4.9

1. Aug 28, 2011
    Grown Ups is as awful as any comedy could conceivably be, and then doubly awful once you realize that five comedians cannot generate one funny line or gag, and that there is, in fact, no story or resemblance of any kind of plot, but a string of unfunny notes.
  2. Jun 17, 2011
    This movie is absolute garbage. Not funny in the slightest. The writing is horrible, and the "acting" even worse. The entire movie consists of a bunch of washed up 90's actors trying to be funny. The problem is, they aren't funny and never were. I honestly did not laugh a single time during this movie. This was a complete and utter failure.
  3. Jan 27, 2013
    What an unfunny, boring comedy! With such a cast you would think they would deliver laughs, but the cast is not at fault, its the awful writers/director of this movie. The movie is without a plot, story. Its just like a bad cottage trip, where everybody is bored.
  4. PeepHarris
    Jun 25, 2010
    A sinister bit of cinema, every bit as nefarious as "Happy Feet." Deserves to be on the bottom of every critic's list.
  5. DylanM.
    Jun 26, 2010
    There are a lot of laughs to this one, yes, but who in their right mind would write a movie less than an hour long without any plot?!? It's the visual form of a sugar rush that way: a quick burst of hilarity that ultimately proves to be unsatisfying in the end.
  6. MikeC.
    Jun 28, 2010
    Brutal lack of humor. Warning: If your IQ is over 80 you will NOT like this. If that's not you then you'll most likely have the time of your life, consider it one of the all-time greats, and make a point of visiting Metacritic to rate it a 10.
  7. Craig
    Jun 28, 2010
    The worst. Not funny at all. Embarrassing. Adam Sandler needs to refund me $18.00.
  8. ArtC.
    Jun 25, 2010
    This movie is among the five worst films of the year so far. Even a cameo by Steve Buscemi can't save this movie. Its worst crime, of course, is that it simply is not funny.
  9. Sep 12, 2010
    Wow that was a bad movie. I was actually entertained in the sense of how could this get any worse and believe me it did. The jokes were completely unfunny and at times just mean but everyone laughed and chuckled in the movie. It was the cheesiest, worst piece of crap Ive ever seen. The only time this movie would be useful to anyone if they were studying why movies didn't work.
  10. Mar 1, 2012
    Grown Ups is a perfect example of how bad Adam Sandler movies can be.The movie is not as funny as thinks it is, Adam Sandler and Chris Rock can do and have done much better than this, David Spade gets typecasted as a sleeze for one billionith movie, Kevin James fills in for the late Chris Farley as the fat schmuck who is only good at slapstick and nothing else. And then there is RobGrown Ups is a perfect example of how bad Adam Sandler movies can be.The movie is not as funny as thinks it is, Adam Sandler and Chris Rock can do and have done much better than this, David Spade gets typecasted as a sleeze for one billionith movie, Kevin James fills in for the late Chris Farley as the fat schmuck who is only good at slapstick and nothing else. And then there is Rob Schnider who is **** at any movie he does. Also the wives can also act so much better, Mya Rudolph was in Bridesmaids for **** sakes! watch this movie once then scratch the disc so deep that it can't be fixed. If want to watch a real Adam Sandler Movie, Go watch the Wedding Singer, if you wanna see Chris Rock do his thing, watch Dogma. As for the other three guys, don't bother. Expand
  11. Dec 30, 2011
    Lazy, ignorant and far from funny. It assembles a cast that is supposed to be hilarious but fails to even make me laugh once. I give this movie 19%. Yeah it is that bad.
  12. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For those who love Adam Sandler comedies, the star of "Happy Gilmore" and "Big Daddy" salutes you. Sandler, who every now and then, takes a time out from his string of highly successful lowbrow comedies in order to challenge himself with the occasional mature celluloidal venture, presides over "Grown-Ups" like some curator of his own particular brand of modern humor, as if "Punchdrunk Love", "Spanglish", and especially "Funny People", never happened. Whereas in "Funny People" the prevailing subtext in the 2009 Judd Apatow film seemed to indicate a commercially successful, but critically panned actor's disenchantment with his filmography, such possible real-life feelings about the demerits of aiming for the lowest common denominator over the course of one's career, goes undetected in "Grown-Ups", in which Sandler, once again, plays a Hollywood professional(this time, a producer). It's as if Sandler wants to assure his fanbase that he takes pride in what made him famous, so it's goodbye to self-introspection, and hello to bits about breast milk and pee. The dialogue, at times, have an improvisational quality, as Sandler and his buddies riff without the slightest realization that they're not the least bit funny. "Grown-Ups" certainly doesn't act grown-up when women are concerned, in which the Dennis Spade character describes the brink of a French kiss between Rob Schneider and his post-menopausal older lady as being "grodie". Spade, along with the other similarly-aged men, are allowed to leer at Schneider's impossibly sexy girls, while shuddering at the third daughter, who gets laughs, simply by being unattractive. "Grown-Ups" thinks it can get away with such lewd treatment of women, since the Hallie Berry character, who seems poised to be a stuck-up **** is not, which gives the filmmaker some leeway to be misogynistic. "Grown-Ups" allegedly has some funny people in it, but where are they, exactly? Expand
  13. JPrice
    Jun 25, 2010
    If it weren't for my visiting grandson, I would NEVER see this, or any, Adam Sandler movie. This is pure, pathetic attempt at slapstick comedy, as are all of Sandler's movies. It still amazes me that people actually pay good money for CRAP like this! A pure waste of time!
  14. AlbertA.
    Jun 25, 2010
    Garbage best sums up my opinion of this movie. "King" Sandler and his court of fellow lackwits are dreadful. Absolutely. Why would the edgy (and used to be brilliant) Chris Rock attach himself to this junker of a film? Bad move, Chris. Bad move. Why I went to this movie: I was the selected neighborhood parent who got stuck taking a bunch of local sprats to the movie of THEIR choice. (this Garbage best sums up my opinion of this movie. "King" Sandler and his court of fellow lackwits are dreadful. Absolutely. Why would the edgy (and used to be brilliant) Chris Rock attach himself to this junker of a film? Bad move, Chris. Bad move. Why I went to this movie: I was the selected neighborhood parent who got stuck taking a bunch of local sprats to the movie of THEIR choice. (this tells you something about the mental capacities of the kids on my block. lol!) Expand
  15. RolfW.
    Jun 25, 2010
    No one in their right mind goes to an Adam Sandler movie for any reason ....period!
  16. PaulS
    Jun 26, 2010
    Absolutely horrible. I would say its one of the worst movies I have ever seen but this seems to be the trend for american movies. Horrible.
  17. PauletteS
    Jun 28, 2010
    What a waste of time! I think the children should have been banned from this mess of a film.
  18. Dec 21, 2010
    If Hollywood were (metaphorically) a fast food restaurant that served cheap-but-tasty-yet-fattening films, 'Grown Ups' would surely be on the value menu. While there was already little promise to a film that consisted of five of some of the most annoying comedian-actors, there was room for actual comedy. However, nothing felt like anything new. It's the same burger we've been eating forIf Hollywood were (metaphorically) a fast food restaurant that served cheap-but-tasty-yet-fattening films, 'Grown Ups' would surely be on the value menu. While there was already little promise to a film that consisted of five of some of the most annoying comedian-actors, there was room for actual comedy. However, nothing felt like anything new. It's the same burger we've been eating for years, except it's got a little some of this and that, which isn't much, and if anything it's bad for your health. The film is about these "grown ups", played by Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider and Kevin James, who are childhood pals obligated to return home for the funeral of their old coach. They basically spend the whole time reminiscing on the "good ol days" and having a "good ol time" while never shedding a light on what the film is trying to say, which isn't much of anything we haven't already heard. I was hoping that Adam Sandler would've carried the movie, but he seemed to be the most boring of the "big five" in this bro-fest. Really, they just sat around and laughed for half of the movie, and the things they laughed at were only family-oriented crude clichés of jokes we've seen and heard so so so many times. Maybe the point of the film was that these well-known actors were, in a sense, looking back at the things that made their previous successes so funny. To me, though, that just sounds like a sales gimmick, but people are prone to buy "Greatest Hits" albums even when they already own all of the songs on the album. Expand
  19. Nov 2, 2010
    A Film Review by: Sam Fragoso

*1/2 Adam Sandler's new movie "Grown Up's" could possibly be one of the years worst comedies. Let me start this off telling everyone that I am an Adam Sandler fan (Spanglish, Big Daddy, Funny People etc) but this movie is probably his worst. I don't understand how five funny and some what talented actors could make a movie so bland and not even remotely
    A Film Review by: Sam Fragoso

*1/2

Adam Sandler's new movie "Grown Up's" could possibly be one of the years worst comedies. Let me start this off telling everyone that I am an Adam Sandler fan (Spanglish, Big Daddy, Funny People etc) but this movie is probably his worst. I don't understand how five funny and some what talented actors could make a movie so bland and not even remotely funny. I don't what they were thinking when taking this movie, it's rarely funny and extremely predictable. For me this film raises the question that I hate to think of which is.... Do these actors read the scripts of the films there in before they take them or are they just doing it for the money? I mean the idea of five guys reuniting in a lake house for a weekend is not great but it has potential of being a funny movie. But in "Grown Up's" the jokes are old and tiring, the writing is weak and very bland and the old black grandma that makes fun of people is one of the biggest cliches in the movies. Sadly that's exactly what "Grown Up's'" is, a cliche for a predictable and non comedic comedy. I obviously say skip "Grown Up's".
  20. Nov 17, 2010
    I like easy comedy, easy humorism, for ex. I loved Jackass. But this awful piece of crap will only waste one and half hour of your life. I havent even smiled once, in a movie thats supposed to be a funny comedy and thats everything but funny, just terrible humorism, boring, ridicolously trite...please, please don't watch this garbage.
  21. Jun 6, 2013
    This film sucks. No 2 ways about it. If I can count the funny moments on 1 hand (about 3-4 of them thanks to the only stars in this movie Chris Rock and Kevin James) than this film failed has a comedy.
  22. GeorgeneD.
    Jun 26, 2010
    The movie is horrible. Laughed about twice. The nursing jokes were absolutely moronic. What a waste of some good actors.
  23. Feb 19, 2011
    An extremely unfunny movie that does a terrible job of trying to give moral advice on growing up. The movie is basically devoid of any plot from what I could tell. I'm not a Sandler hater, but he's been put out a fair share of crappy films and this may be a new low.
  24. Oct 7, 2010
    Curious how some people loved it? This has to be the most unfunny "comedy" I've had the misfortune to watch in years. What's up with Sandler? Please try and make a decent comedy again. And as for Chris Rock, who is brilliant in stand up, talk about sleep walking through a part. This is beyond dumb.
  25. Sep 28, 2011
    This movie failed to keep it funny given the fact it had some really funny people (Rob Snieder, Kevin James). I was extremely disappointed and didn't want to continue after the first hour. More of a family movie but with the adult jokes included here I don't know what this is.
  26. Mar 19, 2011
    It's funny how Adam Sandler is completely plugged into the normal joe. Howard Stern said it perfectly. Adam Sandler doesn't care how average, unclever and generic his movies are. He doesn't care that critics hate everything he does. The domestic gross of every move he does is always at least double the production cost. When he, Spade and Farley were accused of being too sophomoric andIt's funny how Adam Sandler is completely plugged into the normal joe. Howard Stern said it perfectly. Adam Sandler doesn't care how average, unclever and generic his movies are. He doesn't care that critics hate everything he does. The domestic gross of every move he does is always at least double the production cost. When he, Spade and Farley were accused of being too sophomoric and dumbing down SNL, they laughed all the way to the bank. While the subject matter of his drippingly nostalgic movies have progressively reflected his self-awareness that he is aging, he keeps trying to progress his comedy to match it. While he's significantly lost his comedic edge, he will always generically appeal to his solid fanbase, which is why his movies will always do well. While his movies will never break new ground, Grown Ups not being an exception, there are always elements of cuteness, sweetness and some parts that most people can relate to. Again, Grown Ups not being an exception. For those of us who have grown up with Sandler, who enjoyed his sophomoric rise (even though it really did dumb down SNL) and are reaching the same places in life he is now, may not be able to critically enjoy his films, but for those times we want some popcorn and mindless entertainment, he always succeeds. Grown-Ups not being an exception. Expand
  27. Jan 29, 2011
    very disappointing. its like they made the entire script in one day. very unfunny at times they just tired to hard. In the end this is in the top 10 of worst movies of 2010. unless its free skip this one.
  28. Apr 30, 2012
    My older sister recommended me this movie and I've got a message for you, sister: **** you!
  29. May 29, 2011
    Average movie, I wasn't expecting much from it but exceeded my expectations. The jokes are decents for kids. The story is weak and could have been more explored. What saves are the messages that are passed during the movie, but even so it's all very cliche.

1. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Smug and lazy comedy that barely raises a chuckle.
    While Sandler has never trafficked in epigrammatic wit, there's a difference between, say, Billy Madison's "Of course I peed my pants--everyone my age pees their pants" or "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry's" shakedown of hetero squeamishness, and this lazy stuff--the difference between smart-dumb and plain-dumb.
  3. For a while, the movie looks like "Couples Retreat" or a Tyler Perry house party, only instead of cookie-cutter conflicts, everyone just grows happier and more relaxed.