Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 15, 2009
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 1063 Ratings
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeJan 20, 2016
Once again another great pull-up by Warner Bros. as the franchise begins to have the end soon in their next film which comes out the year after this came out.
SpangleAug 29, 2017
With many of the length and meandering issues of the other Harry Potter films, this sixth entry in the film largely sums up everything I have not enjoyed for half the film. Yet, somehow it pulls if off surprisingly well, turning its slow andWith many of the length and meandering issues of the other Harry Potter films, this sixth entry in the film largely sums up everything I have not enjoyed for half the film. Yet, somehow it pulls if off surprisingly well, turning its slow and character-driven first half into an enjoyable diversion from the high stakes drama surrounding the looming presence of Voldemort. By the time the film finally jumps into the central battle of the series, director David Yates is able to deliver the goods with a thrilling, rousing, and powerful, climax that is smartly low-scale and content with being just a cog in the whole wheel. As a result, the Half-Blood Prince manages to take the story where Order of the Phoenix left off and set it up perfectly for the finale of this beloved series. Though not necessarily a great stand-alone work due to how much it relies upon the other films to have a story that makes any sense, it nonetheless works incredibly well in context, being one of the most pleasant and filled-with-wonder entries in the series since Prisoner of Azkaban changed the tone entirely.

For the first half of the film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince operates like a soap opera version of itself entitled Harry Potter and the Horny Teenagers. Will Ron finally wake up and make a move on Hermione? Oh poor Hermione, having to watch Ron kiss another girl! Oooo Harry is finally moving past that Asian girl whose named I do not know that they built up as a lover for him two films, only for her to stab him in the back last time. Of course it is Ginny though, those two are meant for each other! I wonder what will happen with that weird blonde girl though? Do I smell a second love triangle? In this game of musical chairs and hot potato that is teenage relationship, the Half-Blood Prince seems fully invested in divulging every single detail. Ironically, while this is exactly what I dislike about the series at times - too much focus on items that do not matter - it works here quite nicely. It is funny, cute, and oddly endearing as we watch them go through the works of teenage relationships. It is a reminder of their youth in the face of the horrors and challenges they must face in fighting Voldemort. As a brief calm before the storm that will come in the Deathly Hallows, the Half-Blood Prince makes this feel like the final summer before they all head off to college, likely to not see one another again. In this, the bittersweet and nostalgic charm is hard to deny as incredibly fun to watch.

By the time the film settles into its second half, the Half-Blood Prince makes good on the suggestions and hints regarding who the Half-Blood Prince could be with a tension-filled and atmospheric finale. As Dumbledore and Harry go into the cave, it feels like a last stand for an old gunslinger in a western and, as with that, it comes with every bit of the tension and anticipation. Featuring a chilling sequence of these humanoid creatures jumping out of the water and Dumbledore having to use fire against them, the scene is one with excellent production design and strong direction David Yates. After building up some tension regarding this locale and biding his time the whole film, Yates manages to make the whole wait worthwhile, while not over-exerting this film into becoming another grand battle between Voldemort and Harry. Instead, as a minor battle as part of the larger war, the Half-Blood Prince manages to be thrilling in its own right without stealing any thunder from the concluding journey. A poignant death and memorial sequence only furthers the film's accomplishments with powerful staging of the memorial and deeply compelling possibilities about where Snape's loyalty may in fact lie. Is he still a death-eater or is he working for the order as an informant? Smartly, the Half-Blood Prince leaves this mystery open, making the Deathly Hallows a film that is hard to not highly anticipate.

As always, the Half-Blood Prince is often quite beautiful look at with Yates' camera often finding truly stunning images, especially in the cave or in the aerial shot of the memorial. While this series is seriously milking those shots of the valley in the sunrise, it is hard to deny that it is not beautiful all the same. These Harry Potter films often use their special effects in the perfect way to create a beautiful shot and the Half-Blood Prince is no exception to that fact. Where the film falters, however, is often in the over-reliance on cuts. When Harry is attacked by the humanoid creatures in the cave, Yates' camera cuts repeatedly without moving Harry or actually showing anything. He just falls back, cuts, and then he is in a slightly different place an inch to the left. With about 10 cuts in a millisecond in this sequence, it is borderline headache-inducing. The same then occurs as Harry talks to Hermione in the castle with the camera desperately needing a fidget spinner to keep still. Spinning around, cutting, and changing angles
TheQuietGamerMar 19, 2011
It is better than the Order of the Pheonix it's still not as good as the previous movies, it's better because they brought back the humor but it still kept the darker tone and brings tension for the next film.
beingryanjudeAug 25, 2014
My curiosity is still present. But it's damped once more by David Yates mediocre direction of this fantastic installment of the Harry Potter series. It's disappointing to see such stunning visuals and a, by now, legendary cast go to waste.
csw12Mar 25, 2012
Harry Potter seems to be gathering for the big battle but much too slowly. Someone like me the wait is becoming long and this movie is prolonging it even more. Still well made but you can begin to see it is getting rough around the edges.Harry Potter seems to be gathering for the big battle but much too slowly. Someone like me the wait is becoming long and this movie is prolonging it even more. Still well made but you can begin to see it is getting rough around the edges. Get to it already. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 23, 2011
David Yate's Harry Potter is not magical anymore. The movie spins confusing romance between the 3 main protagonists and also focuses more on the violence of the scary Voldemort. This is not a franchise I was hoping to watch....
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
Half-Blood Prince had potential to be the best, most magical Potter film yet. Instead, the movie veers unspeakably off course, not at all staying true to the novel, and ends like a light being softly lowered, when the novel ended in chaos andHalf-Blood Prince had potential to be the best, most magical Potter film yet. Instead, the movie veers unspeakably off course, not at all staying true to the novel, and ends like a light being softly lowered, when the novel ended in chaos and bloodshed. Expand
imthenoobJan 28, 2012
My favorite film in the series and imo this is the film where the franchise is at its peek. Radcliffe is at his best in this film imo and it shows in this film. It also does a great job bring the book to life and does well to make anMy favorite film in the series and imo this is the film where the franchise is at its peek. Radcliffe is at his best in this film imo and it shows in this film. It also does a great job bring the book to life and does well to make an emotional connect with you as well. Expand
Trev29Mar 27, 2012
A decent well made movie, but still below average for a Harry Potter film. Too many of the comedic scenes seemed forced and unnecessary when there is so much of this important story to share. I get the weird feeling that so many things wereA decent well made movie, but still below average for a Harry Potter film. Too many of the comedic scenes seemed forced and unnecessary when there is so much of this important story to share. I get the weird feeling that so many things were left out of the movie. The movie picked up toward the end, but it doesn't have the feeling of what Harry Potter should be. Expand
TokyochuchuDec 1, 2014
By the time the Half Blood Prince arrives in the Harry Potter franchise, it's pretty much bulletproof. Great movie after great movie after... You get the point. The characters have become so well defined and lovable that something would haveBy the time the Half Blood Prince arrives in the Harry Potter franchise, it's pretty much bulletproof. Great movie after great movie after... You get the point. The characters have become so well defined and lovable that something would have to go really wrong to put a dent in the series. Nothing of that kind even remotely happens in the Half Blood Prince. Indeed, the concentrated character development in this action-lite entry makes for a fantastic diversion before the thunderous two-part finale. Expand
ZilcellMay 25, 2012
The series still entertains after this many movies.
FranzHcriticOct 25, 2013
An improvement from 'Order of Phoenix', 'Half-Blood Prince' draws a little more macabre intentionally to it's style, most likely imitating Alfonso Cuaron's 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. But now I think this was it for me for Harry Potter as I'veAn improvement from 'Order of Phoenix', 'Half-Blood Prince' draws a little more macabre intentionally to it's style, most likely imitating Alfonso Cuaron's 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. But now I think this was it for me for Harry Potter as I've already read Deathly Hallows, and even if I didn't, The ending is obvious and cliched. Harry Potter became annoying after this. I just waited four years to say it. Expand
oxanaAug 25, 2014
I haven't read the book, so I can't compare the two. Also, I watched "The Order of the Phoenix" the night before seeing this one, which may have been a mistake...

"The Half-Blood Prince" starts with a bang, goes on with other irregular

"The Half-Blood Prince" starts with a bang, goes on with other irregular bangs, and ends... well, with a bang? There is no usual beginning-middle-end -rhythm to be found in this movie. The plot moves in plunges from one scene to another, which seem a little unrelated sometimes. They just don't come together as a whole movie.

The acting is a little stiff, especially from the older actors. It seemed much smoother in the last films, so I don't know that's going on with that.

The theme seems to be the amusing/saddening stuff with the young love going on in the movie. Some of it is totally cliché - and some you can feel personally, like Hermione's anguish.

There was action, and there was some fun, and it's hard to remember it all because this movie was both long and distracting; there was no main plot to hold onto.

The very end scene of the movie was just lame. It totally ruins the mood they had been building. Too much of the usual "I'm off to do it on my own" and "We're coming with you 'cause we are yours friends" stuff, and realizing the simple beauty of the world etc.

Other than that... it's still pretty good, and I'm sure a second viewing will make some things to make a lot more sense. I was tempted to give the movie three and half stars, but maybe four is fairer - for now.

I'm looking forward to the final movies of the series, and hope them to be better structured than "The Half-Blood Prince". Because frankly, after the steady, beautiful flow that was "The Order of the Phoenix", this was a bit of a mess.
MovieLonely94Jul 5, 2011
As Harry learns that Hogwarts is no longer safe, he and his friends do a lot of important things that lie just ahead of them while he finds out that his arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy made an unbreakable vow that if he doens't kill ProfessorAs Harry learns that Hogwarts is no longer safe, he and his friends do a lot of important things that lie just ahead of them while he finds out that his arch-nemesis, Draco Malfoy made an unbreakable vow that if he doens't kill Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape will kill him himself. With him dead, Harry is given a note that he faked the deathcrux, the only key to Voldemort's immortality in which he and his friends will succeed in finding them. Saw it with my sister in theaters at the same year and now I will make my opinion just to make this review short. The acting.....amazing The fantasy action.....great The storyline.....well-paced The sad where Professor Dumbledore dies.....so sad it will make you cry your eyes out. The characters.....a little bit developed, but were amazing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a dark, emotional, and funny entry in the series. 8/10 Expand
FuturedirectorApr 15, 2017
Conserving its witty style and glorious performances, Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince keeps taking the saga even better every time. Harry Potter's fans will no be disappointed.
heyitsmegrif4Dec 17, 2011
Dazzling visuals, some incredible performances stand out Emma Watson, and some emotional depth make this easily one of the best film's in the franchise. I give this film 95% of a good movie.
TheApplegnomeFeb 19, 2014
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a great movie, but it contains slowness and boredom.

The opening scene in this movie is great, but also the music. The movie contains many mysterious things that I really think is exiting and spectacular. The actors in this movie are great (at usual), and the film is well made and the story is very entertaining. The climax in this film is very good and the movie overall felt entertaining, especially the ending which was awesome. The bad thing about this movie is that it was a little to slow sometimes and the movie generally wasn't that unique. The tempo was as I mentioned to slow, which made it boring at some places.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is an awesome movie, even though the tempo is a little to slow, but it's still a great movie.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince gets a 8/10
StevenFJul 16, 2013
As the franchise nears its end and the run time ticks on in the Half-Blood Prince, we are me with the realisation that the sixth instalment really serves as an adjoining film, and while the acting is superb and the older members of the castAs the franchise nears its end and the run time ticks on in the Half-Blood Prince, we are me with the realisation that the sixth instalment really serves as an adjoining film, and while the acting is superb and the older members of the cast are given their moments, Harry Potters new adventure lacks the heart and magical escapism that most of its predecessors possessed.
We are introduced to a wizarding world that has accepted the return of Lord Voldemort, but also a world which is in turmoil. Attacks in regular human beings, or muggles, are in full swing from the Death Eaters, while Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) continues to seek answers and deal with the loss of another loved one, while still attending Hogwarts.
Things at the school are changing, Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) is more vigilant towards Harry, Snape (Alan Rickman) has become defence against the Dark Arts teacher and Professor Slughorn, played with a irritable brilliance by Jim Broadbent, is the new Potions master.
Harry comes across a book with the title of the film across it- Property of the Half-Blood Prince, and learns a few new things from the mysterious owner of the book.
The shift in tone for the sixth film sees a more talkative and slower film, and while I personally relish, it departs too much from the overall tone of the source material, everything seems like it is building to something bigger which we rarely see, with too much time being spent on developing irregular scenes rather than developing the story arc.
But alas, the performances are exceptional, especially from Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon and Jim Broadbent, they all share candid scenes with Harry which are simply electrifying. The scenes between Harry and Dumbledore in particular really show how far we have come and how close to the end we are.
But with all the talking going on, it is still visual marvel, when Harry and Dumbledore discover the intentions of Voldemort, their journey takes them to lakes involving fire and other magical presences, creating some spectacular scenes. But of course there is tragedy at every turn and this the most brutal yet, leaving a real hole in Harry’s life and is uphill battle to defeat Lord Voldemort.
Hagrid comments that storm is coming, and we best be ready when it does, and no truer words may have been spoken.
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
This one gets everything right, giving us the best of what the world of Harry Potter has to offer; the music, the Quidditch, the comedy, the characters, and it doesn't skimp on anything.
Bruce722Jan 7, 2013
This is the first time in this series where I can honestly say that the movie was every bit as good as the book... though, for different reasons. You see, there is not all that much adventure and action sequences in the book so, while itThis is the first time in this series where I can honestly say that the movie was every bit as good as the book... though, for different reasons. You see, there is not all that much adventure and action sequences in the book so, while it doesn't drag because the characters are and plot development is outstanding, it still felt a bit on the long side. This caters perfectly for the movie. The challenges in fitting in all sorts of scenes are completely different than those in fitting in various emotions, which is what they faced when making this movie. In capturing those emotions, thoughts, moments of internal conflict, etc. they did a fantastic job. The only thing I thought they could've done a better job of was making Dumbledore's exit a bit more emotional like it was in the book. Still though, they did a great job there in general so that's not the reason I didn't give it a perfect ten. That reason lies with the fact that they hinted towards things in this movie that were not so profound in the book. I have not finished the final book yet so I can only speculate on some of the things I was already wondering but it seems as though, regarding Severus Snape, that they took advantage of knowing the ending of the entire story rather than the particular book itself. By knowing this, it seems as though they hint a little more at certain elements of the story than the book did causing you to think entirely differently about the act that took place. Nonetheless, this movie was still outstanding and I look forward to watching the final one(s). Expand
Rox22Apr 28, 2015
A vast improvement on the last movie, and yet it also manages to be utterly underwhelming.

Some great scenes and performances, but the pacing is almost slug like at times. Considering everything that has happened so far, it almost feels like watching a soap opera right after an action movie. The tone is a bit to calm for what is going on.

Overall:
While I thoroughly enjoyed the story and all the twists, it also was a bit boring and underwhelming, considering it's the sixth Harry Potter movie.
Movie1997Sep 8, 2013
This one was an exceptional movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the story was interesting and engaging and it starts to introduce us to the bitter end of the beloved climax. Overall, a beautiful Harry Potter film. Be sure to check out myThis one was an exceptional movie. The cinematography was beautiful, the story was interesting and engaging and it starts to introduce us to the bitter end of the beloved climax. Overall, a beautiful Harry Potter film. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
SEROJMar 28, 2013
The begging of the end! AMAZING story and movie! If you're a Harry Potter fan and you watched the previous parts, this one will definitely Thrill you! I'm not going to add any spoilers, my final score for this amazing Harry Potter movie is 8/10!
MrMovieBuffNov 7, 2016
The somewhat penultimate installment of the "Harry Potter" stories by J.K. Rowling leads us closer to the end than we ever anticipated, with 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', we see our main heroes nearing adulthood and adapting toThe somewhat penultimate installment of the "Harry Potter" stories by J.K. Rowling leads us closer to the end than we ever anticipated, with 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', we see our main heroes nearing adulthood and adapting to bigger changes. Plus, we get an insight to how the Dark Lord can be defeated.

Our main hero, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) returns with Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) in order to find a former Hogwarts professor named Horace Slughorn (Jim Broadbent) and bring him back to Hogwarts despite his reluctance. It seems that Horace knows about what the young Voldermort, known as "Tom Riddle" was asking for when he was teaching him back in his student days. Dumbledore needs Harry to try and get answers out of Horace, but that seems to be a difficult task on its own.

Harry returns to Hogwarts with Ron (Rupert Grint), Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright), and he notices that Draco (Tom Felton) is acting a little suspicious, he suspects that he might possess something mysterious linking to the Dark Lord. Meanwhile, at class, Harry discovers an old text-book that has writing all over it, written by "The Half-Blood Prince", and it seems that this book has all the answers and that Harry can possess great power thanks to this mysterious prince.

Harry attempts everything he can to try and get some answers out of Horace, but still couldn't be able to get anything. Hermione seems to be getting emotionally devastated in regards to Ron falling in love with another Hogwarts student, it seems even more clear that Hermione is infatuated with Ron, but is unable to express her emotion, especially since Ron is unwilling to listen as he already has a girlfriend.

Harry also suspects that Draco and Professor Snape (Alan Rickman) are planning something which relates to them serving the Dark Lord. He believes that they are out to kill. Harry is also still upset at the death of his godfather, Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), which was done in the hands of the menacing Bellatrix Lastrange (Helena Bonham-Carter), and he is still filled with violent revenge, especially knowing about some dark wizard powers that was written by the "Half-Blood Prince".

'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' is a much darker movie than the previous installments, the cinematography by Bruno Delbonnel is suitably de-saturated to fit the darker tone, especially the more slow-paced storytelling. There are some surprisingly quirky moments, involving Harry's character that add some much needed levity to the darker side of the franchise.

This is a more character driven movie, and I did like it better than "The Order of the Phoenix" (2007), I liked the darker and duller tone, I liked the fact that the characters are more fleshed out than ever, and I liked the funnier and quirky moments. This is a very sharp movie, and brings us closer to the end that makes you more excited, it's definitely one for movie-goers who like their characters fleshed out and the action, more compact.
OfficialNov 1, 2013
Director David Yates returns to direct the sixth film in the franchise, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". Realizing some of the weaknesses in the fifth film, improvements has been made but some remain. There's a bit of Quidditch thisDirector David Yates returns to direct the sixth film in the franchise, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince". Realizing some of the weaknesses in the fifth film, improvements has been made but some remain. There's a bit of Quidditch this time round, and there's more delightful scenes. However, Yates puts too much time on the romantic and not enough on the actual plot itself. Expand
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
With the sixth installment of the eight part series, Harry Potter continues its success with ease. Good acting, good dialogue, and well paced sorcerer battles.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
MegWhiteleyMar 28, 2012
The most dark chapter of the saga. I think that is really interesting, but have a big problem, much of the magic things in the other films, don't stay in the six part. Is good, dark, but some strange.
spadenxDec 7, 2011
I havent liked the HP series that much so I didnt have a lot of hope for this film but I was suprised that I actually really liked it. I thought it did a good job staying true to the book and it was nice to see Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) getI havent liked the HP series that much so I didnt have a lot of hope for this film but I was suprised that I actually really liked it. I thought it did a good job staying true to the book and it was nice to see Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) get more screen time and show off his skills - Unlike the other films hes in. It was well worth watching. Expand
TrilobiteGAug 9, 2015
A tad slow at times, but the half-blood prince is the best movie in this entire franchise for keeping dialogue moving at a slow pace, WHILST keeping it interesting as well! Finally! Also, more dark fantasy action to be had (not as much asA tad slow at times, but the half-blood prince is the best movie in this entire franchise for keeping dialogue moving at a slow pace, WHILST keeping it interesting as well! Finally! Also, more dark fantasy action to be had (not as much as goblet of fire) and a more dark and sincere tone to it, building up for the grande finale. Expand
jimmytancrediMay 29, 2011
The most hated movie by most fans of HP, because it was unfaithful through the book. However this is by far the greatest success of Half-Blood Prince. Although it has cut some important memories and said little about the Horcruxes, theThe most hated movie by most fans of HP, because it was unfaithful through the book. However this is by far the greatest success of Half-Blood Prince. Although it has cut some important memories and said little about the Horcruxes, the greater freedom in adapting that Kloves had ended up making this the best film in the saga (until he came Deathly Hallows, of course). Yates has also improved a LOT, and achieves good moments of humor and manages to emote in some scenes. The performances are very good this young. Radcliffe shows good comic timing, and Grint. And Emma Watson makes a beautiful performance here. The adult cast, as always, is wonderful. Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon, Helena Bonham Carter and Jim Broadbent are simply fantastic. Great visual effects (the second best of the series), a beautiful photograph and a wonderful soundtrack make this one of the best technically as well. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
The sixth Harry Potter movie is essentially a film in limbo. It begins with a wordless shot of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) still reeling in emotional agony from the events of the last movie, and ends on a miserable moment with no sense of hope,The sixth Harry Potter movie is essentially a film in limbo. It begins with a wordless shot of Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) still reeling in emotional agony from the events of the last movie, and ends on a miserable moment with no sense of hope, or of a plan for the future. Those two anguished sequences set the tone for a fantasy-franchise installment that’s more about atmosphere than story; between them, many things happen, but only the last 20 minutes or so have real repercussions. The rest is buildup, backstory, and plot sidebars signifying nothing, but it’s mighty artful nothing, in which beautifully designed and composed shots and a relentlessly ominous mood give a surprising weight to adolescent love affairs and an exceedingly minor mystery.

To the degree that Half-Blood Prince has a plot rather than a series of milestones in the vast, eight-film arc set to conclude in 2011 (the last book will be split into two films), it revolves around teen wizard Harry Potter trying to pry key information about his evil arch-nemesis Voldemort out of meek, self-serving magic teacher Jim Broadbent. Simultaneously, Harry tries to deduce the identity of “the half-blood prince” who used to own his old textbook, and various romantic developments absorb his friends Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. Familiar characters pop in and out for cameos, and the film even finds time for Quidditch, though director David Yates (who helmed the last series installment, and will tackle the last two as well) finds ways to make even a silly made-up sport played on flying broomsticks look grim and melancholy.

But the film’s real focus is on the evolving sense of dread taking over Harry’s world, for reasons barely seen at all in the film. And all this creeps forward at a remarkably unhurried, deliberate pace, the antithesis of the series’ opening films, with their giddy roller-coaster feel and “Whee! Magic!” theme. It takes a significant amount of investment in the Harry Potter world to make Half-Blood Prince relevant, let alone sensible; the film makes no concession to newbies, and thankfully spends virtually no time reiterating points already covered in previous installments. But those already involved will find that the series has matured much as the books did. This is the darkest, saddest, most sophisticated Harry Potter film yet!
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
If you can resist the fanboy urge to pick apart every plot detail and scour all the scenes for inaccuracies, you'll find yourself watching probably one of the most enjoyable and well-crafted movie in the film series so far (but I think by nowIf you can resist the fanboy urge to pick apart every plot detail and scour all the scenes for inaccuracies, you'll find yourself watching probably one of the most enjoyable and well-crafted movie in the film series so far (but I think by now it's just become a sad tradition for the movies to have cop-out endings...) Expand
alejandro970Apr 26, 2017
Editing just the needly, preserves the spirit of the book. The climatic sequence is one of best of full saga and increase the craving and curiosity to see the final episode.
gm101Oct 6, 2010
I never thought I'd see the day that a Harry Potter movies disappoints me. Unfortunately, that happened with Half-Blood Prince, the only Harry Potter movie I dislike. I understand that there will be changes from the book, but my God, it'sI never thought I'd see the day that a Harry Potter movies disappoints me. Unfortunately, that happened with Half-Blood Prince, the only Harry Potter movie I dislike. I understand that there will be changes from the book, but my God, it's like they completely changed the story! Expand
mds03Apr 14, 2013
How disappointed could one be. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is such a huge letdown when it comes to entertainment. Could it be anymore boring than it was? It felt like nothing important happened until the last 25 minutes of it.How disappointed could one be. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is such a huge letdown when it comes to entertainment. Could it be anymore boring than it was? It felt like nothing important happened until the last 25 minutes of it. Easily the worst in the series. Sure, the special effects and the performances were good. Expand
JohnMasterLMay 4, 2015
A pesar de que no tiene en gran parte, absolutamente nada que ver con el libro, The half blood prince es mejor que The Order of the Phoenix en todos los sentidos, la narrativa es superior y mucho mejor, a pesar de que no respeta el 100% de laA pesar de que no tiene en gran parte, absolutamente nada que ver con el libro, The half blood prince es mejor que The Order of the Phoenix en todos los sentidos, la narrativa es superior y mucho mejor, a pesar de que no respeta el 100% de la historia original y de ser una historia oscura y dramática pase a ser una comedia romántica con toques de drama y suspenso, la historia funciona. Es entretenida, pero se queda corta en comparación con las primeras cuatro películas de la saga. Expand
MichaelDMar 1, 2011
It was way too long. But I was entertained but then again, I was bored at some parts in this movie.
geo333Jan 8, 2016
Director David Yates takes the wizard world into a darker and sentimental area that not only succeeds, but paves the way for the final installments to pick up to.
MarkMusicMar 21, 2013
It's better then all but something happened. It's like the action came up and (I was on the edge of my seat) then it fell fast. The effects were less the perfect. But hey entertained me more then the others. Watch if your a fan, nothing moreIt's better then all but something happened. It's like the action came up and (I was on the edge of my seat) then it fell fast. The effects were less the perfect. But hey entertained me more then the others. Watch if your a fan, nothing more her spectacular as the so-called critics say. More bore then roar. Expand
rotkuJul 17, 2011
Setting things up for the finale in style this is the best movie of the series so far. it is here that the characters truly move from childhood into early adulthood and face the hardships of retationships as well as their positions withinSetting things up for the finale in style this is the best movie of the series so far. it is here that the characters truly move from childhood into early adulthood and face the hardships of retationships as well as their positions within Hogwarts. It also delvelops the sub plots nicely and brings them into the fore. Expand
superbatJul 22, 2016
This is my fourth favourite in the series (behind the Goblet of Fire, the Philospher's Stone and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2). It is very captivating and has amazing special effects. The acting is perfect in this, and does an excellent job inThis is my fourth favourite in the series (behind the Goblet of Fire, the Philospher's Stone and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2). It is very captivating and has amazing special effects. The acting is perfect in this, and does an excellent job in setting up the Deathly Hallows movies. Expand
filmtrashreviewJul 10, 2011
The best film in the Harry Potter Franchise so far. Half-Blood Prince is exciting, refreshing and stands on it's own. Some of the Potter films lack whither it is story line or direction. The Half-Blood Prince finally completes the tripleThe best film in the Harry Potter Franchise so far. Half-Blood Prince is exciting, refreshing and stands on it's own. Some of the Potter films lack whither it is story line or direction. The Half-Blood Prince finally completes the triple threat well acted, perfectly directed with a killer script. Expand
Potter17Dec 10, 2011
Like "Deathly Hallows, Part 1" the film doesn't focus on action or story development but it focus on the characters and how they have been affected by Voldemort and his followers. Delbonnel's cinematography illustrates that well, depictingLike "Deathly Hallows, Part 1" the film doesn't focus on action or story development but it focus on the characters and how they have been affected by Voldemort and his followers. Delbonnel's cinematography illustrates that well, depicting the world as we know as not innocent anymore, but as dark and frightening. However, Half-Blood Prince feels a way too long and doesn't add almost nothing to the future story. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him forVoldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Together they work to find the key to unlock Voldemort's defenses and, to this end, Dumbledore recruits his old friend and colleague, the well-connected and unsuspecting bon vivant Professor Horace Slughorn, whom he believes holds crucial information. Meanwhile, one student remains aloof. He is determined to make his mark, albeit a dark one. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again. Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
Another winner for Mr. Yates! He does a terrific job changing the tone from sad, to scary, and even to funny. And the humor is this film is great! It had me laughing out loud at several scenes. Oh, the magic!
HaithamBayazeedMay 10, 2013
Harry Potter is a lot more darker than ever it is defiantly a PG-13, it is turning to sexual subjects, a darker past but a well pleasing art!
potatoes351Aug 14, 2012
The war is on between good and evil. Just a shame I cant remember much about it. HP:HBP wasn't boring like OotP but it was just forgettable with samey SFX used in all the previous films and poor choice of what bits to include from the booksThe war is on between good and evil. Just a shame I cant remember much about it. HP:HBP wasn't boring like OotP but it was just forgettable with samey SFX used in all the previous films and poor choice of what bits to include from the books and what not to pick. It was a good, entertaining film but nothing more than filler for the final instalment. Expand
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 22, 2010
As the 6th one begins, not only Hogwarts is in danger, but the muggle world too. No longer Harry is a small child that was almost killed by the darkest and one of the most powerful wizards in history, but fans know that the end is near. SoonAs the 6th one begins, not only Hogwarts is in danger, but the muggle world too. No longer Harry is a small child that was almost killed by the darkest and one of the most powerful wizards in history, but fans know that the end is near. Soon Voldemort will come out of hiding and meet Harry. Fans will find the secret to Voldemort's immortality and the wizarding world could never have been more dangerous. He still has Ron and Hermoine to look up to, but it is no more fun and games. The movie however, was. Impressive special effects and groundbreaking sequences events, turn this into one of the most intense films of the entire franchise. David Yates amazes me again, and audiences will be anticipating the end for the final 7th installment of one of the world's most successful franchises. Expand
Mad_Hatter91Aug 16, 2013
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a 2009 fantasy film directed by David Yates with Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint and Michael Gambon.
After detecting the wizarding world the truth about the return of Voldemort, Harry Potter begins the sixth year at Hogwarts witchcraft. In this installment of the series, in addition to having to deal with his own adolescence, Harry must help Dumbledore discover a dark secret about the Dark Lord and to do so will have to rummage in the past of one who must not be named.
This film adaptation of JK Rowling is better than the fifth chapter (also directed by Yates). There have been many improvements in director David Yates. Meanwhile, on a visual level we have seen improvements in special effects and set design (which in the Order of the Phoenix could be better exploited), but especially for the photography of the film that has been used well and gave us shots of landscapes really beautiful.
The only flaw of the film is the script. Have relied heavily on young love and adolescence leaving out some details regarding the mystery regarding Voldemort which made it a little more difficult for people who have not read the books of Rowling understand the storyline. The error of the film was also to add, in the romantic moments, scenes that can be defined a little ridiculous. For the rest of the film features a great cast of actors among which Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman and Tom Felton. The latter has fared very well in the role of Draco Malfoy.
DibbHansenJul 14, 2013
This film is fantastic! Full of fantasy, comedy, heart, emotion, a very well written script (while it may not be 100% faithful to the book, it still keeps in the most important parts and adds some great stuff in there), awesomeThis film is fantastic! Full of fantasy, comedy, heart, emotion, a very well written script (while it may not be 100% faithful to the book, it still keeps in the most important parts and adds some great stuff in there), awesome cinematography, spectacular acting (everyone in here is fantastic!), eye popping visuals and beautiful music (Nicholas Hooper really does a perfect job here): this film boasts it all. This is another one of the BEST Harry Potter films. Expand
joao1198pedroNov 28, 2013
the half-blood prince was a good film but unfortunately it hadn't had the aclaim of the incredible book.David Yates had make a good movie after all and had won my respect.
SonicHD7May 31, 2017
As Death Eaters wreak havoc in both Muggle and Wizard worlds, Hogwarts is no longer a safe haven for students. Though Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) suspects there are new dangers lurking within the castle walls, Dumbledore is more intent than everAs Death Eaters wreak havoc in both Muggle and Wizard worlds, Hogwarts is no longer a safe haven for students. Though Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) suspects there are new dangers lurking within the castle walls, Dumbledore is more intent than ever on preparing the young wizard for the final battle with Voldemort. Meanwhile, teenage hormones run rampant through Hogwarts, presenting a different sort of danger. Love may be in the air, but tragedy looms, and Hogwarts may never be the same again. Expand
DBPirate1129Jan 11, 2015
Perhaps the funniest Potter installment that features a relatively dark atmosphere which is welcome for fans of Prisoner of Azkaban. The best visuals in the series can be found here along with the talented Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn!
JawsPapi87Aug 9, 2011
This movie is different than most other Harry Potter movies with the whole teen relationships thing and the introduction of horcruxes. Slughorn is a great character and the meetings with Harry and Dumbledore are very entertaining, making aThis movie is different than most other Harry Potter movies with the whole teen relationships thing and the introduction of horcruxes. Slughorn is a great character and the meetings with Harry and Dumbledore are very entertaining, making a perfect set up for the ending Expand
AReviewsJun 25, 2013
Note: The following movie is darker than a usual PG movie, so for the best, it is certainly a PG-13 movie with more romance, another important note, it may causes a shock from how outstanding the visuals are, and the story is just magical,Note: The following movie is darker than a usual PG movie, so for the best, it is certainly a PG-13 movie with more romance, another important note, it may causes a shock from how outstanding the visuals are, and the story is just magical, and another note, this sequel proves that Harry Potter saga is everlasting movies and books, that will be written in our hearts for life. Expand
CRLJul 27, 2011
This is without a doubt the worst movie of the Harry Potter series. It took a book that was extremely thin to begin with and chopped half of it cleanly away, ending up with a montage of broken scenes where months pass in a second and aThis is without a doubt the worst movie of the Harry Potter series. It took a book that was extremely thin to begin with and chopped half of it cleanly away, ending up with a montage of broken scenes where months pass in a second and a single day takes an hour. Sometimes it tries to be an action film, sometimes it tries to be a comedy, sometimes it tries to be a suspense thriller. In the end, it's just a mismatched rehash of what David Yates saw as the most important scenes from the source material. Expand
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
This movie has no idea what to focus on, the love, the humor, the threat on the wizarding and muggle world? Easily the worst Potter film. A film so uneven in scenes and tone, I think this movie was an unintentional comedy, and not exactly a good one.
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
This is the worst in the franchise... it is so focused on the love story and comedy that I forget about Voldemort and the so called danger. The Voldemort stuff, do not be fooled, takes the backseat to teenage romance...while necessary shouldThis is the worst in the franchise... it is so focused on the love story and comedy that I forget about Voldemort and the so called danger. The Voldemort stuff, do not be fooled, takes the backseat to teenage romance...while necessary should not have been the case. This movie gets boring because of it. Expand
AaronWasserman1Mar 27, 2016
forestvilleMar 31, 2013
The Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book of the entire series of HP, but I can not say the same for the movie is very good, but something is not completely convinced. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the book, is undoubtedly one ofThe Half-Blood Prince is my favorite book of the entire series of HP, but I can not say the same for the movie is very good, but something is not completely convinced. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the book, is undoubtedly one of the strongest chapters in the saga of the boy wizard, not only marked by the evolution of the characters, but by the presence of factors that keep the fabric of the child for get into a world more real, closer to us, more full of risk, of chiaroscuro, of stories that sometimes conclude without happy endings.
It's not easy to turn the book into a film, as it is one of the most extensive histories of the saga of the boy wizard Potter, but David Yates's film (his second in the series) refreshes the collection and shows a visual maturity that is not seen much in recent deliveries, bringing it to dramatic German Expressionism, highlighting a picture of it and a more elaborate edition repeatedly surprised by their creativity, not to mention the special effects are still remarkably good.

The problem that has had the cast from the fourth movie (Goblet of Fire) is not acting with the feeling that they must act according to their role. Not that I do not, but it is very minimal and so this feeling is not to be transmitted in each scene, the only ones who have managed to get all the juice in your paper are: Michael Gambon as Albus Dumbledore, Jim Broadbent as Horance Slughorn and surprise, Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy, who mingles with hate weakness. Daniel Radcliffe was almost there too, but in the final scenes do not make it, I miss you put more feeling into his role in those scenes.
The best scenes are certainly: The hijacking of the wands to comiezo maker, makes the viewer is encouraged to see it complete, that was my caso.Tambien and best of all is the cave where Dumbledore and the young Potter one fora seeking to destroy the Dark Lord, the Horcrux and also the sad Dumbledore dies, the movie that made striking, except for some performances of the cast, but anyway, give emotion to the movie.
Although the film may well be said to be a set of chiaroscuro, (in all senses), it is also a product that is worth to be seen and enjoyed by all, but especially by fans of the series, who, with the support of book, with much greater intensity live the experience.
My Score: 8.6
AtTheMoviesJun 18, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half-Blood Prince is one of the best Potter films. It is dark, emotional, and sleek. The acting is great (especially Alan Rickman) and as always the score is stunning. Those who haven't read the books will find it better then those who have, but fans of the book will still love this. I didn't much like how they sort of brushed over the very important Half-Blood Prince thing, and just have Snape randomly say it at the end. But that aside, this is still a fantastic movie. Expand
JrAgujaIsAGleekJun 22, 2014
I’ll be honest. While I still stand my opinions, I felt like I have been biased reviewing the Harry Potter movies as a fan of the books. In Order of the Phoenix (my favorite book in the series), I have been trying to watch the movie as if II’ll be honest. While I still stand my opinions, I felt like I have been biased reviewing the Harry Potter movies as a fan of the books. In Order of the Phoenix (my favorite book in the series), I have been trying to watch the movie as if I have never read the book, and it seemed to have worked for me a bit despite I am a bit upset with some of the changes. What matters most is I enjoyed it and I did enjoy it.

Speaking of enjoyment, I was a little bored in some parts of the movie. Maybe that’s because I already know what happens next and also because the battle scenes near the end of the film wasn’t that adventurous as the previous movie, which is also my (only) problem in the book.

You cannot put everything in the movie and I understand it. And to my surprise, I was okay with most of the changes more than the changes they did in Order of the Phoenix and the rest of the movies. Of course, the book is obviously better but they put out most of the important stuff in the movie.

But, there were two changes that I am not okay with in the movie:

-Voldemort’s past in the movie wasn’t explained in its complete form from the book. That was the most important driving force of the movie! I am not very satisfied.
-The Burrow on fire? Was that even important? That wasn’t even in the book and it didn’t do much for the plot in the movie.

But hey! It’s only fewer changes that I wasn’t okay with compared to the other movies, with the most changes I wasn’t okay with is Prisoner of Azkaban.

And now, the changes I am okay with. Since there were a lot, I am going to list down a few:

-Instead of showing the Prime Minister in the beginning of the book, they showed the actual incidents in the bridge and in Diagon Alley in the first scene. This excited me and I am sure it excited both the readers and the non-readers.
-I was okay with Dumbledore’s funeral scene being cut in the movie only because the scene where everyone in Hogwarts raised their wands in honor of Dumbledore was emotional enough. (I had tears coming out for god’s sakes) Without that part, then I would have been upset.
-The small battle in Hogwarts was cut. I think they’re saving this up for the bigger, better battle in Hogwarts in the part two of the final movie.

The cinematography is really great and the special effects make it very realistic. And of course, the movie is very emotional compared to the rest of the movies. That’s the highlight of the entire movie, besides the performance from the cast of course. It seems like these actors were born to play their characters!

While I was a bit bored, this movie got my emotions out and I was okay with most of the changes. Of course, cinematography, cast performances and special effects were great. And most of all, I enjoyed it though I enjoyed watching Order of the Phoenix better. And also, this movie just set up what will happen in the final two movies.
AaronWasserman2May 4, 2014
Not worth the extra year waiting for this film...from an original november 2008 release to a july 2009 release. Potter 6 has alot to love but suffers from the attention to teenage hormones and comdey rather than the story or elements of theNot worth the extra year waiting for this film...from an original november 2008 release to a july 2009 release. Potter 6 has alot to love but suffers from the attention to teenage hormones and comdey rather than the story or elements of the book which are far more important. Expand
jfrotylpe532Dec 21, 2012
Everybody loved this one because it centered on teens love life but in general even though it was better than the first two it followed the book least then any of the other movies. However it was very emotional,humorous,and some whatEverybody loved this one because it centered on teens love life but in general even though it was better than the first two it followed the book least then any of the other movies. However it was very emotional,humorous,and some what exciting. So it wasn't a huge failure. Expand
TheGorillaJul 19, 2011
This has to be the best Potter movie.
nboley08Aug 16, 2010
Not great, but pretty good. It's one of the weakest films in terms of interest in the story and fun, but the film definitely has emotional power, and Radcliffe is at his best by far here. Everything seems determined to gear up for the finalNot great, but pretty good. It's one of the weakest films in terms of interest in the story and fun, but the film definitely has emotional power, and Radcliffe is at his best by far here. Everything seems determined to gear up for the final entry in the series, which will likely make or break this reasonably successful film franchise. The momentum built up by this film is pretty substantial near the end. Expand
watithink123May 4, 2012
I found this film boring for almost all of it. I really just did not like this one for some reason. It was just never for me. But you guys might like it but I don't. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 3.9/10
JudddyOct 3, 2010
The series only continues to get better! This film is definitely the funniest Harry Potter film so far, as well as the most emotional, and its definitely up there for entertainment as well. The middle section of the plot is slow and not muchThe series only continues to get better! This film is definitely the funniest Harry Potter film so far, as well as the most emotional, and its definitely up there for entertainment as well. The middle section of the plot is slow and not much happens, however this is made up for by the brilliant opening and climax. The acting is the best so far and the visuals are stunning, this is truly an excellent film and I found it highly enjoyable, despite a few flaws and areas that I would change here and there. If you're looking for pure action though, this is not the film for you, and perhaps that is one of the few let downs of this film. 'Deathly Hallows' will hopefully improve on that. Expand
HPFANBOY1237Apr 9, 2017
One of the darkest and most emotional of the series, Half Blood Prince is also a fun and thrilling ride the whole way through! Even if it could have stuck to the book a little better, it is still another strong entry!
marnee96Nov 4, 2011
An excellently crafted sixth installment in the most successful film franchise in history. It's dark, intense, emotional and occasionally quite funny as teenage hormones run rampant throughout the halls of Hogwarts, despite many additions andAn excellently crafted sixth installment in the most successful film franchise in history. It's dark, intense, emotional and occasionally quite funny as teenage hormones run rampant throughout the halls of Hogwarts, despite many additions and cut-outs from the story. Not like it matters, but it's just a little disappointing for the die hard fans. Also I found that the pace was a little too slow, thus weakening the momentum of the film. 3 1/2 out 4 stars. Expand
GavGav96Aug 15, 2010
It's bizarre, but this didn't really FEEL like Harry Potter. It's quite lucky that the film manages to blend mystery, comedy, and romantic general life issues together without being a total failure - much like the book.
talhalafciDec 20, 2014
Best of the series.It's the darkest, most thrilling, and emotionally deep fantasy film ever.Great CGI sets and visual effects, breathtaking cinematography and marvellous performances from every single member of the tremendous cast.It is aBest of the series.It's the darkest, most thrilling, and emotionally deep fantasy film ever.Great CGI sets and visual effects, breathtaking cinematography and marvellous performances from every single member of the tremendous cast.It is a dramatic triumph. Expand
sreekiranMay 5, 2011
story is as of that book. some changes made and it was not gripping. screenplay is the fault here. the story with a cause must be really motivating. but screenplay fades in the first half after 30 minutes and goes dull with all unnecessarystory is as of that book. some changes made and it was not gripping. screenplay is the fault here. the story with a cause must be really motivating. but screenplay fades in the first half after 30 minutes and goes dull with all unnecessary scenes for about 20 minutes. however rare interjections of some memories were present. but still i felt that the movie dragged deeply. second half came and again movie had slow impact for about 20 minutes or so. some romance and fun scenes are not at all necessary and it disturbed the narrative deeply. any way the last 20 minutes was very good and movie concluded to a perfection. direction is top notch and thats why i feel that the movie is good. neat performance by daniel emma and rupert. micheal gambon"s performance is good. alan rickman was good in his limited role. rest all did perform good. the lead casts were perfect and thats the driving factor for the movie. technically speaking rich visuals and some eye popping special effects in the climax cave sequence along with teleportation was very good. editing needed a better work. if i had been editor i would have trimmed it altleast for 20 minutes or so. the main scenes did not get focus. the climax is cliched and ended suddenly. even though movie is 150 minutes nearly. it was entertaining for about 100 minutes. the remaining 50 minutes was nothing but real boredom. finally half blood prince is good in parts and great in certain parts and worst in some sections. i recommend the movie. Expand
AquophisDec 28, 2011
Unfortunately, this one takes departures from the book that didn't really sit well with me. It was, namely, the decision to take out the two most emotionally rousing scenes in the book - the battle at Hogwarts, and the white tomb, and replaceUnfortunately, this one takes departures from the book that didn't really sit well with me. It was, namely, the decision to take out the two most emotionally rousing scenes in the book - the battle at Hogwarts, and the white tomb, and replace the empty screentime with a shot of the Burrow burning down that never happened in the book. But despite this, the film is arguably the funniest out of them all. It's probably the worst of the lot, but it's still great. Expand
GoldenEye16Aug 21, 2010
Although the movie did follow the book very well (the best since #2), the movie was incredibly slow and boring, and the since that they added made no sense at all, like the weasley's house fire scene (what was that?). Also they barelyAlthough the movie did follow the book very well (the best since #2), the movie was incredibly slow and boring, and the since that they added made no sense at all, like the weasley's house fire scene (what was that?). Also they barely mentioned the Half-blood Prince and really didn't go in depth or include enough on the memories of Tom Riddle which was very significant in the books. The magic and effects also seemed very cartoonish instead of real and authentic. (Bring in Peter Jackson Please!) Expand
InlikeflynnJun 10, 2014
In my opinion, the worst movie of the Harry Potter saga...

In my opinion, the worst movie of the Harry Potter saga...

Why? Because everything is just filler for the next movie, things do happen in this movie however; the story advances, the characters are memorable, the production value is on the money and the stakes are high... but for more then half of the movie nothing happens, you might has well be looking at a wall, it pretty much turns around all the other points I mentioned before until the final act where the movie gather strength but not enough to make it something worth your while.

The movie's saving grace is it's production value, I can appreciate the work and effort putted into the development of this picture; actors, director, etc... but only in the final act things finally move along.
HasrionaJul 20, 2011
This Harry Potter film has a feel to it which no other Harry Potter film has. It's has a perpetual and omnipresent tone of darkness and subdued magic, brought on from its spectacular score and superb acting. It certainly is an interestingThis Harry Potter film has a feel to it which no other Harry Potter film has. It's has a perpetual and omnipresent tone of darkness and subdued magic, brought on from its spectacular score and superb acting. It certainly is an interesting creation, compelling the audience into the story throughout. It's certainly not the best Harry Potter film, but, by no measure, is it the worst. 8/10 Expand
Rutger-KikkertJun 5, 2016
Very entertaining and very intriguing at some points too. This movie looks amazing, has an incredible score and great acting. Maybe not a flawless movie, but the flaws it had weren't bothering me.
nickrovertOct 24, 2013
'The Half Blood-Prince' gives fans and viewers looking for both character-driven stories as well as more tense, dark magical premises the best of both worlds.
SusanoSep 24, 2010
While certainly not perfect, and perhaps a tad disapointing, it till delivers one of the better films of 2009, outshining the occasionally bland Avatar and delivering a rather faithful bit of fan surface too. Not the best film ever, perhapsWhile certainly not perfect, and perhaps a tad disapointing, it till delivers one of the better films of 2009, outshining the occasionally bland Avatar and delivering a rather faithful bit of fan surface too. Not the best film ever, perhaps not even the best Harry Potter film, but it's essential for Harry Potter fans, and a well directed film, with some major back up from it's source material. Expand
BrunoADJun 14, 2013
Among more hits and less error Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is better than its predecessor!

Now all believe that Voldemort has returned, Harry is the chosen one and the danger this higher, but this does not mean that there is no time for love and humor. Yes we are talking about Rupert Grint showing that Ron is more than a great friend besides Tom Felton also has its highlight, along with Emma Watson and Evanna Lynch HP6 is a great movie recovers all missing in HP5, more suspense, romace, humor and drama effects, soundtrack, art direction are the better of the first six films besides Helena Bonham Carter, Alan R. give their best for two main characters.

The only two things that made missing: more action scenes and some of the memories of Voldemort
AlnORTIZJul 11, 2011
While Half-Blood Prince isn't perfect, it sure expands upon the Harry Potter feel like no other. The plot here is sticking to the main plot, but missing out on the cool side stories. Th performances are the deepest than before and the visualsWhile Half-Blood Prince isn't perfect, it sure expands upon the Harry Potter feel like no other. The plot here is sticking to the main plot, but missing out on the cool side stories. Th performances are the deepest than before and the visuals make the film a great watch! There wasn't as much action has before, but this addition is still entertaining to watch! Expand
FilmEqualsJoyNov 10, 2012
I love this Potter! Paranoia is pumping in the veins of Hogwarts. Yates does a brilliant job with number 6. It is dark and gloomy, but also quite funny. Although humor and darkness make themselves presence, one can't ignore the feeling ofI love this Potter! Paranoia is pumping in the veins of Hogwarts. Yates does a brilliant job with number 6. It is dark and gloomy, but also quite funny. Although humor and darkness make themselves presence, one can't ignore the feeling of sadness. Well done! Expand
Pranay6Mar 15, 2014
Perhaps the best in the movie series, and the movie of the year. Despite disappointing some cinema-goers with a total remove of the fun and playful magic seen in the earliest movies the film stays as close as it can to it's page-turningPerhaps the best in the movie series, and the movie of the year. Despite disappointing some cinema-goers with a total remove of the fun and playful magic seen in the earliest movies the film stays as close as it can to it's page-turning roots. The life and death of the later books are well reflected in this movies. With only some disappointments to the book-readers such as the anti climax "fight" at the end. Managing to retain most of the actors youthful appearances added to the atmosphere. This proves any doubters harry potter can still make a fantastic translation to the screen. Expand
javis10Jan 11, 2012
The most foolish Harry Potter movie, but it is better than The Order of the Phoenix. Because it is darker, more funny, creepy, sadly and enjoyable. But is is very far from the book and there were somethings that were missing and wereThe most foolish Harry Potter movie, but it is better than The Order of the Phoenix. Because it is darker, more funny, creepy, sadly and enjoyable. But is is very far from the book and there were somethings that were missing and were necessary to understand the story. Expand
damien_k98Apr 29, 2015
Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince is the funniest of the Harry Potter's. I believe that a long running franchise should at least have one movie in the series to be the funniest and that's were Half Blood Prince stands. The movie stillHarry Potter And The Half Blood Prince is the funniest of the Harry Potter's. I believe that a long running franchise should at least have one movie in the series to be the funniest and that's were Half Blood Prince stands. The movie still keeps that Harry Potter feeling and I did shed tears at the end, but Half Blood Prince is the best summer movie of 2009 and one of my favorite Harry Potter movies! Expand
T-rAvDec 12, 2011
(September 25, 2009)
(September 25, 2009)
This movie left me with very mixed opinions. I am one of the Potter Freaks that read all the books, and I compare and contrast the book and the movie while I am viewing it for the first time. Since this is a review only on the film, though, I do not want start talking about what was missing and what did not need to be in the film. In the tradition of a Harry Potter film, it is long. Even with the length I was entertained throughout most of it, but like most lengthy films, it did have its moments that dragged on. Being a little on the let down side by the past two films, this one started out very promising. I personally felt the film started out at a high point, and just slowly kept falling down from this point and never seemed to get back up. It felt like the director did not know how to place things from the book into a movie to keep the movie going at a good pace the whole way through. Even the ending to the movie just did not seen as suspenseful as it should have been, which I will not spoil for the nine percent of people that still do not know what happened, but the movie spends so much time building up things that by the time you get to the end, you are not on the edge of your seat like you should be. This movie is visually stunning, though, and the quidditch scenes are definitely the best ones yet. Overall I felt like this movie was just a pit stop to get some silly teenage drama out of the way and get people prepared for what is to come in the next two films. The film was good, but was more on the forgettable side.
Blu_BirdApr 17, 2011
Watched it today, and i liked it. i loved to watch my fantasy which was the book come to life so i can not only watch but read my way along side harry and his friends battle throughout the wizarding world. except for cut out scenes, and editsWatched it today, and i liked it. i loved to watch my fantasy which was the book come to life so i can not only watch but read my way along side harry and his friends battle throughout the wizarding world. except for cut out scenes, and edits to scenes changing what i viewed in the book, i loved it Expand
SomeGuyYouDunnoJan 21, 2014
I was very disappointed with this movie. I watched all the movies except this, and I loved them until the Half-Blood Prince. The plot is very gloomy and full of holes. There is no exciting deathmatches with wands, only a bunch of sloppy AvadaI was very disappointed with this movie. I watched all the movies except this, and I loved them until the Half-Blood Prince. The plot is very gloomy and full of holes. There is no exciting deathmatches with wands, only a bunch of sloppy Avada Kedavras. I did like plenty of parts, but the disappointment watching this was a bit overwhelming. The movie seemed impressively rushed, and you might as well not watch this unless you are a die-hard Harry Potter fan. Expand
calouroMay 29, 2016
EU NUNCA ASSISTI ESSE FILME COMPLETO, 'APENAS LIVRO, O QUE É MUITO BOM ENFIM... EU ACHO UMA BLASFEMIA NÃO TEREM POSTO A HERMIONE COM O OLHO ROXO APÓS TER LEVADO UM SOCO KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
SD.Jul 20, 2009
WHAT???? That was the response by the audience after the movie. To be honest, it would be a good question to ask if David Yates has actually read the books. Yea, he got the jist of things in the movie, however, the suspense, the questions, WHAT???? That was the response by the audience after the movie. To be honest, it would be a good question to ask if David Yates has actually read the books. Yea, he got the jist of things in the movie, however, the suspense, the questions, the mystery, where was it all. In fact, he ruined parts of the next movie by one simple scene. For the people who have read the books and seen the movie, Expand
RDJul 15, 2009
Clumsy and choppy. The important things were left out and the things added in added little and confused things for the most part. What ever happened to just condensing down a good book instead of trying to reinvent the whole thing. This Clumsy and choppy. The important things were left out and the things added in added little and confused things for the most part. What ever happened to just condensing down a good book instead of trying to reinvent the whole thing. This movie should have been a lot better. Expand
RaymondR.Jul 16, 2009
As a film, it deserves a 7 out of 10, which I gave out. It has some witty and intense scenes, quickly followed by an uneven plot, which is barely even explained in the movie. As an adaptation on the other hand, it didn't do that well. As a film, it deserves a 7 out of 10, which I gave out. It has some witty and intense scenes, quickly followed by an uneven plot, which is barely even explained in the movie. As an adaptation on the other hand, it didn't do that well. People that hadn't read the book were totally lost, and wondering what people's motivations were throughout the whole book. You miss out on key scenes and character development, basically leaving the 6th installment ending the same as the 5th one (except for you know what). Malfoy's subplot was the most engaging aspect of the movie, as it lets you see his frustration and anger, something really well portrayed by the young actor. Overall, the film is entertaining, but far from perfection as others have posted. 7 out of 10 (film). 4 out of 10 as adaptation. But still, better than that insulting film about glowing vampires. Expand
TiffanyJul 17, 2009
If i hadn't read the book, maybe i wouldn't have been so dissapointed with this movie. But then again, i wouldn't understand a thing when the 7th comes around. I dont understand what they were thinking cutting every If i hadn't read the book, maybe i wouldn't have been so dissapointed with this movie. But then again, i wouldn't understand a thing when the 7th comes around. I dont understand what they were thinking cutting every good/important peice out of this movie. I could name atleast 15 things missing/wrong in this movie. I say they re-make it. Just awful, if certain parts werent funny, or they hadnt stuck that tiny little bit of action in there I would give it a 0. Expand
TimWJul 17, 2009
Flat like a tire. Drab. Was there a sound track? Stark coloring. Eviscerated the book. By far the worst H.P. movie. Ridiculous dialogue. The sort of work an ADHD meth addict would do if he were spiraling into suicidal depression. Had all the Flat like a tire. Drab. Was there a sound track? Stark coloring. Eviscerated the book. By far the worst H.P. movie. Ridiculous dialogue. The sort of work an ADHD meth addict would do if he were spiraling into suicidal depression. Had all the emotion of a tax return. Luna Lovegood earned both points I gave this film. She's the only reason to see it. She was perfect. Expand
NickB.Jul 18, 2009
Loved the film-noir style. Also, the juxtaposition of teenage relationships and the not-so-distant war was superb. It was nice to see a Harry Potter movie that was more about developing emotion, character and intent. This movie is intended Loved the film-noir style. Also, the juxtaposition of teenage relationships and the not-so-distant war was superb. It was nice to see a Harry Potter movie that was more about developing emotion, character and intent. This movie is intended to be the "calm before the storm" that will be the adaptations of the 7th book, and it does so in an emotionally satisfying way. Expand
JoradTJul 19, 2009
I thought the film was fantastic. Although it did not have as much action as the other films it certainly was able to capture a dark atmosphere very well. Most people seem to say that if you haven't read the book you won't really I thought the film was fantastic. Although it did not have as much action as the other films it certainly was able to capture a dark atmosphere very well. Most people seem to say that if you haven't read the book you won't really understand the plot but I understood it just fine and I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series. The movie overall was very balanced. Great acting, CGI, emotion and atmosphere make this something for everyone. Expand
DanaWJul 20, 2009
Great HP movie...perfect lead-up to the two last movies.
MattMJul 20, 2009
It was a good movie, if you've read the book though it is average. The storyline was completely twisted. The acting was good, the writing was horrible