7.8

1. Nov 20, 2013
    Few other movies can exploit the empathy the audience is capable of feeling for the protagonist of a movie so well. And when said protagonist is placed in a situation so dire, so desperate, and so lonely, you're with her on the experience the whole way through; and that experience, doesn't have a single dull moment. Simply outstanding.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    It looked great and the script was awful and I could have done without the say hello to my daughter in heaven nonsense which dominated the second half of the movie.
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    Amazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn'tAmazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn't need strong dialogue. Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2013
    GRAVITY Don't Let This Go!
    It's a Visual Paradise. The film transports you to space in every cinematic way possible.
    Sandra Bullock was good, the premise was amazing and your heart will be racing through the whole experience!
    Camera and Direction was innovative
    3Dfx and vfx were breathtaking
    Sound Effects AWESOME!!

Go watch it An experience you won't forget!
  5. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant movie SFX Are Amazing, Acting is Good, Story Is Interesting, Though lacks in Character Development A Little Bit And it's A Bit Short Other than That It's An Interesting movie
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alfonso Cuarón’s intense space thriller Gravity chronicles the struggle of two astronauts to return home when their shuttle is damaged beyond repair by an unprecedented cascade of destructive space debris.

Though undeniably engaging and action-packed, there is an understated atmosphere that comes from the focus on a small cast and their isolation. It’s not pure science-fiction, though fiction allows it to circumnavigate the criticism it has received for scientific inaccuracies. In the absence of any vast treatise on the destiny of humanity, Gravity becomes a contemporary space adventure that is both modern thriller and character drama.

The term ‘shot’ is used loosely here, because the real stars are the stunning visual effects, created in London. What the production team have created is a live action film that is almost entirely and inconspicuously computer generated. Our heroes are inserted into the immersing void above a stunning blue pearl, as they navigate speeding debris, collapsing spacecraft and vast leagues of emptiness.

Cuarón strays into tried and tested Hollywood characterisation with his two leads, the newbie and the veteran. Similarly, the action settles itself in the typical action movie camp, demanding suspension of disbelief from the audience. It’s easy to lose count of the times someone miraculously grabs the very last railing before hurtling off to their doom, but for every time this happens, cinematic karma provides another situation when luck runs out, and their fate appears sealed.

George Clooney appears as Lt. Matt Kowalski, an old space dog enjoying his last spacewalk as he pipes country music through his suit. Clooney’s got the experience: this isn’t his first voyage to the stars, or the first time his ship’s gone down. However, the story really belongs to Bullock, who inhabits her character Dr. Ryan Stone (“my dad wanted a boy”) with emotional intensity.

Stone has none of Kowalski’s confidence, and is terrified when things go awry. We learn she has lost a young daughter, and since then retreated into her research. Cuarón revisits themes of futility explored in Children of Men as Stone must decide whether to resign herself to fate and be reunited with her daughter, or fight desperately for life. With little desire for self preservation, she teeters on the verge of accepting the former more than once.

The tool of her absolution is a symbolic rebirth, explicitly visualised when she removes her bulky spacesuit for the first time and drifts in a foetal position, the cable that tethered her to the ill-fated shuttle floating past as a suggestive umbilical cord. Dressed simply, her vulnerability at this point is reminiscent of Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley in Alien (1979).

Gravity is the latest exploration of how far visual technology has come since the pioneering Avatar (2009). While that film basked in the visual candy of alien flora and fauna, Gravity’s portrayal of the vacuum of space, and the perceived lack of a certain fundamental interaction, invites comparisons with other masterpieces of space on film.

Themes of rebirth and the use of long, uninterrupted shots owe a debt to 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), which is ultimately wider in scope. Though elegance remains in Kubrick’s classically scored wide shots of docking spacecraft, Gravity ups the ante by dynamically moving the camera through these long sequences, swooping around characters and spacecraft to fully exploit the versatile digital environment. Composer Steven Price’s score meanwhile is haunting silence highlighted by thunderous crescendo. Long shots are interspersed with the view from Bullock’s perspective, emphasising disorientation as she spins out of control.

It’s hard to believe 2001 was released 45 years ago when its effects, created sans computer, still appear so realistic. Kubrick achieved weightlessness with strings, while cameras filming from unconventional directions turned the pendulum-like swing into weightless drifting in another axis. The iconic floating pen was achieved by fixing it to a transparent sheet of rotating plastic. It’s a mark of how far effects have come that multiple pens, along with a plethora of other equipment, frequently spin past Bullock as she clambers through space station interiors.

Apollo 13 (1995) eschewed special effects for the real thing, filming aboard NASA’s astronaut training aircraft, the famous “Vomit Comet” which completed hundreds of descents to give the film makers enough time to shoot. Incidentally, another link between the films sees (or hears) Apollo 13’s mission controller Ed Harris reprises his role as the voice of Houston at the start of Gravity. Notably absent in Gravity are the Earth-based back stories and cutaways to Houston’s desperate attempts at rescue exactly the kind of narrative that padded out Apollo 13. When communications go down early in the film, they are completely on their own.
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that IBrilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that I had liked it more. Expand
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    A movie that shows to the public, how a small story can be at same time a big story. Afonso shows us where the human can go and how can go. You have to watch at less 3 times to really understand what Gravity is. Surprised me 9/10.
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    Why is there so much buzz about this movie? It is just a woman breathing into the microphone. The theater audience was half-awake during this movie. I will give 4 points to the stunning visuals in this movie, however.

Summary: Overrated, Boring, Visually Fantastic
    Grade: 36%
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    Sure, there are some scientific inaccuracies in the movie, but last time I checked, I watch fictions to be entertained. And so I was. Greatly. I saw the movie in 3D and, seriously, Cuaron is a genius filmmaker with impressive attention to details. By details I mean the most he can do without risking the entertainment aspect for scientific accuracies.

Sure, it's a little bit disturbing

Sure, it's a little bit disturbing to see how close all the space stations up there are, but I managed to deal with it by just simply assuming it has everything to do with Einstein's relativity theory. Or how it should've been next to impossible for many other things that happen in the movie to actually happen. But then again, this is a very entertaining work of art, smart-ass!
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    Overrated, watched the movie yesterday and it was way below my expectation, don't know why people rate it so high, its pretty basic, acting was good as u'd expect from George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, but the only thing that's great about the movie other than that is the special effects, but that alone doesnt do justice for a movie to be considered great.
  12. Nov 16, 2013
    Terrible, even in 3D with the amazing CGI & soundtrack, I wanted to puke my balls out of my the entirety of this movie. The plot sucked balls, Clooney or however the you spell his name is a chode, and Bullock needs to reconsider her career options.
  13. Nov 16, 2013
    This movie is extremmmmmely boring.....and the story is not nice at all.....it is just a short story being stretch to a length of 91min....Really boring. Furthermore, this movie contains much more educational content than a fictional story content....BUT WHAT I WANNA WATCH IS A NICE MOVIE BUT NOT AN EDUCATIONAL FILM!!!
  14. Nov 16, 2013
    A must see in theaters. Very glad I didn't just wait for this on Bluray! Intense graphics alone are worth the price of admission. Now I'll admit this was a little thin on story but if you want some eye candy go see it.
  15. Nov 16, 2013
    Brilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving ofBrilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving of the flaws.

After I left the theater and drove home I could not put on music or talk radio, I needed let the movie stay in my thoughts, uninterrupted, for a while. Another sign of a great movie.
  16. Nov 16, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see thisThoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see this on the big screen while you still can. Expand
  17. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the trailer, I immediately knew two things. One this is a space survival story, not to dissimilar to Apollo 13 and Marooned. The other was that this film relied on immersion (a feature of cinematography, music and actors being able to express body language), and visual effects. Not a big fan of those movies since they tend to use such features to cover poor plots, character and story. Gravity basically fulfilled my expectations.

The movie is gorgeous visually. The CGI is impressive, and the camera work features continuous shots and a sense that you really are an observer in space looking at the characters. When action sequences occur, most of the camera work tends to be "outside looking in", but there are a few shots that rely on First-person view, or shots that pan to show impending danger as if you are part of the story. It doesn't make you feel nauseous, but probably because I wasn't watching in 3D. In interim scenes between action sequences, the camera just focuses on a particular shot for a few seconds, to let the audience catch their breath. Good since the movie actually has very little transition shots that breaks the scenes apart.

Music is orchestral and compliments the scenes well. I don't usually give credit to composers since their work is supplementary to the movie, but the music here works very well. However there are some flaws that I will address later.

Sandra Bullock gives a believable performance, even if we only see it near the end of the 2nd act. You can really relate to her predicament in the situation she was in, and possibly care about her. If you actually focus on her survival story to get back to Earth, then she gave a good performance. But if you want to believe her underlying motivation to return was in part because she learns to let go of the death of her non-existent daughter, then it becomes nonsensical.

Which leads me to the bad parts of the movie. As I expected, story is simple, plot pacing is adequate. But because there is virtually no B story involved, it becomes extremely distracting when the 1st 5 minutes of the movie is spent attempting to put artificial depth to the characters when there was no need to. Why bother about Bullock's supposed daughter? Why bother about how she got to NASA? It has no relevance to the story, and is padding the movie.

Notice I only mention Bullock, but not George Clooney. His character is superfluous. No reason for me to give two hoots at all. Why? Because he plays the stereotypical wise senior/mentor (ala Obi-Wan) and Bullock plays the rookie in space learning the ropes. No depth or originality. And yes, like Obi-Wan, he dies 2/5ths in the movie and reappears as an apparition of Sandra's hypoxic mind in a suicide attempt, driving her to live. This is pathetic. Clooney is wasted here.

And if you think Sandra and George's name on the poster is just to show two principal characters, in truth, they are the ONLY characters in the movie. The rest are just voices. 10 minutes after the 1st action sequence we are shown how 3 crew members died from the debris impacting the Space Shuttle. This is clearly done for the sake of shock factor, and I'm calling it borderline offensive. Because the director never bothered to show me the character's face, why should I bother about them? Only showing their dead bodies elicits any reaction for me.

Note that because of the genre, there is only one type of conflict and tension in this movie; near death experiences. Sure there is the suicide attempt, and the re-entry scene, but every time the music clinches to a climax, it always had to be a near death experience. And this highlights two flaws; monotony of tension and overpowering effects of music. Since Sandra is the protagonist, and there is very little variation in tension, it quickly becomes boring to see her get placed in these scenarios over and over. And since the composer makes the music according to the scene, there really is only one kind of music he can make; that orchestral heart-pounding apocalyptic type. Also, by act 3, probably out of monotony, I felt that the music, and not the scene, that became the driving emotional force of the setting. Almost makes me want to watch Marooned, back in the day where no music, just plain old acting, carried the scene perfectly.

In short, the film performed as well as expected for this kind of film. But it failed to make me a convert. It did not perform above and beyond expectations. And if I follow my feelings I actually felt bored to a small degree. It didn't make me feel like wanting to watch more of this kind of movies. And if you want immersion in a scene without watching this movie, you probably have better luck going to those 4D theme parks.
  18. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For having George Clooney being such anchor for this movie I expected more George Clooney. Not just ten minutes if him rambling then drifting into space. His name is on the poster after all. I found Sandra Bullocks character incredibly annoying. She kept acting like she had no idea what she was doing then wastes precious air talking to Clooney when she needs to get her bum on the ship. Did she not realize you need air to live? Face palm. Then that weird baby fetal position while he drifts further away. As for the CGI I'm pretty sure the three space stations they blew up were the same station. Very redundant .very predictable. I don't understand what the hype is about, I was incredibly disappointed. Expand
  19. Nov 15, 2013
    The cinematography is magnificent, the movie certainly has tension, Sandra Bullock does some nice body yoga for the men in the audience but honestly, I found myself caught between boredom and panic, fully knowing what would happen in the end yet spooked by outer space. The hallucination scene with George Clooney was my favorite moment. I'm glad I saw it, but wouldn't see it again.
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    Coming here and seeing that the critic's score of this movie is 91 and the one of a movie like "The Green Mile" is just 61 surprised me a lot. A great trailer and then nothing: insignificant characters, repetitive plot, banal ending. Don't waste your time and money.
  21. Nov 15, 2013
    Mejor película del año hasta ahora, tal vez la mejor película de los últimos 20 anos.Junto con 2001: Una odisea del espacio es el mejor espacio película ya en Listo obra Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez la mejor película que he visto en mi vida.
  22. Nov 15, 2013
    Melhor filme do ano até agora, talvez o melhor filme dos últimos 20 anos.Junto com 2001: A Space Odyssey o melhor filme de espaço já feito.A obra de arte de Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez o melhor filme que eu já vi.
  23. Nov 15, 2013
    This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you.This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you. Karma is a biatch. Expand
  24. Nov 15, 2013
    I was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual toI was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual to learn how to fly the thing, how ridiculous, really this movie is a joke, don't waste your money. Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2013
    Gravity is by far the best movie I have seen in years. The special effects ate awesome, the suspense is killer, and the action leaves you stunned. Gravity will earn several Oscars, at least in special effects. And if you do see it, make sure it's in 3D, otherwise you won't enjoy it nearly as much.
  26. Nov 14, 2013
    Implausible plot, implausible characters, weak symbolism. Boring, not tense. Earns a 5 for special effects. Essentially Cast Away in space with less coherent character development.
  27. Nov 14, 2013
    A rather incredible film in all honesty. A wonderful balance of persistent tension and sudden shock, coupled with constantly breathtaking visuals, Gravity would be the perfect film but for the rather cheesy, Buzz Lightyear-type peformance from Clooney.
  28. woo
    Nov 14, 2013
    The special effects really are very good. Sandra Bullock acts well. The storyline is perhaps a little weak, but you are prepared to suspend your disbelief due to the view you get of earth from space. SOme of the coincidences are a little bit Hollywood but overall worth seeing in 3D.
  29. Nov 13, 2013
    The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney)The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney) was so much in a hurry to cut himself free from his co star & become just another piece of floating space junk,i found Sandra Bullocks expertise sadly lacking, not least by her rather amateur attempt at fixing a .malfunctioned circuit board attached to the Hubble Iam sure NASA would not have sent someone into space who had failed miserably to learn the docking & unlocking procedures that might be just needed on such a perilous mission, that said Bullocks role was well acted but.. certainly not Oscar material... Clooneys role for what is was could have frankly been played by any actor,special affects were very good but have been bettered, I found there were hints of the Signora Weavers character Ripely in the far superior "Alien" movie but lets not even go there..,nonetheless not a bad try... but keep your expectations to a minimum 7 out of 10. MJC Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2013
    Gravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but IGravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but I just couldn't imagine anyone in space acting all weird like that. I didn't really care about the characters, but I really care about real astronauts. So that's my feeling on Gravity, watch it with earplugs and make up your own story. It will be a wonderful piece of visual art and a lot of fun. George Clooney is always cool though, I gotta give him props! Expand
  31. Nov 12, 2013
    You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done.You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done. Through Alfonso Cuaron’s accomplished direction the ideas come into fruition and the simplicity of the script is given a grand, new life. Cuaron crafts a staggering tale of survival against seemingly impossible odds, and splices it with spiritual motifs and nods to some classic science fiction films. When a space shuttle is destroyed by debris from a decimated Russian Satellite, the last two survivors of the disaster become stranded in space and are forced to use their wit and will to live in order to return to mother Earth. Sandra Bullock delivers her career best turn as rookie astronaut, Ryan Stone, who faces the brunt of Space’s fury. Her arc as a hero placed in repetitive danger may (or may not) have been a shortcoming of the script, but that question was put to rest by Bullock’s convincing lead presence. Her attempts to overcome one near-death obstacle after another never got boring. George Clooney turns up the charm, and gives his best George Clooney impersonation, as the veteran astronaut who guides our imperiled heroine along the way. This was such a beautifully made film. What Cuaron did to bring this space spectacle to the screen is beyond my understanding; and I’m quite happy just marveling at its wonder. The visual effects are obviously groundbreaking stuff, and if Emmanuel Lubezki doesn’t finally win that elusive Oscar for his arresting cinematography I will lose all hope in humanity. That 20 minute single shot opening scene is enough to earn him the award. Just as elegant as the visuals were the sound designs, sparse musical score and that excellent sound mix that strives for realism. That’s what I appreciated most about this film, Alfonso Cuaron’s attempt at creating a realistic space experience; I was actually caught in the illusion of weightlessness and silence that is definitive of space. In the process he not only created a realistic space experience, but also an astonishing cinematic one. Expand
  32. Nov 12, 2013
    I'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen theI'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen the Earth look so gorgeous. Secondly, the acting. The (more or less) two man cast brings a sense of loneliness and makes the vast spacescape look even bigger. Bullock and Clooney are perfect choices for the parts and they do their job well with Bullock switching it up a little with gender roles. Thirdly; the cinematography. The camera angles are absolutely brilliant and they really give the film a realistic feel. Fourthly; the realism. The film keeps very close to realism when it comes to the physics; a notable part would be the soundless destruction of the space stations. The films 90 minute run-time may seem quite short for a sci-fi thriller but this serves plenty and leaves a lasting effect on the viewer. I'd recommend Gravity for anyone; you don't have to be a sci-fi movie buff to enjoy this visual masterpiece. I have hardly any criticisms apart from the films storyline didn't quite go in my favour but that doesn't douse its brilliance. All I can say now is, See you at the Academy Awards Gravity! Expand
  33. Nov 12, 2013
    Original, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and soOriginal, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and so does Sandra Bullock, who shines as as stricken astronaut Dr. Ryan Stone. Brilliant. Expand
  34. Nov 12, 2013
    that movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and inthat movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and in the monument Expand
  35. Nov 12, 2013
    Gravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's nearGravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's near perfection. Go see it in IMAX if you haven't already, you won't regret it. It's easily one of the best films of the year, and probably one of the best I've ever seen. Expand
  36. Nov 12, 2013
    Great, but not brilliant. I imagine this movie will impress people with less knowledge of space as whilst the effects are amazing, the plot could have easily been expanded with a greater emphasis on using physics and gravity to actually get home rather than talking about the characters histories. I didn't hear "periapse" mentioned once in the movie, or any actual calculations of trajectory.
  37. Nov 12, 2013
    The opening scenes on wonderful views of earth from space may have you thinking "this is going to be another Space Odyssey". Unfortunately it's not, it's just another space movie with well crafted visual effects on a very obvious plot.
  38. Nov 11, 2013
    I saw this film several weeks ago but looking back I find it quite possibly the best new film I saw all year (so far). Of course, presumably there are a number of great foreign-language films from 2013 yet to be released in the USA, as well as any number of your usual end-of-year Oscar bait releases on the way. But rarely have I seen a film as deeply engaging and enjoyable as GRAVITY. MyI saw this film several weeks ago but looking back I find it quite possibly the best new film I saw all year (so far). Of course, presumably there are a number of great foreign-language films from 2013 yet to be released in the USA, as well as any number of your usual end-of-year Oscar bait releases on the way. But rarely have I seen a film as deeply engaging and enjoyable as GRAVITY. My only quibble was that Sandra Bullock's performance sometimes reminded me too much of her character in SPEED. All in all, though, GRAVITY is a truly extraordinary and quite possibly classic achievement in cinematic art. Expand
  39. Nov 11, 2013
    I love it!..it was a good freakin movie...I mean by the sound & visual effects
    :D very good (well job done) I just wish the movie had a little bit more of a story!..now I can kinda say I've been to space haha SERIOUSLY great visual effects and sound very realistic
  40. Nov 11, 2013
    Great special affects but technically LOL. It breaks one law of physics per minute (sometimes more than one per minute). It also breaks about every rule of spacecraft operations. Worth seeing for the special affects, but it isn't how things really are in space.
  41. Nov 11, 2013
    I will start by saying I am a huge fan of "user ratings" and I have consistently used this website to make viewing decisions. This movie was so bad, that I finally did it...I made an account so I could share with you, and hopefully alter your decision.
    Gravity was one of the worst movies I have ever seen! In a film that was rich in special effects that I will admit are quite stunning, lies a hollywood turd that people are choosing to gawk at.
    This movie is literally the "SANDRA BULLOCK CAN GRAB ONTO POWER HOUR". If you would like to see her continually miss grabbing for 2 hours..then this movie is for you. Clooney is the highlight..all for about 5 minutes he is actually in the film! I hate this movie, I hate it so much.
    Granted its visually appealing, that is about all its got. DONT WATCH THIS GARBAGE MOVIE!
  42. Nov 11, 2013
    It's a pitty for such a beautiful movie to be undermined by the useless,tiring chatter The director did a great job with a realistic and beautiful directing- not to mention the cinematography and the actors- and someone for the production spoiled by imposing useless talk and sentimentality.
  43. Nov 11, 2013
    This movie looks just amazing and I think you can say that, aside from animations like Avatar, Up, it's the best 3d film ever made. I'm sure if you dig into it you can find faults with it... like the people here who have given it a bad mark, but COME ON it's absolutely staggeringly well shot that is absolutely gorgeous and utterly compelling.
    Yes it's a very basic plot, yes it's
    Yes it's a very basic plot, yes it's ultimately limited by having to have a feelgood factor and some Hollywood crassness, and it stars Sandra Bullock who was a seriously odd choice bearing in mind she's about as engaging as a divorce, but overall, it's so much better than any other space movie sci fi, 'thriller' whatever out there because it feels real and looks and sounds absolutely wonderful.
  44. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anythingI don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anything I will ever suggest anyone to pay to see. Expand
  45. Nov 11, 2013
    This is, I have to admit, one of the most intense, beautiful, breathtaking movies I have ever seen. Sandra Bullock's performance was spot on and Clooney gave a charmingly fresh perspective to the disasters throughout the film. I was concerned by the fact that there were only two visible characters, but not once did I felt like something was missing. Overall, a true work of art.
  46. Nov 11, 2013
    I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film.I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film. Ultimately however, i felt the film never really built up into anything. If you're thinking about seeing it, i have a single piece of advice: Ignore everything you've heard or read about it, and enter the cinema without any prior expectations. Expand
  47. Nov 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not worth the effort to watch. There was virtually no character development, very weak and almost non existent plot line, which in the end became incredibly predictable. The movie essentially came down to a cliche plot device, a female character with a pain riddled past who miraculously survives against all odds, and the laws of nature/science.

(SPOILERS) I want to make a particular note to the infuriating ending. Not only does she make a decision no one in their right mind would make (taking off her helmet in a burning cabin); she somehow manages to escape said cabin whilst its being filled with water. THEN, she still has enough oxygen left in her breath to swim out, take off the suit and beat the water pressure, all on a single breath. This is but one of the many irritating scenes of the film.

The only reason I gave this a 1/10 was just because of the spectacular visuals and the good use of cinematography, and surprisingly, one of the few films which actually made good use of the 3D projector technology, but this is not enough to justify what I can only assume a very high budget film.

DO NOT GO AND WATCH, ITS A WASTE OF MONEY!
  48. Nov 10, 2013
    A cinematic achievement of this generation! In every aspect Gravity seemed to blow me away. With the amazing visual effects, intense story with many heartfelt scenes and finally that 3D. I wish more movies would capture you in the atmosphere of being in space. I especially loved the first person camera at times when you felt as if you were Sandra Bullock scared in space.
    One movie you
    One movie you must see within the decade! This could be starting point in which other movies will make you feel so captivated within the movie! One of the best movies this year!
  49. Nov 10, 2013
    Visually stunning film with composition that is absolutely clean and elegant; everything comes together in this film to form a perfect creation that will stay with me for along time. Took a while to come off all the emotions it created. One of the best films I have seen in a very very long time.
  50. Nov 10, 2013
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

Technically flawless with masterful pacing and perfect performances, not to mention haunting sound editing, it's all there and more. For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve something like that?
  51. Nov 10, 2013
    Gravity (90 wonderful minutes) Sandra Bullock- Dr. Ryan Stone George Clooney- Matt Kowalski Ed Harris Mission Control (voice)

Gravity is not only one of the best movies about space ever made, it is one of the best movies ever made, period. From the opening until the end, the moviegoer is held in the spellbinding grip of this magnificent film. Gravity deserves every Oscar that can be forged, it is just that good.

There are no gratuitous sex scenes, no sappy no corporate logos or political innuendos in this film, just 90 minutes of gripping, spellbinding entertainment. This is one of the tightest movies I have ever seen, not one second wasted, no fluff, no quarter and no pause. From the moment you are in your seat, prepare to stay there and prepare to be absorbed by this tour de force of a film. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing, it's about the best I have ever seen. My popcorn and every edible half-popped kernel was consumed in the first 30 minutes and any thoughts of relieving an aching bladder during this film were discarded as the cinematic greatness manifested itself throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Sandra Bullock was wonderful in this role, certainly an award-winning performance from beginning to end. I will try really hard to avoid Spoilers here, but this film is brutally real as there is no saving the day or head-turning suspension of disbelief. The scene in the Russian capsule where Dr. Ryan seemingly had accepted her inevitable fate...I won't say any more, just go see this film.

This movie received universal acclaim from the professional critics, but has been savaged by quite a few amateur movie critics who criticize the movie for two main reasons. First, the storyline is assailed as being mediocre or pedestrian, and others rail against the scientific accuracy of what is portrayed in the film. To this I say, codswallop. Many forget the purpose of movies, i.e. to entertain the audience, and this one does this in spades.

Just go see it, you will not be sorry. Five Stars out of Five.
  52. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a film for the more sensitive among us, and for those that are, this is the closest you will come to actually getting the feelings and sense of being face to face with outer space and death.
    A definite to see at the cinema in 3D, it actually gave me vertigo several times and at the end when I tried to stand up my legs were somewhat jelly like and balance unsure.
    Several have
    Several have commented on the lack of development of the characters, but this for me is not true, and something they are getting confused by because of the unconventional methods of delivering said development. For instance, you learn of the characters through the conversations they are having with each other, and not through being shown a lot through cinematic revealing. This is a purposeful ploy, so that to highlight the secluded nature of outer space, and to place the viewer into the skins of the actors, something I thought worked very well.
    From the moment the film starts we are encouraged to use our ears as well as our eyes to great effect. In the cinema I was in you could have heard a pin drop as the ship approached us for the first time.
    All acting performances were wonderful and the directing superb.
    9 out of 10 for me, losing just one point for a small plot line I thought felt a little tacked on, although I will not mention it hear so as to not give away any spoilers.
  53. Nov 9, 2013
    Touching, funny, involving, human, simple, direct. This is perfect cinema. Utterly convincing, almost to the extent of making me queasy, though I soon got my space legs, Gravity makes maximum use of sound and vision.

Just remember to breathe!
  54. Nov 9, 2013
    No doubt this movie is stunning but I think that the ploy was lacking you already know what was going to happen. There was barely any action and the moments of suspense weren't exciting Its a kind of movie i'd watch on Netflix or TV
  55. Nov 9, 2013
    I'm so INCREDIBLY disappointed. I could never imagine how clichée filled, "sentimental" and stupid this movie is. The dialogue (and the monologue!) is among the dumbest I've ever heard. As if that wasn't enough, I found myself questioning most of what was happening so many flaws and logical gaps. Frankly, the most enjoyable thing about this movie was the 3D and I really, really hate 3D.I'm so INCREDIBLY disappointed. I could never imagine how clichée filled, "sentimental" and stupid this movie is. The dialogue (and the monologue!) is among the dumbest I've ever heard. As if that wasn't enough, I found myself questioning most of what was happening so many flaws and logical gaps. Frankly, the most enjoyable thing about this movie was the 3D and I really, really hate 3D. I can't even imagine who would find this movie gripping. It's beyond me. Expand
  56. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The negative reviews here are baffling. Truly baffling. A lot of them are saying "there's no plot". Well what exactly are we looking for here? Debris from a destroyed satellite impacts upon a small-scale mission above Earth and we then follow in near real-time an attempt by the survivors to return to Earth. So we spend about 90 minutes in that situation and what happens is what happens. How much of a character arc can we really expect?

Other comments are like this :
    "Bad acting". Utter drivel.
    "Sets feminism back with a female character who just panics and hyperventilates". WTF?

I think I'd panic, too. A lot.

Clooney's character was calm because this wasn't his first rodeo. Bullock's Ryan was on her first trip out. She's set adrift in space without a way to take control and that caused her to panic. A lot. Seems reasonable. It had nothing to do with her gender. Nothing in this film is concerned with gender. It's absolutely ludicrous to try and make an argument that this film is diminishing feminism.

One of the '0' reviews I read said that people who are raving about the film are too embarrassed to say they don't like it because they've bought into the hype. Honestly, I'd say it was the other way around. These reviewers are determined not to like this film.

It's clear that I'm very much in favour of this film.
    You should see it for yourself.
    When you do, remind yourself of the strongly negative opinions and try and relate them to what you've just seen. You should logically conclude that the negative reviews are, as I said, baffling.

If you find yourself agreeing with the bizarre negativity, then re-read this and know that now I'm complaining about you. Yes, you. You baffle me.
  57. Nov 9, 2013
    The most over rated movie in a generation. These are two one dimensional characters shot in 3D, nothing more. Strip away the glitter and you would be paying someone else to watch it for you. If you want a Disney roller coaster ride without the movement then go see it. If you want something that has anything besides visual marshmallow goop then skip it.
  58. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was pretty intense and at the same time, not. A lot of boring scenes and nothing really going on, then several scenes where Bullock should have died about 200 times over. The ending REALLY pissed me off by leaving off too much to wonder. She could have died of starvation right there on the beach, OR she could have moved on and lived a new life, OR return back to NASA. Too much left unsaid. Now, the film and special effects was very excellent and the scenes that weren't boring had a lot going for them. Overall, the movie is worth seeing. Expand
  59. Nov 9, 2013
    With a small screenplay Cuarón made an amazing film, with a lot of suspence, surprising performances and great especial effects. A master piece for the upcoming science fiction films.
  60. Nov 9, 2013
    This is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of theThis is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of the nauseating scenes of space crashes and uncontrolled flight. I recommend you see this movie, just bring a barf bag! Expand
  61. Nov 9, 2013
    Overrated. This word pretty much sums up Gravity as a movie. There is little character depth and the storyline is pretty dull. In the end it was just an action movie, with pretty good visuals. With reviewers saying this is the best movie in year, my expectations for the movie was extremely high. This movie had a predictable plot and failed to keep me interested for too long. TheOverrated. This word pretty much sums up Gravity as a movie. There is little character depth and the storyline is pretty dull. In the end it was just an action movie, with pretty good visuals. With reviewers saying this is the best movie in year, my expectations for the movie was extremely high. This movie had a predictable plot and failed to keep me interested for too long. The science behind the movie was awful, but I wasn't expecting the movie to be very realistic at all. I would recommend seeing this movie yourself so you can form your own opinion, but don't expect a thought provoking masterpiece. Expand
  62. Nov 9, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty decent movie. It's definitely fun to watch in most circumstances, and it's accurate enough for an imersive, gripping experience.

But in the end, we're literally looking at a movie that's two hours of Sandra Bullock screaming in space. And it doesn't take Buzz Aldrin or Neil Degrasse Tyson to point out why that's not deserving of an Oscar.
  63. Nov 9, 2013
    There is a reason this movie is averaging 96 in Critic Scores and 8.3 in User Scores; It's is a cinematic masterpiece.

I will accept any scores in the range of 7-10 as being reasonable, anything in the green basically, but anyone that is scoring this film lower than a 7 and especially those people giving it 0, 1, 2, 3 etc are just being ridiculous and really shouldn't be allowed to post reviews and ratings in my opinion.

Trust me; this is a film that everyone who enjoys cinema should go and see and if it turns out you don't enjoy this film then trust me, you probably need to have a serious think about how you look at the world and interpret things in it because your take on reality is seriously distorted.

It's not "perfect" but I can't really find any genuinely good reason I'd drop it a full point that I'd feel right about, and certainly not just to appease those types of people who think "no film is 'perfect' so no film should score a 10" or whatever, so I might as well give it 10 because to me in this case I think it's basically earned it and to be totally honest, I'd also like to see that average User Score just a little higher too.

This film is brilliant and thank God the majority of people are smart enough to actually understand why and acknowledge it's greatness.
  64. Nov 8, 2013
    I can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a rollerI can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a roller coaster ride: all visceral feeling and absolutely no substance. Expand
  65. Nov 8, 2013
    Gripping film with magnificent visuals and a compelling story with an abundant of suspenseful scenes perfectly woven together in this sure-to-be classic
  66. Nov 8, 2013
    We are transported to space. It is amazing, gripping, breathtaking. I need to see it again.
    Unmissable. It is what it is: an extreme survival story in space.
  67. Nov 8, 2013
    Edgy and ground breaking We felt this film delivered much more than initially thought possible from 2 actors and a basic concept. The movie keeps you connected and on the edge of your seat for pretty much the whole experience. Top notch work by everyone involved!
  68. Nov 8, 2013
    Like Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few moviesLike Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few movies can impact on a person such as this does, so I recommend you too will experience it. Expand
  69. Nov 8, 2013
    This is a near-perfect cinematic experience when seen in 3D. It's hard to even imagine watching it as a rental, I'm almost certain the film would be compromised. The sound may be the best part. Astounding.
  70. Nov 8, 2013
    Actually, the first time I went to the cinema for this film, I ran late and had to go and watch "Blue is the warmest color" instead. I was so disappointed at first, but in the end I am so glad I watched it, it was great. And now so disappointed by the vastly expected Gravity.
    Visually amazing, a 10/10 for the creation of this camera ballet in this zero gravity environment.
    BUT the script
    BUT the script is an 8/10 at most, and that only if you connect to the main characters emotionally, which didn't happen at all and leads to...
    a 5/10 for the acting performance and character building. Especially Bullock.
    I can't really say that I was moved with her stereotyped way of acting instead of being the character. And the so literal approach to her strong but deeply flawed character was as much obviously constructed and two-dimensional as that space dance was made visually plausible and real. So unsubtle. I can only dream what that movie could have been with a great actress like Cate Blanchet or Julianne Moore.
    Not to mention the flaws in the building of the actions chain that really causes overall disbelief. Bullock is key to the success or not of this film as a whole, and that didn't clicked well in the end.

So, in short, a visual 10/10, a script reduced to 7/10 because of the thin characters and improbability, a 5/10 for the acting performance makes an overall of 7/10.
    Too bad, it was greatly promising. Still a good film, nonetheless, but not a masterpiece.
  71. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie blew my mind away. Everything about it is perfect: the cinematography, the actors, the story, the music, and the environment. "Gravity" is the movie I have been waiting for all year long. I especially love the symbolism in this movie, like at the end where Sandra Bullock goes through this sort of re-evolution. Even if the physics and science in "Gravity" is inaccurate, it isThis movie blew my mind away. Everything about it is perfect: the cinematography, the actors, the story, the music, and the environment. "Gravity" is the movie I have been waiting for all year long. I especially love the symbolism in this movie, like at the end where Sandra Bullock goes through this sort of re-evolution. Even if the physics and science in "Gravity" is inaccurate, it is still an amazing movie. Expand
  72. Nov 7, 2013
    Apparently, none of the reviewers have never seen Space Cowboys. A movie made in 2000, Just as good, and it was only given a 73. The acting was better also.
  73. Nov 7, 2013
    Dope movie, Felix Baumgartner has nothing on this chick.........................................................................................................................
  74. Nov 7, 2013
    [9.0] The depth of Gravity is ironically physical, while its thematic substance is just as strong, if not stronger. For a movie so reliant on computer images and animation, Gravity is so perceptibly conceivable. It physically makes sense, and does so to an extent so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the effects of the film, but you understand them in context. After all, point of view is[9.0] The depth of Gravity is ironically physical, while its thematic substance is just as strong, if not stronger. For a movie so reliant on computer images and animation, Gravity is so perceptibly conceivable. It physically makes sense, and does so to an extent so that you don't feel overwhelmed by the effects of the film, but you understand them in context. After all, point of view is the sole focus of this movie. Some may argue that the lack of varying perspective can and will hurt a movie, but Gravity's perspective is truly embedded in theme. When stranded in space, one must wonder what freedom really is. Is it removal of physical and materialistic restraints, or is it the ability to choose, and to make that choice through self-determination. Space is physical infinity, and that infinity is unconquerable without gravity. Can you go anywhere in space? Absolutely, but it should be understood that you will never move at the speed that the things around you do. These things move so fast, you cannot grab hold of them; without gravity, they easily slip past you. How can you expect to go anywhere in a realm where all things are physically equal? Where inertia does not apply, and where everything just keeps going, and the only way to change their direction is with force; conscious, voluntary force. It's all too much to keep up with, and in this sense, the freedom that space presents is nil. Its freedom is only to be perceived, not to be had. Its freedom is ideal, and what one ought to strive to attain. An idea that is perfect will indefinitely go wrong in circumstance, and that idea is utopia. Freedom only works when something else works against it. People have to have obstacles, because without obstacles, there is no conflict, and without conflict, there is no purpose for freedom. Gravity therefore, is freedom. It is a restraint that we work against, and we are grateful to work against it. When we do work against it, we flourish, we build civilization, and we do what we were meant to do since the day we came into existence: we survive. Expand
  75. Nov 7, 2013
    E um filme bom prende a atenção da gente do começo ao fim .Adorei o jeito como a historia foi contada ,faz agente pensar no que fazer em casos extra-ordinários como o relatado no filme ,e surpreendente
  76. ATR
    Nov 7, 2013
    It was good. They make it sound intense, but it is not. The CGI is nice and great to look at. Making a movie that I might give another go at or get it on Blu-ray.
  77. Nov 6, 2013
    The visual effects were amazing. The audio was spectacular (especially with Dolby Atmos). The story line was pretty good, though not amazing. The movie flowed well, no sudden drop offs of excitement.

The movie wasn't perfect as far as being scientifically correct goes, but they did try to make it as realistic as possible.

Overall a great movie.
  78. Nov 6, 2013
    I saw this movie with my family and didn't think it would have been this bad but let me tell you its 91 minutes of cgi. To start with the beginning when the movie was starting you just stare at the earth for a good 3 minutes which isn't a big deal IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW IT AS MUCH THE REST OF THE MOVIE! I mean it s in almost every frame. Then the debris hits and kills the man that I GUESSI saw this movie with my family and didn't think it would have been this bad but let me tell you its 91 minutes of cgi. To start with the beginning when the movie was starting you just stare at the earth for a good 3 minutes which isn't a big deal IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW IT AS MUCH THE REST OF THE MOVIE! I mean it s in almost every frame. Then the debris hits and kills the man that I GUESS we're suppose to feel for because Oh! he's got a picture of his family. You can not throw a sentimental moment when you don't even show the persons back story! Then lets go with the rising action and such POINT A TO POINT B?! REALLY? Oscar worthy my ass. When you have a story that Does Not Show its just a point A To point B movie THAT'S A GOOD MOVIE. IT TAKES YOU ON AN ADVENTURE NOT DROLL FLOATING! Then the ending was the Worst ever. She doesn't even get home and you are to expect she does HOW?! shes in the lower hemisphere who the hell knows where she even is or if that shes alive!? 2 out of 10 Waste of my time. Expand
  79. Nov 6, 2013
    STUNNING! The visuals are mind blowing The movie feels kinda boring in between.. but all together the story is awesome a must watch you cannot experience this in your pc
  80. Nov 6, 2013
    Gravity is a mind blowing visual roller coaster. It is hard to give a movie just based on visuals a perfect score because all I came out of Gravity with was visuals. The story wasn't anything ground breaking or strong, it was just a movie about the beauty of space and it does a perfect job.
  81. Nov 5, 2013
    This is one of the worst films to come out this year, don't believe all the hype. They got great visuals and put a cheesy terrible story on top of it to try to justify making the film. The director doesn't take a single step into actually developing the characters, but instead casts Bullock is that typical weak female lead. Bullock is also terrible as usual.
  82. Nov 5, 2013
    Best movie of the year so far,maybe the best movie in past 20 years.Together with 2001: A Space Odyssey is the best space movie ever made.A work of art of Alfonso Cuarón.Maybe the best movie I've ever seen.
  83. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How can people that live as movie critics give average 96 ?
    Its a good movie and the meaning of it is really nice.
    But its not that good at all, i don't see anything worthy a 96 score in this movie, nothing.
    Its a really nice story about her daughter and that but i mean, a masterpiece 96 score? No.
  84. Nov 5, 2013
    Gravity will surprise you with how well-shot and well-written Sci-fi movies can be. And Sandra Bullock did an surprisingly outstanding role. You won't regret this movie. Even Tarantino put this movie in his top ten of 2013
  85. Nov 5, 2013
    Something is wrong here. How can 49 "official" critics can be positively unanimous about this movie ???
    Some of them calling this a masterpiece Come on. After the first stunning images and the opening scene, you can go home. All the rest is dull and pathetic.
  86. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Neither NASA nor any other space agency would ever send the character Sandra Bullock played into space. They don't need a hysterical woman who knows nothing about space or the technology she has to use.
    If you know nothing about physics or space you probably will like that movie but if you are interested in these things (like me) you'll hate it because you know that nearly everything is against logic or physics.

And to be honest: In a SciFi movie I don't give a damn about a "deep" insight of the characters. Especially when their stories have nothing to do with the movie.

Before I checked who made the movie I thought the same guy who did After Earth also did this one.

At the end: The nearly drowned in the rescue capsule? Oh holy This nearly happened in real life to NASA astronauts and thus NASA (and all other space agencies) fixed that problem.

The director just wanted to make a awesome 3D movie but didn't cared about a good and especially logical story. I hope he NEVER does a movie again so the investors have money left for good movies.
  87. Nov 4, 2013
    This movie is every bit as good as it's hyped to be. It was even better than expected. A real thrill ride. I was expecting a very low-key movie with lots of philosophical dialogue...what I got was non-stop suspense and action. After the first few minutes, it has you on the edge of your seat right until the end. Your heart won't stop pounding for 80 straight minutes.
  88. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very excited to see this movie. I was pretty disappointed that the entire runtime consists of Sandra Bullock falling though space. Let me break it down for you.

Phase 1: Satellite she's working on gets blown up. She falls for a very long time until George catches her.
    Phase 2: They float toward their ship, which they know is blown up. After confirming their friend who they saw die is dead, they depart.
    Phase 3: They float toward another satellite. Shortly after arrival in blows up. Sandra escapes in a pod and begins floating toward yet another satellite.
    Phase 4: Sandra gets to said satellite and then floats to earth. THE END.

Nothing happened in this movie that made it stand out for me. The special effects are cool, but even those are few and far between that will really make you go, "Wow." I have no doubt this movie will continue receiving praise and will be Oscar material because it is very well made in the same way Lincoln was. It's a little sad that they didn't try to make it more interesting.

3/10 Would not bang.
  89. Nov 3, 2013
    The most over rated film since "Argo". This film is mediocre at best and I didn't care about Bulloch or Clooney. It is a one dimensional film that I cannot for the life of me understand why we have a 95 rating. Maybe somebody got paid off by the industry. Well, at least there were no aliens in it.
  90. Nov 3, 2013
    Aside from some forced story elements and a big of a long-winded script at times, Gravity is just so much fun. It's first 15 minutes are pretty gosh darn close to perfect, within minutes you're in the sh*t. The music is really something too. This is one of the few movies that actually really actually benefits from 3D and IMAX, so see it that way. Great movie!
  91. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. superb movie! the graphics were wonderful, the scenes were intense, great soundtrack, and the movie scenes were unpredictable! there were characters in there who i thought were goanna make it, and the ending of their demise threw me off! truly a wonderful movie! there will be moments where the astronauts had a hard time breathing in their suits and i realized that i wasnt breathing also! lol thats how strongly the movie sucked me in! you will be immersed in gravity's atmosphere! there will also be moments where you watch the movie with your mouth gaped open and your body will be stiff with tension! the movie gets damn intense! lol my faith in hollywood has been restored! it is now apparantly still possible to make a new good movie in hollywood! lol great job! my only reason why i didnt give this movie a ten was because there were some moments where i felt the acting was stiff and lacked emotion; and although the scenes were intense, i felt like they couldve been even more intense and powerful! ive seen thrillers that truly thrilled me to the edge of my seat!

still a great movie though! i recommed you watch it! truly an immersive experience
  92. Nov 2, 2013
    I think may be obvious to admit, although with a certain reserve, that Gravity is a great film, from many points of view.

This is a film that certainly does not leave indifferent, anyhow, a characterization excessively cold and linear of the (few) characters, a pace not always appropriate and a certain coldness in the overall execution lead me to exclude it from excellence. Anyhow,

Anyhow, the points in its favor are so many, that it is impossible and unfair to focus only on error.

If only for the courage shown by the director, producers and actors, in presenting a product so discordant from the "mass" usually sent to the public (especially in science fiction), this is a film that should be seen, understood and, rightly, appreciated.
  93. Nov 2, 2013
    This movie made me lean forward, hold my breath, feel lonely and frightened. Honestly, sitting in a seat following these astronauts made me sometimes a little seasick, but in a good way. The realistic contrast is really coming through the screen, space is not a joke. 91 minutes was all it took to reform my perspective view of space relative to earth. The downsides are not worth mentioning.This movie made me lean forward, hold my breath, feel lonely and frightened. Honestly, sitting in a seat following these astronauts made me sometimes a little seasick, but in a good way. The realistic contrast is really coming through the screen, space is not a joke. 91 minutes was all it took to reform my perspective view of space relative to earth. The downsides are not worth mentioning. 9.5/10 if I could. Expand
  94. Nov 2, 2013
    To be honest I was expecting better. The visuals are impressive but the movie lack a story its just a succession of events to keep the audience interested, but the bad part is that is quite predictable.
  95. Nov 2, 2013
    Filme com efeitos especiais bons e um suspense do inicio ao fim e com historia otima, e com otimos atores escolhidos, e um bom tema escolhido e um bom filme produzido em 3D.
  96. Nov 2, 2013
    Positives: Indescribable is probably the only way to explain this movie. It's majestic and stunning cinematography, as well as harmonious rhythms from the score bring a level of immersion unlike any other. Simplicity is the story's strong point, with intelligible characters that grip you to the core, and a storyline that is straightforward, and fast paced. From start to finish this filmPositives: Indescribable is probably the only way to explain this movie. It's majestic and stunning cinematography, as well as harmonious rhythms from the score bring a level of immersion unlike any other. Simplicity is the story's strong point, with intelligible characters that grip you to the core, and a storyline that is straightforward, and fast paced. From start to finish this film will captivate and immerse you into an unmatched visual experience.

Negatives: Parts of the story are briefly or inadequately explained which could confuse the audience, especially since they will be distracted by the dazzling visuals.
  97. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a word: Boring.
    I was sorely disappointed by this film. I knew from the advertisements and some reviews I briefly glimpsed at (so as not the have the movie "spoiled" for me), what I was getting myself into. I can appreciate the fact that there is very little sound and the colour palette is very restricted. Survival movies focusing primarily on one character can still incorporate an interesting story. This did not. At all.
    This movie had so many wasted opportunities. Elaborate on characters' backstories. Display awesome imagery of space and Earth (like show us the Great Wall of China or something). Instead we got to listen to a country music radio station and heavy breathing for over an hour. Get ready to suspend belief.

We're expected to believe that a woman as scrawny as Sandra Bullock is able to open a pressurized port-hole door and have it swing violently open? We expected to believe that she is strong enough to grip onto handles and bars while flying through space? We're expected to believe that while her life is on the line she's still able to crack wisecrack jokes to herself? We're expected to believe that during every stop she makes along her space travels her oxygen tanks magically refill? We're expected to believe she can propel herself along a very precise path with a fire extinguisher? We're expected to believe that by randomly pressing buttons (she literally plays "eeny meeny miney mo") on a complex space control panel, you're able to get back to Earth?
    This movie failed on every level!
  98. Nov 2, 2013
    i thought that i was having phisic class! great visual effects,sandra bullocks its great.
    Clooney doesn't apear to much but the part that we was acting,was funny.
  99. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really have to add a voice of sanity here, this film is fatally flawed. Did any of the reviewers ever do basic physics at school or play on a swing ?

At the critical point of the film, George Cluney's character is hanging on a tether and being PULLED away in a sustained fashion this simply cannot happen if you are weightless. Similarly, when Sandra Bullock's character is hurtling to earth subject to the g forces of re-entry her helmet is floating about weightless, who are the technical advisers here, Micky and Minnie mouse? I could just about get over that, if it were not for the acting of George Cluney, so he is about to die, be cast off into space and commit suicide and he is as jolly as a lamb in springtime am I the only person who finds this a little incongruous. As for the graphics, well the earth would not be out of focus when you are in wide shot at infinity and it was. Sandra's acting would have been a lot more believable if being a pilot, she knew which way a hatch opened and did not get thrown nearly into space TWICE by opening the door the wrong way gasp. For all of that, there were still some good space ship graphics and a nearly belivable plot, if a little simple.
  100. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie is a roller-coaster ride. It's very intense but is hard to understand at times. The 3D effects are absolutely mind blowing and human will to keep going (what all the other critics say) is blatantly obvious. While some of the scenes look kinda bad (the woman astronaut spinning around and around in space looks very much done on a computer) and some are tight (not for people withThis movie is a roller-coaster ride. It's very intense but is hard to understand at times. The 3D effects are absolutely mind blowing and human will to keep going (what all the other critics say) is blatantly obvious. While some of the scenes look kinda bad (the woman astronaut spinning around and around in space looks very much done on a computer) and some are tight (not for people with claustrophobia) the scenes are very well done and carefully crafted. The movie deserves the extremely high ratings, especially from critics. If you like action, watch this movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.