6.4

1. Dec 8, 2012
    Is it as good as the first one? No. Is that a fair statement? No. Halloween II did its fair share to distance the franchise from its brilliant roots, and with no Carpenter on board, H4 didn't stand a chance to fully right the ship. That said, it got plenty of things right; this is probably the best of the many, many sequels in the series. Can't say I was crazy about Michael's mask in thisIs it as good as the first one? No. Is that a fair statement? No. Halloween II did its fair share to distance the franchise from its brilliant roots, and with no Carpenter on board, H4 didn't stand a chance to fully right the ship. That said, it got plenty of things right; this is probably the best of the many, many sequels in the series. Can't say I was crazy about Michael's mask in this one, and the opening murder scene is too much of a stretch, even for this kind of movie. On the plus side, the atmosphere and viewer psychology of the first movie are back; the traumatized town in a blackout makes an awesome setting, and there is a better balance of scare scenes versus down time, which tricks you into letting your guard down in time for big moments. And even though I was never that crazy about the ending, it is undoubtedly a clever attempt at bringing the franchise full circle. Of all the different canons of Halloween out there, the I-II-4 trilogy is the best, as long as you pretend that 5 and 6 never happened. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2010
    This movie was never going to be as good as the original, but thats expected. However, that doesn't mean that its not a good film. It was good for a fourth installment. The story has shifted from Lori Strode and that added new elements to the film. Loomis is back and is doing a good job as always. Overall, it was a good effort and is one of my favorite slasher film sequels.
  3. Oct 5, 2010
    Although the whole idea of Michael Myers is getting tedious at this point, there is no denying this film is well-made. For having a "4" tacked on the end of it, it's really not bad. It maintains a foreboding and ominous mood throughout, and does a good job at convincing you of the time of year (moody lighting, foggy streets etc.). Another thing it has going for it is a pretty creepyAlthough the whole idea of Michael Myers is getting tedious at this point, there is no denying this film is well-made. For having a "4" tacked on the end of it, it's really not bad. It maintains a foreboding and ominous mood throughout, and does a good job at convincing you of the time of year (moody lighting, foggy streets etc.). Another thing it has going for it is a pretty creepy ending. The atmosphere alone makes it a good halloween-time rental, but it's all been done before. Expand
  4. Nov 6, 2010
    this is way better than Halloweens 1 and 2.
  5. May 10, 2011
    This movie is alright, I think that either:Halloween II- Halloween 6 or Halloween:Resurrection are the best. This one could be a lot better. I don't hate it or anything, it just could have been a lot better.
  6. Dec 22, 2011
    Acting was ok but the kills were pretty generic and I expected better. Also i find it really hard to believe that a full grown man couldnt outrace a little girl. I love Halloween but my god, Its just so stupid at times.
  7. Oct 31, 2013
    Entertaining at parts, Sort of dumb in others. Doesn't have the same feel that the previous Halloween films had, Comes off as a generic horror film but with Michael Myers in it. Not a terrible movie but I expected better.
  8. Mar 11, 2012
    My favorite "Halloween" movie. I think it was very creative and twisted and just beautiful. I loved it very much! The actors and actresses were great, especially Donald Pleasence and Danielle Harris. Check it out.
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    The Return of The Shape! Long awaited by fans, and long scorned by critics as squandering any praiseworthy qualities of the first two films, Halloween IV manages to revive the series by revealing a new character that was later abandoned in the true successors to the originals (Halloween VII, Halloween VIII). While it does at least attempt to provoke some fear, it is through great timeThe Return of The Shape! Long awaited by fans, and long scorned by critics as squandering any praiseworthy qualities of the first two films, Halloween IV manages to revive the series by revealing a new character that was later abandoned in the true successors to the originals (Halloween VII, Halloween VIII). While it does at least attempt to provoke some fear, it is through great time wasted that those few seconds of fear are brought. A race through across the rooftop is literally the only memorable scene in this abysmal film. While not as weak and boring as the sixth installment, it does lack the enthralling camp of the fifth film, or the second to continue this direct plot. Expand
  10. Sep 20, 2013
    "Halloween 4" stands with the original "Halloween" on my list of favorite Halloween movies. The storyline to this film was fantastic. The acting was brilliant. Too bad that we didn't hear much from Ellie Cornell after this movie and Halloween 5, but she is a fantastic actress. Danielle Harris's portrayal of Jamie Lloyd, Laurie Strode's 9 year old daughter is what makes this movie my"Halloween 4" stands with the original "Halloween" on my list of favorite Halloween movies. The storyline to this film was fantastic. The acting was brilliant. Too bad that we didn't hear much from Ellie Cornell after this movie and Halloween 5, but she is a fantastic actress. Danielle Harris's portrayal of Jamie Lloyd, Laurie Strode's 9 year old daughter is what makes this movie my favorite. Brilliant actress. And of course, Donald Pleasence never ever disappoints. Expand
  11. Jan 11, 2014
    I thought it was ludicrous to create a sequel of the original two featuring the daughter of Jamie Lee Curtis' character. This was not badly filmed, but overall was not a great plot and seemed like a typical 80s slasher.
  12. Oct 30, 2014
    after the halloween 3 which was a confusing film , which i did not understand why they made a trilogy with out Micheal Myers , Now halloween 4 returns an shoves it in are faces which actually makes us feel better and we can forget about halloween 3. the story didn't piss me off its actually a character of Laurie Strode's daughter in the film which was actually shocking but she have doneafter the halloween 3 which was a confusing film , which i did not understand why they made a trilogy with out Micheal Myers , Now halloween 4 returns an shoves it in are faces which actually makes us feel better and we can forget about halloween 3. the story didn't piss me off its actually a character of Laurie Strode's daughter in the film which was actually shocking but she have done better ? ..... YES. But its still well same its deals with rage , sex killing scene which sucks and dumb Myers resurrecting. Grade A Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2014
    This is one of the better Halloween movies. It isn't perfect, but I really like it. The only real complaint I have is that Michael Myers is all bulky like a football player and his mask looks really cheap.

1. Reviewed by: Caryn James
    In this film, suspense and psychological horror have given way to superhuman strength and resilience...The one effectively handled scene is the last, which promises a sequel with a feminist twist.
    The final minute of Halloween 4 remains as unsettling today as it was during its 1988 theatrical run. The real reason to see this movie is not for the predictable build-up, but for the cliffhanger provided by director Dwight H. Little and screenwriter Alan B. McElroy.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    The best of the sequels to Carpenter's seminal slasher movie...Directed with flair by Little, who does not blatantly ape Carpenter's style, the movie delivers a number of effective chills without relying too heavily on the kinds of tired tricks and bloody gore that have made this genre a boring cliche.