Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 19, 2010
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 893 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
TheMudDoctorAug 26, 2011
The Harry Potter films are the highest grossing film franchise of all time. This is precisely why when I heard that the final of J.K. Rowlingâ
marnee96Nov 4, 2011
The story is compelling and thrilling, the characters are well developed and expertly acted. Although, my only problem with this is that the pace can be a little too quick, thus, certain bits of the story feel rushed and are quite confusingThe story is compelling and thrilling, the characters are well developed and expertly acted. Although, my only problem with this is that the pace can be a little too quick, thus, certain bits of the story feel rushed and are quite confusing for those who haven't read the book. 3/4 stars. Expand
ZilcellMar 23, 2012
Deathly Hallows Pt 1 is definitely a breath of fresh air after having 6 movies take place at Hogwarts, as the setting is more of a traveling fantasy movie.
StevenFJul 17, 2013
The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching,The penultimate entry and the first half of the final book of the massive Harry Potter franchise is truly the best for so many reasons, its well-paced, its real, its frightening but most of all, its human. It is truly heart-wrenching, emotionally exhausting but brings these characters to full light and makes us realise why we care for them so much.
The wizarding world is in a true form of terror, murder, abduction and general abandonment, Harry and his friends have decided not to return to Hogwarts but instead search for the remaining Horcruxes that Lord Voldemort uses to split his soul, therefore he cannot die. But their journey is of course the hardest challenge they have ever had to face, after the tragic events of the sixth film they are very much alone. The absence of help, and their limited knowledge on what exactly they are looking for puts a strain on the once foolproof friendship of our hero, Ron and Hermione. Ron is growing increasingly frustrated with Harry's lack of results, while Hermione simply doesn't know which side to take.
The film visits many avenues it hasn't gone to before, we see scenes included that were not even in the book, yet fit so perfectly within the film, its a story of perseverance and loyalty, but also a journey into the unknown, so trust is in there too. The fact that there are less characters for a better part of the film outlines the strength these three unlikely heroes can carry, with superb acting, particularly that of Emma Watson, who leaves behind the know it all schoolgirl and becomes the mothering, edgy and loveable female of the trio, holding the other two together and making sure they are always looking ahead.
The heartache and depth of drama unfold as the film goes on, but it is the humanly touch of seemingly everything that we see, Harry visiting the grave of his parents, Hermione reminiscing about going on holiday with her parents, whose memories of herself she erased, these, while magical and part of the books, seem so down to earth that there is a unique and almost vulnerable feel to the film, and while obviously not clear to anyone who joins the franchise this late on, it could stand on its own as a perfect pre- swan song.
Certainly the most emotional journey of the lot, with some excellent effects and landscapes put in as Harry and his friends travel across the country.
Well acted and superbly tied in to be the first half of the end, probably the best to date.
javis10Jan 11, 2012
In my opinion this movie was executed very fast, making the lack of action. Although it was OK for starting the ending of a wonderful saga. I feel this movie very depressing.
Bruce722Jan 11, 2013
This is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point ofThis is probably the best of the movies so far in terms of how closely they stayed to the book. Obviously there are many things differing but they seemed to capture the essence of every major point from the book... at least up to the point of the break before the final installment. It's tough to give the movie a perfect rating because as an individual film, it obviously lacks the conclusion that's provided in the last film. Nonetheless, awesomely done and I can't wait to watch the final film in the series! Expand
AquophisDec 28, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can sorta understand why this penultimate installment to the HP film series was received so tepidly. Much of DH Part 1 is spent milling around, looking for horcruxes, and it doesn't do much justice for those who haven't read the book. Many people may just skip this one in favor of the impeccably epic Part 2, but there's still much to be enjoyed in Part 1 - the only difference is that it tells more of a human story than an adventure story. Ron's insecurities and resentments rear their ugly head in the form of the locket, and we watch as he comes to terms with them and makes his peace with his friends. Dobby's death is made all the more heartbreaking with the addition of a few choice lines of dialogue, and the climax in Malfoy Manor is satisfying enough. The appeal lies more in the scene's emotional execution than its actual action. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
This was the first time I read the book before seeing a Harry Potter film. I am yet to decide whether it worked against me or not, to have that prior experience of the story. I was not sure what to expect, so I didn't expect much (just inThis was the first time I read the book before seeing a Harry Potter film. I am yet to decide whether it worked against me or not, to have that prior experience of the story. I was not sure what to expect, so I didn't expect much (just in case). I wasn't prepared to be this disappointed, however.

In the book, there are a lot of pages (anyone who has read it or even seen it knows that). There are also a lot of smaller and bigger events that gradually add to the big picture. Small details that fill the void around the main events. While I found the book dragging and a bit boring at places, I still expected them to make the film do something good with it.

What happens here is that they set off with zero warning or explanation (having read the book I had some kind of idea of what was going on, but otherwise the events stayed quote hollow if you view the film alone, lacking the emotional impact).

The film dashes from one scene to the next. People show up, old and new, hear news, move forward, from one place to the next. The characters don't work, the plot is too jerky to really make sense, and I had the feeling that had I not read the book, I would not have had any idea about half the stuff taking place on he screen and what certain comments between characters meant.

The fighting scenes were very fast and flashy; the camera kept moving, making me almost nauseous. It was hard to tell who they were following, where they were running, and exactly who was shooting spells at whom. Sure, that's realistic, but it's also in the power of a film to step out of that hectic-ness and show us, in outsider's perspective, what is really going on. To enjoy the moment rather than rush through it.

If the second part of the movie is going to be like this, I'm not going to look forward to it all that much. I feel like they tampered too much with the original so that they could get ahead fast. Sure, fast is good sometimes, if you're dealing multiple storylines, but this felt more like fast-forwarding and dropping out everything that could be dropped, costing some information that seemed rather important in the book and robbing the film of any real emotional charge: the characters had no time to work, and their moods felt unjustified. Angry, sad, joyous... it was hard to follow why exactly each and every one of those emotions took place.

Not my favorite Potter movie. In fact, this might end up being my least favorite one, simply because they butchered any chance at good story-telling by rushing forward, bringing in ingredients from the book and simply making a mess of it.

Three stars for the movie looking good and the small moments of stillness that made sense, but... that's about it.
MegWhiteleyMar 28, 2012
I think that the movie can be better, in some parts is boring, but is an excellent first part, because if you watching this film with Deathly Hallows Part 2 is an epic film.
beingryanjudeAug 25, 2014
I will admit my dislike for David Yates' previous work with the Harry Potter series, but I found this to be more than redemption. A unbelievable prologue to the final installment--it's remarkable and a return to form.
csw12Feb 17, 2015
This movie is an absolute waste of time. Nothing happens except you waste more than 2 hours of your life watching complete darkness and hearing nothing. Too many times people are sitting around and doing nothing. Just get to part 2 and stopThis movie is an absolute waste of time. Nothing happens except you waste more than 2 hours of your life watching complete darkness and hearing nothing. Too many times people are sitting around and doing nothing. Just get to part 2 and stop with this nonsense. Expand
Trev29May 21, 2013
This movie was dreadfully boring and a poor adaptation of the book. This could have been a very unique movie that could have been wonderfully directed with style, but everything fell flat. Hugely disappointing on too many levels.
OfficialNov 1, 2013
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is directed once again by David Yates. He gives us the action sequences early in the film but slowly becomes a slightly dull camping sequence where not much is happening. However, the film ends"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is directed once again by David Yates. He gives us the action sequences early in the film but slowly becomes a slightly dull camping sequence where not much is happening. However, the film ends with the perfect cliffhanger, making us anxious for the final film in the Harry Potter series. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
This film may just be a prelude, but it is an outstanding one. You get a shiver running down your spine at the end, you can just tell what's coming. Boy, did I not want this film to end! The acting is superb, the camera work is beautiful andThis film may just be a prelude, but it is an outstanding one. You get a shiver running down your spine at the end, you can just tell what's coming. Boy, did I not want this film to end! The acting is superb, the camera work is beautiful and the cast continues to charm. What a great series! Expand
axelkochJan 13, 2014
The film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres andThe film may be too complex to grasp the first time watching it and also doesn't exactly spare clichés and silly exposition conversations, yet is still a rich and multiply-layered film that succeeds in including all the necessary genres and making it seem genuine. All of this is due to a top-notch crew and a huge gathering of immensely talented British actors, this time expanded by Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans above others. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 is intense, moving, and highly entertaining and serves as a perfect set-up for the finale of this fantastic franchise. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
This Potter, though it has some great moments, is sadly overshadowed by boring stretching and meandering of plot.
FilmEqualsJoyNov 10, 2012
The first year out of Hogwarts. By far the darkest and deepest entry yet. One almost feels unsafe when the main characters are out and about. Anything could happen. This is a highpoint of the HP films.
jfrotylpe532Dec 21, 2012
3 words describe this movie. So damn exciting.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
It is a little slow at times, but in the end "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1" does ultimately make itself feel like a worthwhile cinematic experience.
worleyjamersJan 10, 2013
Slow-moving, but this character driven entry delivers just as much as any great thriller would, although it does feel a bit like the prequel it is. Great performances by Radcliffe and Watson.
HaithamBayazeedMay 11, 2013
It is better than ever Harry Potter is now finding the evil in himself, and the war that is coming is consuming all, thoughts are playing in characters' minds and Lord Voldemort is getting stronger than ever!
forestvilleMar 30, 2013
This movie gives a real impression, really, but there are many details that make this not quite good.
It has a good start, a good fight to avoid boredom aerial fast.
The film is very tense and accelerated to give you that excitement comes
It has a good start, a good fight to avoid boredom aerial fast.
The film is very tense and accelerated to give you that excitement comes from despair and anxiety, but the pace has accelerated, many incoherent things about the plot, I will not say them because if you read the book and see the movie you can give cueta what they are. It incoeherente with the series, not the movie itself.
The acting is good but many of the cast are still acting like it's supposed to be your scene, many scenes are very raw and should act as unique are the three main characters really were glorious this time, they have proven to the world grandeur film but the ones I liked were Rupert Grint and Emma Watson really make the viewer feel that anguish, fear and fury of that journey to defeat the Dark Lord, but the rest of the cast does not align very well and paper consumption that's a good problem.
The special effects are good, make it look all relista movie, the music is good but loose, is very good and disturbing scenes with street style and adult can enjoy especially people who do not usually like this kind of movies Adaptation is the best of the series, even if inconsistent with the series, but ruling that the film is consistent with itself, arguably no need to read the first part of the book, only if you do not want to confuse you with the characters but generally not necessary.
It is a good movie worth watching all the public, is entertaining and is the most mature of the entire Harry Potter series. You must see it.
My Score: 8.0
TrilobiteGAug 9, 2015
Although the drama between Ron and Harry in this film bothers me and it's resolution is laughable to some extent, you just have to give credit to this movie and it's psychological aspect to how the dark arts are messing with someone's headAlthough the drama between Ron and Harry in this film bothers me and it's resolution is laughable to some extent, you just have to give credit to this movie and it's psychological aspect to how the dark arts are messing with someone's head and how death leaves a mark on even the happiest occasions. I just got to give credit to this film for so superbly setting up what is to come. Expand
mds03Apr 14, 2013
Such an improvement over the sixth one. Almost constantly entertaining, riveting, and unpredictable the whole running time. You will never know what hit you. Such a good start to ending the fantastically written and directed Harry Potter series.
SEROJMar 28, 2013
I couldn't believe that the end of Harry Potter is near! This part was great and very important, because you must watch it before the last part, or you'll not understand! The only reason why i'm not giving it a 8/10 is because it was a bitI couldn't believe that the end of Harry Potter is near! This part was great and very important, because you must watch it before the last part, or you'll not understand! The only reason why i'm not giving it a 8/10 is because it was a bit boring and it reminded me of Twilight,especially when they were in the forest. But that's why it has 2 parts, because it's not unfinished and the best is yet to come. It's a MUST WATCH if you're going to watch the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Expand
Movie1997Sep 8, 2013
There are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with aThere are people that think that this one is bad because of its slow pace. Honestly, I think it works well for what it has to offer. Probably not the best place for a slow Harry Potter story, but for sure picks it up in the end, along with a sad death scene. Overall, slow is the case for making Part 1 of the big finale work. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
MalevolentMay 31, 2013
This is my favorite film in the franchise. Any Harry Potter fan who doesn't like this movie is just downright crazy. The action sequences were great and the movie was very similar to the book. I remember watching this in theaters and I wasThis is my favorite film in the franchise. Any Harry Potter fan who doesn't like this movie is just downright crazy. The action sequences were great and the movie was very similar to the book. I remember watching this in theaters and I was just blown away. The acting was great and the suspense will have you at the edge of your seat. Expand
Pranay6Mar 15, 2014
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 also bravely faces the future, slipping with expert ease among the thrilling mass of complications (and complicated set pieces) that Rowling throws fans in the final sprint, then guiding theHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 also bravely faces the future, slipping with expert ease among the thrilling mass of complications (and complicated set pieces) that Rowling throws fans in the final sprint, then guiding the faithful to the fate that awaits everyone in this world, the moment called The End. Expand
BrunoADJun 14, 2013
A very well done movie road.

A very well done movie road.

The first time I saw HP7 Part 1 liked, loved the second, and I must say it was a great movie, great moments from the great effect at the Battle of the Seven Potters scene in the ministry, until the death of Dobby, great track sonoroa made the cast remains good, Emma Watson stands out among the trio, film photography is brilliant as that of HP6 and script does not fail at all, only I forgot to say that the scenes of Hogwarts, but because not only I but like all fans also wanted to have seen what was happening at Hogwarts while the trio was on the road.
AReviewsJun 25, 2013
This time Harry Potter is different in a good way, it is certainly excellent, by far the best, with some disturbing imagery and scenes, and enchanting over the top action sequences, it is the best one and the most thrilling.
jeff_reviewsJul 12, 2013
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is darker than ever, but unlike Part 2, it has issues with its usage of deep dark depth in its plotting. The film is still interesting enough to watch, and as a Harry Potter fan, I thought they managed to pull parts off well, but I thought that the book it portrayed did a much better job hooking readers, as did the film hooked audiences. The film does have a lovely soundtrack that fits the darker tone and in all honesty, it is a wonderful film to watch. Expand
DibbHansenJul 14, 2013
The darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that everThe darkest film in the series also contains some of the best and most fresh sequences in the entire series. It has heart, true heart; great direction, fantastic music (Alexandre Desplat is another one of the greatest composers that ever lived), amazing acting and visuals- this film really does the source material justice by splitting the last book into two. This film really gets you involved emotionally and it delivers, always. It is a fantastic piece of work. Expand
TheApplegnomeFeb 19, 2014
A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

A mysterious movie that has entertaining scenes and an spectacular story.

The opening scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I is great and exciting. The movie is very well made and the actors couldn't have been more awesome as they are, and the story is spectacular. The movie also contains some humorous scenes that I really enjoyed. The negative things about this movie is that it contains to much slow scenes that doesn't got a high amount of action, which made it a little boring. Another bad thing is that the movie itself didn't contain anything new or spectacular, and I think it might could have happened more in this movie, but also that the music could have been more touching.
Even though this movie contains slowness is it still a great movie, because it got an awesome ending and the movie overall felt mysterious well made.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I gets a 8/10
FreedomFightersDec 5, 2016
I still remember my reaction when I heard that the final Harry Potter film would be divided into two parts. It was a resounding, "what?" I wasn't sure if that would be the best idea in the world, because even if the book is pretty long, is itI still remember my reaction when I heard that the final Harry Potter film would be divided into two parts. It was a resounding, "what?" I wasn't sure if that would be the best idea in the world, because even if the book is pretty long, is it worth two movies? The answer is "yes." "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" (which I'll probably just call "Part 1" for the rest of the review) is well-acted, well-filmed, visually great, and successful in its darker tone and mood. Even if it doesn't stand as the best film in the franchise, "Part 1" is a great film that fans of the franchise will absolutely enjoy. Expand
joao1198pedroNov 28, 2013
Cutting the final chapter in two parts made the first one be a little bit without emotion,i'd liked the actuation(just daniel redcliffe that was never so good after all)and it was an good final preparing to the battle.
nickrovertOct 24, 2013
'Deathly Hallows: Part I' is an incredibly well-acted and visually stunning precursor to the franchise's final installment and serves as a tense character-driven penultimate film. However, it can't help but feel like an obvious prelude.
RayzorMooseNov 17, 2013
Harry Potter has a seventh crack at success.
Harry Potter has a seventh crack at success.
Although not very much excitement or as much entertainment do to this somewhat anti climatic film, it still succeeds with a good story. By splitting the book into two parts the movie ends at an odd cliff hanger that wouldn't have been acceptable with the other films.
AaronWasserman2May 4, 2014
Everything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the actionEverything is different now, the trio is on the run having to survive on there own. Things are very dark and more adult themed in part 1. While the film takes a while to build the performances are what is so good about this film, the action is enjoyable as well. But Deathly Hallows 1 does have a long down time....as personal drama comes between the trio...then picks up for an epic part 1 finally that leaves you craving part 2. Expand
AdrianChanJul 27, 2014
The pacing of this movie is super slow, making the film ultra boring. There is barely any plot in this movie. Nearly 0 action / intense moment. I almost fell asleep when it is about 1 hour. A total waste of time. I expect much much more fromThe pacing of this movie is super slow, making the film ultra boring. There is barely any plot in this movie. Nearly 0 action / intense moment. I almost fell asleep when it is about 1 hour. A total waste of time. I expect much much more from this movie. It is very disappointing. Expand
FranlaviSep 26, 2014
This movie must be the most boring of the series after the order of the phoenix. Is extremely bored and pathetic. I'm not recommend it or fans of the saga.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on theirHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final adventure in the Harry Potter film series, is a much-anticipated motion picture event to be told in two full-length parts. Part 1 begins as Harry, Ron and Hermione set out on their perilous mission to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's immortality and destruction--the Horcruxes. On their own, without the guidance of their professors or the protection of Professor Dumbledore, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever. But there are Dark Forces in their midst that threaten to tear them apart. Meanwhile, the wizarding world has become a dangerous place for all enemies of the Dark Lord. The long-feared war has begun and Voldemort's Death Eaters seize control of the Ministry of Magic and even Hogwarts, terrorizing and arresting anyone who might oppose them. But the one prize they still seek is the one most valuable to Voldemort: Harry Potter. The Chosen One has become the hunted one as the Death Eaters search for Harry with orders to bring him to Voldemort...alive. Harry's only hope is to find the Horcruxes before Voldemort finds him. But as he searches for clues, he uncovers an old and almost forgotten tale--the legend of the Deathly Hallows. And if the legend turns out to be true, it could give Voldemort the ultimate power he seeks. Little does Harry know that his future has already been decided by his past when, on that fateful day, he became "the Boy Who Lived." No longer just a boy, Harry Potter is drawing ever closer to the task for which he has been preparing since the day he first stepped into Hogwarts: the ultimate battle with Voldemort. Expand
JohnMasterLJul 14, 2015
A pesar de que " THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE" ignora por completo la trama y las situaciones del libro original, David Yates hace una maravilla en "The Deathly Hallows Part 1" no solo es de las mejores adaptaciones que podras ver en mucho tiempo,A pesar de que " THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE" ignora por completo la trama y las situaciones del libro original, David Yates hace una maravilla en "The Deathly Hallows Part 1" no solo es de las mejores adaptaciones que podras ver en mucho tiempo, sino también regresa el estilo original y oscuro que Harry Potter tenia desde "The Prisoner of Azkaban" y "The Goblet of Fire" Divertida, oscura e increíble. Expand
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Contrary to popular belief, this isn't the worst Potter installment and while it may be slow-paced, it is the most true to the book adaption besides the first two. The Ministry of Magic and Malfoy Manor scenes are true standouts in the series.
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
Once again, the Harry Potter filmmakers and actors have done a magnificent job translating JKR's masterpiece to the screen. I'm sop glad they decided to divide this movie into two parts since it's allowed them to be even truer to the 759 page story.
MrMovieBuffNov 16, 2016
It's not easy to adapt J.K. Rowling's longest "Harry Potter" book, so the safe choice was to split it into two movies. Obviously, this means that the first half would be least eventful, and the second portion of the story would be fast-pacedIt's not easy to adapt J.K. Rowling's longest "Harry Potter" book, so the safe choice was to split it into two movies. Obviously, this means that the first half would be least eventful, and the second portion of the story would be fast-paced and always moving. 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1' is a haunting, effective, emotionally stirring and chilling chapter into the iconic franchise. We see our main heroes; Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) running around alone in the woods looking for more horcruxes to destroy. Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes) has also planned on how he is to attack Harry, with the help of Snape (Alan Rickman) telling him where he might be at all times. This informs that Harry is unsafe, and even anyone who knows him is also at risk of getting killed since they are to tag along with him on their journey. There isn't much to the movie's premise as it does mostly follow our three heroes running in the woods, but what I loved most is that, without the overlong presence of Fiennes, Rickman, Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson etc. this movie gives more room for Radcliffe, Watson and Grint to showcase their emotional weight for their characters. You feel exactly what they feel, they are confused, angry, upset... a whole roller coaster of emotions just escape these characters, and the actors play them well. This might not be everyone's favorite "Potter" chapter, but it's definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of acting and atmosphere. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
From a purely business standpoint, the decision to bifurcate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a winner. Instead of cashing in about $300 million at the domestic box office, Warner Brothers can now count on at least $600 million (biggerFrom a purely business standpoint, the decision to bifurcate Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a winner. Instead of cashing in about $300 million at the domestic box office, Warner Brothers can now count on at least $600 million (bigger world-wide). And, if the second part is released in 3-D (as has been threatened), the surcharge could boost that total to stratospheric levels. Still, what's good for the cash box isn't always good for the audience. From a creative perspective, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One is a disappointment. It's tough to review what amounts to half a movie since, by its nature, the story remains rough-hewn and unfinished. A year from now, once both pieces are available and stitched together into a mammoth 5-hour epic, perhaps the experience will more closely resemble The Return of the King than Return of the Jedi.

With Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, it appears that the filmmakers have given up on making the saga accessible to those not steeped in Potter lore - or at least those who have not read the books. There were indications of this in the previous film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but it's more evident in this one. Lacking a handy cheat-sheet, it's almost impossible to understand everything that's going on. For example, where does Brendan Gleeson's Mad-Eye Moody disappear to? Readers of the book know, but you have to listen carefully to get the rushed explanation in the movie. His fate is not shown; it's relayed in a perfunctory fashion in the midst of a chaotic scene. There are other problems along this line - characters appearing who have never been properly introduced (or may not be remembered). Where did John Hurt come from? It would take an impressive memory to recall his previous Harry Potter appearance, which occurred in 2001. Subplots are concluded with nary a word of explanation. Those who know the books won't be the least bit put off or confused - they have the necessary background. Neophytes (do those exist?) or those who have experienced the Harry Potter universe solely through the cinematic representations will experience at least a degree of frustration.

Speaking of frustration, there's the ending. As one might anticipate, it's a cliffhanger, although not of the sort that will have fans throwing empty popcorn containers at the screen. The story simply stops, and that's annoying. It's like sex where one of the participants has a change of heart after foreplay. There's some enjoyment to be had but that's overshadowed by the desire to bring the experience to a completion. All the previous Harry Potter movies have existed as self-contained stories within a larger framework - even The Half-Blood Prince, which was as much set-up as narrative. That's not the case with The Deathly Hallows Part One. There's no payoff. The movie builds erratically to the moment when the end credits start rolling. After sacrificing nearly 2 1/2 hours to this movie, there's a sense that more is deserved. Perhaps that "more" is waiting for us, and The Deathly Hallows Part Two will redeem Part One but, as I write this review, I have only the first movie to make judgments on, and those are mixed.

The pace is uneven, with sluggish passages interspersed with taut action scenes and more meaningful instances of character interaction and exposition. There's an entertainingly original animated sequence (telling the story behind the title), but its inclusion seems more an indulgence than a necessity. Approximately half the running length follows the intrepid trio on a camping expedition - something that might work well on the written page but tends to drag on screen. The unhurried approach also defuses some of the suspense, although it helps to build the sense of dread. The Deathly Hallows Part One is working up to the final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort, but that's all it does - works up to it. From beginning to end, this movie is a study in anticlimax. There's a sense of the narrative going in circles and not advancing much. Quests are a fantasy staple, but rarely has a movie been made in which there is so little progress. Even Frodo's trek to Mordor, despite taking three very long movies to complete, wasn't this torpid.

Despite providing an opportunity to spend 147 minutes in the company of people we have grown to know and love over the years and advancing the narrative toward its final cataclysmic confrontation, The Deathly Hallows Part One underachieves. At a time when Harry Potter should be soaring to new heights, it remains curiously grounded.
damien_k98Apr 29, 2015
This is the poorest of the films but it's still great. Deathly Hallows Part 1 is a more darker Harry Potter film and still has the Harry Potter spark. If only there were more action scenes I would give this movie a 10,but still great though.This is the poorest of the films but it's still great. Deathly Hallows Part 1 is a more darker Harry Potter film and still has the Harry Potter spark. If only there were more action scenes I would give this movie a 10,but still great though. WARNING You will cry at the end! Expand
Rutger-KikkertJun 5, 2016
This movie is of course the setup for the last movie. And that causes things to go really slow, since one book is spread out over two lengthy movies.
This movie starts off really promising, lots of action and excitement, but then it slows down and repetitiveness starts to occur. Lots of scenes where not too much happens fill most of the run-time of this movie. and during the few action scenes this movie has to offer there is little to no music, also some lazy writing with too much coincidences is again a fact. But the performances and the cinematography are amazing. And even though there is slow pacing this movie still can be very entertaining at some parts.
And tells a very decent part of the story with some decent character development.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
Excellent addition to the Potter franchise and a huge step up from the Half-Blood Prince which lacked so much!

The music is disappointing with Desplat's promise of using John William's themes as they have been so unused in the last three films but he broke it and the actual Harry Potter theme had more or less of a cameo during the traditional sky writing title credits.

The visual effects are at their best since Prisoner of Azkaban, the art direction is fab and the cinematography is good too!
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
Before the epic conclusion comes, this "Deathly Treatment" tells us that Harry Potter's coming to an end way before Part 2 came out. It's Part 2 that was better than this, but it's still good anyways.
superbatJul 16, 2016
I was so hyped for this movie after watching the Half-Blood Prince. It was still a great movie but it wasn't excellent either. Sure, the visual effects and acting were great, but the plot had several holes and the tone was too dour. You comeI was so hyped for this movie after watching the Half-Blood Prince. It was still a great movie but it wasn't excellent either. Sure, the visual effects and acting were great, but the plot had several holes and the tone was too dour. You come away from this feeling miserable. Expand