Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 4, 2004
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 714 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Rox22Apr 26, 2015
One thing I don't get about this movie is all the overwhelming praise it gets. In my opinion this one of my least favorite of the Harry Potter movies.

Granted the effects are top notch, as usual, acting is mostly OK but perhaps a bit over the top at times. The plot, while interesting, feels rushed and the movie on th e whole feels like th e cliff notes to a much bigger story (one could argue that all the movies are like this, but this one just feels like it more.)

The darker atmosphere, while done well, really is brought on too quickly when compared to the lighter hearted predecessors. It felt too much like the new director was trying too hard to give it a look and feel of his own.

Overall:
HPatPoA is good movie, it just feels like it is missing something that left me thinking "Is that it?"
jalalA.KJul 27, 2010
BRILLIANT!
0 of 3 users found this helpful
AndreaDec 15, 2005
I just finished watching the first 3 Harry Potter films on DVD, in preparation for seeing the fourth film in the theatres tomorrow. Watching the films in this way really emphaszies how different the third film is from its predecessors. If I I just finished watching the first 3 Harry Potter films on DVD, in preparation for seeing the fourth film in the theatres tomorrow. Watching the films in this way really emphaszies how different the third film is from its predecessors. If I had not seen the first two films I would probabyl have rated this film a bit higher, but what bothered me was that this director chose to change both the scenery and Hogwarth's structure/routines. I liked that the first two films played up Hogwarth's similarities to traditional English boarding schools, and I was especialyl disappointed to see that this new director chose to "modernize" so many things (including the street clothing the characters wear for much of this film). Most significant is the castign change for the role of Professor Dumbledore. Another reviewere noted here that Dumbledore is the centre of the novels, and it's important to really feel that he's trustworthy as a leader. The late Richard Harris was wonderful; the new actor plays Dumbledore as a bit of a joke, and this bothered me. Dumbledore is portrayed in this film as a doddering old man, which is absolutely contrary to the books themselves and to the prior 2 films. All in all, this film will probably be most appreciated by people who haven't read the books or seen either of the previous films. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
GoldenEye16Aug 21, 2010
Definitely not as good as the first to. I feel like it lacked the craft, beauty, and authenticity of the first two films and was really immature, especially at the end. I don't understand how you can end a movie, especially Harry PotterDefinitely not as good as the first to. I feel like it lacked the craft, beauty, and authenticity of the first two films and was really immature, especially at the end. I don't understand how you can end a movie, especially Harry Potter with that last scene/image. It really felt cheesy when it should be majestic and beautiful. It wasn't bad but really I didn't like it as much. Expand
GavGav96Aug 15, 2010
High on special effects and much more spooky, funny and mature than the two previous films, but the direction seems to be a lot more lazy than the other films. This has resulted in my least favourite in the whole series (this far)
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 22, 2010
The third time around didn't charm me as well as the first two movies in the franchise. They changed the director, which had a big effect on the overall tone of the movie. It was dark and unrelenting to watch. The only thing that appealed toThe third time around didn't charm me as well as the first two movies in the franchise. They changed the director, which had a big effect on the overall tone of the movie. It was dark and unrelenting to watch. The only thing that appealed to me was how it ended and the magical scenery around Hogwarts. The rest, I could forget about it. There never was a bright moment in the movie, and the only thing Harry has to hold onto is his two friends, Hermoine and Ron. Harry has enemies, he has friends. He still hasn't fully understood that he will in the end have an epic battle with Voldemort because he has an ultimate desire too. Lord Voldemort is very powerful, but his lurking presence around the halls of Hogwarts doesn't frighten him as much as it used to. The director gives us an uncomfortable viewing experience that I wan't happy with and wish this doesn't happen again in the next film. Expand
spadenxDec 2, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall it was another basic HP film that doesnt really do much for the series. While it does start to make use of the older cast members, The acting from the young cast members is probably some of the worst in the series (A lot of over acting from them).

Also the film is rather corny through out and it doesnt even come close to the emotional feel that the book had.
csw12Mar 25, 2012
Harry Potter has suffered it's first little hiccup. I didn't really enjoy the new kind of filmmaking. The story suffers from a disjointed feel which i believe which not play well with people who have read the book, like me.
superbatJul 6, 2016
I give it a 5 because of the acting. This has to be the worst movie in the series. This was horrible compared to the book. There isn't much character development in either. This movie broke my heart.
KarlK.Sep 5, 2006
It's not as magical as the first two films. The sounds were also very poor, it doesn't seem to compliment the mood of the scenes. The only thing I liked about the movie was the environments were more detailed. Over-all, it was a It's not as magical as the first two films. The sounds were also very poor, it doesn't seem to compliment the mood of the scenes. The only thing I liked about the movie was the environments were more detailed. Over-all, it was a bit disappointing. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful