7.6

1. Aug 24, 2014
    Filled with wonderful musical renditions of the now-classic Broadway musical, Hairspray is a delightful and charming adaptation of the stage version and it's mediocre predecessor film.
  2. Mar 19, 2014
    Hairspray is a delightful revival of the cult classic. John Travolta is hilarious in his role as a women, and the movie prances along with respect to the original.
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    Ended up watching this because family put it on tv, and i didn't expect much.
    However, it was actually very entertaining, musical film really not my thing but definitely worth the watch.
  4. Aug 14, 2013
    This is one of those films that is sure to put a smile on your face. I can't think of the film without getting a song stuck in my head. Well worth a watch
  5. May 22, 2013
    Yes, Hairspray is indeed a fun filled film with plenty of nice little jokes, references to 80s films and some surprisingly dark moments. But the film weaves in from camp, in and out, and lacks a whole lotta logic...not to mention a somewhat disturbing appearance from John Travolta.
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    It fails on almost every level to be the amazing-ness of the 1988 original. Also, John Travolta acting as some bubblegum version of Divine is tacky and downright cinema blasphemy.
  7. Dec 31, 2012
    Easily my favourite musical and it's not hard to tell why because its full of catchy songs and stand-out performances from the cast. Not only is it a great concept but it's crosses over from a Broadway show to Film so easily! Nikki Blonsky in her first major role is just a delight and she is joined by so many talented stars here, but there's no looking past John Travolta and his hilarious portrayal of Edna! Overall a delightful film to watch and it will always be one of my favourites :) Expand
  8. Nov 1, 2012
    The best movie musical of all time.
  9. Sep 9, 2012
    One of the best movies I've seen and yet, I'm not really into musicals. The movie just made me stand up and dance all my way to the best "You Can't Stop the Beat". A movie with true and quality content, not the crappy films that are being released. Simply great!
  10. Jul 24, 2012
    It's supposed to be light-hearted, I can guarantee you that, but the bright colours just make everything look so garish. When it comes to making a feel-good musical comedy about racism, you've got to get the ingredients right - this just has a little too much sugar in it. Sometimes that songs can also get a little sickening each time you watch it as well. When it comes to John Travolta, he looks a little weird (and perhaps stupid) playing Tracy's mother. Nonetheless, it had clear boundaries over certain characters, understandably pointing out the antagonists from the good guys (and gals). I also found it fascinating about the depth of the exploration of Baltimore, where we met a few eccentric, yet funny, characters. Expand
  11. Apr 13, 2012
    Bravo! This is the best movie I have seen in years. The songs, dancing and music make this movie an enjoyable musical. Even if you don't like musicals, you are sure to walk out of the cinema or switch off your TV smiling.
  12. Apr 3, 2012
    A wonderfully entertaining movie. A very funny script with so many diverse characters. They all come together and shine in their performances. Just flat out enjoyable.
  13. Nov 23, 2011
    One thing for sure, this movie is definitely not my type. But in some way, it was entertaining at some parts which is why it only JUST gets a 4.

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    If you look fast, you'll see Waters himself in a cameo (as a flasher; what else?), proof the new film is in touch with its dyed roots.
  2. Reviewed by: Albert Williams
    With its wisecracking screenplay, period-perfect pop score, and Shankman's splashy choreography, this may be the funniest, dancingest screen musical since "Singin' in the Rain."
    Delivers an even bigger sugar rush than the hit Broadway musical.