5.7

1. Jan 25, 2013
    Not sure why this is getting such low reviews. It's a FUN movie, plain and simple. Just sit back and enjoy the cheesy one-liners and watching people get blown up. No, it's not a 10, but I gave it one to counter the unnecessarily low rating.

Oh, and, this is coming from someone who thought that Zero Dark Thirty and The Master were two of the best movies of last year.
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    I'm a fan of the idea of taking classic fairy tales and making them into more goofy and violent territory and this movie does just that. The movie isn't trying to be the smartest thing out there, it's just trying to be a violent, fun time and it succeeds at doing so. It's got gory action that's over the top, cheesy lines, and a heck of a lot of fun backing it up. So if you're in the moodI'm a fan of the idea of taking classic fairy tales and making them into more goofy and violent territory and this movie does just that. The movie isn't trying to be the smartest thing out there, it's just trying to be a violent, fun time and it succeeds at doing so. It's got gory action that's over the top, cheesy lines, and a heck of a lot of fun backing it up. So if you're in the mood to just watch a straight up over the top movie with a fairy tale theme then check out this one. You may just end up surprised at how much fun you had with it. Expand
  3. May 1, 2013
    From gore, to guts, Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters sure did live up to the title. The title is what sold the story. If you are the type of viewer who can handle an abundance of gory awesomeness, then I really recommend this film. If you are the type of viewer who loves the twists on classic fairy tales, then I also recommend this film. Most critics are being disgruntle these days, andFrom gore, to guts, Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters sure did live up to the title. The title is what sold the story. If you are the type of viewer who can handle an abundance of gory awesomeness, then I really recommend this film. If you are the type of viewer who loves the twists on classic fairy tales, then I also recommend this film. Most critics are being disgruntle these days, and definitely did not give this film the correct rating in my opinion, but who am I to talk. Word to wise.. This film didn't become a box-office sensation for no reason. The film earned it's spot rightfully. I recommend this film a billion times. I am not a big movie person, and hardly watch films, but I saw this film twice in theaters. It was just that amazing. Soon, this film will be available on DVD and BluRay for consumers to purchase. When it is released, RENT, or PURCHASE. The film will not have you sleeping, but on your toes, waiting for the next battle scene. Happy Watchings! -Jake Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2013
    Silly, violent and ridiculously great fun! Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters stays true to its title in the best possible way and really brings in the witch fighting awesomeness. With plenty of humour and bloody violence, this film is definitely one of the most fun 3D films in a while and will be enjoyed by fans of horror, fantasy and comedy alike.
  5. Mar 14, 2013
    Surprised to see such a low score from the critics.... this is no kiddie movie, but the "updated" story pulled me in and I really enjoyed it. I have always wondered what happened to the little kiddies of the kiddie story of old, now we know, in a very bloody and violent, however very entertaining way.
    Looking forward to more "updated" stories of kiddie stories, next Jack the Giant Slayer
  6. Jun 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I do not get it! Why so low marks? I loved it! Funniest movie in a long time. It was funny, exciting, adventures, epic and has a great classic story to it with a twist .The parts that I like most in the movie is when the witches get their ass kicked in by the witch hunters I think that witches and witch hunters are going to be the next big thing, so good bye vampires and werewolves and hello witches.
    But there are some disadvantages of the movie, like it was short and parts of the movie got boring for me but overall it was a good movie.
  7. Aug 10, 2014
    Why does this film get low reviews? It is such an entertaining movie which takes itself not serious. It was one the most entertaining films i have seen so far. Overall the humor works well, the characters are entertaining and the fight scenes are great.
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    This movie is an updated modern telling of the wicked witch story with a depth to the story that is at first hidden by the killer action sequences. I loved the light fast paced style and likeable stars. Ultimately, the point of the story is that killing witches is fun for so many reasons, and that every witch story doesn't have to be a takeoff on The Wizard of Oz to be meaningful. ForThis movie is an updated modern telling of the wicked witch story with a depth to the story that is at first hidden by the killer action sequences. I loved the light fast paced style and likeable stars. Ultimately, the point of the story is that killing witches is fun for so many reasons, and that every witch story doesn't have to be a takeoff on The Wizard of Oz to be meaningful. For me, the breakthrough this movie makes is to take an entirely fun path toward de-sympathizing wishes. Gone is the story that all witches are misunderstood weirdos who deserve to live. Instead, here is a clear cut evil that has to be destroyed, and unlike zombies and vampires who have also been sentimentalized, this movie hopefully introduces a new trend of kicking evil in the ass. Expand
  9. Jan 25, 2013
    Very fast-paced, lots of action, not much dialogues, awesome battle scenes, memorable characters. Firearms and gadgets that make a different feel than just a nightmarish fairytale. Hopefully the ending meant that there will be a continuation. P.S. No idea why the score is so low.
  10. Jan 30, 2013
    I also don't understand why so many low reviews. This was a really fun movie to watch! It was not sloppy like people are saying. It was very coherent. Again, it was a ton of FUN. The key word is fun. Give it a try. I hope it does well enough for a 2nd installment.
  11. Jan 26, 2013
    Rock 'em, sock 'em fun time. I laughed at least 10 times (so much ridiculous stuff), saw some sweet witch kills, got to stare at Gemma Arterton, and most importantly, I had a ton of fun. This movie is a blast and everyone who likes to have fun should see it.
  12. May 19, 2013
    Cool weapons, many blood, and whol movie is full of action. I really recomend this movie to everyone because it's SOOOO FUN TO WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!WATCH IT NOW!
  13. Jan 29, 2013
    The movie is awesome, fun, funny, gory, good story, a little short though. The only reason why I gave it a 9 it's because it should have been slightly longer. Loved the costumes and sets. The candy house was great. The witches were great. The actors were where they needed to be. The critics who gave poor reviews are retards, the trailer was very clear in showing what to expect, it's a fastThe movie is awesome, fun, funny, gory, good story, a little short though. The only reason why I gave it a 9 it's because it should have been slightly longer. Loved the costumes and sets. The candy house was great. The witches were great. The actors were where they needed to be. The critics who gave poor reviews are retards, the trailer was very clear in showing what to expect, it's a fast paced action packed dark fairytale for adults. Expand
  14. Feb 16, 2013
    so... i just saw this, and it is, along with gangster squad, the most criminally underrated film of the year thus far, it is a real treat to watch in 3d, the action is badass and entertaining, the characters are well developed and unique, there are some genuinely funny moments, and all the cast (even peter stormare) does a fine job, if you love action movies, i cannot emphasize thisso... i just saw this, and it is, along with gangster squad, the most criminally underrated film of the year thus far, it is a real treat to watch in 3d, the action is badass and entertaining, the characters are well developed and unique, there are some genuinely funny moments, and all the cast (even peter stormare) does a fine job, if you love action movies, i cannot emphasize this enough: WATCH THIS MOVIE... ESPECIALLY IN 3D Expand
  15. Jan 26, 2013
    Great mindless CGI movie that's fun to watch. Only three complaints: I didn't care for the stupid humor that was the sole purpose of a minor character and I really hate action sequences that are shot in close and fast with a handheld camera. The choppy editing was also extremely annoying; otherwise I would have given this popcorn movie a 9 or 10.
  16. Jan 28, 2013
    Storyline: This is the story of Hansal and Gretel but this is the adult horror version. Hansal (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton) are now famous witch hunters and travel the ancient lands fighting witches in all their guises. This is not a film you take too seriously and all though there's loads of blood and guts there are funny moments too.

Acting: Famke Janssen, who I enjoy

Acting: Famke Janssen, who I enjoy in movies, plays the main evil witch and with the make-up is brilliant. She looked as if she enjoyed herself. Jeremy Renner was not bad either but of the two Gemma Arterton gave the better performance. I loved Peter Stormare as the sheriff, he must be busy as I just saw him in The Last Stand a few days ago. Overall I really enjoyed everyone in this.

Direction: This is Tommy Wirkola's first English speaking movie and the first time he's had a big budget. The film doesn't exactly suffer for it but you can't help feeling the problems I noticed with the pacing and how the timing in certain scenes is out when the actors are interacting with one another might not have occurred in someone else's hands.

Production: $60 million is a fair budget and mostly it was well spent like the make up, CG and of course the actors but the set designs were too generic and had no touches that lent to authenticity. I loved all the gadgets they used and thought they helped make the story a bit more exciting. Also the CG guys were great too.

Conclusion: I enjoy these types of film and liked the cast too. The effects weren't the best I've seen but were acceptable and the blood and gut effects were great and there's loads of them. Recommended

Score: 7/10
  17. Jan 28, 2013
    What is wrong with you people? This movie is a fun, re imagining of the hansel and gretel story. You should definitely buy this and see it in theaters. The story is good with no plot holes. The characters are good, none of them are bland. The Special effect are good especially when i tell you that most of the special effects in that movie were practical. The 3D is better than most moviesWhat is wrong with you people? This movie is a fun, re imagining of the hansel and gretel story. You should definitely buy this and see it in theaters. The story is good with no plot holes. The characters are good, none of them are bland. The Special effect are good especially when i tell you that most of the special effects in that movie were practical. The 3D is better than most movies you will see in 3D, mostly because there is alot of it. The art style is great, Their weapons are most definitely bad ass. the Villains of this movie are cool. There is a lot of variation between the witches so they don't all look the same, but you will hate this one short haired **** witch. The sound track is awesome. The dialogue is great, with alot of emotion put in this movie. All in all this is an awesome fun action movie that's worth a look. Now if you excuse me, me and my high caliber rifle, need to go kill some witches Expand
  18. Jan 31, 2013
    hahaha, I loved it! Funniest movie in a long time.
    I wish this director could team up with people like Jonah Hill! Renner does not fit for this kind of movies
    10!
  19. Jan 25, 2013
    This was a fun movie and was different and action packed from start to finish. It is a short movie and the audience seemed to like it also as I randomly ask people what they thought about the movie. All responses I got were good. You want to see a bad bad movie go watch Zero Dark Thirty. I was falling asleep which I have never done before. Give President Obama and our military a 10 forThis was a fun movie and was different and action packed from start to finish. It is a short movie and the audience seemed to like it also as I randomly ask people what they thought about the movie. All responses I got were good. You want to see a bad bad movie go watch Zero Dark Thirty. I was falling asleep which I have never done before. Give President Obama and our military a 10 for getting Bin Laden. The popcorn was good, but Zero Dark Thirty stunk like sh*t. 2 thumbs up for Hansel & Gretal. Expand
  20. Jan 25, 2013
    I think that Witch Hunters will be very bad film. But when I watch this film in the cinema, I changed my opinion about this. Hansel & Gretel is very cheerful, interesting, but not ideal. It has many problems. But superior advantages disadvantages. And this is enough, that film to be liked.
  21. Aug 12, 2013
    While this film is far from brilliant it is allot of fun and takes a pretty amusing turn on a classic fairytale. I can understand why the more critical would score this so low, but for sheer mindless fun, it does it's job.

Overall:
    As long as you go into it with no expectations and turn your mind off, you will enjoy it.
  22. Feb 9, 2013
    Great movie! Awesome 3D effects. The story line wasn't the greatest. But I didn't get bored and has action and great special effects.To me that make up for the OK acting and Teenage plot line.
  23. Feb 16, 2013
    This is called a Movie. An actual, splatterfest with so much gore you will end up laughing. Hansel and Gretel Witch hunters is a GREAT movie, it's really good because all we see today is critically acclaimed movies like Argo and Flight. I mean those movies were great but this is real entertainment. It's just a entertaining movie. The witches idea was well compelled by the director TommyThis is called a Movie. An actual, splatterfest with so much gore you will end up laughing. Hansel and Gretel Witch hunters is a GREAT movie, it's really good because all we see today is critically acclaimed movies like Argo and Flight. I mean those movies were great but this is real entertainment. It's just a entertaining movie. The witches idea was well compelled by the director Tommy Wirkola, so this movie is basically Shaun Of The Dead with Fancy Guns with Hunters and With Witches. It's is a real movie. If critics could have examined it closely......... Well 10/10 for me! Splatterfest ahoy! Collapse
  24. Aug 18, 2013
    It's unfair to call it "bad" as it never intended to be "good" in the first place. It's a spoof-ish movie, and it does the job quite well. The violence was hilarious and everything else was over-the-top as it should be. I have to say I quite enjoyed this one.
  25. Aug 18, 2013
    Waited a long time before watching this movie, because of the low reviews. And again, it shows that you should never follow critics when it comes to movies. This movie is exactly what it was meant to be. It's not pretending to be something else. It's an over the top movie with lots of gore, cheesy one-liners and nice effects. As stated in other user reviews, it's fun, plain and simple.Waited a long time before watching this movie, because of the low reviews. And again, it shows that you should never follow critics when it comes to movies. This movie is exactly what it was meant to be. It's not pretending to be something else. It's an over the top movie with lots of gore, cheesy one-liners and nice effects. As stated in other user reviews, it's fun, plain and simple. Having said that, the dialogue could certainly be better. The one-liners aren't really funny most of the time. Better writing with more clever and witty dialogues would have made this movie seem less shallow. Overall, i really enjoyed it for what it is. Another downside is that i'll probably have a crush on Gemma Arterton for the next few weeks Expand
  26. May 26, 2013
    If you ignore the reviews you may find this film a really enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. The 2 leads are obviously having a lot of fun and are very easy on the eye. The story thunders along, granted in a somewhat predictable and formulaic manner, with lots of great set pieces and some good comedy lines. The steampunk weapons and fights are really exciting. The only downside forIf you ignore the reviews you may find this film a really enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. The 2 leads are obviously having a lot of fun and are very easy on the eye. The story thunders along, granted in a somewhat predictable and formulaic manner, with lots of great set pieces and some good comedy lines. The steampunk weapons and fights are really exciting. The only downside for me was that it's a little too gory at times, particularly when children are involved. Other than that this is brilliant popcorn fun. I'm glad to hear they're doing a sequel. Expand
  27. Jan 2, 2014
    Don't trust the reviews that movies is just Great!Trust your gut and enjoy the movie.Movie have everything you want good acting,good actions,great sense of humor,great fun
  28. May 28, 2013
    Critics calling this movie brain dead, should check their own brains.
    What were they expecting, a sophisticated drama? This movie delivers on what it promised, lots of action, witch slaying with some pretty creative weapons and gadgets.
    Sometimes you just need to sit back, chill out and suspend your believe for a moment, and just enjoy the bloody movie. As for the f-bombs, if
    Critics calling this movie brain dead, should check their own brains.

As for the f-bombs, if overused it does become old, I must admit.
  29. May 8, 2013
    Because of no expectations, I actually enjoyed this movie quite a lot. It is a fun movie. It is by no means exceptional in any way but it serves its purpose, to offer enjoyment.
    I would compare it to funnier Van Helsing with lower budget.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 2, 2013
    This movie is a case in point. It's a film which is so demeaningly bad, so utterly without merit, that there is a kind of purity in its awfulness. There is a Zen mastery in producing a film which nullifies the concept of pleasure.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Feb 9, 2013
    Though it gives good splat and the scenery’s to die for, Hansel & Gretel gets just about everything wrong. Hammy, boring, chronically unfunny - there’ll be nightmares before bedtime.
  3. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jan 30, 2013
    In his English-language debut, Wirkola dabbles in everything but commits to nothing, making for an unmemorable brew best left untasted.