5.3

1. Sep 28, 2010
    I loved this film but I agree with many of these reviews which criticize the casting of Affleck. Baumbach is famous for his unlikable characters, but Stiller's performance is so distracting and forced that he nearly ruins this film. An excellent script and breathtaking performances by Greta Gerwig and Rhys Ivans saved the film for me.
  2. AndreaG.
    Apr 10, 2010
    Overrated piece of crap. the movie didn't go anywhere. watching gerwig made me feel claustropobic and there were only a handful of good scenes. overall the movie was slow and painful to sit through. just because a man is angry, bitter and caustic, that alone is not enough to make a movie around.
  3. howardp
    Apr 16, 2010
    Two words: Simple Jack. (Fans of Tropic Thunder will get my reference to the Oscar-bait film Stiller's character starred in.) I get why viewers hate the film. And I get why critics basically like it -- it's so not Hollywood mainstream. The seduction scene was so explicit, so awkward, so awful and so hard not to watch. But it stuck in my head.
  4. Oct 7, 2010
    I wanted to like Greenberg. I really did. I am a fan of subtle slice-of-life indie dramedies. I am a fan of Ben Stiller. I was not a fan of Greenberg, though. I was entertained through most of the movie, and it kept me intellectually stimulated at parts, but in the end it left me feeling nothing but disappointment. There was no emotional connection to the characters in the film, andI wanted to like Greenberg. I really did. I am a fan of subtle slice-of-life indie dramedies. I am a fan of Ben Stiller. I was not a fan of Greenberg, though. I was entertained through most of the movie, and it kept me intellectually stimulated at parts, but in the end it left me feeling nothing but disappointment. There was no emotional connection to the characters in the film, and each character never showed any more than 2 dimensions. They were all generic indie characters who never seemed to have an internal motivation. Everyone seemed to behave based on what they prescribed character type was meant to be. Do not get me wrong, this is not a bad film by any means, but it is also nothing I am going to remember a few years down the line. I would much rather watch this movie again than sit through Stomp the Yard 4. Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2011
    I'll admit, I came to this film knowing I might not like it; I'm generally not a fan of Ben Stiller (at one point I had to fight an image of Simple Jack out of my head), and knew it was a Baumbach film (I wasn't a big fan of Margot at the Wedding). The reason I was interested was Greta Gerwig. Thank God for Gerwig and Rhys Ifans, who save the film from being a complete wreck. Ben Stiller'sI'll admit, I came to this film knowing I might not like it; I'm generally not a fan of Ben Stiller (at one point I had to fight an image of Simple Jack out of my head), and knew it was a Baumbach film (I wasn't a big fan of Margot at the Wedding). The reason I was interested was Greta Gerwig. Thank God for Gerwig and Rhys Ifans, who save the film from being a complete wreck. Ben Stiller's Roger is so unlikeable it's maddening; it gets tiresome very quickly. The film gets more interesting toward the end, when Brie Larson and Juno Temple bring some much needed levity, but it's too little too late. Ultimately, it's just not the type of film I respond to wholeheartedly. Expand
  6. PatR
    Mar 31, 2010
    This is painful to watch--cringeworthy from first to last--but well written, well-directed and well-acted. Still, why does it get a 75 score on Metacritic --it's a draining experience to watch and you are bummed when you walk out (unless you already left in the middle). Okay, these are (unfortunately) pretty real people and complex enough, not typical Hollywood stereotypes--but does This is painful to watch--cringeworthy from first to last--but well written, well-directed and well-acted. Still, why does it get a 75 score on Metacritic --it's a draining experience to watch and you are bummed when you walk out (unless you already left in the middle). Okay, these are (unfortunately) pretty real people and complex enough, not typical Hollywood stereotypes--but does that really make this worthy of all this critical praise. Are these critics all Florences at heart? (i.e., masochists)? Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Mowe
    Although Ben Stiller’s brand of nervy comic ticks can prove irritating on occasions, here he is kept in check so that the humor and the pathos shine through.
  2. While winning no points for originality, Baumbach and his co-conspirator in the script, Jennifer Jason Leigh -- have created an all-too-convincing portrait of a 40-year-old man in emotional freefall.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    As a study of stasis and of people conscious of not living the lives they had imagined for themselves, the picture offers a bracing undertow of seriousness beneath the deceptively casual, dramatically offhand surface.