The other was that this film relied on immersion (a feature of cinematography, music and actors being able to express body language), and visual effects. Not a big fan of those movies since they tend to use such features to cover poor plots, character and story. Gravity basically fulfilled my expectations.

The movie is gorgeous visually. The CGI is impressive, and the camera work features continuous shots and a sense that you really are an observer in space looking at the characters. When action sequences occur, most of the camera work tends to be "outside looking in", but there are a few shots that rely on First-person view, or shots that pan to show impending danger as if you are part of the story. It doesn't make you feel nauseous, but probably because I wasn't watching in 3D. In interim scenes between action sequences, the camera just focuses on a particular shot for a few seconds, to let the audience catch their breath. Good since the movie actually has very little transition shots that breaks the scenes apart.

Music is orchestral and compliments the scenes well. I don't usually give credit to composers since their work is supplementary to the movie, but the music here works very well. However there are some flaws that I will address later.

Sandra Bullock gives a believable performance, even if we only see it near the end of the 2nd act. You can really relate to her predicament in the situation she was in, and possibly care about her. If you actually focus on her survival story to get back to Earth, then she gave a good performance. But if you want to believe her underlying motivation to return was in part because she learns to let go of the death of her non-existent daughter, then it becomes nonsensical.

Which leads me to the bad parts of the movie. As I expected, story is simple, plot pacing is adequate. But because there is virtually no B story involved, it becomes extremely distracting when the 1st 5 minutes of the movie is spent attempting to put artificial depth to the characters when there was no need to. Why bother about Bullock's supposed daughter? Why bother about how she got to NASA? It has no relevance to the story, and is padding the movie.

Notice I only mention Bullock, but not George Clooney. His character is superfluous. No reason for me to give two hoots at all. Why? Because he plays the stereotypical wise senior/mentor (ala Obi-Wan) and Bullock plays the rookie in space learning the ropes. No depth or originality. And yes, like Obi-Wan, he dies 2/5ths in the movie and reappears as an apparition of Sandra's hypoxic mind in a suicide attempt, driving her to live. This is pathetic. Clooney is wasted here.

And if you think Sandra and George's name on the poster is just to show two principal characters, in truth, they are the ONLY characters in the movie. The rest are just voices. 10 minutes after the 1st action sequence we are shown how 3 crew members died from the debris impacting the Space Shuttle. This is clearly done for the sake of shock factor, and I'm calling it borderline offensive. Because the director never bothered to show me the character's face, why should I bother about them? Only showing their dead bodies elicits any reaction for me.

Note that because of the genre, there is only one type of conflict and tension in this movie; near death experiences. Sure there is the suicide attempt, and the re-entry scene, but every time the music clinches to a climax, it always had to be a near death experience. And this highlights two flaws; monotony of tension and overpowering effects of music. Since Sandra is the protagonist, and there is very little variation in tension, it quickly becomes boring to see her get placed in these scenarios over and over. And since the composer makes the music according to the scene, there really is only one kind of music he can make; that orchestral heart-pounding apocalyptic type. Also, by act 3, probably out of monotony, I felt that the music, and not the scene, that became the driving emotional force of the setting. Almost makes me want to watch Marooned, back in the day where no music, just plain old acting, carried the scene perfectly.

In short, the film performed as well as expected for this kind of film. But it failed to make me a convert. It did not perform above and beyond expectations. And if I follow my feelings I actually felt bored to a small degree. It didn't make me feel like wanting to watch more of this kind of movies. And if you want immersion in a scene without watching this movie, you probably have better luck going to those 4D theme parks.
  61. Oct 11, 2013
    Gravity had me on my seat for a majority of the ride. While some of the action was fantastical, the film captures the loneliness and extremely scary extremes of 'space'. This is not a sci-fi action shooter, wrought with intrigue and good vs. evil. It's an exploration of how thin the life or death line is in such a hostile environment.
  62. Dec 16, 2013
    Cuarón has made what I thought was impossible. Gravity has become one of my best movies of all time. This was by far the best of Sandra bullocks career! Sheer brilliance!
  63. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uno sciame di detriti spaziali fa cascare come birilli tutti gli oggetti orbitanti che trova sul suo cammino. Il primo uno Shuttle, fuori dal quale il comandante Kowalski (Clooney) e l'ingegnere medico Stone (Bullock) stanno eseguendo delle riparazioni. Passata la buriana, i due si ritrovano a essere gli unici sopravvissuti e iniziano una corsa contro il tempo e i detriti per cercare di tornare sulla Terra: appoggiandosi prima a una stazione internazionale e poi a una cinese, solo lei riesce nell'impresa dopo che lui si sacrificato per regalarle una possibilità. Il nuovo film del messicano Cuarón un ‘survivor’ spaziale costruito con grande abilità visiva e con una scrittura solida che, specie nella prima parte, fa trattenere più di una volta il fiato. La fantascienza (abbastanza poco ‘fanta’, oltretutto) solo uno sfondo su cui dipingere ammalianti panorami spaziali e raccontare una storia di resistenza umana fino ai limiti e anche un po’ oltre, premiata alla fine da una sorta di nascita a nuova vita attraverso le difficoltà, con Stone che esce barcollando da un lago sconosciuto in una terra all'apparenza selvaggia (e si spera che qualcuno trovi il modo di localizzarla). Ma torniamo fra le stelle, dove pulsa il cuore del film. Le scene spaziali, meticolosamente costruite al computer prima di sovrapporvi i volti degli attori, sono di grande efficacia, tanto da giustificare per una volta e almeno in parte le tre dimensioni: sarebbero però sola decorazione come, tanto per fare un esempio recente, in ‘Upside down’ se la storia, seppur costruita su elementi minimi, non funzionasse a dovere tenendo vivo l'interesse dello spettatore ben aldilà delle immagini. A voler guardare il pelo nell'uovo, risulta più efficace la prima parte, dove interagiscono il logorroico Kowalski e la più riservata (oltre che inesperta) Stone, segnata da una tragedia familiare: quando il primo se ne vola via ad ammirare le stelle, rimane in scena la sola dottoressa che prima con la razionalità e l'addestramento, poi con la forza della disperazione affronta il caldo e il freddo, il russo e il cinese (intesi come lingue) per cercare di tornare a casa. Nei suoi panni, Sandra Bullock offre una prova davvero convincente, dove il ritratto di una donna che trova le energie necessarie nel superamento delle proprie fragilità più importante di pur notevoli esibizioni atletiche che farebbero invidia a Bruce Willis. Al suo fianco, Clooney a parte una breve scena, quasi solo una voce grazie alla quale l'attore gigioneggia un po’ sfruttando la parlantina kowalskiana chissà poi se il nome stato dato a caso o c’è qualche legame con l’omonimo di ‘Punto zero’ mentre dal controllo missione di Houston si fa sentire (poco) Ed Harris, che fu John Glenn in ‘Uomini veri’. Si tratta però di figure ai margini, quale più o quale meno, perché gli unici veri protagonisti del film restano Stone e la limpida visione dello spazio esterno, dove nessuno può sentirti urlare la mancanza di rumore nel vuoto rispettata ma si può vivere, e far vivere, un'avventura emozionante: in novanta minuti ‘Gravity’ non inventa nulla dal punto di vista narrativo (da quello visivo sì, ma, come già detto, non sarebbe abbastanza) ma sa raccontare, senza intoppi o altre sbavature che non siano qualche dialogo un po’ così, una vecchia e bella storia. Expand
  64. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. superb movie! the graphics were wonderful, the scenes were intense, great soundtrack, and the movie scenes were unpredictable! there were characters in there who i thought were goanna make it, and the ending of their demise threw me off! truly a wonderful movie! there will be moments where the astronauts had a hard time breathing in their suits and i realized that i wasnt breathing also! lol thats how strongly the movie sucked me in! you will be immersed in gravity's atmosphere! there will also be moments where you watch the movie with your mouth gaped open and your body will be stiff with tension! the movie gets damn intense! lol my faith in hollywood has been restored! it is now apparantly still possible to make a new good movie in hollywood! lol great job! my only reason why i didnt give this movie a ten was because there were some moments where i felt the acting was stiff and lacked emotion; and although the scenes were intense, i felt like they couldve been even more intense and powerful! ive seen thrillers that truly thrilled me to the edge of my seat!

still a great movie though! i recommed you watch it! truly an immersive experience
  65. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful expierence in iMAX where i watched it in. I didn't had much knowledge about the space at all and with seeing this movie i realised how weird but also how great it is up there. Of course this was not the case for the charaters in the movie which came into big trouble. It's really realistic, beatiful and well acted. Only the end bothers me a little bit and i found it very weird.. just right after the moment she went down in the water and took of her suit she climbed up above.. which is impossible because she was long away from the earth for a long time.. and also the death of Matt didin't get pointed out so clear. You see him for the last time when she let go and when you think about it then of course you know that he's dead.. but i wished there was a view on his part of the story.. but no, he just died. So this movie deservers this well 9 out of 10, it's been a long time since i watched such a good movie like this! Expand
  66. Dec 13, 2013
    Hands down the best movie of 2013. Gravity is a creative and gripping survival film in space, featuring excellent cinematography, intense emotion, scenes that will leave you on the edge of your seat, and well-acting that should get noticed. People, if there's one movie that should sweep the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards, it's Gravity.
  67. Dec 13, 2013
    While the visuals and special effects of this film were stunning, and probably the best I've ever seen before, what ultimately keeps it from being a masterpiece is the disappointingly thin plot. The first half of the film was very strong, combining beautiful visuals and a lovely minimalist score with pitch perfect tension to create a very authentic sense of both awe and terror. It's theWhile the visuals and special effects of this film were stunning, and probably the best I've ever seen before, what ultimately keeps it from being a masterpiece is the disappointingly thin plot. The first half of the film was very strong, combining beautiful visuals and a lovely minimalist score with pitch perfect tension to create a very authentic sense of both awe and terror. It's the second half of the film where the flaws become very apparent, both in the believability of the events of the plot and the scientific accuracy this film makes a genuine effort to convey. Also, while Sandra Bullocks performance was strong, choosing such big-name actors to play these two characters was an error in casting. This may sound unfair, but having two big names playing the main roles in such a dramatic and otherwise very immersive experience simply took away from the believability and authenticity of the characters, which was very distracting. Additionally, the plot began to wear very thin when it started relying on some very classic Hollywood tropes, which was surprising since the film was otherwise very well-crafted. However, I reiterate: the visuals were stunning, making the film easily worth the admission price. Expand
  68. Jan 3, 2014
    An amazing film.
    The quality of the visuals is outstanding, all of the cast (even if there are only 3 of them) give brilliant performances, the plot may be thin but it's like nothing you have ever seen before and the score is totally immersing. It may not be better than Captain Phillips, but it is still a masterpiece.
  69. Dec 15, 2013
    Gravity is for me, the best film i have ever seen. It is so intense, so emotional, so breathtaking, and so beautiful. I don't know in what world Sandra Bullock dosen't win Best Actress. all the haters
  70. Nov 7, 2013
    [9.0] The depth of Gravity is ironically physical, while its thematic substance is just as strong, if not stronger. For a movie so reliant on computer images and animation, Gravity is so perceptibly conceivable. It physically makes sense, and does so to an extent so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the effects of the film, but you understand them in context. After all, point of view is[9.0] The depth of Gravity is ironically physical, while its thematic substance is just as strong, if not stronger. For a movie so reliant on computer images and animation, Gravity is so perceptibly conceivable. It physically makes sense, and does so to an extent so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the effects of the film, but you understand them in context. After all, point of view is the sole focus of this movie. Some may argue that the lack of varying perspective can and will hurt a movie, but Gravity's perspective is truly embedded in theme. When stranded in space, one must wonder what freedom really is. Is it removal of physical and materialistic restraints, or is it the ability to choose, and to make that choice through self-determination. Space is physical infinity, and that infinity is unconquerable without gravity. Can you go anywhere in space? Absolutely, but it should be understood that you will never move at the speed that the things around you do. These things move so fast, you cannot grab hold of them; without gravity, they easily slip past you. How can you expect to go anywhere in a realm where all things are physically equal? Where inertia does not apply, and where everything just keeps going, and the only way to change their direction is with force; conscious, voluntary force. It's all too much to keep up with, and in this sense, the freedom that space presents is nil. Its freedom is only to be perceived, not to be had. Its freedom is ideal, and what one ought to strive to attain. An idea that is perfect will indefinitely go wrong in circumstance, and that idea is utopia. Freedom only works when something else works against it. People have to have obstacles, because without obstacles, there is no conflict, and without conflict, there is no purpose for freedom. Gravity therefore, is freedom. It is a restraint that we work against, and we are grateful to work against it. When we do work against it, we flourish, we build civilization, and we do what we were meant to do since the day we came into existence: we survive. Expand
  71. Mar 7, 2014
    A film that truly needs to be experienced in the theater. This is technically one of the most impressive movies I have seen and Bullock was great. While I didn't think this was a masterpiece, I was totally along for the ride.
  72. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie is a roller-coaster ride. It's very intense but is hard to understand at times. The 3D effects are absolutely mind blowing and human will to keep going (what all the other critics say) is blatantly obvious. While some of the scenes look kinda bad (the woman astronaut spinning around and around in space looks very much done on a computer) and some are tight (not for people withThis movie is a roller-coaster ride. It's very intense but is hard to understand at times. The 3D effects are absolutely mind blowing and human will to keep going (what all the other critics say) is blatantly obvious. While some of the scenes look kinda bad (the woman astronaut spinning around and around in space looks very much done on a computer) and some are tight (not for people with claustrophobia) the scenes are very well done and carefully crafted. The movie deserves the extremely high ratings, especially from critics. If you like action, watch this movie. Expand
  73. Jul 10, 2015
    A decent suspenseful adventure that falls flat in sequences that admire space in an attempt to say: 'HEY!! LOOK! SPECIAL EFFECTS!!!!'. It was unnecessary and there were many opportunities to admire the special effects anyway in the action sequences, just boring and time filling. This being said, still enjoyable due to the 5 minute sections of incredibly shot action and distress.
  74. Dec 18, 2013
    It seems like such a straightforward story, yet the combination of the special effects, acting, pithy dialogue, and plot made it a truely spectacular film! My only complaint is that the ending (and parts of the plot) are completely unbelievable. But, that's why you go to a movie I suppose!
  75. Jan 15, 2014
    Believe the hype this is an amazing film. It truly is. You may have seen survival films before but not like this. Go see it now.

Unlike many films set in space this focuses on realism. You'll find no aliens in this film, no laser guns and no space battles. Instead this shows us a snap shot of how astronauts working in space, notably the difficulty in operating in a completely hostile environment.

Many people will watch this film and love this visuals especially if seen in 3D. Whilst I agree it looks great in 3D seeing this in 2D would still be impressive. But even if the visuals weren't impressive this would still be a very memorable film.

I was mostly impressed with how space is presented; not as a beautiful, magical area with endless wonder, exploration and potential for adventure (like sailing the seven seas). But instead space is shown to be an environment where the slightest thing changing or going wrong results in death or the threat of death. Even with high degrees of safety and training we cannot control this environment. And the physics which applies to space I've had a concept of but never seen just how different it is to Earth is shown to be a danger itself. WOW.

Onto the characters. There is only two of them. And both do a great job with George Clooney easily portraying the calm, experienced astronaut; Sandra Bullock portraying the technical proficient and capable yet flawed and inexperienced astronaut. Well done to both of them for giving a very memorable performance.

Lastly I want to praise the running time of the film. Too often I see movies which run long because it is seen as best practice. The result is a drawn out story which can loose audience interest and therefore fail to entertain us. At 91 minutes long it absolutely captives you from start to finish. I would rather see a very concisely told story that is only 1.5 hours long than sit through a so-called 3 hour epic which is uninteresting, unnecessarily long and not entertaining in segments (e.g. The Hobbit).

Go see the film of 2013 today.
  76. Jan 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before reading this, i want you to know that I've seen Gravity in 2D (Blueray) yes I'm that guy.
    Gravity is studding visual masterpiece even in 2D, i will definitely watch it in 3D if i had the chance to,
    the Story is a survival story nonetheless and Sandra Bullock acting was over the top,
    However i hated George Clooney, i know he suppose to be the fun factor in the movie,
    but he was terrible, and I'm talking about the performance and the character,
    i mean "I Hope NASA have insurance because there is a lot of damage" seriously?
    and he's out there telling stories and making space jokes, that's totally killed it for me,
    but I'm not gonna judge the entire movie because of a secondary character but i wish he didn't exist.
    The music was beautiful and the whole atmosphere is just remarkable,
    but i was disappointment because of the fact that the movie is one hour 20 minutes
    but overall a wonderful experience and a must watch movie.
  77. Nov 11, 2013
    I saw this film several weeks ago but looking back I find it quite possibly the best new film I saw all year (so far). Of course, presumably there are a number of great foreign-language films from 2013 yet to be released in the USA, as well as any number of your usual end-of-year Oscar bait releases on the way. But rarely have I seen a film as deeply engaging and enjoyable as GRAVITY. MyI saw this film several weeks ago but looking back I find it quite possibly the best new film I saw all year (so far). Of course, presumably there are a number of great foreign-language films from 2013 yet to be released in the USA, as well as any number of your usual end-of-year Oscar bait releases on the way. But rarely have I seen a film as deeply engaging and enjoyable as GRAVITY. My only quibble was that Sandra Bullock's performance sometimes reminded me too much of her character in SPEED. All in all, though, GRAVITY is a truly extraordinary and quite possibly classic achievement in cinematic art. Expand
  78. Aug 23, 2014
    It was an ok movie, very average. Some parts were boring and some were great. The 3d and visual effects were great. Both main actors are veterans so no complaints there.
  79. Oct 6, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical about this movie. When I went to go see it I realized how good this movie really is. O was amazed by the effects and sound. It had very intense moments that will have you at the edge of your seat. The ending was so intense and made me feel like is she going to make it. This is probably the best movie of this year. WATCH IN 3D. trust me 3d makes it so much better
  80. Oct 27, 2013
    This was the first movie that said, "Goddammit!" It also made me squirm, tilt my head, put my hands up from the 3-D effects, and made me interested the entire time. The zero gravity effects were astonishing as well as all the other CGI. The story line was good, nothing spectacular. The acting was great as well. Well done.
  81. Oct 27, 2013
    As everybody knows there are only two actors in the movie and they wear spacesuits and helmets most of the time. Therefore, acting and human interaction are not the key. Personally, I think too much time was given to Sandra Bullock and her dramatic situation. Clooney would have provided some buoyancy and made the movie more interesting character-wise.

If I have to point out one major

If I have to point out one major defect, I found it silly to have Bullock look so good, with no sign of injuries or dirtiness and with her hair perfectly combed. Yes, she was mercifully make-up free, but otherwise she looked like she had just stepped out of her bed after a refreshing night’s sleep.

For me, the film is an ode to the beauty and dangers of space, the only “virgin” territory left to explore. I used to think that being an astronaut was great, but I had to reconsider. Besides, the film is an example of 3D put to good use. The three-dimensional effects worked wonders in most sequences.

We see earth and all the meteorological events we observe from down here, we see sunrise from an astonishing angle, small objects float towards us and we even get the “personal” point of view of gazing through the helmet of one astronaut. The soundtrack was also great, underlying dramatic moments without being too bombastic.

There was also a major technical blunder which you can found out by yourself, but on the whole I must confess I am a sucker for movies set in space where the space is the main character and I got totally lost in this one.
  82. Oct 5, 2013
    So far, Gravity is the best film I have seen this year. Really, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was one of the best films of this year. The story is probably one of the most original and terrifying stories I've seen in a long time. Not only is it something different in the film industry for once, but it gives me the chills that horror games wish they could replicate. It's better hereSo far, Gravity is the best film I have seen this year. Really, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was one of the best films of this year. The story is probably one of the most original and terrifying stories I've seen in a long time. Not only is it something different in the film industry for once, but it gives me the chills that horror games wish they could replicate. It's better here because the fear of being detached in space is real, and it really pulls this off well. The visuals and effects are by far the best part of this film. I'd even go as far to say it's this decade's Jurassic Park in terms of special effects. The film also has excellent performances from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. The both actors do a fine job at acting and expressing emotion in this film. In the end, my only problem is the use of music. The music, while beautifully composed, is used using the formula of getting very loud and suddenly cutting off. it gets really annoying at times, but thankfully this happens only a handful of times. Even if another film surpasses this as my favorite of the year, I still cannot deny that Gravity is a legendary film, one of the best I have ever seen. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good flick. Expand
  83. Feb 3, 2014
    这是一部很美很简单的电影,从画面到情节都很简单,布洛克的独角戏演得不错,配乐不错很渲染气氛。
    但是,这部电影的价值只能在IMAX3D中才可以被释放,只有在那里才可以感受到它的震撼,不然就没什么意思了。
  84. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie is absolutely stunning from the get go. I can't remember ever being pulled into a film so completely and thoroughly, and I don't think I've seen a more beautiful film. Its a pretty intense ninety minutes, with Bullock's character constantly battling one catastrophe after another, and all of it is amazing to see. The plot is pretty straight forward (see it, I won't talk aboutThis movie is absolutely stunning from the get go. I can't remember ever being pulled into a film so completely and thoroughly, and I don't think I've seen a more beautiful film. Its a pretty intense ninety minutes, with Bullock's character constantly battling one catastrophe after another, and all of it is amazing to see. The plot is pretty straight forward (see it, I won't talk about that), but its the way they pull it off that makes it absolutely worth seeing. Thanks to some incredible CGI, great direction, and solid acting, the movie is an absolute must see. I'm normally not a fan of 3D movies (I hate wearing the stupid glasses), but this movie uses it wonderfully and to great effect. I would strongly recommend seeing it in an IMAX theatre if you get the chance if there was ever a movie made for 3d IMAX, this is it. Expand
  85. Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is an enveloping, enthralling, gripping, and unique film. This movie has astounding visuals, but also has a fully realized story and great performances from the two leads. Cuaron's ambition pays off big here, and I hope that this film sets a new higher standard for Hollywood productions.
  86. Jan 11, 2014
    This film was not what I expected - I was actually pleasantly surprised! That doesn't, however, mean it was the brilliant film most have been raving about. The cinematography / cgi work was breathtaking and stood out for most of the film. There was action. Really! And a lot of it! I caught myself on a few occasions glued to the screen, apprehension drawn all over my face. Sadly, my faceThis film was not what I expected - I was actually pleasantly surprised! That doesn't, however, mean it was the brilliant film most have been raving about. The cinematography / cgi work was breathtaking and stood out for most of the film. There was action. Really! And a lot of it! I caught myself on a few occasions glued to the screen, apprehension drawn all over my face. Sadly, my face appeared to have more emotion that that of Sandra Bullock's Dr Ryan. Both she and Clooney (playing the somewhat garrulous astronaut Kowalski) appeared to be going through the motions giving underwhelming performances. As the film progressed the situations Dr Ryan found herself in became increasingly more ridiculous. It all begins with the Russians bombing their own satellite by accident (already, facepalm) creating debris and initiating a chain-reaction of events. And yes, the physics of it all was not as accurate as some might want you to believe. Clichés galore, let's also chuck in a side-story about the protagonist's massive personal loss from her recent past - to make her more approachable? Likable? Believable? Oh, wait, to add the existential dilemma needed for added emotional gravitas to the film! Right….. Yet one would be able to suspend their belief if the dialogue supported it. In this film, it didn't. It was, frankly, quite juvenile at times. This could of been for me the masterpiece others saw had more effort been put in parts of the plot and most of the dialogue (the later being what I'm holding responsible for both Bullock and Clooney's subpar performances). In summary, NOT the innovative masterpiece expected, however a watchable pop-corn movie nonetheless. Expand
  87. Oct 5, 2013
    WoW!!!!! Absolutely loved it. I was so stressed in the cinema that sometime I closed my eyes because I couldn't see S.Bullock suffering so much. Very good movie, with a lot of suspense and action. In addition, it's very dramatic. Go see it!!!
  88. Dec 2, 2013
    This is an amazing movie with some of the best visual effects I have ever seen. It for sure deserves the best visual effects Oscar this year and maybe even best picture. Great acting and movie all around.
  89. Jan 13, 2014
    Gravity is the definition of a perfect movie. It might be boring if you were expecting an action or Sci-Fi movie, but I personally had no idea of what I was going to watch the moment I bought my tickets, then, when I came out from the cinema, I was delighted.
  90. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is indeed very good however it could have had so much more potential (and cultural impact) if it were not made for the mainstream viewers.

When watching the trailers and reading about the movie, I though it would be more philosophical like: What do you do, if you are alone in space, waiting for death with exactly no possibilities to survive? Do you freak out? Are you scared?

The director should have added half an hour (the movie is very short) of just nothing. Floating around in space with no direction, no guidance, no entertainment, no sound. Of course, you cannot bore your viewers in such a way, however, it would have shown how dangerous being alone and miserable can be. In Gravity, this aspect is only picked up in a very superficial way.

tl;dr Instead of making a philosophical, sophisticated movie, the director put too much action in it.
  91. Jan 9, 2014
    Visually amazing but boring as f*ck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  92. Nov 2, 2015
    Brilliant and brave this film has an unorthodox narrative and framework but tells a beautiful story. The two lead actors are phenomenal and the direction is visionary. A different type of movie than the usual fodder. Highly recommended.
  93. Mar 13, 2014
    This is one of the best visually enchanting movies ever made . Meticulously choreographed and greatly acted by Sandra which for me is the best female performance of 2013. Yes the story is simple but is very effective and intense. This is a whole visceral experience . I was with her facing existential dread. This is pure masterpiece .
  94. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Action moments, Amazing quality and Writing. Must watch more than 2 times. Charecters and and a little comedy everything is in right place its 3-D is also worth the price Expand
  95. Nov 29, 2013
    I went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movieI went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movie of that scale. Expand
  96. Nov 2, 2013
    This movie made me lean forward, hold my breath, feel lonely and frightened. Honestly, sitting in a seat following these astronauts made me sometimes a little seasick, but in a good way. The realistic contrast is really coming through the screen, space is not a joke. 91 minutes was all it took to reform my perspective view of space relative to earth. The downsides are not worth mentioning.This movie made me lean forward, hold my breath, feel lonely and frightened. Honestly, sitting in a seat following these astronauts made me sometimes a little seasick, but in a good way. The realistic contrast is really coming through the screen, space is not a joke. 91 minutes was all it took to reform my perspective view of space relative to earth. The downsides are not worth mentioning. 9.5/10 if I could. Expand
  97. Oct 8, 2013
    Best space film I've ever seen with it's stunning and realistic visuals. Gravity takes us and gives us the experience of outer space; the eerie vacuum silence and the feel of claustrophobia while spiraling into unknown with uncertain chance of survival. This is not just a film. This is epic.
  98. Oct 5, 2013
    I had the privilege of seeing the new movie Gravity in 3D on its opening night staring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. I ended up sitting in a perfectly positioned center seat! (Thank you God!) The movie invited me very tenderly... gently into its initial scene, immersing me into deep space with the most beautiful, captivating view of earth I have ever witnessed in my entire life! ItI had the privilege of seeing the new movie Gravity in 3D on its opening night staring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. I ended up sitting in a perfectly positioned center seat! (Thank you God!) The movie invited me very tenderly... gently into its initial scene, immersing me into deep space with the most beautiful, captivating view of earth I have ever witnessed in my entire life! It was simply breathtaking! I truly felt I was in my own space suite working weightlessly side by side other astronauts in this strangely beautiful environment with the space shuttle directly at my feet. What happens next? Oh my goodness!!! You've got to see for yourself! If you have motion sickness, bring your pills... if you like roller coasters with nonstop twists and turns... you have a seat waiting for you! A masterpiece of a movie filled with spectacular cutting edge special effects, incredibly superb acting, a story line that will make you laugh, cry, and even hold your breath! I have one word to help summarize this new film... Wow!!! Expand
  99. Oct 5, 2013
    this is an amazing movie, one of the best movies I have seen in 3D, a different story and incredible, the performances are very good, it has very good visual effects undoubtedly one of the best films of 2013.
  100. Oct 5, 2013
    This the best film i see ever because is a no stop of things happening a long the film and when is finish you estay there to think about the thinghs that happend in the film

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.